User Reviews for Marlissa

Birth Control

Reviews for Marlissa

Julie · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 21, 2021

For Birth Control: “I love Marlissa. All I can say is that it helped me a lot with regulating my periods and also helped clear up my acne all in 3 months. NO , it did not make me gain weight at all. I would definitely give this a 10/10 definitely recommend.”

Icey · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 12, 2021

For Birth Control: “While I completely sympathize with those who had a bad experience with this pill, I have to say my experience was the opposite of all of them. This pill left me with no side effects, it works in protection and the biggest plus for me was that I did not gain any weight on this pill. I like to change things up so currently I’m looking to switch to Lo Loestrin but if it doesn’t work out I am 100% coming back to this pill because of how much I enjoyed my experience. My periods were normal, I’d get a period every month during placebo week. The period would be moderate to light and last 5 days.”

Yasmin February 5, 2021

For Birth Control: “I was on this birth control Marlissa for about 2 years. I got yeast infection every single month exactly one week before my period. I went to my obgyn and he said probably my panties but I know it wasn't. I was sure it was my birth control. I dealt with it for 2 years!! Finally me and my partner decided to have a baby and so I stopped taking this birth control and I have not had any yeast infections since. Now I'm on the mini pill because I'm breastfeeding and till this day I have had zero infections. I'm so relieved it's over!!”

Monique · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 16, 2019

For Birth Control: “I wish I would have read the reviews on this a lot sooner. I have been taking this contraceptive pill Marlissa for about a year now and am not happy with the side effects at all. Sure, the 3 day period and no pregnancies are great but it’s not worth what it does to you physically and mentally. Everyone reacts differently to certain types of medication but this was the absolute worst birth control I have ever been on. Throughout my entire time being on this drug I have gained a tremendous amount of weight (30lbs), have been severely depressed, very moody, anxious all the time, huge increase in appetite, fatigue and wanting to sleep all the time, and it feels like I am constantly bloated every single day. Please, stay away from this one.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month March 24, 2018

For Birth Control: “Had the most awful experience with Marlissa. Took it every day at the same time and the first week was fine. Noticed boobs got larger, but not painful. Second week and I started getting gassy. I'm a very healthy, fit, slim 34 year old female who eats a vegetarian diet. I don't know this problem at all. Third week and the bloating got so severe that I couldn't work out anymore, the pain from the pressure made me scream when I tried to push on the toilet, I became sick to my stomach and threw up several times a day. I missed days at work, couldn't eat anything anymore, even drinking water caused me to throw up. My blood pressure was so low that I had to stay in bed or I would have passed out. Immediately stopped taking it, but symptoms persisted for two more days. Absolutely horrible!”

Justlookingforasong2 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 23, 2019

For Birth Control: “Marlissa is one of the WORST birth controls I have ever been on. I originally started using Altavera at 15, and used it all the way until the summer before my 20th birthday. I would be lying if I said I had any problems with it. However, almost immediately after starting this one, I could. not. stop. eating. It got so bad that I would have to leave my dorm room so I wouldn’t graze in my fridge. Not only did I begin to notice weight gain (obviously), but EXCESSIVE sweating a few days before I began my period. I could easily sweat through 2-3 shirts a day, and the smell was so pungent all of a sudden. It’s been so bad that sometimes I’m waking up in puddles of sweat with wet sheets.. and not the good kind either. Overall, I would not recommend this BC and hope you ladies are stronger than I am and fight for the medication you want, because Lord knows how many times my doctor has told me that the medication I’m taking and the one I was originally on “are the same”.”

Lydia · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 19, 2020

For Birth Control: “I was on Levora but my pharmacy didn't have that so they gave me Marlissa. It should have been exactly the same but I noticed with Marlissa I had mood changes and was in a bad mood constantly. When I switched back to Levora I felt normal again. Everyone reacts to birth control differently. What works for some doesn't work for others. Do not be afraid to switch if it isn't right for you.”

kay · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 18, 2019

For Birth Control: “I’ve been on marlissa for about 5 months. Before that I was on levora, which is the same dosage and all, but I noticed after I stopped taking levora and switched I stopped getting acne! I’d get major pimples every month like clock work and I had no idea it was from levora, but since I switched to marlissa I haven’t had a single pimple over these past few months. The only thing I have noticed is recurring yeast infections. I’m not sure if this is from the pill or maybe just the dosage of all these similar pills as I think I started getting them before I switched. I also had a new partner, so I’m still trying to figure out what’s giving me the yeast infections. I do have pretty bad mood swings around PMS, but once again I can’t say for sure it’s from this pill as I was the same on levora.”

