User Reviews for Balcoltra to treat Birth Control

Balcoltra has an average rating of 3.5 out of 10 from a total of 30 ratings for the treatment of Birth Control. 23% of those users who reviewed Balcoltra reported a positive effect, while 67% reported a negative effect.

Balcoltra Rating Summary

3.5/10 average rating

Compare all 267 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Balcoltra

Worm · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 6, 2021

“Loved it so much. First birth control I began taking, didn’t treat me well the first week I was on it. Gained a few pounds, nothing too serious. Cleared my skin and changed my attitude 100%. Unfortunately had to change my birth control due to insurance change, wish I could stay on balcoltra forever.”

Ro March 4, 2021

“This was my first birth control I’ve ever taken. I was prescribed this due to abnormal bleeding I had prior and it was suppose to “regulate” my period. It work for about 4 weeks and I started bleeding again and when I tell you I’ve became depressed! I was bleeding for about 4 weeks HEAVY! Heavy blood clots . I went to the Gyno to get switched and they told me this brand is designed to make you bleed compared to other birth control which stops your period ! Overall this is the worst birth control I wouldn’t recommend! I kept cramping it’s just ridiculous.”

KitKat · Taken for less than 1 month January 25, 2021

“I was switched to this birth control to help regulate my periods and help with break through bleeding I’ve had with another pill. I haven’t been on this pill for a week and for the first few days I kept telling myself that I need to continue this birth control at least 3 months because maybe my mood will level out. It has not. I have become extremely depressed and unmotivated. I was not struggling with depression before the pill and I was generally in a happy mood. However, I did suffer from depression in my early teen years. I have been on this pill for 5 days and I am already having suicidal thoughts. Because of this, I have decided to quit taking the pills. There is no reason I should have bad thoughts about myself and my body and my existence this much from one pill. It has also made me lose my appetite and I cannot sleep.”

Cat · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 3, 2020

“Started Balcoltra about 4 months ago. I was so scared with all the bad reviews but my gyno put me on it so I went with it. Other than a little breakthrough bleeding, I haven't had any major side effects. I noticed the cramps during my period lasted a little longer the first couple of months, but now on month 4 I can say that my period is shorter and lighter than what it used to be. No acne, no bloating or weight gain. I'm happy with it!”

Yaz · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 8, 2020

“Horrible. Experienced terrible mood swings and increased depression and anxiety plus cystic acne that I never experienced before this pill. I’ve also been constantly bleeding for the past 4 weeks because of it, wouldn’t recommend at all.”

hellsbells · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 13, 2020

“I’m on my second month of taking this BC. My gyno put me on it to help shrink an ovarian cyst I have that’s close to rupturing. So far I have noticed somewhat of a decrease in cramps. Thank goodness because those cramps were the worst pains I’ve ever felt and I would consider myself a person who has a very high pain tolerance :/ Butttt on the other hand, I have been bleeding/spotting for about 3 1/2 weeks now after I had my full 6 day period, I’ve experienced abnormal mood swings, increased anxiety, worsened depression and insane random crying sprees over the smallest things or just nothing really at all. At this point I think the pain is a better option than how crazy this pill has made me feel”

BalcoltraUser123 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 23, 2020

“I have been on this birth control for about 7 months. I started using Balcoltra after my IUD started to fall out (yeah scary I know). Since starting it I have been tracking my cycles. My period comes within a day of when it has been predicted (either 1 day early or late). I am an overall anxious person, so I don’t see my anxiety being worse bc of this BC. Another plus is that my weight has been maintained, even through quarantine. Overall this form of BC does its jobs and I’ve had no major side effects.”

B · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 4, 2020

“Balcoltra is the first birth control that I’ve ever been on. The first 2-3 months I had really bad headaches and bad mood swings that would come after taking the pill at night and I was about to call my doctor to switch off of it. The only other side effect symptoms that I’ve noticed is my breasts becoming tender, headaches every now and then, mood swings, and abdominal cramping. Over the months, it’s gotten a lot better and I really can’t complain about Balcoltra. It’s helped my acne and I still sometimes get those other symptoms but it’s not often so it’s bearable. It’s a lot better than I expected it to be.”

Annoyed300 · Taken for less than 1 month November 19, 2020

“This birth control Balcoltra sucks. I was off of BC for 2 years because the brand I was on (Orto tri cyclen lo) was discontinued. Pharmacy switched me to Lo Sprintec and that also sucked so I stopped altogether. Anyway, had a pregnancy scare and decided to give BC another chance. My OBGYN said this was a mild, low dose BC and shouldn’t give me any side effects. WRONG. I threw up everyday (Took it before bed) , had constant dizzy spells that rolled over to the next day, and the worst of all were mood swings. Not only did I almost break up with my boyfriend, but I cried and almost put my fist through a wall over a text message. Safe to say that only lasted 5 days before calling it quits. My suggestion? Don’t try it, I get everyone’s bodies work differently— which is why I ignored the reviews and tried it anyway. Boy was I wrong. To put it simply— don’t do it. You’re welcome.”

