User Reviews for Exenatide

Also known as: Bydureon, Byetta

Learn more about Exenatide.

Exenatide Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 161 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Exenatide to treat Diabetes, Type 2

Bydureon (exenatide): "Started Bydureon last night for the first time. I put lidocaine cream on my stomach where I was going to inject. After a few false starts, I injected quickly and had to check to see if needle was actually in. I felt nothing when it went in. Medicine did burn a little when it went it and burned afterwards for several minutes. Nothing that was too bad. I did rub the area after it went in to try to prevent the knots. I also put on sea bands about an hour before the shot, planning to wear them for 48 hours. Some GI issues, but not sure if related to shot or not. Overall, not a bad experience so far, knock wood."

Antoniobandana (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bydureon (exenatide): "I'm on my 3rd weekly dose. Today I went through the usual procedure of mixing the 2mg pen, following the " clear " instructions ... No Pun intended !! I never did get the dosage to mix. There was a Jell like Blob visible through the glass. It looked like a Alien from another planet. I tried for 30 minutes to get it to mix with no luck. Eventually I threw the pen away... It's fine for those in the Ivory Towers, telling me to discard the pen.. They obviously they are a lot richer than I am. Throwing that pen away, cost me BIG MONEY.... How about a replacement pen for my trouble ??? LOT: HK0463"

Bootneck58 April 17, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bydureon (exenatide): "Been on Bydureon Pen for 7 weeks now A1C dropped from 7.8 to 6.3 and I lost 7 lbs . I've had no side effects so far and my appetite is cut in half. I eat pretty good meals, I don't get to exercise like I would like to because I have knee problems. I am definitely satisfied with Bydureon, after been on Actos and metforming for years. I hope it continues to work this well for me."

Nikittana April 14, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bydureon (exenatide): "I just started Bydureon a few days ago. The needle was intimidating and while I did not get any lumps (so far) at the injection sight on my thigh, I bled a lot and bruised. Within an hour of my injection, I experienced heart palpitations, dizziness and extreme lethargy. Then, the extreme vomiting started. I vomited every 2 hours for 12 hours straight, it was terrible. The next day, I was just a little nauseous but okay. Now, I experience queasiness and loss of appetite. I am nervous to take my next injection due to the extreme vomiting. I am hoping the results are worth it."

Northwest Jen March 29, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bydureon (exenatide): "I am now on bydureon for nine weeks now. So far I lost 30 and a half pounds. I am eating right and exercising with the injection. I have some nausea the first 2 days after injection but not real bad. Also at injection site I was getting lumps but took someone's advice on here to apply ice for 15 minutes after injection and it works. I am very grateful to have this meds."

Lorrie44 March 28, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Byetta (exenatide): "Numbness on the leg after injection from the knee cap to nearly the groin and around the side of the leg"

Jude waite March 27, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bydureon (exenatide): "I was worried about side effects after reading the reviews online, but happy to report that my side effects were very minimal. I actually really liked what bydureon did for my blood sugars and my weight loss. It also curbed my appetite without giving me really really bad heartburn. Unfortunately that's where the good news ends for me. I have a few doses left but I just can't take the pain. It is a significantly wider needle than Tanzeum that I was on before (can't afford it anymore), and the actual injection hurts a lot. I find that I have to inject a little at a time. Not to mention that prepping the injection is a pain in the @$$. As soon as they figure out a better different delivery system I wouldn't hesitate to get back on Bydureon."

frostedfreckles March 15, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bydureon (exenatide): "I started on the weekly injection after oral hypoglycaemic tablets stopped controlling my Blood Sugar Level (BSL). The effect was pretty much instant. Within two weeks my BSL had normalised and I had lost weight. I am still on track and have lost 6 kegs in 3 months. Some tips from me: Take the injection out of the fridge at least 30 minutes prior to mixing and injecting it mixes better and doesn't hurt to inject. Take an anti-nausea to medication 30 minutes prior to the injection and take the injection at night before you go to bed. Eat small regular food 6 times a day with high fat (fat has no glycaemic index) moderate protein(90gm /day) and low carb (<100gms day). All this has helped me feel and look good, lose weight and have normal BSL."

