User Reviews for BuSpar

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about BuSpar.

BuSpar Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for BuSpar to treat Anxiety

"I started Buspar 2 months ago and at first I did have the side effects for the first 3 weeks, but was given anti nausea med and reduced the nausea. Have lost 12 pounds and have kept it off. Eating a little as no changes in what I eat. No sweets. And that makes me happy. And no more anxiety"

cschupp2012 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been begging for years to take an anti anxiety medication. I was initially diagnosed with depression & anxiety. My neurologist increased my Effexor from 75mg to 150mg/day to treat the numbness and tingling in my feet due to diabetes. I became manic with my driving and spending habits. I was then re-diagnosed as being bipolar. I went years without anxiety medication and had several trips to the hospital with anxiety attacks that felt more like heart attacks. I was put on Buspar and took my first dose last night. This morning I couldn't find my wig. I ended up late to work in hopes of locating it. It's not where I left it and I wonder if I was sleep walking. Anyone experience anything similar?"

Newbie Girl October 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had high hopes that this would help my anxiety but it seems like it made my anxiety a lot worse. I now experience bad nausea and trembling which didn't happen before. I also had low appetite and more severe anxiety attacks. I took 15mg twice a day for six weeks. Thankfully it doesn't have withdrawal effects but unfortunately it didn't work for me."

Moni89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Buspar for two years. The drug does not 'kick in' quickly, but once it does start working, one notices a nice, quiet calm. (It started working for me after ~ 30 days. )It's nothing like the benzodiazepines (thank goodness) and does not make me feel like a zombie with memory problems like Clonazepam (Klonopin) or Valium, etc. I use this in conjunction with Cymbalta and this combination helps me with both anxiety and depression. The only side effect I notice is that I might sweat a bit more. It is non-addictive, but as with any drug used long-term, one become physically dependent upon Buspar and one should follow a withdrawal schedule formulated by your PCP."

Zfrost October 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I augmented my SSRI Lexapro with BuSpar to help bring my initial startup anxiety down the first few weeks of starting an SSRI. I must be one of the lucky people who found BuSpar to be effective because it did greatly relieve my anxiety, especially tapering up my dosage over a few weeks time. I only had to take one Xanax over the period of a month when starting up my SSRI thanks to BuSpar."

OCD/Anxiety Sufferer (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Overall- waste of money long term because it only works for a few weeks. Exercise and meditation will be more beneficial. However, if you're doing exposure therapy in addition to, those few weeks the medicine is working may help you overcome the initial hurdle. Initial side effects were dizziness and terrible fatigue. Only lasted first 3-4 days, then you could feel the medicine start working. Buspar only worked for two weeks though. Regardless, I took it 4-5 months while still having regular anxiety attacks. I started tapering off last week, and thankfully no withdrawal symptoms (not like Xanax). That is at least a plus."

AmandaCF (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doctor prescribed Buspar 5mg 3x daily as I eased off Effexor. The Effexor worked great except for the sexual side affects and the hardcore addiction. I have nothing good to say about Buspar. I thought I was losing my mind. Felt severely unbalanced. Nauseated. Confused. Thirsty. Insomnia. You name it! My endocrinologist thought I might be diabetic because of family history. No, it was all the Buspar. Why should something that is suppose to help generalised anxiety make you feel like you are losing it? I ended up slowly getting off of Effexor and pitching the Buspar. I need something for generalised anxiety but I am scared of another bad trip."

SharonSteelMagnolia September 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took buspirone for 2 days. It definitely helped me stay calm, but made me drowsy during the day and gave me the worst insomnia I've ever experienced at night. I know trialling it 2 days is nothing for a med, but I have a family and a demanding job where I cannot afford to not get at least a couple hours of sleep a day. The severe insomnia alone is enough for me to stop taking it. I also got insomnia from the two antidepressants I took (generic Paxil and Zoloft), so I am very sensitive to meds. I will say this though, it did seem to keep my calm and better able to focus. It works in those terms. I would recommend anyone who hasn't had success using anti depressants to try buspar/buspirone for anxiety. It just might be your golden ticket."

Chris0000 September 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After years of klonopin/Xanax & zolft, MY so-called Dr switches me to Buspar& Lexapro. This is the most worthless bunch of junk medicine ever created. It just sent me into benzo withdrawals !!! Horrible ones that last days. I have to find another Dr that had mercy on me and put me back on Xanax."

