User Reviews for Junel 1 / 20 to treat Birth Control

Junel 1 / 20 has an average rating of 5.5 out of 10 from a total of 83 ratings for the treatment of Birth Control. 34% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 36% reported a negative effect.

Junel 1/20 Rating Summary

5.5/10 average rating

Compare all 277 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Junel 1 / 20

Renren July 13, 2021

“It didn't work on controlling periods, but it did make it lighter.”

Jane0123 · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 1, 2021

“This pill is terrible. Do not use this pill. This was the second pill I was put on because my insurance company stopped covering the old one. I was on this pill for 15 months, during which time I had super heavy periods every other week, horrible mood swings, and ridiculously painful cramps. Furthermore, if I took the pill at night, I woke up nauseous in the morning. Save yourself the trouble. If I could rate it zero stars, I absolutely would.”

Mo April 20, 2021

“I started Junel Fe 1/20 back in March. I had taken one other type of birth control about 4 years ago (the patch) which made me a complete lunatic! I almost jumped off a bridge! For years I have always had extreme mood swings just before my period. I described my symptoms as each time I felt blue, suicidal and enraged right before my period. I also told the doctors each time this happened I was ALWAYS on my cycle. The doctor suggested I may have PMDD. I was referred to see an OBGYN who suggest I'd take Junel Fe 1/20. I was horrified to start any sort of birth control because of my experience I had on the patch several years ago. I was given instruction to take it everyday, skip the placebo pills (which start your period), and start the next pack. So ultimately there are no breaks between the packs, I consistently take the pill everyday! Pretty much, my OBGYN wants me to have no cycle so I can stop having the extreme mood swings right before I would have my cycle. I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 26, 2020

“Don’t let the reviews scare you too much! I read through these before starting junel and I was TERRIFIED. However, I’ve been taking it for a few months and so far it’s been pretty good! I am a little bit more emotional, but other than that everything is basically normal. I was also super nervous that my stomach would hurt all the time and I’d gain weight, but I actually lost weight and I feel fine!!”

Kate May 8, 2019

“I started taking Junel because I was on Lo LoEstrin and had horrible anxiety, mood swings & was miserable but I took it for 5 years because it was the only birth control that didn’t make me super sick! I got on here to read the reviews & was horrified and almost didn’t take it. IM SO GLAD I DECIDED TO TAKE IT ANYWAYS. I’m 22 y/o 5’5” about 110-115 pounds when I’m not on birth control. Now I’ve been on it for almost 2 months and have not gained any weight, my boobs may have gotten like half a size better. I’m 113lb in the morning & 115lb at night. On Lo Loestrin I was a constant 120lb. My crazy moods are better. I don’t have acne like everyone says in there reviews (I take biotin every night and have for months because my acne is pretty bad). I’m not a heavy bleeder and this pill has worked great for me. I am literally the most sensitive person to anything hormonal so if it can work for me, don’t be afraid to try it because of bad reviews!”

Liz August 8, 2019

“I am 19 years old and have been on Junel 1/20 since I was 16 years old due to really heavy periods where I was bleeding through super tampons in 30 minutes. I thought I would share my experience since there seem to be a ton of bad reviews and wanted to shed some light. No side effects! Weight gain was zero. It has made my boobs bigger. Sex drive actually increased. no acne. I take the pill continuously due to my horrible periods and I never get a period unexpectedly. This is also a very low dose birth control that I was put on because high dose pills make me throw up so if you have that issue I suggest this medication! I highly suggest you give it a shot! I was so worried when I started it due to all the negative reviews but everyone is different and it doesn’t hurt to try because you can’t always change :)”

Bekah February 1, 2019

“So, I would first like to say that I have never done a review on anything before. But, after reading so many horrible reviews on this pill, I thought maybe I could help women out there make a choice about this birth control. For starters, I am a woman who’s anxiety has anxiety no lie lol! So, when I read these reviews before taking the pill I legit thought I was either 1) going to lose my mind, 2) have no sex drive 3) gain tons of weight. And that was scary in itself. But, I have always suffered from irregular periods and I had to get them under control. I am into my second month on this pill and I absolutely love it! No mood swings (other than the normal week before period) no depression, no extra anxiety, no weight gain and my periods were WAY lighter and barely any cramping and lasted 4 days instead of 7. The first 4 days of taking the pill I did feel a little extra tired and a little off. But, after that it’s been perfectly fine! Highly recommend!!”

xoxonyc · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 15, 2021

“I have been on this birth control for nearly 7 years. I never experienced weight gain or extra anxiety & my periods are now very predictable and only last 2 days (though they weren’t very heavy or long lasting in the first place). It has been very long since I started taking them so it’s hard to compare what I was like without them, but I do have vaginal dryness and a low sex drive which I believe is because of the pill.”

R · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 20, 2021

“Reading the reviews on Junel 1/20 before I started did put some anxiety into me but personally speaking I’m having a pretty good experience with it. For the first 3 months I did experience some breakthrough bleeding but this was expected as my body was adjusting to the hormones and after that everything has been great. My periods are lighter and shorter, I didn’t go through mood swings, no weight gain, no vaginal dryness, no acne and (I’m not as active anymore) but no pregnancy as well. So pretty much whatever negative side effects there could have been, I thankfully didn’t get any.”

andi · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 30, 2019

“I’m so surprised by these negative reviews. I’ve been on Junel Fe 1/20mg for over 2 and a half years, I never once had a single side effect - other than my skin becoming perfect :) Everyone reacts differently to medication, but don’t let these bad reviews scare you. It’s been wonderful for me.”

Sha February 16, 2021

“No negatives for me, light controlled periods. I felt like myself unlike other birth controls I’ve tried. In the beginning I did feel nausea from taking them but that went away after a few weeks. Other than that it’s been great!”

Leah · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 1, 2019

“I have been taking Junel for a little over four years now. This birth control, I didn’t gain any weight but it did make my boobs a size bigger. My acne is minimal (but I am also prescribed other acne face washes and stuff to keep my skin clear). My periods are to a T every month, periods are light, & I haven’t had cramps since before I started. I have had absolutely no complaints until this past year. Now My sex drive is completely gone and its nearly impossible for me to reach orgasm. The only thing I can think of is my birth control doing this. Other than that I think this pill is awesome, but the lack of sex drive is super concerning for me since I do have a long term boyfriend and its just not there anymore.”

Lala October 1, 2020

“My experience with Junel Fe 1/20 has been ok just been spotting on pill days and not having a period or should I say break through bleeding on placebo week. I'm not sure if that is normal and I been taking it for a month and one week I been very hot and emotional, hungry and major fatigue.”

Morgan · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 24, 2020

“I started using this Junel 1/20 a couple months after having my first baby. At first it made me pretty nauseous the first couple of months. I’ve been on it about 5 months now and my periods are regular and shorter and lighter. I rarely get cramps anymore either. For a while there I would have some anxiousness randomly. Not sure if it was the pill or just from being a new mama. It seems to have calm down now. My skin has also been very clear as well. Hoping this works out for me.”

Anonymous January 16, 2021

“I started on this Junel 1/20 birth control about 6 months ago and thought that it was great. I initially felt pretty good, no depression, it cleared up my skin, and I didn’t gain any insane amount of weight. I’ve gained maybe 5 pounds at worst. The first 2 months my periods were lighter and starting to get more regular. The next month I didn’t get my period. The following month I got it. Then last month I just got a brown spotting discharge. We use condoms and are very safe to pull out but the not so regular periods make my anxiety sky rocket. Which brought me to realize just how much this medication has increased my anxiety. I get anxious and my heart rate goes up about silly things like driving, eating, sleeping, and being home alone. Also Junel 1/20 has recently made me boobs grow a little bit. Overall it works pretty good for me. The only thing I worry about is my irregular periods and the anxiety I get. I hope in the future my periods get regular or I might switch to a different pill.”

Melania May 14, 2020

“I just started my third month of Junel Fe 1/20. The first month I was very nauseous, especially at night, even though my doctor told me to take it at night to avoid nausea. I still experience the nausea, but not as often as I did the first month and I avoid eating gooey, creamy things in the evening around the time I take my pill, which I notice does help a lot. However, if it’s really bothering me, a dose of pepto bismol usually does the trick. I feel that my skin is breaking out more often than normal.. not badly, but I definitely notice it. Usually I only get 1 or two small pimples around my period but now I get 4 each month, especially around my chin. My periods are definitely lighter and only last about 4-5 days but I’m still experiencing cramping. I didn’t notice any mood swings or weight gain.. I actually feel sexier these past couple of weeks. Sex drive is the same, energy levels are the same.”

