User Reviews for ParaGard

Birth Control 346 reviews 298 medications

7.6
Summary of ParaGard reviews 346 reviews 7.6

Reviews for ParaGard

For Birth Control "I'm 30 and have been on Sprintec BC pill since I was 16. I was so tired of the low sex drive that the pill gave me, so I decided to make the move to ParaGard. The insertion was very painful, I took two Advil Liquid gel pills prior to showing up to my Dr.'s I like to think I have a high pain tolerance but I won't lie, it wasn't fun. It's now day 3 and I'm still cramping and bleeding but it's getting better... At the moment I would do anything to get rid of the cramping but I have hope that this was the right move for me!"

BW123 April 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I wanted to share my feelings on Paragard since I just got mine a few months ago and have heard some pretty scary things about it. I am 21 and came off NuvaRing after 3 years of using it. The the insertion of the IUD was the most painful thing I've ever felt, it made me nauseous BUT it was over within 10 minutes. The following week was hell with non stop cramps and bleeding. After a week, I felt great! My period came earlier than expected but was roughly the same as it was before having the IUD. 7-8 days with 3 days of debilitating cramps and enough bleeding to use a super tampon in 45min. It didn't hurt worse or last longer! Now in month 2, I still feel great. My messed my cycle up a bit but it is getting more regular again. I love it!"

Baby anxiety (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I recently had my IUD inserted 4 days ago. I am 21 never have been pregnant and let me tell you that pain was so uncomfortable but it went away quickly. I took ibuprofen and still had some painful but tolerable cramps. The day of my insertion I was on my cycle, pretty heavy bleeding but it went away faster than it ever has when I was on the pill."

MBA 2016 (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I have had ParaGard for 5 years and it has been perfect for me. I have never had children and insertion HURT. I hadn't prepared or taken any pain killers. I needed pain killers for a week and my next three or four periods were more painful. To be fair, I had previously been on the pill which regulated my periods and made them nearly painless. I love not worrying about birth control and the pain of insertion was for sure worth it. It doesn't bother my husband at all. I would recommend this as a long- term bc. I had to go on hormonal bc very young to be allowed to take an unrelated medication. I wanted to do something natural that I didn't have to remember daily. I would just recommend pain killers before you get it put in!"

SuzieQXYZ April 15, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "New to IUD, never had kids. Easy insertion, NO cramping, NO heavy flow -- I wish I'd gotten a ParaGard IUD sooner!"

Aamcha (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I've had the Paragard for a month now and I absolutely love it! I got it inserted 3 months after having my son and I didn't even feel them put in it. Afterwards I had mild cramping and spotting for a few days, then it went away. I am breastfeeding so I have not gotten a period yet, but my cycles have always been heavy. I would have a heavier cycle than get pregnant again so soon! Or deal with synthetic hormones! The only complaint I have is the increase of discharge I have constantly. Other than that I love it and would recommend it for any mother."

Rebekahle April 14, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "New to paraguard, love it. Never had kids, want to eventually. Insertion was not terrible, a pinch to measure then another pinch to insert & done. I was prescribed 3 pills to soften the lining of my uterus & I guess they worked. I took aleve before & continued through the next 2 days. I had my SO come with me for insertion & I'm glad I did. I could have driven home but it was nice to be able to relax with my cramping & not worry about driving. I'm very glad I took a half day at work! Thermacare heat pads were my bff for the first 2 days. I spotted on and off for 8 days but since have had regular bleeding & some cramps. My body adjusted well to hormone free bc & not having to remember a pill is liberating!"

Ashes27 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 13, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I just got the copper IUD removed after having it for 7 months. I am normally a really positive person with a happy demeanor and I am convinced that the copper IUD threw me into depression and anxiety. I have NEVER had depression or anxiety, and every month my moods got worse, I would cry almost everyday, I would snap at my bf or family for the smallest thing, and I felt rage almost all the time. I was trying to figure out if something else in my life was affecting me, I even went to my therapist and a depression care specialist. I finally read some reviews on the copper IUD and depression and it seems pretty common. Drs will tell you it's not the IUD but please trust your intuition. I also had yeast infection & BV almost every month because of IUD."

Lwolford (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 11, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "My doctor advised me to do research about this before the procedure, where I came across this site, these reviews scared me to death. I wouldn't recommend doing that. If you have very painful periods where you stop mid step curled over in pain, this procedure hurts less than that and it's done is 5-10 minutes. Definitely was way more scared than I should be I should be."

