User Reviews for Alesse

Learn more about Alesse.

Alesse Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 248 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Alesse to treat Birth Control

"I'm 24 and this is my first ever contraceptive pills. Taking it for a month now. I don't have problem aside from gaining weight and I'm emotional but not this much since I started this pill. I'm happy that my acne slowly fading, my cramps is not severe than the last one I had and don't have problem at all. I've noticed that my breast is gaining some extra fat too. Lol "

Nickoleta (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 15, 2017

"I've been using Alesse since April of 2016. It works as a contraceptive and my skin is clear, my moods are in check, my periods are much lighter now and it is also the first contraceptive that I have used. However, I have noticed lately that I'm hungry ALL the time. In fact, food is all that I think about some days which has caused me to gain almost 20lb in the past near-year I've used it. I'm not sure yet if this is due to the pills or if it is due to stress or something else, but otherwise alesse works."

vttox January 6, 2017

"I hated this bcp. I gained 15 pounds in two weeks, and I was depressed and crying all the time. It also gave me chin acne, which I never have."

Asii January 3, 2017

"I'm 19, and this is the first birth control I've ever tried. I started taking it 3 months ago, for contraceptive purposes. The first week was a nightmare. I had the absolute worst stomach pain, cramping, bloating and nausea I've ever had in my life. I was crying my eyes out because I felt so awful, and I couldn't sleep at night. I kept taking it, and that side effect went away after a week. I had a little bit of spotting over the first month, but that's long gone now. I've always had extremely horrible periods. They were so heavy, I was anemic, I had to use both pads AND tampons at the same time, and I had to change them every 30 minutes. They're so much lighter now, and my formerly debilitating cramps are almost non-existent."

Susanne1996 November 26, 2016

"Alesse 28 is the first birth control pill my doctor prescribed and the only pill I have ever taken and is still currently taking. I chose to go on the pill because I believe it is best option and the most convenient for me to prevent pregnancy while regulating my period. My average period cycle is 36-39days and tends to be irregular than most. I have been on the pill for almost 2 weeks now and so far, so good. My body seem to have adjusted well to Alesse 28. The only side effects I experienced were very mild headaches, and nausea during the first 2 days of starting the pill. I also experienced a little breast tenderness during the first week. But no mood swings, or weight gain/loss. Overall, great birth control pill."

CanadianGirl123 (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2016

"My skin was great before and after starting Alesse! I've had no weight gain and my periods are extremely light. I no longer need to use painkillers for menstrual pain and my moods have been stable."

kfiona November 9, 2016

"I have been using Alesse for a year now and I have a great skin, although I did have clear skin prior to Alesse. I have gained 10lbs. I haven't been able to pin point what is wrong with me so to speak, and after reading all of the reviews, I feel I have FINALLY targeted the issue. I have always been sensitive... but I have been EXTREMELY EMOTIONAL this past year, crying at the smallest things. I have been so emotional that I am currently suffering from depression. Yes, I did not get pregnant, but I don't believe this pill is worth the side effects!"

1Owow9wow9smzm9x9z November 2, 2016

"I've been on this pill for a year and I think I'm gonna stop taking it. Honestly not really happy with this pill! For someone who had relatively clear skin I got the worst acne from using it! Like little bumps all over my forehead and painful zits on my jawline and cheeks. Tried every possible skin care line and couldn't understand how I went from clear skin to a face full of acne... and now some acne scars too. Finally pinpointed it to Alesse being the cause. Also pretty sure I gained some weight while on it. Definitely don't recommend it!"

