User Reviews for Tussionex Pennkinetic

Cold Symptoms
7.6

Reviews for Tussionex Pennkinetic

Zuma · Taken for less than 1 month April 14, 2021

For Cough: “For cough spasms this is as close as a miracle drug as you can find. You can get a slight buzz and sometimes insomnia while taking it, but it beats an uncontrollable dry hacking cough all night. So at the very least it offers a relaxing night in bed even though you may not get into a deep sleep. Sometimes I take an ambien so I can sleep.”

Peter Griffen · Taken for less than 1 month July 29, 2020

For Cough: “This Tussionex Pennkineticis hands down the best cough medication available. Over the years I've tried many prescription and OTC cough medications, and I've had bad side effects or felt no relief from them. When an ER doctor prescribed me Tussionex, I realized I've found the only medication that does not give me side effects and actually works! This syrup clears up my cough, and helps decrease my post nasal drip and congestion. I am now a presumptive positive for COVID, and my PCP gave me a fill of Tussionex to help with the cough associated with the illness, and it still works great!”

Shan · Taken for less than 1 month July 21, 2020

For Cough: “Went to er with breathing issues, tested negative for covid, x-rays, blood work and ECG came back normal but couldn't take a deep breath, and when I did I hurt. Doctor prescribed this liquid gold, 10 minutes after taking it my cough was gone and I could breathe.”

SuziQ - cough from bronchitis June 23, 2013

For Cough: “I am a 38 year old female who has lupus, asthma, and chronic bronchitis. After 2 months of violent coughing fits at night I was prescribed Tussionex Pennkinetic. The coughing ceased immediately, as did the pain, and I could finally breathe! It did cause itching, strong drowsiness (a plus because I was sleep deprived) and dry mouth, but it was absolutely worth it.”

Nikki Mack June 26, 2017

For Cough: “Best cough syrup in the world for bronchitis and asthma. I measured and too it as prescribed for 7 days once a day and didn't get high or addicted. Works better than that trash promethazine cough syrup. The government has cracked down so hard on Drs they're scared to help you with what you really need. This cough mixture deserves a 10 or more like a 100! I stopped coughing in 5 minutes and felt better period. No tight chest although on antibiotics. This is what I'd recommend to any suffering like me .”

sopranofan · Taken for less than 1 month September 23, 2016

For Cough: “Probably the BEST cough suppressant you can ever be prescribed.i had a cough that was SO SEVERE it kept me up 2 days straight and my throat began to bleed..my dr Rx'd 1 tsp every 12 hours and a z-pack antibiotic. I took the doseage at 6pm and by 7 I was sleeping soundly..I used it to ward off the cough while the antibiotics cured the cough. No point in getting just cough medicine if you don't get the antibiotics to go with it :)”

Grace Ray May 17, 2016

For Cough: “Works very well for cough suppression. Much more effective than guaifenesin with codeine. One adult dose at bedtime and I can sleep through the night, 8 hours, and wake up with very minor "hang over" that quickly wears off. Used for deep bronchitis cough, atelectasis after pneumonia, severe flu infection.”

TBarr · Taken for less than 1 month February 28, 2016

For Cough: “This is hands down the best cough medicine I've ever taken. I had a cough so severe that I wet myself or threw up during uncontrollable coughing fits. Needless to say, I couldn't sleep at night for more than the few hours when I just passed out from total exhaustion. My first dose of Tussionex didn't totally get rid of the cough, but it did cut it by about 50%. The second dose helped more. My third dose was last night, and it made it possible for me to get a good night's sleep for the first time in two weeks. I did wake up once with a bad headache, but I can't tell if it's a side effect of the medicine or just part of being sick. Anyway, I'll trade a headache for vomiting from coughing fits any day.”

grcgm February 13, 2017

For Cough: “A doctor once described this medicine to me as the "cough syrup of champions." He wasn't joking. My cough is gone within 10 minutes of drinking this golden liquid miracle. The only reason I didn't give it a full 10 is because of the risk of addiction. It feels amazing- so amazing that you might be tempted to take a little more. Just be careful and take it EXACTLY as prescribed.”

MDNS November 23, 2015

For Cough: “This is the ONLY cough medicine that works for the bronchitis/asthma nightime cough I have, unfortunately, for about 20 years. I just discovered this about 7 years ago maybe. To me, & I have other family members who get this awful cough that OTC meds & other RX cough meds don't even come close to touching.....one dose of this does the trick. We dubed it "liquid gold" not to mention most insurances won't cover it & at anywhere from $80-125 a bottle (big OUCH!) I have bought it in desperation of sleep & feeling better. PLEASE sell the antihistamine part separately!! I don't care about the narc part.”

