User Reviews for EluRyng

Birth Control

Reviews for EluRyng

nosleeptillme · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 22, 2021

For Birth Control: “I’VE GAINED SO MUCH WEIGHT ON ELURYNG. I’m disgusted. My insurance forced me to be on the off NuvaRing and switch to this awful version of it called EluRyng. Within the last year of switching I’ve gained 30 pounds. I was skinny before, I had a high metabolism, as does all of my family. I was dumbfounded at my weight gain. I did bloodwork and assumed maybe I had a thyroid issue, nope. I ate good and worked out more, but continued to gain weight. I felt like I was swimming against the current. My body had erupted in stretch marks with the sudden gain, and I’ve cried too many times to count in frustration. After researching, it’s the EluRyng that’s caused this. I started gaining weight after I switched birth controls, nothing else has changed. And after seeing other reviews, I’m not alone in this. Please research fully before you decide to take this awful drug!”

mlash May 19, 2021

For Birth Control: “I was switched without knowing in the start of Jan 2020. A few months went by and I was having abdominal pain, moodiness, joint pain, and discomfort in my lower abdomen during sex. I spent the next year getting tested for a UTI almost every other month bc I was sure something was off. Nov 2020 I noticed my hair had been falling. Come Jan 2021 I put my ring in for the month and I woke up the next morning with horrible pain and SEVERE vaginal swelling. My body was trying to push the ring out I think, because the ring was pretty much sitting right at the opening. I removed the ring, felt a little better and the swelling went down. I went into the doctor the next day just to test 1 more time if it was a UTI. Its May and I'm still having abdominal pain, bleeding during sex, etc. A lot of people stopped using their rings 3ish months after prescribed, but I kept mine in for much longer. DONT USE ELURYNG. If you can't get the regular nuvaring brand anymore, just go ahead and get an IUD.”

Mom of 3 May 4, 2021

For Birth Control: “Extremely bloated, mood swings, break though bleeding. I was on nuvaring for 10 years no issues the generic is awful. Need to be taken off the market.”

Rain · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 7, 2020

For Birth Control: “Reading some of the negative reviews...I have to say I had the opposite experience. I felt horrible with the nuvaring, I had really bad headaches, mood swings, spotting, no sex drive and felt very tired. I was switched to this by the pharmacy and I thought I was finally getting used to the Nuvaring until I realized it was a different ring. Now, I’m not going to say they were no side effects with the eluryng but they were very mild, just some light spotting but not as bad as with the nuvaring. I think people with negative experiences are more likely to write reviews so I wanted to share my experience.”

K January 1, 2021

For Birth Control: “I have been on Nuvaring for 12 years. Nuvaring has completely helped my Endo and I have had no problems for years. Since I have been on Elyryng (How can we even trust this if they cant spell RING right?) I have had nonstop breakthrough bleeding, cramps, headaches, leg pain and numbness, and of course symptoms like tender boobs, bloating, even horrible stomach issues. I also noticed the coloration on the ring itself is not like Nuvaring. Nuvaring goes in clear and stays clear mostly for about 2 weeks, 3 weeks then starts to turn an off yellow color when the hormones fade and it's time for your period. This Eluryng will only stay clear for about a week and loose its hormones QUICKER which is WHY I think we are having all this breakthrough bleeding or off time periods! This is not okay!”

HR October 10, 2020

For Birth Control: “Greetings, for the ones having problems with Eluring, you can call your insurance, they add a note explaining you can’t tolerate the generic. I used this medicine as a substitute of Nuvaring, per my insurance. Physical: extreme ocular migraines for days, chronic fatigue, cystic acne, gained 30 pounds in 6 months. Vaginal smell and discharge even using the ring. Emotional: Executive dysfunction, Extreme anxiety, Overwhelmed feeling all the time. This interacted severely with my ADHD medicine (Vyvanse), I told my psychiatrist how I was feeling and he raised my dosage, it didn’t work. Now back in Nuvaring balancing the Eluring effects, I’m feeling the effects I felt taking Vyvanse for the first time, Eluring interrupted my psychiatric treatment. The extra drug interactions list doesn’t have information about this, this is a very dangerous effect that can get a person to a really bad place. This medicine needs to be recalled, is dangerous.”

