User Reviews for Quasense

Quasense has an average rating of 5.4 out of 10 from a total of 53 ratings on Drugs.com. 36% of those users who reviewed Quasense reported a positive effect, while 34% reported a negative effect.

Birth Control
Ovarian Cysts  Off-label
Summary of Quasense reviews 5.4 53 reviews

Reviews for Quasense

Zerg September 15, 2019

For Birth Control: “Only reason I changed pill brands was due to the fact that I moved and my new pharmacy didn't carry it. I will say I had emotional problems and weight gain but I attribute that to other life events and not the pill. I requested extended cycle birth control because after extensive research I found there is no use for a period on birth control every month. It did it's job. I didn't get pregnant and that was even with me taking a medication that can interfere with birth control. (Not advising that, I had no idea it would interfere until a month later). I did spot for awhile but nothing terrible. The worst side effect I will say was when I did have a period I had some of the worst cramps I have ever had in my life. Then again, I am on other medications (some new at the time) that could have made it worse. But, never the less my cramps were the worst they had ever been, but the bleeding wasn't bad at all. I would recommend this to anybody who hates bleeding EVERY SINGLE MONTH.”

Rose June 17, 2019

For Birth Control: “This medicine was got a 4 because it did protect me from pregnancy and I had little acne while on it. But since I got on it, my sex drive has gone down and then I started having very painful sex! If you are having painful sex and your doctor just keeps saying use more lube then listen to the podcast Bodies about sex hurting what she described matched what I have experienced and it ended up being the birth control that caused her to have painful sex. This BC also caused chronic fatigue for me and I gained 20 lbs. I was on it for 1 1/2 years and sex kept getting more painful for me to the point I had to stop in the middle of it and it would burn when I used the bathroom afterward. This was not caused by STDs or any other infection my gynecologists just kept saying use more lube but that never worked. If you are looking for a BC to stop acne and periods then this is for you, but I wouldn’t recommend it for ppl who want to enjoy sex.”

Bbkido January 29, 2019

For Birth Control: “Pros: LOVE not having a period but every 3 months. Have tried several other birth control pills and all of them I had spotting at one point or another. Never had that with this pill, I always take it at around the same time every night and haven't missed a dose in I can't remember when, that might be part of it. Also my period only lasts 4-5 days vs the 10-16 (yes 16 days) I have experienced on other birth controls and before I was on birth control. Does it's job, no pregnancy scares. Cons: I notice my skin is a tad oiler than usual. My back is particularly prone to breakouts. Periods aren't really less painful, I seem to actually cramp worse but then again that might be because I'm so used to not having a period anymore so maybe when I do get them I'm just not "used to" the pain I used to experience on a regular and constant basis. Does seem a bit harder to lose weight, but I think that comes with just about any birth control on the market.”

Yvo · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 27, 2015

For Birth Control: “I've used this for 2 years and have had no problems whatsoever. I previously had an arm implant and experienced spotting and weight gain that wouldn't stop. After taking Quasense I've lost weight, no spotting, light & short periods. I use retin a for acne so my skin has been unaffected. I'm not sure about water retention because I believe that has a lot to do with diet and I'm athletic so I stay hydrated on a daily basis. I experienced no nausea, headaches, psychological side effects. And most importantly, no pregnancy.”

Anonymous September 19, 2009

For Birth Control: “I have taken various pills for the past 20 years, I am 38. Quasense allows just 4 periods a year, which is a great thing. The periods I do get are normal length (for a pill-user, about 4 days) and slightly heavier than those I got with the regular monthly pills. I have slightly more cramping in the day before it starts than I did with the monthly pills (but still NOTHING like the agony of no pill-cramps which were a nightmare). Overall I love not having to deal with messy bleeding more than four times a year, and the slight increase in cramping for one day is more than worth it to me. Hope this helps!”

d59696 August 20, 2011

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I went to pick up my Jolessa refill (I loved) and they gave me Quasense. Had spotting/bleeding all summer - 2 months, serious weight gain, terrible cramps, and no libido. With 30 days left in the pack - I could no longer bear the symptoms and stopped 3 days ago. It's nice to have my life back! Bleeding stopped, bloating diminished and desired intimacy with my husband again. This was really a terrible experience. Lesson - stop sooner if not working, don't change your medicine.”

