User Reviews for ParaGard

Birth Control
5.9

Summary of ParaGard reviews 5.9 850 reviews

Reviews for ParaGard

For Birth Control "Paragard side effects were painful intercourse, depression, constipation, bloating, severe anxiety, irritability, and change in the vaginal ecosystem. Worst, most miserable choice of my life. I am and have always been a very happy and upbeat person. I got the IUD removed and was IMMEDIATELY back to myself. Don't waste years of your life with this horrible device!"

PGS (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 17, 2019

For Birth Control "Effective for not getting pregnant! BUT really bad side affects. I’m 24 years old and I was the most happiest person ever! Always so energetic, laughing, etc etc. got this thing put in and started having really bad cramping, and EXTREME anxiety and depression!! I’m now even on antidepressants. Always in bad mood, crying, not wanting to do things. I just got this thing removed!!"

Anonymous March 16, 2019

For Birth Control "I got the copper IUD a month ago, I had no pain and barely any spotting. After 2 days I had some days of bleeding. I didn't get my period and had 3 negative pregnancy tests. After 2.5 weeks (with no complaints) I experienced the worst pain and started bleeding extremely. I thought my IUD was expelling. I went to the provider 2 days later and I was told that I was pregnant, the screen showed something in my uterus looked like a baby. The doctor removed my IUD and I had to go to radiology for a better ultrasound of the baby to see what is going on, I went straight away. They sent me to hospital by ambulance, because that thing in my womb, that they thought was a baby might not be a baby after all, and the excessive fluid build up in my pelvis area were very concerning. Turned out I was okay and that 'baby' in my womb was a side effect of the copper IUD. I am not pregnant, it is the lining of my uterus that formed a sack with blood and huge cloths in my uterus. It still has to come out...."

Mona (taken for less than 1 month) March 16, 2019

For Birth Control "I was able to have Paragard inserted under G.A. along with a polypectomy (removal of a polyp). When I awoke from anesthesia I had such mild cramping I wasn't even sure if I could call it that, a .5 on a scale of 1 to 10. It continued like this for 24 hrs. I felt almost normal. Periods have been longer w/spotting for 2 days prior and post. Cramping has also intensified & lasts about 2 days off and on but is in NO way debilitating & can be easily managed/avoided with 1 or 2 advil in the course of a day. Before the IUD I would only get cramps every 3 or 4 months. Never have I ever "felt it inside me". I questioned whether it was really there, to be honest. I have a hard time feeling the strings because they wrapped around my cervix within the first 2 weeks after insertion & my boyfriend has never felt them either. Regarding spotting between periods, I don't think I have that issue though I do notice extremely light spotting right around ovulation time for 2 to 3 days. Then it disappears again."

beachyv (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 15, 2019

For Birth Control "I have had paragard for eight years and feel the need to write a review as I am researching reviews on hormonal IUDs to replace my paragard. After 8 years I started having lots of spotting and my dr said the IUD is embedding itself into me. So I have to have it removed and replaced. I am intrigued by the low/no periods with a hormonal IUD but the reviews are scary. Paraguard has been good to me! Yes my periods are heavier and I have to take about one dose of ibuprofen each month for cramps but that is very manageable. I tried the arm patch before Paragard but had it removed quickly because of the side effects. For me I will stick with Paragard that has very manageable side effects instead of risking the side effects of hormonal IUDs."

Mona March 14, 2019

For Birth Control "Insertion of paragard hurt like hell. After 6 weeks I developed a horrible rash/hives (allergic reaction) that started on my chest and spread to my whole body. It took two weeks from the start of the rash to realize what was happening - I was allergic to the paragard - and then I had paragard removed. I am now one week out and the rash has completely healed. I also experienced dizziness, weight gain, bloating and more!! DO NOT GET PARAGARD !!! I"

mamaof2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2019

For Birth Control "I went with Paragard since it could be used as an emergency contraceptive since my body expelled the hormonal one I had prior. I was aware of all the side effects before I had it inserted, but man I didn’t think it would be like this. I am constantly exhausted because I literally am on my period for 2 weeks, spot in between for a week and literally have ONE week without any bleeding in between. Now I have been bleeding for a whole month. It’s ridiculous! I am hurtings, I feel like sometimes I’m dittzier than normal, I have a lot of fatigue (probably due to all this bleeding), constipation, basically I feel like I’m also getting copper toxicity. I honestly can’t take it anymore and just counting down the days until I can get it removed. I honestly would not recommend this to anyone at all."

Anonymous March 11, 2019

For Birth Control "Let me start by saying I'm 64 and no longer need to use birth control. (lucky me). I do not have experience with ParaGard. I do have experience with the copper T's given to women in the 70's. I loved it for two months, when I was 18, and then the odyssey began. I developed a PID which spread through my fallopian tubes (damaging them severely), blew out into my abdominal cavity causing peritonitis which nearly killed me. I still have occasional pain from it 46 years later, had a lot of trouble conceiving in my 30's. I have adhesions - some attached the tubes to organs, some surrounded my liver and diaphragm. I caution all women about putting copper in your bodies, it's not worth the risk of life-long pain and fertility issues. Spend time looking into the companies who manufacture these products and look at the history of rejection. They love to deny the ill effects until there are enough deaths and lawsuits that inevitably come their way. Please be careful."