Katie · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 6, 2020

For Birth Control: “I was on this for 3 months (I ususally have nuvaring and they didn’t tell me they changed it) but I've had the worst 3 months of my life. I’ve gained weight, gotten stretch marks everywhere even tho my weight gain wasn’t significant, I’ve had horrible headaches, missed my period all 3 months. I’ve been so anxious and moody, tired all the time. The other night I started having horrible heart palpations and I ended up having a panic attack and throwing up. I felt like my heart was going to explode. I thought I was insane, so I googled the birth control because there was no other cause and I read all these and I took my ring out a week early. I’m already starting to feel more normal. This shouldn’t be legal. I went and bought the nuva ring out of pocket the other day for $177. I’m lucky I can afford it, it’s ridiculous that Insurance will put women through this to save a couple bucks”

Nuvaring only for me · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 7, 2020

For Birth Control: “Thank you for validating something is different with the generic for Nuvaring. I was on the brand Nuvaring for over 10 years up until February 2020. I was surprised when I received my mail order delivery that the packing looked different-generic ring. I never had any issues with the Nuvaring until I started the generic. I had intermittent spotting for the first month, felt bloated, and didn’t start my cycle on time. I tried again the second month, same thing. The third month I decided I would experiment and go off of the generic. The spotting stopped, it took 6+ weeks for my cycle to resume. This is the second month off, no spotting so far. I’m am going back to my Obgyn to ask for a new prescription for the brand Nuvaring. I know it works for me. I would rather have a copay than mess with my hormones again.”

Choose not to say · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 21, 2020

For Birth Control: “I had great experiences with the Nuvaring and then all of a sudden my insurance company stopped giving it and gave me the EluRyng instead. Since I have been on this, I thought I was going crazy that I have spotted even before the three weeks are up causing major issues with my interactions with my husband, headaches, breast sensitivity and swelling, leg cramps, abdominal cramps, fatigue, it's been crazy and I thought it was just me. I wish my insurance would take Nuvaring again.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 18, 2020

For Birth Control: “I have been on Nuvaring since 2007 and have never had any issues. I was given Eluryng in September of 2020. It has been a horrible experience! I have bled 14 days straight. I also experienced fatigue, headaches, and nausea. I’ve also experienced mental changes. I’ve been unhappy and depressed. I am usually the happiest person in the world. My NP suggested I stay on it for 3 weeks for my body to adjust. I told her that I would never use it again!! Worst birth control ever!!!!!!!!”

Lia · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 3, 2020

For Birth Control: “HORRIBLE! No issues with Nuvaring for years, switched to this because insurance said so. First month wasn't awful.... but second month... non stop bleeding. Horrid, heavy period like I've never experienced. Two weeks later STILL bleeding I took the ring out. I will never use this again. It is doing something bad to my body. BE CAREFUL!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 2, 2020

“I'm so glad I found this thread I thought I was imagining things. I was on the nuvaring for a about a year and loved it and had no side affects whatsoever and was so happy to be able to skip my periods. Then I randomly got handed this different brand at the pharmacy but didn't think much of it. I've had many issues with cramping and painful and swollen breasts, also random spotting which I'd never had before. I've been diagnosed with anxiety but I had been managing it pretty well until I started this new brand and now it's spun out of control again. I'm not sure what to do since my insurance now won't cover Nuvaring anymore but I cannot stand this brand.”

