User Reviews for Fexofenadine to treat Allergic Rhinitis

Also known as: Allegra, Allegra Allergy, Allegra ODT, Aller-Ease, Mucinex Allergy, Allegra Hives

Fexofenadine has an average rating of 5.9 out of 10 from a total of 96 ratings for the treatment of Allergic Rhinitis. 49% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 35% reported a negative effect.

Fexofenadine Rating Summary

5.9/10 average rating

Compare all 271 medications used in the treatment of Allergic Rhinitis.

Reviews for Fexofenadine

Regret.... · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 2, 2020

Allegra (fexofenadine): “It took me 5 years to realize Allegra was making my life a living nightmare. I have bad allergies and take it year-round. Prior to starting Allegra I had never experienced anxiety. Overnight I started having panic attacks. My ears starting ringing all the time and I started getting this tingling/numbing in my left arm. I also started waking up with swollen hands, feet and face. I saw many doctors for these symptoms, I was in my mid 20's. Nobody could figure it out. I recently had been talking to a new allergist about all the issues and realized the correlation between days I take the med and waking up swollen so I Googled the side effects. I was horrified to see the reviews!! One lady even wrote an entire article about the tingling issue. I stopped the medication immediately and am starting to feel like my old self again. I'm angry that I've been dealing with this for so long and could've stopped it had I known.....”

Latrice · Taken for less than 1 month September 18, 2020

Allegra (fexofenadine): “I went to a clinic because I couldn't breathe very well thought I had covid 19 even though they gave me a covid test doctor looked into my nose with a flashlight and said that my nose was blocked and prescribed me with Allegra...when i tell you !!! It worked almost right away !!! No side effects an it shrunk all my nose glands an helped me breathe better!!! This is so exciting!!!!”

Dani · Taken for less than 1 month July 21, 2020

Allegra (fexofenadine): “I'm a 20 year old female. I started taking allegra because other allergy meds were too strong for me or didn't work, and I wanted to avoid lactose. :b well... I've been taking allegra 60mg for like three weeks for my food/seasonal/pet allergies and these past couple of days my stomach is a mess!!! I feel like pure trash and I'm having major panic attacks out of nowhere. Dehydration, dry mouth, chapped and painful lips, this weird scalp rash, and just feeling generally unwell. I might just switch back to Zyrtec because I'm out of options.”

Jc · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 20, 2019

Allegra (fexofenadine): “I have taken Allegra the past few years during ragweed season which I am allergic to. I take it at night so do not have drowsiness during the day. I find it effective but have one major problem which is a side effect that has caused me to stop taking it - joint pain and weakness especially in my ankles. It became unbearable. As soon as I stopped taking it , it went away. I noticed the correlation last year but thought it was a coincidence. Now I know it's not. Pharmacists and Dr's please pay attention this very real and perhaps more common than thought side effect.”

Alexa · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 12, 2020

Allegra (fexofenadine): “So, my body has a very high natural histamine level, which means that I will break out in hives with feet and hand swelling almost every day. There’s no cause, my histamine levels tend to just be high. A long time ago, my sister used to use this medicine for the same condition. Therefore, when I started breaking out, my mom recommended this to me. As soon as I started taking it, it was truly a miracle. It works so quickly and efficiently to relieve my hives and remove the swelling to allow me to be able to walk on my feet properly. I have zero side effects. It’s just a medicine that does its job, no drowsiness, no nausea. I accidentally double-dosed once and not a single problem happened. It’s an incredible medicine. I’m thankful for Allegra/fexofenadine.”

Skull Kid February 23, 2021

Allegra (fexofenadine): “Hello, I’m a 25 year old female who’s allergies have recently decided to screw me over. I’ve been on Claritin for a couple months now and it works “okay”. 3 days ago I broke out with hives and went to the hospital and got prescribed Allegra. The first day I took it it worked great! Now I’m on the second day of it and I’m having panic attacks, anxiety, diarrhea and dehydration. It is a shame because it does so well in treating my allergies but I don’t think these side effects are worth it.”

