User Reviews for Alesse

Learn more about Alesse.

Alesse Rating Summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 238 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Alesse to treat Birth Control

"I've been on Alesse for three months now, and although I haven't suffered any weight loss/gain, acne or nausea I have felt extremely fatigued and lethargic. Not to mention the fact that my period would randomly start halfway through when I still had 7 or 8 active pills left. And when my period did start I would suffer bouts of depression, crying for no reason, spending all day in bed and entertaining a few suicidal thoughts. I will be discontinuing use of Alesse and I plan to speak with my doctor about other alternatives. As a contraceptive the pills work, but they are not worth the side effects I was eduring"

Laila828 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2016

"I've only been on this pill for two days... That's why I gave it 5 stars and I know it's a bit rushed but oh boy. I've had an insane head ache all day. I also feel very nauseous, like I could throw up any minute. My heart is also pounding pretty fast and hard. Not sure what that's about but if it doesn't fix within a month I'll definitely be discontinuing this brand."

Hello!! August 5, 2016

"I've been on Aleese for over a year and a half. Side effects hit me hard. (I'm 21 years old) I had perfect skin my entire life (even through puberty) and after I commenced the pill the acne hit me like a ton of bricks. All forms of acne are on my face, and I've been using dermatologist products and services and they said it's a hormonal issue as to why the acne has gotten so horrible. The high androgen actually causes skin to get worse. So when people say birth control doesn't cause acne they are WRONG, cause this birth control DOES CAUSE ACNE. Not only did I get acne, I gained 15 pounds, breasts got larger (only plus side), severe nausea the week before my period, and began suffering depression. It's time to switch to another Birth Control"

SideEffectsGalore (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 4, 2016

"I've been on aleese a month now and it's been absolute hell. I'm not and emotional person under any means and eat like a full grown man usually but since starting this I haven't been able to eat at all because of the nausea and have had random uncontrollable mood swings. I've lost 10 lbs and every time I take one of these pills I get an instant headache. My period was hell aswell I got bad cramps for a week before and all during, this is not normal for me. My period also went from 4 days to 7 which really ticked me off. It cause my acne to get far worse and scar like I've never had before.Not only this but my anxiety levels went through the roof, my depression did the same causing me suicidial thoughts and I hadABSOLUTELY no energy."

Anonymous August 1, 2016

"I have been on Alesse for 5 months now, and at the beginning it seemed to work effectively - regulating my periods, preventing pregnancy, as well as partially helping my acne. Although by the 3rd month I started getting my period before the placebo pills, and it became irregular again coming any time throughout the month... I'm now switching to a different pill, but all in all the pill was ok when it was working. Although my periods were irregular it still prevented pregnancy so thats great. Only thing is that I gained around 5 lbs, and it didn't help with cramps or lightening my period which is one of the reasons I went on it in the first place."

confused?? (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 21, 2016

"Alesse is NOT an appropriate birth control choice to help with hormonal acne. One of the main causes of hormonal acne is a rise is androgens (male hormones) which you do NOT need more of if you are experiencing hormonal acne (jawline, chin, cystic). I did not realize that Alesse had added androgens and went on it for just short of a month. Needless to say my face, back and chest area have broken out worse than being off birth control altogether. I am sure this is a great birth control option for some but keep in mind that it is probably not your best bet if your main focus is to decrease your acne. Hope this helps!"

k09 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 19, 2016

"I have been on this pill for over 20yrs. It's great. Never had any side effects or issues. Works perfectly. I take it continuously... No periods yupeee!!!"

Luvthispill (taken for 10 years or more) May 4, 2016

"I've been on alesse for 2 months now. I feel extremely tired all the time, even after drinking coffee and usually coffee makes me wired. I constantly feel bloated even when I haven't eaten anything. Then when I do eat something I feel like I'm about to throw up. I've noticed that I've gained a little bit of weight especially around my tummy/hips. My mood swings are all over the place (I'll cry and get cranky over the dumbest things ALL THE TIME)..Definitely would not recommend this birth control and plan to go off it asap."

