User Reviews for Alesse

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Alesse.

Endometriosis

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
4.9

Summary of Alesse reviews 6.0 144 reviews

Reviews for Alesse

For Birth Control "I was switched to Alesse 3 months ago when my other BC brand was discontinued. Experienced a face rash as soon as I finished my first pack to start my period which lasted the entirety of that week. Have had no other side effects until again recently I experienced a more intense rash on my arms, legs and lower back but was in the middle of my pack for month 3, which lasted for about 4 days and now spotting a week before my period is supposed to start. I’ve never had a rash in my life before taking Alesse, I’ve been on BC for 2 years and the only side effect I ever had was spotting when I first started. Would not recommend alesse if you have sensitive skin (I don’t) or react badly to medications"

Anonymous December 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "This garbage pill turned me into a robot. I seriously had zero emotions and cared about nothing. I was only on it for a month but I'm still dealing with the acne it gave me all over my cheeks. I regret taking this pill so much. If you don't want extra body hair or deal with acne, choose a less androgenic pill. Otherwise, it didn't have any side effects besides body hair growth in places men usually have it, and acne all over the lower part of my face."

RiWields November 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I was on this pill for probably around 4 years, when I got a pulmonary embolism. I am 18 YEARS OLD. The doctors have no idea what the cause was other than me being on birth control. I could have died. Pulmonary embolisms are very serious and I would tell all girls to rethink if they really want to risk their life for BC pills."

JoTate November 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've started taking this type of birth control. It's my first birth control in general, and my first pack. I've been getting sharp cramps, and am now bleeding (even after my period has stopped) and, huge migraines on the right side only of my head (whether or not this is a side effect, I don't know but it has occurred ever since I started taking Alesse). I don't know if I should be alarmed about the sharp cramps, as they are extremely painful, but do go away, and come back within seconds. I want to play it safe, but I also want to make sure there is nothing wrong with myself down there. Anyone else having these issues?"

Concerned Teen (taken for less than 1 month) November 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I took Alesse for 1 month and 1 week. After the first week I broke out with the worst cystic acne I have ever had in my life. I tried to stick it out to the three month mark to see if it would clear up, but it was so horrible I decided to stop 1 week into my second pack. I'm giving it 5 stars because I didn't experience any other side effects whatsoever, which I have gotten on other pills."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Alesse was the first birth control that my doctor had put me on. I had no side effects and was confused due to all of the complaints I had heard about taking birth control in general from my peers. I began to wonder if there was anything better than Alesse and that is my biggest regret. I took Lolo as well as Tricera Lo and both of those helped me realize what side effects and tolls some birth control pills can have on women. I was breaking out in cystic acne, my breasts hurt, I had gained weight, my appetite was immense, etc. I went back on Alesse and low and behold, my skin is at its best, I have ZERO side effects and most importantly, it prevents me from getting pregnant."

katgirl31 October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I switched to this pill after taking progesterone only, and I almost immediately regretted it. I was moody and nasty, gained 10-15 pounds within the first two weeks of taking it, started to become depressed, and it completely reduced my sex drive. I also had mild acne before I started taking it, and it developed into cystic acne within a week, and didn’t clear up. I’ve been off it for over a month now, still have the cystic acne, but my mood and sex drive came back up. I hated what happened to me on it so much that I stopped taking it after the first month because to me, trying to finish the 3 mo trial wasn’t worth it. There are other options."

Alixiiiiii (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "This birth control made me break out so much because of its low estrogen to high androgen ratio. I was also very moody and irritable. I was told to wait for my body to get used to it but I ended up giving up around the 4 month mark. I switched to ortho tricyclen because it has a higher estrogen to lower androgen ration."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Personally I have had so far a great experience on alesse. I've been on it for just over 6 months now, it has helped with acne and regulating periods. I haven't noticed any weight gain at all, and my period are super light. I however just recently started having sex, and overall I am a nervous person about getting pregnant, but so far all good! *finger crossed*"

HowdyHithere October 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've been taking Alesse for 3 months now and my experience was very poor. There's a number of problems I had with this birth control pill. Number one is the nausea. Everyday for the last couple of months I would feel slight nausea to the point where I thought maybe I was pregnant. I took pregnancy test numbers of times because I was worried if maybe I was really pregnant. I did some research that the pills give you nausea so I waited and continued taking it with food before intaking it and still nothing worked. On top of that I've gotten severe acne, I don't usually get acne, my skin is clear but once I started taking the pill my acne grew worse it's really bad now. Lastly the mood swings and period cramps which were terrible."

