User Reviews for Nortrel 1/35 to treat Birth Control (Page 2)

Nortrel 1/35 has an average rating of 4.9 out of 10 from a total of 62 ratings for the treatment of Birth Control. 34% of those users who reviewed Nortrel 1/35 reported a positive effect, while 42% reported a negative effect.

Nortrel 1/35 Rating Summary

4.9/10 average rating

Compare all 266 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Nortrel 1/35

Anonymous February 9, 2011

“Nortrel is the third birth control I've tried. I have been taking it the for 2 months now. I haven't experienced any breakthrough bleeding, which was my problem on the other two pills, but my periods on this pill have been unbearable. This pill has caused me to have extreme cramps, major mood swings, bloating, back pain, breast tenderness, and a very very heavy period. It lasts about 5 days, but it's far heavier than my period has ever been. I thought that my body just needed to get used to it, but my second period on this pill seemed considerably worse than the first. ”

Marina · Taken for less than 1 month March 22, 2018

“I got switched to this from ortho cyclen due to irregular bleeding. I've been on it for a month. It's good so far. I do feel a little more tired. Not depressed and I'm not sure about this loss of sex drive and crying everyone here is talking about. I feel fine, but I also was on ortho cycle for 7 years before I got switched. Sounds like most of these comments are from people who have never been on birth control or were on a low dose birth control. So far so good for me.”

21f · Taken for less than 1 month August 9, 2019

“I took these pills for two weeks to regulate bleeding from my copper IUD, and it was a complete disaster. I didn’t experience any weight gain, but I was consistently nauseous and my clear face turned into a pepperoni pizza. I also experienced intense mood swings during my last three days on Nortrel. I would not recommend this birth control to anyone. I would rather deal with heavy and irregular periods than out the rest of my body through the gauntlet.”

Lena · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 1, 2018

“I’ve been on this pill for about 4-5 months now and it’s been pretty good. I used to get HORRIBLE and CRIPPLING period cramps but this pill has helped that so much and has regulated my period and made them shorter. But the downside of this pill is that it has made my emotions super out of whack!!!! I cry for no reason sometimes or I’ll be mad for no reason it’s just super frustrating. And makes me super nauseous!! But that was only when I was starting it the first 1-3 months so now everything feels more regulated and I don’t feel like the emotional mess it used to make me (I still get nauseous every once in a while but it happens)”

Anonymous68 April 8, 2016

“I've been on the pill for about 9 months. I've never been on any other birth control pill before, but then again, I'm only 18. I came on here because for the past month my lower part has been extremely dry and it feels like how it usually does after I have sex. Other than the dryness and fear of sex, the pill has been great. My periods are light and only last maybe 3-4 days and so far I haven't gotten pregnant. Definitely recommended.”

Kelly February 17, 2019

“Pros: no acne, no pregnancy, regular periods.Cons: weight gain.Water retention and bloating. Had migraines but went away, still get headaches a lot. Breast tenderness. Hair was thinning out. Dry skin, eyes, vagina. No sex drive, even if I did, the outcome would be dry. Mental cons: Crazy mood swings. Anxiety, insomnia mixed with depression. Stopped the pill for a month. Felt like myself again. Slept sooo good like my body felt like it was healing itself. My groin was feeling flutters like it was on relapse. I was so calm and felt like my outward attitude on everything was wayy more content, happy and more clear. Not agitated so easily. Starting losing weight already for that month. Now I'm switching to another form of BC, but had to get back on the monster pill until I get that. To make sure I don't get pregnant (IUD) So I'm feeling like crap again. Good luck ladies. Experiment cause everyone is different until you find the best for you. This BC just didn't workout for me personally.”

Anonymous August 26, 2017

“I am so glad to see I'm not the only one who had a bad experience with this! I was also switched from neocon, and made to feel crazy when I told the pharmacist this did not feel the same as the neocon. I experienced a lot of nausea, sometimes waking me up in the middle of the night. Headaches, dizziness. Really painful period, weight fluctuation, terrible mood swings. Increased vaginal discharge. Neocon was certainly better. I just switched to aviane, thankfully a new doctors office was able to help me do so. I've been in aviane before and it was worlds better.”

