User Reviews for ParaGard

Birth Control
6.6

Summary of ParaGard reviews 6.6 589 reviews

Reviews for ParaGard

For Birth Control "The idea of having to not worry about pregnancy and being able to avoid hormones was exciting. The painful insertion was even worth the idea that this would be a real life saver but 7 months of having this is more than enough! I have extremely thick and heavy discharge everyday to the point of needing to wear a thin menstrual pad each day which is a complete turn off for intimacy! My menstrual cycle went from 3 days prior to having my IUD to know having 15-20 day periods! I no longer experience menstrual cramps during my period but I do have sharp and severe pain thru out the entire month. Ideally just having my daughter is all I want but I'm having my IUD removed and would much rather a second child than dealing with the side effects"

MeganAda January 16, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve enjoyed not worrying about pregnancy and having a very normal cycle."

KCAmaryllis (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 14, 2018

For Birth Control "The insertion was extremely uncomfortable, but quick. I experienced discomfort and pain in my ovaries, instead of my regular period cramping. My periods began lasting over two weeks and I would bleed through super plus tampons and liners. Severe ovary, back, and leg pain. The psychological symptoms: I felt out of control, enraged, sad, exhausted, lifeless. After 6 cycles I had it removed. I now have a normal cycle (26 days) 5 days of normal bleeding, no ovary pains, minor cramps, very little back and leg pain, no headaches, no major mood swings. All psychological symptoms are "normal," I'm slightly emotional and a little anxious, but I feel like myself."

AmyVB January 11, 2018

For Birth Control "I got my Paraguard inserted on Dec 22,2017 after being on birth control pills for 5 years, I had read the good and the bad reviews and although I was scared to getting it since I have never had any kids I got in anyway. Went to my appointment expecting to be in a lot of pain, getting it inserted was honestly very uncomfortable but I took it and after was cramping a bit on and off and began to spot. To not make this story longer than what it is I pretty much started to bleed heavy for 15 days which was apparently normal according to the nurses and now it has completely stopped along with the cramps. I am super happy about not bleeding and I have high hopes in this working for me and my partner. Will try and update soon!"

Thays94 (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2018

For Birth Control "First one expelled after a year. Immediately got another and it's kept Iin and effective for 4 years now."

Amyeureka January 9, 2018

For Birth Control "I had this inserted 10 weeks post baby. Insertion hurt, whenever I sat down/driving/couch/bed. I was breastfeeding & not only did my supply dry up quickly, it never came back even though my appetite on this was the most unreal. I was never able to get that full feeling you get when you eat 2 much, I literally ate all day long, gained 20 in 2 months & my whole milk supply dried up. My hair became dry & broke off, developed several bald spots that came back after I got it removed 4 months later. It was heartbreaking, my supply was gone, I pumped round the clock for weeks on end 2 get my supply going..after I became anemic (it increases bleeding), it was removed."

Janesays2016 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 4, 2018

For Birth Control "I was hesitant to get the Paragaurd after seeing some of these reviews and I know every body is different - so I'm here to share a positive one. I made the switch from being on the NuvaRing for 4 years. My gyno prescribed me pain killers to take for the insertion, so the procedure was absolutely painless. Afterwards, there was cramping and bleeding but that was expected. I spotted and cramped until my next period which was about 2 weeks. Yes, there was more blood and more cramping than I was used to but nothing some advil can't fix. After my first period, no cramping or spotting in between cycles and my cycle is completely regular. With every period, the cramps and bleeding seem to get more tolerable. I'm very happy I made the switch!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2017

For Birth Control "Try and stick it out! Insertion was painful and periods were a lot more crampy for about 3 months after. I decided to give it a few months to settle (as my Drs advised) and get it removed if it didn't. By the 4th month, period pains were fine again. Initial pain aside, I don't think you can beat the copper IUD. No hormones/side effects on the body apart from initial discomfort & it's 99% effective. I tried various pills and all were too hormonally imbalancing/ took a toll on my skin/moods/cycle. Condoms are obviously an important safeguard in one-off situations, but they're not foolproof and they can be irritating and I've found they exacerbate cystitis. In a relationship, the non-hormonal IUD is great!"

