User Reviews for ParaGard

Birth Control 5.8

Reviews for ParaGard

Jane Doe September 10, 2020

For Birth Control: “I've had ParaGard for 3 years. I love it. Absolutely no changes or side effects. That's why I love it because its non hormonal and doesn't affect you mentally or screw up your bodily functions. It's just copper. Insertion was quick and easy. Only difference is my period comes more often now and is heavier than usual. But I don't mind because it's worth it for having the best hormone free, most effective birth control that lasts for 10 years.”

T September 3, 2020

For Birth Control: “I used Nexplanon before and had terrible mood swings so I thought Paraguard would be a better alternative being non-hormonal. I had ParaGard for 4 months and noticed I was way more fatigued and anxious with bad cramps and my period was heavy, I was bleeding through an extra large maxi pad in an hour. I went to get it out and they said it was stuck and I may have needed surgery to get it out! Took three tries to finally yank it out a few days ago and already feel so much calmer and less in pain. Instead I’m going to use natural family planning (apps like Lily allow you to track your cervical mucus and temperature and cycle to be more effective) with barrier methods like condoms or cervical caps during my fertile times. Really disappointed in this contraception method, I have PCOS as well and found it made my symptoms much worse than before. I wish I didn’t get it to save myself 4 months of anxiety and laying in bed with debilitating cramps.”

None ya · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 27, 2020

For Birth Control: “I was petrified to get this ParaGard put in. I had passed it up the first time and then decided I was over hormonal birth control. My sister had a good experience so I finally made the appointment. I read people have taken ibuprophen before hand so I did. I felt nothing but a poke. And when she said she was done, I said that’s it. It took 5 minutes. No cramping during or after. Guess I got lucky. On a pain scale 1-10 it was a 0. I spotted for 3-4 days then it completely stopped. I got my period on my normal expected 28th day. No more bleeding or cramping that the norm without this. 10/10 recommend you try it. Reviews are to be taken lightly as everyone’s body is different.”

E · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 25, 2020

For Birth Control: “After a year and 3 months with my paragard I actually got pregnant and had to have a medical abortion :/ but this is SUPER rare, and I must’ve had unprotected sex 200 times in that time period and it was effective every other time, lol Besides the issue of me getting pregnant on ParaGard, my periods went from 3-4 days to 5-6, and my bleeding was so heavy that I used to say you could squeeze me like a ketchup bottle and blood would come squirting out haha. Cramps were also occasionally awful I didn't get a hormonal IUD because I was afraid of getting worse acne, which I think was a good decision because I don't think ParaGard affected my skin at all Overall I would recommend paragard because I felt like I never had to worry”

! · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 25, 2020

For Birth Control: “Before I got the copper IUD I came on here and read all the reviews, even the bad ones. I still went along with my insertion and at first it was great. Then after a month I started to bleed with no pain. This continued for the next 4 MONTHS. I went for an ultrasound and the doctors told me it shifted so I would just have to get it replaced. I did exactly that. (how dumb of me). After I got the replacement I bled for another 3 MONTHS, straight, no pain AT ALL. I got it removed in May 2020 and let me tell you, Ive never felt better. Birth control is not for everyone but be careful !!! It’s scary what doctors don’t tell you. If you read these negative reviews it’s for a reason!!! trust yourself!!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 23, 2020

For Birth Control: “I came on here to read reviews before getting my Paragard. For some background, I have no children and have been diagnosed with PCOS. Some of the things people said had me scared and ready to cancel my appointment. I am so glad I went through with it! The insertion felt like a quick menstrual cramp. I couldn't believe how easy it was. As far as the side effects go, I've had none aside from one day (day 2) of a slightly heavier period and there was slight cramping for a few hours after insertion. I've had it for over a year now and have had no issues whatsoever. Remember, people rarely share their good experiences. You won't know how it effects you until you try it out for yourself.”

Momo August 21, 2020

For Birth Control: “I've had this ParaGard IUD for two years I got it a few months after giving birth. I wanted a method that would not add hormones to my body, after having such horrible side effects hormonal birth control. Insertion was equivalent to a pap smear if you can count that as a positive. Prior to this IUD I had no cramps during my period light PMSing light flow. After this IUD cramps are really bad - like giving birth bad -never had to take pain relievers to minimize the pain, now it is necessary, my flow is heavy like red sea heavy. Like tampons, large menstrual cup or extra large heavy flow pads will not hold it. Had never stained my clothes this bad before bad. Sex drive is non existing. Does it work ”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 21, 2020

For Birth Control: “I got the Paraguard - due to having the hormonal IUD that caused me to gain weight, have EXTREME anxiety, and have terrible mood swings. Insertion was pretty painful but it really just depends on how good you can handle pain. The next day after my insertion, I barely had any cramps. Anyone needing reassurance about the Copper IUD due to issues with the hormonal IUD, I would say go for it! Everyone’s body is different. Some people can’t handle pain like others.”

