User Reviews for BuSpar

Learn more about BuSpar.

BuSpar Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 37 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for BuSpar to treat Panic Disorder

"My mild anxiety had been building for yrs when I decided to seek help for it. At that time, I had only experienced one panic attack after a health scare (heart palps from over exercising). It wasn't until I sought help to control my stress that I was prescribed Prozac. Started having panic attacks and taken off. Started taking buspar. 1st few wks were really rough (brain zaps). It kept me from having panic attacks but I still experienced moderate anxiety every day. After 8 wks, I started to experience depression for no reason and intrusive thoughts. Nothing like I ever experienced before. So I went back down, depressive thoughts came back. Tapered off. Lightheadedness, ear ringing and brain fog persisted the entire 3 mo. I was on it."

Anxnomore September 27, 2016

"I've been on this medication for about eight months for both panic disorder and anxiety, 30 mg twice a day. Just so people know, it takes roughly six weeks to kick in fully, so if you haven't felt anything yet, you need to give it time before you try something else. While it does make me very tired after I take it for about 30-40 minutes, it doesn't make me chronically tired like I was while on antidepressants. A short nap definitely helps if I'm not doing anything in the morning. It's absolutely brought my level of anxiety way, way down to a manageable level, especially after getting to the maximum dose. I'm functioning normally for the first time in years and I love it."

Isneksjdnemsifjenndjdjd (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 4, 2016

"Took buspar for the first time yesterday. My PTSD has been growing into agoraphobia slowly and it has been debilitating. Started 7.5mg of the buspar and not even and hour later, I was walking like a drunk, felt like my entire body was being zapped if I moved my neck or head. I was so dizzy I had to take a nap. Decided maybe I'd be better with the night time dose. Took it before bed, fell asleep, and woke up every two hours. Ended up wetting the bed (not an issue I've had ever) and still too damned dizzy to get up. I'm in my mid twenties. This medication doesn't help me and I'd rather stay on the Clonazepam."

Pandoras Box April 28, 2016

"Just got prescribed busbar I take 30mg x2 daily (60mg) I'm 26 suffer from panic attacks and ptsd. For the short time I been on the medication it seems to cut the edge when taken with xanax 1mg 3x a day. Hope to the person reading this it will help. Panic can ruin live's an it's crazy to see so many doctors on negative about benzos. "

James1417 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2016

"This medicine is a waste of time ... to be honest or might be a placebo because it doesn't work !!!! The first time I took it , I made myself believe it worked but it doesn't .... I'm going back on my old combo Klonipin and seroquel.... Can't deal with this anymore longer !!!!! Save your time , energy , and extra anxiety "

Koko800 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 19, 2016

"I suffer from anxiety/panic disorder and I was given Buspar 10 MG twice daily. I felt very light headed and like I had a constant head rush. My Dr tried increasing the dose to 20mg twice daily and with that I couldn't keep my eyes open. I had to nap for 2 to 3 hours. It was just awful. After nearly 4 weeks of being on this medication, I have insisted that I been taken off of it. I am on 5 MG twice a day for today and tomorrow and then I'll be done with it and I hope the side effects go away soon. Just an awful experience."

DCD79 (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2016

"It caused unbalance & I went unconscious"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2015

"I was on a high dosage of Lexapro and it was working extremely well. However, the side effects were terrible. I added BuSpar gradually then decreased the Lexapro to 10 mg and feel as good as I did on the high dosage of Lexapro. I am currently taking 10mg Lexapro and 15mg BuSpar 2x daily. I will warn you that if you miss a dose or two of the BuSpar, the next time you take it will make you feel really weird for a few hours. Also, when you first start taking it, you will feel weird for about a week. Push through it, it is a great add on to Lexapro."

