User Reviews for ParaGard

5.8

Summary of ParaGard reviews 5.8 944 reviews

Reviews for ParaGard

Des · Taken for less than 1 month August 14, 2019

For Birth Control "I just recently got Paragard inserted after getting the Lilletta removed. The Lilletta made me bleed non stop an as soon as I got the Paragard inserted, the bleeding stoped and I haven't been bleeding anymore."

Ginge August 13, 2019

For Birth Control "The insertion of Paragard was not painful at all. I was expecting it to be very painful based on the online comments but it felt like a regular Pap smear. I was a bit nauseous afterward but it went away. It’s great “forget about it” birth control. It’s in, I can have sex, and that’s it. My partner can’t feel it at all. Zero added discomfort during sex. It’s not hormonal, so I have zero of those types of side effects. Zero weight gain, mood swings, cravings. Only 8/10 because it’s not perfect! There are some side effects that are bearable for me, such as extremely heavy period, longer lasting period, and slightly worse cramps. My period now lasts 7-8 days instead of 4. On one of the days I do usually have bad cramps but I’m able to manage them with ibuprofen. As far as the heavy bleeding, I manage it with a Diva cup!!! So much easier than going through tampons. One of my friends uses the Flex Disc with her ParaGard and that manages the bleeding better as well."

Mia · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 12, 2019

For Birth Control "Hormonal birth control wreaks havoc on my body. I had the Paragard inserted March 2018. Insertion was extremely painful and I continued having cramps the rest of the day. My first period and the next 5-6 months were excruciating. Even though I’m in my mid 30s, I’ve never had cramps. Before Paragard my period was typically 3-4 days. With the Paragard my period was painful with a pain radiating from my uterus down to my toe. I used several tampons and would bleed through pads with wings ruining clothes and sheets. I had it removed about 10 days ago and since then I’ve lost weight, I’m less irritable, have decreased anxiety, feel less bloated and have more energy. My only issue now is that I get a headache everyday around 2pm."

Catloveredm · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 10, 2019

For Birth Control "So I got paragard when I was 18. The first six months were great. It’s a really effective method of birth control. Insertion gave me some cramps but it was worth it. After six months I got bacterial vaginosis. It didn’t seem super serious so I got it treated and didn’t think about it. Then it happened again. And again. And again. Five years into it I was getting BV at least twice a month. I ended up in the ER with abdominal pain... I knew something had to change. I finally got it taken out and so far (2 months) my BV issues are over.... doctors don’t tell you about this side effect. It only gets worse."

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 7, 2019

For Birth Control "Don’t do it. I’m 20 years old & was on the pill for 5 years. I got the Paraguard IUD because I’m not ready for any babies, and I liked the idea of hormone free (I have bipolar disorder & hormones seemed to make my mood episodes worse) but also not having to take a pill sounded great. I got it in January 2019. The insertion process HURT & then not only were my periods HELLA irregular (which I get is normal for the first few months) but when I say I bled sis. I was bleeding out every month. I mean I would bleed through a super plus tampon, my panty liner, and my underwear INTO MY PANTS in 45 minutes. Yeah. FORTY FIVE !!!!!!!!! The cramping ???? I wanted to die. Like throw myself into a volcano and let the lava burn away the pain. I guess the pros are I didn’t get pregnant (yay) but I got it removed today & I'm now trying the Mirena (hormonal IUD, insertion for this one was WAY less painful). So ladies, if I were you personally I would stay far away from this one."

Horrified mom · Taken for less than 1 month August 2, 2019

For Birth Control "I had the Paragard IUD in for 16 days, never once used it with the husband. I was having some pelvic pain and had to go in for an emergency check up. I was given the most painful vaginal ultrasound that made me cry. Then I got my OBGYN to check which was also painful with her using various tools to dig inside. She then tells me it’s missing! So I was sent to a different hospital down the street to get an X-ray done. I waited for like 3-4 hours and got a call that I had to have emergency surgery the next day. So I was told the surgery would be 30 minutes but it ended up being 6 hours because it got wedged between my liver and gall bladder."

