User Reviews for Exenatide to treat Diabetes, Type 2

Brand names: Bydureon, Byetta, Bydureon BCise

Exenatide has an average rating of 6.4 out of 10 from a total of 363 ratings for the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2. 50% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 26% reported a negative experience.

Exenatide rating summary

6.4/10 average rating

Compare all 161 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Exenatide

Anon Female · Taken for 1 to 6 months · March 29, 2014

Bydureon (exenatide) "I am enjoying the results of Bydureon - 5th shot is tomorrow. I've lost 19 lbs and sometimes have to make myself eat something. The Bydureon is helping me eat very healthy, and I've lost my cravings for sweets and carbs. My sugars have dropped from 220-300 range to 90-110 range. I have energy to spare. I also take 500 mg of Metformin twice a day. No issues with lumps, but the medicine does burn at times when injected."

Anonymous · August 28, 2014

Bydureon (exenatide) "Had taken my 4th injection of Bydureon. No problems at the injection site but after my 3 injection began to feel sick all the time. No appetite at all not even coffee. Had persistent bloating, heartburn, and bad taste in mouth. Stopped craving sweets and carbs. A1c went from 8.5 to 6.3 in in 4 weeks. Blood sugars down from 166-180 to 120-125. Love the way this medication works but can hardly tolerate the discomfort in my belly and nausea. Not sure if I can continue or not."

Sweet Mimi · September 4, 2013

Bydureon (exenatide) "I have been on Bydureon since 11/12. My A1c has gone from 9.5 to 6.0 and I am off of all insulin. When I first started the med I was 5'2 and 187 pounds. I am now just over 10 months later 138 lbs. This has worked miracles for me as none of the oral medications helped me at all. I have not had any side effects. The shot is a bit painful but I've found if you let it warm up about 15 minutes it's a little easier. I do have hard knots at the injection site which last few weeks so I rotate where I give the injection. If you are just starting out on Bydureon and want to give up, try to hang on a little while longer. It did not work for me right away and did take about 8-10 weeks before I started noticing the benefits."

Cathy O · Taken for 1 to 2 years · July 31, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide) "I've been on Bydureon for 18 months, and used Byetta for 8 months before that. I switched from the Byetta because I couldn't handle the digestive upset any more, but the results were amazing. My a1c has come down to the 5.7-5.9 level consistently. Fasting BG is in the 80s normally. I haven't had any of the stomach upset with Bydureon. The shots are a pain and I don't think I like the pen very much since I can't control the shot as well. I tend to have leakage with the pen and sometimes hit a sensitive spot and it hurts. But since I started taking this class of drug my health is so much better! I've lost 95 lbs. and the health problems from diabetes have disappeared. This could be a lifesaver for me!"

EyeDocblood sugars · Taken for 1 to 6 months · August 31, 2014

Bydureon (exenatide) "I'm in my fifth week taking injections. I've been on 2000mg metformin daily for 4 yrs but my A1C has been creeping up over the last year (7.3 ) and my fasting blood sugars (morning) had averaged around 160 and almost never registering below 150 and too often above 170. Over the last 4 weeks my fasting sugars have steadily dropped. Last week they averaged 116 and this week they are averaging 107. I've experienced sporadic mild nausea and a reduced appetite (not as hungry as often and I fill up much faster). I'm not a fan of the injections but they're tolerable . I've not followed my weight (definitely not gaining) and we won't check my A1C for a couple more weeks."

Shackman · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · October 3, 2013

Bydureon (exenatide) "I've been on Bydureon for 9 months now, my A1c's came down from 12 to 6.5, my sugar is always around 90-100 and never drops, I feel fantastic. I've dropped 60 lbs and eat when I want and never finish a meal, I ride my bike 20 miles no issues."

Glorya Jean · Taken for 1 to 6 months · May 1, 2021

Bydureon BCise (exenatide) "So far I can not get this to inject. Three shots in and twice it deploys after I pull the needle out. Todays third try - same story. Needle goes in and meds stay in the pen. I am beyond frustrated. Why they discontinued the manual injection is beyond me. At least I could actually take the injection! Bydureon works great if you can actually take the injection. It gets one star from me because I simply can not get BCise to work!"

Lyndylou · July 3, 2013

Byetta (exenatide) "I have been on Byetta since August last year and except for some nausea and slight constipation have found it to be a miracle for me. My sugar levels have improved and also have halved my blood pressure medication. Also my eyesight has improved greatly. I have lost 30kg and am feeling great. Thanks Byetta!"

