User Reviews for ParaGard

Not Listed / Other

2 reviews
Summary of ParaGard reviews 6.5 642 reviews

Reviews for ParaGard

For Birth Control "This is my second Pargard. The first one I got when I was 26 had it for about 4 years and I ended up getting pregnant. Yes it’s rare but it does happen. With my first ParaGard besides getting pregnant everything was going great. A few months after having a miscarriage I ended up getting another ParaGard. I have had the worst period and cramps with my second one. I’m also spotting all month long. It’s like I always have my period now . Sex is now painful and it killed my sex drive . After 3 years with my second Paragard I have to stay next month I will be getting it removed . Not sure what I will go on next but I will not try another IUD. With all this being said everyone’s body is different. Only you will know if something is wrong or what will be good for you."

Tiff (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 13, 2018

For Birth Control "I did not get pregnant, so the paraguard was effective. However, I did suffer many side effects: Hair loss Bloating, even when I didn't eat. Heart palpitations Intense anxieties, and depression Migraines Nausea, and vomiting Fatigue, all the time Thirsty (dry mouth) Yeast infections Pain during sex (my man would get poked or scratched by it) Spotting either randomly, or after sex Super super light periods Joint pains (sciatica, my neck, wrists, and knees) Red dots on my face which was never there before placement of iud. Loss of appetite Vagina smells like copper (pennies) I lost my sense of taste. Loss of interest in sex, literally. I couldn't feel anything down there. It was like my clitoris nerve was murdered. I was never wanting to have sex, So I would never initiate it. I would get annoyed or stressed when boyfriend wanted to have sex. Copper toxicity is real!"

Sick April 11, 2018

For Birth Control "I had the Paragard inserted almost 5 months postpartum after being on the pill for a few months and experiencing negative hormonal side effects. I read horror stories about the insertion and was completely terrified-DON’T freak out. It did not give me the “worst cramps of my life” or anything remotely close. Just breathe through it and get a good doctor who has done these often and it’s a breeze. I had minor cramps the first day and even less the following day, nothing super noticeable. I spotted for about four days afterwards and then was done! So far, I love this IUD. I’ll update after I get my first period (who knows when that will happen though as I am currently nursing)."

MorganJ47 (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2018

For Birth Control "Got it right after I had my son (2 months after) and immediately regretted it Terrible cramping Painful periods EXCESSIVE BLEEEDING I'd fill a super tampon and leak through to fill a liner within an hour Then the hormonal changes started happening Mood swings Migraines depression Anxiety Panic attacks Fatigued Anemic So FATIGUED !!"

Rodriguez (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 4, 2018

For Birth Control "I had Paragard inserted in June of 2017. Nearly a month later I was in the urgent care for what I knew was BV. The only other time I had BV was probably 10 years prior, as a college student. Anyway, I went on to have recurring episodes of BV (having a total of 5 from July 2017 to March 2018), roughly every other month. I was prescribed the pill for the 1st episode. (worked fine). All the other times, I was given the gel. It worked, but not for long, as the BV always came back. This last time (March 2018) I developed a yeast infection after using the gel. After my provider refused to remove the IUD, I removed it. No pain, and it was fully intact. I feel so much better already, and will probably not have BV again."

dhp (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 3, 2018

For Birth Control "Paraguard overall did work for me what it is suppose to do. I experienced my cycle for 2 weeks from the time that I have had it inserted which was in 2014. And when my before my cycle started I experienced bad cramps and soreness. And a little moody because of this all. Tolerable because I kept it in for so long. I feel as though I'd be much better off with out the heaviness of flow and moody cramping.I went in for regular check ups and concerned check ups but was told every time the symptoms are normal and that I needed to decide to keep or not. When I went to get it removed I thought it very odd the doctor telling me that new studies show that the one that I currently have in is good for two extended years that we told you then before.(total of 12 years, foreign copper object inside you)It almost seemed as if they want you to keep the IUD in. And I was convinced every appointment before getting it removed. And I it was a feeling of relief after removing."