Gabsssss May 3, 2016

"I have been taking the generic brand of Alesse since I had my baby! She's 11! This birth control works perfect for me! No side effects! "

Mickey81 (taken for 10 years or more) April 29, 2016

"I took Alesse as a birth control as well as to stop my acne. I used to get bad acne before my period and it recently started because before I didn't used to get acne. I'm 19 btw and just before the beginning of the school year I started getting this and the doctors suggested bc because it could be hormones and my acne wasnt that bad just a few on my forehead and cheeks but after I started taking Alesse it got really bad and I have super bad hyperpigmentation now that I didn't have before. I took it for about 5 months and stopped and now my acne is gone but the hyperpigmentation remains"

VainRose (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 20, 2016

"I've been on the generic of Alesse called Alesyna for about 3 years. I put on over 20 pounds with this BC going from 107-130. I have terrible anxiety and extreme exhaustion. For preventing pregnancy, it worked, but I did NOT enjoy gaining so much weight."

Alesyna/Alesse April 7, 2016

"Was on Alesse for 4 months but by the middle of the 4th month the breakthrough bleeding I would experience after the first week of the pills had not stopped. I would have my period for two weeks. In the first two months I experienced weight gain and a bit of nauseous and swelling of my breasts. However after about a week the nausea was gone and in the third month the no other side effects except bleeding were felt. I scored it so low because of all the breakthrough bleeding. No other side effects though once it was more regular to my body. I'm 18 btw:)"

Lyssa98 March 31, 2016

"Just quit Alesse after 4 months. I tried to tough it out but it just wasn't working. I was always hungry, then I would eat and feel constantly nautious and bloated. I had no energy and felt tired, always wanted to eat sweet stuff. Didn't really gain much weight, just water weight around my hips and boobs (those were constantly sore as well), such bad mood swings and depressed and anxious often. Got lots of headaches, acne got worse (cystic acne on my chin back and chest), and lower sex drive. This is my first day without birth control (period will start in a few days) and I can honestly say that I feel sooo much better, which is weird because Alesse is 'ultra low dose hormones'."

Alesse18373719 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2016

"I was skeptical after reading the many negative views but now I'm on month three and here's what I have to say (every body is different ps): The first month was hard. I broke out and got back-acne. I was exhausted to the point of fatigue (and a real weird eye twitch). I had a few moments of intense nauseousness. And a couple headaches. My first period week was rough - my energy levels depleted immensely and I was an emotional cry baby. My boobs grew a lot which was fabulous. And I even noticed my nails and skin (I have really dry, dry skin) and hair all strengthen and become healthier. By month three, everything resided and I feel back to normal. With healthier nails even ;) Give it time - at least the 3 months to see if it works!"

Anonymous March 22, 2016

"I started aleese near the end of November and within the first week I noticed RED itchy dots on my face. At first my doctor told me it was because of the foundation I was using . But once I got about 2 months into using this birth control I noticed a cycle with my face, terrible acne, itchy bumps and one of my eyes very red and swelled. I had very nice skin before this birth control , but the whole time using alesse my skin was FILLED with acne. Although it was very effective at preventing pregnancy, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone with sensitive skin. Once I stopped taking it a little over a week ago, I've had no problems with my skin"

Anonymous March 22, 2016

"For the first year I was on another brand(can't remember name) then my doctor switched me. The first 2 months of using it I started feeling exhausted, and extremely emotional-I'm not usually. About 4 weeks ago I ended up going to the hospital for difficulty breathing and such. The doctors misdiagnosed it and sent me off. After 2 weeks I went back with a very swollen leg and very painful. Turns out this birth control caused a massive blot clot in my groin area, and those breathing problems were mini blood clots going through my lungs and heart. All thanks to this brand."

