User Reviews for TriNessa

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about TriNessa.

TriNessa Rating Summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 265 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for TriNessa to treat Birth Control

"Hello! I have found that for me, taking TriNessa at night before I go to bed (around 11pm) has been the best. I tried taking it during the day and found I was slightly hungrier than normal and a bit more moody. If you take it at night I think you’ll have a better experience (but again this is just my personal experience and we’re all different). I’ve been on it for a full year now and my boobs went from a 36A to a 34C. if you try TriNessa and it doesn’t work, see your doctor."

20somethingtexan (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 11, 2018

"After being on Trinessa, I can confidently say that this drug has more cons than pros. I get nausea EVERY morning to the point I want to throw up. My face looks terrible, due to all of the acne from Trinessa. My periods are 7 days long now, and I bled like crazy. My cramps are horrendous and make me call into work sick. DO NOT GET THIS. My doctor recommended this instead of the IUD, which was a mistake. I am now going to get the IUD, but heres the best part ladies! I take my Trinessa everyday, at the same time, but just took a pregnancy test and it is positive. So please, look at other forms of BC, and stay away from Trinessa."

Anastasia E (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 10, 2018

"Every birth control is different. This was my first time trying out birth control, and after reading all the reviews I was very nervous. However, I have absolutely no complaints. My acne is completely gone. My periods are regular and have gone from 7 days to only 3 days of very light bleeding. I have experience NO weight gain. My breasts have gotten bigger and the best part is no bad mood swings or depression, which is what I was the most scared of. No pregnancy scares either! However, my sister tried this medication and even though it worked for me, it caused her to become extremely depressed."

Carolinaxoen (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 9, 2018

"I'm 36 years old. I used Trinessa Lo for 3 months for the purpose of birth control. I recently decided to stop taking it because I had so many side effects from it. The worst side effect that I experienced was daily nausea. It was as if I was feeling morning sickness all day long the entire time I was on the pill. The only time I had relief was when I was having my period. I could barely tolerate foods and drinks that I normally consume. I also experienced hypersensitive smell... certain smells (like air fresheners) made me feel sick. I also experienced occasional headaches and broke out with more acne than I have had in years. I also found that I felt significantly more depressed near the end of my cycle before my period started."

Maebel (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 2, 2018

"For anyone coming on here and reading all of the unfortunate side effects Trisnessa has cause - don’t worry yet! It might work great for you. When I was first prescribed it I read what the internet had to say about it and I was terrified! Been on it a little over a year now, it cleared my HORRIBLE PAINFUL acne! That was the original reason it was prescribed. On top of clearing my acne it also shortened my cycle from 7 days to 4, a much lighter period that isn’t getting in the way of my life, this pill also significantly reduced the amount of migraines that I get. Good luck to everyone hope you find what works for you! <3"

Dilly dally (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 29, 2017

"If I could give it a negative number then I would. Causes dark acne spots and severe nausea at night. Worst birth control pill. I really miss being able to take regular ortho tri cyclen. My doctor said they don’t even make it anymore. I would pay monthly if I could find the right pill for me."

Nik12357 December 27, 2017

"I was originally on orthotri- low for years. Later on my doctor prescribed me triNessa, assuring me it was the exact same BC, just a generic name. The first few weeks appeared to be normal, but I have horrible cystic acne. Orthotri-low helped significantly with it, but with TriNessa, my acne was coming back and in waves. I also experienced horrible spotting, my periods would last almost 2 weeks with TriNessa. I thought it was just a fluke thing. I was originally 118lbs, with a very physical routine, I was up to 135lbs with the same eating habits and routine. Weight gain all due to TriNessa. My breast went from C's to DD's. This pill causes the worst depression, completely lost the will to try, to want. Worst medication ever. Scary."

LaurM (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 25, 2017

"This is my forth month on this pill. I’m 25 and have never been on any kind of birth control before. I would wake up nauseous a few morning out of the week, some times I would vomit because of it. I cannot even explain how drastic my sleeping and food schedule has changed. I’m constantly hungry and have gotten bratty for no reason what so ever. It hasn’t really affected my sex drive but I either can’t get wet right away or I’m too wet. My periods have almost stopped except for the first period I got when I started taking the pill, and which lasted about 11 days. Yes, 11 days. It was insane. This medication works but it comes with a price for me, I’ve had stomach problems in the past few months but it’s increased so much."

