User Reviews for Gianvi

Birth Control
5.8

Summary of Gianvi reviews 6.1 195 reviews

Reviews for Gianvi

For Acne "I have had severe cystic acne for a decade now since I was 13 years old and I'm now 23 so after trying many many different treatments my dermatologist finally insisted that I go on accutane but to be on accutane you have to also be on 2 forms of birth control. I was prescribed Gianvi and I swear like 90% of my acne cleared up within a WEEK. I am so happy I have had nooooo side effects whatsoever the only side effect I have is clear skin and I couldn't be happier. "

bean (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2019

For Birth Control "I began taking birth control when I was 16 because I went to my doctor concerned about acne. She prescribed me YAZ and it helped clear up my acne right away. I continued to stay on YAZ/Gianvi for 12 years after. When I got married I decided to go off of the drug. My doctor never mentioned anything about the possible changes my body would go through when I discontinued the drug. Turns out that birth control can completely alter the flora in your digestive tract. I began experiencing serious digestive issues and my doctor told me that I had IBS and was put on Viberzi. A few weeks later I was having severe gallbladder pain and I had to have my gallbladder removed. I have read that birth control can cause gall bladder issues too so I think I just had an all around bad experience when I decided to go off of this drug and I was not given any warning. I just want to let other women know that this drug is effective, however you need to be very aware of the changes it can make to your body."

P January 2, 2019

For Acne "This is the first bc pill that that prevented pregnancy and cleared up some mild adult acne without making me crazy. Every other form of Yaz or other bc pills I've been on had made me an emotional wreck with extreme moodiness. I am happy to report I have clear skin and a clear happy mind as well."

Rissy1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 18, 2018

For Birth Control "I have been on Gianvi for 5 months. The first month I had bad mood swings but that went away. My period is lighter. I still have some PMS symptoms before my period. My moods have been better. The pill has cleared my skin. I have not gained any weight. I really like this birth control."

Bab (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 12, 2018

For Birth Control "This has been the worst experience of my life. I’m doing nothing but bleeding and bleeding and bleeding constantly for the past 5 months. Coming from someone who used to have bad anxiety and overcame it mostly... it has made me have anxiety attack’s a few times a week. I feel lack of motivation don’t know if that’s due to my constant period or the medicine. I’ve never had a good experience with any BC pill or depo shot."

Tay (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 26, 2018

For Acne "It's my first month taking the Gianvi pills and so far it has helped my acne calm down and the only side effects that I've had so far are tender breasts and light headaches every once in a while."

Hot_cookie (taken for less than 1 month) November 26, 2018

For Birth Control "I kept trying to figure out why I felt so much better this month and why I’ve finally been able to lose some weight and abdominal bloating. I follow a pretty healthy diet and workout hard usually around 5 days a week and sometimes twice a day. Sadly, it never occurred to me it was my birth control! I’ve been taking Loryna for 3-4 years and will definitely NOT be taking that again. Previously I was on Ocella and Yaz. I’ve been on Gianvi for almost a month and feel so much better. I’ve lost weight and definitely the bloat. I haven’t noticed any changes in my mood and if anything my sex drive is better."

WBE (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on this birth control for three years and I absolutely loved it and put up with it solely because it cleared my skin up beautifully. But ladies please please be aware that this specific birth control can increase digestive flora and give you terrible IBS symptoms. My symptoms were so bad to the point where I required surgery and I failed to recognize that this birth control was the reason why. After this, I began to develop chronic yeast infections/ irritations. Making sex a nuisance and me being EXTREMELY uncomfortable. This pill may work for others just fine but be aware that the high levels of estrogen can take a huge toll on the female body."

Kara1908 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 1, 2018

For Acne "I used to be on the generic of Yasmin (Zarah) and my insurance stopped paying for it so I was switched to Syeda (another generic) and I literally had a new zit every single day. After a few months on that I finally convinced my doctor to write me a different prescription, so he put me on Gianvi and from the FIRST day I took it I haven’t had one new breakout. My skin is glowing and I feel great. Haven’t gained any weight either! I strongly recommend this birth control!"

