User Reviews for ParaGard

Birth Control 315 reviews 295 medications

7.5
Summary of ParaGard reviews 315 reviews 7.5

Reviews for ParaGard

For Birth Control "I got the Paragard IUD six weeks after giving birth to my first child. I chose this birth control because it is non-hormonal, and regular hormonal birth control makes me nauseous, depressed, have mood swings, and gain weight. Overall I'm very pleased with the IUD. Insertion was not painful, and I didn't even have cramping afterwards. I can't even tell that it is there and I have no side effects at all."

LSDdoll February 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "Well this little guy did his job he kept me from getting pregnant so that's one pro....for the others I don't any other pros. had my IUD taken out it but it broke. I have a arm lodged into my side which I am having surgery in a couple days to have it removed hopefully! My periods were worse they lasted longer and not to mention the spotty period thru out the term I used this product! It hurt going in it hurt coming out! If I had to do over I wouldn't have gotten this or at least this type."

Jenr87 February 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "I had my IUD inserted at the family clinic. It was the worst pain I've ever felt, I almost threw up. When the Dr measures your cervix, thats the worst sharp cramps. My Dr cut the strings inside of me and lost 1 of the cut strings. Its been 3 days and I'm still in a lot of pain. It feels like sharp, stabbing cramps. I hope this goes away soon, or I will have it removed."

Nicolet82 (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "On my second one! Total of 14 years with one. Whats not to love? Just have it placed and hormone free birth control for 10 years! Yes, 10 years without having to even think about pregnancy!"

SarahBL February 15, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "I got my paragard in May of 2014 and I love it! I don't remember much pain during the insertion process, but I did have a child 6 months prior to getting it. During the first 6 or so months, my periods were extremely heavy, to the point i was lightheaded for the first few days due to the extreme blood loss. I also had extremely bad cramping along with it; I never got cramps with my period before getting this. Because of this, I was at the point where I was about to get it removed, but I wanted to give it another month before doing so. I am glad I waited! Once my body got used to it, I was completely fine!! I haven't had any problems since then. I don't even know it's there anymore! I recommend it to anyone who can't take the pill."

GMarie02 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 14, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "So it's been 6 days since I had paraguard inserted and let me tell you I'm doing a helluva lot better then day 1. The insertion was a pain I'd never felt before and had me thinking it's been placed incorrectly. I had chosen to get the insertion 4 hours before I was due in for work but inevitably ended up calling out. I laid on that table for over an hour trying to get the room to stop spinning so I could make the drive back home. Once I could finally stand I went straight home and curled up with a heating pad, ibuprofen and a glass of wine. I spotted the next day which lead to me bleeding heavily for two days. The bleeding has now pretty much stopped. I was able to have sex with my partner with no worries or pain. So far so good (:"

No pain, no gain (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "I had paragard inserted in July 2016. Iread reviews online & expected the worst. I took 3 aleve beforehand. During the procedure I had 3 intense cramps & it was done. I had a small amount of spotting that day, no cramping, felt fine the next day. My 1st period came with the paragard I had brown spotting a few day before it actually started, it was a little hard to tell when it actually started. Read online that many users had bloody masacres on their periods, mine was suprisingly light. few weeks later I noticed foul fishy odor, went to my ob & had BV (never had this before). The next month I got BV again was told it was normal. Flash forward Dec 16, I had horrible stabbing pains, had an ultrasound, was told my IUD was falling out, so they took it out & I was given plan b."

Emmanne1625 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 7, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "I've been on paragard since Aug I've been on my period since I've only stopped a total of maybe 3 weeks out of 6 months horrible. What can I do helpppppppp"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 7, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "Hi guys! My sister had it for 3 years and took it out when she was ready to get preg.. Boom pregnant the next month. Here's my story.. I'm 28 and I just had my first wonderful baby girl. I have had a horrible experience with the pill, the patch and the depo shot which almost killed me and I hope no one ever gets it. So I like most people was a little bit frightened to go back on birth control. After having my daughter, I'm 4 months pp. I think honestly the anticipation was worse than anything lol. I took 800mg Ibuprofen (Drs orders) before the insertion which helped tremendously because all I felt was a slight discomfort and it was over. I had some spotting and cramping (heating pad I'm 4 days into it and No pain. Breastfeeding and no milk issues!"

