User Reviews for Vagifem to treat Atrophic Vaginitis

Vagifem has an average rating of 6.0 out of 10 from a total of 66 ratings for the treatment of Atrophic Vaginitis. 45% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 33% reported a negative effect.

Vagifem Rating Summary

6.0/10 average rating

Compare all 42 medications used in the treatment of Atrophic Vaginitis.

Reviews for Vagifem

Gal · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 17, 2020

“I left a comment in August regarding Vagifem and gave it 10/10 for curing my symptoms of repeated urinary tract infections but over the last few weeks since starting a new box of Vagifem I have noticed that for the first 2 days after using it I too am getting a stinging feeling in the vagina which also makes me feel like I have a urinary tract infection and tingling in the breasts which I have not experienced before. Reluctantly I have stopped the medication as these new symptoms are too uncomfortable and I am wondering if the manufacturer has changed the formula. Not happy.”

Pookie · Taken for 10 years or more March 10, 2020

“Does anyone know if any of the ingredients have changed recently? I have been using vagifem for almost 15 years once a week and never experienced any burning but recently out of the blue I have burning and cannot understand why as I am using the brand and not the generic as that caused horrible problems. It works great but not happy with the irritation. Thank you.”

Wonder woman · Taken for less than 1 month March 18, 2021

“I was prescribed Vagifem finally after a year of burning, painful sex and constant urine infections. Literally after 3 days the burning was 70% better and I actually enjoyed sex for the first time in ages ! Totally recommend Vagifem and I've had zero side affects . Still got every other peri menopause symptom but one less to deal with is a huge relief! Good luck ladies !”

M · Taken for less than 1 month April 12, 2021

“Worst 'medication' I've ever had. Horrific headache, couldn't even get up out of bed safely the day after one and only application, extreme nausea and dizziness, next few days spotting, vaginal pain, burning for the next two weeks until I took some acid regulators. Subsequently have been sleepless, extremely low on energy, cystitis, cold sore - basically everything saying the body's taken a beating. One pessary. Still battling it four weeks later. Never again.”

Lola F · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 9, 2021

“I've been using vagifem for a few months now & definitely took several weeks for my symptoms to calm down. Before using this my entire vaginal area had become dry, hyper sensitive & sore & sex was so painful, vagifem has restored lubrication & feel like me again, so happy with results. Also have had no hot flashes since I started taking it & these were happening multiple times a night also not had a UTI since & have been having them every couple of months most of my adult life.”

sammie · Taken for less than 1 month April 3, 2020

“I tried Vagifem for two weeks and while I think it probably helped with soreness inside and plumped things up, it also caused irritation of the uretha whereby I had a constant pressure, feeling like a need to wee all the time, burning and stinging inside. I couldn't live with it and it kept on waking me up at night. These symptoms started when I used vagifem and stopped when I stopped it. I really hope there is an alternative as I think for many vagifem is a miracle.”

Chads · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 7, 2021

“I have been using Vagifem for many years now and although it's helped my symptoms a great deal, I find the recommended dosage of 1 pessary twice a week is not enough to keep me comfortable, however my dr refuses to prescribe me any extra. Imagine my surprise on visiting the Menopause Matters site to find many women on there are prescribed it 5x a week as twice a week doesn't relieve their symptoms. Apparently each Vagifem pessary used to be 25mcg (=50mcg a week) but for some unknown reason they reduced it to 10mcg per pessary (=20mcg a week)”

Blondie · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 2, 2019

“Got prescribed Vagifem about 18 months ago and original hair loss was minimal. Had used this on and off in that time. More hair loss. Ouch. Used or started again a month ago. Experienced major hair loss and now have half as much as I used to. Scalp is visible in lots of areas. Will never use again and can only hope that hair will return.”

Pob · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 16, 2020

“I have been on low dose (10mg) Vagifem for the past 9 years at least, I have always tolerated it well, but recently have experienced feelings of discomfort and I wonder if the manufacturing process of the pessary has changed?.”

MoBass · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 17, 2019

“I had painful sex, vaginal bleeding, thrush for years due to a very early hysterectomy. I've been using Vagifem for seven years now and my life has completely turned around. I was first prescribed its use in the UK every time I had vaginal bleeding but a wonderful gynae in South Africa told me that I should be on small doses for the rest of my life.”

Observant · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 17, 2020

“Rectal wall bulging problem. Used Vagifem for many years and a couple of years in, started to suffer from repeated internal rectal wall bulges that caused major discomfort and required ligation via rubber banding by a Colorectal doctor every time - around 10 times. The rectal wall bulges kept recurring and I also experienced pressure in the lower abdomen when pressing down to pee. Stopped Vagifem over a year ago - have not had one single rectal wall bulge since!! I believe that Vagifem caused tissue, muscle and structural changes where it should not have.”

