User Reviews for Balcoltra

Birth Control
3.6

Reviews for Balcoltra

Cat · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 3, 2020

For Birth Control: “Started Balcoltra about 4 months ago. I was so scared with all the bad reviews but my gyno put me on it so I went with it. Other than a little breakthrough bleeding, I haven't had any major side effects. I noticed the cramps during my period lasted a little longer the first couple of months, but now on month 4 I can say that my period is shorter and lighter than what it used to be. No acne, no bloating or weight gain. I'm happy with it!”

KitKat · Taken for less than 1 month January 25, 2021

For Birth Control: “I was switched to this birth control to help regulate my periods and help with break through bleeding I’ve had with another pill. I haven’t been on this pill for a week and for the first few days I kept telling myself that I need to continue this birth control at least 3 months because maybe my mood will level out. It has not. I have become extremely depressed and unmotivated. I was not struggling with depression before the pill and I was generally in a happy mood. However, I did suffer from depression in my early teen years. I have been on this pill for 5 days and I am already having suicidal thoughts. Because of this, I have decided to quit taking the pills. There is no reason I should have bad thoughts about myself and my body and my existence this much from one pill. It has also made me lose my appetite and I cannot sleep.”

K January 14, 2021

“Literally the worse birth control on the market. I’ve been off birth control for three years and got back on due to irregular menstrual cycles. Back in 2017 I was on ortho tri cyclen and only experienced minor bloating as a symptom. My gyno gave me this script because of the low hormones but I highly regret it. When I started the first pack I started breaking out like CRAZY! I kept going because I figured my body just might be getting used to the pack. Come week three, I have a full blown period before I even reached the blue pills. Two weeks after that I have developed insomnia, chronic fatigue to a point where I can hardly stay awake during the day, accompanied by nausea and extreme hunger both at the same time. To top it off I’m moody as anything and have been super irritable. Lets not forget the huge mountains forming on my chin and cheeks still. Safe to say I’m switching back to ortho tri cyclen ASAP! Stay away ladies.”

Yaz · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 8, 2020

For Birth Control: “Horrible. Experienced terrible mood swings and increased depression and anxiety plus cystic acne that I never experienced before this pill. I’ve also been constantly bleeding for the past 4 weeks because of it, wouldn’t recommend at all.”

Wanie · Taken for less than 1 month August 8, 2021

For Birth Control: “My doctor gave me the sample pack to start, first week I have no side effects, but week two, I started to have heavy blood with clots, week 3 started with a serious headache, week 4 serious cramp and feel like vomit all the time, tinnitus. Don't try this brand. Very serious side effects.”

B · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 4, 2020

For Birth Control: “Balcoltra is the first birth control that I’ve ever been on. The first 2-3 months I had really bad headaches and bad mood swings that would come after taking the pill at night and I was about to call my doctor to switch off of it. The only other side effect symptoms that I’ve noticed is my breasts becoming tender, headaches every now and then, mood swings, and abdominal cramping. Over the months, it’s gotten a lot better and I really can’t complain about Balcoltra. It’s helped my acne and I still sometimes get those other symptoms but it’s not often so it’s bearable. It’s a lot better than I expected it to be.”

hellsbells · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 13, 2020

For Birth Control: “I’m on my second month of taking this BC. My gyno put me on it to help shrink an ovarian cyst I have that’s close to rupturing. So far I have noticed somewhat of a decrease in cramps. Thank goodness because those cramps were the worst pains I’ve ever felt and I would consider myself a person who has a very high pain tolerance :/ Butttt on the other hand, I have been bleeding/spotting for about 3 1/2 weeks now after I had my full 6 day period, I’ve experienced abnormal mood swings, increased anxiety, worsened depression and insane random crying sprees over the smallest things or just nothing really at all. At this point I think the pain is a better option than how crazy this pill has made me feel”

BalcoltraUser123 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 23, 2020

For Birth Control: “I have been on this birth control for about 7 months. I started using Balcoltra after my IUD started to fall out (yeah scary I know). Since starting it I have been tracking my cycles. My period comes within a day of when it has been predicted (either 1 day early or late). I am an overall anxious person, so I don’t see my anxiety being worse bc of this BC. Another plus is that my weight has been maintained, even through quarantine. Overall this form of BC does its jobs and I’ve had no major side effects.”

