User Reviews for ParaGard

Birth Control
6.4

Summary of ParaGard reviews 6.4 684 reviews

Reviews for ParaGard

For Birth Control "Paragard is terrible! Five years of living hell! Brain fog, anxiety, depression, personality shifts, cramping, week long heavy bleeding, racing heart, adrenal dysfunction, food allergies. The worst! Copper and estrogen are tandem, so think twice! It will raise your estrogen levels! And cause copper toxicity in most women! Do your research."

lil (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 15, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve had my implant for about 3 years now, the only complaint that I have is the cramping around my period is sometimes unbearable (but manageable). I regularly check to make sure it’s in place, so far so good! The procedure of getting it implanted is the most uncomfortable part though. However if you’ve had a pap, it won’t be an unfamiliar feeling. No mood swings, no weight gain, no happy accidents!"

Libbs July 13, 2018

For Birth Control "I got the IUD Paragard! THIS IS THE BEST form of birth control I have tried so far!! I was on the pill for about 3 months and gained 8 pounds from it. Had the IUD inserted a week ago and it was NOT painful at all!!!! I have not gained any weight from this birth control and that is one of my biggest pet peeves and something I truly have a concern about. I recommend an IUD to anyone who wants a contraceptive that doesn’t interact with your hormones or screw the up. When I was on the pill I was acting so whacky and forgetful all the time it was insane!!!!! After getting it inserted I didn’t go to the gym for about two days keeping my activity to a minimum and being cautious. I do fear the risks that involve IUDs but it is something I am willing to take. I did have some bloating for about two or three days after insertion but nothing since then. I haven’t gotten a period yet since the insertion but I am due to have one any day now so we will see how that goes!!!"

Mayimay (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2018

For Birth Control "I had the Paraguard removed after a month. First of all insertion was very painful (and I'm no weenie). My doctor made me sit afterward for about 20 mins because she was nervous to let me drive. My periods were heavier than they had ever been and I experienced cramping (which was unusual for me) I had the Mirena a few years earlier and loved it! On the Mirena periods disappeared after 6 months and before that very light. The only reason I tried the Paraguard was because it lasted 10 years instead of five. Needless to say shortly after getting the Paraguard removed I got another Mirena put in and am in love with it all over again!"

Special K (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2018

For Birth Control "I love the Paraguard. Beats having hormones 24/7 or having to remember to take a pill. Cramping is a little worse along with back pain when it’s the time of the month but nothing unbearable. My first period was SUPER heavy, but now totally manageable and back to how it was before getting pregnant with my second."

A.b. (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 9, 2018

For Birth Control "If you can put up with cystic acne, headaches, gallbladder failure, abdominal pain, bloating, hair loss, IBS, torn joints (knees) liver pain, food intolerances, severe contraction pains, severe bleeding, and low libido AND INSOMINA then paraguard is for you! These symptoms accumulated over 5 years. You won’t notice right away until you start wondering what is wrong with you. My doctors tell me I am “getting older ...” but this symptoms aren’t from old age! Don’t get it! Nightmare!"

carolinagirl (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 9, 2018

For Birth Control "I have had the ParaGard for about a year and a half. I love it so much! I use to take the pill, but it caused my sex drive to go down to practically nothing... and even if I did want it, certain things wouldn’t get wet enough... if you know what I’m saying. With ParaGard there is abosolutly no issue. No weight gain, a healthy sex drive, moisture in all the right places. I haven’t given birth control a second thought in a year. It’s amazing, seriously consider it!"

Elle (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 8, 2018

For Birth Control "Got IUD placed 6 weeks after having my baby in 2010. I took 2 ibuprofen an hour before and felt a painful but short pinch during insertion (3/10). I was crampy the rest of the day and had more crampiness than usual during period for a few months after once it finally came back—completely manageable with ibuprofen. This was the only long term option for me bc I have a history of clots and can’t take hormonal birthcontrol. I’ve had it for 9 years and will get another especially now that insurance pays for it. Worth it to not worry about getting pregnant and I like not having to fumble around w bc when I am w my husband."

Arrie July 7, 2018

For Birth Control "Had Paraguard inserted at my six week check up postpartum. Took ibuprofen as instructed before insertion. Had minor pain and spotting but was fine after a day. Had no effect on how heavy my periods were once they returned but I do think I had more cramping the first six months. I have had this IUD for 9 years with no problem, and I will get another to make it to menopause. I can’t use hormonal birth control due to risk for clots, so this was the most fail-safe, cost-effective option available. At present if you have ACA-compliant insurance it is covered (was not when I got mine but it was worth every penny). Great choice for birth control esp. if you have already had a child (easier insertion)."

