User Reviews for BuSpar to treat Anxiety

BuSpar has an average rating of 6.1 out of 10 from a total of 433 ratings for the treatment of Anxiety. 49% of those users who reviewed BuSpar reported a positive effect, while 33% reported a negative effect.

BuSpar Rating Summary

6.1/10 average rating

Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for BuSpar

Mr K · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 18, 2021

“I started taking Buspirone last year 5 mg a day for BPD EUPD ADHD then I stopped now for the past 2 months. I take 5 mg 3 times a day my anxiety and my panic attacks are controllable I've tried many medications as doctors don't give benzodiazepines and this is the best alternative. I don't agree with a lot of the anti-anxiety medications out there. I personally I think this is a godsend. I tried over 60 different medications and doctors call it trial and error a phase I dislike. I will carry on taking this medication and I can lead a better life than I did before I was taking his medication”

DocJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 8, 2021

“While the success rate for Buspar has always been approximately 20 percent since inception, it seems to be making a comeback with psychiatrists since they don't like prescribing benzos. Nothing has changed, this is medication with low efficacy and many intolerable side effects.”

Mg · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 31, 2021

“My doctor said that is one of those drugs that work well or not at all. I was originally put on Prozac for anxiety, but couldn't tolerate the side effects. Lot of muscle twitching and jerky movements. I switched to Buspar and it worked great. I did have a problem with parasthesia for a while, and took gabapentin to relieve it. That went away after a couple of months, and I no longer take the gabapetin. My anxiety has virtually stopped and I feel really good. I would recommend giving it a try, and giving it time to work.”

Better · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 25, 2020

“Buspar from what I read is for anxiety directly related to over thinking. This is what causes my anxiety. It’s chronic. I’ve read reviews that it doesn’t work, but maybe other people get anxiety from triggers. I just constantly over think everything to the point I avoid certain situations because I fear the outcome. This drug has allowed me to overcome this and talk about issues I have with someone, resolve issues faster, be more productive, etc. it’s drastically changed my life. Friends say I’m more cordial. Basically makes you feel very calm and more carefree and to stop thinking 24/7 about silly things”

Bud · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 28, 2020

“I just wanted to say how UPSET I am that so many doctors are afraid to prescribe benzodiazepines for anxiety relief. They are putting us on meds such as Seroquel, and others that are NOT designed to treat anxiety. Buspar, like other SSRIs and SSDNRIs, are not effective to treat attacks of anxiety. It’s out of hand how too many docs are not prescribing REAL anxiolytics. Buspar did not help me. I only want a PRN dose— not a maintenance med.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 7, 2020

“I’m an Iraq Veteran who has been diagnosed with PTSD and chronic anxiety. When I first started taking the buspar it would generate some level of anxiety for me because it’s a new chemical being introduced into my body. I would fight through the anxiety and keep taking the pills. After about a week I no longer had to fight the anxiety that was generated by taking buspar. I started off at 5mg and now I’m up to 30mg a day. I’ve been taking it for about 4-5 months now and have seen great progress. I know the list of “potential” side effects can generate anxiety for you by just reading them. However, the only “side effects” I noticed was a little weight gain and an increase in my sex drive.( which isn’t bad for me and my spouse). I would recommend buspar to anyone. It’s one of those drugs that it will either work for you, or not.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 8, 2020

“I didn't read all the reviews but I was surprised to see people with intense reactions to BuSpar, maybe they took higher doses than I did. I've taken this drug on and off for a few years and it kind of works - it's hard to explain. I have taken probably 15-20 anxiety and depression meds in the last 10 years and many have bad side effects, buspar had none of those other than drowsiness - the only reason I keep buspar around is that it is very mild in my book - the effect is mild but the side effects are also mild or nonexistent”

Ray December 27, 2020

“I’ve had anxiety for years and I kinda just live life with it , sucks but I just deal with it. I’ve taken Lexapro, Prozac and a few other ones for anxiety, they barely work for me. I finally told my doctor to please help, I’m tired of living with anxiety and she prescribed Zoloft and Buspar. It’s been 2 months and I can finally say I think I found my medication, they work for me, I feel more normal again, not worrying for no reason, not feeling like I wanna rip outta my skin, not feeling like why me . I’m thankful for these medications.”

Anonymous January 13, 2020

“In my experience the only think that works for anxiety is Benzodiazepines. I don't like how doctors are so quick to throw all sorts of different psychotic medications at patients when for the most part they don't really work. Just because something isn't a narcotic doesn't mean it should be overprescribed and just because Benzodiazepines are narcotics doesn't mean they shouldn't be prescribed.”

Mmbwdpnz · Taken for less than 1 month June 3, 2020

“Do not take this drug. Had a horrible experience. Nightmares, intrusive thoughts, mood swings, apathy, angry, made me the opposite of who I am. Withdrawals are even worse so much buzzing and brain zaps. I would have rather had the anxiety/panic attacks! Still dealing with all the bizzare effects. This is coming from someone who never was on any medication. Have to take other meds just to sleep and make it through my day now. Hoping to be back to normal soon. Thank goodness for the ER staff who helped me!”