Julia August 2, 2019

For Birth Control "I got the ParaGard IUD in the beginning of January 2019 because of side effects from the pill. The insertion process is very painful. It causes your periods and cramps to be way worse than they have ever been. I checked my strings once a month after my period like I was told. At the end of February 2019 after checking it I noticed I felt hard plastic. I made an appointment to get it checked. My IUD was starting to expel out of me. I got my second one inserted the end of February 2019. The second one I checked frequently. I should’ve been even a little more worried because 6 months later the same exact thing happened. I ended up having to get it removed AGAIN. She said it may have expelled for me because I have a “tilted uterus” meaning it’s tilted towards my back and because I haven’t had any children. I do not recommend it if you haven’t had children and know you have a tilted uterus like me."

Anonymous July 29, 2019

For Birth Control "HORRIBLE experience with paraguard. Heavy periods which I expected, but they were consistent & on time. I noticed right away I felt light headed. the 4th month, I noticed I was forgetting things, I became very dizzy & feeling like my head was constantly fuzzy. Then came the migraines. I could hardly function by month 9. I thought I was going to pass out a majority of the days. One day at work I had a complete panic attack, my heart rate went sky high & I couldn't catch my breath. My hands went numb. I have had it out after about a month, still have some headaches & now have these little eye floaters that I never noticed until I had it removed. I am highly convinced this IUD caused me to have all of these problems as I have never had them before. The migraines & majority of brain fog has gone away but I am still living with symptoms a month later. I am get tested to see if I have copper toxicity still after having it out and I still do not feel completely normal and back to myself."

Lu July 26, 2019

For Birth Control "Honestly my body did not respond well to it. Even though it’s not suppose to affect your moods, it affected mine. 99% of the time I couldn’t explain why I was feeling the way I did or why I just felt like I was in a cloud or something. Before I got the Paragard I never experienced what I was going through. I got it removed a couple of days ago and I’m hoping that everything goes back to normal soon. Also my periods were super heavy and the cramps were bad, I never felt nauseous when I was going to get on my period until I got the Paragard."

New user July 26, 2019

For Birth Control "This cannot be a full review of paragard because I just got it yesterday, but as soon as I got it done I thought that I needed to come online to share my insertion experience because I was TERRIFIED to get it done based on what I was reading online. I know everyone has a different experience but for me, insertion was not NEARLY as bad as I expected based on what I'd read. I have given birth before to one child, and my doctor offered an injection "blocker" which I'm sure helped - I got it placed in one area (she said they could do up to three injections). The pain was very bearable - I would say a 2 out of 10 at worst. Since then, I have had extremely minor cramping and barely there spotting. If you are concerned about pain, talk to your doctor but I was nothing short of relieved and felt obligated to put a different narrative out there online!"

Kate · Taken for less than 1 month July 26, 2019

For Birth Control "Terrible. Insertion was painful, in pain for 3 days for July Fourth weekend. After that I experienced strange pounding heart episodes. Decided I needed to get it removed ASAP. Keep in mind I was assured by my docs that this would not affect my heart at all. Day after removal I experienced heart palpitations, the next day they got way worse like unbearable. Went to the ER. I was experiencing PVCS or an irregular heartbeat. This lasted for about a week and eventually improved. I truly believe that this was caused by the IUD. Copper toxicity is a real thing and the removal of by your body feels terrible."

AW · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 26, 2019

For Birth Control "I gave this BC an alright rating largely because it did its job and I never once got pregnant. I got my ParaGard inserted February of 2016. The thing that I absolutely HATED about this BC was the periods. Before I started this BC my period would last 3-4 days tops, now my periods last 7-10 days and they are HEAVY. On the heaviest day I have to use Super Plus Tampons and I have to change it every hour and a half or else I will start leaking. I’ve never had any side effects though. My mental stability has remained the same, the only weight I gained was because of my own bad habits, not the IUD, my libido remained the same, The only reason I’m getting it removed and replaced with Skyla is because during my annual appointment, a sonogram showed that the IUD had shifted and it was much too low and was no longer able to perform its job as a BC. My doctor believes that since Skyla is smaller, I shouldn’t have any problems with it shifting. We shall see."

