User Reviews for Nortrel 1 / 35

Birth Control
4.7

Summary of Nortrel 1/35 reviews 4.8 36 reviews

Reviews for Nortrel 1/35

For Birth Control "I’ve been taking Nortrel for a few years now after trying a few different pills. I have a very hard time finding one that’s doesn’t cause breakthrough bleeding all month long. This is the only one that has helped with that issue but it comes with its own consequences. I get extremely moody & have spells of minor depression. I also have zero sex drive, but that’s been an issue with every pill I’ve tried. I have gained weight but I also don’t eat the greatest & getting older. So, I’m not 100% happy with it but it’s the only one that doesn’t make me bleed all month which is my biggest concern."

CB (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 17, 2018

For Birth Control "I overreacted the first few days and got scared I was having a heart attack haha. It can mess with you if you read everything online. But truly, your body is just getting used to it, you shouldn’t stop taking it the first week - that’s so silly (unless your really ill). I've been on it for a bit now and I like this first ever birth control for me. I’m 20 and I’m pretty active. I always drink a lot of water and prop my feet above my heart for about 15 minutes a day because it’s good for you. Especially if you’re worried about blood clots. Just listen to your body(: it’ll be fine."

Brayict (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on Nortrel (Necon previously) for about 3 years and satisfied with it somewhat. I took it continuously because otherwise I had wild continuous breakthrough bleeding after the sugar pills. While on it I went from 120lbs to 150lbs. With serious changes in diet and exercise I was able to get down to 145 which I wasn't happy with, but dealing with. Recently due to upcoming lifestyle changes (starting work, I didn't want to have to deal with pills everyday) I switched to the Nuvaring. After 1 month on the ring I have lost 8 lbs, despite working out only 3-4 days a week compared the 6-7 I was doing previously. I can't definitively say it was the switch, but the correlation is there. Everyone is different, but I can say that this pill due to the higher dose may have effected my weight negatively."

NortrelUser12 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 23, 2018

For Birth Control "Worst birth control ever clearly didn't prevent pregnancy for me"

Anonymous May 30, 2018

For Birth Control "It was an awful experience, mood swings weight gain and I had cystic acne which developed with in the first month of taking it. It ended up ruining the skin on my face. I have huge scars the dermatologist is helping me removing them but it scared me for life. Do not take."

Liv (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2018

For Birth Control "This birth control was awful. While it did it's job in ensuring pregnancy prevention, I experienced the worst headaches and cystic acne of my life. Horrible mood swings and painful cramping. Do not take this medication if you have other options."

Sam (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 8, 2018

For Birth Control "I have been on this pill for only 4 days and I can't stress enough... DO NOT TAKE THIS PILL. I used to take Necon and had a really great experience. However, my insurance switched me to Nortrel and I seriously wish I had read reviews before starting it. I am having constant stomach pain and mood swings. I already suffer from anxiety and somehow this medication has made it SO much worse. I am going from nervous to happy to depressed within a matter of minutes. This stuff is horrible and I am switching ASAP. Be warned ladies."

Amb (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2018

For Birth Control "Like most, I was taking Necon which was discontinued so Nortrel was / is its replacement. Nortrel has been the worst experience ever, especially days before and during my cycle. Per my experience ( migraines, nausea, and stomach cramps that feel like something is ripping it apart) all of which I didn't experience before, I don't think this drug is safe. I don't have cysts but the side effects of this drug is sure to cause some problems. I've decided to have my doctor change my prescription."

Anonymous May 2, 2018

For Birth Control "I've been suffering from migraines for at least 10 years. Part of my problem was neck pain causing them which I fixed. The other factors was hormonal migraine. When I was able to get control of my migraines through physical therapy, I was still getting severe ones during my period. I take nortrel 1/35 continuously. I have just one period every 3 months. It's been a life saver. My migraines have reduced dramatically in terms of frequency and severity. As a bonus my skin is super clear. I went from having 12 migraines a month to about 3. This birth control is amazing! I personally have had no negative side effects, it's been great."