Luvable21 February 8, 2008

For Birth Control: “I was 18. I started with the brand name Seasonale for 6 months. Then I took Quasense for 1.5 yrs until I realized that playing with nature to get four periods per year was a big mistake. I slowly gained 10 lbs over the 2-yr period. When that "time of the month" approaches, I became very moody. When that supposed date of my period arrives, I became a total disaster. I was depressed, I hated everything and everyone evolving the world... No sex drive at 19!!!!”

Isha2398475 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 3, 2012

For Endometriosis: “I know I'm still on my first pack, and onto week 9, but I've been nauseous, bloated, very moody, and depressed for most of this time. And honestly that would be bearable but 20 days of moderate to heavy bleeding with full on cramps that make me want to curl into a ball and cry has pretty much made me homicidal and I now hate all men. I wish I were exaggerating and if it wasn't for my fertility hanging on the line for me giving this an honest shot, I would've stopped after day seven.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 27, 2014

For Birth Control: “I've been on probably at least 20 different forms of birth control for one reason or another, usually due to painful cramps and heavy flow. I've noticed in the almost 2 years of taking it, my period is down to 2 days that I get 4 times a year. I get severely depressed for one day, the day I go off of them to get my period, and my cramps are not as bad as they usually were. They are now about a 6 on a 1-10 scale when they had been a 12 in the past. Overall, pretty pleased with it. I have gained about 10 lbs over 2 years but like most women have said, it's water retention. I have a very healthy libido and haven't had any spotting.”

Belle38309 October 28, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I've been on Quasense for 7 weeks and 5 days and as of today I have been bleeding for 7 WEEKS STRAIGHT! I started my "period" 3 days after taking my first pill and I haven't stopped bleeding since. The first 3-4 weeks were constant heavy bleeding and then it begin to taper off(actually giving me hope). Weeks 4-6 were pretty light, brown blood here and there(but still consistent daily) throughout the day and I was even more hopeful. Week 6 the bleeding began to become heavy again.....Now here it is week 7 and I'm bleeding like I would be on my normal period! I'm OVER IT! This is STUPID!”

dipsets January 6, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I was prescribed this medication to slow down the rate of growth for my large fibriods and to reduce cramping. Here is how it has been thus far. Weeks 1-3: Very normal. no bleeding, no mood swings, no weight gain etc. Weeks 4-5: very small old blood spotting. One panty liner a day is all I needed. Weeks 6: mix of old blood and fresh blood. no cramps. Weeks 7-8: Heavy flow with very intense cramps. This is where I am currently at and I am not sure if I want to continue this medication. My cramps are more intense than when I was not on the medication. Not to mention, I've been bleeding fresh blood for three weeks straight. I want to stick it out in order to give a full analysis of this medication, but I am not sure it is worth it.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 9, 2012

For Birth Control: “I've been on this pill for 3 years now. I had been taking Seasonique, but had some weight gain and mood swings so my doctor recommended Quasense. I experienced some light spotting after the first month, but nothing more. No acne, no depression, and no real weight gain. I've noticed that I retain water more than ever before, but I cut back on the sodium and increased my water intake, which is a good thing to do anyway.”

sparkle09 March 20, 2014

For Birth Control: “I have been on this for 6 months and only have one issue with it. I gained 10 pounds after being on it for 1-2 months, but have been able to get that 10 down to 5. But no matter how healthy I eat or how much I exercise, I cannot lose that extra 5. Other than that, I have had no issues. It has not affected my mood or sex drive, and I haven't had any headaches or anything like others have mentioned. It actually cleared up acne on my chin so I have a clear face now that the dermatologist couldn't even clear up because chin acne is usually all hormonal. From what I've heard, if you had an abnormal (whether it be painful or irregular) period before trying this, you should NOT take it or it will affect you. I had a very regular period before.”