Girlllll September 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I just started this birth control to help my heavy flow and period cramps and when I began my pack, I was happy with the results because I had less acne and I never felt achy or crampy. As soon as I started the sugar pills, I got my period and my cramps continued to be as bad as they were before. Although my flow wasn't as heavy, my cramps were bad enough that I had to miss school and my extracurricular activities."

jnafn September 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I'm a 27 yo woman, who has only used the pill as bc. I started bc at 24 yo. I was on microgestin 1/20 fe that worked pretty well for me for a couple of years. No weight gain, no migraines, no anxiety or depression, decreased pms. The only thing was that if I was a little off on my timing I'd spot. So I switched. Thought maybe there's a better pill out there for me? I was on alesse for 10 months. I went from 112lbs to 122lbs. Which I didn't mind, really. What I endured with this bc was horrifying. I was constantly bloated. Pregnant belly bloated the entire month, had severe cramps that would immobilize me completely, I suffered from panic and anxiety attacks and slight depression. I had a foggy mind and would sob at least 2 times a week."

m09m (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've been on Alesse for three months now, half way through third pack. I've been been getting my period half way threw the active pills. This has been happening ever month like clock work. It usually ends around the time I start taking the sugar pills. I'm curious if this is happening to anyone else."

kaytzz August 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "This is the first pill I've tried as my doctor recommended it as being the safest. My experience was so terrible that I had to discontinue Alesse after day 6. I got bad chest pains, racing heart, anxiety and GERD. The sharp chest pain in particular freaked me out the most as the medication carried black box warning for DVT and pulmonary embolism. Please be very cautious before trying any hormonal birth control, I know stats say that the chances to get clots are small, but I feel that reality is different. Threw the rest of the box in garbage where it belongs and would never recommend it to anyone. This piece of trash could seriously sabotage your health, please be cautious."

Tiffany12345 August 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I started taking this pill about 3 years ago. At first, I wanted to use it as a birth control & to clear up my acne (which wasn't that bad; I had light/moderate acne with no cysts). However, my acne got A LOT WORSE (severe cystic acne) and I didn't know it was from that pill. I had acne like I never had before and I started experiencing violent headaches (at least 1 or 2 per week). I tried a lot of treatment for acne, but none of them worked. Due to a breakup with my ex-boyfriend from the last 5 years, I stopped the pill about 3 months ago. Honestly, my face cleared up now and it's as smooth as a baby's butt!! Also, I never experienced headaches again since I stopped that pill. So yeah, that pill did it job as a birth control, but, it wasn't the great one for me and it's too bad that I realize it 3 years later!"

anonymous_xo (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I started using this alesse when I got pretty moderate/severe acne (no cysts though). This product worked okay for me, its very low dose so it didn't make a huge difference for me. It did improve my acne (I only had light/moderate acne) but I coupled it with minocycline and topical clindamycin with benzoyl peroxide and the retin-A gel (0.05%). I'm not entirely sure which made my face better. Alesse helped keep my weight down and I had no side effects. I switched to yaz because I heard it was better for acne (which it was) but then I got crazy mood swings and emotions so I switched back. Now it isn't as effective on me. I'm now looking to switch to ortho tri-cyclen! I would recommend this product!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I was on Alesse for about 4 years. Just going off it now just to see how I feel off birth control (if I feel any different). My experience with it was great. My period cramps became way more manageable and my periods only ever lasted about 4 days max. For the last 2 years me and my boyfriend would have sex no condom and never had any scares so it works well! ( I was good with it and took it every night before bed). I don't have acne prone skin so I didn't experience any problems while on the pill. I've been on Alesse since grade 12 so I'm curious as to how my body might be off the pill thats the only reason I'm going off it, and I would definitely take it again if/when I go back on the pill."