HaydeeC (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 9, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bydureon (exenatide): "So far I am very pleased with my results from taking Bydureon for some 4 months. I have lost 8 kgs and my Hba1C has gone from 8.9 to 7. I have lumps but they do gradually go after a period of time, have had some bruising also. My main concern is the nausea which I still experience spasmodically and absolute lack of appetite. Certain foods I only have to look at and it is a real turn off. But I will put up with all the above as I have finally lost some weight by eating minute amounts 6 times a day and my Blood Sugars are the lowest they have been for approximately 3 years and it is so rewarding to hear friends say "you have lost weight, you look great""

Denny from Australia (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bydureon (exenatide): "Update... I have been on bydureon for 6 weeks now my weight loss is 23 lbs. I exercise on a regular basis and follow a low carb diet. I have to say I am very pleased with my progress."

Lorrie44 March 4, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bydureon (exenatide): "I was diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes 4 years ago, and had several different brands of tablet medication but had side effects in one form or another. Nothing seemed to control my sugar levels. The last 2 years I had been on metformin 500mg tablets morning and night, with 30 mg of diamicron. My sugar spiralled up to between 13 & 21 and a burning when urinating. Saw my GP and was given treatment for infection but was to no avail. Doctor saw my various tablet combinations I have had over the years, and recommended me trying Bydureon 2mg weekly injection and it has absolutely changed my life. Been taking for 4 months now, no burning urinating, my sugar now stable, 5.2 & 7.1, lost 20kg, more energy, no side affects at all. To me it's a WONDER drug"

DB ADEL March 4, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bydureon (exenatide): "Within 2 weeks saw blood glucose more than half to good levels I've not seen for years (literally) no major side effects - felt sick twice within a day or two of first dose but apart from that all ok. Injecting in fatty tissue of stomach hardly any pain. Very well designed device and needle almost painless. I would recommend this for T2s who have gone to max on oral meds and need that extra help, this really is the magic bullet for me. I can handle weekly injections but not daily that's too much imho."

Johng1960s March 1, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bydureon (exenatide): "I have been taking bydureon for the 7 weeks. At first I was very hesitatant to use a needle for self injection. I've gotten over the fear and now this is what I can say. On weight lost I have dropped some 13lbs over the 7 weeks. It has really curbed my desire to eat food. I'm still waiting for the medicine to start to work and see lower blood sugar ratings. I have one more 4 pack to go and then off to check A1C. Side effects; the bumps have shown up and I have two of them. I'm hoping they go away as estimated in the next month or so. I seem to burp a lot and I don't know if anyone experienced this but for the first couple of weeks I had very little energy in the evening. So I'll update when I get my results in 5 weeks."

Bellgang (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bydureon (exenatide): "I was prescribed this to take in addition to my Metformin to help get my high Insulin levels under control and to assist with weight loss( in conjunction with intermittent fasting and a mediterranean low carb diet) Since September 2016 I have lost 35 lbs with no additional exercise. I take the Bydureon on a Sunday night and then due to the decreased appetite I fast on Mondays until dinner and then skip breakfast all other days and just eat 2 meals a day which consists of a low carb mediterranean diet. The bydureon has a slight burning sensation during injection but after that no symptoms at all. I use an ice pack on the injection sight for 15mins post injection to prevent knots/lumps and this has worked well for me. Blood tests show improvements"

Nyxx17 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bydureon (exenatide): "I have been on bydureon because I dont produce enough insulin. I took my fifth injection just on Monday and with diet and exercize I have so far lost 17 lbs. I am very happy I have this to aid in my weight loss. oh and so far no side effects."

Lorrie44 February 23, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bydureon (exenatide): "This med worked well for the first 6 weeks. I had lost about 20 lbs and liked that part. The next 4 or 5 shots didn't seem like it did anything. The lumps remained though. After about a month off the drug the lumps started to go away and the sulfur burps, stomach cramps, constipation, nausea and intermittent diarrhea took over. I was sick about 2 months as the lumps slowly dissolved. It took another 3 months before I felt normal again. I think the med didn't dissolve like it should have. Then it all released at once and made me sick. Also the needle was HUGE and a pain to get ready. I switched to Trulicity lately and am having good results."

