User Reviews for ParaGard

Birth Control

Summary of ParaGard reviews 6.0 801 reviews

Reviews for ParaGard

For Birth Control "10 it’s effective that’s not the issue. I can’t begin to explain the cramping I get a week before my period and then in the beginning of my cycle. I never experienced bad cramps before until having this IUD. It feels like someone is taking my ovaries and twisting them. It makes me loose my breath and I find myself huddling over the floor. Then when I get my period, it’s the heaviest I have ever had in my 26 years. Having this for a couple months was the worst thing I could have ever done to my body. Putting the IUD in was the most painful thing and it made me bleed for days. Needless to say, I wouldn’t recommend this for anyone unless they want to feel unbearable cramps and bleeding for weeks."

Anonymous January 20, 2019

For Birth Control "After my second child I wanted a birth control I did not have to worry about. I decided to go with a "no hormone birth control", as I felt I was moody on the pills. I was on the ParaGard for approx 2 years. The first year my period lasted longer than usual. The doctor informed me through out the first year my body has to adjust. My periods lasted 2 weeks max., with really bad cramping. Going into the 2nd year my periods never went away. I literally had my period for months. It really took a toll on my life. I became upset, moody, and angry. My doctor checked the IUD and said it looks fine, she does not understand why my period is lasting so long. I decided to remove the IUD as the doctor tried to convince me to get a new one put in. I refused. My period went back to normal right away and I became my happy self again. My husband and I use condoms. We both agreed birth control has its pros but many cons that can harm the women's body."

Jen (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 15, 2019

For Birth Control "Well, good for 10 years, effective for 10 years, hormone-free - sounds fantastic right? HA! That's what I thought. I had this godforsaken IUD put in after my second daughter (around Feb. 2018). From the get-go I've had very painful cramps, ovarian pains, mood swings, higher anxiety, more depression, SEVERE UNCONTROLLABLE RAGE AND ANGER OUTBURSTS, very, very heavy bleeding with clots, spotting between periods as if pregnant, very long periods, back pain, bruising and anemia, increased thirst, migraines, extremely itchy legs with some small blisters (just like it did when I was pregnant), vaginal odor like copper. I'm planning to have this THING removed soon. Which sucks because I can't take hormones due to severe migraines. Condoms it is again. P.S. I also know someone who got pregnant and gave birth while on Paragard."

Rage (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 15, 2019

For Birth Control "Was looking for new birth control, as having been on the pill for over a decade was taking its toll- my weight and blood pressure were up, so I needed something new. Went off of the pill for about 6 months to determine what to do and ultimately went with the paragard. Never been pregnant, got the paragard inserted a bit before my 30th birthday. Insertion was AWFUL, hence deducting one star. The 24 hours following insertion were also terrible- constant pain and I was really worried it wouldn't work out. But after another day the pain subsided. Not gonna lie- periods are a lot heavier and longer, so I deducted another star, but my pre-paragard periods were very short (2-3 days) and light, so nowI I suppose it's like having a regular period. Cramps are the same- no better, no worse. Libido is UP UP UP! Husband has no issue and has never felt the strings or anything."

LK January 15, 2019

For Birth Control "I had many symptoms that are not mentioned. I first started having heavier bleeding and horrible cramping during periods. The other problems I had gradually became unbearable and some I didn't link to the IUD instantly. I started having hip pain that I couldn't link to an injury and odd ankle pain when beginning to run. I began having severe tailbone pain over a month into having it. The stomach cramping started my last period after the period was done. I also had Bacterial Vaginosis. I became very emotional. The worst was the Tailbone pain. The Doctor said it probably wasn't my IUD. I had it removed. Within 1 hour the Tailbone pain was gone. I have an appointment tomorrow with the OBGYN to discuss all of this. I am not sure at this point how the Paraguard caused this but I am researching it. Doctors constantly said the IUD is most likely not causing all my symptoms but they all went away promptly when it was removed."

Crystal (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2019

For Birth Control "I have had one child before ParaGard insertion, I’m a 25 y/o very athletic female. I’ve had it inserted since 2015. My boyfriend and I have a very very regular sex and it has worked so far. I usually forget it is there.. my boobs and butt did get bigger but my waist stayed tiny. I can only say that my periods have gotten heavier, and my libido is way higher. You couldn’t pay me to have this thing removed."

Jesib13 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 12, 2019

For Birth Control "It was great for about 2 years..... until I got pregnant. Enough said"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 10, 2019

For Birth Control "My periods have been 400 times worse over the past 6 months (after the insertion) than I've ever had in my life. The amount of blood coming out of me is horrible and my period now lasts twice as long. It used to take 4 months to use up a box of tampons, I'm now at one box every 2 months. The cramps are horrendous. It's almost debilitating. I would say 50% of the time it hurts for me to have sex after the insertion of the IUD. I've actually cried from the pain of having sex. Its caused me to be scared of sex. And last but not least I'm having constant aching pain radiating from my lower right abdomen and into my lower back. Subconsciously I do not suck my gut in because it would cause more pain. And now that I've had such a bad experience having it inserted I'm scared out of my mind to have it removed. I hate it, it has caused more harm in my life than good."