Rich · Taken for less than 1 month February 7, 2021

Allegra (fexofenadine): “I have bad allergies to a lot of things. Food, dust, animals, pollen. The list goes on. While at the doctors office, he gave me a 5mg Xyzal. It cleared up my nose within the hour and I could breathe the rest of the day. The doctor suggested taking Allegra 12 hour. So I bought some, and planned on taking it the next day. That night I was really tired before bed. Went to sleep. I woke up about 7am and stayed in bed almost the entire day. I was completely drained of energy. At 3pm i took the Allegra . The package says “non drowsy”. By 4pm I was so weak I felt like I was getting anesthesia. I had to be at work by 5pm. I drank some tea, hoping the caffeine would help. For the next few hours I struggled hard. I was completely drained of energy and my head felt foggy. It was horrible. At the 6 hour mark, I was less tired. Woke up today and decided not to take another one. What a nightmare that was. So much for “non drowsy””

Anu · Taken for less than 1 month November 22, 2020

“Very bad experience with fexofenadine, I started getting too many side effects. I was having stomach discomfort, nightmares, heart palpitations, panic attack out of nowhere. I started having anxiety issues and felt very scared.Very horrifying experience. Took only 7 tab of these( 180 mg)”

Nauseated in California September 22, 2016

Allegra (fexofenadine): “I took two 180-mg doses of Allegra for hay fever on two consecutive nights. The day after the first dose I experienced mild, intermittent nausea and reduced appetite. The morning after the second dose I was bed-ridden for 3 days with severe nausea, intermittent sweats and chills, aberrant thoughts and dreams, and headache. I did not vomit or have diarrhea nor did I have an abnormal temperature. As I write this on the fourth day I am just getting up and eating a little. This was like no stomach flu I've ever had -- I feel as though I have been poisoned. I firmly believe that my illness is a side effect from the Allegra.”

#clearingmythroat May 23, 2013

Allegra (fexofenadine): “Allegra stops the drainage and the annoying need to clear my throat (post nasal drainage). But I'm dizzy these last couple weeks since I've started it. I have a mild sore throat and headache, which I experienced previously when trying Allegra. I feel tired, nauseous and have had a strange tingling in my legs occur twice this week. I'm thinking Allegra is not a good choice for me, despite its effectiveness.”

Nikita Mosley · Taken for less than 1 month April 4, 2013

Allegra (fexofenadine): “I had been suffering from THE WORST hay fever for 3 months. I'd been to 5 different doctors and have been on umpteen different meds. Finally, the last doctor suggested I try Allegra. Within the first few hours I was feeling wonderful! Allegra is a fast acting, powerful medicine! So thankful for a doctor who knew his stuff! This will definitely be bought every allergy season!”

Julie's mom December 20, 2009

Allegra (fexofenadine): “I suffer from chronic sinusitis caused by allergies. I also had a bad case of bronchitis a year and a half ago and 3 respiratory infections since. I have tried a bunch of antibiotics, Claritin D, Zyrtec, Bendryl, Mucinex, Singulair, cough syrups and other OTC decongestants, herbal supplements, steroids, and the Neti Pot. Only the Neti Pot helped me feel better for an hour or so and washed away a lot of the allergens but the sinus inflammation and bronchial irritation due to post nasal drip returned fast. I just started using Allegra 3 days ago and the difference is remarkable. I can breath again! I also sleep better and I don't feel tired all the time. I have not experienced any side-effects so far.”

Dacamille December 2, 2014

Allegra (fexofenadine): “After about 4 years of terrible hay fever, lasting from about September to May, I have finally found my cure! I have tried countless allergy medications, including Zyrtec. None of them seemed to work until my doctor finally told me to try Allegra 180mg. I have not experienced any side effects, except I did have a sore throat about a week after starting Allegra. I definitely recommend this product.”

NCResident · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 19, 2016

Allegra (fexofenadine): “It seemed to me the reviews here were overly negative for Allegra. For me, Allegra has the fewest side effects. I've never had any drowsiness issues with Allegra.I have noticed that it takes about two hours to get the maximum benefit although starts to work in 20 minutes. It does lose potency after 7-8 hours. I sometimes cut the pills in half so can you extend the effect a little longer. It does provide excellent relief. For extreme pollen levels, I think Zyrtec or Xyzal are a little stronger. But, I would try this because it seems to less side effects if you have not been a regular antihistamine user.”

Down sim drums · Taken for less than 1 month December 24, 2017

Allegra (fexofenadine): “Don’t buy the worthless medicine at all it doesn’t work. I wasn’t having a good day, all day I couldn’t breathe and it was bugging me. So I bought Allegra. And I could tell you, it didn’t work at all. It was like I never even took medicine. It didn’t help or nothing I couldn’t breathe all night and it was frustrating. Don’t buy!”

nurse23456 · Taken for 10 years or more March 25, 2017

Allegra (fexofenadine): “I take allergy preparations year round, Claritin in fall and winter, and Allegra spring and summer. Both claim to be effective immediately, (within hours) however, my experience is that it takes a week for them to work, so, for a week in spring, and a week in the fall, I take both, otherwise I am miserable with runny nose itchy eyes, sore throat, etc. Both claim to be non drowsy, but for me this is not the case, so I take them at night. I give allegra a middle of the road 5 as a rating, because it's better than nothing!”