T Mack · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 9, 2017

“I was also switched from Necon to Nortrel. I stopped taking birth control for about 2 years. After I had my son, I was prescribed Necon again, which was great! Then all of a sudden was switched to Nortrel and I've been having problems ever since. My periods are irregular. I get a period a week or 2 before I am supposed to. Then when I'm actually supposes to, It's little to non existent and only lasts about 2 days. I have frequent nausea. I wish they had not discontinued Necon. I had no problems with it after being on it for several years.”

Grammy · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 23, 2020

“I started taking this medicine Nortrel 1/35 in January 2020 it is now April 2020 and I have gained 20 pounds since being on this medication. I will be stopping after this pack is over. When I initially started I had the worst cramps and nausea. It did get better and served its purpose. But a side effect of weight gain is not my favorite.”

Cashmere37 · Taken for less than 1 month May 18, 2017

“I like one of the other reviewers has taken Nortrel 1/35 in place of Necon 1/35 due to lack of med at the pharmacy. I was told that it's literally the same thing but a different company. I am so glad that I stumbled across this forum because it explains the abnormal symptoms that I'm experiencing. I've been taking it 2 weeks today. The past few days I haven't had an appetite at all. I have to force myself to eat. Also, complete loss of interest in sex. As a newlywed...Not a good thing. I also noticed the dryness with sex as well which has never been a problem for me. I will be stopping this med immediately! The pros are not worth the cons.”

Sweetness · Taken for less than 1 month December 17, 2018

“Do not take this!!! I have never had acne in my life, just started taking this. The first day I took this, I was nauseous. Then week two, I started developing cystic acne all over my face. It has also caused insomnia. I’m going to finish the pack, and try something else. Ladies stay away from this pill!!!”

NortrelUser12 · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 23, 2018

“I was on Nortrel (Necon previously) for about 3 years and satisfied with it somewhat. I took it continuously because otherwise I had wild continuous breakthrough bleeding after the sugar pills. While on it I went from 120lbs to 150lbs. With serious changes in diet and exercise I was able to get down to 145 which I wasn't happy with, but dealing with. Recently due to upcoming lifestyle changes (starting work, I didn't want to have to deal with pills everyday) I switched to the Nuvaring. After 1 month on the ring I have lost 8 lbs, despite working out only 3-4 days a week compared the 6-7 I was doing previously. I can't definitively say it was the switch, but the correlation is there. Everyone is different, but I can say that this pill due to the higher dose may have effected my weight negatively.”

nckhella · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 21, 2016

“I took Nortrel 1/35 for five years and generally liked it - I will consider getting on it again when the need arises. My skin was clear, I didn't get pregnant, I didn't have mood swings, and my period was light. I would take 6 weeks worth of pills, and then have a period, as recommended by my doctor. My main issue with it was that by day four of my period I would get a withdrawal headache that would last until I took the first pill of my next pack. This bothered me enough to stop taking it when I'm not in need of a birth control method. I did lose a few pounds almost overnight when I stopped taking it also.”

Avee October 7, 2017

“This birth control was AWFUL for me. Like many others on here, I was switched from Necon 1/35 that I was on for a year and a half and was working wonderfully for me. The first few months I was taking this I noticed my periods were incredibly heavy and my cramps were debilitating. My mood swings became so severe and every month I would have incredible nausea the week before and after my period, yet I managed to gain about 5 pounds despite not having an appetite. I decided to stay on it for a few months to see if the symptoms would straighten themselves out. Now, 6 months in, I'm experiencing MASSIVE hair loss. I'm talking 6-8 thick handfuls a day. I've lost about 1/2 of my hair thickness/volume. Switched to OrthotricyclenLo. Hoping this works”

Tina · Taken for less than 1 month August 11, 2019

“I started the Nortrel 1/35 birth control a week ago and have been nauseous ever since!!! I have no appetite, everything makes me nauseous. I have HORRIBLE mood swings and starting to get cystic acne. I was on depo shot in 2017 but got off after reading many horror stories. I decided on the pill because It was the safest form to me. Despite all the horror stories I can say my experience on depo wasn’t nearly as bad as being on the pills and definitely thinking about switching back!”