Anasmommy (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "I wanted to love this so badly but it honestly was the worst choice of birth control for me. Since I had already tried the Mirena I was already aware of how painful the insertion was going to be so I was prepared. But every month around my period my cramps were even worse than the ones I got during insertion. It was always the first day. I had 10-12 day periods each cycle, but there wasn't a single period I had without some type of leak happening and I wound up having so much spotting I would occasionally have 2 periods a month. About a year into having it and it actually started making me physically ill. I would have unpredictable vomiting episodes that got especially worse if I hadn't eaten. I got it out, & immediately felt 100x's better"

ashleeeeeeee (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 3, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "I started ParaGard about three months after giving birth to my second child. I had it removed 14 months later. Pros: 1) I didn't have to remember to take it. 2) Didn't change my mood or weight 3) Comforting that there weren't any unnecessary hormones in my body 4) It was effective in preventing pregnancy. Cons: 1) My periods lasted for THREE weeks on average (sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more). -I was told it will get back to normal, give it a few months -After it didn't, they refused to believe it was the IUD because it was copper/nonhormonal. 2) less sex with my husband because of the heaviness and length of my periods. -------- I had it removed and my periods were almost instantly back to normal (3-5 days)."

Hope this helps (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 3, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "I was really worried based on some of the reviews but my Dr assured me I was a good candidate for it. So I got the Paragard today and the process was very quick with zero pain ( recently gave birth though) due to my Dr using ultrasound to make sure he placed it correctly. So far only experienced light spotting with no cramping. Only took less than a minute to place it. Right now I will give it a 10 based on experience today. So far, I feel completely normal and it's been about 10 hrs since I had it placed, but if anything changes I will be back with an update."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "Just got the paraguard inserted a 2 days. Most horrendous pain I've ever gone through. Didn't even have so much as a pap before that. Doc was not gentle at all. She used too big of a speculum and had to swap for a smaller one which made me start bleeding immediately. I haven't had any babies. I'd definitely say the pain is worth it in the end. I do have faith in this method. I did bleed a lot during the procedure and have been bleeding lightly since. I am still cramping. Which is currently fluctuating between mild, moderate, and excruciating depending. Fiancé bought me a heating pad that I warm up in the microwave which is soothing. Sitting with my legs up is helping and warm showers. I'm excited to not have to worry about pills."

Aly818 January 30, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "I came to talk about the insertion, which happened about a week ago. I got myself all scared beforehand watching reaction videos but it was totally fine. The doctor prescribed to me some xanax beforehand so I was more relaxed but it didn't hurt at all. It was a little uncomfortable but I actually laughed at the cramping because it didn't hurt. It kinda felt cool. Don't be afraid!"

Sssssssophie January 30, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "Don't be afraid! It was extremely painful for me, emotionally and physically, but I trusted my doctor, and it made the whole procedure so much easier. I got my IUD in at 10am and was in bed the rest of the day with the most excruciating cramps for about 24 hours following. I faithfully applied a heating pad and doterra's deep blue muscle relaxing cream and felt like a new person the following day! I even exercised pain free. For those of you considering getting an IUD I highly recommend going to a doctor with a record of inserting IUD'S. Avoid planned parenthood if you can, and make sure you're on your period when you get it inserted. Good luck ladies! Power to the vagina."

Kate331 January 27, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "I'm in my 40s and have had this for 5 years and I absolutely love it. The insertion, while not painful, made me nauseous to the point where I almost passed out when I stood up. My doctor (a man) told me nothing about what to expect with insertion. You should take a motrin before the procedure. That being said, it's been effective and completely problem free. I wish I'd known about this years ago. Only about 9% of women in the US use this method, whereas in Europe it's about 31% and in China 40%. Doctors need to be telling their patients about this option. I didn't know about it! The pill absolutely killed my sex drive, as it did with my sister. My sister's now gotten one and we've both been very happy. Lasts 10+ years or until removal."

Khot777 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 26, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "I got my ParaGard IUD 6 months ago and I love it!. Yes there is still occasionally spotting and my period is a little heavier than it used to be, but I won't have to worry about pregnancy for the next 10-12 years. If I want to become pregnant during that time it is only a matter of a doctors appointment and a little tug then BOOM pregnancy is possible. The insertion did hurt a lot. Like severe cramping for a few seconds and then a bit more cramping for the next day or so. After that I have lighter cramps for a few weeks, but it was completely worth it to not have to worry about hormones (which my body hates) or unexpected pregnancy. The only reason this review is a 9/10 is because my period is heavier and cramping is a more than before."