ItchyDrippyNose · Taken for less than 1 month September 11, 2018

Allegra (fexofenadine): “I normally use Claritin but ran out. I took 1 Allegra 12 hour and it was completely worthless like I took nothing. I had to wait and suffer for 12 hours until I could buy some new Claritin and that worked.”

Sebbe · Taken for less than 1 month May 10, 2013

Allegra (fexofenadine): “God bless the one who invented Allegra! I had been snoring all the time even during summer and I felt my nose was wet and tickled me all the time. I tried everything to stop that instantly snoring problem when I took only one pill it just stopped. I didn't snore or sniff a whole day, and before that, a day without sniffing would be a miracle. I didn't even have to wait one hour it just work direct!”

Ithaca · Taken for less than 1 month June 15, 2012

Allegra (fexofenadine): “Allegra 24 hour helps my hay fever symptoms. But, this medication dries out my lung tissue to much and makes me cough. I have been off Allegra for a week and I am still coughing and have LOTS of non infectious mucus coming out of my lungs. My lungs hurt from coughing. I am 62 year old female with mild asthma.”

P Towers · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 2, 2016

Allegra (fexofenadine): “I have been an allergy sufferer for a long time. When I started taking ALLEGRA 24 hrs. it worked just fine. But, the problem is that this medication works as intended it work for 24 hrs. straight and it keep you awake for 24 hrs. Too. So, if I take a pill of ALLEGRA, at night it keeps me awake. In other words, I stay awake for most of the night and get not sleep at all. This is the reason why I don’t recommend ALLEGRA because it will keep awake and get no sleep at all. I need to find other way to fight my allergies.”

Dazza June 22, 2019

“For the first time in well over 10 years I stood in a field of grass today on a day forecast as “very high grass pollen”. I haven’t sneezed once, my eyes have watered maybe a couple of times. I was classified “class 5 of 6” allergy (unsure of what scale) by my previous GP and trialed on Grazax, unfortunately that wound up not suiting after a wisdom tooth extraction. Throughout the years my former GP gave various steroid nasal sprays, and antihistamines, I tried Prevalin, which worked decently well. All of this is irrelevant however as my new GP gave me Telfast 1x120mg Fexofenadine tablets and a Avamys nasal spray this year in May and I am in disbelief with how well it is working. No major exhaustion, possibly some very mild nausea. But for me personally this has been a life changing experience. I’m now alive the entire year, not just half of it. I would hope everyone can find the level of relief I’m feeling.”

Mschnicke · Taken for 10 years or more May 16, 2012

Allegra (fexofenadine): “I have been taking Allegra for over a decade when it was only available on prescription. Over the years my insurance company forced me to try all the allergy medicines that went OTC in hopes that they wouldn't have to continue to pay for Allegra by prescription. However, nothing ever worked for me like Allegra. The other drugs caused side effects that I could not tolerate. I have no side-effects from Allegra what-so-ever. It has been a miracle medication for me and my year-round allergies.”

mindofabull February 7, 2017

Allegra (fexofenadine): “I was prescribed Allegra after years of using Sudafed over the counter believing that my sinuses were the problem. My GP and I finally managed to figure out that the problem was allergic rhinitis. I take 180mg on a daily basis and since I've been taking I don't suffer with too much blockage and congestion however I have gained weight since taking this daily. I am doing a trial run of going without Allegra and also Cerazette to see whether bloating goes down. It's brilliant for my allergies without a doubt, the pro's outweigh the cons however I cannot continue gaining weight. Within 6 months of taking these alongside Cerazette daily I have gained 1st. I am trying to find a new alternative although this has worked brilliantly.”

JLW79 · Taken for less than 1 month August 16, 2012

Allegra (fexofenadine): “I have had bad allergies my entire life and was given many different medicines to try. This is the first medicine that actually worked for me. I took one 24hr dose yesterday at 4pm and today at 10am my nose is still clear. The only problem I had was that my blood pressure spiked up to 146/93 from a normal range of 120/70. During that time I had a terrible headache and felt extremely dizzy. I went to bed and woke up to recheck my blood pressure. It was still elevated at 127/86 and I still have a slight headache, but I can breathe.”

allergiessuck · Taken for less than 1 month January 16, 2015

Allegra (fexofenadine): “I took Allegra 24 hours recently for the past two days. It works fast and relieves every symptom, but has only lasted for me for up to 8 hours. I then end up having to supplement with Benadryl but it makes me drowsy.”

Learn more about Allergic Rhinitis