User Reviews for Exenatide

Also known as: Bydureon, Byetta

Learn more about Exenatide.

Exenatide Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 160 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Exenatide to treat Diabetes, Type 2

Bydureon (exenatide): "I have been on bydureon because I dont produce enough insulin. I took my fifth injection just on Monday and with diet and exercize I have so far lost 17 lbs. I am very happy I have this to aid in my weight loss. oh and so far no side effects."

Lorrie44 February 23, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Bydureon (exenatide): "This med worked well for the first 6 weeks. I had lost about 20 lbs and liked that part. The next 4 or 5 shots didn't seem like it did anything. The lumps remained though. After about a month off the drug the lumps started to go away and the sulfur burps, stomach cramps, constipation, nausea and intermittent diarrhea took over. I was sick about 2 months as the lumps slowly dissolved. It took another 3 months before I felt normal again. I think the med didn't dissolve like it should have. Then it all released at once and made me sick. Also the needle was HUGE and a pain to get ready. I switched to Trulicity lately and am having good results."

Casadejoe (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Bydureon (exenatide): "After becoming allergic to Metformin for my type 2 diabetes, I began taking the Bydureon 2mg shot once weekly. I've been on it for 10 months now & must say it has changed my life. My A1C is now 5 ... *claps* My side effects have been: knots at the injection site and sulfur burps ... *ack* But overall I'm thrilled with Bydureon."

Darby Rose (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 11, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Bydureon (exenatide): "I have been on bydureon for 3 injections. I was put on it to aid with weight loss cause my body doesn't produce enough insulin. I'm so happy no side effects so far, I lost 8lbs in 2 weeks and 4 days. I'm also excersizing with the injections and eating right. I'm happy I have something to help the weight loss."

Herqween (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Bydureon (exenatide): "on insulin and bydueron 2 mg been on it 8 months been ok but last month severe vomiting diarrhea. I don't eat for 2-4 days at all now smell of food gives me projectile vomiting. I stopped today"

raj chabra (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 10, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Bydureon (exenatide): "I have been taking his medicine for about four months now. When I started it I was also taking janumet everyday and the shot once a week. Everything was great until the 3rd month. Started having a lot of lows. Lowest so far was 31. Ended up in the ER a few times. Made another visit to my doctor that checked my A1C and it was down from 9 to a 7 in 4 months. She took me off the janumet but I'm still having lows just not as many. When I'm not having lows, I average around 140. I have lost about 15 lbs. I'm never hungry anymore. Other than the low blood sugar sometimes, it's seems to helping a lot. Hopefully I can figure out how to stop bottoming out."

Coreyt December 31, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Bydureon (exenatide): "After 10 years on Oral medications for Type 2, I was finally advised to go on injectable Bydureon. I am adverse to needles and never injected before. I have been injecting for 3 weeks. First week, was trial with no issues to report. Second week, I had a injection sight reaction- some bruising which faded over a number of days. Third week, no issues. I have not seen most of the negative side effects. No sickness, No Nausea. I did notice that the medicine makes you feel full, but it did not take away my appetite. I had did have some mild heart burn. Not sure if it is associated. The Pen/Needle is larger and a little more intimidating. I have not seen any significant improvement in my glucose control at this point."

New Patient (taken for less than 1 month) December 6, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Bydureon (exenatide): "Been on Bydureon for 11 weeks during well on it have lost 13 lbs since I been on it."