AbbyB (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 6, 2018

For Birth Control "Getting the Paragard IUD inserted was one of the most painful things I've ever experienced. I cramped and bled, worse than my worst period, for 5 days after insertion. The pain was unbearable, my back and legs seized up, and on the 6th day I went back to the Dr. to remove it. They told me there were no signs of infection and that they weren't sure why it hurt me so badly, and I was told the cramping and bleeding should only last a day or two. Well I'm on day 5 and I'm still bleeding and cramping. I had to go to the ER and get an ultrasound, I was told that everything looked normal but that that have heard of this happening with the removal of Paragard, and to just keep an eye on the bleeding and hope that it stops soon. There's absolutely nothing online or on the Paragard website that mentions that this is "normal," but the ER doctors said that it's something they've seen before. I'm still waiting to feel normal and pain-free again, and I only had the IUD in for 5 days..."

anon123 July 2, 2018

For Birth Control "I had a very bad experience with paragard from the very first day until I had it removed (3 months). I was almost constantly cramping, some days were better than others but always at least a dull pain and just walking it made it worst. Cramping during periods was severe and nearly debilitating. I had my period or was just bleeding nearly the entire time. Periods were also very heavy. Sex was painful and with all the bleeding, let just say I didn’t feel very sexy any how. After insertion I experience symptoms of associated with IBS (which I don’t have). I could not find this listed as a side effect anywhere other than associations with copper toxicity. I never experienced anything like it before and a day or so after it was taken out the symptoms where gone. Symptoms were excessive gas, constipation, severe pain and cramping prior to bowel movements—all of which ceased upon removal."

Lindsey123 July 2, 2018

For Birth Control "I have had the paraguard IUD for 4.5 years. Having it put in caused me absolutely no pain at all. No cramping or bleeding. Until the last 6 months or so its been amazing. The side effects were that my periods were a bit heavier, and sometimes when I have to poop it caused me cramps. Recently however my periods have gotten extremely heavy. They have been so forceful as to push out super plus tampons. This last period lasted for 7 days straight of heavy bleeding. Before the IUD my periods would be 3 days with a light tampon. It will now cause severe cramps after intercourse occasionally. I am now seriously considering getting my tubes tied because this is no longer worth it, but it I loved it the first 4 years and recommended it."

User29 July 2, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve been on ParaGard for three years, the side effects grow worst with time. It’s beyond me, why this information is not shared amongst the various health website. I thought I did a fairly good job researching. PMS and bleeding grew worst and worst. I mean, the IUD is great for contraception and convenience. However, I’m fully prepared to go back to other birth control methods. The side effects are becoming unbearable. PMS is frightful, my husband agrees. There’s an entire forum on FB that warns about the issues, I would have never gotten it if I would’ve known this. Well actually, I’m pretty sure I would’ve still given it a try. What doesn’t work for others usually work for me, I normally don’t experience side effects... at least that what I thought. I filled four diva cups within the first 24 hrs of my period. That’s the average for the entire duration of a normal period. I’m 31, I’ve always had amazing/normal cycles, no PMS, used 1 diva cup per day for 3-4 days."

Anonymous June 29, 2018

For Birth Control "Got the IUD after my daughter was about a year and a half. At first everything seemed normal. I was stressed out of course being a new mom. About 2 years later I noticed how crazy depressed I would get before my period. I would also lash out on everyone. I was extremely emotional. I ignored it. But several months later I started getting panic attacks and anxiety. I use to get attacks when I was a teen so I knew exactly how to cope, but it kinda started making me stressed out. Then I started getting odd thoughts that didn't make sense and brain fog. It was creeping me out. I started googling and realize I had Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) which is severe PMS. I had no Idea why I would have this? I tried working out and eating better. Nothing worked. Then one day I typed in copper IUD and PMS. A thousand articles showed up. Woman telling the same story as me. I called the doctor had it taken out immediately. Its been 3 months now and I feel better. Research birth control. The human body doesn't understand foreign objects."

Mimi June 29, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve had the Paraguard in for 9 months now. I initially had very painful and heavy periods but after being on hormonal birth control that messed me up, I was happy to put up with this. My periods are now very regular, light and short. I have some mild cramps the first two days but nothing out of the ordinary. The rest of the month it’s amazing to be protected against unwanted pregnancies with no input from myself."

Ontherocks (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 26, 2018

For Birth Control "My doctor and myself decided that Paragard was the safest way to go due to me having had blood clots from (well what was said to have been from) a previous birth control. It’s been awesome so far... I’ve always had bad period cramps so the cramping isn’t an issue for me. My only issue is bleeding from sex... Is this common for anyone else?"

