User Reviews for Gianvi

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Gianvi.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder

Menstrual Disorders
5.7

Summary of Gianvi reviews 6.6 171 reviews

Reviews for Gianvi

For Birth Control "If I could give it less stars I would. Had strange side effects from day 1 on this birth control, drastically lost weight (I am already thin could not afford to lose pounds), huge cysts on upper back, nausea..By month three I was having debilitating menstrual cramps all month long, diarrhea, and my heart was racing all the time. I ended up in the ER..based on symptoms they thought I had a ruptured ovarian cyst..then all scans showed nothing!! Stopped the birth control and in less than two weeks all symptoms had vanished."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 16, 2018

For Birth Control "Now I’ve shared on this pill before, but I’ve been on it for almost a year and a half now. Even though it sucks stick it out for AT LEAST 4 months. Yeah the beginning sucks, you’re spotting, acne gets worse, moody. However, I’ve had the best skin of my last this last year. I also went from 127 to 119 pounds, but my boobs got slightly larger (win-win am I right?). I thought it was giving me bad headaches, but in reality it’s mostly from dehydration. While my anxiety is still bad on the pill, a lot of it is probably natural. CONS: ~can be slightly moody and have bad anxiety some days ~some months I begin my period A WEEK early, before the placebo pills (usually due to stress) PROS: ~no pregnancy ~clear skin ~lost about 10 pounds"

annakristine December 21, 2017

For Birth Control "All that I can say is that it has done nothing but good for me"

Addow789 (taken for less than 1 month) December 6, 2017

For Birth Control "I have been on gianvi for about 4 years. I was previously talking Lo Estrin but it made me really depressed and I never had a period. As soon as I switched I felt a lot better and I get a mild period the same time every month. It also really cleared my face up I get almost no breakouts and also didn’t experience weight gain but everyone is different. I did recently get switched to the Nikki version of the pill and it was TERRIBLE. I got lumps in my breast had horrible migraines and also experienced multiple hot flashes throughout the day. I finally got gianvi back and almost immediately this side affects went away. If you are on a brand of pill that works for you don’t let them switch you just make them order it or find a new pharmacy"

Siddddd November 30, 2017

For Birth Control "Took this medication, as Vestura was no longer available... I began having yeast infection symptoms on a monthly basis to having full reoccurring yeast infections monthly. Finally concluded Gianvi birth control pills were the cause after quitting Gianvi altogether. Everyone's body is different. Vestura wasn't perfect but it worked better for me than Gianvi. Awful! 6 months of yeast infections!"

Assfghjkl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 21, 2017

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder "I've tried what feels like every birth control for the last 15 years, and always come back to gianvi. I have severe PMDD. Gianvi is the only birth control that controls my cramps, my excessive anxiety, and also keeps those hormonal cysts on my chin at bay. I took it straight for 8 years, came off it because of those scary ads on tv about blood clots, and tried lo-lo. My hair was falling out in massive clumps within two months so I stopped bc entirely. Well, after 6 months I realized my life was revolving around my cycle because of the pmdd anxiety. So, back on gianvi. Within weeks, I felt back to my normal self. 8 because it does worsen my cellulite on thighs that almost completely goes away when I stop taking it. But the cellulite is WORTH IT."

raccoonmath November 4, 2017

For Birth Control "Hello again! I've given a couple detailed updates on Gianvi in the past few months. I've been on the pill consistently from June- end of October. I decided to give my body a break and will continue the pill again shortly. I can genuinely say that I felt completely normal the past few months, however, I did gain weight and felt serious abdominal bloat at all times. No matter how hard I worked out and watched my diet, I could not shed the 10-15 lb weight gain. This is my first week off of it, and BAM, I have miraculously bounced back my pre-BC body! My stomach looks and feels flatter and my thighs and arms look slender again. I have no complaints about this pill, but don't let anyone tell you different - you DO gain weight on this pill."

btl234 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 2, 2017

For Acne "I've been using Gianvi for 7 months now and my skin is clear and I didn't have acne before but the usual breakouts here and there. I do get extremely irritable the last week of pills but I guess that's expected. Other than that no complains besides the usual headaches like twice a month."

letisan88 September 5, 2017

For Acne "I am not one to write reviews, but I'm compelled to warn others about the serious side effects I've experienced. I took Gianvi after I took Yaz, and because both pills contain the same amount of hormones, I thought that I will have the same, fine experience with Gianvi as I did with Yaz. Upon my first week into the pill, I became depressed and dealt with some serious anxiety. These mental symptoms only worsened as the days progressed and as I approached the end of the pack, I suffered constant suicidal thoughts. Once I realized that this pill was the cause of my madness, I immediately stopped. It's been 2 days since I last took the pill and I feel better already. Also, the pill did nothing for my moderately to severe acne."

