User Reviews for Exenatide

Also known as: Bydureon, Byetta

Learn more about Exenatide.

Diabetes, Type 2 217 reviews 139 medications

7.5
Summary of Exenatide reviews 217 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Exenatide

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "on insulin and bydueron 2 mg been on it 8 months been ok but last month severe vomiting diarrhea. I don't eat for 2-4 days at all now smell of food gives me projectile vomiting. I stopped today"

raj chabra (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 10, 2017

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I have been taking his medicine for about four months now. When I started it I was also taking janumet everyday and the shot once a week. Everything was great until the 3rd month. Started having a lot of lows. Lowest so far was 31. Ended up in the ER a few times. Made another visit to my doctor that checked my A1C and it was down from 9 to a 7 in 4 months. She took me off the janumet but I'm still having lows just not as many. When I'm not having lows, I average around 140. I have lost about 15 lbs. I'm never hungry anymore. Other than the low blood sugar sometimes, it's seems to helping a lot. Hopefully I can figure out how to stop bottoming out."

Coreyt December 31, 2016

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "After 10 years on Oral medications for Type 2, I was finally advised to go on injectable Bydureon. I am adverse to needles and never injected before. I have been injecting for 3 weeks. First week, was trial with no issues to report. Second week, I had a injection sight reaction- some bruising which faded over a number of days. Third week, no issues. I have not seen most of the negative side effects. No sickness, No Nausea. I did notice that the medicine makes you feel full, but it did not take away my appetite. I had did have some mild heart burn. Not sure if it is associated. The Pen/Needle is larger and a little more intimidating. I have not seen any significant improvement in my glucose control at this point."

New Patient (taken for less than 1 month) December 6, 2016

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Been on Bydureon for 11 weeks during well on it have lost 13 lbs since I been on it."

Black Cherry December 2, 2016

Byetta (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I have being on Byetta 5mcg&Lantus 3mths I've had constant nausea which varies in severity. I haven't had a reduction of bgl they are still quiet high; I am not at all sure whether both meds have really worked for me over the past 3mths&my diabetic educator thinks the same&my endocrinologist will most likely change my meds altogether next review. In one week i'm going on 10mcg...I hope that it works but not holding my breath - I've never had the brilliant results that others on here have had - the nausea has never gone away but the earlier dizziness did...although it hasn't worked for me I believe that it's worth trying, I did have hopes that worked for me, there are other meds & I will get my bgl's in a normal range&lower my HbA1c"

aussie-girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 30, 2016

Byetta (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I have being taking Byetta & Lantus for 3mths, i'm allergic to metformin. my blood glucose has been very high 22.8 being the highest & average 12-13 now the highest is 18.2 average 10-14 fasting morning readings 9-10 which is still very high - i'm ambivalent with my feelings of byetta - i am disappointed as I really thought it would work brilliantly for me...i've always had nausea as the main side-effect it's severity varies somedays it's shocking other days dissipates with a ginger tea but it's never not being there! I have a review with my GP which will up byetta to 10mcg & then reveiw with endocrinlogist 2mths where he might restart me on a brand new protocol - - which might be a good thing - - as this clearly isn't working"

aussie_girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 29, 2016

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Been on this drug for three weeks. Nothing. Weight dropped a couple pounds in week 2, but went back up. Blood sugar readings do not show any improvement. So does it really take 6-7 weeks before blood sugars drop and weight loss starts?"

Sugarless November 28, 2016

For Diabetes, Type 2: "Injection day- So this stuff is supposed to bring my A1C number down (6.0) and my fasting glucose (95) plus I may lose weight and it will control my PCOS symptoms. I was nauseous and very sleepy. Took nap, went for a brisk walk around neighborhood and played with my kid. Nothing bad to report except that it hurts to eat anything more than half my fist size (and my hands are small). Day 2- vomiting begins! I was violently hurling. Couldn't go to work and I kept passing out. Went to urgent care as it was a holiday and my PCP was not in. They tell me to take these nausea meds and if I keep throwing up I need to go to ER. Could not eat but a few bites of food the entire day. Rating it higher than 1 since I did lose weight- 7 lbs so far."

Poly Unicorn November 25, 2016

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I have used this Pen 5 months and so far I have more energy, sugars lower. Feel better overall. A little bleeding from injection, but I can live with that. AIC pending but I know it will be much better. Definitely worth a try."

Doug1959 November 22, 2016

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "This will be my 4th Shot and taking Metformin 1000mgs daily I have lost some weight which is a Positive hope to lose more but so far the shot is Good no side effects at this time !"

CountrySwag (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2016

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I started Bydueron 10 weeks ago. I was fine the first 6 weeks. On week 7, I became extremely ill. Vomiting, explosive diarrhea, gas pains and bloating like never before, long flatulence every few minutes (how embarrassing!), and sulfur-tasting belching (like rotten eggs). Endo dr. said it wasn't the med. I went to my primary doctor because I wasn't sure if it was a virus. All of my tests came back negative. Third week, same thing. I decided not to take the injection and notified endo. She told me to stop metformin and resume shot. Last week, had shot and condition worsened. She finally told me to stop the injections. It's been four weeks of suffering. Not worth it! This stuff is poison to me!"