justfacts · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 10, 2020

“Terrible. Developed chronic oral thrush and yeast infections from Balcoltra that I was not experiencing before. Also noticed bloating and digestive issues as well. Definitely getting off as soon as possible.”

eg123 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 20, 2020

“I was on balcoltra for 9 months. I am only 18 years old and was 17 when I started on this medication in hopes it would help with my acne. I have always had a fast metabolism and never gained a significant amount of weight in my life and have always been able to drop off weight fast. However after taking this I gained about 20 pounds after a few months and tried everything I could to lose it, but never did until I switched to a different birth control. Balcoltra makes you feel bloated 24/7, even when you first wake up in the morning. I also did not notice any change in my acne. I would NOT recommend this to anyone, UNLESS you want to gain weight.”

Balcoltrasucks · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 21, 2021

“I have lost count on how many birth controls I have been on at this point to manage my period pain. I will generally skip my blue pills and start a new pack to avoid my period symptoms, as recommended per doctor. This birth control how ever has cause SEVERE cramping and bleeding. I am on my third month of this pill and am currently up at 4 am writing this review since the pain woke me up. This has no where our a dent in my normal pain, if not made it way worse. I have taken multiple pills over the past ten years and this is one of the first times I’ve experienced this kind of pain so early since I am now only three months in to taking it. I have a consultation for endometriosis surgery in May, so ladies is you are having similar symptoms of endo I suggest staying away.”

cc January 16, 2021

“I am coming up on the last pack of my 3 month supply. I would not recommend this brand to anyone. I got on birth control because my periods were incredibly irregular. Does it help regulate it? yes. Balcoltra contains iron in it. Because of all that iron you will feel bloated and have digestive issues. My acne was never bad, but after I started it, cystic acne started to show up. I thought birth control was supposed to reduce acne? After I’m done with this pack I’ll be using a different brand.”

Elly · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 29, 2019

“I have been on balcoltra for around a year and it really is one of the best birth controls I have been on. Previously, I was on Sprintec and it caused me to be very depressed and have mood swings. Being on balcoltra allowed my acne to heal up, and a very short light period. The only downside with this pill is that I find if I take two in one day I get violently sick to my stomach and vomit.”

Marie June 24, 2020

“I had an absolutely awful experience on this Balcotra pill. I had almost constant cystic acne that abated during the placebo week, but returned immediately upon starting the new pack. Nothing improved the acne, and it actually worsened over time. I also experienced weight gain and moodiness. I haven’t experienced such significant side effects on any other pill, so I really cannot recommend it to anyone.”

Janine July 22, 2019

“Balcoltra has caused my acne to go from mild to severe in a matter of 6 months. Previously, I was on Yaz for 7 years. My acne on Yaz was mostly mild. It also made me lose weight. But, overtime I started experiencing migraines and increased acne so I talked to my gyno and she switched me to Balcoltra. She explained that my body could have changed and the hormones in Yaz just weren't working the same. Boy do I wish I never made that switch. I have always been the type to say birth control does not make you gain weight, but in 6 months I've put on almost 10 lbs and I really haven't made any changes in my diet. But the worst is the horrendous cystic acne that's now covering my jawline, cheeks, and chin. I tried not to believe that this was the culprit and that it's just because I've been under a lot of stress, but I can't hold out any longer. I'm coming off completely. For now I'm just praying that my acne gets under control.”

Mads · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 24, 2019

“I was encouraged to take this BC by my OBGYN to prevent breakthrough bleeding. The only positive things I can say about this pill is that it has prevented pregnancy and breakthrough bleeding. However, from the beginning I noticed severe breast tenderness, cystic acne, stomach cramps, headaches, and worst of all mood swings. I’m currently home for the holidays and my mother brought up the fact that something is off with me emotionally which really opened my eyes. Everything in my life is going well so I have no doubts it’s the birth control messing with my anxiety and depression. My doctor encouraged me to test it out for a few months but I’m so miserable that I’m getting off of it immediately.”

JTEE · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 9, 2019

“Everyone's chemistry is different and what works for one women will not necessarily work for another. This is the third hormonal birth control I've tried and the side effects have been the most manageable on this medication. First, it does what it claims it will do, I've been on it for about a year now and am not pregnant. ;) For me, the side effects have been mild, much milder than other BC's I've tried (Generic patches and LO Loestrin FE). I do experience mood swings (generally irritability, sometimes lethargy) and bloating (which goes away during period week). Acne doesn't seem to be affected, it's slightly better than when I was taking nothing but it does not keep my skin entirely clear. Periods are shorter than normal on this medication and I don't experience cramping any more or less than typical.”

g · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 27, 2020

“I am not even kidding when I say this pill Balcoltra made me bleed for 3 months straight. I’m three days into a new pill and I’m STILL BLEEDING. I was bleeding through ultra tampons in less than two hours. Not to mention it’s insanely expensive. There are better options I promise.”

