User Reviews for Alesse

4.8

Ovarian Cysts

Summary of Alesse reviews 5.2 175 reviews

Reviews for Alesse

For Birth Control "I started taking alesse for really bad cramps that left me immobile and missing my classes. After being on the pill for 2 months I've had the lightest periods I've ever had. Only downside is that my mood dropped considerably"

Z (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 4, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve been on this birth control for just over a year and while it is a good birth control, the symptoms are not letting up for me. Before starting the pill I had zero acne, but after starting and to this day I have cystic acne all over my face and it left scarring on my skin. I have waited for over a year for this to calm down but it shows no signs of stopping. I’m getting really fed up. It makes my periods regular and pain free which is wonderful, but the acne is really making me insecure. Other than the acne and mood swings, I have no other complaints."

Gabby (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 8, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I was prescribed this pill by my primary care physician. I complained to her about heavy/painful periods and bad acne, and just in general wanted to be on a birth control pill. Because Alesse is such a low dosage, she thought it would be good to start me on. If you have a history of bad acne or are wanting a pill to HELP with clearing up acne, do not take this pill. It is not good for acne. I have a history of acne and mine worsened a lot (tons of breakouts). However, I didn’t experience any other negative side effects; my periods were light & virtually painless. My friend is currently on this pill and she loves it—though she’s always had clear skin and has no complaints. I think it largely depends on the person. In all other ways it’s good, with minimal side effects. Just remember to give it a fair try; Side effects may subside after 3-6 months, and 1 month or less isn’t enough time to determine your body’s response to a Bc pill."

kat November 2, 2018

For Ovarian Cysts "I’ve been taking this birth control over a year now I have experience breaking out, having major anxiety that I can’t even go out in public anymore because it’s that bad! Major depression & having lack of confidence because of anxiety this birth control is no good it feels like it’s wrecking my life !"

Shae October 25, 2018

For Birth Control "I took this pill for 2 months and a half, never have been so sad and depressed, always nauseous after taking the pill, never had so many fight with my boyfriend because of the crazy mood swings. I don't recommend it at all. Also, had awful sleep patterns, slept awfully for all those months"

Sun October 25, 2018

For Birth Control "I’m a first time user and my doctor prescribed me Alesse. I’ve been on it for 5 months, debating on switching pills for the last 2. This pill caused me acne when my skin was basically almost perfect before and a little bit of weight gain. The only good it gave was some less bad cramps. But over all, would not recommend."

Mina (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 21, 2018

For Birth Control "I was taking this pill for the last 9 years. Didn’t really have any side effects for the first few years. In the last year I would wake up with blurred vision that would last for a good hour. I am now off this pill and my vision is much better. Also I started to get major cramps a week after I started a new pack plus spotting. I’m done with this pill and all BC pills"

Jo October 21, 2018

For Birth Control "I remember taking Alesse over 15 years ago and I believe I took it for about a year. I didn't have any bad side effects on it. I remember liking it. I would have continued taking it had my insurance not stopped carrying it. Afterwards I was given the generic equivalent which was Aviane."

Aliana94 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 20, 2018

For Birth Control "Feeling nauseous."

Kash (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 6, 2018

For Birth Control "I am a first time user of birth control, my doctor prescribed me Alesse. I’ve now been on it for two months. It has given me acne which I have never suffered with before.. two months ago my skin was flawless. Now I have pimples on my chin and a couple on my forehead that bleed. It gave me horrible nausea for the first two weeks to the point where I couldn’t eat. This pill sucks. Would not recommend to anyone. 2 months in and I’m not waiting the full 3."

Leigha October 6, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I started to take Alesse a little over 2 month ago and my period has not stopped! The breakthrough bleeding is ruining my life. Every single day I have what is like morning sickness, breast tenderness and feel sick to my stomach. GET OFF THIS PILL. oh and it caused me to breakout!"

karina (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2018

For Birth Control "I have been on Alesse 21 for 7 and a half years (about my entire sexual relationship with my now husband.) It is the only birth control I have ever been on and while it's done its job in preventing pregnancy (Hardly ever missed a pill,) I am coming off because of what it has done to my period. Over the last 3-4 years it has become so light that sometimes my period consists of spotting for 12 hours! And last month I didn't even get a period at all. Using tampons and sometimes even sex was becoming unbearably uncomfortable from the dryness as well my sex drive diminished significantly. I haven't been off for even a full cycle yet but I have yet to experience any adverse effects except for some bloating and mild mood swings. Has anyone else's period disappeared on alesse or another form of bc? It was basically the straw that broke the camels back for me."

Katie (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 3, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I started taking Alesse about 4 months ago and it is the first BC I've been on. I used to get very bad period cramps, to the point where I could barely function, and so far the pill has helped quite a bit. On the pill, my period lasts only 4 days long and the cramps are not nearly as bad as they used to be. I have not had any side effects at all and overall it has been very effective."

britney12 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 30, 2018

For Birth Control "I'm very concerned about this pill. My daughter has been experiencing severe leg cramps. Actually has a hard time walking and lasts for two days. Her hands swell and legs swell becoming very very heavy. She is in tears. Actually had blood work and her inflammatory markers were elevated. Anyone taking this pill. BE CAREFUL. Listen to your body and seek medical attention when needed. Don't wait. Reviewing reports about this medication I realize that all medications have side effects but this one is SCARY. Ladies do your research and let a friend know."