Cathy123456789 November 1, 2016

"This is my first birth control pill and I have been using it for 1 year and 3 months. Some info: 5'4, 120 pounds, 22 years old. I started using Alesse 28 on recommendation from my doctor because I have had irregular periods since I was 12. After several tests I am confirmed to have Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) which basically gave me major cystic acne, mild increase in body hair, and irregular periods (occurring 2-4 times a year). This pill has worked great for me: no pain, no depression/anxiety, no weight gain, light nausea couple times a month, no cystic acne (only occasional small pimples but this is normal for me as I have very oily skin). I get a light period and light discharge sometimes seven days before I stop taking the pill."

annie654 October 31, 2016

"I have been using Alesse for about a week now and in that short amount of time it has been absolute hell! This is my first time on birth control so I thought everything was going to be fine, but boy was I wrong. The first and second day were fine but on the third day I had a family event to go too and on the way there I began to feel disgustingly nauseous. I've only felt that nauseous when I had mono and after I got my tonsils out. It made me feel so incredibly sick that I ended up passing out on the couch at the family get together. I've also been having really intense migraines, they've been so debilitating that I've almost burst into tears, the only reason I didn't was because it would have hurt far too bad. Do not use this pill!!"

Kelsey H October 27, 2016

"NOT WORTH THE SIDE EFFECTS!! Seriously. My GP gave me Alesse because she had some packets that were sent to her for free. I thought "Hey why not" and took them. Well, second month was the worst. Gained probably 10lbs because I was constantly hungry. Became lethargic and it made me more depressed. That went away in the third month. Then the acne started. As someone who was on accutane and had relatively pimple-less skin, this pill brought up old wounds. Turns out this pill which is often persrcibed to TREAT acne, is one of the worst BC that causes acne. My skin is now 10x more oily and i have painful zits on my cheeks, chin and lips. Also my boobs have gotten bigger which I hate. The pill also causes me really bad cramps & my period was off."

Alyyy (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2016

"20 yr old female here, I was put on Alesse for acne & contraceptive purposes. Acne runs in my family. My mom had it really badly until she was about 21. I was on tri-cyclen lo but it made me feel sick in the mornings. So Alesse was pretty bad. I was on it for (just under) a year. I didn't get pregnant even though I never used a condom with my boyfriend. It helped my acne somewhat except I got cystic flare-ups on my chin & small dots on my forehead during my period. I gained about 10lbs. Period cramps were still bad & lasted for days sometimes. MADE ME AN EMOTIONAL WRECK. I'd cry so easily & felt unusually depressed/anxious. I believe I have too much testosterone in my blood so Alesse might not have been strong enough"

made me an emotional mess October 13, 2016

"This birth control was the worst experience of my life. It gave me horrible breakouts for an entire week during each month and I gained a significant amount of weight. I stayed on it hoping it would get better but it never did. I've finally switched brands and finally seen improvement in my skin."

Cheergirl (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 12, 2016

"I've been on this pill for less than a month and it's been awful - I wanted to see if it would help lessen the duration and heaviness of my period but I'm terrified that it's going to make it worse - my ance has been out of control this past month on my other pill I would get the occasional pimple around the start of my period but this is just ridiculous I've been experiencing cramps and digestive problems all month and didn't think it would be the pill but I'm switching back to yaz this stuff sucks"

TDOTNB September 28, 2016

"The first day I took alesse I felt perfectly normal. The next day I instantly felt nauseous and tired. The third day and 3 days after I had severe migraines that never seemed to go away even after taking 2 400mg advils. The migraines went away for a week but came back this week for another dreadful 4 days. Couldn't handle it anymore and went to my doctor who advised me to stop taking the pills and wait a week to see if the migraines continue without the use of alesse. Hopefully I just need to change brands of birth control to better suit me! I'm sure it's a great birth control just wasn't for me!"

N.W September 15, 2016

"I use Alesse for my acne, I didn't have that bad acne but I started 3 months ago and my acne got worse since then and won't totally clear up. Some days my face is not that bad and sometimes it's bad and it bothers me since before taking this pill my acne was controllable. I think this product is not that helpful for acne, well that's just for me but I don't know about others, everyone is different and has different skin."

