User Reviews for Gianvi

Gianvi has an average rating of 5.9 out of 10 from a total of 263 ratings on Drugs.com. 45% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 32% reported a negative effect.

Birth Control
5.3
Acne
7.3
Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder
6.8
Summary of Gianvi reviews 5.9 263 reviews

Reviews may be moderated to correct grammar/spelling or remove inappropriate language. Reviews that appear to be created by parties with a vested interest in the medication will not be published.

Reviews for Gianvi

Watarachel · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 29, 2021

For Birth Control: “I know there are a lot of bad reviews but honestly I don't mind this birth control. I dealt with some tender breasts and noticed I cried more frequently and felt in general a little more sad but we’re also in a pandemic. I haven't noticed any other side effects which is why I feel it should be an 8/10. I think people tend to write reviews when they have a negative experience but people should know it’s not all bad. I have definitely noticed the effects here and there but I overall feel good and it doesn't really effect my life other than remembering to take it. I would recommend it. The only thing is the heightened risk for blood clots and other deadly stuff which sucks.”

A · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 27, 2021

For Birth Control: “I’ve been using Gianvi for over 5 years and have had a great experience. Clear skin, light periods, no weight gain, and no pregnancy :) My previous birth control made my hair fall out but it has grown back since I made the switch to Gianvi. My pharmacy always has a hard time keeping it in stock but I always insist on this brand vs another generic. If you’re having trouble, try a local pharmacy instead of the big chains.”

SarahLovesB · Taken for less than 1 month April 23, 2021

For Birth Control: “So I was on Nikki before and loved it, but my pharmacy was out and gave me Gianvi. The positives: No acne No changes in sex drive No weight gain (but I did go up a cup size) Negatives: Bloating, bloating, bloating. Unfortunately, I will be switching back to Nikki.”

V October 19, 2019

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “After trying an IUD and two other pills, I was turned off by the idea of birth control because of how horribly depressed and moody the others made me feel. Gianvi has been totally different. I suffer from anxiety, acne, and PMDD. I have been taking Gianvi for about 4 months now. Emotionally, I feel the same as I did before, except my PMDD has improved drastically. It is not completely gone, but instead of feeling suicidally depressed for two weeks before my period, I just get a little down for only a few days which is huge for me. I have always struggled with acne and my skin has cleared up significantly since being on this pill. I still get pimples here and there, but nothing like before. Weight gain was a big concern of mine, but I am happy to report that I have not gained weight from this pill. And a bonus is that my boobs have gotten a bit bigger too! While Gianvi has not completely eradicated my acne or PMDD, I am so happy to have found a birth control pill that works well for me.”

Anon · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 7, 2018

For Birth Control: “I hate writing bad reviews, but PLEASE DO NOT use this birth control! I have been on it over a month and bleeding non stop, having anxiety attacks all day long while at work, intrusive awful thoughts, vision feels different and blurry, feeling depressed and moody one minute the next I’m fine. will not be taking anymore pills on this brand. I was on Loryna (which they say is comparable) and it is not. I felt perfectly fine on Loryna, and figured it would be the same on Gianvi. It’s not, I don’t want this to happen to anyone else, so please girls watch out.”

Annie March 29, 2021

For Birth Control: “I was on this for 10 years and LOVED it! I suffered from anxiety prior and this was given to me to help and it took it away completely! I had zero side effects on this BC pill. My pharmacy had a hard time ordering it and I missed taking it for a week and my husband and I wound up pregnant haha now that I’ve delivered my daughter I've specifically requested that brand (all other similar brands are NOTHING like Gianvi.. beware I tried 5 of them !) I swear by Gianvi”

eh2019 · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 14, 2021

For Birth Control: “I was on Gianvi for about 2 years and have recently gotten off of it. The first 5 to 7 months I felt quite emotional/anxious, I also went up about 1 cup size and my skin was perfect. However, it did prevent pregnancy, so I'm thankful for that. It also decreased the heaviness of my cycle. And it was free with BCBS! About 1.5 year in, I began noticing that I had vaginal dryness and my libido was super low as well. Since I was so dry, sex started becoming very painful and it seemed like no amount of lube could help. It has been just over 2 years and I have decided to get off Gianvi for a few months to see if my problems disappear. So far, it has been about 1 week and I feel really good. To anyone reading this post, I suggest you always listen to your body and find an understanding provider who can help you create a plan that you both agree on. Good luck!”

