User Reviews for BuSpar to treat Anxiety

BuSpar Rating Summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for BuSpar

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 8, 2020

“I didn't read all the reviews but I was surprised to see people with intense reactions to BuSpar, maybe they took higher doses than I did. I've taken this drug on and off for a few years and it kind of works - it's hard to explain. I have taken probably 15-20 anxiety and depression meds in the last 10 years and many have bad side effects, buspar had none of those other than drowsiness - the only reason I keep buspar around is that it is very mild in my book - the effect is mild but the side effects are also mild or nonexistent”

Mmbwdpnz · Taken for less than 1 month June 3, 2020

“Do not take this drug. Had a horrible experience. Nightmares, intrusive thoughts, mood swings, apathy, angry, made me the opposite of who I am. Withdrawals are even worse so much buzzing and brain zaps. I would have rather had the anxiety/panic attacks! Still dealing with all the bizzare effects. This is coming from someone who never was on any medication. Have to take other meds just to sleep and make it through my day now. Hoping to be back to normal soon. Thank goodness for the ER staff who helped me!”

Chas · Taken for less than 1 month May 31, 2020

“I took Buspar for two days. On the first day my sleep was not deep and a I had weird dreams. On the second day I had a massive panic attack after my third dose of 5mg, and was unable to sleep at all that night. It was a horrendous experience. It is an awful drug for me.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 7, 2020

“I’m an Iraq Veteran who has been diagnosed with PTSD and chronic anxiety. When I first started taking the buspar it would generate some level of anxiety for me because it’s a new chemical being introduced into my body. I would fight through the anxiety and keep taking the pills. After about a week I no longer had to fight the anxiety that was generated by taking buspar. I started off at 5mg and now I’m up to 30mg a day. I’ve been taking it for about 4-5 months now and have seen great progress. I know the list of “potential” side effects can generate anxiety for you by just reading them. However, the only “side effects” I noticed was a little weight gain and an increase in my sex drive.( which isn’t bad for me and my spouse). I would recommend buspar to anyone. It’s one of those drugs that it will either work for you, or not.”

Drugs March 12, 2020

“I took Buspar for about 3 and a half months, and noticed very mild effects if any at all. I suffer from severe anxiety, and panic attacks. After taking Buspar I can honestly say, it doesn't do much.”

California woman · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 11, 2020

“I took Buspirone when I had a back surgery and my father was sick from cancer, it was a very stressful time. I was in a panic. It helped me immediately (though I know it is supposed to take a few weeks). I remained on it for a few months as I dealt with the trauma of losing a parent. Then tapered off and went on about my business for a year. I’ve returned to the psych because I have regular anxiety and mild depression, he prescribed lexipro, I took that for 4 days and got increased anxiety and diarrhea, I decided to try to go back on the buspirone because I know that worked for me in the past. Here’s hoping it works again!”

Keno · Taken for less than 1 month March 10, 2020

“I wouldn’t say this medicine is horrible but it didn’t help me. I feel like this is for people with very mild anxiety. My anxiety is very high so it only helped a little. Made me dizzy, and gave me a headache I tried it for 8 days and stopped. I’m now on Zoloft 25mg and really liking it so far.”

Bud · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 28, 2020

“I just wanted to say how UPSET I am that so many doctors are afraid to prescribe benzodiazepines for anxiety relief. They are putting us on meds such as Seroquel, and others that are NOT designed to treat anxiety. Buspar, like other SSRIs and SSDNRIs, are not effective to treat attacks of anxiety. It’s out of hand how too many docs are not prescribing REAL anxiolytics. Buspar did not help me. I only want a PRN dose— not a maintenance med.”

Better · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 25, 2020

“Buspar from what I read is for anxiety directly related to over thinking. This is what causes my anxiety. It’s chronic. I’ve read reviews that it doesn’t work, but maybe other people get anxiety from triggers. I just constantly over think everything to the point I avoid certain situations because I fear the outcome. This drug has allowed me to overcome this and talk about issues I have with someone, resolve issues faster, be more productive, etc. it’s drastically changed my life. Friends say I’m more cordial. Basically makes you feel very calm and more carefree and to stop thinking 24/7 about silly things”

Annie · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2020

“Buspar should be classified as a hallucinogenic drug! I took it for one day (15mg.) with Zoloft to get off Ativan. It made me lightheaded, nauseas, nervous, speedy, and when I tried to sleep I saw terrible images moving around in my head- I couldn’t sleep at all! These awful hallucinations gave me panic attacks- I was so scared! I also had some uncontrolled jerky movements of my limbs when lying down! I called the nurse line for help because I could not reach my psychiatrist! This experience was a nightmare! I also read an FDA report that stated that Buspar can cause Tardive Dyskinesia- uncontrolled involuntary jerking movements of face and body. Who wants that? Do not take it!”

acirod · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 18, 2020

“Buspar DOES help with anxiety, but it you have another comorbid illness like depression, it might feel like it is not helping on that area. I was on this medication for a few months and my anxiety felt really better, but my depression was still bugging me a lot so I was switched to Zoloft. Buspar helped me with the palpitations and chest pain related to anxiety, I felt like I could think better and even breathe better. It was a great medication. The only downside to it is that you can get headaches or brain zaps if you forget a dose, so put an alarm on your phone!”