Black Cherry December 2, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Byetta (exenatide): "I have being on Byetta 5mcg&Lantus 3mths I've had constant nausea which varies in severity. I haven't had a reduction of bgl they are still quiet high; I am not at all sure whether both meds have really worked for me over the past 3mths&my diabetic educator thinks the same&my endocrinologist will most likely change my meds altogether next review. In one week i'm going on 10mcg...I hope that it works but not holding my breath - I've never had the brilliant results that others on here have had - the nausea has never gone away but the earlier dizziness did...although it hasn't worked for me I believe that it's worth trying, I did have hopes that worked for me, there are other meds & I will get my bgl's in a normal range&lower my HbA1c"

aussie-girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 30, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Byetta (exenatide): "I have being taking Byetta & Lantus for 3mths, i'm allergic to metformin. my blood glucose has been very high 22.8 being the highest & average 12-13 now the highest is 18.2 average 10-14 fasting morning readings 9-10 which is still very high - i'm ambivalent with my feelings of byetta - i am disappointed as I really thought it would work brilliantly for me...i've always had nausea as the main side-effect it's severity varies somedays it's shocking other days dissipates with a ginger tea but it's never not being there! I have a review with my GP which will up byetta to 10mcg & then reveiw with endocrinlogist 2mths where he might restart me on a brand new protocol - - which might be a good thing - - as this clearly isn't working"

aussie_girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 29, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Bydureon (exenatide): "Been on this drug for three weeks. Nothing. Weight dropped a couple pounds in week 2, but went back up. Blood sugar readings do not show any improvement. So does it really take 6-7 weeks before blood sugars drop and weight loss starts?"

Sugarless November 28, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Injection day- So this stuff is supposed to bring my A1C number down (6.0) and my fasting glucose (95) plus I may lose weight and it will control my PCOS symptoms. I was nauseous and very sleepy. Took nap, went for a brisk walk around neighborhood and played with my kid. Nothing bad to report except that it hurts to eat anything more than half my fist size (and my hands are small). Day 2- vomiting begins! I was violently hurling. Couldn't go to work and I kept passing out. Went to urgent care as it was a holiday and my PCP was not in. They tell me to take these nausea meds and if I keep throwing up I need to go to ER. Could not eat but a few bites of food the entire day. Rating it higher than 1 since I did lose weight- 7 lbs so far."

Poly Unicorn November 25, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Bydureon (exenatide): "I have used this Pen 5 months and so far I have more energy, sugars lower. Feel better overall. A little bleeding from injection, but I can live with that. AIC pending but I know it will be much better. Definitely worth a try."

Doug1959 November 22, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Bydureon (exenatide): "This will be my 4th Shot and taking Metformin 1000mgs daily I have lost some weight which is a Positive hope to lose more but so far the shot is Good no side effects at this time !"

CountrySwag (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Bydureon (exenatide): "I started Bydueron 10 weeks ago. I was fine the first 6 weeks. On week 7, I became extremely ill. Vomiting, explosive diarrhea, gas pains and bloating like never before, long flatulence every few minutes (how embarrassing!), and sulfur-tasting belching (like rotten eggs). Endo dr. said it wasn't the med. I went to my primary doctor because I wasn't sure if it was a virus. All of my tests came back negative. Third week, same thing. I decided not to take the injection and notified endo. She told me to stop metformin and resume shot. Last week, had shot and condition worsened. She finally told me to stop the injections. It's been four weeks of suffering. Not worth it! This stuff is poison to me!"

Marillian November 10, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Bydureon (exenatide): "On Bydureon since January 2016. The most significant problem from the beginning r the small hard lumps at inj.site. It has improved since I 1st began. I find the plunger is difficult to press down firmly. Tap gently 20x then 1/4 turn till 80 to mix. It's recm'd to hold in place for 10secs. I put my foot on a low step stool to firmly keep a 45 degree angle from hip to knee. For mths no symptoms only lumps. Now I'm here sharing my story bcuz I'm suspicious it's responsible for these bouts w/severe nausea w/VERY LOUD STOMACH/GUT NOISES. I'm taking Metformin too. I've lost 53lbs.Size 14 to 8. A1C pending. Can't confirm nausea/growling stomach/belching r caused by it. Stopped ALL WHITE FOODS/MOST SUGAR. Need2know if I'm hurting myself 2b cont'd"

Rawkluvah (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 4, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Bydureon (exenatide): "This is my second post. I took the once weekly shot for 12 weeks. At week 9 I started having diarrhea. The "get to the bathroom fast" kind. Also had sulfur burps. I did not take the 13th shot when it was due 4 days ago, per Drs order, to see of diarrhea would stop. It hasn't. How long does this stay in your system? I wish I had never started this medication."