Peacha March 10, 2019

For Birth Control "Paraguard is the worst form of birth control... left me mentally unhealthy for eleven years. I was diagnosed bipolar shortly after placement put on meds with no idea that the copper could be causing these symptoms. I have been suffering for the last eleven years my relationships have been ruined all because of copper toxicity from Paraguard."

Curlynurse (taken for 10 years or more) March 4, 2019

For Birth Control "Paragard ruined my life. I have been sick and in pain, had surgeries and even been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I found an article about copper toxicity and had my IUD removed this was after years of agonizing pain and several other mental health problems that arose out of no where while having Paraguard in. Now I am almost completely pain free 7 months post removal. This thing has been poisoning me for years - I lost everything - This is the worst and scariest product on the market..I hope to help get it off the market. I will try until the day I die. The people who make and sell this are sick monsters!!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 1, 2019

For Birth Control "DON'T DO IT! I had Paragard for a full year, and thought about/researched IUDs for a few months before getting it. Yes, it's nice not having to take a pill everyday or worry about getting pregnant but the negative side effects FAR outweighed any benefits. I'm only fully functional half the time since having this IUD. At least two weeks each month I experience emotional mood swings, anxiety, fear, and cramping that makes me double over in pain. Then I get my period, where I am bedridden and depressed for 3-4 days. I feel terrible - cramping, bloating, lots of pain. I usually feel so bad that I don't eat properly, shower, or take care of myself. Also, the strings do not soften. My boyfriend gets poked by them which is painful for him, and it has made our sex life very stressful, uneventful, and infrequent - SPECIFICALLY because of this device. I would NEVER EVER recommend it to anyone. I cannot wait to have it removed and feel like myself again."

dontworryaboutit March 1, 2019

For Birth Control "I just got paraagard inserted today, so obviously I don't have much experience with it. I have many family and friends who have them and helped with my decision to get it. I took an 800mg ibuprofen before hand. The process took about 10 minutes. Parts of it were uncomfortable, but the only part that hurt was the measuring to your cervix. I got cramps about 10 minutes after, now I'm laying in bed with a heating pad about an hour later, and feel mostly fine. Will update with more once I experience more!"

New (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2019

For Birth Control "I had Paragard inserted after the birth of my second child. While this was “effective” in preventing pregnancy it caused so many issues with my body! I had few symptoms for the first 3 years other than increased yeast infections and occasional spotting. Year 4 everything went downhill! The paragard side effects got worse. I had constant infection (yeast and BV) spotting became more frequent as time went on and ended up bleeding for 2 months straight. I had extreme fatigue, complete loss of sex drive to where it was effecting my relationship, weight gain, heart palpitations, hip/back pain, swelling and water retention, horrible PMS, Joint pain among many others. I had it removed after having it for 7.5 years and 95% of my symptoms have completely vanished. The product is effective as a birth control but the issues it causes with our bodies is not worth it.!!"

Aubmari (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 28, 2019

For Birth Control "Within hours after painful insertion I began to immediately start to feel weird. I started to have brain fog at first within the first 24 hours. After three days I begin to have severe insomnia . My heart started racing and pounding through my chest and I thought to myself what is going on am I having a heart attack ? Then started the severe panic attacks I started to feel like I need it to be institutionalized because I didn’t understand what was happening to me. I felt crazy and very manic. I started to think to myself maybe it’s the IUD. So I googled and found that many women experience copper toxicity. I contacted my doctor and told her I wanted it removed. She tried to tell me I needed to leave it in longer and that I would adjust to it. I scheduled to have it taken out and when I got there the doctor dismissed my symptoms as just my imagination. I had it removed and within a couple days the majority of my symptoms subsided and I went back to normal pretty quickly."

Boo222 February 28, 2019

For Birth Control "Constant pelvic pain Almost constant bleeding Headaches Fatigue General feeling of being unwell"

User (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 28, 2019

For Birth Control "I'm male so obviously I don't have this, but I witnessed what my girl went through and this thing is definitely not safe! I was with her from early 2017 till late 2018 she had days where she could function to what seemed normal but she had been in so much pain for so long she had learned to deal with it but a lot of days she was in bed hurting I worked on the road and was rarely home to help her. She got really sick before she had it removed like I was worried she could die she seemed so sick. I read some of you were talking about a brain cloud I believe it because something just wasn't right we ended up arguing over things I had no idea why we were fighting about - none of it made sense and in the end we didn't make it and I believe this has a lot to do with it ! Anyways she getting better daily inside and out and I'm happy for her to be able to finally look forward to her future. But please nobody take this - it affects everyone.... I didn't cover all her symptoms but it was so bad"