Cassie October 21, 2018

For Birth Control "I started using Gianvi 2 1/2 months ago and it has been great! I have PCOS and before I started taking Gianvi my periods were a nightmare! I couldn't use tampons because I would bleed over them in ten minutes. I would bleed 15-19 days straight. The cramps were so bad, I would rather give birth. The first 3 days of my period if I stood up blood would run down my legs. Since starting Gianvi my periods are light and last 4 days and hardly no cramps "

Momabear2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 18, 2018

"I was on Loryna for a year and a half but then switched to Gianvi because the pharmacy was out it Loryna. A month on it was fine but towards the end I got severe anxiety and felt depressed constantly. I’m having crazy thoughts, doubting relationships I have and my career path and future for absolutely no reason. This is totally unlike me too. I had to go buy a pack of Loryna from the pharmacy and amazingly I’m getting better after taking 4 days of Loryna."

Me (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 15, 2018

For Acne "I am almost done with my first month of Gianvi. I have tried just about everything for my moderate cystic acne and am sad to say it has so far gotten worse on this medication. I have a history of minor depression/anxiety but have been happy and unmedicated until starting this pill. Since starting this pill, my anxiety has sky rocketed and my sex drive has decreased big time. I am 2 days away from the sugar pill and debating whether or not to stop taking it."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 15, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve just started to take this pill I believe 5 days ago and I would say it’s working great. I haven’t had any problems other than fatigue and moodiness. I was skeptical about taking this pill since there was mixed reviews but one of my good friends said that birth control pills work differently for everyone, so don’t be afraid to try it. My doctor prescribed me this one. This is the first birth control I took and I don’t have anything bad to say about it. Don’t rely on reviews because it may work for you unlike others!!"

Moni (taken for less than 1 month) October 11, 2018

For Birth Control "I really liked Gianvi, I'm a little upset about the one side effect that's making me cease using it: extreme hair loss. Gained a little weight and my breasts are bigger but I recently noticed bald spots on my scalp I started using rogaine 4 weeks ago but it's too soon to notice change. And last night I noticed a new balding area. It is quite upsetting. Other than that, I get headaches often and have 7 day long periods. Apparently, desogestrel birth controls are "hair friendly pills." I may have to pair that up with "a testosterone blocker, like spironolactone, can be additionally beneficial for those who have experienced hormonal hair." "

Person1234 October 10, 2018

For Birth Control "I hate writing bad reviews, but PLEASE DO NOT use this birth control! I have been on it over a month and bleeding non stop, having anxiety attacks all day long while at work, intrusive awful thoughts, vision feels different and blurry, feeling depressed and moody one minute the next I’m fine. will not be taking anymore pills on this brand. I was on Loryna (which they say is comparable) and it is not. I felt perfectly fine on Loryna, and figured it would be the same on Gianvi. It’s not, I don’t want this to happen to anyone else, so please girls watch out."

Anon (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 7, 2018

For Birth Control "I've been on Gianvi for 7 years now. It has prevented pregnancy, which is the main point of taking it. I can't remember having any issues with nausea when I first started taking it, but I usually take it with food. My periods are normal, I wouldn't say lighter on this pill. I still get cramps and moodiness, and it definitely kills my sex drive. One odd fact about this pill is that since I've been taking this brand, I developed IBS. I've actually seen research studies that link IBS to Yaz and it's generic counterparts. I'm finishing out my last pill pack of Gianvi and switching to something else to see if the IBS diminishes. I wouldn't say Gianvi has been terrible, but I think I could feel better on something else."

Mada (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 4, 2018

For Birth Control "I have only been on Gianvi for a month and a half and absolutely do not like it. Started spotting while on active pills, then started bleeding heavily for over a week and still am. It’s a never ending period!"

Anon (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 1, 2018

For Birth Control "I have been on Gianvi for about a month. At first, I think it gave me mood swings. I was very irritable. But it seems to have calmed down. There's no other negative thing for me to say about it. On the positive side, it has cleared up my acne and my skin looks and feels better. I haven't had my first period on the pill yet."