Anonymous March 10, 2016

"I've been on this birth control for about 2-3 years I would say, it is great for preventing pregnancy, but it has made my period weird, it stopped my period for 5 months, and stressed the hell out of me, I do feel incredibly tired taking this pill, and my sex drive isn't as high as it use to be before this pill. I'm deciding I'll probably be going off this pill."

Anonymous1111111111 March 7, 2016

"I've been on alesse for 2 months now, going on my third month. This pill is not so bad, no weight gain/ acne/ or mood swings. But I'm experiencing chronic fatigue on this pill, when I am on my period week I feel soo much better. Everything else is really great, but I'm not sure how much longer I will stay on this. I can't live my life with exhaustion it makes me lose desire for things I normally love, coffee fixes it a little but it is still there, I would rather have the old me back, or maybe switching my birth control? But it's a good birth control other than that ( you will find nothing perfect out there)"

Not.sure.what.to.think (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 16, 2016

"I've been on alesse 2 months now, I find this pill is pretty good; except the first month I bled the whole time, then it went away. I have not gained weight or had mood swings or acne which is great, but It's like now I have chronic fatigue... Coffee only fixes it so much, but everything else is great."

Jen.xo (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 9, 2016

"I was taken off of Yaz and put onto this because it was causing me migraines with aura. I have been on it for a couple years now I'd say. I never really noticed it until my boyfriend mentioned to me how I never am "in the mood" anymore. We used to have a very steady sex life together and now maybe 1 time a month. I went to the doctor a while ago and she ran blood tests on me and they came back that my iron is severely low. I've never had that before until I started taking this pill. I also seem to get angry very and upset easily. I'm not saying that's the pills fault but I was never like that before I started taking it. I started getting regular headaches again, so my Doctor switched me to a different brand that I have yet to try."

Anonononononononon February 3, 2016

"First time using alesse been gaining weight like crazy my mood swings are all over the place my period been starting a week early so now my period lasts about 2 weeks. This pill is definitely not for me"

lisa January 31, 2016

"I have been on Aleese for 8 years. This birth control is great for preventing pregnancy and regulating my menstrual cycle. It also helped my menstrual cycle be lighter. Unfortunately, this birth control does lower your sex drive. I went off it and my sex drive came back full force and plan to go off it permanently."

Katie82 January 30, 2016

"Alesse has been working really well for me. In the last month I've gained 3 lbs in what I believe to be water weight, as I feel quite bloated. Either way I can easily work 3 lbs off. I have been a bit nauseous on it as I take Alesse in the morning, but nothing unmanageable. I haven't had any spotting. I've had a bit of breast tenderness, but nothing that bothers me. I have been a bit tired, so I just have a little extra coffee in the morning. Overall I've had a good experience so far with Alesse."

Amy Zd January 28, 2016

"It is only my fifth day on this medication, and I have only had a tiny bit of nausea. No headaches or anything like that. But I have a long list of mental health problems, and I dont know if I am just having an episode, or if this medication is causing the depression, anxiety and suicidal thoughts to be so strong. I am stuck. Prior to this medication I was taking seasonal, and it was my favorite birth control. You only got your period every three months (which I would even skip sometimes), but I ended up constantly having break through bleeding after being on it for over a year. I've tried others. But now I'm trying Alesse. And so far its not going well even the slightest bit. I cant handle the intensity of this emotional breakdown lol."

kaylamay (taken for less than 1 month) January 12, 2016

"I'm on day 9 on Alesse so far, not very far into it yet but so far I really like Alesse. I was so badly traumatized from my first birth control experience as a teen it scared me to go on birth control again. Yasmin was really bad for depression and weight gain I didn't like it. Now I am married with children and wanted to try something else again, Alesse is low dose so I figured maybe it might be different this time , it's way better! My mental health is extremely important, I feel a little tired on this pill but only minor, I will update again to see how it continues, so far so great."

Jen.xo (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2016