User Reviews for Gianvi

Birth Control
5.7

Summary of Gianvi reviews 6.0 182 reviews

Reviews for Gianvi

For Birth Control "I hate writing bad reviews, but PLEASE DO NOT use this birth control! I have been on it over a month and bleeding non stop, having anxiety attacks all day long while at work, intrusive awful thoughts, vision feels different and blurry, feeling depressed and moody one minute the next I’m fine. will not be taking anymore pills on this brand. I was on Loryna (which they say is comparable) and it is not. I felt perfectly fine on Loryna, and figured it would be the same on Gianvi. It’s not, I don’t want this to happen to anyone else, so please girls watch out."

Anon (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 7, 2018

For Birth Control "I've been on Gianvi for 7 years now. It has prevented pregnancy, which is the main point of taking it. I can't remember having any issues with nausea when I first started taking it, but I usually take it with food. My periods are normal, I wouldn't say lighter on this pill. I still get cramps and moodiness, and it definitely kills my sex drive. One odd fact about this pill is that since I've been taking this brand, I developed IBS. I've actually seen research studies that link IBS to Yaz and it's generic counterparts. I'm finishing out my last pill pack of Gianvi and switching to something else to see if the IBS diminishes. I wouldn't say Gianvi has been terrible, but I think I could feel better on something else."

Mada (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 4, 2018

For Birth Control "I have only been on Gianvi for a month and a half and absolutely do not like it. Started spotting while on active pills, then started bleeding heavily for over a week and still am. It’s a never ending period!"

Anon (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 1, 2018

For Birth Control "I have been on Gianvi for about a month. At first, I think it gave me mood swings. I was very irritable. But it seems to have calmed down. There's no other negative thing for me to say about it. On the positive side, it has cleared up my acne and my skin looks and feels better. I haven't had my first period on the pill yet."

Bab (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2018

For Birth Control "This birth control was terrible. Not only did I have bad depression and anxiety while I was on it I also got pregnant with twins. Don't trust this stuff at all."

Apples (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 29, 2018

For Birth Control "I've been taking Gianvi for approximately 2 years. Switched from Tri-Sprintec because it made my acne 50x worse. This medication is very affordable and works well. I haven't had any pregnancy scares or major issues. I will say the cons to this pill is that I am virtually always not 'in the mood', even when I want to be. It also can cause moodiness sometimes in stressful situations. Lastly I get exhausted quite fast but I just power through it. I still get occasional breakouts but they are nowhere near what I used to get (cystic acne around my chin/neck area). I can personally deal with the side effects since, again, it seems quite effective at preventing pregnancy which is the most important aspect for me."

FoxLady95 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 11, 2018

For Acne "I was so nervous to try this after reading the reviews but I'm so glad I made the leap. I'm 35 and have been struggling for a decade with next-level awful cramps (vomiting/unhealthy amount of Advil), moderate cystic acne and PMS that made me psycho. I stuck it out since I had bad birth control experiences before but no natural remedy worked for me and it wore me down to the point where I couldn't stand it anymore. My doctor recommended Gianvi and I've been on it 6 months now. My face is virtually clear, the cramps are so mild (more like bloating), the emotional stuff is manageable and my weight has stayed the same. The first month was great. Month two and three were rough emotionally as my body adjusted (really dark thoughts) but I stuck it out on my doctor's recommendation since my cramps and acne were better. I don't know if my 25-year old self could have made it through those two months but I'm kicking myself for not having taken this years ago."

Amont September 10, 2018

For Birth Control "I wish I could rate this with 0 stars. I took ONE pill and it was the worst thing that ever happened to me. I took the first pill at 10pm and by 1am, I couldn't breathe. The worst anxiety I've ever experienced in my life hit me and it hit me hard. And coming from someone who has suffered from anxiety and depression and takes Prozac, this wasn't anything close to what I've experienced in the past. I've dealt with death, loss, body dysmorphia, etc. This was the worst pain I've ever felt. I said rash things to my boyfriend and almost lost my relationship. I stopped taking it but the hormones are still in my body after 2 days. I haven't eaten for 48 hours and I'm still extremely anxious and my had has been flooded with intrusive thoughts. Please, do not take this pill."