Anonymous April 2, 2018

For Birth Control "I used paragard after my second child because I didn’t want more children. This was a perfect contraceptive for me since I could use it long term. From a young age, I had heavy periods the first couple days of my cycle and my period lasted up to 7 days. I suffered from cramps since I started menstruating at the age of 11. Cramps the first two days were torture. Initially it was back pain then it changed to cramps. The IUD cut my period to 3-4 days and I didn’t get cramps. It was painful during sex for the first three years. I had it removed on my eleventh year. I haven’t notice major issues during or after using Paragard. Only you know your body and can make the best decision for you."

Ime (taken for 10 years or more) April 1, 2018

For Birth Control "The IUD perforated my uterus. It was discovered at my two week string check. The IUD h tradaveled and imbedded in scar tissue between my left ovary and fallopian tube. I fear that I may never be able to conceive again. I experienced quite a bit of post partum depression as a result. I had the IUD surgically removed roughly one month after it was discovered out of place. Interestingly I knew something wasn’t right shortly after it was put in because l I couldn’t sleep, had severe anxiety w/red blotches on my chest and face from heightened anxiety. I had a number of other symptoms, such as trouble fully connecting with new baby, which hadn’t been an issue early on. It was over a year ago and I'm still having ultrasounds to check for fluid in my uterus which continued to expand for about 6-7 months after it was removed. In summary, it was a big mistake and I’m still paying for it due to excessive medical bills for therapy, psych, ultrasounds, surgical costs, etc..."

Maria March 31, 2018

For Birth Control "I got ParaGard inserted near the end of December 2017. I decided to go hormone free after bad experiences with the mini pill and the combo pill relating to YIs and BV. The insertion was fast. I've never had my cervix dilated before, so it was a pretty intense few seconds. Mild cramping for a week or two after. When I got to my first period, the cramps sucked. I bought my first heating pad and my significant other listened to me use controlled breathing through the waves of pain. My second month was equally brutal. I almost threw up from the cramps and spent a full day in bed and was bleeding through regular tampons every half hour. BUT the third month was normal. One heavy day, a few medium days and one or two light spotting days. And the cramps were tolerable and manageable. No BV, No YIs, No babies. I know everyone has their own experience, but don't let the negative reviews scare you away. If you can grit your teeth through the first few months, it's totally worth it, in my humble opinion."

Anonymous March 30, 2018

For Birth Control "I got my IUD removed today and a piece of it broke of and is still in my uterus. It is apparently not very uncommon. I do not recommend this birth control."

Kcrose (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 30, 2018

For Birth Control "I got paragard put in after very soon after I delivered my first baby. I cannot comment on cramps and heavy periods because mine were very heavy to begin with so there was absolutely no difference to me. I have had it about a year and a half and I have had no problems at all. Putting it in wasn't the best feeling, but after childbirth it was nothing. I do not have acne problems like some other users here, but I couldn't get any other form of BC because every single pill gets me extremely nauseous. I have tried different doctors, different pills, milligrams, etc. Nothing worked so I gave up on birthcontrol until the IUD. The only side effect I reaaaally dislike is the fact that I have permanent discharge; got it checked out a few times thinking it might be a yeast infection but I was told its completely normal with an IUD. I got it done while I was on the government insurance, so thankfully I didn't pay a dime!"

ISH (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 28, 2018

For Birth Control "Constant pain during sex, horrible periods, cramps even when I'm not on my period, and lower back pain."

