User Reviews for Nortrel 1 / 35

3.5

5 reviews
Summary of Nortrel 1/35 reviews 4.6 25 reviews

Reviews for Nortrel 1/35

For Birth Control "So far I haven't really had issues with this birth control yet and I have been using it for 3 months. The main issue I had is that it made my back breakout more than usual but it seems like it's getting better now. I take it at night so it doesn't make me have any nausea. My periods are still not regulated normally with it yet but I have noticed they have gotten lighter, yet they are still painful."

Gorl (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "This medication is the worst!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been very depressed, anxious, not myself at all, had crying outbursts, lost all interest in sex altogether (I'm 24, healthy, work out 3-4 times a week and eat well). The GYN's solution was to have me take fewer placebos and go straight to the actives after that. I too was switched from Necon (took for 10 years) to this nightmare from which I cannot wake up, and Walgreens had the nerve to tell me it's the same thing. Newsflash, it is NOT. The inactive ingredients are different, and metabolized differently. Also, name brands such as Necon are held to stringent standards of how much active hormone is in each pill - generics are not! Please God let there be something they can switch me to."

AMTB November 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I was also switched from Necon to Nortrel. I stopped taking birth control for about 2 years. After I had my son, I was prescribed Necon again, which was great! Then all of a sudden was switched to Nortrel and I've been having problems ever since. My periods are irregular. I get a period a week or 2 before I am supposed to. Then when I'm actually supposes to, It's little to non existent and only lasts about 2 days. I have frequent nausea. I wish they had not discontinued Necon. I had no problems with it after being on it for several years."

T Mack (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "This birth control was AWFUL for me. Like many others on here, I was switched from Necon 1/35 that I was on for a year and a half and was working wonderfully for me. The first few months I was taking this I noticed my periods were incredibly heavy and my cramps were debilitating. My mood swings became so severe and every month I would have incredible nausea the week before and after my period, yet I managed to gain about 5 pounds despite not having an appetite. I decided to stay on it for a few months to see if the symptoms would straighten themselves out. Now, 6 months in, I'm experiencing MASSIVE hair loss. I'm talking 6-8 thick handfuls a day. I've lost about 1/2 of my hair thickness/volume. Switched to OrthotricyclenLo. Hoping this works"

Avee October 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Well when I started this pill, it took 3-4 months to regulate my period and it worked for about 2-3 months. Then I started missing periods and it was gone for 2 months. Finally my period came but I had it for 2 weeks. So then I start the new pack, I'm good for a week then I got my period. It lasts for 4 days then it stops for 5 days. Then it comes back for a full heavy week. It stopped for a couple days and then it came back at the HOMECOMING DANCE. All of this happened before the placebo pills. So currently I am transitioning to a different one. Also it made me very irritable and lowered my sex drive by a ton "

Daisy8102 October 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I started taking this medicine and by the second week I had red patches from my hands all the way up to my face. I stopped taking and with in 4 days gone. NEVER AGAIN...."

There Mommy (taken for less than 1 month) October 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have been on modicon in the past with no side effects except for a little spotting. Went off birth control pills for 6 years. Just started Nortrel and they said it's generic for Modicon. I only lasted a week and a half on it. I had severe nausea and got acne from it. I stopped taking it for 2 days now and I got a full on fake period. Just wanted to let people know about the nausea if they are sensitive to that type of thing."

Jen2nd (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I am so glad to see I'm not the only one who had a bad experience with this! I was also switched from neocon, and made to feel crazy when I told the pharmacist this did not feel the same as the neocon. I experienced a lot of nausea, sometimes waking me up in the middle of the night. Headaches, dizziness. Really painful period, weight fluctuation, terrible mood swings. Increased vaginal discharge. Neocon was certainly better. I just switched to aviane, thankfully a new doctors office was able to help me do so. I've been in aviane before and it was worlds better."

Anonymous August 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I hate this drug. Supposedly they took Necon 1/35 off the market so Walgreens gave me this. I didn't have a period for three months and it tore my stomach up so much that I had to miss work days due to upset stomach and vomiting. I asked to be put on the name brand drug. Ortho Novum 1/35, while it is expensive $65 per month it's worth not having all the pain and discomfort."

LauraCoba August 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"They switched me from Necon to Nortrel saying it was the "same". Within the first week I knew it was bad for my body. My acne got worse and hurt, and my doctor said it should be helping my acne get better. Since I started 6 months ago with Nortrel I have had dry eyes and now I have a hard time seeing far away, which my eye doctor said is due to dry eyes since I have 20/20 vision. I was on Necon for 4 years and was so upset they switched me. I'm stopping the pill completely now and I'm worried about side effects of going off but it's not worth the dry eyes and other bad side effects. Very disappointed."

Blushing Beaut (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "This is my first birth control pill I've tried and the first night taking this and I woke up with severe nausea and have been in the bathroom vomiting on and off for 4 hours now. Hopefully the nausea will go away and the vomiting will subside so the pill can do its job."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "My acne was very mild. First month my acne increased, and now has increased even more."

Assistant Principal HS (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne "Doctor prescribed me this and I wish I never took it. Have to finish the pack so my period will get back on track. But honestly this sucks. Made me go from mild acne to severe cystic acne on forehead and chin with reoccurring whiteheads on my nose and t zone. Hate it."