Casadejoe (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bydureon (exenatide): "After becoming allergic to Metformin for my type 2 diabetes, I began taking the Bydureon 2mg shot once weekly. I've been on it for 10 months now & must say it has changed my life. My A1C is now 5 ... *claps* My side effects have been: knots at the injection site and sulfur burps ... *ack* But overall I'm thrilled with Bydureon."

Darby Rose (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 11, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bydureon (exenatide): "I have been on bydureon for 3 injections. I was put on it to aid with weight loss cause my body doesn't produce enough insulin. I'm so happy no side effects so far, I lost 8lbs in 2 weeks and 4 days. I'm also excersizing with the injections and eating right. I'm happy I have something to help the weight loss."

Herqween (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bydureon (exenatide): "on insulin and bydueron 2 mg been on it 8 months been ok but last month severe vomiting diarrhea. I don't eat for 2-4 days at all now smell of food gives me projectile vomiting. I stopped today"

raj chabra (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 10, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bydureon (exenatide): "I have been taking his medicine for about four months now. When I started it I was also taking janumet everyday and the shot once a week. Everything was great until the 3rd month. Started having a lot of lows. Lowest so far was 31. Ended up in the ER a few times. Made another visit to my doctor that checked my A1C and it was down from 9 to a 7 in 4 months. She took me off the janumet but I'm still having lows just not as many. When I'm not having lows, I average around 140. I have lost about 15 lbs. I'm never hungry anymore. Other than the low blood sugar sometimes, it's seems to helping a lot. Hopefully I can figure out how to stop bottoming out."

Coreyt December 31, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bydureon (exenatide): "After 10 years on Oral medications for Type 2, I was finally advised to go on injectable Bydureon. I am adverse to needles and never injected before. I have been injecting for 3 weeks. First week, was trial with no issues to report. Second week, I had a injection sight reaction- some bruising which faded over a number of days. Third week, no issues. I have not seen most of the negative side effects. No sickness, No Nausea. I did notice that the medicine makes you feel full, but it did not take away my appetite. I had did have some mild heart burn. Not sure if it is associated. The Pen/Needle is larger and a little more intimidating. I have not seen any significant improvement in my glucose control at this point."

New Patient (taken for less than 1 month) December 6, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bydureon (exenatide): "Been on Bydureon for 11 weeks during well on it have lost 13 lbs since I been on it."

Black Cherry December 2, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Byetta (exenatide): "I have being on Byetta 5mcg&Lantus 3mths I've had constant nausea which varies in severity. I haven't had a reduction of bgl they are still quiet high; I am not at all sure whether both meds have really worked for me over the past 3mths&my diabetic educator thinks the same&my endocrinologist will most likely change my meds altogether next review. In one week i'm going on 10mcg...I hope that it works but not holding my breath - I've never had the brilliant results that others on here have had - the nausea has never gone away but the earlier dizziness did...although it hasn't worked for me I believe that it's worth trying, I did have hopes that worked for me, there are other meds & I will get my bgl's in a normal range&lower my HbA1c"

aussie-girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 30, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Byetta (exenatide): "I have being taking Byetta & Lantus for 3mths, i'm allergic to metformin. my blood glucose has been very high 22.8 being the highest & average 12-13 now the highest is 18.2 average 10-14 fasting morning readings 9-10 which is still very high - i'm ambivalent with my feelings of byetta - i am disappointed as I really thought it would work brilliantly for me...i've always had nausea as the main side-effect it's severity varies somedays it's shocking other days dissipates with a ginger tea but it's never not being there! I have a review with my GP which will up byetta to 10mcg & then reveiw with endocrinlogist 2mths where he might restart me on a brand new protocol - - which might be a good thing - - as this clearly isn't working"

aussie_girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 29, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bydureon (exenatide): "Been on this drug for three weeks. Nothing. Weight dropped a couple pounds in week 2, but went back up. Blood sugar readings do not show any improvement. So does it really take 6-7 weeks before blood sugars drop and weight loss starts?"

Sugarless November 28, 2016