Audrey May 6, 2018

“First and foremost, most of the reviews that are negative are due to the fact that women aren’t patient enough to bare the immediate side effects. You need to wait 3 months before you decide to switch or stay on the birth control. I’ve tried several different birth controls and this one has worked the BEST! However, the first month you’ll be hungry, constantly. Try to drink tea or have smaller meals throughout the day to avoid weight gain. I really really love this medication. I feel back to myself, I gained probably 2-3 pounds the first few weeks actually but it’s been 2 months and now I can control my appetite. I recently got my period and didn’t experience ANY PMS. Just the first day I got my period I was moody. Little to no bleeding, still got minor cramps but not bad enough to take Midol. Overall, try this medication. But stay on it. If you really don’t like it after 3 months then you can switch.”

Laur · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 20, 2019

“After years of an IUD I was on Lutera (levonorgestrel 0.100 mg and ethinyl estradiol 0.020 mg) as my first oral birth control pill. I basically went nuts. My hormones and emotions were of of whack and I desperately needed something new. Moved onto Junel 1/20 (norethindrone acetate 1 mg and ethinyl estradiol 0.020 mg) which has norethindrone as the progestin instead of levonorgestrel. Junel 1/20 is the best! It’s been 3/4 months now : - no weight gain - mood stability -lightest period ever - small spotting - I feel happy and content - basically doesn’t feel like I’m on any birth control - best change I’ve ever made”

hello June 8, 2020

“This will be my 3rd year on this birth control Junel 1/20 & it has worked well for me so far. I was prescribed this my freshman year of college & I am now a senior. It did an amazing job of regulating my period & making them super light & short. As of this year, I’ve noticed that nothing with my periods has been consistent. In January & February my period was heavy & lasted a full week - this never happened before. In March, I completely missed my period - also has never happened before. In April & May my period came as normal but this month my boobs have been very sore & tender for weeks. I am not pregnant (got my period + negative tests), I am starting to wonder if the pill is causing all of these changes. My hormones have never been this bad & I am starting to get so much anxiety recently. Hoping to talk to my doctor to see what’s up. Overall, this really did work for me when I was younger. In my 20’s now and wondering if it’s time to switch it up & get a new medication.”

Val S. January 12, 2021

“Please proceed with caution if your doctor recommends this drug. I did not have a good experience. I do think that my issues might have occurred with any low-estrogen BC pill, but I really wish I hadn't tried it. I only took Junel for about 3 months before I decided it wasn't worth it anymore. About 2 weeks after starting the pill, I got a UTI. From that day on, I was on a roller coaster of back to back UTIs, BV, and yeast. UTI, BV, yeast. I've spent hundreds of dollars on medication and doctor's appointments to fix these issues, and my body still isn't right. PLEASE don't take this pill without considering the potential effects on the bladder, urinary tract, and vaginal tissue. I had no mood changes, no weight gain, and no loss of sex drive, but these were minor pros compared to the cons. I was also having two periods/month - one heavy one in the middle of the active pills, and one during the placebo week (withdrawal bleeding, I'm guessing). Please be careful!”

Anna · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 3, 2020

“It took about 3 months for my period to regulate while on Junel. Since then, I get my periods very regularly and they only last 4-5 days. I have one heavy bleeding day, and the other days are pretty light. I would only get acne around the time of my period, but now my skin is completely clear and I have not had any acne for the past 5 months. I had some initial weight gain when I started taking Junel, but it was minimal and I was able to lose it a few months later. Other than the weight gain, I have not had any negative side effects.”

