User Reviews for ParaGard

Birth Control
6.1

Summary of ParaGard reviews 6.2 753 reviews

Reviews for ParaGard

For Birth Control "I have never had children. Prior to the Paragard, I had the Skyla IUD, which did not work for me. I have had the Paragard for two months and am enjoying it! I make sure to take my multivitamins with iron to prevent anemia. My periods were slightly heavier, which were totally manageable with the help of OB tampons. I had heavy bleeding for 4 days and 2 days of barely existent bleeding ( I had 10 days of bleeding with the skyla, and 5-6 days is the normal duration of my period). I have not had any pain with this IUD other than right after the insertion. I love not feeling hormonal changes. I also did not feel breast tenderness prior to my period (?not sure if it's related). It's a good decision, I think! I also have not gained any weight, and actually lost 2 lbs. No bloating either!"

shoobydoop728 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2018

For Birth Control "I had an IUD placed back in 2009 since I knew I did not want to get pregnant until I had finished college and was married. Well, life happened and I end up losing my brother early in life and going through an extended grieving period. I am now 36 and ready to make babies so I went to have the ParaGard removed and a piece of the IUD was missing when it was taken out. The removal was not painful so I am thinking that it broke some time ago and I didn't know. I have been dealing with fatigue, anxiety and depression and am now wondering it if was related to the copper all along. I have had two trans-vaginal ultra sounds, an X-ray and a hysteroscope performed with non results. That little piece of plastic is still embedded in my body and I am not sure what it will take at this point to get it out. DO NOT GET THIS IUD if you want to have children and/or avoid future surgery."

WorriedParaGardSick (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 4, 2018

For Birth Control "I had an IUD for 6 years. My periods became very heavy and long. The IUD moved causing it to go to a ten day period. My Dr then attempted to remove it and found that an arm had broken off somewhere at some point. They are now charging me for the surgery to find it. I do NOT recommend this product."

Jennifer October 1, 2018

For Birth Control "A positive review! I have never had a child. I was on BCPs for 20 years and intended to get the Mirena implant thinking the transition would be easier even though I was interested in being completely hormone free. I missed a pill before I went in for the procedure and was told I either had to wait, or I could get Paragard because it functions as emergency contraception. I went for it and I have been completely satisfied with Paragard. I bled minimally at the time of insertion, once a day later, and since then it has been business as usual. I have very minor monthly cramping just like I did before I took BCPs. I still only shed for 3 days and don't even need menstrual products at night. In fact, I had weird spotting for years on the pills and that has entirely disappeared since getting this IUD a year and a half ago. I have never had many concerns with my reproductive health so maybe these things make me a better candidate but I hope this helps someone with their decision."

Auggie (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 30, 2018

For Birth Control "I been on paragard for 3 months now and it’s been great so far! My periods are always on time they last about 5 - 7 days no more then that and I have no cramps nor mood swings . No depression the only thing I have notice is I get a pimple here and there with this birth control but nothing major. And since I do bleed a lot during my period I take iron pills while I’m on my periods ( just a word of advice )"

Lovemybabies (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 30, 2018

For Birth Control "I have used ParaGard for 3 years now and I really enjoy my life without hormones in my birth control. I wish I knew to take some painkillers before I installed Paragard as it would've helped with the cramps. Pros: -You never have to remember to take your birth control or worry about missing your pill. -Your period is regulated due to the fact you're not consuming additional hormones. -It's extremely effective. -You don't get any of those hormone-induced side effects; Such is the case when you use other hormonal birth control methods. -You don't have to worry about replacing it for 10-12 years. -You can start having children as soon as it is removed. Cons: -Heavy cramping for the first several months. (I had heavy cramps for about 6 months.) -Discomfort during sex. (The discomfort vanished after a few months) -Does not protect against STDs, but then again, a lot of other methods don't."

Mama September 28, 2018

For Birth Control "Paraguard has given myself and other women copper poisoning and the health care system did not care. From the research I have done online, the methods used to test if paraguard causes copper toxicity are not accurate. Heavy metals are stored in tissues of my organs, not in my bloodstream. Yet, from what I read, the only available studies on copper toxicity of IUD’s tested copper levels in the subjects’ blood I am experiencing feelings of just wanting these products to be adequately researched and tested! (My comment can only include my own experiences)"

Guinea September 28, 2018

For Birth Control "I am 34yrs old. I'm actually on my last 6 months of the 10 years you can use it for. I will not recommend this to you if you not a person that enjoy going to the doctor every 2 months for BV, acne, gain weight, mix emotions, bad cramps, heavy bleeding, unexpected bleeding, if you very fertile (go ahead). I am getting it taken out and getting my tubes tied"

Frfr September 26, 2018

For Birth Control "I know we all have individual experiences with Paragard and I’m sorry for those women that it did not worked for you. As we all looked for what we think is the best for our body. I was nervous when I finally had it inserted and had heavy period for the first 4-6 months that it got my mom scared. To the point she begged me to have it removed. But I stood my ground and gave it the benefit of the doubt that this is the right contraceptive for me. And it is the right one! I have it for 8 years now and of course I have one day of heavy cramps for a day or two every cycle. But immodium believed me actually helped big time! I will finally be removing it next year as we are going to try for another baby. I will still get Paragard after I gave birth again."