Bab (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2018

For Birth Control "This birth control was terrible. Not only did I have bad depression and anxiety while I was on it I also got pregnant with twins. Don't trust this stuff at all."

Apples (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 29, 2018

For Birth Control "I've been taking Gianvi for approximately 2 years. Switched from Tri-Sprintec because it made my acne 50x worse. This medication is very affordable and works well. I haven't had any pregnancy scares or major issues. I will say the cons to this pill is that I am virtually always not 'in the mood', even when I want to be. It also can cause moodiness sometimes in stressful situations. Lastly I get exhausted quite fast but I just power through it. I still get occasional breakouts but they are nowhere near what I used to get (cystic acne around my chin/neck area). I can personally deal with the side effects since, again, it seems quite effective at preventing pregnancy which is the most important aspect for me."

FoxLady95 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 11, 2018

For Acne "I was so nervous to try this after reading the reviews but I'm so glad I made the leap. I'm 35 and have been struggling for a decade with next-level awful cramps (vomiting/unhealthy amount of Advil), moderate cystic acne and PMS that made me psycho. I stuck it out since I had bad birth control experiences before but no natural remedy worked for me and it wore me down to the point where I couldn't stand it anymore. My doctor recommended Gianvi and I've been on it 6 months now. My face is virtually clear, the cramps are so mild (more like bloating), the emotional stuff is manageable and my weight has stayed the same. The first month was great. Month two and three were rough emotionally as my body adjusted (really dark thoughts) but I stuck it out on my doctor's recommendation since my cramps and acne were better. I don't know if my 25-year old self could have made it through those two months but I'm kicking myself for not having taken this years ago."

Amont September 10, 2018

For Birth Control "I wish I could rate this with 0 stars. I took ONE pill and it was the worst thing that ever happened to me. I took the first pill at 10pm and by 1am, I couldn't breathe. The worst anxiety I've ever experienced in my life hit me and it hit me hard. And coming from someone who has suffered from anxiety and depression and takes Prozac, this wasn't anything close to what I've experienced in the past. I've dealt with death, loss, body dysmorphia, etc. This was the worst pain I've ever felt. I said rash things to my boyfriend and almost lost my relationship. I stopped taking it but the hormones are still in my body after 2 days. I haven't eaten for 48 hours and I'm still extremely anxious and my had has been flooded with intrusive thoughts. Please, do not take this pill."

Camille (taken for less than 1 month) September 5, 2018

For Birth Control "My doctor prescribed me Gianvi to help my debilitating cramps and terrible heavy bleeding. My cramps would make me puke I couldn’t even talk or get up. And I would bleed through if I didn’t change my tampon after 20 minutes. But after being on this pill it has drastically helped my bleeding and my cramps are still kinda bad but definitely not as bad as they used to be but I have to say that this gave me terrible nausea and bad headaches. My pimples cleared up as well. The only con for me is the nausea and headaches but it did it’s job"

Taylor (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 4, 2018

For Birth Control "I am so glad there are other reviews here. I thought I was losing my mental health. This pill has made me an absolute crazy person. I can't tell you the effects this has had on my life and my relationships (friends, work, boyfriend) I've been extremely depressed and have had bursts of rage and or tears, I started to realize (in the midst of an emotional breakdown) the way I was reacting to things was not normal, I finally connected the dots and realized it was because my pill changed to Givani 3 weeks ago. I've been on BC for 10 years so I don't think it was just an adjustment. Also had really bad acne but that was the least of my worries."

Na (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2018

For Acne "So I have been taking Gianvi for 2 months going into my 3rd. I will say my husband and I haven't got pregnant so it works in that department. I really wanted something for my acne as I have suffered from it for years. Acne is one of the reasons for me taking this one. I am not sure if it hasn't been enough time or not and am not completely sure if it's helping or not. I do think my dark spots are getting lighter but I am still breaking out here and there. Not bad but it doesn't look good either. My period still last 7 days as always which I hate but it haven't been super heavy I guess. Like the others, I have not had any mood swings, etc and my sex drive is still normal."

Chrissy (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2018