Michele D. January 30, 2014

For Cough: “This cough syrup really works great on quieting my wicked cough (bronchitis).....however, I am one of the few who has a terrible time sleeping when I take it. It also makes me woozy - the equivalent of drinking two glasses of wine. That said, I try to take it at least 6-8 hours before bedtime. The good effects (cough suppressant) is still working, and I get a good night's sleep. I can not drive while taking it. Stay safe!”

Grumpygirl · Taken for less than 1 month July 7, 2012

For Cough: “I was having coughing episodes about 3 hours long. I coughed until I vomited, and even until I lost control of my other bodily functions (both of them). I basically did not sleep more than 3 hours a night (if that) for a week and a half. Since I can expect this cough for another 4 weeks to 4 months, I broke down and gave this a try. It is a testament to the sheer physical force of the pertussis cough that Tussionex only stops it by about 80%. But that 80% makes all the difference! I am sleeping adequately and can keep food down. The unpleasantness that goes along with taking opiates is far, far preferable to this vicious pertussis cough.”

TeenieTeeny · Taken for less than 1 month May 9, 2016

For Cough: “This is by far and wide the best treatment for coughing. The worse your cough is, the fewer "high" feelings you will have. I don't mind the hazy feeling all opioids tend to give off, so this is an added benefit for me. The meds help relax your entire body. It can be difficult to sleep on it”

Watishka · Taken for less than 1 month November 17, 2015

For Cough: “This is my go to cough medicine, it absolutely works the best for bronchitis cough or sinus infection. I have experienced headaches with this but found that if I drink a lot of water when I take it, that helps. We call it super syrup in our house.”

jlapec67 August 26, 2013

For Cough: “This medication will take a cough away but I didn't like the side effects. I normally react great to pain meds but not on this. Couldn't sleep the first night. Woke up with severe headache. Had to take another dose for this cough and still bad headache. Can see this will turn to a migraine. Was so hopeful of this medication.”

Tacoman August 21, 2018

For Cough: “I have had a chronic cough since I was a freshman in high school (I'm now 24). I have been to every specialist tried many many treatments and nobody can figure out what is wrong with me. I've even been to Jacksonvilles mayoclinic specialty cough clinic where they ran extensive tests over a 3 day period; took biopsies of my lungs, esophagus, and trachea, had a CT scan of my chest, did a pH probe test checked for asthma (much more extensive test than the traditional method of detecting asthma) and much more. Nobody can figure out what is wrong with me. I'm at the point where the next treatment option will be Botox injections into my neck to paralyze the nerves in hopes that it helps with the cough reflex. Now, you might be asking yourself, is the above relevant? The answer is yes, and here's why. After reading my extensive summed up cough history, and concluding that nobody has any idea what is wrong with me, the only short term relief I am able to get is from tussionnex.”

barbbence November 2, 2009

For Cough: “I have been to several internists, three pulmonary docs and still have a chronic cough. Other than perhaps an asthmatic condition so far no specific diagnosis. Nobody could stop the cough. I tried virtually everything until I came to my latest internist who said he could stop the cough and he did. He prescribed Tussionex Pennkinetic. Unlike most of the other comments I don't feel loopy, I feel normal as can be except I can't sleep. So with a bit of an Ambian I sleep, I don't cough much any more and feel great. I take two teaspoons daily each and every day or I am in trouble. I have done this now for about three years and the end results have kept me off Prednisone and able to live a normal healthy active life. Hurray for this medicine!”

redrn December 22, 2009

For Cough: “First of all , if you go to a doctor and request this medicine, he/she will see this as drug seeking behavior. It is an opiate . The only difference between Tussionex and Vicodin is the antihistamine in the Tussionex. It is highly addictive. I should know ...I have been to drug treatment two times for my addiction to Tussionex. I didn't take it as prescribed though - worked my way up to 3oz. Each day - sometimes twice a day. Be very careful.”

Cool Senior January 13, 2012

For Cough: “I have taken Tussionex for a few years. Before that I was on inhalers, etc. for my allergies and cough. New doctor finally prescribed Tussionex for me. I realize it can be addictive if not used right to the letter. My doctor was reluctant to keep refilling my prescription until I would come in and show him how serious my sinus drainage and cough was. I am so thankful for this medicine. I am 70 yrs old, still working and taking care of a 10 yr old grandson. Without this medicine, I can be just sitting and the clear liquid would drain from my nose. It does not make me drowsy or sleepy at all. Love this medicine and make sure I never abuse my dosage.”

newhorizon May 1, 2016

For Cold Symptoms: “I had chest congestion for about a week, and when I talked to my friends I would start coughing. This was what the doctor prescribed and when the pharmacist gave me the medicine, she explained the side effects to me and to drink liquids too. I took my dose from a 5 ml plastic cup. I have taken 3 doses so far. The effects on me were dizziness, drowsiness, dry mouth and nausea. My head was spinning so much I couldn't stand up. Sometimes I would cause me to fall asleep, but sleep was helpful. The nausea was unpleasant. After two days I felt better. This was strong medicine to take, but it was better taking it at night. Otherwise it knocks me right out.”

