User Reviews for Femring

Femring has an average rating of 8.5 out of 10 from a total of 28 ratings on Drugs.com. 85% of those users who reviewed Femring reported a positive effect, while 12% reported a negative effect.

Postmenopausal Symptoms
10.0
Summary of Femring reviews 8.5 28 reviews

Reviews for Femring

Smarty Pants · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 19, 2021

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I am 72 years old and have been using Femring for over 5 years. I change it out every 75 days and have no hormone drop-off. I love it! Sex is amazing and pain free. Vaginal dryness is no longer an issue. The only side effect is breast tenderness and although that is unpleasant the benefits are worth it. The price is way high and I am fortunate to be a union member and my health insurance (Union Medicare Supplement) makes it affordable.”

Lynn · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 9, 2020

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I was only using Femring for 1 month and started bleeding and cramping. I had rash on my neck?? Now my GYN wants to do a endometrial biopsy??? I immediately took the ring out and symptoms went away. I feel like this just isn't for me and biopsy is a little over the top. Anyone else have similar experiences?”

RC · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 30, 2020

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I am on my third year of taking Femring (started August of 2017) and the only side effect was a kind of heavy "period" after the first year (August of 2018). I had an ultrasound taken and no problems since then. The best thing about it is you put it in for three months and you cannot tell it's there, it's not like a tampon or anything, it's really comfortable and taking it out is pretty easy, too. I think more women should take it if they can, it's really safe and easy and it's good for the bones (and, imo, the brain and heart)!”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more March 24, 2016

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “"My body does not like this ring - it is quite hard, large, and terribly uncomfortable, paid $100 for it, WITH insurance. Estradiol acetate, which is the kind of estradiol provided in this ring, has to pass through the liver, which is an inefficient way for the body to absorb." In reference to the second reviewer, Femring is a transdermal estrogen and it does not have first pass metabolism through the liver. Only oral estrogens do that. It also is not hard and if placed at the top of a normal vagina (which expands - a hysterectomy cut vagina does not do as well), you won't know it is there. I have personally used this for over 10 years and have prescribed it to 100s of patients. Over 90% loved it - except for the cost.”

have4paws December 10, 2010

For Atrophic Vaginitis: “This ring provided miraculous results for me. I had severe atrophy which my GYN noticed when tissue was tearing and bleeding as he tried to do my pap smear. I didn't even know I had an issue. After a couple months on the Femring he reported my tissue looked healthy and wonderful, had no side effects from it at all. I had to stop using due to insurance not covering but am now on Estring which is the same thing different brand, but insurance covers that one.”

Dee June 28, 2020

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “Had a hysterectomy at birth, so I have been on a HRT regimen since I was 12. I used all the usual types, pills which did nothing, patches while providing a good steady dose burned my skin and never stay on that well, creams never tried. Femring seems to be the best of the options, though not perfect. With initial insertion, I get a surge of estrogen and feel almost giddy, but can definitely tell when the ring has stopped working and it does not last 90 days. If insurance would let you replace it at two months it would actually work well. Sex is way better with the ring than the patch as dryness was still an issue on the patch, however, it can pull out and that can be painful. Also, if you aren’t careful it can be pushed out during a bowel movement. I found the best way to remove it is in the shower, do a deep squat and bear down and that should push it further down the vagina making it easier to remove.”

Post Hysterectomy · Taken for 10 years or more August 18, 2013

“I have been on this medicine since 1998 and as long I as I replace it on time, there are no issues. Even at 53 if it is not replaced on time, I start getting agitated and hot flashes start in. I always joke that it is not for my benefit that I take this, but it is for the benefit of those that are around me that I do. My only gripe is the outrageous expense.”

Nomorehotflashes · Taken for 10 years or more May 13, 2019

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I had my hysterectomy when I was 40. I am now 66 year old and this product has been a saving grace for my menopausal symptoms! The other meds just weren’t for me and I have tried them all. I wonder why some of the folks say it is hard and painful - once I put it in, I never feel it. The only bad thing is the cost. Even with insurance, I still have to pay well over $200 for this. I keep looking for a coupon, but it’s not there.”

meno-v July 5, 2016

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I'm at the end of my second dose of Femring after having both ovaries removed at 35. When I first went on Femring .1 mg daily it was great. I had a couple day days after initial insertion that I felt edgy emotionally - but after day 4 that leveled off. Felt much better than oral estradiol. However, around day 60 my estrogen levels started to dive and by day 80 I was back into full surgical meno. When I inserted the second ring....same as before. An initial surge of estrodiol but this time the ring started to tank around day 35. I'm on day 85 of the second ring and my meno symptoms are unbearable. For me, this is not a 90 day med. Too bad - for 1-2 months it's perfect. My insurance won't allow me to refill until day 90 - and $$$.”

Babycakes · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 31, 2018

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I am a 70 year old woman that has been using this for the past seven years. It is wonderful but it doesn't last the full 90 days as advertised. I change it out at 75 days and find I have no drop-off in estrogen. My insurance allows and the $100 copay is worth it. My sex life is as great as it was prior to menopause and you don't have to remove it for intercourse. I highly recommend this medication!”