Allison · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 21, 2020

For Birth Control: “I expected to get worse cramping and periods the first 6 months or so after insertion of ParaGard, which is fine. After about 2 years of having it in, I started getting hormonal issues (low thyroid, loss of period for up to 6 months at a time, recurring BV, horrible bloating and water retention and fatigue either the week before or during my period-sometimes this lasted 2.5 weeks). I do think the BV is related to the IUD, but I’m not sure about the other symptoms. Can anyone else relate?!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 11, 2020

For Birth Control: “I had the Paragard for a year and a half and I experienced side effects of nausea ,hair loss , depression and really bad anxiety. I had my periods 2 times a month I was loosing a lot of blood and I talk to my doctor and she told me that the symptoms I had didn’t have anything to do with the Paragard. I recently took out the iud and all those symptoms were gone would definitely not recommend!”

EG August 8, 2020

For Birth Control: “I have been struggling for years with the negative side effects of other birth control methods, I have experienced nothing of the sort with the copper IUD. Having not had children yet the insertion was very painful, it took three attempts for it to be properly inserted (this perhaps could be the fault of the inserter). However, I had only very light cramping after the insertion. I should say that previously to the copper IUD I rarely experienced period cramps so this was my biggest side effect fear. I am happy to say that after the first three months of periods my cramping subsided and I have not had much cramping for my last two periods. The first three months were extreme pain, the cramps could be felt not only in my uterus but down my legs. Six months out my period is almost painless although heavier than it used to be, nothing unmanageable and not any longer . Don't let these reviews scare you, every body is different.”

Lo June 17, 2020

For Birth Control: “I’ve been on Paragard for 10 months now... where do I even begin... (I’ve always had horrible cramping on my periods but this is different cramping). I read a lot about this and have yet to hear anything about the cramping that have. It’s not this severe all the time but it literally takes my breath away. Its normally just the first 2-3 days but it’s like a stabbing pain in my uterus... and here’s the real weird part it’s not just my uterus. The stabbing, breath-taking pain shoots up my butthole... Yes, you heard me... it makes me feel like I’m constipated with severe, shooting gas pains that might explode. So I had an ultrasound/internal exam and they said everything was fine. I’m still on this... because there really aren’t many birth controls left that I haven’t already heard horror stories (even though this is one) to or have tried. But hey, I’m not pregnant so I guess it’s effective. Let me know if you get these pains...”

Elle Dee · Taken for less than 1 month June 16, 2020

For Birth Control: “I recently got Paragard inserted, the insertion wasn’t too bad it was instant cramps though & they increased as that day went on so much so I took about 2 ibuprofen 800s & laid around with my heating pad. My period was due around the time so I cramped up until it came about 4 days later. I normally cramp so it was nothing out of the ordinary or that ibuprofen couldn’t handle. The bleeding however where as my period is normally 4/5 days I am now on day 6 & over it. Came to see how long periods normally last after insertion because really I’m over it lol. I am not cramping at all anymore & can’t even tell it’s there. So far so good”

CN June 16, 2020

“I got my Paraguard a little over a year ago and getting it inserted was not comfortable but it was fast so the pain wasn't too bad. I didn't have any cramping after it was inserted but I did start my period the next day and it didn't stop for 6 weeks. I've also had very painful cramps and super heavy periods ever since then, and had frequent UTI's for the first 6 months. My OB said they occur from bacteria climbing the IUD string so I'm not sure if this is a normal thing for IUDs but it's not fun. I would suggest having your OB check the length of the string a month after getting it because mine shifted down and was too long for my cervix which caused pain during sex. Getting it trimmed was fast but again not fun. Positives with the Paraguard is that it works, you don't have to think about it and once it's in you're good for 10 yrs. But consider the side effects before committing because its a lot to go through if you're just going to take it out a couple months after getting it placed.”

HQ · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 9, 2020

For Birth Control: “I’ve had ParaGuard implanted for a year and a half now. I absolutely love it now but getting through the first 6 months was patchy. I’m glad I stuck with it though because my period is not as irregular. My mind doesn’t feel as cloudy or crowded. The cramps come and go with some period cycles being more painful than others. But overall I’m glad I made this choice”

Katlynn June 5, 2020

For Birth Control: “My body keeps rejecting the IUD and IDK why. It has come out twice in 4 months, it was half way out my cervix causing pains .IDK what to try anymore but my body rejects it ”

Gem June 4, 2020

For Birth Control: “Really conflicted on ParaGard. For more than two years, I was happy to deal with the side effects (heavier periods w/ stronger cramping) if it meant safe, non-hormonal birth control. However, due to some recent HEAVY & fresh bleeding outside of my normal period, something didn't feel right, so I went to an OBGYN for an exam and an ultrasound. If you think something's wrong with your IUD, MAKE SURE YOU GET AN ULTRASOUND!! After the visual exam she said it seemed fine, but an ultrasound revealed that my IUD had dropped too low into my cervix AND was partially twisted, with one arm not fully deployed. They suspect when I got it inserted I wasn't properly measured, and my too-small uterus had been trying to expel it over time. The technician said that if it couldn't be easily removed in the office ASAP, they'd need to do it in a hospital. Thankfully, it came out with no issues. My doctor recommended Kyleena bc it's smaller but I'm not sure I'm keen on another IUD.”