Emeeye77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2018

For Birth Control "Don't overlook this IUD, especially if you react badly to artificial hormones. I tried at least 5 different hormonal birth controls before finally giving the Paragard a try because I was afraid of the side effects. However, I've had it for a couple of weeks and it's totally manageable! I will probably give another review in a couple of months, though. The periods are definitely way heavier than my normal flow, and I've already had two periods since insertion, but I'm hoping it will level out soon. The cramps are fine and I still respond to my normal pain medication (I take 400mg Ibuprofen for cramps with no problems). Please don't let the bad reviews of the Paragard scare you away! After so many different birth control methods, this is so far my favorite."

Aly (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2018

For Birth Control "I got my copper IUD 2 years ago. I took Ibuprofen extra strength before, but the pain was excruciating. I nearly fainted. I couldn’t stand for half an hour. The cramps were intense. Fast forward 2 years, my periods have gone from 5 days of moderate bleeding to 7-8 days of extremely heavy bleeding. Some days I soak through super plus tampons AND pads in just a couple hours. And never mind the spotting which happens after sex, before my period AND after, and at any random time. My iron is the lowest it’s ever been. I’m exhausted, my sex drive is non existent, I experience brain fog almost 24/7, and my anxiety has never been so bad. I have gone back to school in the last year, which is likely contributing to my symptoms, but having been through college before I am not convinced that my symptoms are entirely due to that. After hearing some similar stories from people who had the copper IUD and who felt better after it was removed, I am now planning to have mine removed."

Mustlovedogs June 21, 2018

For Birth Control "ParaGard is a nightmare, I had mine for over 4 years and for the last year and a half I thought I was dying! I've been to 10 different doctors for over 25 different symptoms caused by this piece of garbage toxic product. If you are planning on getting this IUD be aware of copper toxicity because it will happen and doctors will be ignorant to the fact that the IUD is causing it.. prepare for 5 years of awfulness."

Kae (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 19, 2018

For Birth Control "It was more of a mental problem for me than physical. Never had any cramping or pains, maybe a little discharge problems between periods but the main concern for me was feeling depression, anxiety, isolation, tiredness all the time, mood swings affecting my marriage! I never suspected my IUD to be the problem but it all started after I had it put in about 2 years ago and slowly progressed to being very noticeable now; it had me considering going on anti-depressants!"

BeBe (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 18, 2018

For Birth Control "The WORST. I don't like the effects of hormonal birth control, so opted for this. After insertion, cramps were so bad I couldn't move; would have to stop walking; felt nauseated, light-headed, couldn't breath the pain was so bad. Felt as if I were being stabbed. Weeks later, sharp back pains. Radiating pain down my legs, hairloss. Doctors said it is not the IUD, even did blood tests to check my thyroid levels. First 3 cycles were unbearable, but only improved slightly over next several months. My periods last 2 wks, 5 days of which are heavy. Before, I had 4 day periods, 1 heavy day, only 1 day of cramps and barely needed medicine. Now, I take NSAIDs around the clock for 2-3 days. At risk for stomach ulcers. I lost interest in sex. I denied that this was all the Paragard. I started to feel more depressed and did more research. Having it taken out tomorrow. Not worth denying connection after 9 months of no other possible explanation, nor possible inflammation or other longterm effects."

Miss June 15, 2018

For Birth Control "I've had mine in for 4 years now and suddenly over the past 3 months I'm now getting a stabbing pain on the bottom left side and my boobs so painful. It hurts so bad that it wakes me up and during sex it stabs me and my boyfriend can feel it. I'm getting it removed soon. It worked but now I'm in pain and hate having sex!!"

M June 6, 2018

For Birth Control "Best choice for my needs. I am on my second ParaGuard. I had my first for 10 years without any issues. I am now 3 years into my second, and I am still without issues."

Starflyer June 5, 2018

For Birth Control "This IUD was my only option because hormones apparently give me blood clots (not fun!). I went to the gyno during my period and after taking the uterus softener pill and she put the device in. The process is very crampy, but not what I would describe as painful. It's also SUPER quick, so you have those cramps for 1 minute, then nothing. So, waited a couple days, had sex and my boyfriend goes "Ow! It poked me!" Well, when I went to follow up with the nurse, she said it had slipped partially out. She inserted a new one then and there (no softener pills, no period, but still only slight cramping) and I have been good to go for a year! I haven't seen any difference in my period, I didn't have any weight gain, no mood swings, no side effects at all. I cannot recommend this enough now that it's fully in (and trust me, we could tell when it wasn't). A quick 5 minute process for 10 years of no babies? 100% worth it."

Sarah May 29, 2018

For Birth Control "I had my paraguard placed 4 months after my last child was born. I was breastfeeding so I never had any of the heavy periods that can be a side effect. It's been amazing. Best birth control investment"

Bevens (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 29, 2018