LuLu · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 11, 2019

For Acne: “I didn't realize that I had depression until after I started taking the medication. This tiny pill has changed my entire life, I am able to be the person I have always wanted to be without feeling mentally exhausted from being kind, energetic, or optimistic. I have been able to lose and maintain a healthy weight (was able to lose about 5 pounds, I am 5'3 weighing 123 so it's not like I have tooo much to lose, but still) ANDDDDD for the first since I was 11-years-old, I no longer have acne. After a decade of trying medicines and topical solutions and being a very healthy eater and exerciser, this pill is the only thing that has gotten rid of my acne for good. I know some people have a horrible experience on their birth control and I personally had no expectations of it, in fact I didn't think it would change anything. I can't imagine my life now without this medication and would recommend anyone at least give it a shot.”

Anonymous April 26, 2011

For Birth Control: “I first want to say that I read a bunch of reviews before starting Gianvi and became extremely nervous because of all the negatively. However, my experience has been absolutely wonderful, with only one complaint. I am on my third pack and am having the best periods of my life. Little cramps, no bloating, no mood swings, light flow, AMAZING! My mood overall has also been very positive. I'm much less stressed and don't feel as anxious. As for my skin, like my doctor said it did break out very bad at first, but it is clearing up. Also, my breasts have gotten noticeably bigger, which I love. My one and only complaint is I tend to be dry during sex, which has never been a problem before. But hey, there's things to help with that.”

Nina6742 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 29, 2013

For Birth Control: “I've been on many birth controls trying to find the right one for me. I was on Apri a couple years ago which gave me very bad anxiety so after that I switched to Tri-Sprintec. This pill didn't cause any anxiety but my skin broke out so terribly on it! My third and final switch was to "Yaz", at the pharmacy I was handed the generic Gianvi. I spent hours reading reviews and was a little nervous to start taking these pills but they have been great. My skin has completely cleared up, I never break out at all anymore. I had no mood changes or anxiety, nor weight gain. This pill is sensitive with regards to breakthrough bleeding, if just one pill is missed you can expect spotting the next day. Otherwise an AWESOME pill! Highly recommend!”

Missy October 15, 2020

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “I have been on Gianvi around 7 months now for PMDD. Prior to Gianvi I had the copper IUD which I didn't like. Every month would get suicidal depression before my period. I did the research found out about PMDD. I started taking Gianvi and my 1st month on it was happiest I'd been in awhile. I felt a lot more balanced and less stressed. Maybe it was placebo affect bc the following months weren't necessarily as great but my PMDD was still WAY better. Last month switched me to loryna which was making me feel so depressed and crazy I stopped taking it after 2 weeks. After a lot of desperate searching I found another pharmacy that carries Gianvi & am back on it. It has only been a few days & I feel back to normal. I haven't had any negative effects, no weight gain & if anything my skin has improved. I know birth control isn't necessarily the most natural or healthy thing but it is better than feeling suicidal every month. I have tried lots of different birth controls & this is the only one I have liked.”

TEANAD February 29, 2020

For Birth Control: “I’ve been on Gianvi for about 3 months now and honestly at first I was very worried about side effects and very nervous as to what would happen to my body but it’s the best decision I ever made! Within the first week of starting the pill I was nauseous almost everyday (I take my pill at 9:00 pm), every now and then I’ll get a bit nauseous but it is tolerable. I did not gain/lose any weight, and do not bleed (nor haven’t bled) any other time than when I menstruate within the first three days of starting the placebo pills. The only significant complaint I have is frequent headaches. I have a headache at some point throughout the day almost every day, some last hours and others, minutes. Again, they are uncomfortable but tolerable and if they are very bad, I’ll take some OTC pain relief drugs. I am happy having peace of mind and no more pregnancy scares! Also, my periods have shortened, lightened, and are much less painful ever since I started taking Gianvi, which is great.”