GG · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 15, 2019

For Atrophic Urethritis: “Completely took care of my urinary burning and frequency. Used it for 2 years. Insurance changed, and I paid $385/ring for a year anyway. Just switched to estring, ($95) since I retired, which is rigid, causes pain, and doesn't work. Comparing Femring to Estring and which is best, I will go back to Femring.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 5, 2017

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I had a complete hysterectomy when I was 23, I am now 45. I have taken the pills, shots, creams, patches and this is the only thing that actually works for all my needs. I'm so thankful. It's worth the money!!!”

bettyboop56 February 1, 2011

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I am 54 years old; I have been using Fem-ring for more than two years. Prescribed 0.5 mg; changed ring every three months. This past month, I developed intermittent abdominal, low back, and side pain with occasional vaginal discharge; escalated into chronic abdominal pain with fever, chills, nausea, and skin rash, with constant discharge. I removed and discarded the Femring. Pain, fever, and chills quickly subsided; discharge decreased. White blood cell count had escalated. Apparently, my body was rejecting the ring as it was trying to embed itself. My gynecologist has prescribed an antibiotic suppository treatment for infection. It has been four days since I removed the ring; I have been on the antibiotic for only one night, and have not experienced the low back, side, and abdominal pain as before removing it.”

Blondie97702 June 29, 2016

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I was placed on Femring to help with my menopausal symptoms without causing harm to my liver. I was diagnosed with a liver disorder and this has ben a blessing for me and relieved all my symptoms. It can be difficult to insert at 1st but no different than a diaphragm. I have no discomfort or pain and cannot tell it is there. The only downside is the cost.”

Anonymous November 4, 2009

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “Very convenient......noted side effects of breast tenderness (bothersome) and increased milky vaginal discharge (am told this is normal)......has improved vaginal dryness and dysparuenia (painful intercourse).”

D · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 6, 2018

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I have been using this for about a year and a half. It has been a long process to have sex again without pain but it is getting better all the time. A good part of this is because of Femring. I'm able to have an orgasm again as well! Now with this and the help of acupuncture I am able to enjoy sex again. Still working on the libido part. Can't wait to really want sex again. Love my husband terribly and want to keep him happy and want the sex part of our relationship back like the good old days!”

Sushid · Taken for less than 1 month November 27, 2015

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I just started using Fem Ring, after having tried expensive patches that irriatated my skin, messy compounded creams, and drops. I already have a yeast infection, which never happens, plus low back and abdominal pain. Outrageous in this day and age, that no enterprising pharma can come up with an estradiol without such hassles. My body does not like this ring - it is quite hard, large, and terribly uncomfortable, paid $100 for it, WITH insurance. Estradiol acetate, which is the kind of estradiol provided in this ring, has to pass through the liver, which is an inefficient way for the body to absorb. I expected better from Warner Chilcott. I am returning to my compounded drops, one drop on the pulse, twice daily, $25 for a two month supply.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 12, 2018

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I absolutely LOVED this drug, until the insurance companies place in a different tier, requiring me to pay $240.00 every three months!!! I'm still hoping for a generic, so I can resume the medication.”

Don't rash me · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 12, 2016

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “For the first 3 months things were great. On my second Femring I began to get a rash on my forehead and neck. My neck was especially red, itchy and dry. At first I thought it might be due to something else. Perhaps Eczema or psoriasis, so I was buying all kinds of creams and nothing worked. So I double checked my only prescription which is the femring and low and behold one of the possible side effects is a skin rash. It's too soon to know for sure. I hope it goes away.”

Joycar · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 28, 2018

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I used the Femring for over 6 years, with almost fantastic results. It was so easy to forget it was there. Took care of the hot flashes immediately thank heavens but still needed to use Premarin cream on occasion for an vulva itch. Problem was my insurance just kept upping my copay then finally just quit paying for it which made the price over $700 which I refuse to pay. Now started using Imvexxy and not thrilled so far. Thank god the itch has disappeared but the hot flashes are back with a vengeance!! Still waiting for my body to adjust...”

Lala · Taken for less than 1 month October 11, 2018

For Atrophic Vaginitis: “I went into full Menopause at 45 due to radiation for colon cancer. I did not know that was going to happen so suddenly. I've been on Estring for over a year with ok results. Still extremely painful intercourse, sweats and hit flashes. My Gyno switched me to Femring this month. Hopefully it works better for me. I will update in a few weeks and let everyone know how its working for me. Take care!”

JulesMJ2 May 20, 2017

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I had a total hysterectomy. This was the best and most natural of anything I have used. I've tried creams, pills,bcompound pharmacies. This works the best”

shdl January 2, 2013

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I just got my second dose of Femring. So far I have not had any problems or issue. I like it because it keep me from getting dry and my estrogen level up.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 20, 2016

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “Great experience with Femring and it's the only hormone replacement that works for me. Wishing it was not so expensive.”

Anonymous November 18, 2008

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “1 every 3 months is great. I forget I have it. Feel well balanced hormonally.”

niki · Taken for 10 years or more January 23, 2020

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “been using femring for many year now my insurance charge with the deductible $450. I cannot afford that wish we get get this much cheaper”

llockette January 14, 2010

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “It's the best thing since sliced bread. I don't feel it, think about it, only change it every three months. My only problem is the cost - very expensive and my insurance pays nothing on it!”

Hagitha November 2, 2015

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “This is the only product that works for me. The patent expires in December, 2015. I hope it gets cheaper!”