Dstroyr (taken for less than 1 month) September 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I love this drug! I started 4 yrs ago when I was just starting recovery from sex addiction and childhood sexual abuse and trauma, and I started out on just 5 mg/day. Within a week, I noticed my anxiety significantly lessen. Within 3 weeks, I was able to stop compulsively having sex with a new guy every week. It helped me get my life back on track, and about 9 months later, I finally started taking it as prescribed (5mg twice per day,) and the difference was even more significant. I slept better, had fewer racing thoughts, and I stopped obsessing about my therapist as much. It didn't cause any weight gain and had virtually no side effects after the initial blurry vision for the first few days. Highly recommend Buspar!"

OliviaBat July 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Buspar for about 2 months now for anxiety from keppra. It seems to work sometime but when I get an anxiety or panic attack it hits hard. I was on 5mg twice a day and now my dose is really high. Like today it seems to have no effect. And I'm always lightheaded dizzy fogged out feeling. And my other doctor said to try Xanax."

theplacetobe234 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed this drug for anxiety I took it home and managed to take it for 2 days but immediately noticed severe insomnia that after two days made me stop taking it. On top of the inability to sleep despite feeling tired I had absolutely zero appetite. In the little over 48 hours I had only managed to eat a handful of cherries... However when I was on the drug I did notice less irritability and increased fatigue which I attributed to not sleeping or eating."

Josephw1 (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started talking this medication last Monday and was only on it for 4 days before I had to quit. I had so many of the different side effects of this drug like lack of appetite, stomach upset, extremely worse anxiety than I had before I started and extreme drowsiness during the day but insomnia at night. It was an absolute nightmare for me but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work for someone else."

Cyndi16 July 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started out on 5 mg, 3 times day and am now at 10 mg 3-4 times a day. I've experienced no side effects. I do feel less anxiety (constant worry, easily irritated), but feel it come back about 5 hours later. It has taken the edge off of social anxiety but has taken about 2 months to get there. It is a mild anti anxiety med. It doesn't make you feel drugged or spaced out. It helps to give you the ability to stop the anxious thoughts but doesn't seem to do it all for you. I have ADD as well and take Wellbutrin along with Buspar. I have taken Lexapro and although it does wonders for anxiety it also caused me to feel a bit manic over time. Lexapro also wiped out my memory. I have a grandson now and I want to remember and be at my best for him."

Alisann (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication did not work for my anxiety. BuSpar actually allowed my anxiety to increase with severe insomnia and vivid dreams. It also caused severe stomach and intestinal problems. I also experienced dizziness irritability and incoordination. There are other symptoms from BuSpar these are the main ones that caused me to stop taking the drug."

Iron Ang June 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on 15 mg of buspirone for many months. I recently lost my job and have a lot of anxiety and depression. I am seeing a psychiatrist who said my dose was too low and upped it to 60 mg a day. I still don't feel like it is working. I am also on Zoloft. I still am having a lot of anxiety. Years ago I was on Ativan and it was a miracle drug for me. I would like to stop the buspirone and just take the Ativan as needed. I see my psychiatrist in a couple weeks and am going to suggest that. I also have the feeling of a huge lump in my throat that I know is stress related."

Rockmej (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Developed anxiety and panic again after not having it for 30 years. Could have been triggered by an attack of vertigo. Dr. put me on Buspar 10mg twice a day. I was also on Prozac 20 mg once a day and Clonopin 0.5mg once at night for years and felt just fine. The Buspar made me spacey and did not help the anxiety. They reduced it to 5mg twice a day. Still a little spacey and did not help anxiety. Upped my Clonopin to an extra 0.5mg in morning and 0.25mg in afternoon. Buspar is not helping. Going to ask my doctor to change to something else. Been on it almost a couple of months. Any help anyone can give me? Thanks so much. I am also afraid to be alone at home since hubby works 2nd shift but is going to 1st shift next week which will help."

lmp1954 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on this for about 3 weeks now. At first I thought it was helping my anxiety a bit but then I realized it was just making me tired and loopy after I took it, and that's worn off now (which is good but now I realized it wasn't helping). Giving it 3 stars because it didn't hurt me except for the tired loopy feeling, and I can't orgasm easily at all. Also my appetite is gone so I've lost some weight, which is nice except having no appetite meant I wasn't taking in enough calories so I was even more tired. Basically it was just pointless and didn't help."