MDia93 July 25, 2019

For Birth Control "Had the Paragard put in just over a week ago and the side effects were SO severe that I had to beg to get it taken out only a week after. PLEASE do your own research on copper toxicity related to the insertion of the IUD. There is no information about this on the NHS websites but thousands of people have been affected by this. More research needs to be done on this contraceptive. Due to word length restrictions, I can only list my side effect symptoms: - anxiety and panic attacks - significant hair loss (2 bald patches a month before my wedding!!) - bloated stomach - zero energy - brain fog (felt like a zombie) - craved junk food (normally eat clean) - insomnia (usually sleep like a doormouse) I got it out a few days ago and am already feeling SO much better. Not 100% better but I’m seeing a huge improvement already. Trust your instincts over and above a medical professional telling you you shouldn’t have any symptoms from it."

Caro · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 25, 2019

For Birth Control "I’ve had the copper IUD for 10 months now, and have finally decided to have it removed. I wanted to love it, and it is convenient birth control, but my periods have been so intense that it’s just not worth it. Heavier bleeding is to be expected for the first 6 months or so, but I literally can barely leave the house during the first days of my period. Paraguard changes the uterine lining, and you can very much tell at period time! At 40, I never had issues with leaking for my entire menstruating life, but I feel like a teenager, having had to tie things around my waist while out and about, bleeding through at night, etc. I also have skin reactions when I eat high copper foods, as well as puffiness under my eyes. My periods have also become more unpredictable, and part of the reason it’s such good birth control is because I have my period for half of the month! (10-12 day periods with a short 23-day cycle)."

MM · Taken for 10 years or more July 25, 2019

For Birth Control "This device did prevent pregnancy for 10 years, but the side effects that accompany it are disastrous. Increased copper in my system caused severe anemia, dizziness, neurological symptoms, skin break outs, fatigue, anxiety and more. I would not recommend this for anyone, but it did prevent pregnancy. User beware of total body symptoms that come on after insertion and be prepared for years of detoxing after removal!"

Chez · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 24, 2019

For Birth Control "I’ve had the copper IUD for 2 years for a year now I’ve not been feeling well fatigued , weight gain, joint pain, back ache, struggling to walk far, insomnia, depression the list goes on . In April after a scan I was told it wasn’t in the correct place , I’ve had three doctors/ gynaecologist try with no success now waiting for an operation for removal . I now struggle to work I’m in the UK"

Cl · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 24, 2019

For Birth Control "Absolutely horrid! 8 month and extreme nausea, depression, anxiety, terrible unstoppable thoughts, dizzy, constant infections since insertion. The list goes one. If you value your mental health, run far from this product!!!"

Raychi822 · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 22, 2019

For Birth Control "Had it 4.75 years. It was 100% effective at preventing pregnancy - its only upshot. My broad ligament needed massage to accept the foreign object. Increased bleeding thru-out the month is no joke. I bled 7-10 days a month with IUD, very heavy. Could not go through the night! I spotted on ovulation and *every* time I had sex. It led to anemia. It makes your body double down on uterine lining - 2x as much blood to be shed each month. The symptoms of copper toxicity can be subtle! I could feel it in there all the time, like a sliver. 6 of the last 8 weeks before I had it removed, I had low back pain, 6/10, unable to bend my spine + extreme fatigue and was in such a depressed state. The pain only relented during my menstruation. It works by causing inflammation and disrupting your mineral balance. I would not recommend this form of bc for anyone who struggles with inflammation, autoimmunity, anemia, or post-partum depression."

Hi July 19, 2019

For Birth Control "The paragard is seriously heaven sent! I love my birth control for several reasons! 1.I NEVER have problems on it, my periods haven’t change, my bleeding isn’t heavier nor is my cramps worse. 2. Me & my husband have unprotected sex with just the paragard, we know it works amazingly! 3. It doesn’t have any hormones, so I’m not a crazy cow to everyone!"