Jen August 21, 2020

“I switched to Junel 1/20 after being on another pill for years. Everyone convinced me to switch, as I was tired and a bit moody on my other pill. However stitching to Junel has been a huge regret. I couldn’t last longer than 3 months on it. When I first started, I threw up several mornings and felt so sick. My skin (jaw/chin) broke out terribly, and I’ve NEVER broken out on my chin before. My periods were heavy and cramps were unbelievably painful. I was constantly crying and my rage was out of control. I have a short temper, but I have never seen myself turn into such a raging angry person over the tiniest things than I did on this pill. My anxiety was awful, my nipples were in so much pain and super sensitive (this got better after the first month or so). Always groggy and tired. Hair loss. Can’t really think of one positive of this pill. Everyone’s different, and I’ve had several friends who love this pill. But I gave it 3 months and couldn’t handle any more of it.”

Col September 19, 2018

“I’ve only been taking this pill for about a month but so far I am very happy with the results. I was very nervous to start Junel based off the other reviews but I’ve have a fairly positive experience. Before taking Junel I would get terrible cramps (that would cause me to cancel plans/ responsibilities) and extremely heavy periods. I now only have very minor if any cramping at all during my period and a significantly lighter flow. The only semi problem I’ve experienced is a little acne but I’m sure this is just because my body is normalizing to the hormones and hope this begins to go away. I hope this helps and reduces some of your nerves about this pill :)”

Thill23 · Taken for less than 1 month December 25, 2019

“I have been taking my Junel 1/20 for almost a month now, I just have my placebo pills left for next week. I haven’t noticed any bloating or weight gain. However I have noticed a little more acne, temper is a little worse, and it sometimes makes me nausea. The biggest issue I am having is becoming very dizzy at times, mostly at night when I lay down for bed. I was wondering if anyone else is having the same issue or if I might be getting dizzy for other health reasons. Thanks!”

Anonymous March 23, 2020

“Hello. I’ve been on Junel 1/20 for about 10 months now. It has been wonderful, besides the fact that my period won’t regulate. Before starting this pill I had a period every month around the same time and now I get it every other month only lasting about 4 days. On the months I don’t get it I spot for about 2 days. I’ve taken pregnancy tests even though I use this pill religiously as well as condoms and the results are negative. I don’t know if I should switch to another because being sexually active it’s very reassuring getting a period every month knowing you’re not pregnant.”

lrm · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 18, 2020

“I've been taking Junel 1/20 for 2 years now. Thought I loved it, but recently I ran out so I haven't taken it for about a week and I've noticed something I didn't even realize was missing.... MY SEX DRIVE! since I stopped taking it I want to jump my boyfriend like crazy and I hadn't even noticed its been months since we were last intimate. It didn't really clear up my acne like previous birth controls have. Weird thing is my chin got really dry? And I didn't think it was due to the birth control but coincidentally its not as dry since I haven't been taking Junel and its fall. My mood has been so stable and good!!!! I'm so emotional and irrational not on birth control and I have noticed I've been able to let things go! And it has been great. Such a great feeling! I'm so easy going. For me not having a period is a huge!! Bonus. Idk if I want to go back on it or not.”

jiqi99 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 5, 2018

“I switched to Junel 1/20 recently from taking Tri Sprintec. And personally I enjoy Junel 1/20 so much more. The only side effects I get is having a headache, feeling drowsy after 1 hour of taking it, loss of appetite and a little mood swings. Yea, these are side effects that many may be frighten of, but honestly, it's so much better then my side effects from taking Tri Sprintec. When I took Tri Sprintec, my side effects were depression, weight gain, breast growth, cramps, constantly in a bad mood.”

Unhappy Teen · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 26, 2019

“I originally started this pill May of last year. I was on it for 2.5 months and those first 2.5 months were awful. I’m normally a very confident and optimistic person, but those first two months I had terrible anxiety, panic attacks, horrible mood swings which caused a breakup with my (then) boyfriend of a year, and irregular periods. I stopped and started taking them again around March or April of this year. Ever since then, my period is almost nonexistent as I rarely ever get one, forcing me to buy a lot of pregnancy tests out of fear (all came back negative), I have terrible acne and some sort of dermatitis around my nose that began appearing after a month or two of taking, water weight (gain/lose 4 pounds) that fluctuates, and a decreased Libido, which is a lot coming from a hormonal teen. I’m regular with taking my pill, occasionally being late by an hour, but usually am late (when it does happen) by 20 min or so. I’m switching”