User Reviews for Junel 1 / 20

Birth Control
5.5

Summary of Junel 1/20 reviews 5.5 26 reviews

Reviews for Junel 1/20

For Birth Control "I started taking Junel in April of 2017, so it's been a little over a year. I'm 26 / 5'5 / 135 lbs. Not gonna lie, for the first 5 months I was totally fine and happy with the pill. I didn't see acne, didn't gain too much weight (2lbs at most). Then... I gain 25+ POUNDS IN THE LAST YEAR. & 2-3 days before my period I become this complete witch and I'm so emotional and cry over everything and anything. I have never in my life had these types of symptoms before my period. I'm going to my gyno today to change my pill to something low(er). I didn't realize that the weight gain and episodes were from my birth control until it just hit me a month ago and I started to research it. Now I guess I gotta do some trial and error with new pills but what sucks is my side effects didn't kick in until months later. Now that I read reviews with other women having the same emotions and weight gain... It all makes sense. Makes me feel a little better that I'm not ACTUALLY crazy lol."

Nani October 9, 2018

For Birth Control "I recently switched from taytulla to this horrible pill. Although it is cheaper. I have noticed extreme weight gain and acne, but worst of all extreme anxiety and depression! Which I have never experienced before. Horrible symptoms in just one cycle of this pill. I wish there was something else to take for the light periods that doesn’t cost $175 per month with insurance. I feel like women are discriminated against with all of this hoopla. Unfair"

Anonymous October 6, 2018

For Birth Control "Before Junel, I (5', 90 lbs) was put on Vienva for severe cramps as well as a birth control method, and soon after experienced severe (worsened) depression; though it did help with my cramps and decreased my flow. The depression got so bad that I asked my doctor to switch to a lower dose, and Junel's been working just fine. I think I have been on it for 5-6 months now, and I do still have depressive episodes but I also had them before getting on any hormonal medication, so it's hard to say whether or not Junel causes/worsens it. My cramps still show up here and there for a few hours when my period starts, but they're MUCH better than before. I'm lucky to be able to say that my weight and acne levels have been about the same since starting."

daisy October 1, 2018

For Birth Control "First time ever taking BC and I was on this pill for 5 months. The only symptom I had for a while was being very emotional. I completely stopped having a period in the 3rd month which I enjoyed. In the 4th month, I got really hot tempered for about 2 weeks then I mellowed out for a while. In the 5th month I started having symptoms of depression... always crying for no reason, sleeping and not eating. I stopped taking them because it was a struggle to be that depressed. I did NOT have any weight gain, acne problems, or libido decrease."

M (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 28, 2018

For Birth Control "Second month on Junel fe. I'm 35yrs old never on birthcontrol before, this is my first time ever. Cons: horrible acne (never had acne before), cramps, painful intercourse (never had before this) First month on it I had nausea, as I'm finishing the second month it has subsided. First period started really light and got heavier which was a bit disappointing, was under the impression that this would help lessen the heaviness. Pros: Prevents pregnancy. Loss of appetite. I will give this a total of 3 months but will probably switch if the acne persists and periods don't get lighter."

Mrlee (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 26, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve only been taking this pill for about a month but so far I am very happy with the results. I was very nervous to start Junel based off the other reviews but I’ve have a fairly positive experience. Before taking Junel I would get terrible cramps (that would cause me to cancel plans/ responsibilities) and extremely heavy periods. I now only have very minor if any cramping at all during my period and a significantly lighter flow. The only semi problem I’ve experienced is a little acne but I’m sure this is just because my body is normalizing to the hormones and hope this begins to go away. I hope this helps and reduces some of your nerves about this pill :)"

Col September 19, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve been on this pill for about maybe 5 months. I used to take microgestin which made me extremely tired all the time. When I started Junel I noticed immediate appetite increase, and I’ve gained a lot of weight. Also, I almost never get acne and this makes me break out constantly. I don’t feel depressed or tired like I used to but I want to switch due to weight gain and acne, this pill does nothing for my cramps either, still the same pain as before. I don’t recommend this pill."

Rose (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 6, 2018

For Birth Control "I have been taking this pill for 10 months. It has hardly done anything for my cramps. They've gotten progressively worse throughout the months and my period lasts for 6 days. I've had many mood swings, increased anxiety, and even depression. I still get breast tenderness and I've also experienced lack of appetite. I would not recommend this pill, especially if you are looking for something to help with cramps."