KONNOR · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 17, 2020

“Have been taking Buspar 15mg 3 times a day for 3 months and didn't notice anything therapeutic at all, going to the doctor's tomorrow might ask for the max of 20mgs 3 times a day. Not sure if it is a very ineffective med, or whether I would go as far and say it's a rubbish med”

Theanxietyfreak · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2020

“I have had emetophobia since I can remember (the fear of vomit). For the past couple months I have been dealing with horrible stomach problems and nasty anxiety attacks. When I went to the doctor they suggested I take Zoloft for the anxiety. Zoloft was the first SSRI I tried and the first night I tried it I felt extremely sick. I went to the doctor again and they put me on prozac. I took that the first day and felt okay. The second day I took it I couldn’t even get out of bed. I was super nervous to try anything else (especially SSRI’s). So my doctor prescribed me BusPar. It is not an SSRI and doesn’t have as bad side affects. I’m taking this pill 2x’s a day and I started taking last night and am now on the third dose. I haven’t felt sick at all and I hope it stays that way!! But so far so good!”

kkheflin3 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 15, 2020

“I have been taking this medicine BuSpar for about 8 months. Because I also suffer from Bipolar I disorder I also take Lamictal, Provigil, and Seroquel. I take the Buspar three times a day and it took about a month to "kick in." I've been on several of the benzodiazepine group before for anxiety (Valium, Xanax, Ativan) and the only advantage to those is that you can take as needed for anxiety and they work quickly. They are also highly addictive. Buspar is not addictive but must be taken regularly--not just for an anxiety attack. It doesn't "work" for an immediate attack. But if you take it regularly three times a day you won't have anxiety and you won't need the benzos. I think it is wonderful!”

Chris · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 13, 2020

“My 17 year old daughter was put on this Buspar a month ago it heightened her anxiety it made her have angry outbursts. Her entire demeanor has changed she isn’t my daughter on this med. Needless to say the doctor disagreed with me but I took her off it last night . This med is horrible !!!”

Micki · Taken for less than 1 month January 31, 2020

“I took 10 mg of Buspar in the morning, then in evening. My anxiety was worse and my sleep was terrible. I only got 4 hrs of sleep and will not ever take it again.”

ScooterO · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 24, 2020

“For the first month it had no effect but after that, the results have been more than satisfactory. Before being prescribed Buspar, I was prescribed only Klonopin while was effective it had worse side effects. For me or anyone like me I cannot recommend this drug enough, it's actually changed my life, for the better.”

Mehr · Taken for less than 1 month January 13, 2020

“I take Buspirone for GAD. I'm bipolar type 2 also. Buspirone doesn't have any effect on me separately. But I augument it by venlafaxine after 2 weeks it has an affect ”

Anonymous January 13, 2020

“In my experience the only think that works for anxiety is Benzodiazepines. I don't like how doctors are so quick to throw all sorts of different psychotic medications at patients when for the most part they don't really work. Just because something isn't a narcotic doesn't mean it should be overprescribed and just because Benzodiazepines are narcotics doesn't mean they shouldn't be prescribed.”

JD · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 12, 2020

“The VA has had me on Buspar for anxiety for over 2 years, at a dose of 10mg 3 time's a day, I feel nothing from it that I can tell, I do use lithium, prozasion and paxil, maybe they dull the buspar, I don't know but I know my wife and I are sick of the up and down moods several times a year, my wife and kids and grandkids just don't need that anymore, I have an appointment in a few days at the VA, I'm hoping the Dr will allow me to explain my situation past and present and work with me, with the VA you may have 3 different Dr's in a year. Everyone wants to reinvent the wheel.”

aj · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 7, 2020

“I was on this medication for about 6 months. It made my heart race and worsened my anxiety.”

Alli · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 7, 2020

“Doctor prescribed this Buspar to me for my anxiety I got which worsened with Wellbutrin XL (I take that for depression). I used to take Xanax but decided to discontinue the use of it. My doctor prescribed me this and told me to take it when needed or everyday which ever I prefer. I have zero complaints about this medication. When I first took it, I got super dizzy and light headed. But other than that it does calm me and make me feel much better.”

Googalslosh · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 30, 2019

“Buspar is supposed to take a month to work give or take. I've been on 10mg dose 2 x day for 7 weeks and I'm MORE anxious now. Ugh.”

ALZ · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 25, 2019

“Out of the few meds I have tried Busapr has been helping me tremendously! I have initially started out on paxil then tried all three different doses of zoloft. I also had hydroxyzine added into the mix to slow down my panic attacks. My doctors were more worried about treating my depression more than anything. The anxiety was so crippling I was literally having panic attacks almost every day and sometimes more than once a day. I finally had enough and told my doctor to take me off of the SSRI drugs(I honestly don't think that class of drugs agreed with my body anyway) and treat just my anxiety. So far the results are amazing. I am now on 10mg twice a day and feel a lot better. Yeah I may have some of the random side effects that come with the meds but in my case the benefits outweigh the risks.”

Cinders · Taken for less than 1 month December 17, 2019

“The people who have been on this, are you on a separate medication for depression while on buspar? If not I can see how many feel no use from it.”