Anon · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 11, 2019

For Acne: “The Gianvi pill is the best of the best for acne!!!! I had painful cysts for almost 20 years and absolutely nothing worked. They wanted to put me on spirolactone, but my blood pressure is too low to take it. Gianvi was basically my last hope. It cleared the cysts themselves quickly, and then I had to go on a presciption cream to get rid of the scarring. My skin is now completely clear, and I even get comments about it. HOWEVER... Huge downside to the pill: I have no sex drive at all. All I feel when I have sex is friction. Its awful. Now that I'm almost 40, I'm talking with my dr about alternatives.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 23, 2021

For Birth Control: “I got on Gianvi at 19 years old when my periods were irregular and I had horrible cramps, to prevent pregnancy and help my acne. It helped my acne a lot and I was excited to finally not worry about pregnancy at a young age. I was skeptical about side effects at first but waited three months before judging my experience at all to make sure I was used to it. I ended up staying on Gianvi for about 6 months. My experience was terrible. I would’ve taken acne over the effects it had on my mental health any day. I had crippling anxiety everyday that I never experienced prior to. It eventually got so bad that I had panic attacks everyday and cried and didn’t eat for 3 days. I ended it immediately and while I still suffer from mild anxiety, it’s a million times better than it was when I took this. Please be careful and pay attention to your body”

Sophie April 23, 2019

For Birth Control: “This was one of the worst experiences of my life. Women who have a history of anxiety and depression should be warned not to take Gianvi contraceptive pill. It made me have horrifying panic attacks and an episode of depression. I felt very drowsy, constantly nauseous and fatigued. I am not on any other type of medication and have a very active healthy lifestyle. This pill was like poison for the whole body. I am so angry I wasn’t warned about all these VERY serious side effects.”

BibiB · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 10, 2013

For Birth Control: “I LOVE GIANVI! No mood swings, no weight gain, it's helped my acne, it controls my appetite, and my breasts have actually gotten bigger. I have been on and off of Gianvi for three years now (I tried different birth controls here and there but I always come back to Gianvi because it has always been the best for me) and it's absolutely free! I definitely recommend it, but like always, everyone is different.”

A · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 2, 2020

For Birth Control: “Does anyone experience stomach pain and discomfort from their birth control? I keep having to switch generic versions because after a few months by stomach will just generally ache all the time. Nikki seems to be bad as well as Loryna. I’m back to Giavani which was fine for the longest amount of time.”

Anonymous September 1, 2010

For Birth Control: “In my third month of taking Gianvi I have had major mood swings, depression, anxiety, and changes in appetite varying from nausea to over eating. I have not felt like this before with any other birth control. A little with Ortho-Tri Cyclen but I don't think it is as bad as this. I feel like I'm at constant war with myself to keep my emotions and my feelings in line. I'm not a usually emotional person so all these feelings are very overwhelming and frustrating. I have an appointment in a week to go to planned parenthood and ask for a different kind of birth control. I've decided to stop taking it today. It does work however, I have not gotten pregnant. ”

BellaMaya · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 2, 2019

For Acne: “Aside from preventing pregnancy, my goal on this pill was to eliminate my horrible adult acne. Months 1-3 I noticed no improvement in my skin. Then, at the end of month 3, I was bleeding for weeks on end. By month 4, my skin dramatically changed. The heavy bleeding stopped and my skin was flawless. I like to think my body was ‘purging’ with the heavy bleeding and my body was adjusted to the pill. My skin remains clear, and my period always comes around the 3rd or 4th pill.”

Anonymous September 3, 2020

For Birth Control: “I was really worried about starting on Gianvi after reading all of these negative reviews. It started out fine with no major mood shifts. But then I started on my second pack and was in the depths of despair. I have a history of depression and anxiety, so I was not sure whether it was the birth control, but it got to the point where I was in such a dark place. I decided to stop Gianvi and instantly felt better. It was like a cloud lifted off my head. People react differently to this, so I’m not dissuading someone from trying it. But just be vigilant for the side effects.”

