User Reviews for Portia

Birth Control
4.9

Summary of Portia reviews 5.0 126 reviews

Reviews for Portia

For Birth Control "Don't ever try Portia!!!!! I was on Levora for years no issues. Then I got switched to Portia. I have had issues psychologically, anxiety, some depression, feelings of adrenaline, issues with my eye sight, mood swings... Terrible drug. I stopped taking it today. I was being told I had issues from stress and anxiety, met with my doctor multiple times and no one ever informed me of these adverse effects of Portia. Had I been told these effects, I never would have taken it."

LawSchoolStudent (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2019

For Birth Control "This is the worst birth control. I was taking Levora before this and they switched me to Portia. Since taking this pill I have noticed a change in my moods making extra irritable. The major concern was the yeast infections. Before taking Portia I never had a yeast infection. Since taking Portia I get one at least every two months. This is has been the worst experience ever. Never had problems feeling nauseous in the morning or throughout the day and with this one I do. Thankfully I just switched ."

G (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 19, 2019

For Birth Control "Levora was my first form of birth control and after being on it for two years without any problems I got switched to Portia because my new insurance didn't cover Levora. In the span of 8 months I gained 40lbs, nothing in my diet had changed and my physical activity was high. It did help with my migraines but it wasn't worth the weight gain I was going through. Weight gain was the only negative side effect I had but I recently decided I was just going to pay for Levora and have gone down 20lbs since starting it up once again. I definitely do not recommend using Portia."

Ari (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 11, 2019

For Birth Control "They switched me to Portia because of apparent manufacturing problems with my usual birth control Levora. It it does the job for protecting against pregnancy, however this has given me bad mood swings, I feel slightly over weight and my anxiety just gets BAD. It’s said that Levora is the same but my body says the opposite , I’m going to consult with my doctor for a different brand"

Anonymous April 6, 2019

For Birth Control "Ever since I started taking Portia my period has been lighter. No cramps anymore. The only thing I’ve noticed is my boobs have gotten sensitive and I’ve been getting acne. But this pill does the job !"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 28, 2019

For Birth Control "As a 45 year old who’s had terrible menstrual cramps since I started my period, this pill has been a life saver! I’ve been on Portia for one month and already my period is way less painful. In a few months I will start taking this continually to stop having periods. I can’t wait! No side effects for me, so far it’s been great. This was the BC recommended by my doctor to take continually (no placebos) to stop my periods. I didn’t want an IUD after my friend had one misplaced, got pregnant and lost the baby."

RNA March 25, 2019

For Birth Control "In terms of doing its job of not getting pregnant, Portia does very well and I did not experience heavy periods or extreme cramping while I was on it for 4 months. Just like many others I was not notified when my pharmacy changed me from Levora to Portia. I feel so dumb for not connecting the dots that this BC could be the cause of my emotional distress (started happening around the time I started Portia) which was bouts of depression, MAJOR mood swings and very short to anger, and breast tenderness. My breasts were so sensitive I took out my nipple piercings I had for over a year. After consulting my doctor I was able to switch back to Levora and everything has been much more normal since! Ask your doctor to go back to Levora if it works for you ladies!!"

Melon (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 19, 2019

For Birth Control "If I could give a -1 rating I would. My pharmacy switched me to Portia in July (WITHOUT CONSULTING ME FIRST) so I have been on it for 7 months and let me tell you, I have not been myself ever since. I was on Levora before and with Levora life was simple, now it's hell. My boobs are always sore, I have frequent acne, I am a always annoyed and angry, I cry more often, and worst of all I have no sex drive. This pill is horrible. Never again."

Andy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 2, 2019

For Birth Control "This pill is awful! I was switched from levora. I have been dealing with a ton of depression and anxiety, increased blood sugar, and 10lb weight gain within the first 2 months. Will be switching ASAP!"