David492 · Taken for 1 to 6 months · March 8, 2014

Bydureon (exenatide) "I have taken Bydureon about 3 months. My blood sugar has gone from over 200 to 125-180 which is a nice improvement. I do not yet know what has happened to my A1c. I inject the Bydureon into my thigh. I alternate sides each week so each thigh has two weeks to recover. I have had no side effects. I have been trying to lose weight in 2014. So far I am down 14 pounds from 179 to 165 pounds."

flutemon · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · November 3, 2013

Byetta (exenatide) "I started with Byetta Sept. 2012 and used until March 2013. A1C went from 7.5 to 6.1 and my morning fasting # went from 160s to 90s. I lost approx. 60 lbs. The main complaint was being sick to my stomach. It wasn't so much of a problem on the 5 but really bad on the 10. I had planned to just tough it out because the results were so good, but I mentioned it to my endocrinologist and she switched me to the once-a-week Bydureon. (Same drug but a slow release) Totally cleared up the side effects."

Hobie1958 · July 26, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide) "Bydureon helped me get my A1c numbers down. If I would just follow the rules and eat right, it could do wonders. Also, for those getting the nodules at the injection site, put an ice pack on the site for about 15 minutes and you will probably not get a knot. Works wonders for me."

Ken · June 1, 2020

Bydureon (exenatide) "About 1 Bydueon pen in 5 has a malfunction where the plunger fails to fully depress. Then when released, fluid squirts out, wasting some of the medicine. I called and reported the problem and was kept on the phone nearly an hour, answering was seemed like the same questions over and over, but in a slightly rephrased way."

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more · December 17, 2014

Byetta (exenatide) "Been on it for ten years sugars are normal now. Plus the first seven months I lost 100 lbs. In the 10 years since weight has stabilized at 90 lbs loss. NEVER came back. 5'7" 148 lbs, can eat too!"

Bull · Taken for 1 to 6 months · April 18, 2021

Bydureon BCise (exenatide) "On three occasions, the injection didn’t work and medicine spilled out after I had held the pen to my skin for 15 seconds. This is frustrating because there is no way to stop this once it has been engaged."

Niverren · Taken for 1 to 6 months · March 2, 2014

Bydureon (exenatide) "I've been taking Bydureon for 1 month. So far, although I am skeptical by nature, it seems like a miracle. I had been eating Paleo for about 3 months, but was only losing 1 lb per week and still seeing fasting numbers around 150. My doctor put me on Bydureon and I lost 10 lbs just the in the first two weeks, and that included a few freakout days when I was eating Olive Garden, Taco Bell, and Braums ice cream multiple times per day. In one month, I've lost a total of 21 lbs, dropping from 263lbs to 242lbs, with no other lifestyle changes. I have not been back yet to check my A1C as doc wants to wait a full three months, but posting numbers of 90 - 100 upon waking and 110 - 120 after meals, it stands to reason this would also have improved greatly."

Daylight · November 12, 2018

Bydureon (exenatide) "Last night I took my third injection of 2mg Bydureon. I take it once a week on Sunday evenings. I have had no side effects. My stomach does not hurt, I have had no headaches and I’m feeling better than I have in years. I read many reviews before taking this medication and quite honestly I was afraid to take it. This medication has greatly reduced my appetite and my blood sugars went from low 300’s to high 100’s in less than 3 weeks. I haven’t made any changes in my exercise regimen but I am eating less because my appetite has been reduced. I highly recommend this medication. I hope I continue to experience these great benefits to taking this medication."

Morgannyy · Taken for 1 to 2 years · March 3, 2020

Bydureon BCise (exenatide) "You’ll be lucky if the Bydueon pens work half the time. Just got done puncturing myself again and watching as the delivery device failed to move. Holding the pen, stuck in me, but none of the medicine moving. What to do? Pull it out, blood spurts out, again, and medicine now fires out everywhere. Stop the bleeding, clean up the medicine. Total waste, again. They need to redesign the pen!"

Diabetes miracle med · December 17, 2015

Bydureon (exenatide) "This med is awesome! My a1c and all my other blood work now looks perfect. I have lost 43 pounds in 9 months. The med takes away all of your desire to drink sodas and eat sugary snacks. I found that I got lumps from the shot when I did it in my leg or arm, but not when I do it in my stomach. This is the healthiest I have felt in 5 years. Wish I had been put on this med sooner!"