C.J. · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 20, 2019

“I started having panic attacks during the placebo pill week of taking Nortrel 1/35. I am not one to have panic attacks... at all. Just recently, (over a year after the panic attacks started), I realized I was switched to this from my original Necon around the time I started having the attacks. My doctor switched me back to Necon, I took the first pill and the next day... panic attack. I've been reading women say they have panic attacks when they're taking this. Mine is the opposite. I have them when I'm not on it. How weird is that? I'm thinking it's going to take a total readjustment of my body to get over it but these panic attacks are debilitating. I dont know what to do. I feel so helpless and stuck.”

Shannon87 March 20, 2015

“I've been on this pill for 10 years now, all of my 20s and late teens. The first 3 months were hell as the other reviews pointed out, heavy bleeding that lasted two weeks for me, super emotional, cramps. After about 3 months things started to level out and I have not had any problems since then. So far the pill has proven effective in preventing unwanted pregnancy, helped control my acne slightly, my periods have gotten lighter. One downer I have noticed is it feels like my sex drive has taken a dip after a year of being on the pill, but aside from that no problems after 10 years.”

Tori · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 19, 2019

“This medication served its purpose, no pregnancy or pregnancy scares. Yet, periods seem to be an extreme hormonal withdrawal and a aterrible emotional state for me. My period was very regular and light but the emotional instability I felt for days during my period was pretty rough. Other than that one issue I’d recommend nortrel 1/35 I’m switching to a cooper IUD to hopefully steer clear of synthetic hormones to try and avoid the withdrawals. Being close to natural always feels best ladies. Best of luck! ”

Amb · Taken for less than 1 month May 3, 2018

“I have been on this pill for only 4 days and I can't stress enough... DO NOT TAKE THIS PILL. I used to take Necon and had a really great experience. However, my insurance switched me to Nortrel and I seriously wish I had read reviews before starting it. I am having constant stomach pain and mood swings. I already suffer from anxiety and somehow this medication has made it SO much worse. I am going from nervous to happy to depressed within a matter of minutes. This stuff is horrible and I am switching ASAP. Be warned ladies.”

Jenbb August 17, 2014

“The first night I took This pill I got the worst headache that woke me up, followed by severe nausea and vomiting. Hours later my left arm went numb and I had to go to the urgent care. It was so scary! If this happens to you- stop taking it!”

RachLiz · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 31, 2017

“I had a wonderful experience with Necon, which I was on for several years. I was given Nortrel 3 months ago and told it was the same. I have been experiencing symptoms of anxiety/depression recently that has been affecting my relationships. I am usually the opposite and have nothing going on that would lead to feeling this way. Interesting to find that others have had similar bad experiences. Sad to hear they discontinued Necon. Will have to switch yet again.”

AMTB November 4, 2017

“This medication is the worst!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been very depressed, anxious, not myself at all, had crying outbursts, lost all interest in sex altogether (I'm 24, healthy, work out 3-4 times a week and eat well). The GYN's solution was to have me take fewer placebos and go straight to the actives after that. I too was switched from Necon (took for 10 years) to this nightmare from which I cannot wake up, and Walgreens had the nerve to tell me it's the same thing. Newsflash, it is NOT. The inactive ingredients are different, and metabolized differently. Also, name brands such as Necon are held to stringent standards of how much active hormone is in each pill - generics are not! Please God let there be something they can switch me to.”

LauraCoba August 22, 2017

“I hate this drug. Supposedly they took Necon 1/35 off the market so Walgreens gave me this. I didn't have a period for three months and it tore my stomach up so much that I had to miss work days due to upset stomach and vomiting. I asked to be put on the name brand drug. Ortho Novum 1/35, while it is expensive $65 per month it's worth not having all the pain and discomfort.”

Jen2nd · Taken for less than 1 month September 29, 2017

“I have been on modicon in the past with no side effects except for a little spotting. Went off birth control pills for 6 years. Just started Nortrel and they said it's generic for Modicon. I only lasted a week and a half on it. I had severe nausea and got acne from it. I stopped taking it for 2 days now and I got a full on fake period. Just wanted to let people know about the nausea if they are sensitive to that type of thing.”

Anonymous May 23, 2017

“I've started this birth control and its been shy of a month for me. I did experience nauseousness for the first week then it went away. I hardly had an appetite as well. However, I noticed large amounts of hair shedding after I showered each time... and my hair is noticeable feeling thinner than ever before. Very depressing! I had to completely stop taking it.”

More about Nortrel 1 / 35 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone)

Other brands