Camille (taken for less than 1 month) September 5, 2018

For Birth Control "My doctor prescribed me Gianvi to help my debilitating cramps and terrible heavy bleeding. My cramps would make me puke I couldn’t even talk or get up. And I would bleed through if I didn’t change my tampon after 20 minutes. But after being on this pill it has drastically helped my bleeding and my cramps are still kinda bad but definitely not as bad as they used to be but I have to say that this gave me terrible nausea and bad headaches. My pimples cleared up as well. The only con for me is the nausea and headaches but it did it’s job"

Taylor (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 4, 2018

For Birth Control "I am so glad there are other reviews here. I thought I was losing my mental health. This pill has made me an absolute crazy person. I can't tell you the effects this has had on my life and my relationships (friends, work, boyfriend) I've been extremely depressed and have had bursts of rage and or tears, I started to realize (in the midst of an emotional breakdown) the way I was reacting to things was not normal, I finally connected the dots and realized it was because my pill changed to Givani 3 weeks ago. I've been on BC for 10 years so I don't think it was just an adjustment. Also had really bad acne but that was the least of my worries."

Na (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2018

For Acne "So I have been taking Gianvi for 2 months going into my 3rd. I will say my husband and I haven't got pregnant so it works in that department. I really wanted something for my acne as I have suffered from it for years. Acne is one of the reasons for me taking this one. I am not sure if it hasn't been enough time or not and am not completely sure if it's helping or not. I do think my dark spots are getting lighter but I am still breaking out here and there. Not bad but it doesn't look good either. My period still last 7 days as always which I hate but it haven't been super heavy I guess. Like the others, I have not had any mood swings, etc and my sex drive is still normal."

Chrissy (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2018

For Birth Control "Gianvi made me break out like CRAZY. Whatever additional fillers they use made react poorly. So switched to brand name YAZ and my skin completely cleared up."

adarlene (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 26, 2018

For Acne "Can't say I'm a fan. I went on Gianvi for acne and mood swings. The first two months were a really rough adjustment. I levelled out after that and my acne seemed to calm down a bit, but my mood swings were still bad. It's been 6 months now and I'm going to kick this pill to the curb. I've had bad acne flair ups, menstruating twice a month, and my mood is up and down constantly. If the reason you are taking a medication is to help rectify a problem, and that problem becomes worse, it's not worth it."

Marie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 25, 2018

For Birth Control "I got on gianvi after yaz because it was cheaper. It helped to clear my hormonal cystic acne. I started in February of 2016. 2 months later I noticed weird symptoms with my eyes. They were constantly aching and it hurt to blink. Fast forward a year and a half and it’s still getting worse (I honestly thought it was from me getting older). Turns out I had severe dry eye and inflammation, which would cause migraines (never had these before). So I went on some medication to bring down the swelling in my eyes. Come to find out that my birth control is the only reason for my weird eye symptoms and migraines. Got off the birth control and less than 5 days later, my eyes went completely back to normal. Was on this stuff for over 2 years. Took forever to realize."

ChrystaL (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 5, 2018

For Birth Control "Gianvi has been a disaster. I was so excited to take it as I needed a birth control method and also have adult acne and PCOS, and it's supposed to be good for that. After the very first pill I felt very bad, with heavy fatigue, nausea, and headaches. I thought I had a stomach bug and just needed a day to rest. Then I started having panic attacks and severe depression. I had to leave work it was so terrible. Over the next 7 days the nausea and headaches persisted, and I alternated between periods of panic, anxiety, severe anger, and sadness. One day I sobbed the entire day for absolutely no reason. It ruined my sex drive. I couldn't get wet enough to have sex at all. I have run 25 miles per week for two years and never missed a week, but for the 7 days I was on Yaz I couldn't run because I was so exhausted. Even doing the dishes or taking a shower was too exhausting. My acne got a lot worse. This drug is dangerous!"

Katie May 21, 2018

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder "I was on Yasmin and loved it. I lost weight, my skin cleared, my cramps and bloating gone. I had severe PMDD and it helped BUT I was bleeding constantly. I felt so good I stuck it out for 8 months hoping to adjust which I didn't, so my doctor switched me to yaz and I ended up with the generic Giavni. It's AWFUL! My mood swings are back, I'm depressed and have no energy. I gained 4lbs and cramped 3 weeks out of the month. My back hurts. And I'm still constantly bleeding. I made it through two packs but I can't take anymore. So I'm switching again."