AMP July 15, 2019

For Birth Control "It does prevent pregnancy, but I've had many problems with ParaGard. Ever since, my periods have been like night & day from what they were my entire life (I am 39 yrs old). I bleed 3 weeks a month & my cramps are much worse. Today I made an appointment to have it removed. I chose to look up some info in the hopes of finding that other's had gone through this & relief is on it's way. SO MANY other issues I have read here are also things I've been dealing with. I've had depression & anxiety, I've gained 60 lbs. I've experienced vaginal odor that I never had before. I'm in shock that so many others have had these symptoms. I just thought I was going to get my normal periods back after it's taken out in 2 weeks. Now I'm attributing other serious issues to the IUD and hope so badly that things go back to normal in all areas. NOT WORTH IT! DO NOT GET THIS IUD!"

Hailey July 15, 2019

For Birth Control "I first got Paragard inserted in April 2019 for $40 CDN (32USD) in Jamaica (I live in Jamaica atm). I had read before that the insertion was painful but I did not expect it to be that bad. (I took 600mg of Advil before the insertion as well). After the insertion (which hurt), I laid curled up in a ball on my boyfriend's lap for a good portion of the night because it hurt too much to move. I went to bed early that night after more Advil. The next day was very painful to move as well. By the third day, the pain was a lot better. After the insertion, I bleed a lot and had to wear a pad for 5 days. My period has gotten significantly heavier and longer since the IUD. They now last 8-9 days, however, the cramps are minimal. I make sure to take multivitamins with zinc so I do not get copper toxicity from the IUD. (Zinc reduces copper). Also, multivitamins with iron included are good because you will bleed for longer for 6 months time."

Informer July 13, 2019

For Birth Control " Remember to check your strings monthly, weekly, or daily. I dealt with every unknown possibility. I consistently checked for normality with my doctor. It's very disturbing when you lose blood flow after 2 years and only have a dry brown / black light blood flow for 2 days followed with green coppery discharge to be normal. It wasn't until after 4 years I had enough after losing my mind I decided it was time to remove the device. Low and Behold it broke, and the nightmare started all over again. Sure surgery might sometimes be needed to remove the device, but trying to find a surgeon that can remove it without taking everything or one that is too afraid to kill you is another issue. Good Surgeons are out there, but very few are skilled when things go wrong. Read the Literature carefully and never say to yourself that can't or won't happen to me. If it's in the Literature you receive it has and can happen."

Noelle H. · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 3, 2019

For Birth Control "I'm sharing my experience with the full understanding that everyone will have different reactions, pertaining to their body, from any medications. I used the mirena for 10 years (2 separate devices) between my son and daughter. I loved it, but I thought the last 2 years it was causing hair loss. So, after my daughter was born in 2018, I chose to use the Paragard instead and see if the hormones made a difference. This was a big mistake for me. It has been placed for over 13 months and I have been bleeding HEAVILY, everyday, for the entire time. My doctor put me on the depo injection to try to help, which it did. But then I gained 60 pounds in 6 months and was still bleeding everyday, just much lighter. Now it is a new year, my insurance has covered the switch, and today I went back to the hormonal IUD!!! I'm hoping that soon things will go back to normal and I won't be bleeding anymore. I know the Paragard works well for some people... but not for me!!!"

Danni · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 26, 2019

For Birth Control "Cannot wait to get this out of me. I have had horrible insomnia, fatigued and tired all the time, feel weak, headaches, sometimes get nauseous for no reason, I have HORRIBLE cramps, menstruating or not, I've had the WORST anxiety and depression issues, awful thoughts that worsen it, no libido whatsoever, hair is constantly tangly and dry, and I get these weird painful, rashy, bumps on my face that stick around FOR EVER. I just don't feel like ME anymore and it all started after I got this IUD in Feb 2018. DON'T risk this."

PTNYC · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 25, 2019

For Birth Control "I had this in for 8 months, after my first baby was born. Initially things were ok and I thought the spotting would stop, but it never did. At the end, I looked like I was 3 months pregnant, irritable, noticed hair loss and even constipated. I had it removed last night and the bowel movements went back to normal almost immediately and I expect more side effects to go away. Just not worth it!"