User Reviews for Gianvi

Birth Control
5.8

Summary of Gianvi reviews 6.1 171 reviews

Reviews for Gianvi

For Birth Control "Gianvi made me break out like CRAZY. Whatever additional fillers they use made react poorly. So switched to brand name YAZ and my skin completely cleared up."

adarlene (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 26, 2018

For Acne "Can't say I'm a fan. I went on Gianvi for acne and mood swings. The first two months were a really rough adjustment. I levelled out after that and my acne seemed to calm down a bit, but my mood swings were still bad. It's been 6 months now and I'm going to kick this pill to the curb. I've had bad acne flair ups, menstruating twice a month, and my mood is up and down constantly. If the reason you are taking a medication is to help rectify a problem, and that problem becomes worse, it's not worth it."

Marie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 25, 2018

For Birth Control "I got on gianvi after yaz because it was cheaper. It helped to clear my hormonal cystic acne. I started in February of 2016. 2 months later I noticed weird symptoms with my eyes. They were constantly aching and it hurt to blink. Fast forward a year and a half and it’s still getting worse (I honestly thought it was from me getting older). Turns out I had severe dry eye and inflammation, which would cause migraines (never had these before). So I went on some medication to bring down the swelling in my eyes. Come to find out that my birth control is the only reason for my weird eye symptoms and migraines. Got off the birth control and less than 5 days later, my eyes went completely back to normal. Was on this stuff for over 2 years. Took forever to realize."

ChrystaL (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 5, 2018

For Birth Control "Gianvi has been a disaster. I was so excited to take it as I needed a birth control method and also have adult acne and PCOS, and it's supposed to be good for that. After the very first pill I felt very bad, with heavy fatigue, nausea, and headaches. I thought I had a stomach bug and just needed a day to rest. Then I started having panic attacks and severe depression. I had to leave work it was so terrible. Over the next 7 days the nausea and headaches persisted, and I alternated between periods of panic, anxiety, severe anger, and sadness. One day I sobbed the entire day for absolutely no reason. It ruined my sex drive. I couldn't get wet enough to have sex at all. I have run 25 miles per week for two years and never missed a week, but for the 7 days I was on Yaz I couldn't run because I was so exhausted. Even doing the dishes or taking a shower was too exhausting. My acne got a lot worse. This drug is dangerous!"

Katie May 21, 2018

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder "I was on Yasmin and loved it. I lost weight, my skin cleared, my cramps and bloating gone. I had severe PMDD and it helped BUT I was bleeding constantly. I felt so good I stuck it out for 8 months hoping to adjust which I didn't, so my doctor switched me to yaz and I ended up with the generic Giavni. It's AWFUL! My mood swings are back, I'm depressed and have no energy. I gained 4lbs and cramped 3 weeks out of the month. My back hurts. And I'm still constantly bleeding. I made it through two packs but I can't take anymore. So I'm switching again."

P (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2018

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder "I started Gianvi March of last year and requested this brand specifically, because a friend had told me how well it worked for them, and it is the generic for Yasmin, which is often used to treat PMDD. I was seriously suffering mentally and emotionally every month before starting Gianvi. Granted I have battled depression/bipolar disorder for quite some time, but everything was so much darker right before my period. I was extremely irritable to the point where everything set me off and I'd get violent, I was crying uncontrollably, completely hopeless, suicidal, etc. In addition to this, I also suffered from pretty bad acne (I'd get large, painful, cystic-like pimples every month that would then often take months to go away). While I still do get acne (I've had it since my early teen years), I no longer get the kind of acne I had been, and it is much more manageable. I'm so glad I gave Gianvi a shot."