Anonymous May 2, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve been on this pill for about 4-5 months now and it’s been pretty good. I used to get HORRIBLE and CRIPPLING period cramps but this pill has helped that so much and has regulated my period and made them shorter. But the downside of this pill is that it has made my emotions super out of whack!!!! I cry for no reason sometimes or I’ll be mad for no reason it’s just super frustrating. And makes me super nauseous!! But that was only when I was starting it the first 1-3 months so now everything feels more regulated and I don’t feel like the emotional mess it used to make me (I still get nauseous every once in a while but it happens)"

Lena (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2018

For Birth Control "I feel great no side effects on my end! My periods don’t last long and they are regular thankfully"

Faith87 April 22, 2018

For Birth Control "So my OB just started me on this medication because I have ovarian cysts.!! I’ve had brith control in the past and I’ve never felt any side affects, unlike Nortrel I’ve had the WORST nausea ever.!! Keep in mind I’m on my first week on this medication I couldn’t find the reason of what was causing the nausea until I looked up the medication and BAMB.!!! Sure enough it’s this damn medication that it’s making me feel this way. I already suffer from anxiety / depression as it is but with this medication it’s 10x worse. Low sex drive I cannot wait until my doctors office open so I can call and let them know hopefully they will change it.!! OVER ALL SUCH A HORRIBLE MEDICATION.!!! Do not take if you are very sensitive.!!"

Deeeanaa (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2018

For Birth Control "Just like everyone else I was on Necon for years no problem whatsoever. I got switched to Nortrel a year ago I'd say. I was a normal healthy person until I started this darn pill! The worst part about this pill is the nausea! I get sick almost every single day vomiting for hours and not being able to sleep due to an upset stomach and taking the pill a few hours prior. it's ridiculous. As for my periods they're all messed up. I could or could not get it who knows. For a year now I've seen doctors thinking it's some type of GI stomach issue. I'm beginning to think it's the stupid pill I am officially done taking these pills and if I start getting better I'm doing something about this as an writing to a company. I can see many females health have been at risk due to this pill and that is not alright! Nortrel watch out your reviews about to be bad.I've also been experiencing horrible moods along with depression and twice the anxiety I've ever had.making me feel like I'm unhealthy and insane."

AJR (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 9, 2018

"Been using it for 6 weeks now. Periods are now at every 2 weeks with 1 week off. Bloating, increase water retention. Menstrual cramps are horrible. Sex drive has decreased. Only been using this to decrease menstrual flow, and seen any difference, now hate the product. Only upside....my breast size increased."

Van March 26, 2018

For Birth Control "I got switched to this from ortho cyclen due to irregular bleeding. I've been on it for a month. It's good so far. I do feel a little more tired. Not depressed and I'm not sure about this loss of sex drive and crying everyone here is talking about. I feel fine, but I also was on ortho cycle for 7 years before I got switched. Sounds like most of these comments are from people who have never been on birth control or were on a low dose birth control. So far so good for me."

Marina (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2018

For Birth Control "I had a wonderful experience with Necon, which I was on for several years. I was given Nortrel 3 months ago and told it was the same. I have been experiencing symptoms of anxiety/depression recently that has been affecting my relationships. I am usually the opposite and have nothing going on that would lead to feeling this way. Interesting to find that others have had similar bad experiences. Sad to hear they discontinued Necon. Will have to switch yet again."

RachLiz (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 31, 2017

For Birth Control "This was the WORST experience I've ever had with a birth control. My relaxed and chill personality instantly changed when I started taking these pills to a severe extreme. I would have anxiety constantly, felt annoyed at everything, I would have bursts of intense crying over nothing, I felt depressed and sad. Why take birth control when you become a bitchy sad person that doesn't want sex anymore? DO NOT TAKE THIS!!!"