ehchum · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 26, 2016

For Birth Control: “Absolutely terrible. I never had chest or back acne, now I'm covered. I had excess discharge and bled every day (not enough for period but more than spotting). I ended up with weird bumps all over my arms. My breasts swelled up and had sharp, shooting pains. After losing 20 pounds 3 years ago, I've gained 15 of it back in 2.5 months without any change in diet. My depression has been higher than it has been in a long time. I have no sex drive; how can I when I'm bleeding every day at unpredictable times? I wish I would've read these reviews before taking this medication. Do NOT take Quasense.”

JMNYC · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 25, 2013

For Birth Control: “My doctor suggested this since it is a 91 day cycle which would help with other health issues. I've been spotting for months now and have had frequent nausea and cramps. I'm changing to Ovcon 35 and hoping that will be better.”

My blanket · Taken for less than 1 month August 7, 2014

For Endometriosis: “Currently almost the 3rd week in the first month, I noticed immediately the change, I started the pill the first Sunday after the first day of my period, it killed my period dead in its tracks, stopped all heavy bleeding, I don't feel any more cysts or deadly sharp pains. This product works as far as getting rid of the period, but the side effects are bad. I feel bipolar. I'll be so angry with life, then I'll get depressed, then I'll be lethargic for days. It's only been 3 weeks and I KNOW I have to let my body get used to these new pills, but it's hard mentally. I'm rarely happy. No sex drive. No energy. I am starting to get some of the sharp pains back, as well as throwing up after every time I eat and constantly dizzy.”

Anonymous November 3, 2011

For Birth Control: “Originally I was on this pill but then later given samples of Seasonique. That was the worst mistake ever! I was on Seasonique for 9 months and had breakthrough bleeding for 8.5 months! I switched back to Quasense and ever since then I haven't had a single problem. Awesome pill!”

Sileny September 19, 2011

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I switched to this primarily due to the appeal of having only 4 periods a year and stayed on it for 3 years. Generally it was uneventful: I didn't gain weight, it had no effect (positive or negative) on my acne, my breasts stayed the same size. However, it destroyed my libido. It was so gone I thought I was asexual. It wasn't until I couldn't get my script refilled (I couldn't get an appointment that mixed in with my work schedule), so I had to get off the pill, which then led me to find out that I am not asexual and, in fact, had a libido. Another down point was the spotting I got in between periods and the effects of the period seem to have been compounded (i.e. compared to pills for monthly periods). I was sore, tired, and irritable.”

beachgirlstarfish March 22, 2016

For Birth Control: “I was put on Quasense to help with abnormal vaginal bleeding. I was on it for less than 2 months when I suffered a near fatal pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lungs). I am young and healthy and a non smoker... it was caused by the estrogen in the pill. Please know that although birth control is wonderful and it is commonly prescribed, it DOES come with risks. You never think it will happen to you. I am using my very scary and traumatic experience to raise awareness. If you have any symptoms of a blood clot seek emergency medical assistance immediately: Chest pain Shortness of breath Cough Anxiety Fainting Rapid heart beat Swelling or warmth in your leg or arm 900000 people will have one this year. Stoptheclot.org”

Benny button February 6, 2016

For Birth Control: “So I have been on the birth control for a month. The first 4 days I was so insanely nauseous. It would just hit at random times and be horrible. I've been having my period the entire time I've been taking it but just like a pantie liner a day is what I use. I haven't lost any sex drive. If anything it's increased! The medication overall seems great in writing but I have one concerning thing.. I'm having CRAZY mood swings. I cried the past couple nights for no reason at all and I just get super sad randomly. Or I'll just be super happy and then the next moment sad. I feel like I'm becoming depressed. But I'm just going to wait it out and hope it gets better.”

