User Reviews for Dapsone topical to treat Acne

Also known as: Aczone

Dapsone topical has an average rating of 7.3 out of 10 from a total of 236 ratings for the treatment of Acne. 70% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 22% reported a negative effect.

Dapsone topical Rating Summary

7.3/10 average rating

Compare all 327 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Dapsone topical

KT · Taken for less than 1 month September 24, 2019

Aczone (dapsone): “In my teens, I never had acne. But when I went to college, I developed horrible cystic acne. For the next 15 years, I tried EVERYTHING - oral antibiotics, topicals, extractions, Accutane (twice!), peels, etc. and nothing helped until I went on Spironolactone in my late 30s. However, 8 years on Spiro totally messed up my hormones and put me into early menopause. I started taking hormone replacement recently and the cystic acne was back with a vengeance. My derm suggested I try Aczone (along with a topical retinoid) and believe me - I was skeptical as no topical had ever done anything for me. Within two weeks - my acne was nearly gone - not just the big painful nodules but also the little hard milia. It has also cleared up my back acne. Give this stuff a try (especially before you go on Spiro) - I know how it feels to think that nothing will work but this really did.”

aczone believer! · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 23, 2013

Aczone (dapsone): “II am 44, I got the Mirena and developed horrible hormonal acne along my cheeks and jawline. I picked at it. This caused a lot of red and brown spots. After 5 months of trying all different sorts of OTC acne medication and skin care routines, I finally met with a dermatologist who gave me some Aczone samples. THIS PRODUCT IS AMAZING. Seriously. Within 1-2 days all the bumps had diminished, and have remained gone except a few here and there. I use 2x's/day- apply the gel on a clean face, add oil-free moisturizer, followed by an oil- free foundation (for day wear). This medication doesn't bleach clothes, and doesn't cause redness or excessive dryness. SO HAPPY.”

KIKI WOODS · Taken for less than 1 month May 14, 2014

Aczone (dapsone): “My doctor prescribed spironolactone 50mg with aczone and I am so happy! Its been almost a month and my skin is so smooth! I had cystic acne around my cheeks, jaw line and chin area. My skin is very very oily with big pores but now its all cleared up, my pores are extremely smaller and less oil... I'm a happy camper.”

maplefly September 22, 2020

Aczone (dapsone): “Aczone made my acne worse! My derm prescribed Aczone 5% (twice a day) for my adult nodulocystic cystic acne. He said my case was mild so I don’t really need the 7.5%. During the 1st week, I thought I found my holy grail. It dried my existing acne and redness was calmer. On the second week I started noticing new bumps on places I don’t normally get acne (forehead and temples). I thought it was just phase and waited and waited til it came to a point that I couldn’t go out of the house! On my 6th week I still see new breakouts and this time, they’re in clusters! Far worse than what I had. I never had this kind of flareup before. I called my derm to book an appt and the nurse just told me that Aczone wasn’t suppose to break me out and to stop using it. So I stopped, but boy The damage it did to my skin will not be an easy fix. I only used Aczone with a gentle cleanser and Avene Tolerance. These two have no actives and I’m very certain that it was aczone that caused these enormous acne!”

Rocky27406 December 2, 2011

Aczone (dapsone): “Black female with cystic acne and dark spots on cheeks and under chin! I am so happy with Aczone. 2 months in and I look different without the bumps on my face. It is also slowly breaking up my dark spots too! Really calmed down my acne and I feel good about the progress!”

Neeners May 15, 2020

“So my daughter has struggled with acne since she was 14. We have tried everything possible. She is now 17 and the dermatologist was all ready for her to start Accutane. After her CMP her liver enzymes had tripled. I believe this is actually due to an underlying auto immune issue. Dr said ,she could not go on Accutane. She was devastated. The Dr said, let’s try a gel called Dapsone. I can’t believe it. It’s been 3 weeks and my daughter’s skin is amazing. Her scaring and acne has cleared up. Her shoulders, chest and back are almost completely free of acne!!!!!! I give this product a 20! out of 10!!!! It shows in my daughter’s daily smile ”

Alicedoom September 11, 2009

Aczone (dapsone): “I have had severe acne for years. I finally found this topical, and am extremely happy. I have been using it for almost a month. I don't get any severe drying, but it does keep my skin less oily looking (it's usually very oily), I don't have any peeling, redness or sun-sensitivity. I also have a marked reduction in the inflammation of nodules/cysts. It literally shrinks them after application, so I use it before I go out if I have a noticeable red bump or big cyst. I am really pleased, and just hoping it gets better from here. It has also improved the texture and look of my scars, so much so friends and family have commented without me asking! I would definitely recommend this, especially if you have severe acne, adult acne or scarring.”