Sasha December 21, 2019

“I am a perimenopausal 48-year old women with history of severe PMS and endometriosis. Tried other birth control pills. GYN just started me on Balcoltra three days ago. For three days I woke with a terrible headache - a migraine. Nothing else has changed so can only contribute to the Balcoltra. I can't take this. Stopping after only 3 days. What the heck. Anyone else?”

Annoyed300 · Taken for less than 1 month November 19, 2020

For Birth Control: “This birth control Balcoltra sucks. I was off of BC for 2 years because the brand I was on (Orto tri cyclen lo) was discontinued. Pharmacy switched me to Lo Sprintec and that also sucked so I stopped altogether. Anyway, had a pregnancy scare and decided to give BC another chance. My OBGYN said this was a mild, low dose BC and shouldn’t give me any side effects. WRONG. I threw up everyday (Took it before bed) , had constant dizzy spells that rolled over to the next day, and the worst of all were mood swings. Not only did I almost break up with my boyfriend, but I cried and almost put my fist through a wall over a text message. Safe to say that only lasted 5 days before calling it quits. My suggestion? Don’t try it, I get everyone’s bodies work differently— which is why I ignored the reviews and tried it anyway. Boy was I wrong. To put it simply— don’t do it. You’re welcome.”

g · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 27, 2020

For Birth Control: “I am not even kidding when I say this pill Balcoltra made me bleed for 3 months straight. I’m three days into a new pill and I’m STILL BLEEDING. I was bleeding through ultra tampons in less than two hours. Not to mention it’s insanely expensive. There are better options I promise.”

eg123 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 20, 2020

For Birth Control: “I was on balcoltra for 9 months. I am only 18 years old and was 17 when I started on this medication in hopes it would help with my acne. I have always had a fast metabolism and never gained a significant amount of weight in my life and have always been able to drop off weight fast. However after taking this I gained about 20 pounds after a few months and tried everything I could to lose it, but never did until I switched to a different birth control. Balcoltra makes you feel bloated 24/7, even when you first wake up in the morning. I also did not notice any change in my acne. I would NOT recommend this to anyone, UNLESS you want to gain weight.”

justfacts · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 10, 2020

For Birth Control: “Terrible. Developed chronic oral thrush and yeast infections from Balcoltra that I was not experiencing before. Also noticed bloating and digestive issues as well. Definitely getting off as soon as possible.”

Elly · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 29, 2019

For Birth Control: “I have been on balcoltra for around a year and it really is one of the best birth controls I have been on. Previously, I was on Sprintec and it caused me to be very depressed and have mood swings. Being on balcoltra allowed my acne to heal up, and a very short light period. The only downside with this pill is that I find if I take two in one day I get violently sick to my stomach and vomit.”

Ro March 4, 2021

For Birth Control: “This was my first birth control I’ve ever taken. I was prescribed this due to abnormal bleeding I had prior and it was suppose to “regulate” my period. It work for about 4 weeks and I started bleeding again and when I tell you I’ve became depressed! I was bleeding for about 4 weeks HEAVY! Heavy blood clots . I went to the Gyno to get switched and they told me this brand is designed to make you bleed compared to other birth control which stops your period ! Overall this is the worst birth control I wouldn’t recommend! I kept cramping it’s just ridiculous.”

Janine July 22, 2019

For Birth Control: “Balcoltra has caused my acne to go from mild to severe in a matter of 6 months. Previously, I was on Yaz for 7 years. My acne on Yaz was mostly mild. It also made me lose weight. But, overtime I started experiencing migraines and increased acne so I talked to my gyno and she switched me to Balcoltra. She explained that my body could have changed and the hormones in Yaz just weren't working the same. Boy do I wish I never made that switch. I have always been the type to say birth control does not make you gain weight, but in 6 months I've put on almost 10 lbs and I really haven't made any changes in my diet. But the worst is the horrendous cystic acne that's now covering my jawline, cheeks, and chin. I tried not to believe that this was the culprit and that it's just because I've been under a lot of stress, but I can't hold out any longer. I'm coming off completely. For now I'm just praying that my acne gets under control.”

