User Reviews for ParaGard to treat Birth Control

ParaGard has an average rating of 5.8 out of 10 from a total of 1086 ratings for the treatment of Birth Control. 46% of those users who reviewed ParaGard reported a positive effect, while 38% reported a negative effect.

ParaGard Rating Summary

5.8/10 average rating

Compare all 267 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for ParaGard

Mimiaugustenn · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 13, 2021

“The first day I had Paragard installed I had terrible cramps. The pain lasted almost 2 days. Make sure you instal it on a Friday so you have at least 2 days off to adjust. After that, paragard has been amazing. I used to use hormonal birth control and had gained 12 pounds on Nikki and Luthera. I couldn’t loose the weight no matter what! After switching to paragard, I lost 7 pounds so far ( with diet of course). My acne is better( because it’s hormone free) and my periods are normal. My periods lasts the same amount of days it would before paragard. However, I switched from regular tampon to super tampon. Cramps are the same as before. Nothing major. With paragard, I have the peace of mind that I won’t get pregnant! ( I was still worried when I was taking the pill)”

Jules2137 · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 27, 2021

“I have been on and off Paragard since I was 23 years old. I took a break before putting it back in at age 26 because of the pain I had to deal with. Today marked the 4th year since insertion (I’ll be 30 soon). This is the last! I am done with this horrible experience. I took it out today after telling my Gynecologist and she casually suggested taking it out and I was like yes please!!! I felt like it aged me 25 years while on it, my skin was very dull and flushed, I was in constant pain and mentally drained from it. My sex drive kept declining and I kept getting stress acne. No man wants to date a woman like me because of my constant depression. I was getting yeast infections even after chugging water all day and taking AZO. I was paranoid every time I had sex thinking my partner gave me an STD! This isn’t cool! The burning and pain was too much. I’ve fainted and thrown up in my friends bathrooms, had to turn on the faucet so they didn’t hear me barfing.”

Peacelovebaby · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 14, 2021

“I have had the Paragard twice now. The first time for 5 years and this time 6 years and counting. I have had no problems from it. It does its job as a birth control. I have full confidence in it. This time having it in, I do have heavier periods however. My periods also are 16 days apart for at least the last year that I've been tracking it. The first time I had it my periods were normal. I still highly recommend. It's also nice that it is hormone free so I'm not messing with my body in that way. Best birth control I've ever taken.”

Lo June 17, 2020

“I’ve been on Paragard for 10 months now... where do I even begin... (I’ve always had horrible cramping on my periods but this is different cramping). I read a lot about this and have yet to hear anything about the cramping that have. It’s not this severe all the time but it literally takes my breath away. Its normally just the first 2-3 days but it’s like a stabbing pain in my uterus... and here’s the real weird part it’s not just my uterus. The stabbing, breath-taking pain shoots up my butthole... Yes, you heard me... it makes me feel like I’m constipated with severe, shooting gas pains that might explode. So I had an ultrasound/internal exam and they said everything was fine. I’m still on this... because there really aren’t many birth controls left that I haven’t already heard horror stories (even though this is one) to or have tried. But hey, I’m not pregnant so I guess it’s effective. Let me know if you get these pains...”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 24, 2021

“I understand everyone’s body is different, but after reading reviews on drugs.com for multiple things, I’m convinced people only really write reviews after a really bad experience. As my gyno told me, people don’t write reviews when they are content. So I’m going to write a review to say the copper iud is 1000% the way to go if you are looking for non-hormonal birthcontrol. I spent years on the pill that gave awful side effects, I have had zero side effects from the IUD. Yes my first period was heavy, I’ve had moderate to heavy periods for most of my life accompanied with cramps, it’s nothing that is not manageable. If you are looking for peace of mind for ten years without risking the horrible side effects of hormonal bc.. get this.”

Cat · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 21, 2019

“My 19-year-old daughter, with no history of self harming/suicidal behavior, began experiencing progressively worse neuropsychiatric symptoms after her Paragard insertion due to copper accumulating in her neural tissue and her body's inability to eliminate the excess. We never thought the "natural" copper Paragard could be the catalyst for the onset of her debilitating anxiety and despair but six months post insertion she took her life. We ordered hair and tissue analysis tests after her death and received results showing toxic levels of copper. Paragard does not warn patients of this possible adverse event.”