Angel September 25, 2018

For Birth Control "I've had the Paragard in for just over 3 months and it's been a nightmare the entire time. At first, I had serious cramping issues, which is to be somewhat expected. But then it went downhill fast. My first period was the longest, heaviest period I've ever had and I had serious period issues before. This was so much worse. Then came the yeast infection, which when treated resulted in BV. Then, even after taking a probiotic while treating the BV, another yeast infection...then another round of BV. This has been going on for two months now. On top of that, I've had brown discharge the entire time. The gyno said that was normal for the first month or so, but I've had it for 3 months. It's gross, especially combined with the other issues. Needless to say, sex has not been happening so I guess it's been a really effective method of birth control. I'm finally getting it removed and replaced with Mirena (which I didn't have a problem with) next week."

Roxyrox (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 21, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve had it for about 3 months now and got it because hormonal birth control did not work for me. It made me extremely moody and depressed. I would gain 10-20 pounds and was constantly hungry. Finally decided to try this even though I was skeptical about the poor reviews. My period lasts about a week with heavier periods and definitely more cramps than I had but nothing unbearable. In my opinion no birth control is going to have no side effects so it is worth it to me. I do have slightly more acne than normal but I think it’s due to the lack of hormones my body is used to from pills. It’s been the best birth control for my body so far!"

T (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 20, 2018

For Birth Control "I got my first Paragard about 14 months ago. It was an easy choice because of reliability and the lack of hormones. I have been getting very severe cramps for the past 18 years of having a period, the cramping during the dilation of my cervix was not more severe than that although it did make me briefly weak. It evened out fairly quickly and I have honestly felt less severe cramps since I have been on it. The bleeding is a little heavier but not markedly so. I use a Diva Cup when I am on my period and last month accidentally didn't break the suction when I was removing it and this dislodged my Paragard so it had to be removed and I had a new one inserted today. For the new insertion, the cramping did not last as long as the first time(I was able to head back into work within an hour)."

Elle (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 20, 2018

For Birth Control "I got paragard a couple months ago. One week later after getting it I broke out in hives and it wouldn't go away. I did some research on the internet and I read of others having hives after getting paragard and once removed it went away. I read this about mirena iud also. 2 totally different iuds! I went to my dr that put it in, and he told me that he never heard of hives resulting from any iud. Anyway the dr didn't want to remove it and told me to go to my primary doctor for the hives. I made him remove it then I went to my primary. My primary told me that I am getting hives because its a foreign object in my body and my body was fighting it. No less than 24 hrs after having it taken out my hives started to go away and then in 2 days totally gone! I believe that because further research lead me to read people getting hives after getting breast implants too! I believe my primary , that my body was fighting it since its a foreign object."

myexperience September 19, 2018

For Birth Control "The first 2 years with ParaGard were good. I did experience insanely heavy periods (Bleeding out of super tampon and pad within 2 hours). I was able to loose weight and loved the idea of non-hormonal birth control. Fast-forward to year 2 - 2.5 with the ParaGard and would not wish any of the symptoms I experienced on anyone else. I developed cystic acne (something I NEVER had, even as a teen) which left me still to this day with scaring on my chin. It increased dark hairs and spotting on my chin/lip area. I also will have to blame the IUD on some incontinence issues, that were immediately resolved when I had removed the IUD. "

JayDee (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 14, 2018

For Birth Control "Let me say this: if you can do hormones, lucky you! I tried the pill a couple years back and ended up in the ER passing out because of the migraines they’d cause. So not worth it... then I found out I can’t do hormones:( So Para Guard was basically the only option I had! And so far I’m not regretting it!"

Allie( continued) September 12, 2018

For Birth Control "Just got it inserted this morning. Was honestly terrified because of all the reviews and doctors telling me it’ll hurt like anything to get it in as well as the cramps afterwards. The truth as of today: Insertion took about 10 mins. One pinch and 1 cramp due to the ‘sound’ measuring the length of my uterus+ Another pinch and cramp when the IUD was inserted. That’s it! Maybe it was because I expected a lot of pain... maybe it was because I had 800 mg of Ibuprofen 1,5 hrs beforehand. Also I’ve had very strong contractions ending in a miscarriage 3 months ago at 14 weeks pregnant... so I’ve known so much worse pain! 5 mins later.... left the doctors office with a mild cramp not stronger than when you need to take a poo lol. 5 hours in and I’ve already eaten, drunk and worked out with 0 discomfort."

Allie September 12, 2018

For Birth Control "Horrible gained lots of weight and developed thyroid problems. I unable to lose any weight and looked pregnant all the time."

123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2018

For Birth Control "I have gotten pregnant not once but twice using the Paragard. The only reason I even gave it a three is because it kept me not pregnant for about 4 years the first time and 1 year 3 months the second time. The insertion is uncomfortable but not extremely painful and only lasts about 30 seconds anyways. Periods will be heavier and maybe more cramping than hormonal birth control but really not that bad and it was great not having extra hormones in my body. If it kept me not pregnant I would probably be giving it a 9 or 10 if that tells you anything! But it failed for me.... TWICE!!!"

