User Reviews for Velivet to treat Birth Control

Velivet has an average rating of 5.4 out of 10 from a total of 38 ratings for the treatment of Birth Control. 34% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 34% reported a negative effect.

Velivet Rating Summary

5.4/10 average rating

Compare all 277 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Velivet

Daniela D December 26, 2016

“I was a bit on the edge to start taking this pill, because of how poorly it was reviewed. I'm now a couple months in, and I have no complaints. My mood has stayed as positive as before, and I have had depression before but no signs of that came back. My sex drive was pretty high before, and is now the same, or even more now that I don't have to worry about getting pregnant. I haven't gained any bloatingness, or gained weight, but that could be because I exercise, and have a minimal decreased appetite since I've been on the pill. My acne has been clearing up as well. The only weight gain I have noticed is that my breasts grew a whole cup size. Nothing but positive effects from velvivet!”

Lyn · Taken for less than 1 month August 27, 2020

“I was excited to try this birth control because after talking to my doctor this seemed like a much better match then when I was on nexplanon. Sadly I was only able to take this for the first week. This birth control gave me the WORST migraines of my life EVER. For a week straight I have been dizzy and my insomnia is so bad I haven’t slept for the past two nights. But the thing that pushed me to the breaking point is that it caused me hallucinations twice on the last day of taking it. And not to mention the miserable depression.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month November 21, 2020

“I have been on this birth control pill Velivet for about two weeks and I can personally say that I’m quite upset. This is my third birth control. In the past two weeks I have experienced major cystic acne, depression, breast tenderness (the first week), and cramps while NOT on my period. I’m taking it in time daily but I’m going to stop taking this pill and I try another.”

Alicia · Taken for 10 years or more June 17, 2018

“I have been on Velivet for 12 years and have never had a single issue. My periods are lighter and extremely regular. So specific that I know the exact day and time of day I'll start. There's always a trial period when taking a new medicine so definitely get this medicine the full 3 month try.”

ForeverNauseated January 27, 2013

“I have taken it only a month and have experienced bloating, nausea, breast tenderness, fluctuation in appetite, constipation, and I get mad at my boyfriend very easily. Plus all of these symptoms make me not feel like having sex. ”

Asii · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 3, 2017

“This birth control has been a savior for me. After trying two different birth controls (Alesse and NuvaRing), I was losing hope that there was a good bcp out there. But velivet has been great! I didn't gain any weight, I don't feel any moodier, my acne has cleared up, my periods are lighter. Only complaint (which isn't really one, it's subjective) is that my sex drive is a lot more.”

Anonymous July 26, 2011

“I'll keep this short. I have taken Tri Lo Sprintec, Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo, and Velivet (in that order). Although my experience with Velivet was not as bad as with Ortho Tri Cyclen, it wasn't great. Pros: I lost weight, very regular periods, effective as birth control. Cons: Velivet completely killed my sex drive. Not only that, it turned me into a nervous wreck - and I am usually a pretty calm person. I was constantly worried about the way others perceived me, what my boyfriend *really* thought about me (believe me ladies, he is not a master of subtlety... there was no reason for me to be feeling this way), etc. ”

KJ107 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 14, 2016

“I've been on this birth control for about six months now and it's by far the best one I've ever taken. It definitely does the job, no babies and lighter periods, the first month was hard, depressed and low sex drive but those symptoms have gone now. I started the pack on the first day after my period, it has completely cleared up any acne, my boobs have gone up a size and I feel I've lost some weight due to a lack of appetite. I think if u can get through the first month without any serious problems this medication should work out fine for u. My only issue I would say is some months my period is a few days off.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 16, 2014

“It has worked great for preventing pregnancy, but has it's downfalls. It has increased my migraines greatly and also has lowered my sex drive. I have also noticed since taking it I have been less happy and occasionally a lot more moody.”

Nic January 24, 2021

“I have been on Velivet for about 8 years now. I haven’t had any bad side effects besides some minor weight gain. Periods only are three days now and light, no breakouts (acne) and it is very easy to use every day and you know when your cycle starts exactly. I haven’t had any mood swings. I’m surprised by all the bad reviews I’m seeing on this pill as I haven’t had any issues but I have never missed a pill or got off birth control once I started this pill so I’m not sure if that has anything to do with it.”

svalentine July 3, 2015

“I've been on three different kinds of birth control. I used this one twice in the past and had horrible experiences. This pill gave me awful depression from the first day of use (both instances). I could only stay on it three weeks the first try, and one night the second. If you are someone with depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder or similar, I would suggest strongly against taking this oral contraceptive. It gave me suicidal thoughts that followed into my dreams. Traumatizing experience. If I could rate it lower, I would.”

Ani4343435343 June 17, 2017

“I've been taking Velivet for about a year now because I started to have periods that lasted all month which resulted in anemia. My only complaint is that the cramps are quite bad, but it's done its job for me, so I can't complain!”

Addie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 13, 2020

“I have been taking the Velivet birth control for almost a year now and it’s been a terrible ride. My cramps are paralyzing (I had bad cramps before but these are worse) and they even happen when I’m not on period. The worst part has to be the constant emotional mood swings and change in sex drive. I do not cry normally but on this pill, I have full days where I cannot stop crying for no reason. My sex drive lowered significantly and it dries me out during sex even when I am in the mood which was never an issue before. I am easily irritable, overly sensitive and depressed when I’m on my period. I’ve tried to stick it out in hopes of it getting better but the side effects have actually enhanced overtime. I do not recommend it. Only positives are not getting pregnant and lighter periods but even the periods fluctuate.”