KCoop · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 3, 2020

“I got my paraguard out after 9 years of having it in. I was experiencing copper toxicity and wonky hormonal shifts. Symptoms: ovarian cysts (very expensive appointment to confirm through sonogram), cystic acne, liver started to struggle (vitamin blood test proof), easily got sick, body pains, dizziness, panic attack, trouble sleeping, DAILY diarrhea (not even docs or my mom could figure this out). After dramatically changing my diet to cater to reducing cysts and cystic acne, no dice. I was still in incurable pain at random (ibuprofen, magnesium, cbd, hot pad all did not work). It wasn't until I shared my story online that I found the cause was my IUD! Total spent over this issue is likely anywhere between $2K-5K total. I just want awareness spread more than anything.”

Dee · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 24, 2020

“Don’t let these reviews scare you, try for yourself & see how you feel!! Insertion was very painful for me, but I am always in pain with any cervix procedure or check (even during labor). So I knew that was a possibility for me personally. Afterwards, I had cramping the entire day. A week later I got a very heavy period with heavy cramping the first day, it lasted about 14 days. I have had the Paragard for 6 months now, my periods are back to normal after the first 4 months and I never feel it inside. I had light periods before insertion & they are still light after. I’m very happy with mine, try for yourself before letting these reviews scare you. Most people only review if something goes wrong. There are tons of women who are happy with theirs who do not think to come online & review it.”

Alli January 30, 2020

“I got the IUD after having bad reactions to hormonal birth control. On paper, ParaGard sounded great: no hormones, no long term side effects.... no problems. Immediately after insertion I began having horrible lower back pain accompanied by excruciating menstrual cramps that left me curled up in a ball on the floor. My periods lasted for 2 weeks with spotting for a week after. Then came the insomnia, anxiety and crippling depression. I totally lost interest in everything I used to like and found myself having suicidal thoughts which was an absolute first for me. My doctor said there was no connection between the IUD and my symptoms so I kept with it long enough to experience daily migraines, extreme joint pain, painful bloating, hair loss, constant exhaustion and insane brain fog. After an entire year of misery I finally got it removed. I am pretty upset with the lack of information available about this product. I would NEVER RECOMMEND this device to anyone.”

Gab February 5, 2021

“I was on Mirena and I needed to get off of hormonal birth control. I was scared of cramping and bleeding too much on Paragard, so I was skeptical. But I really love Paragard. I feel like I can have carefree sex with my partner. I haven’t experienced any cramping whatsoever (but I never have cramps). And my period is only a day or two longer than usual, but not unmanageable or worrisome. We have different experiences with different types of birth control, and it’s not for everyone, but trying Paragard was worth the risk for me. I feel a lot more like myself, my anxiety is gone, I’ve lost a lot of weight, and I feel great. I would definitely give it a try, and I want to stay on Paragard until I have kids.”

None ya · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 27, 2020

“I was petrified to get this ParaGard put in. I had passed it up the first time and then decided I was over hormonal birth control. My sister had a good experience so I finally made the appointment. I read people have taken ibuprophen before hand so I did. I felt nothing but a poke. And when she said she was done, I said that’s it. It took 5 minutes. No cramping during or after. Guess I got lucky. On a pain scale 1-10 it was a 0. I spotted for 3-4 days then it completely stopped. I got my period on my normal expected 28th day. No more bleeding or cramping that the norm without this. 10/10 recommend you try it. Reviews are to be taken lightly as everyone’s body is different.”

Allison · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 21, 2020

“I expected to get worse cramping and periods the first 6 months or so after insertion of ParaGard, which is fine. After about 2 years of having it in, I started getting hormonal issues (low thyroid, loss of period for up to 6 months at a time, recurring BV, horrible bloating and water retention and fatigue either the week before or during my period-sometimes this lasted 2.5 weeks). I do think the BV is related to the IUD, but I’m not sure about the other symptoms. Can anyone else relate?!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 23, 2020

“I came on here to read reviews before getting my Paragard. For some background, I have no children and have been diagnosed with PCOS. Some of the things people said had me scared and ready to cancel my appointment. I am so glad I went through with it! The insertion felt like a quick menstrual cramp. I couldn't believe how easy it was. As far as the side effects go, I've had none aside from one day (day 2) of a slightly heavier period and there was slight cramping for a few hours after insertion. I've had it for over a year now and have had no issues whatsoever. Remember, people rarely share their good experiences. You won't know how it effects you until you try it out for yourself.”