O · Taken for less than 1 month April 29, 2020

“WORST PILL OUT THERE! I have never been on birth control but recently diagnosed with PCOS so this was recommended by my GYN. I was on it for 1 week and had THE worst anxiety ever!! Also, I bloated up so bad it looked like I was pregnant all over again. I had random dizzy spells. After consulting with the doctor I stopped taking it 2 days ago and my chest is still in pain! I would never recommend to anyone who is new to BC!”

Leah · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 6, 2019

“I have been on 2 other birth controls which made me nauseous and feel horrible everyday. Balcoltra is the only one that hasn’t made me feel that way. I haven’t had excess weight gain or acne. I feel really normal”

Rosie December 5, 2019

“I was on Balcoltra for a total of 4 horrible months. This was the first BC I’d ever been on-recommended by my OBGYN to treat ovarian cysts. Now, my cysts were painful but nothing compared to this BC’s side effects. I was nauseous every. single. day. I woke up nauseous, I went about day fighting the urge to vomit, and I’d go to bed sitting upright until I’d fall asleep and wake up at 3am with food coming up my throat. I’d also get frequent migraines, definitely gained some weight, depression episodes, And I’d developed acne that I hadn’t had since my teenage years. The only upside is that my period would last about 3 days when prior to it would last about 7-8 days. I know it was this BC doing all of this because I switched to Blisovi and have yet to have any side effect. My acne cleared up within days, I sleep through the night, and I’m losing some weight. I know every body is different but this one was so intense I really wouldn’t recommend it to ANYONE.”

lex November 16, 2020

“Balcoltra was my first form of birth control, and I just finished my third pack. For some reason this birth control messed with my digestive system. After a couple weeks I noticed that I was really gassy, and my body looked like I was gaining weight. I realized it wasn't actually weight gain, but instead I was having stomach issues. I had a lot of flatulence, bloating, and constipation that gradually got worse. I started taking expensive probiotics and being extra restrictive about what I was eating to make it go away. I tried cutting out food groups and only eating healthy, non-irritating foods, but nothing worked. This third month has been really bad, I'm constantly so bloated that I look pregnant, and it gives me stomach pain. It really messed with my body image and being obsessive over what I eat consumes me. I'm really upset about this because other than that, Balcoltra has been perfect, maybe some mood swings but that's it. Sadly I have to switch to something else:(”

acneprone · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 11, 2019

“I switched to Balcoltra after Tri Lo Marzia when I began getting periods over 12 days long. 3 months in my period is back to normal, and nothing else is. I am on birthcontrol (BC) to help my acne and I now have huge cystic breakouts when I've never had cystic acne before. Ever since starting the medication I've had severe mood swings, which continued to get worse and spiralled into full on depression. Like many other commenters, I tried very hard to believe it wasn't the birth control, but I have experienced nearly every side effect of this medication at this point. This was my fourth birth control I've tried and I am officially done with BC all together. Thanks for nothing!”

birthcontroller · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 2, 2019

“I switched to Balcoltra because I was experiencing breakthrough bleeding on Sprintec and Tri-Sprintec. At first, Balcoltra was great -- had NO breakthrough bleeding or side effects for the first 3 months. For some reason, at month 4, I started experiencing breakthrough bleeding again, as well as lots of gastrointestinal problems, bloating, mood swings, acne -- you name it. It was very frustrating, but my doc encouraged me to keep with it for a few more months. During these months, the pill was very inconsistent. Sometimes, I'd have a great month with no breakthrough bleeding and short periods. Others, I'd have every side effect in the book. I also gained about 5 pounds, but that could be for a number of reasons, even though I eat very healthily and work out 5 days a week. I've finally decided to switch off Balcoltra and try something else.”

Ally May 9, 2020

“Switched from Lo Lo to Balcoltra and the first 3-4 months were great then I started to have HORRIBLE depression and anxiety. Went to a therapist and it didn’t help so she prescribed me an antidepressant. I’ve also gained lots of weight and lost weight on Lo Lo. Recently, I’ve started having the worst headaches and migraines. It’s almost every night. It seriously just prevented pregnancy. Do yourself a favor... don’t take this!!! Anyway, I’m switching to an IUD because they aren’t systemic. Wish me luck:///”

Haley · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 6, 2020

“I was put on balcoltra a little over a year ago after having trouble with a huge cyst wrapping itself around my ovary - yes it’s as painful as it sounds!!! It helped so much and also helped regulate my periods. I went from having awful cramps to barely any, and my flow was a lot lighter. About 8 months into taking it I realized my mood was always really depressing while I would PMS. I was so sad all the time. I got put on medication for that and it helped, but I’m not sure if they balcoltra was the problem. There have been some other women talking about their mood swings on it.”

KL · Taken for less than 1 month March 1, 2020

“I experienced the worst anxiety/depression within days of starting this Balcoltra. I thought I was going insane and thank goodness I put the pieces together at the end of the first pack and stopped taking it. The first day after stopping I felt like myself again.”