tessilov (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 29, 2017

For Birth Control "Due to no thyroid & being on super sensitive hormonal medication that'd be thrown out of whack by hormonal BC, I'd looked at copper IUD, but decided to make do with the cycle count method, till I got pregnant.. Again.. Already had 1 that's more than a handful, so after termination, decided to finally go ahead with this.. It has caused obnoxiously heavy bleading (25+ years old, never bled thru clothes, till this thing) Ruined my sex life.. Even the bravest of men wouldn't want to have sex while there is THAT much blood flowing.. & the bleeding never ends... Just goes from ungodly heavy flow for 10-20 days, down to constant spotting, then back to heavy horror show. It stabs into me 24/7. But haven't gotten pregnant again so 5 stars!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 28, 2017

For Birth Control "Had nothing but problems with this. The main problem is it's painful during sex for me and my partner. We are going to be getting it out tomorrow"

Nessa1994s December 27, 2017

For Birth Control "This was a bittersweet experience. I didn’t get pregnant, that I know of, but I passed enough blood clots that were huge, bleeding beyond what I feel is normal-soaking pads and clothes within an hour. Having to wear all black and the diva cup to help with the flow and spill. Then, out of no where I just start bleeding for two weeks and had some type of infection. I have made an appointment to have it removed for something else."

Imani216 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 24, 2017

For Birth Control "I have had the device for almost a month and I am having a terrible time with it. I’ve been experiencing severe headaches with suddenly onset like something I had never felt before. When I don’t have a headache, I feel as though my brain does not fit in my skull. It has been debilitating. The nausea has been just as bad. I’ve thrown up and have also felt as though I just cannot get enough calories while also not having an appetite. I constantly feel hot and have had cramping and discharge ever since placement. I also go through points of the day where I’m suddenly tired and unable to function. I’m considering going to the ER. That’s how bad I’m feeling."

CherryBerry Bomb December 24, 2017

For Birth Control "I have had a Paragard for 2 1/2 years. It has completely changed my life for the better. I had outrageous PMDD and unbalanced hormones that nearly destroyed my life for the entirety of my 20s. Traditional birth control did not help me over the years as I was super sensitive to the hormones and it was never successful as birth control (it's main function). After the Paragard was inserted my hormones proceeded to balance out and my cycle really didn't go under any major changes. I am childless and the insertion process wasn't difficult and I was back to my life the next day. Being able to experience sexuality without the heavy burden of pregnancy is a life changer. 100 % satisfied with my Paragard experience. :)"

BastilleDay (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 23, 2017

For Birth Control "Paragard made my life a living hell. Not to be disgusting but, my periods looked like that scene from the shining where blood floods the hallways. I knew it might make them a little heavier but I wasn't warned it could be to that extent. I wasn't able to wear tampons because I'd bleed through them in less than an hour. I had it checked via ultrasound and it was still placed correctly. Besides the blood, my cramps were extremely intense, it felt like I was getting knifed in the stomach and I couldn't stand up straight. It also gave me hives all over my body, which was very uncomfortable. If you have any sensitivity to metals I would NOT recommend Paragard as it is made from copper."

Ash-b (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 23, 2017

For Birth Control "I've had my paragard in for 8 years now. I go see my ob every 6 months like I'm suppose to for check up s and everything is always good. I do though have side effects since I've had it in. Like, pain bad pain. Like if I get up from sitting down quickly, I literally drop to the floor in pain, and it only last a couple of seconds. Also I bleed for two weeks straight. And in extreme pain for the first 2 or 3 days of my menstrual cycle. But, that's about it. No paragard pregnancy or anything. I'm now just nervous about getting it taken out. Ugh. The worry."

Theresaghernandez December 21, 2017

For Birth Control "When I first got the copper IUD, I bled for about two months. The first month was heavy and I experienced a lot of painful cramping every single day. The second month was more spotting, but still a lot of cramping. My periods have gone from being sort of heavy lasting five days, to going through a super+ tampon in 30 minutes and lasting 10 days. I take birth control to combat the heaviness of my period, however it’s still very heavy. I’m getting it removed in a week because of the heaviness and pain that comes with my periods."