ky087 August 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've only been on alesse for a week but I'm already quitting it... no physical pain or acne or anything like that, but I'm experiencing these horrible mood swings. All the sudden I become extremely irritable or want to cry my eyes out, it's unbearable. Also, I'm hardly ever hungry or full now. The not being hungry thing isn't so bad, but I can literally eat an entire tub of icecream and still not be full. I've definitely gained a little bit of weight."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Started taking Aleese 4 months after first baby. Within the first 24hrs I developed a headache. For a week I took my pill same time everyday. On day 7 my headache had become unbearably bad. By the next morning I started pain puking unable to open my right eye. I went into emergency at the hospital and was treated for a migraine... a migraine was not what the problem was I have a blood clot in my brain caused by being on this pill for 1 week. I am now on blood thinners and treatment for the clot luckily I did not keep waiting for what I thought was my body adjusting to this bc. I saved my life by going to the hospital."

Jc403 (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "There were many positives to Alesse (I was on the generic - Aviane). This was about my 4th or 5th kind of BC pill, as I tend to have issues and side effects with most others. The only side effects I had on this were spotty, random periods, and acne. I can handle the breakthrough bleeding, but the acne was just awful. I have acne prone skin, and Yaz totally cleared it up, but made me gain weight. When I switched to Alesse, I lost weight (not entirely due to changing the pill) but my acne came back horribly. I am going to switch soon. I didn't have any mood swings. I have some cramps during my period. It didn't mess with my sex drive (Yaz killed it). I would recommend this ONLY if you don't have issues with acne."

Runnergirlx126 June 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I'm just finishing up my 3rd pack of alesse!! Before starting alesse I read a lot of reviews to know what to expect but for me it's been really good! I'm 18, about 105lb, and the most I was concerned about was getting bad acne on this pill. For me, I've had clear skin my whole life and didn't want to make it worse. The first week of taking this birth control I broke out on my forehead and it really freaked me out. It all cleared up within a few days though and I haven't had worse acne than before taking the pill. My only side effect is sex drive has gone down quite a bit, I didn't really think about this one until I had it for myself. Also very dry but nothing that lube can't fix! boobs have grown about a cup size too haha"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I originally started talking this BC (having never before taken any others) as an attempt to regulate my acne. It did help the acne on my back and chest a bit, but I did not notice it help clear up my face. So it was disappointing in that regard. HOWEVER I love how it regulates my period nicely with very few--if any--side effects. No nausea, no cramps, etc. BUT to be fair, I never experienced those during my normal periods. I guess if you're just looking for a birth control pill that regulates irregular/heavy periods (mine went from 7 down to 4 days), this could be a pill for you to consider."

S Maria June 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Alesse was the first type of birth control I've ever taken and I experienced many negative side effects. When I first started it, I had severe back pain, headaches, and mood swings. After a week or two these symptoms subsided but I began to feel depressed--this feeling went on for about a month and worsened whenever I drank alcohol. In total, I was on this pill for two cycles before I decided to switch. That being said, everyone is different! If Alesse doesn't work for you, there are probably others that will."

Snj May 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've been on alesse now for about 5 years and I'm going to switch pills. It's never helped with my acne nor my period pain and it's made me EXTREMELY irritable and very very moody and depressed. I went off it for a year and it I was instantly happier and my skin wasn't as bad and I had regular period pain. As far as being a contraceptive it's worked so far *knock* *knock* I would not recommend this if you are sensitive to medication."

Kathanp April 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I was taking this as a contraceptive and to prevent ovarian cysts, which I am prone to. This pill worked great for those two things and I had no problems with this BCP for the first year of taking it. However, after around a year and half on it I developed extreme anxiety, panic attacks, severe moodiness and change of temperament, as well as nausea every single day. I am about to go off of it, hopefully I can find a BCP without these side affects."

uaheb1838 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 27, 2017