Manda · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 16, 2019

For Birth Control: “I haven’t been feeling myself so I decided to look up reviews of Marlissa. I have migraines from the week before my cycle continuing to throughout my cycle on and off. I’ve become extremely depressed, anxious, emotional and gained weight. I started having vaginal discharge that I’ve never experience before. I usually don’t have acne problems, maybe a pimple before my cycle usually. I’ve been breaking out like crazy and I wasn’t sure why until reading some reviews. I’m stopping this birth control. Even my husband has seen a tremendous change in me. The worst.”

Kiy · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 2, 2020

For Birth Control: “I’ve been on Marlissa for a year now & I used to have really bad cramps to the point where I couldn’t get up & do anything. Every since I started taking Marlissa my period is much lighter & I barely get cramps. I was switched by an accident to another pill with another name & had break through bleeding, all types of side effects so I came back to marlissa & everything is back to normal. I haven’t gained any weight from it & I never break out barely any side effects for me.”

nicoleb123 September 15, 2015

For Birth Control: “This birth control worked in the sense that it prevents pregnancy however I suffered from horrible side effects. I had never struggled with bad acne before but I began getting cysts around my jawline and breakout on my cheeks (which I never got before). Not sure about any other side effects. I didn't pay much attention to that because my face was my main concern. I took this for 3 months and I ended up switching to a different pill.”

20 yrs. old · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 7, 2017

For Birth Control: “I started taking Marlissa about 5 months ago and when I first started taking it it took about a month for me to adjust. I had mood swings, worsened anxiety and depression, and I was tired all the time. The pros of this pill were decreased acne and my boobs got bigger! My period is also now 3 days instead of 7 and I have basically no cramps. The reason I started taking the pill was because of my extremely painful cramps and it did its job of taking them away which I am grateful for. I have recently realized I have been getting panic attacks a week before my period and I am not sure if it is because of the birth control or just me.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 9, 2020

For Birth Control: “Did not like this Marlissa birth control. I gained 15lbs in 3 months from this birth control which really sucked since I have a pretty small frame and this change was really noticeable. I originally went on birth control because I have a very heavy period and EXTREME cramps however neither have shown any improvement after a year on this bc. The only benefit was I didn't get pregnant.”

AG42092 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 2, 2016

For Birth Control: “I was on Marlissa for over 6 months and loved it - my periods were regulated, no weight gain, no acne, boobs grew. And I didn't even take it at exactly the time I was supposed to every night! My only con is that my sex drive has greatly declined :( but luckily I have an amazing boyfriend to counteract that! I would definitely recommend this birth control. I had to switch this week to Portia sadly... so we shall see how this one goes.”

Ash January 25, 2021

For Birth Control: “This pill has been a never-ending nightmare. It was okay while I was taking it though it gave me ridiculous amounts of acne on my face. The problems began when I decided to try for another baby. I stopped my birth control thinking I'd go on my period and that would be that. However, I did not get my period for 6 months. My body refused to ovulate. After being on a cycle of Provera to try and jump start my system, I've finally gotten my period naturally but now it hasn't stopped in more than 2 weeks. I feel like this nightmare of side effects will never end. Save yourself the trouble and consider a different birth control option. This pill is awful.”

steph · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 5, 2020

For Birth Control: “I was on Marlissa for about 2 months. It was actually a really good birth control. My periods were very light and didn't last for long. My appetite was a little too intense at times but I counteracted it with exercise and a healthy diet. One con I would say would be it was difficult losing weight on this bc. It could have been because my body was still getting accustomed to it. A really great pro was it softened my skin so much. I have keratosis pilaris on my arms and legs and this medication actually treated them. So if you're suffering from it, then this will help! All in all, this is a good basic bc!”

Jay1201 October 16, 2017

For Birth Control: “I was on Marlissa for 6 months . I originally started taking it because I had very heavy periods and I also became sexually active. Overall, it did its job. My periods became super light and it did protect me against pregnancy. However the side effects were terrible. I was sick to my stomach for the first couple days of a new pack every month, my cramps got worse instead of better, my mood would constantly change, and there would be random months where my face would totally break out. I just changed to Apri and so far it's been better.”

Nikki · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 7, 2020

For Birth Control: “I had a love hate relationship with Marlissa birth control. I loved that it gave me the lightest and shortest periods ever (I used to have the worst cramps and bleed heavily for 5-7 days). My period was only about 4 days and super light on this pill. However when I first started this pill I had horrible moods swings. I was depressed and would lash out at everyone. That settled down after a month but then I noticed I gained weight, about 10-20 pounds. My hunger got larger so that’s probably why. The main reason I switched though was because of my acne. It made my acne worse than it was before BC.”

Reviewer · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 30, 2019

For Birth Control: “This Marlissa birth control pill was by far one of the best pills I was on (FOR ME PERSONALLY) everyone is different! It didn’t make me depressed and I did not have any crazy side effects. I had cramps but that’s to be expected.”