A B C · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 24, 2020

For Birth Control: “My month on Eluryng has been one of the worst of my life. Week 1: nausea/vomiting, fatigue, burning/irritation, and yeast infection. Week 2: severe anxiety and mood swings -- sobbing out of nowhere, massive unprompted panic attacks, and starting crazy fights w/ my partner. Week 3: Severe, acute depression and constant really dark thoughts . Completely numb, crying 24/7, couldn't decide if life was worth living. Week 4: All of my other symptoms disappeared OVERNIGHT as soon as the withdrawal/off week started. I started feeling back to normal within a day or two, so now I'm absolutely sure that my wild emotional symptoms were entirely caused by the ring. I would NOT recommend the generic to anyone. My mental health deteriorated shockingly fast and I've never feared for my safety the way I did during the third week. Given other people's similar experiences, I'm counting down the days until Eluryng is recalled so no one else has to go through this.”

CeeKayy · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 20, 2020

For Birth Control: “Wow I thought I was crazy! Good to know that I'm not the only one who started having issues with the ring after being switched to the generic. I had been on Nuvaring for 5 years and never had any issues. My insurance recently switched me to the generic and I've been having crazy bloating, fatigue and headaches. Not at all happy with the new generic brand”

Jess · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 15, 2020

For Birth Control: “DO NOT USE ELURYNG. My pharmacy gave me Eluryng instead of Nuvaring several months ago and I figured I'd try it, my acne was HORRIFIC for the first couple of weeks. And then, I noticed I had some mood swings. The worst part was intense abdominal pain, especially surrounding sex. I thought for sure I had cancer for a minute there. I thought it couldn't be related to the Eluryng since it seemed like it wouldn't do any damage or anything. I took it out a week ago and I haven't had any pain or mood swings since.”

Calimom909 · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 4, 2020

For Birth Control: “I was on Nuvaring for 6+ years and had no issues. It was honestly the best birth control I had ever been on! Flash to now. I got switched the the generic version that just came out. I am incredibly moody, anxious and getting depressed. I am continually gaining weight even though I exercise and eat well. My libido is GONE. Like 100% gone. This is horrible. There is something not right about this generic version. I have decided to just stop BC because of this and switch to condoms. It's not worth it anymore.”

Kayla · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 9, 2020

For Birth Control: “THE ABSOLUTE WORST. I was unknowingly switched to the nuvaring to the generic by my insurance company in Feb. 2020. I bled the entire 4 months I was on the generic ring and was extremely depressed and very upset all the time. I had no idea why until one day I happened to realize this was not the same ring. It was the absolute worst experience and my dr tried to convince me that they were the exact same product and therefore it wasn't my birth control causing this but the moment I got switched back to the Nuvaring my period went away I felt 100xs better. Please don't switch!!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 27, 2020

For Birth Control: “I was on Nuvaring for 8+ years and never had a problem then was forced to switch to the generic because of my insurance. Within the first couple of days of having it in, I started having intense back pain and was so nauseous I could barely go for a walk outside. I finally took it out and got better but now I'm off birth control and having problems with my moods and cramping. Really sucks that the FDA approved this generic that clearly is dangerous and now I can't afford something that was working great for me.”

Not a fan. · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 20, 2020

For Birth Control: “"Lucky" I am not the only one with this issue. I got switched to the generic brand (because of my insurance) a couple of months ago without any warning. Nuvaring worked so well for me, so I figured this would be the same.... It's not. I make sure to follow the directions, but I have not had a period, I'm having constipation, small headaches, as well as losing my 'drive.' My biggest concern is the missed periods. I, strangely enough, enjoy my period. It makes me feel like everything is doing as it should and no pregnancy scares. This switch is not a good one and I really wish I could return to Nuva.”

Chelce May 15, 2020

For Birth Control: “I was on the Nuvaring for 4 years and I only experienced swollen breasts. It went away after 3 months. I had no problems. In March 2020, I was switched to the generic because of my insurance. Within 2 weeks, I was needing antidepressants because I didn’t feel right. I was having yeast infections like crazy and the fluconazole was not working (this is noted as a side effect). By April, I was having outburst of anger, feeling alone all the time, anxious, my blood pressure was out of control because of the anxiety, I was arguing with everyone, libido was gone, and I was just flat out upset about everything. Now it is May, I feel so depressed and question life everyday. I’m not motivated to do anything. I’m not happy for anything. I will cry about everything. I feel so alone. Today, we figured out it was the generic causing this. I have all the side effects listed on their website. Affect liability, is a serious side effect of this ring. My mental health and quite frankly, life is on the line.”