Mermaid (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 28, 2018

For Birth Control "I have a positive experience to show . To be honest I was terrified after all the horror reviews I read but I wanted to give it a try as it's non hormonal . So I tried the IUD paragard . The insertion wasn’t bad for I took 800 mg of Tylenol . I really advise all who decide to get one is take it an hour before . The process was so fast it was more like a Pap smear . I had light spotting for the rest of the day and was good to go. In my case I had neither the cramps or heavy bleeding, my periods were the same the five days and I had my normal cramps the first day. So to all out there having doubts give it a try . This is the best decision for birth control I made . My periods are only once a month on schedule, it’s non hormonal, the Hubby doesn’t feel the strings, my sex drive is back (me and Hubby thinks this is the best part ) and it’s good for ten years . I wish I had heard about this earlier."

Marie 101 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 28, 2018

For Birth Control "This copper IUD caused so many problems to my physical and emotional state. It took me far to long to realize this was the root cause to all my problems. I thought I was being smart and helpful to my body by going horomone free and picking this IUD. Big mistake. Please look into copper toxicity before getting this. Read the symptoms and if you do start feeling like any of them apply to you then GET IT OUT!!"

Katie (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 27, 2018

For Birth Control "I got a Paraguard IUD in days later I experienced tight and dry skin. Long story short it progressed to hives and blisters on MY FACE. After 27 years I have always had CLEAR skin so I know its the IUD. I am also a vegan so it can't be my diet. I did learn that an excess of copper in the body produces a zinc deficiency. A zinc deficiency results in *drum roll* dry and peeling skin, eczema, xerosis, etc. All which are symptoms I am having. It can also be due to a copper toxicity. I bought zinc supplements and have been popping them like candy until I get this thing out of me. I have been applying Eucerin and castor oil and only washing my face with cold water 1x every couple of days. These things HELP but the problem persists. Doctors should do allergy tests BEFORE inserting this in someone. Its been in for about a month and a few days."

Maddie454 March 25, 2018

For Birth Control "Having this was the worst experience of my entire life. I was told that my side effects would go away and they never did. I ended up in the hospital with copper toxicity. After feeling like a crazy person and not myself at all, I found out it was my IUD. Don't get this as you will risk getting sick or possibly being infertile. Was not worth my time."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 20, 2018

For Birth Control "My IUD moved two years after insertion, when it moved it pulled one of the strings into my uterus and introduced bacteria causing PID. They don't know how long I had PID before I ended up in hospital. Tests confirmed my PID was NOT caused by an STD. They removed the IUD and antibiotics cleared the infection but now I face the uncertain possibility of being infertile thanks to an IUD."

Lauren (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 18, 2018

For Birth Control "I originally got this birth control because it is hormone free and effective for 10 years. I am allergic to all hormonal methods of birth control due to an auto immune disorder. Initially the insertion was tolerable. I bled for 6 months straight afterwards. I now have 6 day medium periods and mild cramping. I still spot occasionally and ALWAYS bleed after sex. I also developed an odd odor down below that wreaks of old sweat. From time to time and I have had a yeast infections since the IUD was placed!! I was cured for 1 week in the 7 months I have had it. I have tried clotromizole, miconazole, fluconazole, tioconazole - every drug they have and the yeast infection WILL NOT LEAVE! I tolerate the yeast infection because I can still have sex without it being too painful. I would NOT recommend this birth control to anyone. Unless they enjoy near constant bleeding and yeast infections."

Lana (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 17, 2018

For Birth Control "Got it inserted May 2017 (2 months after 3rd c section) , I exclusively breastfeed (ebf) so my period doesn't come back for a while; when I got it inserted I felt like she pierced my uterus. I had a cramp during the insertion. I went home thinking it was ok. 2 hours later I felt I was actually birthing. I crawled around the floor, took so many Advil gels, hrs went by, nothing worked. I had to deal with this for 4 straight hours until it was finally easing. Dec 2017 got my first period, mild to heavy flow, 9 days. Third period Feb 2018 35ml of blood every 2 hrs, severe cramping, back pain, anemic and cold. 4th period ..."

