User Reviews for Alesse-28

Alesse-28 has an average rating of 4.5 out of 10 from a total of 43 ratings on Drugs.com. 22% of those users who reviewed Alesse-28 reported a positive effect, while 46% reported a negative effect.

Birth Control   4.8
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding  Off-label 1.0
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome  Off-label 1.0
Summary of Alesse-28 reviews 4.5 43 reviews

Reviews for Alesse-28

Jlt · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 23, 2021

For Birth Control: “I have been taking Alesse-28 for a month now and it’s been a really bad experience. I would constantly have headaches and nausea. Breast are sore, I feel tired all the time and moody. Also, I’m still waiting on my period I took a pregnancy test I am not pregnant so I’m not sure what’s going on. I’m going to stop taking these pills they are horrible.”

L · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 2, 2021

For Birth Control: “I'm currently on my third pack of the generic version Alysena 28 and there are basically no side effects for me anymore. I did have spotting like everyday for the whole first pack when I started it but that went away. Also I think it increased my anxiety a bit for the first few months but that also went away. The only things I still notice are headaches on the placebo pills and sore boobs but other than that its good, just takes some time getting used to. Also this was just my experience and it affects everyone differently!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 27, 2021

“I started Alesse-28 for birth control related reasons, and to see if it would clear my mild acne (I noticed no difference in my skin). I was on this pill for 2 months, but I couldn't bring myself to keep going with it because of the side effects. It made me nauseous almost every day, especially after meals. It got to the point where I was terrified of eating out, and that fear stuck with me for the first few months after stopping this pill. It did its job for me though (I didn't get pregnant) but the nausea was a dealbreaker for me. I have now had the Kyleena IUD for 7 months, and it has reacted SO much better with my body. However, I have friends who take Alesse-28 and have had no problems with it, so everybody reacts differently to hormonal birth control. Keep that in mind when choosing the right one for you!”

why women · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 22, 2021

For Birth Control: “The first year on Alesse-28 I had no symptoms. Year two I noticed thinning of my hair and now have a small bald spot in the front hairline. My boobs are tender and my sex drive is lower. The hair loss is the worst. I'm going to try a progesterone only pill. I hope my hair grows back...”

Liz · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 19, 2021

For Birth Control: “Was terrible. Gained 10 pounds, started having panic attacks, boobies grew so much it gave me stretch marks, was always crying. Go on this birth control if u feel like ruining ur life for a bit :)”

B · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 4, 2020

For Birth Control: “I’ve been taking this birth control Alesse-28 for about 4 years now. At first it was great. I did notice weight gain, every three months I found my period would go from heavy to light and then my boobs would become extremely sore on the third month. Extreme mood swings, depressed. Since May of this year my periods have been almost non existent sometimes I’ll have some spotting. I’m not pregnant. My stress has increased. I am a university student but had major life changes so not sure if the increase stress is what is causing the missed periods. Last month my period did last for about three days. I’ve had to go onto an antidepressant recently as well. I’m currently trying to switch pills as I cannot stand the missed periods and worrying every single month if I’m pregnant. As much as I like light periods I would like to have at least something so I don’t have a heart attack.”

Jay · Taken for less than 1 month November 28, 2020

For Birth Control: “I went on Alesse a week ago and the day after I started I was terribly nauseous, which I thought was normal cause my body was adjusting. The next day I had a terrible anxiety attack and felt like there was literally a grey cloud over my head for the next several days. I cried every 10 minutes, I barely had an appetite, and I overall just felt so on edge at all times. I didn’t want to live like that and just wanted some peace. Once I realized that the happy girl in me was gone the second I started taking birth control, I stopped right away. I will be seeing my gynaecologist and hopefully there’s something out there for me but I strongly advise you to stay away from this pill.”

Becca · Taken for less than 1 month November 7, 2020

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: “I had taken this birth control last year and decided to get off of it for almost a year. I didn't experienced any side effects and my periods were coming regularly. I've been put back on it and it's been about 2 weeks now. However, I'm experiencing side effects that seem rather detrimental to my health. Every time I take my pill for the day, I experience chest pain and arm warmness. I was also experiencing horrible back pain on my left side for the first few days. I'm gonna discontinue taking it”

123d45 October 14, 2020

For Birth Control: “The only negative side effect I get is that it makes me dryer than a desert down below when I'm extremely turned on, I wonder if that will ever go away as its affecting my sex life right now.”

V · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 17, 2020

For Birth Control: “I have been on Alysena (100 µg of levonorgestrel and 20 µg of ethinyl estradiol) for almost 3 months now and I have really noticed a significant change in my mood. I used to be really happy and have lots of energy and lately Ive been feeling depressed and get anxiety at least 1-2 every week. I easily get annoyed and irritated and I just don't feel like myself. Everyone will react different from this birth control but its just not a great experience for me.”

oolong · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 31, 2020

For Birth Control: “I was on the pill for over a year until it started giving me terrible migraines. My cramps got worse on this pill but periods were regular”

Ina · Taken for less than 1 month May 18, 2020

For Birth Control: “Its been a week I have been using the Alesse -28 pill I have no bad side effects. My breasts got bigger I started getting a few bumps on my face not sure it’s because of the pill hopefully not...hope this month goes well”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 6, 2020

For Birth Control: “I've been taking this pill for about 8 months now. My periods have been noticeably different. They almost always come on time, they are heavy for 1-2 days and then are extremely light for the rest of the week. My cramps are not painful anymore, and my acne on my back cleared up nicely. (I didn't have much acne any where else in the first place). However, I have been having abnormal discharge that I've associated with the pill. I'm not 100% sure, but the timing adds up. Otherwise it's been a good experience.”

A · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 3, 2020

For Birth Control: “Can honestly say this has ruined my life and I wish I never took it. I was only on it for 4 months and I'm still affected by it almost 4 years later: headaches, lightheadedness, irritation, weight gain, and most dramatically: inability to orgasm. This has made my life an emotional roller coaster I have so little hope of ever being taken seriously or recovering from.”

Em · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 22, 2020

For Birth Control: “I’ve been taking this birth control Alesse-28 for over 3 years now. I was fine for the first year but then after that I was soo moody and irritable, always sad and depressed and very emotional. I have no energy at all, and I’m always tired. Another thing is that for some reason I get really bad leg cramps and am always constipated. Something else that I have experienced is weight gain, ovaries always hurt, and painful intercourse. Another awful side effect is that I have ZERO sex drive and vaginal dryness! One good thing about this birth control is that it cleared up all my acne, but other than that it’s definitely not worth the side effects.”

Sophie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 12, 2020

For Birth Control: “I’ve tried Alesse two times and it gave me terrible nausea every single morning. It also made me terribly moody and sad. Ever since I’ve started it, I’ve been really irritated and kept starting fights with my boyfriend with whom I didn’t fight much before starting this medication. On the other hand, I’ve never had a pregnancy scare while I was taking Alesse.”

CJ · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 1, 2020

For Birth Control: “I have mixed opinions on this birth control pill Alesse-28. The first few months I was on it there were no issues and it has worked as birth control, but my doctor assured me it would lighten my flow. It has in fact increased it and I still get cramps every month. I bleed through super tampons in an hour. I've had pregnancy scares as my periods have been late multiple times despite me taking it perfectly. Lately I've been getting extremely over emotional on this pill and it has worsened my mental condition. I will be asking to be taken off this pill.”

D · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 25, 2020

For Birth Control: “I’ve only been on Alesse-28 for a month now and I’ve already decided to stop. Literally it has been the worst month of my LIFE. Extreme moodiness, acne, borderline depression and a non-existent sex drive are just the tip of the iceberg! I understand that everyone’s body is different and pills won’t have the same effects for everyone but honestly save yourself the trouble and DON’T use Alesse.”

yayayaya February 26, 2020

For Birth Control: “I've been on this pill Alesse -28 since I was 17 and I am 21 now, at first it was really good I had bad acne on my cheeks and long heavy periods. I think now that my body is changing I am getting acne on my chin and I get bad headaches before my period, none-rarely any sex drive and I cry literally at everything (especially the week before my period) I did love this birth control at first but now I don't think it's working for me anymore.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 7, 2019

For Birth Control: “The first couple of months of taking this pill I had no side effects or abnormal bleeding. I’ve been taking the pill for nine months now, my acne has completely cleared and my period is very light. As far as side effects go, this pill has definitely caused me to feel more depressed but has helped with my anxiety. Its done its job for preventing pregnancy, although I’ve always used condoms to be safe. I don’t recommend skipping the placebo pills to skip your period, as I did that and I had abnormal bleeding a couple weeks later which gave me a pretty big pregnancy scare. Overall, I would recommend to anyone to try going on this pill because everyone’s response to it will be different and it’s worth a try.”

davon · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 22, 2019

For Birth Control: “First and foremost, I was prescribed this by my family doctor as a way of preventing pregnancy and regulating my period. It has been 8 months since I have been on Alesse/AlySena regularly and I have missed 3 periods in a row. I’m not pregnant, but it did give me major scares and even though I revived NEGATIVE tests, constantly use condoms and haven’t had sex since late July (because I don’t have any sex drive) I still fear that I am pregnant. Other than that, I am on 2 other anti-depressants / anxiety medications to regulate my serotonin and anxiety and this could honestly be the reason as to why Alesse has been so crappy for me. Granted,I am in my first year of university and I attempt to take it at the same time every day however it may be a few hours late simply because it slipped my mind and this is the kind of birth control you can’t do that with. I am calling my doctor ASAP to get off of it and onto a new one that doesn’t give me a heart attack once a month.”

Elizabeth · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 15, 2019

For Birth Control: “Aleswse worked well for lightening periods and controlling PMS for four years. Had some irregular breakthrough bleeding a few times. I did get pregnant on this pill despite taking it perfectly. Worked fine for four years prior. May just not work well with me long term. Or may have unknown interactions causing failure.”

Mmmkay · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 21, 2019

For Birth Control: “I lost my sex drive entirely when I got on Alesse-28. I got yeast infections from the progesterone. I'm being switched to another type of birth control. However it was nice regulating my periods and having less bleeding. My boobs also grew a little.”

Maddie · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 18, 2019

For Birth Control: “I’ve been on Alysena-28 for almost 3 years & as far as using it as birth control, it has worked perfect! I did gain some weight & become a little more emotional after starting this pill which hasn’t been great but I had no other significant side effects like nausea. I never really had acne so my skin hasn’t changed much, maybe more pimples around the time of my period but that’s about it. My periods used to be pretty heavy & last about 6 days long, now they last about 4-5 days, they’ve gotten pretty light & I only cramp on the first day or so. I also use an app to track my period & after being on the pill, my periods have been very regular! There have been a couple of times where I had out of the ordinary spotting which made me worry that perhaps I was pregnant but my period had always come a few days afterwards. Overall, it works good for me!”

ay · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 29, 2019

For Birth Control: “I have been taking Alesse 28 for 4 months. Except for the fact that it prevents at a high rate pregnancy I don't like it at all. I have horrible mood swings since I've been taking it. This conclusion is not even biased because I didn't read any reviews before having these symptoms. I got it as a recommendation from the doctor. Once on it I feel constantly nervous, anxious, sad, mad for no reason, and when I'm happy I'm really happy. I don't take any other medication so I can only blame it on this pill. I think I will stop it asap. Just need to find an alternative”