Anonymous October 13, 2017

For Birth Control: “I've been taking this for 3 weeks and it's HORRIBLE. I recently just got diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome, and I have new insurance so my doctor recommended this. The only thing it has done for me, is give me acne. It's made my skin worse. I was taking levora since I was 19, because I always had irregular periods, but it's because I had PCOS this whole time. I'm now 27, and my skin was always phenomenal when I was on levora. I Never gained weight and levora maintained everything perfectly. Now I have pimples every day, and if one heals I'll get 2-3 more, by the time it's healed. I haven't noticed any change in my weight even though, I do workout 4 days a week and watch what I eat.”

Christy January 6, 2019

For Birth Control: “I got new insurance 6 months ago ( before I had none and wasn’t on any birth control). I started taking marlissa and at first it was good! My periods got lighter and my mood improved, but the last 4 months I’ll cramp horribly the week before my placebo bills and my period is only lasting maybe a day and a half. And this month I’ve had severe stomach problems (bloating), acne, and fatigue! I can’t even drink sprite without my body swelling really bad. I will see if these irregularities slack off in a couple months, but, if not I’m switching birth control medications .”

Anonymous September 18, 2019

For Birth Control: “I have been on Marlissa for about 6 months now. At first my cramps were really bad but around the third month the cramps went to where they were barely there. Only on the day my period would start and still I could barely feel them. Did make my period lighter to where on the third day it was pretty much just spotting until he 6th day. The only down side I would say it has decreased my appetite a lot within these 6 months I lost about 6 pounds. Other than that I would say this birth control is good! Before I was on Levora and with that one I would start spotting like two weeks before my period so I would basically be bleeding all month so this has really helped.”

Chelseabergstresser · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 9, 2017

For Birth Control: “I started on this a while ago. It was wonderful actually I never had problems getting my period on time, it always works and my cramps weren't bothering me. I moved and my pharmacy gave me Levora- same amount of active hormones but, Levora gave me god awful cramps all times of the month, made me miss my period for a month at a time, get 2 periods a month and sometimes just get it in the middle of the cycle. Marlissa doesn't give me that issue at all- I am so happy to be back on it again! There's a reason why there are so many types and brands, everyone's body will respond completely different”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 29, 2020

For Birth Control: “I have been on this drug for more than a month, currently I’m struggling with eating. If I even see food it makes me sick. And I’m pretty heavy set gal, but for the last week it’s been miserable trying to eat.”

helpingmygirlsout April 1, 2020

For Birth Control: “It was recommended I take Marlissa after the BC shot I was getting leading to constant spotting (6 mo). My doctor said it would take 3 months to regulate. Worked after 2 months. My side effects have been minimal - I gained 2 pounds over 2 years, mood swing the day or 2 leading up, acne breakouts the week of (dad had terrible acne, no way I can contribute it to one cause), and my periods have decreased in heaviness to normal (used to be heavy) as long as I stick to PA everyday. I’ve accepted the mood swings and give myself a day of self-care. SO, all of that was until 2 months ago. The new side effect is a diminished period. My period isn’t starting until 5 days off of BC pills - usually start on day 2. That comes with an insane amount of anxiety of missing a period. Previously my doctor recommended this is not a BC to stay on, as it has a complication of possibility losing a period entirely. I hope to schedule an appointment to switch to different BC in the summer.”

sv2 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 3, 2019

For Birth Control: “I have been on Marlissa for almost a year now. I used to have severe cramps and heavy bleeding throughout my period. The first few months, I didn't notice too much of a change. For one, I take it at night as most medications upset my stomach (so I didn't really have any nausea). It didn't do much to make my cycle lighter until about 4-5 months in. Now, I do still have some cramping around when my cycle "should" be (I naturally have a shorter cycle), but beyond that am quite satisfied with this medication. My periods are much lighter, I do still break out some during my period but not as much, and it effectively prevents pregnancy for me. I do still experience some PMS symptoms, but not as severely as before. I haven't noticed any weight gain I could attribute to this medication.”

Maddie Rue · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 17, 2018

For Birth Control: “I started Marlissa because I was having HORRIBLE period and I have already tried two other birth controls that didn't work. At first it minimized my constant bleeding but it didn't actually regulate my period until about 4 months later. Even though it took a while for my body to adjust it has been the best thing that's happened to me. The only bad side effect that I've had is if I don't eat within 15 minutes after taking it I will throw up and lately I've been kind of angry, but not to the point that I can't control it. Overall it has taken my period away (because I start a new pack on Wednesday of the placebos) and my boobs have grown! I'm also very forgetful and I will forget to take it for 1 or 2 days and when I take them all at the same time it doesn't have any adverse effects like the last ones!!”

Marlissa hives September 16, 2017

For Birth Control: “Something has changed in the formulation of this drug. I developed a rash which looked like giant hives after starting a pack and into the 3rd day. I thought it was unrelated but then it happened again when I started a second pack. I have changed to another brand and had no problems.”

More about Marlissa (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel)

Other brands