sadgirl February 24, 2020

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “This pill was great for the first couple months. My acne cleared, which was a problem due to my PCOS, and my periods were finally regular. I could feel these mood swings coming on, but I felt like a demon. This all hit me full force after I passed the third month. I was irritated at the smallest things, zero libido, it was an out of body experience. My self esteem plummeted to where I never wanted to even look at myself, severely depressed and anxiety which I have not struggled with in the past and gained 15 pounds out of nowhere. I couldn’t go an hour without crying. One day and almost had to pull over while driving because I couldn’t breathe. The way these hormones hit me was a nightmare, I am never ever going back to the pill. I’ve done too much trial and error for this, it’s not worth my mental health/state of mind. One week off of it and I feel like myself again, thank goodness. Avoid Gianvi if you want to keep your brain the same!!!!”

Anonymous April 15, 2012

For Acne: “I was very apprehensive to take this medication because of all the negative reviews on this site and others, but I'm telling you, TRY THIS PILL. I've literally tried every product, been to multiple doctors and dermatologist, have had facials, treatments, etc., etc... NOTHING has worked. Except this. PROS: Started to control my acne(less "patchiness", less breakouts), made my breasts grow almost a whole cup size bigger in the first 2 packs, made me more relaxed and chill then I already was, 4 DAY PERIODS. CONS: the first pack I experienced constant spotting and really bad mood swings (only the first month, after the first pack I am more in control than ever) I can now go to the dermatologist to fix my scaring and my skin will be perfect! good luck!”

Fox · Taken for less than 1 month April 13, 2021

For Acne: “I started this birth control for acne around my chin and jaw line. It was mainly whiteheads and clogged pores. I would get about 2-3 break outs a week. I’m on week 2 of this medication and I’m definitely experiencing the WORST breakouts. Lots of cystic acne on my jaw and chin (like 8-10 spots). Legit embarrassing to go in public type of break outs. I’m praying it’ll clear up in the next couple weeks but I’m absolutely one of those who is experiencing a worse before better (hopefully).”

Moni · Taken for less than 1 month October 11, 2018

For Birth Control: “I’ve just started to take this pill I believe 5 days ago and I would say it’s working great. I haven’t had any problems other than fatigue and moodiness. I was skeptical about taking this pill since there was mixed reviews but one of my good friends said that birth control pills work differently for everyone, so don’t be afraid to try it. My doctor prescribed me this one. This is the first birth control I took and I don’t have anything bad to say about it. Don’t rely on reviews because it may work for you unlike others!!”

Used for years · Taken for 10 years or more September 22, 2019

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “I started taking this as a teen when my psychiatrist recommended that I ask an OBGYN about it for mood regulation. I came off of it for a few years wanting to take a more natural approach but ultimately decided that being on this was in the best interest of my mental health. I am aware of the risks but to put it into perspective my dr says that you’re taking more of a risk with your life every time you get in a car than you do taking this pill.”

Irish Girl May 17, 2013

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “This is the best birth control I have ever been on! I'm willing to pay extra for it. Give it a chance, ignore the negative reviews (everyone is different). This birth control keeps me happy, did not affect my sex drive, continues to keep my skin clear and as an added bonus I gained a cup size. I give it an A, about time something works right for me.”

g · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 9, 2021

For Birth Control: “The worst birth control I’ve ever been on. I was on it for 3 months and the third month I started experiencing awful anxiety and panic attacks to the point that I became very depressed. I have never experienced any of these things so to have all three come unexpectedly was scary. I finally got off of it and feel so much better. My anxiety isn’t bad anymore and no longer experiencing panic attacks daily. The worst experience on birth control that I’ve ever had.”

Iggs August 27, 2013

For Acne: “After trying almost everything to treat my sudden/severe cystic acne (diet changes, topical and internal antibiotics, regular aesthetician visits, other birth controls) this is the ONLY thing that has worked. My acne was isolated to where a man would grow a beard which indicated I had higher than normal testosterone levels. No initial breakout either! Within the first month, I noticed less breaking out. I broke out during my first period, but I'm in month two and my skin is almost totally clear of active breakouts and no cysts! Seriously a miracle, this medication saved my sanity, social life and self esteem. It costs me $85/month with no insurance but worth it. Still experiencing spotting but it should dissipate after a few more pill packs.”