Mads · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 24, 2019

For Birth Control: “I was encouraged to take this BC by my OBGYN to prevent breakthrough bleeding. The only positive things I can say about this pill is that it has prevented pregnancy and breakthrough bleeding. However, from the beginning I noticed severe breast tenderness, cystic acne, stomach cramps, headaches, and worst of all mood swings. I’m currently home for the holidays and my mother brought up the fact that something is off with me emotionally which really opened my eyes. Everything in my life is going well so I have no doubts it’s the birth control messing with my anxiety and depression. My doctor encouraged me to test it out for a few months but I’m so miserable that I’m getting off of it immediately.”

cc January 16, 2021

For Birth Control: “I am coming up on the last pack of my 3 month supply. I would not recommend this brand to anyone. I got on birth control because my periods were incredibly irregular. Does it help regulate it? yes. Balcoltra contains iron in it. Because of all that iron you will feel bloated and have digestive issues. My acne was never bad, but after I started it, cystic acne started to show up. I thought birth control was supposed to reduce acne? After I’m done with this pack I’ll be using a different brand.”

Balcoltrasucks · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 21, 2021

For Birth Control: “I have lost count on how many birth controls I have been on at this point to manage my period pain. I will generally skip my blue pills and start a new pack to avoid my period symptoms, as recommended per doctor. This birth control how ever has cause SEVERE cramping and bleeding. I am on my third month of this pill and am currently up at 4 am writing this review since the pain woke me up. This has no where our a dent in my normal pain, if not made it way worse. I have taken multiple pills over the past ten years and this is one of the first times I’ve experienced this kind of pain so early since I am now only three months in to taking it. I have a consultation for endometriosis surgery in May, so ladies is you are having similar symptoms of endo I suggest staying away.”

JTEE · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 9, 2019

For Birth Control: “Everyone's chemistry is different and what works for one women will not necessarily work for another. This is the third hormonal birth control I've tried and the side effects have been the most manageable on this medication. First, it does what it claims it will do, I've been on it for about a year now and am not pregnant. ;) For me, the side effects have been mild, much milder than other BC's I've tried (Generic patches and LO Loestrin FE). I do experience mood swings (generally irritability, sometimes lethargy) and bloating (which goes away during period week). Acne doesn't seem to be affected, it's slightly better than when I was taking nothing but it does not keep my skin entirely clear. Periods are shorter than normal on this medication and I don't experience cramping any more or less than typical.”

Marie June 24, 2020

For Birth Control: “I had an absolutely awful experience on this Balcotra pill. I had almost constant cystic acne that abated during the placebo week, but returned immediately upon starting the new pack. Nothing improved the acne, and it actually worsened over time. I also experienced weight gain and moodiness. I haven’t experienced such significant side effects on any other pill, so I really cannot recommend it to anyone.”

Leah · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 6, 2019

For Birth Control: “I have been on 2 other birth controls which made me nauseous and feel horrible everyday. Balcoltra is the only one that hasn’t made me feel that way. I haven’t had excess weight gain or acne. I feel really normal”

O · Taken for less than 1 month April 29, 2020

For Birth Control: “WORST PILL OUT THERE! I have never been on birth control but recently diagnosed with PCOS so this was recommended by my GYN. I was on it for 1 week and had THE worst anxiety ever!! Also, I bloated up so bad it looked like I was pregnant all over again. I had random dizzy spells. After consulting with the doctor I stopped taking it 2 days ago and my chest is still in pain! I would never recommend to anyone who is new to BC!”

Rosie December 5, 2019

For Birth Control: “I was on Balcoltra for a total of 4 horrible months. This was the first BC I’d ever been on-recommended by my OBGYN to treat ovarian cysts. Now, my cysts were painful but nothing compared to this BC’s side effects. I was nauseous every. single. day. I woke up nauseous, I went about day fighting the urge to vomit, and I’d go to bed sitting upright until I’d fall asleep and wake up at 3am with food coming up my throat. I’d also get frequent migraines, definitely gained some weight, depression episodes, And I’d developed acne that I hadn’t had since my teenage years. The only upside is that my period would last about 3 days when prior to it would last about 7-8 days. I know it was this BC doing all of this because I switched to Blisovi and have yet to have any side effect. My acne cleared up within days, I sleep through the night, and I’m losing some weight. I know every body is different but this one was so intense I really wouldn’t recommend it to ANYONE.”

acneprone · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 11, 2019

For Birth Control: “I switched to Balcoltra after Tri Lo Marzia when I began getting periods over 12 days long. 3 months in my period is back to normal, and nothing else is. I am on birthcontrol (BC) to help my acne and I now have huge cystic breakouts when I've never had cystic acne before. Ever since starting the medication I've had severe mood swings, which continued to get worse and spiralled into full on depression. Like many other commenters, I tried very hard to believe it wasn't the birth control, but I have experienced nearly every side effect of this medication at this point. This was my fourth birth control I've tried and I am officially done with BC all together. Thanks for nothing!”