Anonymous November 30, 2017

For Birth Control "So far I haven't really had issues with this birth control yet and I have been using it for 3 months. The main issue I had is that it made my back breakout more than usual but it seems like it's getting better now. I take it at night so it doesn't make me have any nausea. My periods are still not regulated normally with it yet but I have noticed they have gotten lighter, yet they are still painful."

Gorl (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 6, 2017

For Birth Control "This medication is the worst!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been very depressed, anxious, not myself at all, had crying outbursts, lost all interest in sex altogether (I'm 24, healthy, work out 3-4 times a week and eat well). The GYN's solution was to have me take fewer placebos and go straight to the actives after that. I too was switched from Necon (took for 10 years) to this nightmare from which I cannot wake up, and Walgreens had the nerve to tell me it's the same thing. Newsflash, it is NOT. The inactive ingredients are different, and metabolized differently. Also, name brands such as Necon are held to stringent standards of how much active hormone is in each pill - generics are not! Please God let there be something they can switch me to."

AMTB November 4, 2017

For Birth Control "I was also switched from Necon to Nortrel. I stopped taking birth control for about 2 years. After I had my son, I was prescribed Necon again, which was great! Then all of a sudden was switched to Nortrel and I've been having problems ever since. My periods are irregular. I get a period a week or 2 before I am supposed to. Then when I'm actually supposes to, It's little to non existent and only lasts about 2 days. I have frequent nausea. I wish they had not discontinued Necon. I had no problems with it after being on it for several years."

T Mack (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 9, 2017

For Birth Control "This birth control was AWFUL for me. Like many others on here, I was switched from Necon 1/35 that I was on for a year and a half and was working wonderfully for me. The first few months I was taking this I noticed my periods were incredibly heavy and my cramps were debilitating. My mood swings became so severe and every month I would have incredible nausea the week before and after my period, yet I managed to gain about 5 pounds despite not having an appetite. I decided to stay on it for a few months to see if the symptoms would straighten themselves out. Now, 6 months in, I'm experiencing MASSIVE hair loss. I'm talking 6-8 thick handfuls a day. I've lost about 1/2 of my hair thickness/volume. Switched to OrthotricyclenLo. Hoping this works"

Avee October 7, 2017

For Birth Control "Well when I started this pill, it took 3-4 months to regulate my period and it worked for about 2-3 months. Then I started missing periods and it was gone for 2 months. Finally my period came but I had it for 2 weeks. So then I start the new pack, I'm good for a week then I got my period. It lasts for 4 days then it stops for 5 days. Then it comes back for a full heavy week. It stopped for a couple days and then it came back at the HOMECOMING DANCE. All of this happened before the placebo pills. So currently I am transitioning to a different one. Also it made me very irritable and lowered my sex drive by a ton "

Daisy8102 October 3, 2017

For Birth Control "I started taking this medicine and by the second week I had red patches from my hands all the way up to my face. I stopped taking and with in 4 days gone. NEVER AGAIN...."

There Mommy (taken for less than 1 month) October 1, 2017

For Birth Control "I have been on modicon in the past with no side effects except for a little spotting. Went off birth control pills for 6 years. Just started Nortrel and they said it's generic for Modicon. I only lasted a week and a half on it. I had severe nausea and got acne from it. I stopped taking it for 2 days now and I got a full on fake period. Just wanted to let people know about the nausea if they are sensitive to that type of thing."

Jen2nd (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2017

For Birth Control "I am so glad to see I'm not the only one who had a bad experience with this! I was also switched from neocon, and made to feel crazy when I told the pharmacist this did not feel the same as the neocon. I experienced a lot of nausea, sometimes waking me up in the middle of the night. Headaches, dizziness. Really painful period, weight fluctuation, terrible mood swings. Increased vaginal discharge. Neocon was certainly better. I just switched to aviane, thankfully a new doctors office was able to help me do so. I've been in aviane before and it was worlds better."

Anonymous August 26, 2017

Page 1 2

More about Nortrel 1/35 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone)

Other brands: Lo Loestrin Fe, Junel Fe 1/20, Microgestin Fe 1/20, Taytulla, ... +43 more

Professional resources