Jojo August 2, 2018

For Birth Control "I switched to Junel 1/20 recently from taking Tri Sprintec. And personally I enjoy Junel 1/20 so much more. The only side effects I get is having a headache, feeling drowsy after 1 hour of taking it, loss of appetite and a little mood swings. Yea, these are side effects that many may be frighten of, but honestly, it's so much better then my side effects from taking Tri Sprintec. When I took Tri Sprintec, my side effects were depression, weight gain, breast growth, cramps, constantly in a bad mood."

jiqi99 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2018

For Birth Control "Switched to Junel 1/20 for one month and GAINED 7 POUNDS!! I have never been over 115lb and as soon as I started this pill I noticed I gained weight... turns out it was seven pounds! I have also never had cramps this bad before!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2018

For Birth Control "If there was an option to give 0/10 I would. I’ve been on Minastrin for years but it costs be about $50 a month due to my insurance coverage, so I decided to switch to Junel 1/20. I had zero issues with Minastrin. So there I was, day 3 of Junel 1/20. I had to leave work because I was throwing up, even laying in bed I’m nauseous. So sure, I might be saving money by taking Junel, BUT I was crying due to my mood from this awful awful birth control and I was throwing up at work, just talking made me want to vomit. I called my gyno in tears and thankfully they switched my prescription back and called my pharmacy. Never ever EVER EVEERRRRR take this awful medication. Made me cancel a date I was looking forward to. Sure, instead of paying $50 for BC I only paid $6.35. And no wonder. I wouldn’t have even paid a dollar for this garbage!!!! Awful. Just awful."

Nik (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2018

For Birth Control "Junel 1/20 is terrible! My doctor put me on this pill to help with my Endometriosis, and it has done nothing! I’ve had experiences where I’ve bleed for a month straight and it’s done nothing for my pain! I still fall to the ground and lay there for a few minutes before I find the strength to get up! LADIES your doctor knows the body but YOU know your body better! If it’s been 3 months or 10, if you have issues please change your pill because you’re doing more harm then good"

Noni (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 19, 2018

For Birth Control "First and foremost, most of the reviews that are negative are due to the fact that women aren’t patient enough to bare the immediate side effects. You need to wait 3 months before you decide to switch or stay on the birth control. I’ve tried several different birth controls and this one has worked the BEST! However, the first month you’ll be hungry, constantly. Try to drink tea or have smaller meals throughout the day to avoid weight gain. I really really love this medication. I feel back to myself, I gained probably 2-3 pounds the first few weeks actually but it’s been 2 months and now I can control my appetite. I recently got my period and didn’t experience ANY PMS. Just the first day I got my period I was moody. Little to no bleeding, still got minor cramps but not bad enough to take Midol. Overall, try this medication. But stay on it. If you really don’t like it after 3 months then you can switch."

Audrey May 6, 2018

For Birth Control "I had been taking Microgestin since I was 16 and my doctor switched me over to Junel about 3 months ago and had me taking them continuously. Periods aren’t bad which is nice but I gained like 12 pounds within the first few weeks of taking it. I have always been a very thin person so I could tell something was changing. Just reacts to everyone differently, but not a bad BC."

Steph (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2018

For Birth Control "It says don't take if u r a smoker and over 35 well I don't smoke but I'm over 35 years old. I can say side effects are nothing major. I've had spotting nausea, headaches and no sex drive at all. My discharge had been greenish but I heard bc pills can cause it because I haven't got an infection. I forget to take it at same time sometimes but overall so far so good"

Mommakane37 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2018

For Birth Control "This birth control is the best one I've had so far! I've been on multiple birth controls for over 10 years but this has been good to me for a straight 3 years now. My hair grows beautifully and I DON'T gain any weight. I actually lost 5 lb but it does makes you little nauseas sometimes which decreases my appetite. You don't even notice it after a while. Love it!"

HealthyAnne12 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 21, 2018

For Birth Control "I always find myself coming back to this pill. I went off of it because I wanted to try the Kyleena IUD and all my hair fell out. I got back on June 1/20 and my hair grew like weeds. Got off of it, hair shed. Got back on, hair grew like weeds. 8/10 because this pill does make me pretty emotional before my period but it only lasts 2-3 days and is pretty light. Also noticed bleeding during intercourse after being on this pill (was checked by doctor no STDs) probably from a thinning of the uterine wall. Cramps are mild and acne flares up only during my period. I’ve only noticed a 5 pound flunctuation on the pill that I accredit to poor diet and exercise... overall this has been my favorite birth control!"