YETI3000 (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used buspar 5mg once every few years. It's very good for me and very mild. I tried double dosage once and I was groggy. But on 5mg, I was perfectly normal. When I get my anxiety attack (once every decade or so) my hands shake, can't eat, color of my face goes pale.... but immediately soon after taking buspar, I feel much better. Please note that these medication don't work just as well on everybody. The nature of psychotropic medication would work wonders on one person, and horribly or not at all one another person. You gotta keep trying until you find something that works for you."

WackyGuy (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I did not like this medication nor do I recommend it. I don't know if I was taking a low dose or a normal dose but I was on 10 mg twice a day. That medication made me feel very tingly, I felt like a rubberband that was stretched pulled, this was a daily feeling, it was scary. I also had feelings of not being able to control myself. For example when washing dishes I felt that I was out of control. So I hurried and washed dishes. I took this medication for about 2 months, I stopped taking it. I will never again take it again. What did help me with 95% of my anxiety attacks was to stay away from sugar and flour products. Now I rarely have anxiety attacks. More Protein!"

Nando2017 June 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm taking buspar for anxiety that I'm having due to an injury. I broke my wrist about 8 weeks ago, and I am in a cast from the tip of my thumb to just below the elbow. My Dr. told me I might be in this cast for 12 weeks or significantly longer. I started having bad anxiety and panic attacks. So my family Dr. put me on buspar and zoloft for the duration of being in a cast. So far it hasn't seemed to help very much, 7.5 mg twice daily. I'm hoping that it will start helping with the anxiety. I do feel a little light headed and I'm always tried. This isn't my first broken bone or cast, but this is the first time I've ever experienced anxiety."

Alex 5000 (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have debilitating anxiety which keeps me from leaving the house many days. Before, I would cry almost daily, even when life was going better. The little things tore me apart. With the buspar... it's like I'm getting "moments" back. I still get anxious sometimes, but I have occasional periods of feeling. ... normal. Clear. Simple, natural interactions with family and friends are possible again. As time goes on, I'm experiencing more and more "moments" of real life again, or, life before anxiety. Multiple friends have told me I seem much happier. Though I don't particularly think of myself as suddenly " all sunshine and roses", I feel like I have my life back. I'm actually living again."

J.bohannon May 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am taking the buspar but it making me feel too relaxed and giving me worse anxiety. My whole body is tingly and I have a huge headache I don't have anything else that to take but I am so afraid to take it - it is Saturday I can't get a hold of my dr. I just don't what to anymore anyone have any ideas"

Kim rojas April 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started on 5 mg for anxiety caused by my OCD. I got bumped to 7.5 and within 3 days could feel some of the terrible anxiety burn I get in my upper back go away. A month went by and I had a terrible setback with depression because I could no longer could deal with my panic & OCD. Doctor bumped me to 10 mg. Same pattern occurred.... within 3 days I was feeling better. In fact, had the best day in a while. It might just be a coincidence and therapy might be helping in conjunction with, but I notice Buspar does help with my extreme anxiety, but only when I went above 5 mg. I have not noticed any side effects. I'm also taking zoloft, zyprexa 2.5, and klonipin .25. I have endured a lot with panic attacks, OCD, and depression hence all the meds."

kytrailhikers April 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So, I give this 7 out of 10. I'd give it 10 out of 10, but the first week on this was really uncomfortable. I almost stopped using it. I started out at 10 mg buspar once a day and then after a week increased to 10 twice a day . The first week, I won't lie, was a doozy. My psych said that her patients either love it or hate it and it's pretty much 50/50 with little gray area. But since it's inexpensive, been around for a while, and is pretty safe, she likes that to be the first option when dealing with GAD. Fair. The first week, I was really, really dizzy. Felt a bit fuzzy in the head. kind of jumpy. I had to pull over while driving and sit down for a bit. BUT after about two weeks. Whoah. My life is changed. I'm no longer so anxious!!"

DancingPrancingBearwithAnxiety April 14, 2017