Joannakns August 29, 2016

"I've been on Alesse for three months now, and although I haven't suffered any weight loss/gain, acne or nausea I have felt extremely fatigued and lethargic. Not to mention the fact that my period would randomly start halfway through when I still had 7 or 8 active pills left. And when my period did start I would suffer bouts of depression, crying for no reason, spending all day in bed and entertaining a few suicidal thoughts. I will be discontinuing use of Alesse and I plan to speak with my doctor about other alternatives. As a contraceptive the pills work, but they are not worth the side effects I was eduring"

Laila828 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2016

"I've only been on this pill for two days... That's why I gave it 5 stars and I know it's a bit rushed but oh boy. I've had an insane head ache all day. I also feel very nauseous, like I could throw up any minute. My heart is also pounding pretty fast and hard. Not sure what that's about but if it doesn't fix within a month I'll definitely be discontinuing this brand."

Hello!! August 5, 2016

"I've been on Aleese for over a year and a half. Side effects hit me hard. (I'm 21 years old) I had perfect skin my entire life (even through puberty) and after I commenced the pill the acne hit me like a ton of bricks. All forms of acne are on my face, and I've been using dermatologist products and services and they said it's a hormonal issue as to why the acne has gotten so horrible. The high androgen actually causes skin to get worse. So when people say birth control doesn't cause acne they are WRONG, cause this birth control DOES CAUSE ACNE. Not only did I get acne, I gained 15 pounds, breasts got larger (only plus side), severe nausea the week before my period, and began suffering depression. It's time to switch to another Birth Control"

SideEffectsGalore (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 4, 2016

"I've been on aleese a month now and it's been absolute hell. I'm not and emotional person under any means and eat like a full grown man usually but since starting this I haven't been able to eat at all because of the nausea and have had random uncontrollable mood swings. I've lost 10 lbs and every time I take one of these pills I get an instant headache. My period was hell aswell I got bad cramps for a week before and all during, this is not normal for me. My period also went from 4 days to 7 which really ticked me off. It cause my acne to get far worse and scar like I've never had before.Not only this but my anxiety levels went through the roof, my depression did the same causing me suicidial thoughts and I hadABSOLUTELY no energy."

Anonymous August 1, 2016

"I have been on Alesse for 5 months now, and at the beginning it seemed to work effectively - regulating my periods, preventing pregnancy, as well as partially helping my acne. Although by the 3rd month I started getting my period before the placebo pills, and it became irregular again coming any time throughout the month... I'm now switching to a different pill, but all in all the pill was ok when it was working. Although my periods were irregular it still prevented pregnancy so thats great. Only thing is that I gained around 5 lbs, and it didn't help with cramps or lightening my period which is one of the reasons I went on it in the first place."

confused?? (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 21, 2016

"Alesse is NOT an appropriate birth control choice to help with hormonal acne. One of the main causes of hormonal acne is a rise is androgens (male hormones) which you do NOT need more of if you are experiencing hormonal acne (jawline, chin, cystic). I did not realize that Alesse had added androgens and went on it for just short of a month. Needless to say my face, back and chest area have broken out worse than being off birth control altogether. I am sure this is a great birth control option for some but keep in mind that it is probably not your best bet if your main focus is to decrease your acne. Hope this helps!"

k09 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 19, 2016

"I have been on this pill for over 20yrs. It's great. Never had any side effects or issues. Works perfectly. I take it continuously... No periods yupeee!!!"

Luvthispill (taken for 10 years or more) May 4, 2016

"I've been on alesse for 2 months now. I feel extremely tired all the time, even after drinking coffee and usually coffee makes me wired. I constantly feel bloated even when I haven't eaten anything. Then when I do eat something I feel like I'm about to throw up. I've noticed that I've gained a little bit of weight especially around my tummy/hips. My mood swings are all over the place (I'll cry and get cranky over the dumbest things ALL THE TIME)..Definitely would not recommend this birth control and plan to go off it asap."

Gabsssss May 3, 2016

"I have been taking the generic brand of Alesse since I had my baby! She's 11! This birth control works perfect for me! No side effects! "

Mickey81 (taken for 10 years or more) April 29, 2016