Anonymous February 18, 2009

Aczone (dapsone): “I am a 49 year old woman with acne, rosacea, and sensitive skin and I have finally found a solution in Aczone. My face is nearly clear. I won't say it's perfect, because I do have an occasional stray bump here and there, but my whole face simply calmed down. I've reduced the number of medications I use to three - aczone, oracea and kuric cream. I am not photosensitive to this like I have been to other topical treatments. It is a little drying but nothing like some other medicines I've tried. I found an improvement almost immediately. I am thankful that it has been placed on the market. It's worth every penny to me.”

forthelifeofme April 13, 2014

Aczone (dapsone): “Honestly, I was skeptical of this product at first because I couldn't seem to find something that would deal with my cystic pimples (I am 31). The product works on my skin, but it took at least 3 months to see results. Since then, I have not had any cystic acne since. I use it in the morning and at night. I also use Retin-A at night. I only wash my face 1x a day to avoid killing my good bacteria and this actually helped my acne improve too. The product is so worth it, but be patient and give it at least 3 months before deciding if it works or not.”

Brittdars February 3, 2014

Aczone (dapsone): “I am 27, have had acne starting in the 6th grade. Some products in the past have helped but Aczone has cleared me right up! This product has given me self esteem that I never remember having in my life.”

LT · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 3, 2019

Aczone (dapsone): “I use Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanser, Aczone, and Neutrogena Oil Free SPF 15 moisturizer have healed my acne. I no longer get cystic acne or nodules. Occasionally I get pimples but this medication heals them in 1-2 days. Definitely worth the try!! Be careful what foundation brand you use to because that was the culprit to my acne as well. Fpr foundation I use Revelon’s combination skin foundations and a foundation brush by Elf. Sharing because most people don’t post their success stories.”

Jack · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 17, 2019

Aczone (dapsone): “I am a middle aged male and have been experiencing problems with acne for the past 8-10 years. I have been on accutane 4 times and would exeperience clear skin for about a year every time after my treatment. My acne would always resurface, and it would be an uphill battle to keep it at bay. I would also like to add that I experienced breakouts most frequently during the winter months. After habitually visiting my dermatologist, I was finally prescribed Aczone but did not expect much from topical treatment. I have been applying for about six months and my skin is not only completely clear, but I am able to actually touch my face and eat foods I NEVER use to eat in the past. I strongly recommend this product to any male experiencing the problems I have. Acne is the most frustrating situation I had facee, and it killed my self esteem. If you have severe cystic acne, I suggest you clear it up with accutane and immediately switch to dapsone to keep it under control.”

angelbeeds04 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 10, 2013

Aczone (dapsone): “I am 43 years old and have been cursed with cystic acne on my chin for for the last 20 years! I have tried everything! Accutane, smooth beam laser, nothing lasted. Cysts came back. I started using spironolactone, had high hopes, but it lowered my blood pressure so I had to stop. The Dermatologist gave me Aczone told me to use 2 times a day and use benzyol peroxide face wash once a day at night (I use clean and clear benzyol peroxide face wash). It took over 2 months and now I am completely clear! I went back to dermatologist after 6 weeks in tears because my face was worse than ever. He told me to keep using it and give it three months. I am SO GLAD I listened. I had given up. I did not expect it to work because nothing else did. LOVE THIS!”

brooklynp August 9, 2018

Aczone (dapsone): “I am 24 years old, african american female with caramel skin. I have been on topical medications for my moderate hormonal acne. About a year ago my skin went crazy, went back to a dermatologist and was prescribed Aczone 7.5 gel. I 100% always look up reviews before I use a product, so I felt the need to write a review for my experience. It's literally amazing. You do go through a purging period but please stick with it. It's been 4 months, and my face is beautiful & clear again. Just have a couple of dark spots, but all in all I'm really happy with the results. Every now & then I get a breakout but it clears up quickly. It goes on smooth under makeup. Skin rountine am: neutrogena acne prone facial bar, aczone, (wait 10 mins) then apply moisturizer. At night wash face & put some retin-a cream for my dark spots. I use aczone only once a day. Please give it the full 12 weeks to clear you up, it works!!! I hope this review helped, the same way other reviewers helped me stick with it!”

Renee · Taken for less than 1 month December 14, 2018

Aczone (dapsone): “At the end of October my almost 14 year old who had always had such great skin started to have terrible breakouts. We tried so many OTC products and she cut out sugar, dairy, and would drink gallons of water each day and it seemed to get worse. I took her to a wonderful dermatologist on Nov. 26 and she prescribed Aczone 7.5%. She started using it that night. She has not skipped one night and after 2 1/2 weeks her skin looks SO GOOD! The reviews are right, you won't see immediate results, you have to BE PATIENT. She continued getting a new pimple almost everyday for the first 2 weeks, but they cleared up so fast and the last 4 days she hasn't gotten anything new and everything else has faded. She washes her face with Cetaphil, waits 20 minutes to apply the Aczone, then waits another 30 before applying her Cetaphil night cream moisturizer. She plans on using this for a very long time! Please don't give up right away, I know it takes a little longer for some people.”