Mimin · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 28, 2013

“I have been on Velivet for 2 months now. The first month I felt nauseous, tender breast, I gained 10 lbs and I turned very moody (especially with my boyfriend). My period was very light and best of all no cramps. The second month is better I am still a bit moody.”

fachelle · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 16, 2015

“Today marks a month and a week since I've been on this pill. I was on it before and had no problems so when I found out I had ovarian cysts my dr. Put me back on it. My periods have been not as painful and I'm pretty sure my cysts are gone. (Although I haven't had another ultrasound) but I have been nauseous every single damn day. My breasts hurt and I always feel sick. I'm not sure the side effects outweigh the benefits. I'll give it a couple more weeks to let my body adjust to the hormones and update, but this is awful.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 16, 2012

“Pros: Worked great as a birth control & light periods Cons: Completely killed my libido, I've always had migraines but I got them much more frequently with this pill, I gained weight, & made me moody. I've been on this pill for 9 months. I was hoping things would get better but they are not so I am discontinuing use.”

ouchy222222 April 21, 2016

“I have been on this product for years so I dont know if the effects are from the pill or just me personally. It does the job; regular, lighter periods and no babies. But I never want to have sex. I thought something was wrong with until I lost my script. Also about 48 hours of PMS but that's it.”

karnariz · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 6, 2015

“I have used this pill for the last month, and I just started on my second month. I want to say that I started this pill not on the first day of my period, the reason why I wanted to go on the pill was because my period was irregular. I've lost a total of 10 lbs since starting this pill, and I've noticed that my appetite is a lot smaller now than it was before. I've tried other birth control pills and those always made me eat like a monster, but with this pill, I feel a lot better. The first month is pretty brutal. I had a fever the day after I first started the pill, and then I felt sick with stomach pains for the first couple of weeks, but after the first month, I'm feeling a lot better. Note that everyone's body works differently.”

loveliepeaches · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 18, 2014

“I tried Tri-Nessa for one whole month and it did nothing for me. I still bled like crazy and it was just horrible. I went to my doctor after the trial period with Tri-Nessa was up and let her know I wasn't satisfied SO she changed me to Velivet. I kid you not after 2 days my unstoppable hemorrhaging stopped!! After 6 months of constant blood & discomfort this pill stopped it. The 1st month that I was on my period after the Velivet was very painful. There was constant lower abdominal and lower back pain. I endured it and I've been loving it ever since. For me it does the opposite I have a regular libido sometimes a bit high lol. I've noticed that I'm more emotional and the week before my period I do get grouchy but overall I'm so thankful.”

Ziggyoo1 May 1, 2017

“This was my first birth control brand so I don't have experience with other brands to compare it to, but I had some issues. I had heavy, two week long periods on this pill, sometimes even longer. Thinking this would eventually level off I stayed on it for a year but it never did. Needless to say, I've had more than enough of that! Also, on this pill I felt paranoid about things that I never worried about before, I kept thinking something awful would happen whenever I left the house. I just switched bands so I'm hoping these symptoms stop, especially the paranoia and anxiety. On the plus, my skin never looked better and while the periods were long, I had minimal cramping.”

Dee January 23, 2020

“I haven't been on this pill for over a month only a few weeks & I have really lost my appetite, I haven't eaten in 3days . My breast are very much tender . I feel horrible everyday I have been throwing up my mom thought I was coming down with the flu or something. I will not be continuing this birth control or any birth control for that matter .”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 26, 2016

“After trying four other types with horrible side effects, Velivet was a welcome improvement. First month was a bit moody and had spotting but after that my very irregular period (weeks off) became regular almost to the hour. I did not gain weight and have minimal decreased appetite. Doesn't seem to have a strong effect on my sex drive either way. Almost entirely cleared up my acne outside of a touch right before I get my period. Horrible cramps that would me bed ridden are mostly gone. Just have moderate cramps for 24 hours after first getting my period. Period only lasts 3-4 days now compared to 5-7 before.”

Bumblebee19 June 19, 2016

“I have been on this pill for 2 months. I don't have cramps anymore. Thank goodness! My appetite is smaller. Breasts have stayed the same size and thats fine by me. My period is now 6-7 days (used to be 3-4 days when I wasn't on birth control). No babies though. I do notice that I get more headaches. Im not sure if its from the pill because I've been more active and the sun in FL is strong.”

Kaylin P · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 3, 2013

“One month into the pill I fell deeply into depression. Also, I started the pill with the first day method (on the first day of my period) causing me to spot for the whole 2 months of taking the pill. After taking a break from the pill after the second month I started to recover from the depression. Giving it another try I started the pill once again but instead this time after my period ended solving the spotting issue, but I notice that after the first month of taking the pill I fall into depression once again. It's made my acne much worse, but. It does prevent pregnancy. I'll be switching pills.”

torrob2003 · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 21, 2017

“I have been in Velivet for about 2 years now because of painful, heavy and irregular periods. I've tried others that were too strong. This one has worked until the last month. I've noticed that my cramping has came back and it has taken my sex drive away completely! Which is NOT good”