P (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2018

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder "I started Gianvi March of last year and requested this brand specifically, because a friend had told me how well it worked for them, and it is the generic for Yasmin, which is often used to treat PMDD. I was seriously suffering mentally and emotionally every month before starting Gianvi. Granted I have battled depression/bipolar disorder for quite some time, but everything was so much darker right before my period. I was extremely irritable to the point where everything set me off and I'd get violent, I was crying uncontrollably, completely hopeless, suicidal, etc. In addition to this, I also suffered from pretty bad acne (I'd get large, painful, cystic-like pimples every month that would then often take months to go away). While I still do get acne (I've had it since my early teen years), I no longer get the kind of acne I had been, and it is much more manageable. I'm so glad I gave Gianvi a shot."

Kim (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 9, 2018

For Birth Control "The first probably 5 months of this pill was awful. My skin got worst, I spotted, and I had bad anxiety. However, it's been two years now and I have never been happier. I haven't had a bad pimple in MONTHS and my acne completely cleared. We stopped using condoms and have been fine, no scares. My period is only 3 days and very light, plus it starts always on the hour! It's amazing. Plus, I lost about 10 pounds from 127 to 117 at 5.4'"

AnnaKristine (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 8, 2018

For Birth Control "This birth control made me feel AWFUL! I had terrible back and abdominal pain while taking it and even for some time after it. It took my body awhile to adjust and to feel normal again after taking this pill. It caused migraines, fatigue, and mood swings. I also experienced changes in my digestive system and felt bloated most of the time. I felt my personality completely change on this pill. Overall, I would not recommend anyone to put this pill into their body."

Shelb (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2018

For Acne "I just wanted to share how extremely grateful I am for Gianvi! I was on Yaz for about 3 years and switched to Gianvi for the past seven years because it was cheaper. My face has been completely clear (after trying everything from topical treatments to multiple antibiotics) and my period has been very light - usually only lasting 2 days. I am worried about breaking out again after I stop taking Gianvi and I hope to stay on it as long as I can."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) April 17, 2018

For Birth Control "I have had no trouble with this pill at all. My period starts the same time every month and I hardly bleed when it comes. I used to have awful irregular periods that came with awful cramps, but now I have a very light flow and little to no cramping."

Margo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 10, 2018

For Birth Control "Wow worst generic oral contraceptive ever!!! I have been on this for three months (was on YAZ for 1.5 years prior without issues) and my PMDD is HORRIFIC for 7-10 days before/around my period. Severe depression, anxiety, panic, crying...just awful. Please request YAZ and not the generic."

CNC (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2018

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder "I start my pills tonight! I was on lexapro for 2 years to treat PMDD which was terrible for me and my loved ones. Lost sex drive completely and gained 42 lbs so doctor is treating me with this drug in order to stop my cycle and relieve me of PMDD without lexapro Stay tuned!"

Coleman (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2018

For Birth Control "The absolute worst birth control that I have EVER taken! I had to stop taking this pill halfway through the pack because of the side effects. One day I found myself crying totally out of no where, I was also becoming depressed which is very uncommon for me, being that I'm a pretty jovial person. Another terrible factor for me was the heavy bleeding even after my period had ended. I already have extremely heavy and painful menstrual cycles as it is, so the fact that I was bleeding even more was a no-go for me. My appetite fluctuated from day to day but I still gained a few pounds. I'll be switching to a different one ASAP."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2018

For Menstrual Disorders "I have been on several pills over the past year and a half. Gianvi has been amazing for me! The first month, my period was light and my cramps were way less. I typically had 2 days of very heavy cramping and heavy bleeding for 3-5 days. After the first month, the periods kept getting lighter and lighter. I’m at month 6 now and haven’t had a period in 2 months! The first month I broke out a bit, but now my skin is completely clear! I love this pill and hope they never stop making it. If you’re just starting Gianvi, I suggest giving it a few months before throwing in the towel. I’m so glad I did."

MamaB (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 9, 2018