Chonz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 15, 2017

For Birth Control "I've had my Paragard for about 9 months now and couldn't be happier! I've tried to wait a decent amount of time before reviewing it but I couldn't wait any longer. I'm 25, no kids, history of regular periods (clockwork), no prior usage of hormonal bc prior to insertion. My insertion was quick & easy but mildly uncomfortable. I had it inserted on my period after having taken 2 Advil prior and afterward, my periods were light and virtually pain free! I usually have really bad cramps but for 4 months, they weren't an issue. Period stayed on its normal schedule but lasted a day longer. Periods are now slightly back to normal but still great (4 days, mild cramping), sex is great (still able to do all the fun stuff) & no changes to body or mood!"

Thriving with my copper! (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 13, 2017

For Birth Control "I had the IUD In place for 9 years. Had increasing symptoms of worsening PMS, heavy bleeding, increased pain during menstruation. Last month I found out I was pregnant. Great now it failed completely. I had it removed and subsequently lost the baby. The story doesn't end there. For two weeks I had excruciating pain and continued spotting. I went for a scan on Wednesday to find I had also an ectopic pregnancy growing in my right ovary. I went for emergency surgery and had my ovary and fallopian tube removed and an excess of 200 ml of internal blood removed. So while the IUD technically did its job it completely failed me in the end."

Didn't do its job (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 10, 2017

For Birth Control "I had high hopes for this birth control, reading all the effects of hormonal birth control has me afraid to try anything else. Insertion was quick but very painful, worst pain I have ever felt in my life. So make sure you take some Motrin at least 1hr beforehand. Adjusting period wasn't bad, spotting here and there for about 2 weeks. Some of the cons are heavier period with more cramps, but I've always had a 7 day and painful periods so I did not notice a change. Worked great I had no side effects for almost a year. Then I got pregnant with the IUD in the correct position. Luckily it was not ectopic. Still it had 1 job and failed."

Disapointedpb December 5, 2017

For Birth Control " Had it put in two months ago. Insertion was a mildly unpleasant experience, but not bad. I went to the library to work right afterward. Cramped every few days for the first month, but I haven't felt anything this month. I still use condoms here and thats out of paranoia, but it's amazing to (mostly) not worry about getting pregnant. I've been recommending this to my friends. Just be sure you have a good doctor with lots of practice inserting IUDs. Hypochondriacs might want to use a birth control method less easy to use as a scapegoat for every headache or tired afternoon, though."

Heather J (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2017

For Birth Control "I had two pregancies from the paraguard iud. I thought the first was rare and then I got pregnant again!!! Both of my children are healthy and a blessing. But I really didn’t want to keep expanding my family at this time. The first IUD was in for more than a year and the second IUD was in for 8 months until I was expecting another baby"

Kris12890 December 1, 2017

For Birth Control "I had this BC placed in OCT of 2017. The entire month that I had it in I was constantly tired, extremely bloated, bled heavily, and had no energy. I realize this BC has no hormones (I specifically chose this BC for this reason) but I listened to my body. Please do not let anyone tell you that these symptoms are normal and not caused by the IUD. I never had these symptoms on Mirena. Listen to your bodies ladies and do not let the OB tell you differently! Got mine removed after a month and a half. So happy."

Kplum (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 30, 2017

For Birth Control "Do not get this device. It stalks you. It dumps copper into your body by hiding in the muscles and dumping it out during stress that brings mind blowing anxiety and terrible malaise during detox. This device is detrimental to your adrenals. Adrenal burnout is a side effect. It really messes with your mind It cause emotional roller coasters that will leave you screaming at the ones you love. Drs need to get on board. Research needs to be done."

Tthill71 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 27, 2017

For Birth Control "POSITIVE PARAGARD EXPERIENCE! -29 yrs old, no kids, periods always regular, retroverted uterus Insertion-uncomfortable but lasted 10 min, breathe and take your motrin Cramps after insertion, bloating, went away after a couple days Next weeks had minor drop of blood spotting here and there Had a significant spot of blood 5 days before period was due..it was enough to have to clean up but then stopped completely Got my period 3 days early, had cramps that morning, took motrin, that was it for cramps Period was HEAVY-1 light, 2 filling up diva cup quickly (overflowed one night I'd wear pads until confident),1 light, 1 spotting-Total 5 days Husband can't feel it or hasn't mentioned it All in all...best decision ever! Good luck ladies!"

CorBurg November 27, 2017

For Birth Control "Fatigue Joint Pain Depression Loss of libido"

LEMS87 November 26, 2017