yaknowme · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 25, 2016

For Birth Control: “I've been on Quasense for about a year and a half and I love it! I had breakthrough bleeding during my first pack (the first 3 months) but have not had bleeding since. My body just needed to get used to the change in hormones and not having my period every month. I did gain a little weight but that could be unrelated. Big Fan!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 10, 2013

For Birth Control: “I only had issues with acne and a few headaches. With the headache I would just take asprin and it went away. I would washed my face 3x a day and I still couldn't keep the break outs under control. So I am switching back to my old pills after being on these for 90 days. I had no spotting, no mood swings or any other side effects. I am 31, eat healthy, work out 4 times a week and the pills were free to me per my insurance so that's why I tried them. Hope this info helps you decide if this pill is right for you. I would still use them but at 31 acne is not a good look for me.”

Chgdhsjkakaka January 7, 2017

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I have been taking this medicine for almost 3 months now and during this last month of the pills I have been spotting/light bleeding for a month. I took other pills before and it did not happen. I will be stopping this when I am done with this pack.”

Nicolef96 · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 31, 2016

For Birth Control: “I took quasense for about 3 years and the first two years I loved it. I have tried at least 4 birth controls (oral contraceptive form) and this one was the first to finally work for me. However, within the past year I have had some awful things happening to me and my obgyn thinks it is due to the estrogen in the pill. I had a weight gain of 7 pounds within a week & a half. During this time I was exercising & barely eating to try and get back down to my normal weight. However I only continued to gain weight. I have had so much hair loss this year & now have 4 distinct bald spots. Crazy mood swings, I've had my period for 2 months straight now, & I'm extremely tired. Today I had the IUD "skyla" inserted so I hope everything improves soon :(”

olive0191 · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 7, 2018

For Birth Control: “As far as birth control pills go, Quasense is the best in my opinion. I tried a variety of other pills that my body reacted poorly to. My insurance covers this pill 100% so I pay $0 when I go in to get my refills. I had spotting for the first 6 months while on this pill and nausea for the first month. It is amazing to only have 4 periods a year. My periods got much lighter and I have little to no cramping or other symptoms. I can also decide when to have my period (if I even want one at all). The only reason I am giving this a 9/10 is because this pill does give me acne. I had very little acne in high school and I started this pill my senior year, 5 years later I am still experiencing acne from this pill, but its very mild. It is annoying to take a pill everyday, but I do not like the idea of irregular bleeding with the implant and the pain associated with IUD insertion. This pill is a gift.”

Justcuriousddt February 21, 2016

For Birth Control: “I've been on this pill for about 3 years and recently started experiencing some spotting in between periods, even sometimes during sexual activity. I went to the doctor and she said this is normal and my body could now be rejecting it. She had me stop taking Quasense and put me on a one month pill. I eventually switched back to Quasense two months later and haven't had any more issues until recently. This month, my period was 1-2 days but I've been cramping like crazy and not bleeding. That's why I'm here on this thread reading about others experiences. Hope this helps”

Anonymous April 1, 2011

“I'm on my first cycle. I usually do not have problems with acne but with Quasense, have at least one pimple all the time. When one clears, another one shows up. I'm currently in the week with inactive pills and have noticed no new pimples this week. Also, the first month and a half was okay, but then started spotting everyday that lasted until my period came during the inactive pills, so continuous spotting for 6 weeks. Will try Trinessa next. ”

Stay far away. · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 12, 2018

For Birth Control: “This pill works for not getting pregnant and that only. I was on it for about 5 years for heavy and painful periods. Within this time, I had gained almost 60 pounds. I was constantly tired, grumpy, NO sex drive and NO energy. My liver enzymes were constantly HIGH to an alarming rate and the doctors could never tell me why. I lost a ton of hair at my temples from this medication and I never knew it was the pill until I quit randomly 5 months ago. I have NEVER felt better being off of quasense. My energy came back, I have been able to drop 40 lbs in 6 months and liver enzymes miraclously are back to NORMAL RANGE. The negative of quitting the pill. I now have lost 40% of my hair from stopping the hormones cold turkey. My body was at mercy of this pill. Do not take this.”