IndigoB August 18, 2017

For Birth Control "I'm on my first week of this pill and let me tell you, I'm really considering just to stop taking it. I have been so depressed and emotional the past few days I feel like there is nothing to look forward to in life. Also I spot every day and it yes so annoying because I want to wear my "nice underwear" but can't and I really don't want to wear a pad all the time. I know my body is getting used to it so I will try my best to continue it. Everyone is different and I hope that they are having a lot better experiences with it than I."

Brandygaga August 13, 2017

For Birth Control "I've been using gianvi for over a month now and I haven't experienced any mood swings!!! I don't feel depressed, suicidal or anything. I have experienced bloating and tender breasts. I have recently broke out on face a bit but I'm hoping my body will soon adjust because I chose it to help with acne. I'll continue to use it and hope for the best. So far I don't think I've gained any weight which is a bummer bc I'm underweight and really was looking forward to it. But we'll see!"

Calicutie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2017

For Birth Control "This is my third and final update - good news! - just make it through the first pack and a half! My body completely acclimated after that and I feel totally normal again. After getting back into a regular workout routine again, the pills emotional and physical effects gradually lessened. I do still have some breast sensitivity, light bloating, and as of recently, a lower sex drive, but I'm not the raging, depressed, lethargic mess I was a month ago lol. My advice - the first month and some is going to suck; I felt physically and emotionally so out of whack, I wanted to give up 3-5 times a week, but GIVE IT TIME. Give your body a solid month and a half to adjust and then make the decision to stick with it or move on."

btl234 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 17, 2017

For Menstrual Disorders "I've been taking Gianvi for about three years, and have never experienced any negative side effects. I've noticed my periods have gradually become shorter and lighter, decreasing from about 4-5 constant days of heavy/moderate bleeding to 2-3 days of moderate bleeding and another day of light spotting. Additionally, prior to taking Gianvi, my periods were fairly painful for the first two days, but this medication seems to have helped dramatically with my cramping. Now I typically only experience one day of cramping, and sometimes it's so light that I don't need to take painkillers. Finally, I always know the exact day my period will begin. Gianvi has made my periods so much more manageable, and as an added bonus, my acne cleared up too!"

Anonymous July 12, 2017

For Birth Control "Hello again! I provided a quick summary of my experience with the pill two weeks in below and wanted to give an update...So, the good news- my boobs are bigger and the acne around my chin area has subsided. Bad news, I've gained weight and I'm always bloated. I've always had a flat stomach, but ever since I started taking the pill I'm 24/7 bloated. All hell broke loose this weekend when I literally thought I was being possessed by the devil. I started bleeding heavily and the cramping was relentless and unbearable. After a night out, I came home and was overwhelmed with depression and anxiety. I was hypersensitive to every sound and I cried for 3 hours for god knows what reason. I'm hesitant to start this new pack after that hellish episode"

btl234 June 19, 2017

For Acne "This pill is AWFUL. It made me sad, anxious (never had this problem before), and my skin worse than ever. I feel like my entire personality changed. I quit taking it and am already starting to feel better. Everybody is different, but I suggest looking into others, especially if you already have anxiety to some degree."

amf78554 June 11, 2017

For Acne "I'm just about to finish my first pack, so I don't know how helpful my experience with the pill is at this point. So far, my acne has not changed :/ I have had breakouts of small bumps and some larger pimples around my chin and mouth area since high school (I'm 24 now) and I've just about exhausted every other acne medication option. I'm hoping in the next couple packs I will start to see a difference. In terms of my mood, alertness, activity, weight - no complaints, I feel great! I felt a little emotional and irritable the first couple of weeks when my body was adjusting, but nothing crazy. I still work full-time and work out 2-3 times a week with no unusual tiredness. I haven't noticed any weight gain either!"

btl234 June 6, 2017

For Birth Control "This pill was absolutely awful for me. 2 weeks in, I started feeling more irritable and moody, I ignored it, telling myself it just was the change in the hormones of the pill. I was on it for 2 months total, I got depressed on it, irritable, moody, cried for no reason, and got a migraine that lasted for days, it was unbearable. I also developed a yeast infection while on it. It was a miserable 2 months and I'll never go back. I rather take no pill then take this one"

Maria p (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2017

For Birth Control "After going on my 4th month of taking Gianvi, I had to stop taking this product completely. While this birth control pills does the job of preventing pregnancy and is very easy to take, it also had significant side effects that way surpassed the pros. I had terrible mood swings, deep depressing feelings over trivial situations, uncontrollable crying and a total loss of sex drive. At first I thought it was just early menopause ( at age 40) but after doing some research and experiment , I realized that it was the bc pills."