Zero waster · Taken for less than 1 month October 3, 2021

“The pessaries might be fine but the packaging is insane. Each pessary has its own plastic applicator. And is individually wrapped in foil and plastic. It's an absolute disgrace. Pessaries and one reusable applicator please. Stop wrecking the planet with this sort of ridiculous over packaging”

Gal · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 18, 2020

“I am in my late 60's and for the past few years have suffered at least 6-7 urinary tract infections a year. The urologist suggested using Vagifem as directed and apart from headaches and nausea for the first few days have not had any problems and my urinary tract infections have dropped significantly to 1-2 a year. I now only use it once a week and find this sufficient for keeping everything comfortable. I live in the UK so my prescriptions are free. I will continue using it for as long as my general practitioner is happy to prescribe it.”

Ms · Taken for less than 1 month October 14, 2020

“I’m 60 years old and have had multiple urinary tract infectionS over the years. My doctor just started me on the Vagifem 3 weeks ago as well as Progestrone oral tablets. In the last week the burning, itching and irritation is driving me crazy. I’m trying to deal with it and applying topical OTC creams as well as natural balms to try and calm my vagina area down. I’m going back to the doctor tomorrow as I can’t stand this any more. I was really hoping this medication would work for me, I wonder what the next step will be?”

brody · Taken for less than 1 month December 31, 2019

“Beware, ladies! I was reassured by my GP that topical oestrogen like Vagifem is so weak and mild it rarely causes side effects. But after taking Vagifem nightly for two weeks I started having dizzy spells. I took my own blood pressure and it was 153/85. Normally it is 121/74! I stopped taking the pills immediately, but 6 days later my blood pressure is still high and I am just hoping it goes down soon. This may be an uncommon side effect, I don't know, but the warning about strokes got me worried.”

Mary Ann Williams · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 30, 2015

“I used Vagifem as prescribed by my Gyn. I used this product as directed for on an off for a period of 2 years. I developed fallopian and ovarian cancer last year. I have had to have a hysterectomy-oophorectomy and excision of tumors. I feel that this was related to my taking the Vagifem even though my Gyn stated that this was a small dose of hormone and would not cause any adverse problems. I have since found that this is not the truth!”

S Jean · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 18, 2016

“I had been using vagifem for about 8 years and now have uterine cancer. I am having a hysterectomy next week as a result. When my cancer surgeon found out I was using vagifem tabs he immediately had me stop it.”

kappin March 31, 2014

“Vagifem truly changed my life. Intercourse was almost impossible for me before my doctor prescribed Vagifem. Intercourse felt like knives in my vagina and my tissues were so dry,raw, and painful that I was in constant pain. I have been using it now for about a month and the difference is unbelievable. No more pain or irritation. No side effects so far.”

Nicky · Taken for less than 1 month July 20, 2020

“Use of Vagifem to address bladder frequency has caused significant irritation, itchiness and rawness around the vaginal area as well as thick white discharge. I have discontinued it and am attempting to treat these symptoms which have progressed to the urethra. Very discouraging as many women find it very helpful for post menopausal conditions .”

Linda · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 30, 2019

“For those that may not be aware, you can purchase a 3 month supply of Vagifem through Canadian pharmacies for approximately $55. Have been using this approach for years and have never had a problem. If the cost of Vagifem is a problem for you, do yourself a favor and explore this alternative.”

GoGirl62 February 17, 2014

“No side effects and saw an immediate improvement, as well as a more peaceful state of mind, which may or may not be in my head, but I don't care. I felt great taking this medication, and it helped with the painful entry/sex that I was experiencing. Now, no problems!”

Cream is better November 28, 2014

“I have been using Vagifem 10mcg for 8-9 months and I just switched to Estrace vaginal cream 1gr. Vagifem kept my vagina healthy but the estrogen doesn't reach the external genital area which remains dry. With cream I'm able to use it in the vagina but I spread a little extra on the outside.”

Cherry · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 30, 2020

“Great medicine. I was having recurrent UTIs and vaginal infections as a part of menopause. I have been on this medication for two months and have had no issues at all. I highly recommend it for vaginal atrophy”

Premature menopause at age 38 · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 12, 2017

“This medication has improved my quality of life significantly. Since I went through premature ovarian failure and started menopause at age 38, by age 42, I had severe atrophic vaginitis which meant very painful sex and constant bladder infections. Sorry, I'm not giving up sex at age 42. Especially since otherwise I'm extremely fit and healthy. All the estrogen creams were a big mess and one of them even gave me a rash. A doctor suggested I try the vagifem and it was super easy, no mess and no reaction and solved my issues. I was happy and so was hubby. Now if I could just get a generic. 8 tablets (1 month supply is $176!! And my insurance now has a $3000 deductible (thanks Obamacare) so I have to pay for it myself.”

Anonymous February 20, 2012

“Vagifem greatly helps me with my atrophic vagnitis. I was having extreme burning and pain. I only wish I did not have to take this the rest of my life like my doctor advised me. The mediciation sometimes gives me a slight headache.”

Learn more about Atrophic Vaginitis