User Reviews for Alesse to treat Birth Control

Alesse has an average rating of 5.2 out of 10 from a total of 176 ratings for the treatment of Birth Control. 31% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 39% reported a negative effect.

Alesse Rating Summary

5.2/10 average rating

Compare all 278 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Alesse

JJ · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 9, 2019

“I was terrified reading the reviews online of Alesse, but the experience wasn’t nearly as bad as I was expecting. I didn’t have any of the horrible side effects and I never got pregnant. I did however have breakthrough spotting that didn’t go away after the first few months. I kept hoping it would go away but it didn’t, so after 9 months on this birth control I decided to switch. Other than that, everything was great. My boobs grew but not much. Don’t let the online reviews scare you, everyone’s body’s are different! Most of my friends took this birth control and had no issues as well.”

Lori · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 7, 2020

“I am in love with this birth control Alesse! It is the first one I have ever taken and I went on it because I would get such bad acne all over my cheeks especially around my period. There was never a time where my skin was clear and when it was better it would still have a bunch of scars until it would get horrible again. In the first week my skin got a little better, there was a little bit of cramping and mood swings but not too bad, in the second week it was breaking out (but not nearly as bad as the worst its been) and then in the 3rd week, almost perfect just scars to heal up. I'm on just over a month and my skin is literally perfect, just a couple scars left to heal and now and they can actually heal because my face isn't going to have another huge breakout the next day anymore!”

LoriCakes25 September 29, 2014

“When I first began birth control years ago, they put me on one that made me so moody, depressed, killed my libido and changed my personality, it felt. I went back to my doctor and tried several different pills and eventually I tried Alesse since it was low dose and I didn't have any negative side effects! I was always regular, but have always had bad cramps. This cut them back and made my periods short. I didn't get any unusual acne, or weight gain. If anything I lost weight. And it not only increased my libido, it made my O very strong and last longer. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this. But I just loved it! I got off it after my divorce, but I will never use any other pill again. I've tried too many and this one is for me.”

Nat · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 24, 2021

“Honestly I don’t know where to start. This is month 2 of taking the Alesse pill btw my first ever birth control. I have been so moody for the past month and at this point everyone irritates me which this has never happened. I have bad acne before this but Lord help me it’s gone from bad to worse. I sometimes get a sharp stab in my chest which scares me so bad. I cry for no reason and smallest of things tick me off. Now I’m stopping this pill today because it’s not worth dying from it. It’s obviously not working for me but could work for someone else but just a heads up be careful”

Anonymous January 15, 2010

“I have been on Alesse for 4 years and am very pleased. Before I was on Alesse I was naturally very moody and my periods were heavy, long, and painful. When I started this pill my mood swings evened out and my period not only got less painful but shortened to only 3 days. I was a little concerned about how quickly I would get pregnant when my husband and I decided it was time but no worries there. I came off the pill New Years 2009 and was pregnant by Valentines. It is now January 2010 and I'm holding a beautiful baby girl. I plan on going back on Alesse as soon as possible.”

Hotdog March 12, 2019

“Since Alesse was my first birth control I was put on, I was super nervous and anxious about how it would effect me. Now being on it 3 months I can happily say I’ve not been negatively impacted. The first week was rough, with nausea and increased anxiety. But after the first week any symptoms went away! I feel myself and I’m super happy I’m not pregnant!”

Cici115 February 1, 2014

“I've been taking Alesse for 6 years. It's the only birth control I have ever used. And I love it. I've never had problems with it before. My periods are predictable, very light and regular. I don't experience mood swings, or any major cramping on the pill either. It controlled my acne as well. I would suggest Alesse to every girl.”

Mel · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 10, 2019

“Avoid this birth control if you can. This was my first time going on birth control and my doctor prescribed it because it apparently was a good "starter birth control". But the side effects were terrible. I had the common ones, headaches, nausea, etc. But the worst of all was that it gave me TERRIBLE anxiety, on top of depression. I got into a really dark place and was getting around 1-3 anxiety attacks per week. I also experienced terrible leg cramping, to the extent that I paid the hospital a visit because it was so bad and there was the fear that it may be a blood clot. There are so many better birth control options out there.”