Kim (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 9, 2018

For Birth Control "The first probably 5 months of this pill was awful. My skin got worst, I spotted, and I had bad anxiety. However, it's been two years now and I have never been happier. I haven't had a bad pimple in MONTHS and my acne completely cleared. We stopped using condoms and have been fine, no scares. My period is only 3 days and very light, plus it starts always on the hour! It's amazing. Plus, I lost about 10 pounds from 127 to 117 at 5.4'"

AnnaKristine (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 8, 2018

For Birth Control "This birth control made me feel AWFUL! I had terrible back and abdominal pain while taking it and even for some time after it. It took my body awhile to adjust and to feel normal again after taking this pill. It caused migraines, fatigue, and mood swings. I also experienced changes in my digestive system and felt bloated most of the time. I felt my personality completely change on this pill. Overall, I would not recommend anyone to put this pill into their body."

Shelb (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2018

For Acne "I just wanted to share how extremely grateful I am for Gianvi! I was on Yaz for about 3 years and switched to Gianvi for the past seven years because it was cheaper. My face has been completely clear (after trying everything from topical treatments to multiple antibiotics) and my period has been very light - usually only lasting 2 days. I am worried about breaking out again after I stop taking Gianvi and I hope to stay on it as long as I can."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) April 17, 2018

For Birth Control "I have had no trouble with this pill at all. My period starts the same time every month and I hardly bleed when it comes. I used to have awful irregular periods that came with awful cramps, but now I have a very light flow and little to no cramping."

Margo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 10, 2018

For Birth Control "Wow worst generic oral contraceptive ever!!! I have been on this for three months (was on YAZ for 1.5 years prior without issues) and my PMDD is HORRIFIC for 7-10 days before/around my period. Severe depression, anxiety, panic, crying...just awful. Please request YAZ and not the generic."

CNC (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2018

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder "I start my pills tonight! I was on lexapro for 2 years to treat PMDD which was terrible for me and my loved ones. Lost sex drive completely and gained 42 lbs so doctor is treating me with this drug in order to stop my cycle and relieve me of PMDD without lexapro Stay tuned!"

Coleman (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2018

For Birth Control "The absolute worst birth control that I have EVER taken! I had to stop taking this pill halfway through the pack because of the side effects. One day I found myself crying totally out of no where, I was also becoming depressed which is very uncommon for me, being that I'm a pretty jovial person. Another terrible factor for me was the heavy bleeding even after my period had ended. I already have extremely heavy and painful menstrual cycles as it is, so the fact that I was bleeding even more was a no-go for me. My appetite fluctuated from day to day but I still gained a few pounds. I'll be switching to a different one ASAP."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2018

For Menstrual Disorders "I have been on several pills over the past year and a half. Gianvi has been amazing for me! The first month, my period was light and my cramps were way less. I typically had 2 days of very heavy cramping and heavy bleeding for 3-5 days. After the first month, the periods kept getting lighter and lighter. I’m at month 6 now and haven’t had a period in 2 months! The first month I broke out a bit, but now my skin is completely clear! I love this pill and hope they never stop making it. If you’re just starting Gianvi, I suggest giving it a few months before throwing in the towel. I’m so glad I did."

MamaB (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 9, 2018

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder "Stay away from this pill!! I have always had a happy upbeat personality but this pill killed that. I started to notice half way through my 4th month that I would start to cry over stupid small things and my anxiety was so debilitating . I am not using this pill ever!"

Hate crying ! (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 5, 2018

For Birth Control "I have been using Gianvi for the past two months. I have started to get horrible migraines, chest pain, nauseous and anxiety. However, my acne has been in control. I am planning on getting off this medication because the migraines are unbearable."

Gul (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2018

For Birth Control "If I could give it less stars I would. Had strange side effects from day 1 on this birth control, drastically lost weight (I am already thin could not afford to lose pounds), huge cysts on upper back, nausea..By month three I was having debilitating menstrual cramps all month long, diarrhea, and my heart was racing all the time. I ended up in the ER..based on symptoms they thought I had a ruptured ovarian cyst..then all scans showed nothing!! Stopped the birth control and in less than two weeks all symptoms had vanished."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 16, 2018