Great add on to SSRI (could cut dosage way down) 1st week is weird though April 28, 2015

"I was on a few meds that didn't help much. But when I started taking Buspar, I noticed I felt more at ease and I am now able to do a lot more than I was able to do before. I suffer from severe panic attacks and was at the point of giving up. I lost friends and confused family members because they could not relate to my bouts of panic. Fear from panic limited me to do the most simple things like shop, travel or even drive in cars with friends. I couldn't enjoy a meal at a restaurant without looking for an exit. I couldn't go to crowded places without wanting to run. But now after a 6 weeks on this medication. I'm able to concentrate and enjoy life so much better. I'm nowhere near 100% but this medication is saving me little by little."

sivadycart April 5, 2015

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was on Buspirone with my Paxil. It worked well with the Paxil. However, it did not work at all by itself. I had to quit taking Paxil, due to an interaction with my seizure medicine. The Buspirone made me have anxiety, and everytime I took it, I felt like my brain was getting shocked with electricity."

Jamrom324 March 7, 2015

"My panic disorder started very gradually. At first it was a slight panic that lasted for a min or two when I was driving, then it slowly intruded into my life. At some worst points I was unable to sleep for a week. I might be able to doze off for an hour or two, and then I'd wake up with a racing heart. Buspar helped at first, I was only on 5mg for five months, never went up in dose. After about 5 months, stressful events like job interviews pretty much made this med ineffective for me. I really liked this med as it had no side effects for me. No dizziness or nausea or "brain zaps". My doctor put me on Paxil instead. Just started it, but it seems to be working. My pulse is still about 20 beats above my normal rate, but it doesn't bother me."

MickeyMighty February 13, 2015

"I have a 10 year old who is autistic, is the size of a 13 year old, and has had severe panic and tantrums since he was 4 years old. He is also going through puberty early. We have tried just about every medication and he has had severe side effects, until Buspar. We started with 5mg twice a day for 2 weeks and now are 10mg twice a day. Within 36 hours we noticed a considerable change in his physical symptoms (he is non-verbal and cannot tell us what is wrong/or what hurts) The school is sending home notes saying he is learning to calm himself and self regulate better and is having more spontaneous language and learning at school. We supplement the Buspar with 3mg daily of risperdal and are hoping to phase out the RISPERDAL this year."

Addvoc84kids (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 26, 2014

"I have only been taking BuSpar for about a month but I have seen a rapid turn around in my anxiety. I am not cured, I still get panicked from time to time, but I am now able to deal my worries without getting lost in them. I used to go about life in a sort of depersonalized haze, but the medication has worked in bringing me back to reality. As for side effects, I think it is safe to say that I got them all in the first couple weeks. Nausea, dizziness, drowsiness, slight depression, etc... However, it was nothing that was too bad. As I continued to take it, the side effects decreased. Furthermore, the benefits that I have obtained from it far outweighed any complaints that I might have had. I would suggest trying it for anxiety."

InsertNameHere May 15, 2014

131 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I first had a panic attack last June & went to the hospital. They gave me Ativan 1mg. I took that for about 1 month and felt sort of out of it, so I decided to only take half and see how that worked. It did work, but I still felt like a zombie. I went back to the doctor & was prescribed BuSpar 5mg twice a day. I took that for three months, but was still having issues waiting in lines, being in public places & sometimes driving. I found I still needed to take the Ativan when I started to panic. Long and short the 5 mg 2xday would take away about 60% of my anxiety and I would force myself out of my head, so to speak. Recently I went back to the doctor & she upped my dose to 7.5 mg twice a day. I feel great! This is giving me my life back, NO more Ativan."

Cyndie1 April 19, 2014

133 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I think it works for me"

Jenn beau March 19, 2014

"I, have anxiety issues eversince my teenage years. And I have noticed as I get older. My anxiety has gotten much worse. I have went back into the USAR. As of 2009. And my MDD, Panic Disorder and GAD (Social Anxiety) has shpwn it's ugly horns. I have missed taking an airplane for Annual Training. Or have had numerous Panic Attacks while at the range. I was on Paxil 60mg for 3 months. The brain zaps. Didnt help. But still had debilitating PA. So I have been on Lexapro 20mg n Xanac 1mg. Have greatly helped. But still had racing thoughts. And couldn't goto sleep So, for 5 days while being on 15mg Buspar. Taken at night before bed. Has greatly helped me. With sleep. No harsh side effects. I take the lexapro, buspar, xanax. Everyday."