23shannon April 7, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I am 21, never had kids, have regular periods that are light-medium, and am very active. I recently got the Paragard inserted. The insertion was only painful for a brief 3 seconds (I also forgot to take ibuprofen before my appointment). The next few days consisted of some strong cramping that came in cycles, but it only required one dose of 400mg of ibuprofen a day to help with that. I only have some light spotting that requires panty liners, however, the cramps and spotting are decreasing with each day. Had sex on day 3 and everything felt normal! It is now day 5 for me and I have resumed working out with moderate intensity. Don't listen to the horror stories, you may be one of those lucky people (like me) that have a good experience!"

Fitgurl21 (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "So this morning I got my first ParaGard inserted. I am 20 years old and have never had a baby. I made the mistake of reading reviews and experiences along with the horror stories about insertion. I figured that since I was so young and have never had a baby this was going to be awful, down right excruciating. Well it was not. I realize the pain varies from body to body, but if you were like me, reading and reading reviews scared to death, it is okay, you will be fine it legit lasts a minute. It does not feel like someone is tasering my uterus nor is it the worst pain I have ever experienced (literally what I read and expected). Feels like a deep strong cramp, tolerable cramp."

Feliciag March 31, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I'm 25 single mother to 8 year old twins an IUD was my choice of birth control I've had paragard over 5 years already and I can say it's perfect haven't gotten pregnant, period lasts about 3 days, no mood swings, no pain, no heavy period. I love it and I'm happy I chose paragard I had used other birth control methods & hated them if you're not planning to have kids soon this is the best method to avoid having any lol"

Joyful91 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 31, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I have had the PARAGARD for a little over 5 years. I have three children and decided that is enough. The first time I went to get it placed the NP was THE WORST and it was so painful she did not seem to know what she was doing. At one point she left me in the room with the duck clips left in my whoha and said she need to get another doctor. When she finally decided to come back I said please take this out and I'm done I want to leave. Two weeks later I knew I needed to go back so I did with a different NP and she was wonderful. I had it placed no problem, a bit of pain but nothing that was I could not handle. My periods are for the most part irregular. I have noticed my sex drive is a bit lower like don't touch me if I'm not in the mood."

Who Puts it in MATTERS ! (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 29, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I've had the Paraguard IUD for 7 years. I primarily chose it because if I decided to have more kids it's easy to remove and the no hormones means I can try right away. I didn't want a BC that interfered with my hormones or fertility. My only issue with it is my period never returned to normal."

Cla1010060708 March 29, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "If you are reading reviews... stop. Paraguard reacts differently to everyone that gets it, I almost scared myself out of getting it after days of reading the reviews but you will never know if you do not go through with it. I'm not lie it was painful day one and two, but it really is not bad! My periods are the same as they used to be (last about 4 days with moderate flow) just a bit crampier a week before and when I ovulate. The pain is nothing a few Advil can't solve. A few side effects that I experienced - I was bloated for the first couple weeks - Spot bleeding here and there - Cramps are sharper Honestly that's it...for me this was the BEST option on the market!"

Georgie123456 March 28, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I am 21 years old and never been pregnant. I've had my paragard for about 4 months now. I did an IMMENSE about of research on IUDs. Therefore, I felt I was completely prepared for the insertion as well as the effects thereafter. I was probably more anxious for the insertion process than I needed to be. It DID NOT hurt as much as the horror stories stated online. It hurt for about 10 seconds as my doctor was measuring, then about 2 seconds for the insertion. After that, there was a mild cramp for the rest of the day and some spotting. Tada, 99%+ efficacy. I'd say the worst part would be the longer/heavier periods and random spotting. But I'd honestly rather have that than a child I'm not ready for. Do your research and know your options! :)"

rayofsun (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 28, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "Paragard was totally the right decision of IUD for me! I did not want to deal with the side effects of the hormones in the Mirena (or the other brands). I had a lot of friends get those removed because the hormones messed with them. Insertion was not nearly as bad as I anticipated. Definitely uncomfortable and worse than a pap smear, but nothing I couldn't handle. I took plenty of ibuprofen that day and watched a season of Game of Thrones. Not a bad day. My first two periods afterward were heavier, crampy, and less predictable, but after that they got back on schedule, and the cramps are no worse now than before the IUD. In fact, they may be more mild for me now. My boyfriend can sometimes feel the string, but who cares, he can deal!"

AnneofAvonlea (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 27, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I got the Paragard put in today and I have never felt such bad pain in my entire life. I would consider myself to have quite a high pain tolerance, and I almost passed out while the doctor was measuring my cervix. All of the color drained out of my face and everything became sparkley. The doctor and her assistant were very helpful and walked me through the whole process, but nothing could prepare me for the pinching cramping pain. I am spotting just a little, and the cramps are still doing pretty bad. Ibuprofen wouldn't cut it for me so I had to take something a bit stronger with a glass of wine and a heating pad, but other than that the cramping is definitely a lot better than it was 5 hours ago."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I have been using paragard for almost 3 years now. So far so good. But since I got it inserted, I don't have regular period. Just spotting here and there. I don't even need to use a pad. I'm worried because most of women have complain about heavy period but mine is totally opposite. I am having thyroid problems also. I wonder if its because of IUD. Doctor said its okay not to have period but my belly is so bloated and looks like 8 months pregnant."

Maya2017 March 22, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "Hi! So I'm 26 with 3 kids I had my last baby 3 months ago and I decided to get something that I wouldn't have to worry for a long time. It wasn't painful at all the only time I felt a hard pinch was when the doctor said he would measure my uterus I felt when he inserted the IUD but it was not painful at all.. when I went home I felt cramping throughout the day but ibuprofen did the work I haven't had any bleeding at all ...I will update in a few weeks!"

Saraeee March 17, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I really liked this birth control. Except a couple things.. constant yeast infections and sooooo much vaginal discharge it was so disgusting. My periods would also come heavy for 10 days. I mean it's convenient but I wouldn't put it in again."

Mommy122 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 16, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "I am 20 years old now and have had Paragard in for about 3 months. I can honestly say this was such a good decision! I have never had kids or an abortion, so I am not the usual patient for these. To describe my experience, I researched a lot about this before I went in and thought getting it in was going to hurt LIKE CRAZY. It didn't. It felt mildly uncomfortable for about 10 seconds then that was it. As for the first few days after, the cramps were bad, I'll admit that. I have never had period cramps before then so I will admit I was pretty miserable, but it was definitely worth it in the long run! Ever since, I have had little cramping and my periods have been ever so slightly heavier than usual but not that bad! Highly recommend!"

INeedANewName123456 March 16, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "Hi I am 18 and have no kids. So I had paragard inserted about two weeks ago insertion process was just very bad cramping that continued for that entire day but it actually wasn't too bad. But I'm already concerned with the paragard. pros: unprotected sex and no hormones since I do not do well with hormones as I had been on the pill previously. My side effects may be TMI but they are horrible vaginal odor that is non stop, moderate cramping after sex, and non stop discharge. The strings also poke my boyfriend which is sometimes a distraction... I haven't had my period with it yet but I'm honestly very worried about it. If you are considering paragard, just be aware of all possible side effects."

krisAZ (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "Every woman is different so make sure you talk to your dr about what is best for you. But I personally don't think women who have never had a kid should get an IUD. I had an AWFUL experience with mirena (extremely painful placement) before I had a child several years ago . Experienced terrible pain after 30 days and had it removed. And bled for 6 months. But my Dr. said that since I've had a child I should have a different experience with an IUD because my uterus is larger after having a child. So I decided to get Paraguard. Since they're no hormones and it lasts 10 years. I had it placed today and it hardly hurt at all. Just some mild cramping. So far so good.. hopefully I continue to have a good experience."

Cnicho14 March 9, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Birth Control "Wanted to share a positive story on here! I love the Paragard and recommend it to everyone I know. I am currently 21, got my Paragard inserted in July 2014 when I had just turned 19. Never been pregnant or given birth. I had never been on birth control because I didn't want to use hormonal birth control or take a pill everyday. Gyno prescribed Misoprostol to take before the process, which I believe really helped with insertion. The IUD failed to insert twice, but went through the third time, and I've had NO problems since! Works perfectly with a steady boyfriend, I love the long-term use and no hormones. I highly recommend for young women who don't want to have children until their late 20's/early 30's!"

Kate0909 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 9, 2017