Concerned Boyfriend February 27, 2019

For Birth Control "I couldn't find anything on side effects like what I was having. My GYN acts like I am crazy. I am allergic to birth control and have weird sensitivities. I had it placed 2/8/19. Within 48 hours my bottom gums were red, inflamed, and started bleeding. I had a metal taste in my mouth for the first week with: headaches, body aches, fatigue/no energy, teeth clenching, brain fog, different discharge and like a metal smell, feet have been extremely cold, itching, increased appetite (maybe due to feeling tired all the time). My body just feels different. I am gluten sensitive and some of these interactions mimic it but I haven't been eating anymore/less gluten then my normal. However, if you look up cooper toxicity, these are a lot of the side effects. I'm not saying it's not great for everyone but it's not good for me. I go back 3/8/19 and I will probably have it removed. I'm old enough and my kids are grown so I think I will just have my tubes tied."

Sue (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2019

For Birth Control "I had my paragaurd for almost 4 years. I have been through a lot of trauma in my life and managed well for the most part. From the time I had my IUD placed on I dealt with fatigue and brain fog like I've never experienced. My depression and anxiety were near impossible t o manage. Copper isn't hormonal but it still creates a hormonal response in your body. My body had a negative response that had I been well informed, I would have found out if it could have been my birth control causing me problems long ago. But because the way the information is presented to women we go on thinking "my depression couldn't be from my iud". The first day my IUD was out I felt as if my brain fog had lifted. The second day I had more energy I could go on. I'm not saying this birth control wasn't effective. I just believe the side affects of this contraceptive should be reevaluated. There shouldn't be this much an overlap in symptoms in women with the IUD. Ignorance isn't bliss for all of us."

Sisi (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 23, 2019

For Birth Control "This product has to be forbidden by the law!!!! Do not believe anything positive saying of it!!!!"

Drimer February 22, 2019

For Birth Control "I've had Paraguard for 3 years now. I HATE THIS THING. I am hoping to get it out very soon. The first 2 years, I really didn't have any bad cramps. I DID still have very heavy bleeding though. Last year, the really awful cramps started up again and its been unbearable. Apparently it is notorious for bad cramps and heavy flow. No thank you!"

Abbi (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 21, 2019

For Birth Control "I’ve never commented on things like these but seeing all the terrible comments also made me want to share my experience. I had this inserted after I went in for a plan B to Planned Parenthood as it works as an emergency contraceptive. They offered it for free at the time so I took a day to do research and decided to go for it (you have 120 hours after the event to use it as an emergency contraceptive). I received it when I was 20 and have had it for 5 years. It has worked well. I have had no issues with it. I felt like I had become more moody but the doctor said it is not related to this. The insertion was a uncomfortable but nothing too painful. You just feel heavy cramping for a bit and then with the ibuprofen I was fine. I did bleed for 1 month on and off but my periods have been steady now. Last about 4 days. Normal to no cramping. And still not pregnant!!"

K (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 20, 2019

For Birth Control "Severe allergic reactions-I’m talking anaphylaxis-like, carry epipens, anything and everything could set me off. Hives almost daily. Heavy and painful periods. Hair wouldn’t grow for over a year and is only now due to removal of the paragard. Chronic fatigue, extreme anxiety and poor mood."

Coop439 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 19, 2019

For Birth Control "If you are like me, then you may love this birth control! I have tried everything ... pills, patches, the shot, hormonal IUDs. Every single hormonal bc has resulted in severe mood swings for me! I get severe PMS without birth control and hormones just make it worse. The good thing about my body is that I have very light periods and no cramps. I have not had any changes in my PMS symptoms and I have been using it for about 6 months. Downside: Getting it inserted was excruciating for me. I have not had any children so that probably made it worse. I felt painful contractions for several hours. Had mild discomfort for a couple of days. I do have a heavier period now but the trade off is worth it for me. I have not gotten pregnant and have a regular sex life with my husband. This birth control has been a godsend for me. I think it is a great solution for people who don’t have physical period symptoms and who suffer more from PMS. The temporary pain was worth it for me."

CJ (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 19, 2019

For Birth Control "I was on this BC for ten years after my first son. It was fine, until I change it and it lasted 2 years. I got pregnant with this still in place, the doctor removed it without problem, I had my baby, and I gave another chance. I tried it again and I got pregnant after a year using it, Unfortunately I had a miscarriage and bad infection. I had to be admitted in the hospital for a few days plus a surgery to removed the IUD."

Andy (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 15, 2019

For Birth Control "If you willing to experiment with your body and if you wanna try to find the limit of your body-take IUD Para Gard-Non Hormone-The Copper one!!!! I had it only for a couple of days-the worst time for my health. Even after removing I have tingling on my left side-it started at the moment when ParaGard was inserted in my body . Doctors say d that the this tingling is coming from the brain-I have to make MIR and full body scanning. I was in perfect healthy condition before I put Para Gard !!!! Vomiting ,bleeding, dizziness, cramps ,losing weight before a short time, sweating at nights and in addition-Moving tingling in my left side for maybe to the rest if my life. Please, think !"

Dream (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2019