Matt4072 November 4, 2013

"I was a poster child for all the bad side effects of this medication. I am now on clonazepam odt 0.25mg twice daily and feel like a human being again!"

Ys April 18, 2013

"I have taken this medication for a month and in that time I have had the quietest mind of my life. I take Lexapro for my regular medicine and this is for easing the generalized anxiety disorder that acts up so frequently. Never have I been able to stop myself from a panic attack like this. It's amazing. The first week was tiring and disorienting...after that, smooth sailing."

Anonsy (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2013

175 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started getting panic attacks about 6 years ago for no real reason, causing me to not be able to keep anything down for about 2 months. Was put on a lot of meds before I tried Buspar. I believe it with the addition of an SSRI antidepressant saved my life. Back in August of this year I stopped everything and all my anxiety and panic and depression came back. I started the Buspar again yesterday after a huge break down, slept better than I have in months, had great dreams, actually WANTED to get out of bed and today I feel better than I have since the summer! It may not work well for EVERYONE, but when it DOES work, it's amazing."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 21, 2012

157 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was given this for panic disorder with agoraphobia. It made me so dizzy every time I took it that I couldn't even read a book because it felt like I was in a washing machine being twirled around. I took it at night before bed and I had to make sure I was in bed when I took it and I could not be walking around or doing anything because I was afraid I'd stumble or fall down. I took it for eight days and it didn't get any better, so finally I stopped taking it. It had no noticeable improvement on my anxiety anyway and I didn't see the point in taking something that made me feel like I was on a merry-go-round."

clarkdaniels (taken for less than 1 month) September 13, 2012

"I had suffered from panic attacks and anxiety since I was 8 years old. It was managable until this year. The attacks have been so severe that I cannot drive and was missing work. I cannot take SSRI's or any medications for that matter. My DR. prescribed Burspar 5mg twice daily. That actually was too much for me and I take 2.5mg twice a day and it works wonderful. I feel the anxiety dwindle away within 1 hour of taking the pill. I do not take it on a regular basis, only when my anxiety begins to increase. Buspar levels me to a normal level. There is hope."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2012

123 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have had panic attacks for my whole life and tried every med possible. My doctor put me on Buspar to help with it. I took ONE pill in the morning and was supposed to take another at night. Throughout the day I couldn't walk, felt drunk, my eyes were burning, my pupils were twitching and my body was aching. I have a 1 year old and I couldn't take care of her that day. I had to call an on call doctor 4 times that night, call my psychologist, and I was told to skip my night time dose. I took my morning one when I woke up barely able to be coherent and went to my therapy appointment. He sent me straight to my doctor and they took me off it immediately."

PanicGirl March 19, 2012

"I know it may sound a little over the top, because I have only taken Buspar for 2 days and I am already seeing the benefits. I am not a big medicine advocate because I just don't like the side effects of most like Seroquel (ugh) which gave me chills. I have had BIPOLAR, POST TRAUMATIC STRESS DISORDER, PANIC AND ANXIETY DISORDER since I was very young. I have tried so many medicines and none have gave me benefits like this one. I take 7.5 twice a day and I can go on with my daily functions on the normal level now. at first it made me a little reluctant due to the fact that I panic. It gave me a small euphoric moment but I was able to concentrate on my home work assignment which I could not do at before."

diamondlegacy February 1, 2012

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I take BuSpar 10mg capsules. I've been on this medication for about two months now, for Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and Panic Disorder. This medicine has gotten me through the separation of me and my mother, school phobia (a real thing: kind of a mix between agoraphobia and truancy), and generalized anxiety. I gave it an 8/10 because it takes about a month before the full potential results kick in. Also, it gives a sedative feeling when you take one, which always relaxes me."

J Rock October 5, 2011

"This medicine is saving my life! After 20 years of suffering with panic disorder, I finally feel free. I have had zero side effects, do not be hesitant to take this medication. It will change your life!"

Anonymous September 21, 2011

151 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate