User Reviews for BuSpar

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about BuSpar.

Anxiety
6.3

Panic Disorder
5.7

Summary of BuSpar reviews 6.0 362 reviews

Reviews for BuSpar

For Anxiety "Horrible drug, made my anxiety worse! An hour after my second dose I became nauseous and had the spins bad."

Buspirone (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2018

For Anxiety "DO NOT TAKE THIS CRAP! My experience was so bad I actually turned to Burboun to get me out of this hole that buspar put me in. I can only explain it like this: take the most familiar place to you and suddenly this place you know so well doesn't look the same. Like all the furniture got rearranged but nothing moved. Like your home was relocated to the twilight zone. Not cool. Neither are these people who are taking people off meds that work and handing out garbage like this to save their own skin."

Knight2000 (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2018

For Panic Disorder "BuSpar is a bit of a mixed experience for me. I always get a rapid pulse, restless and sometimes sweaty for about an hour after each dose, but it is effective the rest of the day at minimizing my panic and anxiety without resorting to benzodiazepines."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 2, 2018

For Anxiety "It took away my ability to sleep. I didn’t notice anything more."

Trichlie (taken for less than 1 month) January 2, 2018

For Anxiety "I have been suffering from SEVERE anxiety all of my life. It was debilitating for me, people around would never know I was experiencing it because I would make myself losing and look happy, when really I was full of anxious energy and worry. I worried about EVERYTHING. Death mostly. It was obsessive. I never wanted try medicine so I just kept dealing with it. Recently, it peaked to the point I could no longer handle it. After researching medications I decided to try BuSpar, specifically for anxiety. I know most do not see the benefits for at least 2 weeks, however, I’m on day two and I feel “normal”. I have never felt normalcy ever in my life. But I finally feel free of anxIety. I felt dizziness upon the first dose, nothing else yet."

AC WOOT December 15, 2017

For Anxiety "I was prescribed Buspirone in October of this year to help with anxiety and a very fast heart beat. When I originally went to see my doctor the very first time my heart rate was 116. Two weeks later, and two weeks after starting Buspirone, my heart rate was 86. It now seems to fluctuate between 98 - 74. The first few weeks were miserable and the first week was the worst. I actually ended up quitting on day 2 because of the dizziness and restarted a week later. When I restarted the symptoms weren't as bad. I still get dizzy sometimes but my doctor said it's most likely because my heart is slowing down."

extraminty (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 13, 2017

For Anxiety "Been on Buspar 6 weeks & 1 day today. Trying to stay the course & not give up till 8 weeks. On 15mg (3x /day) & titrated my way up over the last 6 wks. Tried 20mg but felt like I took speed & my extremities had very uncomfortable tingling. Even at 6 wks when I take my 5mg dose my heart still races & I get dizzy & feel some heightened anxiety about an hour after taking it. Lasts about an hour. I also have some left leg thigh pain now. I’ve read so much on this drug & it’s hard to know if you should go up or down in dose to get the right level for your body. My pDoc doesn’t seem to know much more than I do. In those 6 wks I’ve only had a few hours out of 2 non-consecutive days of anxiety/fear relief. I’ll write another review at 8 wks"

Kanina (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 24, 2017

For Anxiety "I started Buspar 2 months ago and at first I did have the side effects for the first 3 weeks, but was given anti nausea med and reduced the nausea. Have lost 12 pounds and have kept it off. Eating a little as no changes in what I eat. No sweets. And that makes me happy. And no more anxiety"

cschupp2012 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2017

For Panic Disorder "Drug is prescribed for 18-64 age bracket. Seniors experience drugs differently just like Teens. I tried Buspar to replace Xanax. Buspar builds in the system. 1st month I noticed a slight calm effect. My NP was getting me off another SSRI also not good for Seniors. During the last 2 weeks, I have noticed shortness of breath which has increased. That increased my anxiety and hyperventilation. I know it is early but I already feel better this evening not having taken my three 5 mg doses. Xanax has a 6 hour shelf life and works better for me and I have learned to regulate the doses. Will wean off on the 2.5 half tabs of Buspar. My system is just like it used to be."

Female, 64 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2017

For Panic Disorder "This drug made my anxiety worse. Need I say anything more? Bad drug!"

Buspar sucks! (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 14, 2017

For Anxiety "I've been begging for years to take an anti anxiety medication. I was initially diagnosed with depression & anxiety. My neurologist increased my Effexor from 75mg to 150mg/day to treat the numbness and tingling in my feet due to diabetes. I became manic with my driving and spending habits. I was then re-diagnosed as being bipolar. I went years without anxiety medication and had several trips to the hospital with anxiety attacks that felt more like heart attacks. I was put on Buspar and took my first dose last night. This morning I couldn't find my wig. I ended up late to work in hopes of locating it. It's not where I left it and I wonder if I was sleep walking. Anyone experience anything similar?"

Newbie Girl October 23, 2017

For Anxiety "I had high hopes that this would help my anxiety but it seems like it made my anxiety a lot worse. I now experience bad nausea and trembling which didn't happen before. I also had low appetite and more severe anxiety attacks. I took 15mg twice a day for six weeks. Thankfully it doesn't have withdrawal effects but unfortunately it didn't work for me."

Moni89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 9, 2017

For Anxiety "I've been on Buspar for two years. The drug does not 'kick in' quickly, but once it does start working, one notices a nice, quiet calm. (It started working for me after ~ 30 days. )It's nothing like the benzodiazepines (thank goodness) and does not make me feel like a zombie with memory problems like Clonazepam (Klonopin) or Valium, etc. I use this in conjunction with Cymbalta and this combination helps me with both anxiety and depression. The only side effect I notice is that I might sweat a bit more. It is non-addictive, but as with any drug used long-term, one become physically dependent upon Buspar and one should follow a withdrawal schedule formulated by your PCP."

Zfrost October 6, 2017

For Anxiety "I augmented my SSRI Lexapro with BuSpar to help bring my initial startup anxiety down the first few weeks of starting an SSRI. I must be one of the lucky people who found BuSpar to be effective because it did greatly relieve my anxiety, especially tapering up my dosage over a few weeks time. I only had to take one Xanax over the period of a month when starting up my SSRI thanks to BuSpar."

OCD/Anxiety Sufferer (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 27, 2017

For Anxiety "Overall- waste of money long term because it only works for a few weeks. Exercise and meditation will be more beneficial. However, if you're doing exposure therapy in addition to, those few weeks the medicine is working may help you overcome the initial hurdle. Initial side effects were dizziness and terrible fatigue. Only lasted first 3-4 days, then you could feel the medicine start working. Buspar only worked for two weeks though. Regardless, I took it 4-5 months while still having regular anxiety attacks. I started tapering off last week, and thankfully no withdrawal symptoms (not like Xanax). That is at least a plus."

AmandaCF (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 24, 2017

For Anxiety "My doctor prescribed Buspar 5mg 3x daily as I eased off Effexor. The Effexor worked great except for the sexual side affects and the hardcore addiction. I have nothing good to say about Buspar. I thought I was losing my mind. Felt severely unbalanced. Nauseated. Confused. Thirsty. Insomnia. You name it! My endocrinologist thought I might be diabetic because of family history. No, it was all the Buspar. Why should something that is suppose to help generalised anxiety make you feel like you are losing it? I ended up slowly getting off of Effexor and pitching the Buspar. I need something for generalised anxiety but I am scared of another bad trip."

SharonSteelMagnolia September 21, 2017

For Anxiety "Took buspirone for 2 days. It definitely helped me stay calm, but made me drowsy during the day and gave me the worst insomnia I've ever experienced at night. I know trialling it 2 days is nothing for a med, but I have a family and a demanding job where I cannot afford to not get at least a couple hours of sleep a day. The severe insomnia alone is enough for me to stop taking it. I also got insomnia from the two antidepressants I took (generic Paxil and Zoloft), so I am very sensitive to meds. I will say this though, it did seem to keep my calm and better able to focus. It works in those terms. I would recommend anyone who hasn't had success using anti depressants to try buspar/buspirone for anxiety. It just might be your golden ticket."