A February 19, 2019

For Birth Control "I was switched to Portia after Levora was discontinued. TLDR: It was not a cute look. I experienced wild physical side effects that I had not experienced with Levora. 1) My skin broke out into more acne than it has in years, and my cheeks were constantly red. 2) I started Portia the same time I got back into my old cardio routine and clean diet that typically maintains my weight. THIS BIRTH CONTROL MADE ME GAIN 20 POUNDS in a month. And I'm 23, so it's not because my metabolism is slowing down. 3) I'm bloated ALL the time, and hate how this medication gives me a perpetual food baby. 4) I'm constantly nauseous. 5) But I'm also constantly hungry. Now for the psychological symptoms: 6) I got depressed so easily and intensely, in a way that I had never been before, and ended up being sent to the psychiatric ward for the first time."

GradStudentGal (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 23, 2019

For Birth Control "This product should be band! Everything that can go wrong, will go wrong! Painful abdominal cramping all day everyday, breast tenderness and heavy pain in breasts, dramatic mood swings, intense depression, cramping during sex, yeast infections, dry skin and scalp itch, numbness in arms and legs, Heart palpitations. It taking STOP IMMEDIATELY and talk to your doctor. I was put on this without my consent!"

Rosie January 7, 2019

For Birth Control "Please beware do not take this like everyone here has said. Levora was discontinued and was given Portia. I’ve been taking it and has recently affected my daily life. They should really take this off the market permanently! It has made me depressed and bi polar. I don’t want to do anything for myself or my family. I get massive headaches and I’ve gained so much weight it sucks. I'm going to get off of it permanently I hate it so much .. please stay away from this birth control !"

Ihatefeelinglikethis (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2018

For Birth Control "I feel absolutely terrible I have painful breast pains/tenderness,pelvic pain ,I've been super anxious and depressed, the nausea is my worst effect. I could eat normal and still feel nauseous I wake up and feel nauseous. I recently spotted for the first time and it sucked and I've never had such a terrible period. For my first month it caused heavy bleeding and painful cramps. It also hasn't effected my sex drive but the discharge is horrible I'm always wet. Also recently as of these past two weeks I've been diagnosed with a yeast infection and vaginitis and yesterday I went to urgent care and they did x-rays to find out the pills hormones have been causing me to be constipated - making my stomach growl after literally anything I eat. I get gas/bloating so everything has been building up inside me causing the pelvic pain on my left side. Now the only good effects are I've been losing weight and my acne got somewhat better. I hope to switch brands soon. I hope this information helps someone."

Nekoneko (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 18, 2018

For Birth Control "Like many others I was switched to Portia after Levora (which I loved!) was discontinued. Have to begin by saying I was skeptical of the whole gaining weight or having mood swings while on birth control stories but man did this pill mess with me. Giving it 3 stars bc it shortened & decreased my pain during menstruation immensely but it wasn’t worth the massive mood swings (namely unwarranted irritation & then extreme depression)— that just came out of nowhere about two months into taking this pill. My appetite also majorly increased & was much insatiable which was kind of a bummer. I think I gave Portia a fair shot but after about 4-5 months I’m switching to a diff pill—I understand everybody is different so this may work for some but definitely not for me."

Lex (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2018

For Birth Control "I had been on Levora for about ten years when my pharmacy switched to Portia. I was told it was the same thing (generic version) but my experience says otherwise. I took it for about two weeks when I started noticing I was VERY gloomy/sad/easily triggered. I wasn’t as resilient as I normally am. I also started bleeding during sex and was so disturbed my it I almost fainted (I never bleed during sex and basically got my period out of the blue). I would NOT advise anyone to take Portia - the gloominess/hopelessness feeling I got from taking it is enough to make me quit oral birth control altogether. I’m really struggling to find a solution."

Au (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2018

For Birth Control "Was using Levora and Chateal before Portia. Portia has caused random weight gain, swelling in my arms and legs, abdomen area. I eat healthy and exercise regularly so I know that this was my only change. It has given me so much acne that I have never had before, depression, excruciating headaches that are crippling. It’s terrible. I have used Allese, Chateal, Levora and haven’t had any issues until PORTIA! Portia is the worst. I stopped it after a month and a half because of the crazy side effects and I am not willing to put myself through the worst I’ve ever felt again. Seek other birth control."