LilRed · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 26, 2021

“I had the paragard inserted 3 years ago. The pain was minimal, and I experienced minor cramping. My periods became much heavier, between 7-12 days. Earlier this year I began experiencing my first signs of copper toxicity. Severe panic attacks, painful muscles and joints, and fatigue. Then the second copper dump came about 2 weeks ago. My chest/back is inflamed and painful, my joints pop everywhere, limbs tingle with pins and needles, extreme fatigue and anxiety. I had enough yesterday morning and removed it myself. Don't listen to the studies that tell you it doesn't cause copper toxicity, copper is stored in the tissues not the blood or urine, and those trials did not test for it correctly. Proceed with caution. The only positive side to this is that I never fell pregnant so in that regard it worked but the side effects were too horrible to keep it.”

Crina February 4, 2021

“I got pregnant after almost 4 years of use of ParaGard. Waiting to get the results of my ultrasound to see if its a regular pregnancy or an ectopic one. Do your research, the percentage of women getting pregnant while using it correctly is higher than they want you believe it is.”

Jane Doe September 10, 2020

“I've had ParaGard for 3 years. I love it. Absolutely no changes or side effects. That's why I love it because its non hormonal and doesn't affect you mentally or screw up your bodily functions. It's just copper. Insertion was quick and easy. Only difference is my period comes more often now and is heavier than usual. But I don't mind because it's worth it for having the best hormone free, most effective birth control that lasts for 10 years.”

Janice · Taken for less than 1 month October 3, 2020

“Pain and bleeding, black bleeding, every time something touches my cervix. Can't wait to get it removed. Doctors and nurses do not warn you about the likelihood of copper toxicity. Two weeks in I am already experiencing insomnia, racing thoughts, irritability, and out of control emotions. I am unable to join usual social activities or connect with my family due to the pain and bleeding. The insertion process was not "a pinch". It is traumatic and VERY painful. I am anxious about the removal process.”

RC February 5, 2020

“I got a Paragard IUD 8 weeks after giving birth to my 3rd child. 2 weeks after insertion I started having really bad pain in my lower left abdomen. My OB checked and couldn't find the strings. A sonogram was ordered and showed the IUD had moved and was stuck in the uterine muscle. I was referred to a surgeon to have the IUD removed but by then my pain had gone away. I had another sonogram and this time only a few weeks later, the IUD had fully perforated the uterus and was now near my ovaries. I had to have laparoscopic surgery to have it out. I did my research and I know for a fact the manufacturer isn't being upfront about warnings on the label. Three quarters of woman who have the IUD perforate the uterus are woman who have had a baby in the past 36 weeks and or are nursing. The reason being simple. #1 your muscles are soft from just carrying a child, #2 your uterus is still contracting and moving when you nurse. Please be aware of this information, it can save you a lot of pain.”

T · Taken for less than 1 month June 3, 2020

“I just had the paragard inserted a few days ago. I had terrible experiences with hormonal birth control (the pill and implant). The insertion did hurt a lot and I cramped/spotted after. I went home, wrapped myself in a heated blanket, and woke up feeling much better the next day. So far so good, just wanted to share my experience in case anyone was scared of the insertion process.”

C · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 30, 2021

“Wow all the reviews here are so weird. I’m a healthy 27 year old who got this IUD a few years back and have had ZERO problems since. My body had to adjust first couple of months but after that it’s smooth sailing. Periods are fairly light after a couple months into it, no cramps or discomfort, nothing. To the people who it didn’t work for, I can only assume they had a terrible doctor insert it in, a faulty IUD, or it just didn't suit you in general. This is literally the best birth control I’ve been on and I don’t plan on ever switching from it.”

Anonymous September 28, 2020

“I kept having extreme pelvic pain and I could not for the life of me figure out what was going on. I have been going to the doctor’s now for 2 1/2 years trying to figure out the source of pain - gynecologist, urologist, urogynechologist, you name it. Nightmare! I finally had ParaGard removed 3 days ago and I already feel better. I could tell my body was not happy with the thing and kept trying to have it removed. You know what happens when your body is not happy and wants something removed? Your body turns against itself when it’s trying to remove a foreign object. Like - cancer. When your body starts rejecting what’s in it, you start to feel so much pain physically/mentally and you don’t know where it’s coming from. I wasted the last 3 years not understanding what was happening to my body..... but now I do.”

Anonymous March 2, 2020

“The side effect symptoms started 3 months after insertion of Paragard, roughly when I started to wean from breast feeding and my cycle returned. I got insane IBS symptoms out of nowhere, nausea insomnia, and panic attacks. The symptoms lasted about 4 weeks before I made the correlation and decided to get the IUD removed. 3 weeks after getting it removed I felt back to normal. I went back to my doctor to discuss other birth control alternatives and she convinced me that the paragard did not cause my symptoms and convinced me to get it back in. I started to think that maybe my side effect symptoms had been from weaning from breast feeding anyway. I agreed to have it replaced. 3ish weeks later all of those same symptoms came back, in addition to a 10 day period, a metallic taste in my mouth and acne. I got the IUD out yesterday and am waiting for the side effects to go away. Never again will I put anything made of copper in me.”