Daisy · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 13, 2020

For Birth Control: “My insurance provider now covers this versus the NuVaRing that I have used for 11 years. NEVER a problem with the original, but this generic is worse than a menstrual cycle. I have had cramping, bloating, painful breasts, discharge, headaches, migraine, body aches and nausea since I started this. So disappointing, it has caused issues I didn’t even have with a cycle. I am 46 and now trying to figure how I can budget $75 a month for the brand. This is awful.”

talli · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 12, 2020

For Birth Control: “Like most others here- was on Nuvaring for awhile and everything was great: barely any periods, no hormonal acne, no nausea. Got swapped to Eluryng when my insurance suddenly stopped covering it. And it was bad. Started bleeding more and randomly and pain. I'm honestly disappointed that I came from no periods/hormonal acne to just bleeding on nearly all my underwear because now periods don't seem to have a pattern.”

cici · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 24, 2021

For Birth Control: “Awful product. My side effects included: yeast infection, vaginal irritation, painful heavy bleeding (6 weeks), acne on my jawline and ears, anxiety/panic attacks, nausea/vomiting, extreme breast tenderness, insomnia, insane mood swings, self harm, and depression so severe I almost had to check into inpatient psych care. My relationship almost ended because I went fully nuts. I didn't experience a single positive emotion the entire time I was on this BC. The FDA should take this off the market. DON'T put this in your body.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 18, 2020

For Birth Control: “I was on Nuvaring for about 7 years. 6 months ago I was informed my insurance no longer pays for Nuvaring and I was given this generic brand. So far it’s been horrible. I for one started with nuva ring because it’s so easy to deal with and it literally got rid of my acne. Since using the generic brand I get random headaches, mood swings, and guess what now I got cystic acne. Ugh my face looks horrible. I haven’t had acne this bad since 16 and I’m 23 now. I called the insurance and sure enough they won’t cover the actual Nuvaring. Now I’m making a doctors appointment to find a new birth control. I guess I’ll be doing the pill”

MamaD · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 28, 2020

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I used nuvaring for 12 years. I used for an entire month, then replaced it with a new ring. This way I wouldn't have periods. I was prescribed this because of heavy bleeding and severe cramping. In January, a generic came out and I started using the prasco brand intravaginal ring. The first three months a bled almost continuously. I still bleed approximately two weeks out of every month. This generic is NOT the same”

Anonymous May 22, 2020

For Birth Control: “My insurance only covers eluryng now... I have hand an intense back pain, unable to sit up on my own, pain in other parts of my body and I had spotting for one month... I'm now on my fourth ring removal and no period... Omg I'm freaking out... Why make this generic version? Nuvaring was perfect for me back to square one.... I can't take pills, patch, shot, or implant. It literally took me years to get here.”

KH · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 14, 2021

For Birth Control: “I have never had such a horrible experience on birth control in my life!! The EluRyng made my anxiety go throughout the roof, extreme nausea, irritable, mood swings, my resting heart rate was around 110bpm, and I started having suicidal thoughts. I thought it was just my anxiety getting worse but after getting desperate to feel half normal again, I started doing research and realized it was the EluRyng (I don’t take any other medications). This stuff is scary and needs to be recalled ASAP!!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 17, 2020

For Birth Control: “Like everyone else I was on NuvaRing for 4+ years and absolutely loved it - I never experienced any side effects. I went into the pharmacy and they handed me Eluryng without any warning that they were switching me in advance. Two months into Eluryng and I have pretty bad acne considering I'm 25 and never had pimples even in my teens. I'm absolutely devastated and hoping Kaiser will switch me back.... it's either that or I'm going to attempt the pill (which sucks).”

More about EluRyng (ethinyl estradiol / etonogestrel)

Other brands