Katie · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 3, 2018

“I have been on Alesse 21 for 7 and a half years (about my entire sexual relationship with my now husband.) It is the only birth control I have ever been on and while it's done its job in preventing pregnancy (Hardly ever missed a pill,) I am coming off because of what it has done to my period. Over the last 3-4 years it has become so light that sometimes my period consists of spotting for 12 hours! And last month I didn't even get a period at all. Using tampons and sometimes even sex was becoming unbearably uncomfortable from the dryness as well my sex drive diminished significantly. I haven't been off for even a full cycle yet but I have yet to experience any adverse effects except for some bloating and mild mood swings. Has anyone else's period disappeared on alesse or another form of bc? It was basically the straw that broke the camels back for me.”

Mademmtl · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 29, 2013

“I used to take Diane 35 from age 20-25 and my new doctor in a new city convinced me to start taking Alesse recently. I've been taking it for two months now and I have experienced spotting basically every single day since I started, sometimes light spotting, sometimes heavy, and it only stopped for one or two days. I can't find anyone else who has had this same experience so far - might have to change to a different pill. I'm hesitant to do that though because one very good side effect from Alesse has been a reduction in appetite for me! I haven't had aching breasts or acne yet. My moods also have seemed pretty fine. I just want to stop spotting every day.”

da92 · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 1, 2012

“I am 20 have been using Alesse for about 2 years now. Good: no pregnancies, lighter, predictable periods with no cramping whatsoever (HUGE plus), no weight gain. Bad: I am completely insane on this pill, extreme mood swings, never happy always in a lulled state of lazy depression, brought to tears by every and anything, constantly tired, no motivation, really low sex drive. Horrible: My skin is at a point where I don't even want to step outdoors and be seen by people! Worst breakouts I have ever had, and perpetual yeast infections. The yeast infections, laziness and diminished sex drive basically erase the need for a birth control pill anyway. Very unhappy.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 12, 2013

“I'm 18 years old, I started taking the pill about a month ago. At first, due to the sudden change of hormones, I had a horrible breakout of acne on my face, and I was very emotional and bitter at first. But my first period since being on it was much shorter than my usual periods. Normally my periods last a full week, but this one only lasted about 3-4 days or so. So right away my period got lighter with tolerable and few cramps, as opposed to my normal constant excruciatingly painful cramps that would sentence me to a day or two on the couch with a hot water bottle and some Aleve. My face has cleared since and my emotions are back to normal. I definitely recommend this pill!”

SharkWeek405 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 13, 2014

“I've been on Alesse twice, this time for 2 months so far. I've had no problems at all. I have polycystic ovarian syndrome and it's fixed my period so far. My complexion is getting better, I've had no unusual depression or anxiety and I haven't gained additional weight. ”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 2, 2012

“I have been on Alesse for 6 years now and I have never had a single problem. I had a little bloating and discomfort when I first started on the birth control, but that is normal. I have since then had a lighter period (approx. 4 days) it has also came at the same time EVERY single month. I have never had a late or early period that is not counting around the time of my grad when I was extremely stressed and it was because of the stress that my period came late that month. It is nice to be able to see reviews on this product, because my fiance and I are getting married next year and we plan to try to have children shortly after that, so now I know that it isn't a problem. I would recommend this birth control!”

kaytzz August 22, 2017

“I've been on Alesse for three months now, half way through third pack. I've been been getting my period half way threw the active pills. This has been happening ever month like clock work. It usually ends around the time I start taking the sugar pills. I'm curious if this is happening to anyone else.”

azn gurl · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 15, 2014

“I've been on Alesse for 6 months without problems. I gained a cup size and maintained my weight. No mood swings. No spotting. TAKE NOTE OF THE BRAND AT YOUR PHARMACY THOUGH! Often times they prescribe you a generic brand even IF your doctor wrote Alesse. I had noticed this and spoke to my pharmacist. And got the name brand.”