Laura January 10, 2019

For Birth Control "Absolutely the worst experience of my life. Heavy brutal periods. Constant pain in my ovaries. I’m laying in my bed every single night with a heating pad. Can’t come out fast enough."

Pain queen January 9, 2019

For Birth Control "I used to have mirena but didn't like it cause of the hormones, so I tried paragard. Insertion hurt so bad I laid a F bomb on the dr. After a year my periods only got heavier and heavier. I can't even use tampons anymore. My cramps got worse and worse over time and nothing helped, even a muscle relaxer did nothing. Before I got this IUD I've never experienced things like this before. My cramps sometimes shot down into my legs and my back hurts so much I can barely move. I'm really considering getting it removed."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 8, 2019

For Birth Control "Mine was great"

Julie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 6, 2019

For Birth Control "I got the paraguard in Aug 2018. Insertion was no big deal. The first 3 months menses were obnoxiously long! One week spotting 5 days extremely heavy bleeding and several more days light bleeding. Cramps were not much more pronounced than usual. As far as effective birth control it works because it completely destroys your sex life!! Within a week of having it implanted, I had the most horrendous metallic smelling discharge. It was so foul I could smell it through my clothing. I went to the DR and confirmed, no infection, no BV, or yeast. Just nasty odor. I was so tired of it I got it removed. It took about two days for the odor to dissipate. It is Jan 2019 and I feel like a new woman. I will not go back to paraguard ever."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 6, 2019

For Birth Control "Works well but has been causing chronic BV Since I got it inserted 2 years ago. I have been taking probiotic pills now which have been a miracle for avoiding doctors visits every month."

Zazzie (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 26, 2018

For Birth Control "I had the ParaGard inserted in October 2018. I was told multiple times that it takes 3 months for your body to adjust to the IUD. It's been 2 months and I'm still experiencing severe pain. My cramps have amplified tenfold, it seems as if spotting NEVER stops, and I'm actually bed ridden when I full on bleed. The insertion was very painful, and now when my period comes around (I used to be VERY regular), not only do I cramp, but my lower back hurts so much that my entire mid-section feels as if it's trying to severe itself in half. This is the worst pain I've experienced... and I've had an abortion. I'm giving it one more month, but if my symptoms don't change, I am eager to get it removed."

Jess (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 23, 2018

For Birth Control "Pros: -The insertion of the ParaGard/ Copper IUD was not very painful luckily for me, just felt a pinch like sensation for a couple seconds. -It was effective at preventing pregnancy. -Doesn't have added hormones. -Cramps continued to be manageable and didn't worsen that much for me. Cons: -My periods got much heavier, requiring me to wear 2 super tampons at a time during my heaviest days. -Brown discharge at the beginning and end of my periods, and more clotting. -At my annual exam, my doctor told me my IUD was coming out and was confirmed by an ultrasound, and so I had to get it removed because it wasn't even in my uterus, making it an ineffective form of BC. I had gotten the IUD in April 2018 and it only stayed in until December 2018, so it didn't even stay inside for a full year, when it is supposed to last for 10 years... This is the main reason I am giving this BC only 5 stars out of 10."

Talia (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 22, 2018

For Birth Control "Had this IUD placed after 4 years of being on using nothing but condoms for contraception. Almost ended up in a mental hospital from copper toxicity. Knew something was very wrong but had no idea why because the side effects where not listed. Dark racing irrational thoughts that scared me, heart palpitations, unreasonable amounts of paranoia, extreme anxiety, severe personality shifts. Have read other stories than mine of women going manic. Finally figured out what was going on. The rep on the phone for Paragard told me “sorry that happened to you but the box says “this is not a complete list of side effects so sorry”. There is no complete list. Know the signs of copper toxicity so you can take it out early if you try this method. It will depend on your adrenal health and biochemical makeup but there is no way to know beforehand. I don’t want to scare anyone but I do want to share. I’m fine 1 year post removal but I lost everything and will never be the same"

D December 19, 2018

For Birth Control "I first started paragard in 2012. First couple years I didn't notice anything other than the usual side affects. My periods got really heavy and I became seriously anemic. Around 2015 I began having extreme mood shifts right before my period. It was getting worse as time went on so I went on an antidepressant but, it didn't do much with the PMS depression crashes. By 2017 my period was heavier than it had been in the past. I was also bleeding much more frequently. The extreme moods were so much worse. I was near suicidal whenever I would have PMS. Just to be totally accurate with this review, I have a history with depression and anxiety but had never experienced anything like this. I began reading reviews and other experiences with the paragaurd, and heard similar stories. About six months ago, I got the Paragaurd removed. My period went back to normal immediately after removal. The mood episodes are almost non existent."

yogagirl December 19, 2018

For Birth Control "At first I was really skeptical, because there are a lot of bad reviews, but I decided to still try it out anyway. I have never wrote a review on anything in my life, but I love this IUD so much I thought my review might help some people! Getting it inserted did cause some pain, it was about two big cramps and then it was in! The next two days I cramped very lightly, just like I would for a period and Advil took the cramping away! My first period with the IUD was a bit harsh, medicine and a heating pad helped though and I still went about my normal daily activities. My second period was about the same. All of the periods following that were completely back to normal, everything was exactly how it was before I got the IUD. I have had absolutely no physical changes, and I completely forget I have it. I love that it doesn't contain the hormones to change my body and that I never even notice it is there."

CollegeStudent December 17, 2018

For Birth Control "I had the Paragard placed in May of 2017. I chose Paragard since it’s hormone free and some of the studies I read said that copper IUD users had less incidence of cervical cancer. Apparently the inflammation it causes helps clear the HPV virus. The day of insertion was extremely painful. I rate it as high as when I broke my wrist. The pain became tolerable after a day, but I had absolutely no energy for several days to weeks. The periods and cramping were horrific even after taking ibuprofen. My boyfriend became concerned with the amount of NSAIDs I would take to try and feel normal. I decided to have it removed after 18 months. The nurse said at my removal today that they take more out then they put in. I feel that the 1/5 women statistic that have pain, cramps is an incorrect valuation."

Rees (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 13, 2018

For Birth Control "I had the Paragard IUD inserted 8 weeks after having my twins. It sounded great to have a long lasting birth control with no hormones. Well, about 3 days after having it inserted I started having severe pain. After only a week and a half, an x ray showed it perforated my uterus and was in my abdomen. Now I am recovering from the surgery to get it removed, while trying to take care of my 2 month old twins. I will be going back to the pill."

Shay (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2018

For Birth Control "DO NOT RECOMMEND. I just removed Paragard after 2 years of having it. In the beginning everything seemed to be fine, apart from heavy bleeding which I was prepared for. Most of the days of my period I had to have a tampon and a pad in order to stop the bleeding. In the past year I had reoccurring yeast infections almost every month. I tried changing my diet, taking probiotics, without any change. However the real problem was of the mental kind, over the years my mood swings and depression got much worse, with episodes of intense anger, anxiety and sadness days before my period. It all culminated with last month when I felt deeply depressed and suicidal for no apparent reason– I finally decided to have the IUD removed. The removal was terrifying, because the obgyn couldn't find the device, so she had to use the ultrasound and apply 3 anesthetic injections my cervix during the removal. I'm so happy that I did it, I feel so much better and calmer now."

Anna December 9, 2018

For Birth Control "I just got the paragard inserted on 12/4/18 while still on depo provera. My next shot would have been due on 1/5/19 but I am not getting it due to having the IUD inserted. I was also on a period while I got it inserted. So far everything is good, cramping after the insertion was really bad took 1,000 mg of ibuprofen but the next day it wasn't bad only took 800 mg of ibuprofen in the morning that day and the following day. Now on the third day there's barely anything besides slight bleeding. I chose this because this specific IUD because I was tired of having a low sex drive, depressed mood, weight gain, and hair falling out on the depo provera. I got three shots and gained 10 pounds!!! I plan to keep the paragard until 12/2028 which is when I am supposed to get it removed."

goodvibrations222 (taken for less than 1 month) December 7, 2018

For Birth Control "The side effects are not worth it. I have had this for a little over a year and I regret ever getting it. Have an appointment to get it removed and i cannot wait."

Headacheforweeks December 6, 2018

For Birth Control "I got the IUD in May 2015 and just had it taken out (Nov 2018) due to a complication. Insertion wasn't bad at all, just a little pinch and that was it. I went to lunch after! For the first 3 years it was great. Heavier periods and more cramping, but no moody changes/depression/weight gain - so I would say the pros far outweigh the cons. I never had bad periods anyways, so the heavier version of what I had wasn't bad. The issue for me came when I lost 40 lbs in 2 months, due to other personal issues. Losing that much weight that quickly caused the paragard to shift and sit too low, which caused awful periods and terrible cramping - my body was trying to expel it since it was no longer correctly placed. I ended up having to get it out and got skyla in today (which was 6/10 pain scale insertion for me - where I would say Paragard was 3/10), just thought I would try something new and see how it goes! Paragard was great though - loved that it was hormone free and lasted 10 years. Hope this helps!"

jslcgirl December 6, 2018

For Birth Control "I had severe pain, heavy bleeding and clotting for the entire time. After removing the device, I had a hysterectomy within six months."

Sorrow December 5, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...