Billsdeb (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 12, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Bydureon (exenatide): "Second time Dr, put me on bydureon. Been on for 6 weeks this time and my sugar level hasn't been below 200 except twice. Lost a few lbs. No side effects. I feel ok but want sugar level back in the 100s when I was taking the another med which was worked great. The only reason I am off that med is because the military switched do to cost (budget). I need to get my A1c check."

Pacman321 October 4, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Bydureon (exenatide): "I have been on Bydurion, one shot a week, for 12 weeks. All seemed to be going well until the past two weeks when I have experienced sulfa burps (rotten egg smell, gas, and diarrhea. I never know when it will hit. It usually lasts two or three days, (and nights so I'm lacking sleep) then I have a few good days before it starts all over again. I have lost some weight and my blood sugars are down, sometimes too low. But, I am wondering if these bouts of burps, gas and diarrhea are worth it."

Billsdeb (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 4, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Bydureon (exenatide): "One year using this crap. I'm a little overweight and it takes 4 or 5 attempts to finish the injection. Tonight it took six and then I hurled it across the room. The oversized, painful needle clogs with fat and stops up. NO MORE!"

Rodababe (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 4, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Bydureon (exenatide): "Worked great. I felt awesomely good. My insurance put me in the donut hole. Now I can't afford it. "

cd48x (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 19, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Bydureon (exenatide): "I have been injecting once a week for two months. I have suferred disgusting belching, lack of appetite, diarrhoea, vomiting. I am fortunate to be working but I am off sick again because I cannot venture outside of the house because of liquid pouring out of both ends!! When I vomited this morning a lump of gunk surfaced which I think was the coagulated bydureon. I am not willing to take this awful drug again. The side effects do not outweigh benefits."

eGGBREATH September 6, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Bydureon (exenatide): "On Bydureon about a year. I'm 57, been diagnosed type 2 Diabetic for about 8 years. On Insulin + Metformin. Doc prescribed this for me originally because I just couldn't get my A1C below 7.0 even though my daily numbers rarely climbed over 130 even right after eating. The Pros: A1C dropped into the low 4's and remains at that level. Lost 20 - 25 lbs and the weight has stayed off. Pen device is not difficult to set up and use once a week, takes about 5 minutes max to do the injection routine and I've only had 1 instance total in a year's time of a pen not working properly. The Cons: HUGE needle that hurts. Bad nausea after injection and occasional itchy hard lumps at injection site. One major B/sugar crash - low 50's."

Type 2 Guy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 5, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Bydureon (exenatide): "2 shots in belly. Both bleed #2 turn black & blue. 3 and 4 shot in thigh above knee no bleeding no black and blue no lumps or bumps. Before bydureon I was on Victoria four 4 years it quit working. On victory very dizzy bad sulfur taste & bad gas could not be around people. Before I started bydureon be jumped to 235 after 4 shots morning be now 160. 6# lost in 4 weeks. 5th shot 08/18/2016. I pay $621 for 3 months"

radio1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 17, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Bydureon (exenatide): "This is my 3rd review. Just had my A1C checked at my 3 month visit. Started this med with an 8.4 in 3 months it's down to 6.2. This drug has been the only thing that has worked for me in the past 10 yrs. I've been on so many diabetic meds. Last year my a1c was 10.2 got it to 8.4 with farxiga. Since my last weigh in at the dr. I actually had lost 10 pounds. Started this med at 184 now im 174. Still took 3 months to lose 10 pounds. Thats better than a gain though. My only remaining side effects are knots under the skin at injection site. They somethings itch really bad too. Other than that ive adjusted really well."

FreidaM46 August 3, 2016