User Reviews for Entacapone to treat Parkinson's Disease

Also known as: Comtan

Entacapone Rating Summary

4.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 67 medications used in the treatment of Parkinson's Disease.

Reviews for Entacapone

Athenz May 31, 2020

“I am younger than most individuals diagnosed with parkinson's and am considered mild to moderate. I have regular exercise everyday and just started on Entacapone this past week. Though it is quite early I am hopeful that it will work continuously. It has lengthened my window of on time up an hour yesterday and today but, is inconsistent possibly due to that it may take time to establish the Entacapone in my system. So far I have had no adverse effects other than noticing I do get sleepy but, my doctor has said that many individuals can take entacapone well. I have not had any constipation or hallucinations and follow this medicine carefully. I just bought a medicine timer to keep myself on a strict regiment. I will keep you posted from time to time and hope that others do well on this. Mine is the generic form and I have Medical and so I am lucky it's not expensive for me. Thank you”

Arnold · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 16, 2020

Comtan (entacapone): “Sinemet 25/100 6 x daily 1 tabs with 100 mg Comtan 6 x daily with my Sinemet Not working well. Off times between medication 1.5 to 2 hours off times x 6 daily between medication. Experience bad nightmares Nauseous Involuntarily movements Muscle pain Stiffness Difficulty breathing Weak Low concentration span Can not see any positive results taking this medication ”

pug · Taken for less than 1 month May 5, 2019

“Entacapone has caused nightmares which greatly interrupted my sleep. Stopped taking after 3 weeks. I am now sleeping much better”

mjbaz2002 · Taken for less than 1 month June 17, 2017

Comtan (entacapone): “Didn't improve any symptoms. Side Effects: 1. It was messing up my stomach and starting to cause problems with my acid reflux 2. I had several episodes of feeling really anxious and my heart would race – on the verge of panic attack, maybe? 3. Very slight fear of the dark”

Stay hydrated... · Taken for less than 1 month April 11, 2017

Comtan (entacapone): “I just started taking this drug about 3 weeks ago. The first week was a little rough and it leaves a funny taste in my mouth. However, now that I am getting used to it, I find it helpful. I can take less Carbidopa/Levodopa and has much smoother transition between end/begin of medication times. ONE THING I HAVE FOUND is the importance of staying hydrated. Dehydration is a side effect and it shows. If I don't watch it, I start feeling bad & symptoms flare up. After I drink a large glass of water, I start feeling better.”

Bmp April 11, 2012

Comtan (entacapone): “I take Sinemet 25/100 4 x daily 1 1/2 tabs with 100 mg Comtan 4 x daily with my Sinemet and it seems to work well for lessening my "wear off" periods but it does cost a lot.”

Ho-Hum February 16, 2012

“Pros: Greatly reduces tremors and lasts up to the next scheduled dose, which is the point of taking the medicine. However..... Cons: Immediately after taking the drug, there is temporary nausea, drowsiness, sleepiness & disorientation, dizziness. It makes me sleep more than desired. I can no longer drive, cook, or do much of anything because of the dizziness. I prefer tremor relief, so the medicine wins. We don't have much choice with this disease. It's very expensive, but what is your quality of life (what little there is) worth to you? If I have to exist, I would rather sleep than suffer tremors most of my waking hours.”

Anonymous June 8, 2010

Comtan (entacapone): “Terrible hallucinations!”

Shirley E. April 28, 2008

Comtan (entacapone): “The medication is very good. Unfortunately it is expensive”

Learn more about Parkinson's Disease

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)