User Reviews for Exenatide to treat Diabetes, Type 2

Also known as: Bydureon, Byetta, Bydureon BCise

Exenatide Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 165 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Exenatide

Bydureon (exenatide): "I took three doses of Bydureon. Each left lumps under my skin for weeks, but the third one gave me an 8x6 inch rash that would not calm down for weeks and itched like crazy. The first two injections did not have this reaction. I experienced severe nausea and headaches, and had to be prescribed an anti-nausea medication. It was so bad I missed two days of work. I never got to the point where my blood sugar could be tested to see if the drug was effective because I stopped taking it. Luckily, my A1C marked me as borderline diabetic, so I managed my blood sugar with diet and exercise instead. All bodies are different, but this medicine was not for me."

Phesti (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2019

Bydureon (exenatide): "I have taken Bydureon (exenatide) a year and it helps glucose levels for my type 2 diabetes and the Bydureon has worked for weight loss too. However the side effects of exenatide are I have started to have nausea and diarrhea after taking and will seek out an alternative covered by insurance."

Jh (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 19, 2019

Bydureon (exenatide): "I have been using Bydureon for 3 weeks so far, it has had zero effect on my fasting blood sugar, the side effects so far are bruising, dizzy spells. extreme mood swings and terrible constipation. Not going to stick it out any longer to see if it ever starts working. The price insurance was charged was $780 for a month supply. I didn't care for the design of the pens and for having to mix up a powdery substance before injecting it. I would rather try Victoza but my insurance wouldn't pay for it, yet it will pay for this junk which is almost as much, doesn't help my blood pressure and gives me side effects "

MaryAleta (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2019

Bydureon BCise (exenatide): "I have been taking Bydureon BCise for 6 weeks and have had no issues. If I eat the wrong foods or too much I have severe stomach pain, but if I control my food intake all is well. I have not had my AIC checked yet, but I am hoping it went down."

Cinder (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2019

Bydureon (exenatide): "I have been on medication for 4 weeks now and my sugar readings are higher than ever. I’m so confused because everyone is saying theirs have dropped. It’s like my appetite has increased! What could be wrong!"

Bizzle April 18, 2019

Bydureon (exenatide): "I have been on bydureon on 2 different occasions over the last year. The first time I took it for about 3 months. I quit because I was getting very lightheaded and nauseous as well as my sugar would drop very low after an injection. After about 6 mos. I thought I'd try again. I changed my injection time to after a meal and would skip my metformin at that meal. It seemed to take care of the sugar crash but still feel awful most the time. Nausea, loss of appetite, and lethargic. I think I'll just stop again. PS. It did work . My a1c dropped from high 7's to low 6's. Just miserable with the side effects."

Matsc (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 28, 2019

Bydureon BCise (exenatide): "Using Bydureon BCise for 6 months without any issues. It appears to have only kept my type 2 Diabetes with very small change at this time. I did have 2 pens that malfunction by jamming and unable to get the pen to depress and inject the dosage , even with hard pressure against the skin. I'm in the process of getting a replacement for these Bydureon BCise faulty or defective pens since they're very costly."

Captjoe (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 10, 2019

Bydureon (exenatide): "Bydureon Pen is about 3 times bigger than the Novolog I was used to. But half of it is for mixing medicine. My sugar dropped from low 300s to mid 200s the very first week. No side effects except feeling full the first few days, but that wore off. My main problem is with the plunger jamming every few pens. I take the pen out of the fridge about 20 min before injection, and smack the mixture about 100 times for it to be uniform... and yes it still jams. I once had to miss about 60-75% of my dose because one pen actually took all of my strength to extract the dose which shot out outside of my body, and at a hundred bucks, I cant afford to waste."

Ed (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 8, 2019

Bydureon BCise (exenatide): "This medication is backordered half of the time leaving me with no shot when it is time to take the weekly shot. This is NOT helpful to someone who relies on this medication to keep blood sugar in check. What is the point of taking it if it is backordered all the time!"

Medication Often Back Ordered (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2019

Bydureon BCise (exenatide): "I got off Metformin as that caused a Lactic Acidosis reaction for me and went onto Bydureon Bcise at the recommendation of my Doctor and a Diabetes Education consultant. I have been on this medication for 9 months and the once a week shot is easy to use with only the small bump at the injection site being the only downside I have experienced. Have not had any upset stomach issues. My A1C went from 7.2 to 5.9 with no change in diet."

Ron (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 7, 2019

Bydureon BCise (exenatide): "Today is my first injection of this new medication. I’m a little apprehensive but hopeful. I’ll update as soon as I have anything to report."

Young Again (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2019

Bydureon (exenatide): "Bydureon Bcise worked effectively in keeping my glucose level low. My fasting glucose readings were all +/- 100 so my numbers were pretty good (were 250 +/-). However, had I known of the risk for Gastric Paresis (GP) I would NEVER taken this at all. I had just taken my 9th injection (9th week) when the GP happened. I can't express how debilitating it is. I'm hoping that as the Bydureon diminishes I may recover -- but it's doubtful. Be warned -- the cure may be worse that the disease."