Anonymous · August 12, 2008

Byetta (exenatide) "I've been using Byetta (10mg 2 x daily) for just over a year now in conjunction with glucophage (metformin) 500mg 2 tablets twice a day for my Type 2 diabetes. I've also been on a pretty tight diet and exercise plan during this time and have gone from nearly 330lb to 260lb. My sugar numbers stay under 120 - usually in the 100-115 range and the a1c has been outstanding for each quarterly test. My goal is to get under 200lb. I've had no difficulties or side effects from the Byetta - worst is a bruised area if I get rambunctuous with the needle. One thing to remember - Byetta isn't some magical weight loss drug by itself. I hate to sound like a doctor but you have to change your eating habits totally and exercise, exercise, exercise."

NWchic · January 21, 2014

Bydureon (exenatide) "I'm on week 4 and so far so good. The 1st injection was done with my nurse and went smoothly. About 3 days later, I started to experience extreme nausea anytime I ate something, so I didn't eat much the first week. My BS dropped from 300 to about 180. The 2nd shot didn't go in as easily and kind of burned, but I wasn't as nauseous that next week. I had an idea that I probably did something wrong during that injection and my blood sugars doubled that second week. The 3rd shot I was really careful to pinch my fat and make sure it wasn't muscle and that time went smoothly and didn't burn at all. Wk 3 BS dropped to 105-140. I messed up Wk4 again and the shot burned and this time I got a bump. I think it was too close to the last injection site"

Teecie · Taken for 1 to 6 months · July 12, 2016

Bydureon (exenatide) "Been on Bydureon for nearly 4 months. Blood Sugars dropped from 10 to 6, lost 50 lbs on the drug. It was a rough start at first getting use to the side effects, but I am happy to say the drug is working wonders for me."

UserUnknown · July 6, 2021

Bydureon BCise (exenatide) "I get so frustrated with these pens I almost feel like crying at times! I'm trying so hard to work with my doctor and am fully willing to deal with some side effects with this med in order to give it a fair attempt. But I've gone through so many pens these past 3 months where I follow the instructions exactly as they provide...only for the dang pens to get stuck. The needle's injected, but the plunger does not budge. No (or very little) liquid gets injected. I move the pen around, tap on it, push it further into myself...nothing. And it's not like I can just take it out and re-inject myself. The moment I do so, the liquid then starts to shoot out of the needle and the dose is completely wasted. I feel so defeated! :( I once broke one of the pens apart to gain access to the liquid and tried using my own syringe...however the liquid is way too thick for my syringes and only clogged the needles rendering them useless. 3 months in and I've missed 4 or 5 weekly doses. :( :("

Tenicua · Taken for 1 to 6 months · August 19, 2019

Bydureon (exenatide) "Hey guys! Use it in the lower abdomen. Then rotate each time. This stuff works. And yes there are side effects. It drains energy out of ya. But you will lose 4 pounds each month. And if you are already going thru some drama .. being on this medicine intensifies the feelings you have. Sorry, but it’s the truth. I’ve been on it for 3 months. Start weight 206.. now I am 195. I’m 43 and so glad I’m on something that actually works to get weight off. I cried about this situation and here I am. It works. I wish my insurance would pay for the ozempic tho. Well anyway, have a great one guys! . I’m praying for each and every one of you. Blessings"

JerryinFL · April 17, 2014

Bydureon (exenatide) "I was on Byetta for about 6 years and it worked wonders for me. I lost 70 lbs. in the first few months, but the 35 of them have crept back on. I've been on Bydureon for about 18 months. I've had no side effects other than the little lumps. My wife is an RN and suggested using thinner needles. I told her they wouldn't work but she tried anyway. She was unable to push the Bydureon in, so back to the thick needle. I have not enjoyed the weight loss effect with Bydureon. My Dr. has just given me a prescription for the new pen, however, Walgreens does not yet have it available. I have found no information that says it is actually being sold yet. The pen comes with a needle, same thickness but a fraction shorter."

Gazelia67 · Taken for less than 1 month · October 8, 2012

Bydureon (exenatide) "I am on my 2nd week of using this medication. I am taking it for insulin resistance and noticed a difference very quickly as far as appetite and hunger. The first day after my first shot I did not eat as much at each meal and did not feel as ravenously hungry between meals. It's been a week and a half and I've already dropped 6 lbs. The needle is a little big but the weight loss is worth it. I do have the itching around the injection site - about the size of a quarter and feels like a mosquito bite. Hoping this diminishes..... but it's the only really bothersome thing I've noticed so far. No nausea (which was terrible with Victoza) and nothing else of note. Hoping this (and the weight loss) continues."