Becka S. (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 18, 2017

"I have been on Trinessa for 4 months and it has been awful. During the 1st week I vomited and experienced severe nausea. Although the vomiting subsided, I continued to experience nausea through the 2nd week. By the 2nd month, I noticed an increase in weight (5-10lbs), larger breasts, mood swings, and nausea returned on/off for the 1st week. By the 3rd month I was an emotional wreck and experienced same pattern w/nausea. I was filled with rage, exhausted 24/7, and had trouble concentrating. I had PMS symptoms during week 1 of a NEW pack and extreme hunger during periods. I also noticed a loss of hair on my scalp. I'm 33, no kids, don't smoke, I exercise, and this was the 3rd brand of bc I've tried in 15 years (prev on Lutera then Viorele)."

Heather_D (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 13, 2017

"Hi everyone. I am going to start by saying that every birth control works differently on every body and gene type, but I can say that TriNessa is showing me how horrible birth control can be. I started taking birth control when I was 15 and have been using TriNessa since then. This was my first birth control. I was OK for the first 3 years of my life, acne great, no weight gain, no irregular bleeding, but my period was heavy and my mood swings were absolutely insane. From having serious depression to anxiety about everything. For the past two years now, I have been starting to gain weight as I am 20. I have put on at least 20 pounds and still have depression and anxiety. I just went off of it today, and hope I can be myself again."

Anonymous December 9, 2017

"This is the HANDS down best BC out there for me. I have 1 side effect which is lack of appetite in week 1. Nothing else! Before I took this pill I was bleeding vaginally mysteriously for weeks at a time. This birth control saved me from insanity. It stopped the random bleeding and the awful pain( Endometriosis?) Pain is now a 4/10, not a 10/10. I was thinking of switching the Trinessa 28 day to the one where it's just one mg. I feel good. I gained some weight (I needed it) and my skin is starting to clear up! I feel this also stopped my hair from falling out as often as well. The only con is that the first week of the pill causes lack of appetite for me. I wonder if anyone else experiences this? I feel great by week 2 & 3."

LeeAlee December 9, 2017

"I was on this birth control for 8 months before I realized that it was causing my panic attacks and paranoia.I lost my appetite, felt nauseous all the time. At first I thought maybe I’m going through postpartum depression. Just had 2nd baby.But overall I was really happy with life and had no complaints. I went to the doctor several times to try to figure out why I was feeling this way.I felt like a zombie.I finally thought to look up side effects of the birth control and to my surprise and relief all the negative reviews said the same thing. I have been off the pill for 5months now and I feel great! It took about 2 weeks before I felt like myself again. I used to take tri cyclen lo before my kids and that worked really well for me."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 1, 2017

"I have been taking Trinessa for 6+ years now. It's an effective contraceptive with many added benefits. I use it for contraception & abnormal/painful cycles. There was only one BIG problem for me with it. Here are the ADVANTAGES and DISADVANTAGES for me: ~PROS:~ (#1) It completely REGULATED my cycles. I can accurately estimate on which days it will start and end, and the bleeding is FAR less (in quantity and frequency). (#2) It SHORTENED my cycles. They only last about 4-5 days now, and is much more easily managed. (#3) It REDUCED the pain! It still hurts, but it no longer interferes with daily life. (#4) It is FREE with insurance! ~CONS:~ (#1) I actually VOMITED every day for the 1st YEAR. That really disrupted my life, but it's FINE now!"

jen4568 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 29, 2017

"TriNessa was a miracle worker! It helped my periods, my breakouts, and caused me NO weight gain!! I would definitely recommend to anybody."

hmsalyer (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 12, 2017

"Okay, so, I've been taking this birth control for five years now. It does it's job at preventing pregnancy. Been with my boyfriend for three years, never used a condom, never pregnant. That's basically the only good thing about it. My acne has been terrible the entire time I've used this birth control. My mood swings are insane, cramping makes me nauseous, and I would bleed for five to seven days. I'm diagnosed with depression, and I noticed the week before my period I would get insanely depressed. I'm guessing it was this birth control, considering it happened every month during the last week of pills. Switching over to Yasmin to see how that works."

Mikkii505 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 10, 2017

"This is my first contraception pill. I have had great experience. I have been using it for little over a year. First two months were little unusual, in a sense I was overly sensitive and emotional. However, after that its line I am not using any pills. No pain, no weight gain, no any side effect. Oh my boobs did get bigger since I started using them, but I don't think that was a bad side effect. My husband def likes it :)"

AIR78696 November 4, 2017

"This was the first birth control pill I was ever put on. It was great for that purpose (controlling birth) but caused me to have WEEK LONG periods. Seriously, bleeding for 7 days straight. It was terrible so I got switched to a form of Loestrin. I never had issues with acne on this medication which was great, so definitely good for that. Maybe it was just me but I had to get off of it because the week-long periods were so terrible. Going to try mononessa next because I have bad acne right now. Wish I could go back to this expect I cannot deal with the periods it gave me..."