Misery Free August 25, 2011

For Cold Symptoms: “Awesome medication for severe allergies. I have been taking this medicine now for 2 years. My environmental allergies were just getting worse and worse. I have been to many allergist who kept giving me nose sprays and shots once a week. After one year of continual shots and not getting better my doctor prescribed Tussionex. Just imagine feeling like you have a bad cold all year around, coughing, sneezing and feeling miserable. Tussionex made me feel normal. I had forgotten what it was like not to cough, have a runny nose and feeling like I had the flu. With the Tussionex I felt so good since it stopped the cough, the runny nose and all the aches and pains in my neck and sinuses. THANK YOU for Tussionex!”

anonymous 805 · Taken for less than 1 month January 3, 2013

For Cough: “This is the nastiest looking and tasting medicine I have ever taken. With that said, the medicine works the best for a cough. I kept myself and my husband awake at night coughing. I took this medicine (only at night) and it worked like a charm. This is the best medicine for a cough (I don't waste my money on Robitussin or Mucinex) and is my go-to medicine whenever I get a pesky cough.”

chisquare January 7, 2010

For Cough: “I have chronic bronchitis and when I get a cold and let it go too long, the chronic bronchitis shows itself and if I don't recognize the onset soon enough, pneumonia --single or double- is the result. My doctor prescribed Tussionex five years ago and it has become my "go to" medicine--if used early, it allows me to sleep, cough less throughout the night. While it does not cure the bronchitis, it allows the body to do its work by allowing you to rest without coughing. I have one bit of advice - do not abuse this medication - regardless of what the prescription says--one teaspoon (2 ML) a day preferably before bedtime is the only way you should take it. I use it very sparingly because of it's expense and because it always works for me.”

Anonymous January 25, 2011

For Cough: “Whenever I get a cold I get a wicked cough that actually makes me throw up it is so bad. I took every cough syrup known to man and nothing worked until my dad who is a doctor tried Tussionex. It was incredible I was better in 48 hours! I only get a cold like this every few years but this medicine is the only one that works and doctors are afraid of it because it is a narcotic but if nothing else works why make people suffer?”

Anonymous January 15, 2009

For Cough: “This stuff is a miracle cure for nasty coughs. I was prescribed this for a painful, dry cough that was unresponsive to codeine and OTC cough medicines. It completely killed my cough and allowed me to relax and sleep. If I were a doctor I'd give this stuff out instead of codeine.”

Missy5537 June 23, 2009

For Cough: “As others have stated, this medicine is great. I have been so sick for over a week; coughing and spitting up constantly, unable to talk without going into a severe coughing spell and unable to sleep due to the cough and having to clear my throat so I could breathe. I finally went to the doctor today. He gave me Z-pack, a Celestone shot AND the Tussionex Suspension. I know it was the Tussionex that did the trick so quickly. I remember having it years ago, and same thing; my "impossible to cure" cough went away very soon. Next time I get a bad cough, I'm going for the Tussionex Pennkinetic Suspension immediately. NOTHING else that I've used the past week came anywhere near to eliminating my symptoms. Excellent product.”

JANK · Taken for less than 1 month March 22, 2019

For Cough: “A wonderful medicine! .Stops a nagging cough dead in its tracks. I have used it several times when I've had the flu, or a bad cold. Unfortunately, it is now hard to get, due to people who can't be responsible with such medications......”

BvAnna September 19, 2010

For Cough: “I coughed horribly for a year and a half. Had all tests run, even had the Nissen fundoplication procedure done. My cough did not go away. In the hospital I was given this for pain. I immediately stopped coughing. Could finally sleep. I found an ENT who thinks my cough is neurogenic. Nerve damage caused by a virus. This is the nerve that triggers cough. He gave me gabapentin and it helped a little in the beginning now, it does nothing. I had 2 refills left on the Tussionex Pennkinetic and I'm now down to my last refill. I take 1 teaspoon every day around 4:00. I take it so early because this medicine keeps me up and won't let me sleep. The opposite of what most of you are experiencing. ”

More about Tussionex Pennkinetic (chlorpheniramine / hydrocodone)

Other brands