B February 13, 2021

“To be honest, I really liked taking this pill. Only stopping because I get aura migraines and can't take estrogen because of the stroke risk. I was only on the pill for 2 months, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but here's my experience: I was a little emotional for the first 2 weeks, acne around my jaw for the first month, and I feel like my bowels were off a little at first too. Just a bit constipated and bloated, but that also adjusted over time. Acid reflux flared up a bit easier too. My boobs looked GREAT which I loved, and I was super relieved that it didn't make me super emotional like other ones I have tried. My periods were lighter and less cramps. And I actually got my period on time, and I have always been irregular. Weight stayed the same, sex drive stayed the same (if anything I think that my bigger boobs put me in the mood more lol), overall I had a good time taking this and wish I could stay on it!!”

Ivy1256 March 31, 2015

“This has been my first form of birth control and so far so good! I researched reviews on this one which freaked me out. Turns out, I had nothing to worry about. I haven't had any nausea, headaches or mood changes. I have been on it for about 2 weeks so things could change but I like it a lot so far. Also, the type of hormones in this pill do provide the lowest chance of more serious side effects like blood clots. This was something that was nice to know since I was so worried about those chances (even though I had no reason to be). Everyone is different but just give it a chance! It's not as bad as you think it might be and if it is, you can always change pills! Hope this helps those who are worried about starting BC :)”

H.T · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 16, 2020

“This pill was the worst. I broke out in acne all over my body. My breasts were so swollen and tender and the bloat never ever ever went away. Ever; don’t even ask about the weight gain. The only thing it did was avoid pregnancy. DO NOT TAKE THIS. Find another pill.”

OzmaJin November 13, 2013

“My favorite birth control by far! I have had no side effects other than a minimized monthly period. I've tried other birth controls, included Ortho tri-cyclen low, Desogen, and Microgestin Fe, and Alesse has worked the best for me.”

Cleo · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 11, 2020

“When I started taking Alesse the only side effects were feeling a bit nauseous for the first few days. I’ve now been on it for a month and a half and I’ve noticed increased mood swings, sadness, and irritability that I never experienced before taking Alesse. I’m also starting to experience a bit of depression (not sure if it’s related to birth control) I’ve gained a bit of weight and feel bloated/appetite has increased majorly. At times I also feel like my sex drive is lower. I’m going to continue until the 3rd pack, if I see no improvement consider switching to a non hormonal birth control.”

JuneDee April 5, 2013

“The only positive thing about Alesse is that it does its job at preventing pregnancy. I've been on Alesse since January & it has noticeably affected my mood. Before Alesse I was always calm, cool, collective & just easy going but now I get upset over things that never bothered me before. I'm sensitive to almost everything now. I thought it was me but after reading the reviews and talking to my doctor it's definitely Alesse that's causing me to be this way. Its causing me to overreact and do rash things which is not in my nature. Its ruining my relationship with my boyfriend. And its also causing me to be mean at work towards my coworkers. After I finish my last pack I'm going to switch to a different pill.”

Kate · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 16, 2020

“At the beginning on Alesse I had no side effects! My acne was clearing and my periods were light and short. After been on this for 2 years I have noticed my anxiety and stress get really bad. I never really stressed about anything that bad or cry that much, but I feel like the slightest thing will cause me to cry. I also started to experience a lot of bloating and stomach aches.”

Anonymous October 24, 2012

“This was the first pill my doctor perscribed me when I started on birth control and I only took it for one month because of the side effects. I had spotting the first week, acne worsened and my moods were absolutely uncontrollable. During the third week of my pack I cried every day at little things that would normally not phase me. I stopped the pill before I even finished the month because of how out of control I felt. This was not a good first experience for me and made me skeptical to try any other pills.”

Sovia · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 1, 2014

“I was put on Alesse 28, it's the first birth control I've been on and my overall experience has been good. When I first went on it I could barely keep my hands of my boyfriend but I blame it mostly on having a slight hormone imbalance. I also experienced an increase in breast size but I was told that it was a possible side effect. Then I missed a pill and even though I followed procedure it triggered my period. Then after that I kept spotting and was getting really frustrated. It would stop for a couple days then start up again for a couple days, then it magically stopped and I didn't have any problems after that. I found out later that you can have spotting within the first three months. Other then that I have less acne and lighter periods.”