Mama · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 21, 2019

“Please do your research on copper toxicity before getting this inserted! It sounds promising with a quick insertion and 10 years of protection but the side effects can be debilitating. I was only on it for 4 months and it was miserable. Some of my side effects included NO SEX DRIVE, spotting, crippling anxiety/depression, brain fog, cystic acne (I’ve never struggled with before), aching/sore joints all over my body, twitches, complete personality change. It made me into an irritable, angry monster: I didn’t even recognize myself. When I finally realized what was happening I got it out. I felt instant relief. I wish I had done more research before I risked my close relationships, health, and well-being for this. There needs to be more research done on the safety of this product.”

Zene · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 9, 2020

“I got Paragard inserted a year and 7 months ago because I needed a non hormonal BC. So far I haven’t gotten pregnant so it’s doing its job. I’m also not having emotional issues like how I did with hormonal BC so I’m rather pleased. The insertion process was uncomfortable but nor unbearable. It took about 15 minutes, most of which being prep. The insertion itself was maybe two minutes. I made sure to research a birth control specialist to ensure I was getting someone with a lot of experience as most issues occur upon insertion. I felt bloated and weird for a week or so after but nothing else was out of the ordinary. The first six months were so bad during my period. I got such bad cramps I had to call my doctor to ensure I wasn't having a complication. After the six month timeframe my periods began going back to how they were pre paragard. My periods are now only four days long and not very heavy. Overall, I’m pleased with this as birth control.”

HQ · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 9, 2020

“I’ve had ParaGuard implanted for a year and a half now. I absolutely love it now but getting through the first 6 months was patchy. I’m glad I stuck with it though because my period is not as irregular. My mind doesn’t feel as cloudy or crowded. The cramps come and go with some period cycles being more painful than others. But overall I’m glad I made this choice”

Satisfied February 23, 2020

“I am extremely happy with my Paragard! The stress leading up was worse than any part of the procedure itself; it's like a very strong cramp, but it's over in a second. I took 800 mg of Ibuprofen before and got it inserted on the last day of my period. Over the next few days the cramps and bleeding got worse, but subsided after a week or so. Had a period 3 weeks after insertion. The flow was heavier and lasted longer for the first few periods, but it's back to about what it was before. Cramps are nothing Ibuprofen can't help with. I have health anxiety, so I was super nervous about the Paragard. I'd tried hormonal bc and nothing worked. Now, I forget about it 99% of the time. Been to the gyno a million times because I was convinced it was puncturing my uterus, and it hasn't budged once. I exercise intensely with no issues, and same for sex. As far as copper poisoning I've had ZERO of the symptoms the other reviews talk about.”

Leash April 4, 2021

“Prior to using Paragard, my sex drive was was high and my husband and I had a very active and fun sex life. I got mine put in 2 months after my first baby was born and everything went down hill fast after that. I experienced depression, anxiety, hopelessness, cystic acne, severe pms (I'd barely had any pms prior), crazy mood swings, forgetfulness and brain fog, no sex drive what.so.ever. and just a complete lack of interest in my spouse, pain during sex (not severe but uncomfortable and lingering, and overall I just felt like a wreck and not myself at all. It took a long time to figure out that my issues were coming from the iud and copper toxicity. After 4 1/2 years of suffering, I finally had it removed 4 days ago. Tonight, for the first time in years, I actually enjoyed sex and desired my husband!! The sex was free from pain and discomfort too. While this IUD is great at preventing pregnancy, it's not worth losing yourself over. I'm so glad to be free!”

Nukaiscute January 18, 2021

“I personally feel as though there isn’t enough research on the Paragard Copper IUD to make some of the claims that they made when mine was inserted 4 years ago. I believe it wears down in the body and causes a chemical reaction as your blood stream intakes more copper than it is supposed to. A lot of my symptoms lined up perfectly with copper toxicity, and I have been better since removal and treatment. The whole experience was excruciating every month and periods became a 3 week long ordeal (between mental health issues and pain that wouldn’t let up and pain that caused me to feel unable to sit comfortably, due to its’ severity and spotting for a month and skipping my period for months). I felt kind of dumb for having the left the ParaGard in for so long when I found out how many women usually make it at most 1 year with it. No thanks. Just because it was non hormonal doesn’t mean it didn’t keep me feeling completely unbalanced and in complete pain with a lot of mental health issues.”