6 Months In January 21, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "INSERTION DID not hurt at all!!! I had the best experience. Ladies, please ask your doctor about Cytotec (misoprostol). My doctor prescribed it to me so I could take it (by mouth) the night before the procedure and it is supposed to help with opening up the uterus so that during the actual procedure the doctor won't have to dilate your uterus as much. The only "uncomfortable" part about it was when she disinfected it. It was like a slight burning sensation that lasted 3 secs. Then when she actually inserted the IUD I felt a slight pressure. Felt like a bad cramp that lasted like 8 secs. I also took a 400 mg 30 minutes before. Afterwards I felt a little cramping but nothing terrible. I highly recommend this! Don't psych yourself out. :-)!"

jai1018 (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "I've had paragard for just over a month. I felt compelled to write a review because I feel like people only review things when they have a bad experience and there aren't enough good reviews out there. I read horror stories about the insertion. But to my relief, it barely hurt. The most painful part was the speculum being removed. I did not have any cramping after and I went to the gym the next morning. The first 2 weeks were great. No side effects at all. About 10 days before my period I got cramps on and off and a little spotting. When my period finally started I was expecting the worst, based on the horror stories. Day 1 was pretty heavy but after that it was lighter than usual and only lasted 5 days. I love my paragard so far!"

D Ruth (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 18, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "I just got mine in today and came to talk about the insertion process. A lot of the internet says it hurts so badly, but I didn't have any issues - it barely hurt at all. Ask your doctors about Misaprostal - I have never had children but that medication made it to where my uterus didn't have to be dilated, not to mention the less pain I experienced! It felt less bad than a stomach cramp, and a LOT less bad than a muscle cramp. Don't be afraid!"

Ash1234 January 14, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "Had ParaGard inserted in May of 2016 and so far loving it!! Procedure was uncomfortable but not painful. Did have my period but didn't take anything beforehand. Didn't even know you could take something to soften your cervix! No cramping after. First two periods were intense to say the least. Very heavy bleeding but you know that will happen. My period always had 1-2 heavy days. Some spotting between periods. After the 3 month mark periods were better but the IUD did increase my period from 4 days to 7 days. But only about 3 of those days are medium to heavy. Would definitely recommend!!!"

Mom2girls96 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 13, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "I had paragard place last March, 2016. I had cramps in between periods the whole time. And 6 months later I started getting anxiety/panic attacks. So bad that driving was difficult. I didn't realize it was my paragard until my physician ask what is making you feel this way? Any stress? Anything different. Then it dawned on me. My IUD was the only thing that was different. I personally don't recommend getting one. So happy I got it removed today. I already feel better and more importantly like myself again."

Not for everyone! January 11, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "The insertion was incredibly painful. And while it is very effective for a very long time I wouldn't recommend it to any one because it caused me terrible pains during my cycle and occasionally off cycle of have very strong and painful cramping. I could only stand it for 1.5 years before having to get it removed."

Snhumphrey January 9, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "Needed a birth control without Hormones. Two days before the procedure I had to take cytotec twice a day until the procedure to soften my cervix. I had really bad cramping, light bleeding, and acid reflux from the cytotec. On the day of IUD insertion, I took Valium... This did nothing for my anxiety. If it weren't for my boyfriend being by my side the entire time during the procedure I wouldn't have gone through and would have begged the doctor to stop and let me leave without Paragard. I've never had such a terrifying experience. I cried the entire procedure from pain and discomfort from being exposed. Never had a pap smear so I never felt so exposed. The pain was a 9.5. I wish I found a place that used IV sedation."

LittleMissLizzie (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Birth Control "The Paraguard is HANDS DOWN, THE BEST METHOD OF BIRTH CONTROL! I had a lot of trial and error finding the right kind of birth control for me. I've tried Plls, the Depo Shot and The Implanon. They always had some kind of bad side effect on me from weight gain to acne to migraines. I just wanted something all natural that would get the job done. I decided to give The Paraguard a try even though I didn't like the fact of something being inserted in my uterus. It's done an amazing job. Insertion and removal were quick and almost painless with some mild cramping. Periods were light and maintainable. I couldnt "feel" it either. Now I'm ready to have my first baby but it's going right back in afterwards!"

Kerstinloveparaguard January 2, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next

More about ParaGard (copper topical)

Professional resources