NC (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2018

For Birth Control "I have never experienced anything more awful. I was taking levora and I loved it, but then it got discontinued and my insurance switched me to Portia. At first, I took two months of it and felt terrible. My breasts were so tender and hurting all the time, I had chest pains constantly and thought I had heart problems. I was incredibly moody and got sad or upset for no reason pretty often. I took a month break from it, but then felt like I had no choice to get back on since my insurance didn’t cover anything else, and things got worse. I have been getting panic attacks, feeling depressed and even suicidal, not acting like myself, shutting everyone out and I finally realized that this drastic change is because of my birth control. It’s messing up my hormones and my mental health and it’s just not worth it. I cry all the time and feel so empty inside and I’ve never experienced this sort of helplessness before. Please don’t take this pill."

Fed up November 3, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on Portia for about 2 years. It worked miracles in the first 7 months for clearly my acne. After taking it for a month my face was basically clear but for whatever reason, my acne came back after a year and a half of using it. My sex drive was nonexistent but I didn't mind it since it cleared my skin. Also in beginning, I got nauseous every time I started a new pack but overtime that disappeared. Some pros are that it helped in getting rid of my cramps and also lightened my period. I'm now trying Yaz for my acne"

C (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 1, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on Portia for about a year. It's not as scary as it may seem- I didn't get any of the acne side effects (thankfully). It didn't influence any mood swings either. The only side effect for me was a teensy little bit of weight gain by my thighs/hips and lower back. Never missed a day and didn't get pregnant! Overall a good experience."

stella (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 30, 2018

For Birth Control "I have had a rather decent experience on Portia. When it comes to my period, it has not improved my flow any, but it has lessened my cramps and the number of days my period is. My period used to last about 7 to 10 days and now my period lasts a maximum of four days. I have also lost weight instead of gaining weight like I expected. I have went from 132 to 120 ever since I started it."

eedavidson (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 27, 2018

For Birth Control "Ordered a refill on my b.c. pills. When I arrived to the pharmacy, I was surprised to see Portia and not my usual Levora. I was told that Portia has replaced levora. Took it for 2 nights and broke out in hives. Also experienced severe stomach pain, like sharp pains. After the 4th night called advice nurse. Saw a doc and thank goodness I am switching back to Levora - worst experience"

Mommybear (taken for less than 1 month) October 26, 2018

For Birth Control "I do not recommend at all!!! I gained 20 pounds in a 1.5 months and had no sex drive. I also had stomach and chest pain and breast tenderness. Switching back to Chateal asap!!"

shar (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2018

For Birth Control "This pill is a NIGHTMARE! this is my first time taking the pill, I only started taking it in the hopes of improving my very painful periods and I regret even trying it. I’ve been on it for 3 weeks now and my life has been totally ruined. I have crazy mood swings, major depression and mad rage! My face started breaking out even tho I’ve never even had issues with acne before. I have gained weight even though I’ve been working out and resisted most of the insanely strong cravings I’ve been getting. My life has gone downhill so I’m gonna stop taking this pill immediately. The sad thing is I have now lost faith in the pill and will just deal with my horrible periods."

Moody (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2018

For Birth Control "I switched to portia after having severe morning anxiety on other types of birth control, I love this pill - definitely would recommend"

mc (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 7, 2018

For Birth Control "I hated Portia. A lot of why I was on it was to combat heavy bleeding, acne, cramps, and bloating. It made me have 10-13 day long periods of which the last 5 days would be so heavy I would use 6-10 Super Plus tampons in the span of a day. I broke out less but still broke out around my period. I had unbearably bad cramps. The only thing it fixed was my bloating and fatigue and partially acne, everything else it made worse. I also began to uncontrollably lose weight and feel faint around my period including constant dizziness."

miawallace (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 6, 2018