User Reviews for Tussionex Pennkinetic

Learn more about Tussionex Pennkinetic.

Tussionex Pennkinetic Rating Summary

9.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 696 medications used in the treatment of Cough.

Reviews for Tussionex Pennkinetic to treat Cough

"Probably the BEST cough suppressant you can ever be prescribed.i had a cough that was SO SEVERE it kept me up 2 days straight and my throat began to bleed..my dr Rx'd 1 tsp every 12 hours and a z-pack antibiotic. I took the doseage at 6pm and by 7 I was sleeping soundly..I used it to ward off the cough while the antibiotics cured the cough. No point in getting just cough medicine if you don't get the antibiotics to go with it :)"

sopranofan (taken for less than 1 month) September 23, 2016

"Works very well for cough suppression. Much more effective than guaifenesin with codeine. One adult dose at bedtime and I can sleep through the night, 8 hours, and wake up with very minor "hang over" that quickly wears off. Used for deep bronchitis cough, atelectasis after pneumonia, severe flu infection."

Grace Ray May 17, 2016

"This is by far and wide the best treatment for coughing. The worse your cough is, the fewer "high" feelings you will have. I don't mind the hazy feeling all opioids tend to give off, so this is an added benefit for me. The meds help relax your entire body. It can be difficult to sleep on it"

TeenieTeeny (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2016

"This is hands down the best cough medicine I've ever taken. I had a cough so severe that I wet myself or threw up during uncontrollable coughing fits. Needless to say, I couldn't sleep at night for more than the few hours when I just passed out from total exhaustion. My first dose of Tussionex didn't totally get rid of the cough, but it did cut it by about 50%. The second dose helped more. My third dose was last night, and it made it possible for me to get a good night's sleep for the first time in two weeks. I did wake up once with a bad headache, but I can't tell if it's a side effect of the medicine or just part of being sick. Anyway, I'll trade a headache for vomiting from coughing fits any day."

TBarr (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2016

"This is the ONLY cough medicine that works for the bronchitis/asthma nightime cough I have, unfortunately, for about 20 years. I just discovered this about 7 years ago maybe. To me, & I have other family members who get this awful cough that OTC meds & other RX cough meds don't even come close to touching.....one dose of this does the trick. We dubed it "liquid gold" not to mention most insurances won't cover it & at anywhere from $80-125 a bottle (big OUCH!) I have bought it in desperation of sleep & feeling better. PLEASE sell the antihistamine part separately!! I don't care about the narc part."

MDNS November 23, 2015

"This is my go to cough medicine, it absolutely works the best for bronchitis cough or sinus infection. I have experienced headaches with this but found that if I drink a lot of water when I take it, that helps. We call it super syrup in our house."

Watishka (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2015

"Little to no effect on cough and only helped me sleep a little. During 2 of my coughing fits i woke up to take 2.5 more ml (1/2 tsp) and it didnt help. "

Matt B (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2015

"I have had a terrible cold with cough & breathing issues especially at night. This prescription was great for the cough & ability to get some rest."

Anonymousthirteen (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2014

"This cough syrup really works great on quieting my wicked cough (bronchitis).....however, I am one of the few who has a terrible time sleeping when I take it. It also makes me woozy - the equivalent of drinking two glasses of wine. That said, I try to take it at least 6-8 hours before bedtime. The good effects (cough suppressant) is still working, and I get a good night's sleep. I can not drive while taking it. Stay safe!"

Michele D. January 30, 2014

"Great for colds."

nomorecough (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 1, 2014

"This medication will take a cough away but I didn't like the side effects. I normally react great to pain meds but not on this. Couldn't sleep the first night. Woke up with severe headache. Had to take another dose for this cough and still bad headache. Can see this will turn to a migraine. Was so hopeful of this medication."

jlapec67 August 26, 2013

"I am a 38 year old female who has lupus, asthma, and chronic bronchitis. After 2 months of violent coughing fits at night I was prescribed Tussionex Pennkinetic. The coughing ceased immediately, as did the pain, and I could finally breathe! It did cause itching, strong drowsiness (a plus because I was sleep deprived) and dry mouth, but it was absolutely worth it."

SuziQ - cough from bronchitis June 23, 2013

"It was like a miracle. Instantly stopped coughing and slept all night without waking up coughing. Taste is like frosting."

tridel March 5, 2013

"This is the nastiest looking and tasting medicine I have ever taken. With that said, the medicine works the best for a cough. I kept myself and my husband awake at night coughing. I took this medicine (only at night) and it worked like a charm. This is the best medicine for a cough (I don't waste my money on Robitussin or Mucinex) and is my go-to medicine whenever I get a pesky cough."

anonymous 805 (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2013

"Helps with cough however experiencing severe headache with use of this medication. Almost bad enough to go to the emergency room. "

mamma griz (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2012

"My Dr. prescribes this for me every fall/winter. I get a cold, it turns into bronchitis and then I can't sleep or function normally due to the horrible coughing. I take it about an hour before I go to bed and I sleep like a baby, no coughing and wake up refreshed and ready to go. Side effect is I feel a little groggy until around 11 am but that's not a big deal for me when you aren't coughing and able to sleep."

mom0f2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 13, 2012

"I was having coughing episodes about 3 hours long. I coughed until I vomited, and even until I lost control of my other bodily functions (both of them). I basically did not sleep more than 3 hours a night (if that) for a week and a half. Since I can expect this cough for another 4 weeks to 4 months, I broke down and gave this a try. It is a testament to the sheer physical force of the pertussis cough that Tussionex only stops it by about 80%. But that 80% makes all the difference! I am sleeping adequately and can keep food down. The unpleasantness that goes along with taking opiates is far, far preferable to this vicious pertussis cough."

Grumpygirl (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2012

"Tussinex works great, yes it will make you drowsy, so don't drive. You will sleep easy though. "

KaraV (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2012

"Worked right away when nothing else would. Its a miracle cure for incurable cough!"

gratful April 1, 2012

"I get bronchitis several times a year, and this helps ease chest pain and allows me to sleep. It works better than any other cough suppresant I've tried. ."

Anonymous February 13, 2012

"It is by far the best cough suppressant for which I've been given a prescription."

Anonymous January 30, 2012

"I have taken Tussionex for a few years. Before that I was on inhalers, etc. for my allergies and cough. New doctor finally prescribed Tussionex for me. I realize it can be addictive if not used right to the letter. My doctor was reluctant to keep refilling my prescription until I would come in and show him how serious my sinus drainage and cough was. I am so thankful for this medicine. I am 70 yrs old, still working and taking care of a 10 yr old grandson. Without this medicine, I can be just sitting and the clear liquid would drain from my nose. It does not make me drowsy or sleepy at all. Love this medicine and make sure I never abuse my dosage."

Cool Senior January 13, 2012

"I had bad cold and a continued cough that kept me awake. After I developed a fever, I was prescribed Tussionex and antibiotics. The Tussionex worked amazingly well. I was finally able to sleep without waking up coughing all the time. It does taste good too. I have just been taking it at bedtime and am trying not to take it too much. But if I have any more cough problems, I will ask for this first!"

Anonymous September 18, 2011

"This medicine has a built in phlegm breaker and works very well to keep mucus from settling in the chest. Side effects for me is usually sleepiness which is welcome when you are sick."

Anonymous September 8, 2011

"I had a cold for a week, was unable to sleep because of coughing. I went to my Doctor and he prescribed this for me. I stopped coughing within an half and hour. "

Willow11 August 10, 2011