Chris0000 September 18, 2017

For Anxiety "After years of klonopin/Xanax & zolft, MY so-called Dr switches me to Buspar& Lexapro. This is the most worthless bunch of junk medicine ever created. It just sent me into benzo withdrawals !!! Horrible ones that last days. I have to find another Dr that had mercy on me and put me back on Xanax."

Dstroyr (taken for less than 1 month) September 11, 2017

For Panic Disorder "I fell thru the ice and drowned ( obviously resuscitated ) at the age of 17. In College I started getting terrible panic attacks that had me going to the ER sometimes 2 times a week. I was put on Buspar and they might as well as given me a TicTac and told me THAT was a Miraclel Drug as well is would have probably been more effective. Prozac, Xanax , Valuim ALL seemed to make it worse Clonazepam is THE ONLY Med. that has worked it's been a life saver."

Carpe88 August 19, 2017

For Anxiety "I love this drug! I started 4 yrs ago when I was just starting recovery from sex addiction and childhood sexual abuse and trauma, and I started out on just 5 mg/day. Within a week, I noticed my anxiety significantly lessen. Within 3 weeks, I was able to stop compulsively having sex with a new guy every week. It helped me get my life back on track, and about 9 months later, I finally started taking it as prescribed (5mg twice per day,) and the difference was even more significant. I slept better, had fewer racing thoughts, and I stopped obsessing about my therapist as much. It didn't cause any weight gain and had virtually no side effects after the initial blurry vision for the first few days. Highly recommend Buspar!"

OliviaBat July 29, 2017

For Anxiety "I have been on Buspar for about 2 months now for anxiety from keppra. It seems to work sometime but when I get an anxiety or panic attack it hits hard. I was on 5mg twice a day and now my dose is really high. Like today it seems to have no effect. And I'm always lightheaded dizzy fogged out feeling. And my other doctor said to try Xanax."

theplacetobe234 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 24, 2017

For Anxiety "I was prescribed this drug for anxiety I took it home and managed to take it for 2 days but immediately noticed severe insomnia that after two days made me stop taking it. On top of the inability to sleep despite feeling tired I had absolutely zero appetite. In the little over 48 hours I had only managed to eat a handful of cherries... However when I was on the drug I did notice less irritability and increased fatigue which I attributed to not sleeping or eating."

Josephw1 (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2017

For Anxiety "I started talking this medication last Monday and was only on it for 4 days before I had to quit. I had so many of the different side effects of this drug like lack of appetite, stomach upset, extremely worse anxiety than I had before I started and extreme drowsiness during the day but insomnia at night. It was an absolute nightmare for me but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work for someone else."

Cyndi16 July 22, 2017

For Anxiety "I started out on 5 mg, 3 times day and am now at 10 mg 3-4 times a day. I've experienced no side effects. I do feel less anxiety (constant worry, easily irritated), but feel it come back about 5 hours later. It has taken the edge off of social anxiety but has taken about 2 months to get there. It is a mild anti anxiety med. It doesn't make you feel drugged or spaced out. It helps to give you the ability to stop the anxious thoughts but doesn't seem to do it all for you. I have ADD as well and take Wellbutrin along with Buspar. I have taken Lexapro and although it does wonders for anxiety it also caused me to feel a bit manic over time. Lexapro also wiped out my memory. I have a grandson now and I want to remember and be at my best for him."

Alisann (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2017

For Anxiety "This medication did not work for my anxiety. BuSpar actually allowed my anxiety to increase with severe insomnia and vivid dreams. It also caused severe stomach and intestinal problems. I also experienced dizziness irritability and incoordination. There are other symptoms from BuSpar these are the main ones that caused me to stop taking the drug."

Iron Ang June 29, 2017