Shreyaaa (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 17, 2017

"My first month was fine! I am a very emotional person and prone to anxiety attacks, and it never made it worse! Almost felt like it made it better... HOWEVER, after the first month, I started having itchy skin, vaginal discharge, vaginal burning and irritation, hives all over my body, eczema on MY FINGERS! Really weird stuff... went to the doctor and got tested for EVERYTHING! including STDS. All negative. The only thing we could think of was this birth control. Kept taking it for a third month, symptoms got worse, even started gaining weight and acne! Stopped taking it on a Saturday, it is now Thursday: Most all symptoms are gone. It had to be the BC..."

Messed up my whole body... October 12, 2017

"I had been on the Depo shot for about 8 years, when I switched to the Nexplanon implant. That was the worst decision I ever made. I had never been so depressed or sore or had to deal with out of control periods until I got it in inserted. I couldn't deal with it anymore, so I told my doctor that Orthotricyclen Lo had worked well before (I didn't want to do the shot again for various reasons - mainly work-related) so I requested to be put back on that. I have super predictable periods again, I'm far less depressed than I used to be, and my skin has NEVER been this clear before. The ONLY thing I hate about it is the fact that my breasts hurt all the time. There are very few moments when they don't hurt. More pros than cons for me, though."

ChewieWillows October 6, 2017

"Hey ladies. I was using orthotricyclin for about 2 or 3 years. I absolutely LOVED it. Before birth control my periods used to be really heavy and sometimes I'd go 2 or 3 months with out one (Which is super scary if you're sexually active). On tricyclin my period started on the morning after I took the 3rd green pill every month. It was perfect. The new pharmacy I started going to didn't carry tricyclin, only trinessa. I was hesitant since my body was already used to the other birth control so I took about a year off. Just recently I started trinessa. On the first month, my period was normal. My depression and anxiety are MUCH better than when I wasn't using BC. On my second month now and everything is great! Can't tell a difference from orthotricyclin!"

Leigh0116 October 4, 2017

"TriNessa was the first birth control I had ever been on. I took it for almost a year and had to stop. I suffer from anxiety and depression. My periods were really awful before TriNessa and when I started taking it they were easy and manageable. My skin was glowing and clear. TriNessa made my anxiety and depression so much worse. I cried all the time I had panic attacks and mood swings multiple times a day. I also gained about 15 pounds. I have not tried birth control since, I am so scared that it will be anything similar to trinessa because it isn't worth it."

bribri567989 September 18, 2017

"Pros- predictable periods, clear skin Cons- 20lb weight gain, increased anxiety, worsened depression, very irritable, exhausted, insomnia and heavy, long periods."

Danielle1992 September 10, 2017

"Hey everyone. So I have been taking birth control for the last 8 years for my period. I was having a period every two weeks so I was put on the pill when I was 13. I am 21 years old now. I got put on Tri-nessa about two years ago. I don't remember the name of my birth control before then. But it worked so well for me, cleared my acne, easy periods, no problems....until last week. I got admitted into the hospital on Friday for a blood clot in my left lung. I have no family history of clots and I don't smoke so they ruled it that it was the birth control. I wanted people to know to be careful. Because I'm so young to have something like this happen. So please take with caution. It's a very slim chance but it happened to me."

Najdndufbfh August 14, 2017

"I have been using trinessa for 2 months now and my acne is almost completely nonexistent. I do get a couple zits around my period but other than that I'm cleared up. Only downside is that I start spotting a week before my period but I also haven't been taking for 3 months yet so I may stop spotting early. Other than that I don't have any noticeable symptoms and my periods are much more manageable, I used to have horrid cramps but not anymore!"

roraaa (taken for less than 1 month) August 11, 2017

"I absolutely love trinessa!!!! I am a 25 year old woman with no kids with previous issues of no period/late period/long period/breakouts all the time & constant bloating almost all the time. Trinessa has cleared my bloating, my acne, and my periods!!!! I absolutely love it!!! But I do remember at first it was the hell, I would have headaches and I would feel like I need to throw up "

C.ram15 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 10, 2017