User Reviews for Vagifem

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Vagifem.

Vagifem Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 39 medications used in the treatment of Atrophic Vaginitis.

Reviews for Vagifem to treat Atrophic Vaginitis

"At first the burning was intense ( from using the pills) it later decreased. After day 7 , I had the worst case of bacterial vaginosis. I have stopped using the 10 mcg inserts."

C J (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had this prescribed by my doctor who knows I have had to use primolut to control mennoraghea associated with perimenopause at 47 yrs. Dr knows my Gynie monitors endometrium thickening as a result of using primolut as it can cause endometrium cancer. A recent ultrasound revealed normal thickening of uterus for my age 57. Some uterine fibroid cysts though I am post menopause. Ovaries are normal. My constant bladder infections and incontinence were attributed to atrophy of the vagina. And I was told initially in my 40's to use a cream on the urethra, I never did. But the infections affected my kidneys and I started to lose my hair and damaged occurred in hair structure. So I'm tempted to use the Vagifem even if it is risky."

Piccadilly (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Wonder drug for me only downside is stuffy nose it's like having a constant cold. As in U.K. Prescriptions are free for over 60"

Auberge March 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication has improved my quality of life significantly. Since I went through premature ovarian failure and started menopause at age 38, by age 42, I had severe atrophic vaginitis which meant very painful sex and constant bladder infections. Sorry, I'm not giving up sex at age 42. Especially since otherwise I'm extremely fit and healthy. All the estrogen creams were a big mess and one of them even gave me a rash. A doctor suggested I try the vagifem and it was super easy, no mess and no reaction and solved my issues. I was happy and so was hubby. Now if I could just get a generic. 8 tablets (1 month supply is $176!! And my insurance now has a $3000 deductible (thanks Obamacare) so I have to pay for it myself."

Premature menopause at age 38 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Vagifem still works but due to lower dose I have to use more often. My doctor says this is very common with reduced dosage. I very glad that she will prescribe sufficient pessaries for comfort."

Lizziedo December 13, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Sex became extremely painful after menopause..so much so that penis insertion was impossible! I thought I was done...my gyno suggested this and gave me some samples. I had started seeing somebody I really liked so had "the talk" about pain..I know some others have had this talk too. He said it wasn't a problem and meant it but I wanted to try..a month later..penetration was achieved with only a slight amount of discomfort! In fact..I was so surprised that it took me a moment to register that Yes..that IS what I'm feeling. So far..everything is fine. I will never be the way I was..but I'm very satisfied with this medication."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Really good experience with stronger dose. Now on lower dose and after a year or so the effect is nothing like as good. As atrophic vaginal conditions increase with age, it is obvious that what once worked well will no longer be effective at lower dosage. It is a shame that so many women will have to suffer this painful condition because of a shiort term study of a very small sample of women."

lizziep August 31, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This med was a complete cure....I went through menopause - experienced extreme dryness and horrific pain during relations....constant urinary infections as well. I use the 10mcg and it was perfect....get it a lot cheaper through israelpharm.....different amounts in packaging - but still a heck of a lot cheaper than Walmart....yay!!!"

mama28 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had been using vagifem for about 8 years and now have uterine cancer. I am having a hysterectomy next week as a result. When my cancer surgeon found out I was using vagifem tabs he immediately had me stop it."

S Jean (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doctor prescribed 10 mcg vagifem,then another doctor after hearing my complaints of leg cramp and other vague problems told me to stop using it. But there is nothing out there which works for me,Premarin cream is not for me,combipatch I gave up long ago,so 10 mcg vagifem seems to be my only option. all the other non hormone lubrications do not work. So if you are taking it,watch closely for side effects,10mcg is the lowest dosage,25 mcg is not allowed by FDA in USA."

michelle10167 June 13, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"54 and Suffering Severe vaginal dryness took vagifem 10 m for 10 days only had to stop due to severe abdominal pain never again will I take this drug users please beware"

Ginney-t (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have only been taking this for a few months, but notice a big difference, I suffered really bad pain during intercourse and this has improved the situation, I also think it has levelled out my menopausal moods. I will be staying on it. I am fortunate to live in Scotland where I do not pay for this medication directly, prescriptions are free."

hellojoanie (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used Vagifem as prescribed by my Gyn. I used this product as directed for on an off for a period of 2 years. I developed fallopian and ovarian cancer last year. I have had to have a hysterectomy-oophorectomy and excision of tumors. I feel that this was related to my taking the Vagifem even though my Gyn stated that this was a small dose of hormone and would not cause any adverse problems. I have since found that this is not the truth!"

Mary Ann Williams (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 30, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been using Vagifem 10mcg for 8-9 months and I just switched to Estrace vaginal cream 1gr. Vagifem kept my vagina healthy but the estrogen doesn't reach the external genital area which remains dry. With cream I'm able to use it in the vagina but I spread a little extra on the outside."

Cream is better November 28, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"completely stopped vaginal dryness."

dragon4 May 21, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Vagifem truly changed my life. Intercourse was almost impossible for me before my doctor prescribed Vagifem. Intercourse felt like knives in my vagina and my tissues were so dry,raw, and painful that I was in constant pain. I have been using it now for about a month and the difference is unbelievable. No more pain or irritation. No side effects so far."

kappin March 31, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"No side effects and saw an immediate improvement, as well as a more peaceful state of mind, which may or may not be in my head, but I don't care. I felt great taking this medication, and it helped with the painful entry/sex that I was experiencing. Now, no problems!"

GoGirl62 February 17, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It works for me, my insurance does cover some of it but since it is not generic I have to pay almost the whole thing.."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 19, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"At first I didn't have any side effects but the longer I have taken this medication I have been experiencing headaches. I never used to get headaches before and I have had bloating in my abdominal area. "

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 6, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Vagifem greatly helps me with my atrophic vagnitis. I was having extreme burning and pain. I only wish I did not have to take this the rest of my life like my doctor advised me. The mediciation sometimes gives me a slight headache."

Anonymous February 20, 2012