For Birth Control "Now I’ve shared on this pill before, but I’ve been on it for almost a year and a half now. Even though it sucks stick it out for AT LEAST 4 months. Yeah the beginning sucks, you’re spotting, acne gets worse, moody. However, I’ve had the best skin of my last this last year. I also went from 127 to 119 pounds, but my boobs got slightly larger (win-win am I right?). I thought it was giving me bad headaches, but in reality it’s mostly from dehydration. While my anxiety is still bad on the pill, a lot of it is probably natural. CONS: ~can be slightly moody and have bad anxiety some days ~some months I begin my period A WEEK early, before the placebo pills (usually due to stress) PROS: ~no pregnancy ~clear skin ~lost about 10 pounds"

annakristine December 21, 2017

For Birth Control "All that I can say is that it has done nothing but good for me"

Addow789 (taken for less than 1 month) December 6, 2017

For Birth Control "I have been on gianvi for about 4 years. I was previously talking Lo Estrin but it made me really depressed and I never had a period. As soon as I switched I felt a lot better and I get a mild period the same time every month. It also really cleared my face up I get almost no breakouts and also didn’t experience weight gain but everyone is different. I did recently get switched to the Nikki version of the pill and it was TERRIBLE. I got lumps in my breast had horrible migraines and also experienced multiple hot flashes throughout the day. I finally got gianvi back and almost immediately this side affects went away. If you are on a brand of pill that works for you don’t let them switch you just make them order it or find a new pharmacy"

Siddddd November 30, 2017

For Birth Control "Took this medication, as Vestura was no longer available... I began having yeast infection symptoms on a monthly basis to having full reoccurring yeast infections monthly. Finally concluded Gianvi birth control pills were the cause after quitting Gianvi altogether. Everyone's body is different. Vestura wasn't perfect but it worked better for me than Gianvi. Awful! 6 months of yeast infections!"

Assfghjkl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 21, 2017

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder "I've tried what feels like every birth control for the last 15 years, and always come back to gianvi. I have severe PMDD. Gianvi is the only birth control that controls my cramps, my excessive anxiety, and also keeps those hormonal cysts on my chin at bay. I took it straight for 8 years, came off it because of those scary ads on tv about blood clots, and tried lo-lo. My hair was falling out in massive clumps within two months so I stopped bc entirely. Well, after 6 months I realized my life was revolving around my cycle because of the pmdd anxiety. So, back on gianvi. Within weeks, I felt back to my normal self. 8 because it does worsen my cellulite on thighs that almost completely goes away when I stop taking it. But the cellulite is WORTH IT."

raccoonmath November 4, 2017

For Birth Control "Hello again! I've given a couple detailed updates on Gianvi in the past few months. I've been on the pill consistently from June- end of October. I decided to give my body a break and will continue the pill again shortly. I can genuinely say that I felt completely normal the past few months, however, I did gain weight and felt serious abdominal bloat at all times. No matter how hard I worked out and watched my diet, I could not shed the 10-15 lb weight gain. This is my first week off of it, and BAM, I have miraculously bounced back my pre-BC body! My stomach looks and feels flatter and my thighs and arms look slender again. I have no complaints about this pill, but don't let anyone tell you different - you DO gain weight on this pill."

btl234 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 2, 2017

For Acne "I've been using Gianvi for 7 months now and my skin is clear and I didn't have acne before but the usual breakouts here and there. I do get extremely irritable the last week of pills but I guess that's expected. Other than that no complains besides the usual headaches like twice a month."

letisan88 September 5, 2017

For Acne "I am not one to write reviews, but I'm compelled to warn others about the serious side effects I've experienced. I took Gianvi after I took Yaz, and because both pills contain the same amount of hormones, I thought that I will have the same, fine experience with Gianvi as I did with Yaz. Upon my first week into the pill, I became depressed and dealt with some serious anxiety. These mental symptoms only worsened as the days progressed and as I approached the end of the pack, I suffered constant suicidal thoughts. Once I realized that this pill was the cause of my madness, I immediately stopped. It's been 2 days since I last took the pill and I feel better already. Also, the pill did nothing for my moderately to severe acne."

IndigoB August 18, 2017