Marillian November 10, 2016

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "On Bydureon since January 2016. The most significant problem from the beginning r the small hard lumps at inj.site. It has improved since I 1st began. I find the plunger is difficult to press down firmly. Tap gently 20x then 1/4 turn till 80 to mix. It's recm'd to hold in place for 10secs. I put my foot on a low step stool to firmly keep a 45 degree angle from hip to knee. For mths no symptoms only lumps. Now I'm here sharing my story bcuz I'm suspicious it's responsible for these bouts w/severe nausea w/VERY LOUD STOMACH/GUT NOISES. I'm taking Metformin too. I've lost 53lbs.Size 14 to 8. A1C pending. Can't confirm nausea/growling stomach/belching r caused by it. Stopped ALL WHITE FOODS/MOST SUGAR. Need2know if I'm hurting myself 2b cont'd"

Rawkluvah (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 4, 2016

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "This is my second post. I took the once weekly shot for 12 weeks. At week 9 I started having diarrhea. The "get to the bathroom fast" kind. Also had sulfur burps. I did not take the 13th shot when it was due 4 days ago, per Drs order, to see of diarrhea would stop. It hasn't. How long does this stay in your system? I wish I had never started this medication."

Billsdeb (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 12, 2016

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Second time Dr, put me on bydureon. Been on for 6 weeks this time and my sugar level hasn't been below 200 except twice. Lost a few lbs. No side effects. I feel ok but want sugar level back in the 100s when I was taking the another med which was worked great. The only reason I am off that med is because the military switched do to cost (budget). I need to get my A1c check."

Pacman321 October 4, 2016

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I have been on Bydurion, one shot a week, for 12 weeks. All seemed to be going well until the past two weeks when I have experienced sulfa burps (rotten egg smell, gas, and diarrhea. I never know when it will hit. It usually lasts two or three days, (and nights so I'm lacking sleep) then I have a few good days before it starts all over again. I have lost some weight and my blood sugars are down, sometimes too low. But, I am wondering if these bouts of burps, gas and diarrhea are worth it."

Billsdeb (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 4, 2016

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "One year using this crap. I'm a little overweight and it takes 4 or 5 attempts to finish the injection. Tonight it took six and then I hurled it across the room. The oversized, painful needle clogs with fat and stops up. NO MORE!"

Rodababe (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 4, 2016

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Worked great. I felt awesomely good. My insurance put me in the donut hole. Now I can't afford it. "

cd48x (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 19, 2016

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I have been injecting once a week for two months. I have suferred disgusting belching, lack of appetite, diarrhoea, vomiting. I am fortunate to be working but I am off sick again because I cannot venture outside of the house because of liquid pouring out of both ends!! When I vomited this morning a lump of gunk surfaced which I think was the coagulated bydureon. I am not willing to take this awful drug again. The side effects do not outweigh benefits."

eGGBREATH September 6, 2016

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "On Bydureon about a year. I'm 57, been diagnosed type 2 Diabetic for about 8 years. On Insulin + Metformin. Doc prescribed this for me originally because I just couldn't get my A1C below 7.0 even though my daily numbers rarely climbed over 130 even right after eating. The Pros: A1C dropped into the low 4's and remains at that level. Lost 20 - 25 lbs and the weight has stayed off. Pen device is not difficult to set up and use once a week, takes about 5 minutes max to do the injection routine and I've only had 1 instance total in a year's time of a pen not working properly. The Cons: HUGE needle that hurts. Bad nausea after injection and occasional itchy hard lumps at injection site. One major B/sugar crash - low 50's."

Type 2 Guy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 5, 2016

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "2 shots in belly. Both bleed #2 turn black & blue. 3 and 4 shot in thigh above knee no bleeding no black and blue no lumps or bumps. Before bydureon I was on Victoria four 4 years it quit working. On victory very dizzy bad sulfur taste & bad gas could not be around people. Before I started bydureon be jumped to 235 after 4 shots morning be now 160. 6# lost in 4 weeks. 5th shot 08/18/2016. I pay $621 for 3 months"

radio1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 17, 2016

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "This is my 3rd review. Just had my A1C checked at my 3 month visit. Started this med with an 8.4 in 3 months it's down to 6.2. This drug has been the only thing that has worked for me in the past 10 yrs. I've been on so many diabetic meds. Last year my a1c was 10.2 got it to 8.4 with farxiga. Since my last weigh in at the dr. I actually had lost 10 pounds. Started this med at 184 now im 174. Still took 3 months to lose 10 pounds. Thats better than a gain though. My only remaining side effects are knots under the skin at injection site. They somethings itch really bad too. Other than that ive adjusted really well."

FreidaM46 August 3, 2016

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "I have pencil eraser size knots in my stomach from injections. Have about 5 of them. They are hard to the touch. Maybe they will go away before to long. I sure don't like them"

Larry EB (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2016

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Been on Bydureon for nearly 4 months. Blood Sugars dropped from 10 to 6, lost 50 lbs on the drug. It was a rough start at first getting use to the side effects, but I am happy to say the drug is working wonders for me."

Teecie (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2016

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Have completed eighth (8th) week of Bydureon injections. Med physician prescribed not approved by insurance carrier and this was their substitute after 2 weeks on previous. No nausea at any point (was warned both by physician & literature this would definitely occur). Prior 2 week med controlled appetite, do not see where Bydureon has this effect. First 4 or 5 weeks seen slight weight loss of less than 2 lb per week but this has subsided and actually the last 2 weeks have shown a reversal. Will say have more positive outlook 4 days after injection & this subsides. Pharmacist said Bydureon has more of ingredient I need, however believe personally benefit daily rather than weekly injections. Most likely will discuss this next Dr. visit"

Female age 65/200lb excess (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 20, 2016

Bydureon (exenatide) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Bit of nausea at the start but eased off until I changed my stab day then sickness came back for a couple of weeks. 11 weeks in and have dropped 12kg in weight. Blood sugars are way down and have more energy. Struggle to always eat three times a day but when I do I feel great and that's when the weight melts off."

Melliesue78 June 14, 2016