User Reviews for Exenatide

Also known as: Bydureon, Bydureon BCise, Byetta

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Exenatide.

Exenatide Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 167 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Exenatide to treat Diabetes, Type 2

Bydureon (exenatide): "I have been on Bydureon for three weeks now. I take a weekly injection. Each time, so far, I have heartburn the day after injecting. The heartburn lessens a bit through the week. Also have periods of nausea, but these symptoms are very mild compared to Victoza. Victoza made me vomit and I could not eat anything while I was taking it."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2018

Bydureon BCise (exenatide): "I will be starting on Christmas Day, 2017. I must say that reading the reviews I've read, I am scared to death to try this. I only saw very few comments with good reviews. The majority comments are very scary. I'm so nervous and afraid to even start. I'm going to talk with my husband and share some of the good and bad comments with him and get his take on what I should do. Although my Endo Dr explained much of what I read regarding side effects. I not sure if it's worth ALL the illnesses. I've already been through so much with the diabetes. I'm about sick of it all. I like to wish you all well and much blessings too. Take good care everyone."

SisterP (taken for less than 1 month) December 24, 2017

Bydureon (exenatide): "This pen delivery system is 3rd world and they know it ,as they include an additional needle in every pack They seriously need an intelligent research centre with competent people ,not the ones that they currently employ"

JohnRRRRRRRRRRRR (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 21, 2017

Bydureon (exenatide): "I took Bydureon for a week with no ill effects, but after the second dose I became very ill and unable to keep anything down. I ended up in the hospital, severely dehydrated and with chronic renal failure. I cannot recommend this medication."

3snakes December 17, 2017

Bydureon (exenatide): "I started using Bydureon 5 weeks ago. I have not had any problems using this med. I was very afraid of trying it from some of the comments I read. I take it out of refrigerator 15 minutes before hand and follow the instructions to a tea. I have had one time I bruised but nothing bad. I also had a lump one time but it did not hurt at all. I have lost 14 pounds since I started the medication. I have not changed my eating habits. I find I feel better in the mornings since using Bydureon. I will be going in this week to have my A1C tested. Then I will know more. Hope it continues to work for me."

Deenenhe December 13, 2017

Bydureon (exenatide): "Had extreme itching with red spots swollen lumps all over including head. I was feeling very weak and fainted then was rushed to emergency where they are treating me to bring the allergies down. I've stopped using this drug as it was not a pleasant experience for me . The idea is to let drug company know feedback as never had this experience in my life .I did try to call Australian number but no one picked up ."

Nick121221 December 7, 2017

Bydureon (exenatide): "I just finished my fourth injection of Bydureon this morning. Fortunately, I HAVE NOT HAD ANY side effects as others have stated. I followed the steps carefully for the injection pen and things went very smoothly. (I did use a thick potholder in my hand to absorb the shock of "tapping" to mix the medication.) The whole injection process took about 5-6 minutes. After reading a suggestion about the lump and using the ice pack, I did use an ice pack each week and I have not had any lump form after these four weeks. I keep the ice pack in place for 15 minutes. One note: I don't think Bydureon suppresses my appetite as well as Byetta did. I'll continue with it until my next A1C test. Once a week is better than twice a day!"

Javafox (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2017

Bydureon (exenatide): "I have only just started this medication. I have not experienced any bad side effects. I am very hopeful that this medication will get my A1C to goal. I do take glimepiride as my oral agent, with that medication alone I have gone from an A1C of 8.1 to 7.1 in 1 month! When I took the first injection, it was not like what I was shown in the Endo office, its not a pen(at least mine wasn't) mine, I had to put all the parts together, pull the medicine into the syringe and play nurse almost if you will. The needle is rather large. it didn't seem to hurt and I've experienced no side effects this far. Looking forward to great results."

Jessmarie7130 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2017

Bydureon (exenatide): "I have been on this medication for 5 months. I have lost 20 lbs. I have experience SERIOUS heartburn to the point of it waking me up from my throat burning. I still crave sweets towards the end of my shot wearing out for the week, but I continued to lose weight despite eating sweets. My doctor reported my sugars were high both times after testing alc (somewhere in the 6.0 to 6.3 range). I have started wanting to throw up a couple of days after my shot. Weird this just started. I can no longer get free samples of this, so I will be switching to Farxiga. It is bittersweet having to go off of this medication. I have tried Victoza & Trulicity too. Trulicity equalled heartburn. Victoza no symptoms but very little weight loss."

Buy (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 3, 2017

Bydureon (exenatide): "I am a 70 year old male and have been taking diabetic medication for 10 years or more. The last two years I have been increasing my injections with little success in lowering my A1C. I started using Bydureon 6 weeks ago. The first two weeks were pretty rough, nausea, tired, headache. Week 6 no ill symptoms. Blood sugar has averaged 95, I have been taking it 3 to 4 times a day. No lumps. Needle and pen are pretty intimidating."

Army Guy1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 1, 2017

Bydureon (exenatide): "Bydureon has worked well for me. It took me a few uses to get accustomed to how to mix and inject, plus the 23-gauge needle is not pain free, BUT the last 8 months my A1c has been 5.2 & 5.3 consistently. I use it with Lantus and metformin. One advantage is that is helps keep my sugar from getting too low from the Lantus. I have also been able to lose some weight. I used Victoza until Express Scripts no longer paid for it, but Bydureon has been an effective substitute."