Keijan March 16, 2018

For Birth Control "I got paragard after my third child. The non-hormonal IUD and not taking the pill was a huge plus in my eyes. I immediately felt bladder discomfort, I thought it was just because I had a child. The PERIODS. Don’t get me started on that. Lasting for two weeks. A year into it, I started developing horrible acne. Year 2, it became cystic. I just never felt like me. Always in a fog, horrible periods, my face was awful, severely depressed, having to go to the bathroom ALL the time, and my hair thinned out. I’m Italian, that just doesn’t happen on it’s own. After 9 years of constantly feeling it, it was time to remove it. I felt euphoric upon removal. I didn’t have to go to the bathroom every hour, and my mood swings stopped. It’s only the beginning, but I can’t wait to get back to normal! Most of these people saying they love it, are a couple of months in. You don’t just get over 1,000 women saying the same thing after getting paragard. I feel like I have my brain back now."

Sunspear84 March 15, 2018

For Birth Control "I decided on the copper IUD after much deliberation and I'm constantly so happy I did. I started having sex in 2012, and we continued using condoms until I decided to get an IUD in 2014. The insertion process was very quick, although the cramps afterward were pretty debilitating until the ibuprofen kicked in. After that the only side effects I experienced were heavier periods and slightly worse PMS. My periods have always been very irregular so I can't speak to that, but I do think that they're slightly longer than average now (between 5 -10 days) and occasionally happen more frequently. Obviously this works very differently for everyone, but I really cannot recommend this kind of long lasting birth control enough, especially in the ever changing political climate."

orangetoday March 9, 2018

For Birth Control "I had paragard for 3.5 years. My periods were heavy painful and sometimes 10 days. At the 3.5 year mark, the doctor checked and said my paragard was in ‘perfectly’. Only to call me two days later to tell me I’m pregnant. They are baffled, the whole practice was looking at me like I was a spectacle. The doctor immediately took it out which felt like he ripped it out, awaiting appointment to find out status of 4 week pregnancy."

Katie (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 7, 2018

For Birth Control "I got paragard 6 weeks post-partem of a c section. I was freaked out a bit, but knew I needed to be on some kind of birth control as my insurance was going to expire and I didn't want to get pregnant w/o health insurance. It has been 3 months and the only side effect I'm having is extremely horrible cramps and longer than my normal 3 day periods, they are now 7-9 days. I never had cramps before in my life so to feel them now... THEY HURT. Other than the cramps it is doing it's job."

naynay (taken for 10 years or more) March 7, 2018

For Birth Control "I just got the paragard removed after 3 years. Periods were heavy at first but levelled out eventually. Can't really say how effective it is since we also use the pull out method, but still wanted that extra back up. My reason for removal was the last few months if we had sex 2 weeks prior to my period I would bleed heavily and which then it ruins the mood completely. And it's 50/50 if I'll continue bleeding for a few days or a week. Didn't notice any real side effects other than strange feeling cramps,. But I'll assume that's with any IUD since you're body is always trying to reject it. I just got the Mirena which I wanted to avoid but the possibility of bleeding during sex ruines it for him.."

Hez (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 1, 2018

For Birth Control "I respect all of the stories shared here and have no doubt that some women have issues with it but I’ve had paragard three times and always go back to it. Hormonal birth control turns me into a fruit loop of emotions and causes me to gain weight while killing my libido. Paragard just gives me a few extra days of bleeding. I’d say my period is 5-7 days vs 3-4 like it used to be. If you’re prone to anemia you will most likely not respond well to it. If copper toxicity is a concern then take a methylated folate vitamin. All birth controls have pros and cons. You ultimately have to find one with pros and cons you can tolerate. A lot of women here are complaining of side effects that occur when you stop using hormonal birth control (PCOS, acne, moods etc can start when you change what you’re taking.) I also believe that the experience each woman has also depends on how good the provider is who placed it. For me it’s the best option I have found, but not perfect."

Alaskadiva (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 1, 2018