Smiles02 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 30, 2019

Aczone (dapsone): “I've had acne ever since I was 14, but throughout the years it just got worse and worse. February of 2019 my acne became the worst it has ever been, it affected my mood every day and sometimes to the point where I wouldn't want to leave my house. I went to the dermatologist and was prescribed Aczone along with another topical cream called Bianca ( which is a retinoid). The doctor told me to apply the Aczone in the morning and the Bianca and night, and as sceptical as I was about these creams let me just tell you they work. You have to be patient because it does get worse before it gets better. I started the medication in April and my skin didn't clear up until September but please do not give up on this medication because it saved my self-esteem. It's also important to remember to only put a pea-sized amount... when I first started I would put a lot more than required and it started to make my face oily which caused more breakouts. Use only a little bit and it goes a long way!”

Jaanu123 May 21, 2014

Aczone (dapsone): “I had cystic acne on my jaw line and cheeks from almost 2 years. Have been using many medications like benzoyl peroxide creams, salicylic acid and over the counter creams. But nothing was working out. 2 months back I went to another dermatologist and she prescribed me Aczone cream to use 2 times a day. It really worked for me. Within 2 weeks I can make out the difference. New acne almost stopped appearing and even the acne that is trying to come out is clearing up fast. I am so happy that my skin cleared up pretty soon. But if I stop using it for few days, acne start coming back again. Also the scars are still there. I think they are fading a little, but still not completely. I am happy my doctor prescribed me this.”

CaketheBake · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 19, 2014

Aczone (dapsone): “I had very bad cystic acne and had to see a dermatologist. She prescribed Aczone and Tazorac, it did not work, it made me breakout worse. I went back to her and she prescribed doxcycline an antibiotic and within the first week I saw an improvement. I am on antibiotics, Aczone, and Tazorac, which together works awesome, my dark spots and acne scarring is fading also.”

Anonymous June 19, 2014

Aczone (dapsone): “I haven't seen many people on here comment with using it for over 2 weeks. The first few weeks it worked for me too. Thought it was amazing. I've now been using it for 6 months hoping it just needs time. Nope NOTHING. I have mild/moderate acne. I'm 24. I still get cystic acne. Especially on my period. I get whiteheads, ones under my skin, black heads, YOU NAME IT. I still get it. The only time my skin is clear is the week before I get my period. ”

Jenn · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 17, 2018

Aczone (dapsone): “If you have never used this product, try it. It might just turn out its works just as good for you as it did for me! All I can say is, it works, it works, it works. I have tried so many things including other RX that didn't have any results. I am 40, and used aczone (dapsone) gel for 3+ years now. The results are awesome, and yes I had every type of acne you can think of everyday since a teenager. Since using this medication once a day I have NO acne, zero. Even scarring is reduced. Talk to your doctor,, and all the best for success using this!”

WoohooAczone January 23, 2014

Aczone (dapsone): “After my teen years I thought I had finally gotten my skin under control. I'm in my early 20s now and Proactiv just wasn't cutting it anymore. I was developing cystic acne along my jawlines and cheeks which I have never had before. I then tried the new Proactiv which made my skin so unbelievably dry and much, much worse. I finally decided to go to the dermatologist and got a prescription for Aczone. For my first use, I put it on right before bed and the next morning the bumps were for the most part flat. I was amazed! I've now been using it for 10 days and it's crazy how much better my skin is. It's on it's way to being completely clear and not dry at all! This is a miracle product!”

Kate · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 12, 2019

Aczone (dapsone): “BEST.ACNE.MEDICINE.EVER. I used Aczone for I’d say 2 months and boom, acne, GONE. I have been continuously using Aczone now for probably 4 years and it is still my tried and true. Whenever I do get a pimple here and there, I apply a dot of the product to the area a few times and day and within 24 hours it’s gone!”

SG2223 August 14, 2016

Aczone (dapsone): “Before I was prescribed Aczone, I looked on this site for reviews. I've been on it for about 9 weeks now and, while I've never written a review of a drug, this one warrants it. In my early 20's, I started breaking out worse than I ever did as a teenager. I tried OTC everything, which did nothing, and even shelled out for Proactiv which only seemed to inflame it. When finally I went to the derm she told me that adult onset acne is common and that Aczone+antibiotic would kick it. The antibiotic (minocycline) was awful and after vomiting for 2 days I went off it. Aczone on its own, however, has been a true lifesaver. My painful, deep, cystic acne is gone. Only rare whiteheads now. Truly life changing. I wish I could post before/after pix.”

rachel1992 March 6, 2014

Aczone (dapsone): “This product works so well. I have been using it everyday for 2 Weeks now and have no acne anymore. Its amazing. I love it. I highly recommend this product. I'd buy even without my insurance covering it, its that good!”

Jenlindy May 30, 2015

Aczone (dapsone): “I am a 44 year old female who after having clear skin my entire life had a sudden breakout of cystic acne. I was devasted and went to my dermatologist immediately. She was rather dismissive and put me on acanya and oracea. This did nothing except make me feel like I had the flu (oracea). I decided to try a new dermatologist. My new derm took my immediately off oracia because in her words I don't have rosacea. She also took me off a acanya because in her words she would use on maybe a 9 year old! She started me on aczone and tazarac. Within 3 days I was completely clear. Now if I even start to get a cystic pimple it is gone within a day!! It is perfect for cystic hormonal acne:) I am so happy to be clear and confident :)”

Learn more about Acne