Bonnie September 8, 2018

For Birth Control "I'm 24. In the 2 years of having the copper IUD I developed horrible lower back pain resembling sciatica. I went from being 125lbs to 185lbs despite regular exercise. Before I always lost weight with no effort. My stomach bloated up, looked 7 mo pregnant all the time. I was fatigued and suddenly problems with frequent vaginal infections. I was only 22 and I felt like an old woman. I had it removed, felt instant relief. Overnight the bloat was gone, "sciatica" gone. No more aches and pains. Weight has melted off. I'm looking and feeling like my normal self. Doctors told me my symptoms weren't possible side effects from the paraGard. Copper resembles an estrogen in the body, an excess leads to weight problems. The IUD by design causes inflammation in the uterus, leading to high cortisol and suppressed immune system. Excess copper doesn't show up on blood work, it is stored in the tissues. Tissue analysis showed that I had toxic levels of copper."

Tala September 6, 2018

For Birth Control "I have had ParaGard for almost a month now and so far I’m in love! The insertion was definitely painful. Not pleasant at all. I had pretty bad cramping the day of and the following days, Advil was my best friend. After like a week of cramps and bleeding, it began to get better. After two weeks, the cramps stopped and bleeding stopped. I don’t feel it, my partner doesn’t feel it! It’s amazing!"

Jess (taken for less than 1 month) September 4, 2018

For Birth Control "I only gave the Paragard two stars because I did not get pregnant while I had it. However, the experiencen from the insertion to removal was a pure nightmare. Insertion was extremely painful (I feel like I was not fairly warned for the amount of pain I would experience). For the days following I experience horrible cramps and heavy bleeding. The first few months I was always crampy and my period lasted for 9 days. The first few days of each period were a nightmare. I would soak through a super tampon in under an hour. At my follow up appointment my gyno assured me my body would adjust and it was in place. I waited for my body to adjust for two years. These two years were filled with cramps that left me on the couch for days, no over the counter pain medicine offered any relief. I had constant pressure on my uterus as well. Each period I passed blood clots the size of golf balls. I finally had the IUD removed and am not lying when I say I felt instant relief."

Angie235 September 2, 2018

For Birth Control "I had Paragard for 2+ yrs. So for 2+ years, I had horrible, I-can't-move-level cramps, periods that lasted about 10 days, and repeated yeast infections. I also had a lot of pain with sex. I went to the doctor constantly to be tested for various problems, and my tests always came back normal (except for the yeast infections). My doctor assured me that the IUD was fine. I tried all kinds of other cures, but my symptoms wouldn't go away. Finally I got fed up and went to a new doctor. She immediately suggested I get rid of the IUD. And I'm so thankful I did! I switched back to the pill, and all my symptoms have gone away. My periods last ~3 days, I rarely have cramps (mostly minor when I do), I haven't had another yeast infection, and the pain with sex has decreased. Despite what my 1st doctor said, I am sure that my IUD was the culprit. The differences are night and day since I got rid of it. It was nice to not worry about pregnancy, but in the end the side effects were not worth it."

mimi101 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 1, 2018

For Birth Control "Painful intercourse from friction from string. It was an extremely painful insertion. I had fatigue, always “feel” something inside me, mood swings and weight gain."

Jhan (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 29, 2018

For Birth Control "It’s almost a week ago that I got the Paragard. I decided to switch to Paragard from hormonal birth control pills cause hormones made me gain weight. I also couldn’t tolerate the hormones anymore cause I was depressed, my nipples hurt & I had vaginal dryness. The insertion was very painful, because my cervix was too small. My GP was also inexperienced. During the insertion I felt massive cramps & I also started to bleed which lasted for 4 days. I took 2 Naproxen hours prior to the insertion. After 10 years of feeling like a Zombie on birth control pills I finally feel myself again. I’ve lost a little bit weight, especially around my thighs, my nipples don’t hurt & I feel less depressed. I also don't have massive food cravings like I did on the hormonal contraceptives. My acne is back unfortunately, but this is manageable with acne skincare products. I also suffer from vaginal discharge with little bit of blood, but in time I think this will go away. I think my body needs time to adjust."

Bella August 28, 2018

For Birth Control "I had this IUD inserted two and a half years ago. At first I had mild cramping, heavy periods but I got used to that. Constant copious discharge was inconvenient but I wore panty shields every day but after a while just found myself constantly ‘coping’ with the symptoms. I started to gain weight no matter what I did still not suspecting the IUD until I started thinking back to when I began to have unexplained weight gain. I had it removed 5 days ago and I’ve lost 4 lbs no longer feel bloated all over and my blood pressure is now back to normal instead of the unusually high reading on paragard. NEVER AGAIN! For those of you who think we are being mean for posting a negative review, it’s not meant to be harmful but helpful to other people suffering the same way. Everyone is different just sharing my experience so other people are aware as I wasn’t for 2 & 1/2 years"

Arimachick August 27, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...