Type 2 for 15 years. (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 23, 2017

Bydureon (exenatide): "I gave myself an injection of the medicine in my doctor's exam room under the direction of the drug rep following instruction on administering the drug and diet instruction. No one checked my blood sugar level nor my medical history. I assumed the injection was safe because my doctor allowed the rep to give it to me. The next morning I awoke to a panicked husband because I was thrashing about in the bed and he could not waken me. He had given me a peppermint orally and called 911. I could see his face but could not speak to respond to him. My feet and legs were cramping but I could not communicate this to him nor my daughter. The EMTs gave me glucose and I recovered quickly. My husband and daughter fearfully watched me for weeks."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 22, 2017

Bydureon (exenatide): "I took Bydureon for 5 weeks. The first week was ok. After the second shot I got several pencil size and larger lumps on my stomach, along with a fist size rash around the injections site. I never noticed a drop in my numbers or a loss of appetite. I have Lupus along with the Diabetes, so I consider myself to have a high tolerance for pain, but the needles used for the injections are HUGE! I quit taking them and am going back to Victoza. P.S. Lumps do not seem to be going away at all yet."

Not Happy! (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2017

Bydureon (exenatide): "I've been on Bydureon for 3 and 1/2 years. To date I have lost 103 lbs. At times I do get light headed but other than that no side effects. When I first started it I was sick as a dog due to my body adjusting to the medicine/lower blood sugar levels. The nausea sucks sometimes when your eating a delicious meal and can't take another bite without puking it all up. This medicine will definitely tell you when you've had enough to eat. I love it. Feel like I'm in the best shape of my life. 34 and 143 lbs. My doctor took me off the obese list 6 months ago. Stick with it and you'll see the results."

Bydureonbacker October 19, 2017

Bydureon (exenatide): "I have been on bydureon since January 27,2017. I am updating my fellow users. I was 235lbs when I started and with exercise and low carb diet I am happy to say I am now 152lbs now. I have 12lbs left to reach my goal of 140lbs. I encourage anyone taking this for diabetes take advantage and diet and exercise. It really works, you just have to make a little effort along with the meds."

Lorrie44 October 11, 2017

Bydureon (exenatide): "I've been taken Bydureon for 4 weeks now and have lost 5kg The only side effects I have had is heartburn and nausea and headaches but has stopped. I do recommended this drug to anyone. It does suppress the appetite really well I take it with Metformin I get it through Prescription which cost $5.60 a month"

Hotzy (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2017

Bydureon (exenatide): "I was prescribed Bydureon about 4 months ago when my insurance stopped paying for Byetta. I had been on Byetta for 13 years and it was working well for me. I finally stopped taking Bydureon 3 weeks ago. I was sick the entire time. I did not relate it to Bydureon at first. I was aware my blood sugar was 300-400 while taking Bydureon. I then realized it was because I was originally taking Byetta and Bydureon reacts to the Byetta that is left in the system. My blood sugar never came down much while taking Bydureon. I had a headache constantly, stomach ache, diarrhea, upper respiratory infection, sinus drainage, joint pain, leg pain, feet hurt, my stomach felt full or stuffed all the time. And, my blood sugar remained high."

SgRHO August 31, 2017

Bydureon (exenatide): "I have been on it 8-9 weeks? Only side effect I have had outside the last two days is loss of appetite which is wonderful for a binge eater like myself. You not only get full sooner, you almost feel sick. I don't mind, reminds me I need to keep myself in check. Until the last two days, I have not had the nausea and vomiting others seem to have. I don't know why it decided to start. Vomited two days in a row now. Hope it doesn't continue, I otherwise love it."

T2!7 August 26, 2017

Bydureon (exenatide): "If you don't have a gall bladder, suffer any form of stomach/bowel issue or have an arthritic issue (me dupuytrens/ledderhose) then DON'T take this drug. Seriously it has completely stuffed up my stomach which is still ongoing 3 weeks after stopping it. I found it also inflamed my dupuytrens. I also had the autoimmune response to the injections and now have numerous lumps on my stomach. I used it 5 times."

Jo Barnes August 23, 2017

Byetta (exenatide): "10 months and 36 kilos lighter sugar controlled hba1c 5.8 amazing medicine take byetta and metformin"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 15, 2017

Bydureon (exenatide): "I have been on Bydureon for just under a week. I have not been able to eat very much. I am nauseous every day and no very little energy. I've been considering going to see my doctor to see whats wrong with me but I see from these messages that it's probably from the injection. Of course, I've lost a few pounds because I cannot eat anything. I HATE HOW I FEEL!"

Feeling terrible (taken for less than 1 month) August 14, 2017

Bydureon (exenatide): "Terrible drug took shot for 5 month heartburn, nausea vomiting continue. Quit taking 3 weeks ago. Feel terrible"

Sic August 11, 2017

Bydureon (exenatide): "I took my first dose of bydureon last night. Today, I am in intense body wide pain, stomach cramping, diarrhea, headache and hives everywhere. My face, tongue and throat swelled. I just want to crawl in a hole and stay there. My doctor switched me to this because regular insulin burns on injection and worsens my neuropathy. I have tried all the pens and tablets on the market, but I react to them all. I can barely hold my head up as I write this."

lper July 31, 2017

Byetta (exenatide): "Just started Byetta this week. No nausea! I am tired but only in the evening. I usually sleep 7 hours a night, and during this first week am sleeping 9 hours a night. I am eating FAR less and feeling completely satisfied. I am HOPEFUL..."

photogalSeattle July 28, 2017

Bydureon (exenatide): "Update I have been on bydureon for six months now and with diet and 40 minutes of exercise a day I have lost 64 lbs. This drug has been a great for me. I never thought I would ever take it off but I am. I only have 24 more lbs to go to be at my normal weight. I have had very minimal side effects. If you are taking this for diabetes take advantage of what can happen with diet and exercise."

Lorrie44 July 25, 2017