Concerned mom 2018 July 25, 2018

For Birth Control "Side effects: no sex drive, lump on my breast, weight gain and fatigue. I've been on Alesse for 6 years!! My dad's girlfriend was also on it and she said it made her fatigued and she got off of it and felt so much better. I am now trying Tri-Cyclen Lo and hoping it will help."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 18, 2018

For Birth Control "Switched from the mini pill to Alesse (I had been on it a few year before but not for long) in April 2017. I never missed a pill and was always taken them on time. July 23rd 2017 found out I was pregnant, while taking this pill. December 2017 rolls around and a recall issue is put out for it. So yeah, watch out for that. Pretty sad it didn’t get recalled until December."

Angel (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 14, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on Diane 35 for 10 years. Started getting migraines with Aura so my doctor said I should try Alesse and it could help with the migraines. Only took 2 pills of Alesse to know I couldn’t take it again. I’ve never had such severe migraine auras and had actual migraine pain that spread from the top of my face down to under the cheekbones. I’ve never felt that bad/ unwell in my life. I clearly had some sort of reaction I’m sure it doesn’t happen a lot. I definitely will not be continuing Alesse. I’ll have to figure out what to try next. But just wanted to share my experience in case it might help someone."

Lt1848472 (taken for less than 1 month) May 27, 2018

For Birth Control "Okay so this is the first time I have read these reviews because I was wondering why my sex drive has been unbelievably low and I just figured put it's this birth control. I have been taking It for months. I had extreme nausea anytime I thought about food and I sincerely didn't think it was this birthcontrol but since other women are having the same problem I think I've come to my conclusion. Do not take this birth control. Their website doesn't even have any information on the pill they sell."

Why (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 7, 2018

For Birth Control "I started taking Alesse 2 months ago when my other brand ran out. It has been HORRIBLE. I gained 15 pounds (the most I've ever gained in a short time span) I am horribly moody and I get extremely nauseous about 3 hrs after taking the pill. The nausea lasts for hours too. Even if I take the pill before bed, I feel sick the next morning. I have absolutely NO sex drive since starting, and Im constantly bloated. I do NOT recommend using!"

torontogirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2018

For Birth Control "Worst birth control I have ever taken BY FAR. Took it for 3 months (gave it a fair shot). Broke out in the worst cystic acne of my entire life. Zero sex drive. Prone to sadness. Can't wait to start a new pack of something else. Not for me."

Tiff (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2018

For Ovarian Cysts "Non stop bleeding for 3 months after having a regular period for 30+ years. Anxiety. depression. Headache, nausea. Increased facial hair, breast size and retained water. Would NEVER recommend. 3 days after I stopped taking it my mental health immediately stabilized but the "breakthrough bleeding" continues. Glad I survived this preposterous experiment . Should be a class action suit!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2018

For Birth Control "I wish I had read these review before going on this birth control. I was told by my doctor that it would improve my skin, although my reason for going on it was irregularity. I developed a skin rash due to this birth control, which I realized after a long struggle of trying different acne solutions. When I went off of it, I noticed an improvement in both my skin and my overall well-being. Would not recommend Alesse to anyone."

unsatisfied7 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 7, 2018

For Birth Control "Took alesse for 2 years because I never bothered to get a new pill and I’d always hope the side effects would stop. Became an emotional wreck, gained a lot of weight, however the little acne I have cleared up. Had insane nausea, vomiting at work, home, school..... gave me a lot of anxiety and etc. I’m sure that there are better options out there. Do not take this birth control."

Alexandra (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 4, 2018

For Birth Control "This is the worst pill ever!!!! It made my skin terrible. The doctor gave me the generic pill that was covered by insurance. I started in October 2016... a week later, I started breaking out all over my forehead. Then I gave the pill 3 months and saw no improvement, then gave it another 3 months and saw nothing. So 9 months in, I read online the Generic pill does not work as well as the brand pill. I stayed on the pill for another 6 months. If your skin does not improve in 3 months get off the pill! I got off the pill October 2017 and it’s March 2018 and I still am getting over the symptoms. This is a disgusting pill and trust me, I read reviews on every site and they say the same."

A23 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 1, 2018

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "This was for my cycle regulation. It was okay until my hair started shedding. Every time I ran my hand through it would come out with 5-7 hairs, bulb and all. My hairdresser noticed there was excessive shedding in the brush when I went, and I'm still sweeping up hairs all over my apartment, and picking them off everything. I also felt angrier and my anxiety intensified in the fourth month to the point where I couldn't control it, so I switched off. There was no weight gain, breast growth, etc, but it also didn't make my periods any less painful and they were still very heavy. I spotted the full first month, but it stopped in the second. My sex drive was increased, I had a breakout of a few cystic acne lesions in the third month. (Which was awful, because I never get acne) and it left some hyperpigmentation scarring. I wouldn't go back on it. Maybe it will work for some, I must just be sensitive to the progestin used in Alesse."

Lise February 22, 2018