Acne girl (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've started this birth control and its been shy of a month for me. I did experience nauseousness for the first week then it went away. I hardly had an appetite as well. However, I noticed large amounts of hair shedding after I showered each time... and my hair is noticeable feeling thinner than ever before. Very depressing! I had to completely stop taking it."

Anonymous May 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I like one of the other reviewers has taken Nortrel 1/35 in place of Necon 1/35 due to lack of med at the pharmacy. I was told that it's literally the same thing but a different company. I am so glad that I stumbled across this forum because it explains the abnormal symptoms that I'm experiencing. I've been taking it 2 weeks today. The past few days I haven't had an appetite at all. I have to force myself to eat. Also, complete loss of interest in sex. As a newlywed...Not a good thing. I also noticed the dryness with sex as well which has never been a problem for me. I will be stopping this med immediately! The pros are not worth the cons."

Cashmere37 (taken for less than 1 month) May 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've been on Necon 1/35 for almost two years now, but had to switch to Notrel last month because it was all my pharmacy had to distribute apparently. The first month of taking it I had no problems but my period was super light and lasted 2 days (concerning, but only slightly). Now I'm on month two and my first pill last night made me so incredibly nauseous. I woke up at 4am running to the bathroom because I thought I was going to vomit. This feeling has lasted another 5 hours now, and I've taken one ondansetron (anti nausea tablet) since then and drank some water with no change. So far the pill has been great at preventing pregnancy, but my sex drive has lowered significantly. Hoping this nauseousness goes away soon!"

Brit. March 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Menstrual Disorders "Ive been on it for about 3 years. Has worked well and no problems. I was on a triphasic for a year and it made my migraines horrible the monophasic pill has helped. An interesting side effect is I do not continuously take the pills, i just take it normally. After a few months my periods completely disappeared. I freaked out thinking i was pregnant and took a test, it was negative and told my doctor and had a blood test ran and found no pregnancy or other problems. He said it was a side effect that my periods would just go away. It's great but still weird to me, I've only had spotting for 2 days in the last 3 years. Save money on tampons though! I also noted that your sex drive does go down, never had any problems with dryness though."

Sam K October 17, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Worked great for abnormal bleeding. Great for mood swings. Made me fat fat fat."

Karebear123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 7, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've been on the pill for about 9 months. I've never been on any other birth control pill before, but then again, I'm only 18. I came on here because for the past month my lower part has been extremely dry and it feels like how it usually does after I have sex. Other than the dryness and fear of sex, the pill has been great. My periods are light and only last maybe 3-4 days and so far I haven't gotten pregnant. Definitely recommended."

Anonymous68 April 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I took Nortrel 1/35 for five years and generally liked it - I will consider getting on it again when the need arises. My skin was clear, I didn't get pregnant, I didn't have mood swings, and my period was light. I would take 6 weeks worth of pills, and then have a period, as recommended by my doctor. My main issue with it was that by day four of my period I would get a withdrawal headache that would last until I took the first pill of my next pack. This bothered me enough to stop taking it when I'm not in need of a birth control method. I did lose a few pounds almost overnight when I stopped taking it also."

nckhella (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've been on this pill for 10 years now, all of my 20s and late teens. The first 3 months were hell as the other reviews pointed out, heavy bleeding that lasted two weeks for me, super emotional, cramps. After about 3 months things started to level out and I have not had any problems since then. So far the pill has proven effective in preventing unwanted pregnancy, helped control my acne slightly, my periods have gotten lighter. One downer I have noticed is it feels like my sex drive has taken a dip after a year of being on the pill, but aside from that no problems after 10 years."

Shannon87 March 20, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've been on this pill for 9 years and started looking on this page because I was told I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, a heart murmur, and possibly lymphoma. I was just interested in the side effects. I don't know that my birth control has caused it but I'm healthy and 29. I eat healthy and exercise. My current weight is 101. I've never had weight issues with pill and never had bad cramps. Periods have always been easy. I do get a full period if I miss just one pill which I'm hearing isn't normal but it's what my body does. Overall I have been satisfied with this pill just wondering now what long term effects could be."

SaraPineapple November 14, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "The first night I took This pill I got the worst headache that woke me up, followed by severe nausea and vomiting. Hours later my left arm went numb and I had to go to the urgent care. It was so scary! If this happens to you- stop taking it!"

Jenbb August 17, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I went on Nortrel 1/35 at the age of 21 to regulate my periods, make them more manageable, less painful every month and to clear up my skin. During the first week I was extremely sad to the point where I was crying every day for no reason. I remained on the pill for a year and even though the first week was the worst with mood swings I remained emotionally sensitive throughout the whole duration of taking the pill. It helped clear up my skin within a few months and also made my periods more manageable as well as predictable. After a year though I broke out with erythema multiform all over my body due to a sensitivity to progesterone (that's the current diagnosis). I am now in the process of considering another birth control to balance it out."

hesitantalso May 30, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Menstrual Disorders "I love this pill! It has helped my skin, made my periods shorter and lighter (2 days) and I like it because its a monophasic pill. Triphasic pills often can lead to breakthrough bleeding because the hormones increase each week but the monophasic pills don't increase..they stay the same. "

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 16, 2012