Anne · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 4, 2020

For Birth Control: “I got the Paragard on March 2020, I was in pain for a good 3 days. The cramps were horrible and I was on my period for a week. It did worked for birth control though, that’s the only positive thing I can say. After my period seem to end after a week I was spotting for the longest time then I started my period again. I seriously was on my period or spotting forever. I got my period twice in May. Now it’s been almost 3 months, and I couldn’t take it anymore so I got it removed. I would not recommend at all.”

T · Taken for less than 1 month June 3, 2020

For Birth Control: “I just had the paragard inserted a few days ago. I had terrible experiences with hormonal birth control (the pill and implant). The insertion did hurt a lot and I cramped/spotted after. I went home, wrapped myself in a heated blanket, and woke up feeling much better the next day. So far so good, just wanted to share my experience in case anyone was scared of the insertion process.”

Bogey June 2, 2020

For Birth Control: “I got the paragard about a month ago. Just started this month period I don't feel any pain or anything you know just the normal you know pressure from bleeding but I mean honestly I don't recognize a difference but I do know that birth control affects everyone differently. I had the hormonal IUD taken out because I noticed some weight gain and I didn't like how it made me feel anxious and irritated. I am on some prescriptions for anxiety and depression and sleep but I didn't like how that one made me feel like definitely notice a difference with this one my medications are working like they normally would and I'm not agitated at don't have weight gain I've actually lost some weight. I love this and it's not bad. It's not painful. And the bleeding isn't bad either it's pretty normal for me”

Sea · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 28, 2020

For Birth Control: “I had the copper IUD 9 months. Overall its a good form of birth control. However I got it removed because I think it led to horrible periods, not only more blood but also longer periods, up to 10 days, PMS depression and hormone related conditions. My hair also started falling out after 7 months, may be due to anemia caused by blood loss. I think it's not wise to leave it in too long.”

HeatherHal · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 25, 2020

For Birth Control: “I love this birth control so much. I've had it almost 11 months now and cant say enough good things about it. No weight gain, regular periods, moods are normal and i feel great and pregnancy free for almost 11 months now!”

Liana May 5, 2020

For Birth Control: “This is my second time having the Paragard IUD inserted. During the first insertion, I wound up having a terrible vasovagal attack. If you are not quite sure what that is: When your vagal nerve is triggered you can have an attack that causes extreme symptoms (sweating, shakes, diarrhea, vomiting, tunnel vision, drop in blood pressure etc.) I just had my second one inserted yesterday (I cannot handle hormones; I turn into a crazy person), and I requested a local anesthetic because of my first insertion horror story. THIS WAS THE BEST DECISION I COULD HAVE EVER MADE! The insertion was absolutely painless. I felt the first shot of the local anesthetic; the doctor allowed for a few minutes for it to kick in, then administered the other four shots--did not feel a thing! I highly recommend that if you are scared of the pain, or if you have syncope, or vasovagal attacks to, without question, request a local anesthetic.”

Thalia Mcfahart · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 5, 2020

For Birth Control: “My cycle started 5 days early... first few days were very light, minimal cramping and pretty bearable. Day 4 (which I’m on right now) is HEAVY from the minute I woke up a super plus tampon lasted about 1 hour and hour and a half if I was lucky. I’m curious to see how this all plays out seeing as I had really heavy periods as a teenager and that went away into adulthood. Now it’s bringing me flashbacks into high school. Within a 14 hour period of time I think I used 8-10 super plus tampons! I’m willing to give it a few more months to see if this calm down. Hoping for the best because hormones don’t mix well with me.”

KCoop · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 3, 2020

For Birth Control: “I got my paraguard out after 9 years of having it in. I was experiencing copper toxicity and wonky hormonal shifts. Symptoms: ovarian cysts (very expensive appointment to confirm through sonogram), cystic acne, liver started to struggle (vitamin blood test proof), easily got sick, body pains, dizziness, panic attack, trouble sleeping, DAILY diarrhea (not even docs or my mom could figure this out). After dramatically changing my diet to cater to reducing cysts and cystic acne, no dice. I was still in incurable pain at random (ibuprofen, magnesium, cbd, hot pad all did not work). It wasn't until I shared my story online that I found the cause was my IUD! Total spent over this issue is likely anywhere between $2K-5K total. I just want awareness spread more than anything.”

More about ParaGard (copper topical)

Professional resources