J14 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2017

For Birth Control "I've tried several different pills and the nuva ring. I always had terrible side effects including bloating, mood swings, and dryness. This pill has been great. I've been on it for about eight months now. The only side effect I had was weight loss. I went from about 128 to 118 in one month."

Natalie S April 27, 2017

For Birth Control "I was on gianvi for about 3 years or so. At first I really really liked it. It was super easy to take, my skin cleared up, and my periods became sooo much easier as well as I stopped getting cysts. However, towards the end of my taking the pill I began to realize just how depressed it was making me. I began having suicidal thoughts, I was just in a really bad place and then it occurred to me that it might have been the birth control affecting me so I stopped taking it and I have been so much happier, the depression is as if it was never there. Looking back, I miss gianvi. It would have been perfect had it not affected my head."

Enw15 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 11, 2017

For Birth Control "I started this bc pill to regulate my period and then used as a birth control option. I always use a condom too so I can't give an honest opinion on how well it worked in that department. My shoulders and back had some mild acne but it's all cleared up by now, and I've been on the pill for 6 months. My face still get the occasional bump or two, but nothing nearly as bad. My body synced up to the pill and my period is light and only 3 days long. The worst side effects are nausea and the mood swings. I cry a lot easier now and seem irritable. The spotting stopped within the first two months of taking the pill."

annakristine13 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 29, 2017

For Acne "Since my early teens, I have endured horrible cystic acne covering my face, back, and chest. After trying various vitamins, creams, and dieting strategies, at 17 I started taking a low-estrogen pill. My acne flared up even worse. I then diagnosed myself with producing large amounts of the male hormone androgen and switched to Gianvi at 18. I have been on this pill for roughly 4 or 5 months, and have noticed a significant skin change. Instead of producing large cysts, I now have smaller pimples and for that, I am incredibly grateful. However, I now have the average amount of estrogen in my system, and so, for this reason, I have noticed a SIGNIFICANT weight change. I diet meticulously, and yet I have gained 15 pounds! Will be switching pills"

Veronica L. (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 26, 2017

For Menstrual Disorders "I took yaz when I was 18-20 with no issues at all. I'm now 27 and I was recently diagnosed with pcos, so I was prescribed yaz / gianvi to help with the side effects. I don't really have an irregular period, but more of the hormonal side effects. I took gianvi for one month with no weight gain, no nausea, but I had TERRIBLE migraines. It was truly debilitating. One was for at least 5 days. It got worse every time I took the pill, because I wasn't sure they were related until the 4th night of the migraine. I stopped taking it and the migraine stopped. Also, I had no sex drive for the entire month of taking this pill and really bad hot flashes and vag dryness. Pros: I had really clear skin & didn't get preg"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 18, 2017

For Menstrual Disorders "I am 25 years old. Not on birth control 2 years prior to taking this med. I just finished my 3rd month and everyday I have migraine, headaches and become dizzy for most of the day. I am switching. On the other hand I used to feel nauseous around my ovulation, this med fixed that. No weight gain. Acne diminished. But the migraines get in the way of school and work."

Gabriela Marie (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2017

For Birth Control "I took Yaz years ago, without issue. I don't know if it's my body aging or what, but when I started taking Gianvi (generic Yaz) 4 months ago, the depression/anxiety/anger side effect is just too much. I'm quitting. I have read that the synthetic hormone in this BC, drospirenone, can cause depression. For me, it's been dramatic. Every month about 5 days before my period, I cry uncontrollably and get irritable and angry for no reason. I'm dead-eyed depressed and feel lethargic at times. Also, I have ZERO sex drive and cannot climax when I do. I am not myself, mentally or emotionally, and it's just not worth it to take this pill any more. If you are prone to depression, do not take this."

CriesAlotLikeWayTooMuch (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2017