Rutle8 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2019

Bydureon (exenatide): "I have had a severe reaction to this medicine. Anxiety, panic attacks, extreme irritability, and restlessness. It feels like all my nerves are exposed. Very painful. Dr. prescribed hydroxaline (sp) and it knocks me out. There is no indication in the side effects about a reaction like this, but I have had it for 6 days since the initial injection."

JC (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2019

Bydureon BCise (exenatide): "I had been on Victoza for a couple years with great results but switched to Bydurion Bcise on the advice of a drug rep. I have been using it for 5 months. My A1C went from 6 to 12.6 and my fasting glucose was 442. I am now back on Victoza and will be starting a few other pills tomorrow. I hadn't been checking my blood sugars because Victoza had kept it so regulated but now have to to make sure it doesn't get too low. My Dr told me this morning that it is a wonder I wasn't in a diabetic coma with an insulin drip. Needless to say, from this day forward this girl is checking her bloodsugars."

Cookie (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 11, 2019

Bydureon (exenatide): "Was on this medication for a little over a year. Great for my blood sugar levels, not so much for weight loss -but then around 6 months - I started loosing my hair. I got off this medicine for the last three weeks, but my hair is still falling out. It's so scary as I have always had a nice head of hair. I read somewhere that if you are 50-60's and you have been on this medication for longer than 6 months this could happen. Wondering if anyone knows how long this will continue and when this medication will be out of my system or will I just continue until I have no hair at all?"

Andi (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 8, 2019

Bydureon (exenatide): "The pens are horrible. The medication doesn't come out. There's at least one bad pen in every package."

Bearbutt December 31, 2018

Bydureon (exenatide): "Yes have some issues but I don’t believe you need to inject every 7 days, yes if you do that you will experience issues. I do it every month and I am completely cured. Works with people that no higher then 7.5 or so. Trust me you will be fine. I repeat don’t do 7 days only ones a month. Or everyone other week If your sugar is higher then 8.5 or so."

Levi December 17, 2018

Bydureon (exenatide): "Hello everyone, I'm from the U.K. I have been taking Bydureon for about 30 months alongside Metformin and Jardiance. I have lost weight and I'm now down to 92kg (202 lbs for those in the USA), that's about 10kg since I started taking weekly Bydureon. I find it makes me feel full most of the time and I sometimes get constipation but my results are quite good. My HbA1c has dropped and I've managed to keep off insulin for now. I wonder if one of the main ways of how it works is that the weight loss can restore my own insulin production rather than the drug itself. All medication for Diabetics is free here so I'm unaware how much it costs and we are treated with the medication that most suited to us - irrelevant of the price. The doctors have been very good at supporting me over the last 10 years of my Diabetic journey. I've never really thought about the costs. Best wishes to everyone. Adrian."

adrianfisher9 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 8, 2018

Bydureon BCise (exenatide): "I wanted to successfully use this medication to control my elevated blood glucose. Initially, it lowered my blood glucose but, with each weekly injection, a new side effect would present. Finally, after #9, vomiting started along with the other side effects. I asked my MD to please stop the medication. I wanted it to work but I couldn’t tolerate it any longer."

GA Peach December 3, 2018

Byetta (exenatide): "Dry lips only side effect but that could also be from the weather. Went from 304 pounds to 260 pounds since April 15th. Of 2018. Hope to lose at least another 60 pounds or more. Works great for me !"

Big double d December 1, 2018

Bydureon (exenatide): "I have taken five shots and so far I have only had constipation. My numbers are usually good under 150 if I do the food restrictions anything else and I get 200s...I have loss about 10lbs in the month I have been taking Bydureon. I hope to see better results A1C and lose about 20lbs. Good luck to everyone."

Sunshine (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2018

Bydureon (exenatide): "I get huge bumps at the injections site. The itching is almost unbearable."

ecec (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2018

Bydureon (exenatide): "Last night I took my third injection of 2mg Bydureon. I take it once a week on Sunday evenings. I have had no side effects. My stomach does not hurt, I have had no headaches and I’m feeling better than I have in years. I read many reviews before taking this medication and quite honestly I was afraid to take it. This medication has greatly reduced my appetite and my blood sugars went from low 300’s to high 100’s in less than 3 weeks. I haven’t made any changes in my exercise regimen but I am eating less because my appetite has been reduced. I highly recommend this medication. I hope I continue to experience these great benefits to taking this medication."

Daylight November 12, 2018

Bydureon (exenatide): "I have been on Bydureon for about 5 years! I went through many of the side effects others have posted but they were temporary, I lost weight but I have slipped up with my diet and have gained it back. I am lucky I have insurance that covers almost the entire price, but with a card from the drug maker I get 3 months for free. I have had positive results but they would be much better if I didn't cheat so much. I have had several injections that bled like crazy after I injected it. I now look very closely and try not to hit a vein. A plus for me, it hurts far less if I inject it into a stretch mark. The skin is thinner. I don't like that when you shake it some does come out of the needle and some leaks out after injections. But I guess that it gives me what I need. The injection device is long and hard to put in a small lunch bag cooler. I once was on vacation and had my device fail only happened 3x, but It was user error. Astrazeneca has a wonderful customer service dept."

Ooteem (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 1, 2018

Bydureon BCise (exenatide): "This pen is terrible. I can't believe any testing was done on it."

Tex (taken for less than 1 month) October 25, 2018