Hi February 27, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on Junel Fe for 6 months. From the very beginning it made my acne horrible. I normally never have acne except for the week of my period, and then it will only be like one or two Whitehead’s. But the entire time I was on this pill, terrible terrible acne all over my face. After being off Junel for a month my face is totally clear and back to normal. I stopped this pill because of the breakthrough bleeding I was having. It felt like I had to wear a light pad all the time because I never knew when I was going to bleed and sometimes the spotting was heavier than just spotting. Super annoying. My MD said it was normal, wait 3 more months. Welp, after 6 months no change so I switched pills. Didn’t really decrease cramping either."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 7, 2017

For Birth Control "Oh, Junel, you sneaky, awful pill..... Let me preface this by saying Junel did what it was supposed to do, which is prevent pregnancies. With that said, I got the WORST melasma (darkening of the skin) from this pill. My pharmacy changed to this from Gildess and that's when the problems started. Over the next year, I noticed that I had dark patches (which seemed to be getting larger and darker by the month). I am so upset about my skin and wish I never came across these pills. I used to have beautiful, flawless olive skin. Now it's looks like someone took a paint brush and flung paint all over my face. Do not take this pill.....there are better ones on the market that won't ruin your skin."

DesertRose33 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 1, 2017

For Birth Control "This is my fourth month in Junel 1/20. I used to be on Gildess & was switched to this after it was discontinued. I have to take a low hormone birth control because all other birth controls have given me extreme sickness. This birth control has worked very well for me. Light periods which are regular and predictable. I don't think this birth control has made me gain weight and if anything my skin looks good. I just feel normal which is a good thing. I do have anxiety problems so it's hard to tell if the birth control has been effecting that. I do have to say I've had some constipation but don't know if it is related to the pill and also slightly lowered sex drive but again not 100% sure if that's related to the pill."

AnonymousSUomynona May 15, 2017

For Birth Control "This birth control over all is great (for me). I have not had any problems on it besides weight gain. I deff notice an increase in appetite and always gain 5-7 lbs when on it. I don't have an appetite when off of it. My periods are 2-3 days and are barely even there. I do have cramping & headaches a couple hours before getting it but nothing crazy that I cannot tolerate. No acne either!"

ChessB (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 19, 2016

For Birth Control "I was very hesitant to start birth control, but needed to as my relationship got more serious and I needed to be protected. The first 3 days of taking the 21 day pack Junel, I did experience some nausea (mild, but didn't have an appetite.) It did subside, but now looking back I have realized that slowly, but surely I have become super emotionless/apathetic a bit more month by month. I hit my threshold of not "feeling" this month and am most likely getting an IUD next month. I am a very emotional person, which I love that about myself. On Junel, I am numb and just blah. It's different from depression. Other side effects were very minor, but included my breasts growing half a cup, probably 1-2lbs weight gain in my mid section. Skin Is good."

COGIRL March 8, 2016

For Birth Control "I have been on Junel 1/20 for 2 months and just started my third pack. The first 2 months were fine. My periods are regular and actually shorter and lighter than they've ever been which is a plus!! But every night since I started this pack, I've woke up with nausea and vomiting! I've also had a terrible headache every day... One side effect I've had all along is lack of sex drive. Everyone responds differently to birth control but unfortunately, I do not think this one is for me."

AMI121515 December 15, 2015

For Birth Control "i went on Junel fe about 15 months ago for extremely painful cramps during my period and for birth control, about two months after I lost most of my sex drive and over the course I've been taking it I went from 110-138, I'm 5'0 and 18, and even after all these months I'm still finding new stretch marks and gaining weight and I'm barely eating. I'm switching at the end of this pack(finally). I gave it 4/10 because it kept me from getting pregnant but otherwise it sucks."

Paisley19 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 23, 2015

For Birth Control "I recently switched to Junel from being on Loestrin 24 FE for years. I have been on Junel 1/20 for a month now and I'm pleased to say I have had no side effects. The switch over has been flawless."

Zippidy do da July 28, 2013