California woman · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 11, 2020

“I took Buspirone when I had a back surgery and my father was sick from cancer, it was a very stressful time. I was in a panic. It helped me immediately (though I know it is supposed to take a few weeks). I remained on it for a few months as I dealt with the trauma of losing a parent. Then tapered off and went on about my business for a year. I’ve returned to the psych because I have regular anxiety and mild depression, he prescribed lexipro, I took that for 4 days and got increased anxiety and diarrhea, I decided to try to go back on the buspirone because I know that worked for me in the past. Here’s hoping it works again!”

kkheflin3 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 15, 2020

“I have been taking this medicine BuSpar for about 8 months. Because I also suffer from Bipolar I disorder I also take Lamictal, Provigil, and Seroquel. I take the Buspar three times a day and it took about a month to "kick in." I've been on several of the benzodiazepine group before for anxiety (Valium, Xanax, Ativan) and the only advantage to those is that you can take as needed for anxiety and they work quickly. They are also highly addictive. Buspar is not addictive but must be taken regularly--not just for an anxiety attack. It doesn't "work" for an immediate attack. But if you take it regularly three times a day you won't have anxiety and you won't need the benzos. I think it is wonderful!”

Bubbz · Taken for less than 1 month October 3, 2020

“So far I've been on Buspar 10mg twice a day for a week. My anxiety is much better than it was. I talked to my psychiatrist about taking the evening dose early afternoon and she said it was ok. As long as I stick to the same times everyday it will be ok. So I take my 1st dose at 6:30am and my 2nd dose around 1:30pm. Side effects are very mild. I take my 2nd dose early because If I take it later in the evening I have a hard time sleeping. I'm still getting used to the medicine. I take vistral 25mg if I get anxious still, but overall my anxiety is much better than it was.”

Nervous Rex · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 12, 2019

“Back in the early 90's I had been going through a few years of being a hypochondriac. I had had a severe depression, and just when I was starting to feel good, my mother was diagnosed with lung cancer and only lived about 4 more months. A year or so later I started to feel bumps and lumps and all sorts of "things"..driving to my doctors, walk-in clinics and hospitals over and over again...just to find out I was ok and this circle went on and off from 1988 - 1991. Thank goodness my doctor gave me a script for buspar. I don't remember what dose I was on. It wasn't a high dose. But 3 weeks after taking it I literally woke up one day feeling really good and realising I didn't have to fear being sick the way I had been. Like night and day. I have never been on an antidepressant or any similar drug that had such a major and wonderful effect. I didn't feel high or not myself, just the opposite. Please try it if you have crippling anxiety!”

WapoIts · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 27, 2019

“It's an excuse drug for doctor's to write because, because the drugs that actually work are controlled substances. Buspar does very little for anxiety and, depression. I feel you are better off smoking or drinking to calm you down. Thanks to government regulations everyone has to suffer.”

ScooterO · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 24, 2020

“For the first month it had no effect but after that, the results have been more than satisfactory. Before being prescribed Buspar, I was prescribed only Klonopin while was effective it had worse side effects. For me or anyone like me I cannot recommend this drug enough, it's actually changed my life, for the better.”

Chas · Taken for less than 1 month May 31, 2020

“I took Buspar for two days. On the first day my sleep was not deep and a I had weird dreams. On the second day I had a massive panic attack after my third dose of 5mg, and was unable to sleep at all that night. It was a horrendous experience. It is an awful drug for me.”

Katie the grad student · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 27, 2021

“I have anxiety from the time my eyes open to the time I close them to sleep (if I can). When I was prescribed buspar 10mg. My whole world changed. I can now function and my social anxiety is much better. My OCD is moderately managed along with therapy. But the anxiety is tremendously better. I do need to take it with food or I get very tried. But with a little food I don’t notice it. And it’s perfect for helping me sleep at night. I have panic attacks far less often now too and I’m more comfortable with this medication than the highly addictive benzodiazepines.”

Anonymous September 30, 2008

“I've been taking Buspar for two years to control the symptoms of anxiety. Buspar has worked well for me. I had strong physical sensations of anxiety such as a "knot in my stomach" and hot flushes (can't be menopause because I'm a guy). Also Buspar helps me control my thoughts that some terrible event is just around the corner and I've got to do something to prepare for this unknown event. I've not had any side effects.”

Annie · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2020

“Buspar should be classified as a hallucinogenic drug! I took it for one day (15mg.) with Zoloft to get off Ativan. It made me lightheaded, nauseas, nervous, speedy, and when I tried to sleep I saw terrible images moving around in my head- I couldn’t sleep at all! These awful hallucinations gave me panic attacks- I was so scared! I also had some uncontrolled jerky movements of my limbs when lying down! I called the nurse line for help because I could not reach my psychiatrist! This experience was a nightmare! I also read an FDA report that stated that Buspar can cause Tardive Dyskinesia- uncontrolled involuntary jerking movements of face and body. Who wants that? Do not take it!”

jah123 December 7, 2013

“Buspar has completely and utterly changed my life. I have struggled with generalized anxiety ever since I was a child, and I've never been able to find a permanent solution. I have taken Xanax and Klonopin, but those are short-acting, and you build resistance to them quickly, and they're habit-forming. Now that I'm on Buspar, I have no anxiety. None. Nada. Zip. No more butterflies in my stomach, no more hyperventilating, no more irrational thoughts. I can fall asleep at night no problem, and wake up in the morning and be excited about my day. It takes a while to start noticing (3 weeks for me), but it's completely worth the wait. I'm finally excited about my future, and I finally feel in control of my life.”

Em September 6, 2020

“Day three on BuSpar and I love it already. Feel more relaxed and not overthinking every little thing.”

HMOney April 27, 2009

“This medication is unbelievable. After 3 days, the anxiety I have been suffering with for over 15 years disappeared. I don't feel cloudy headed or unable to function. It's as if one day I woke up and my life is stress free. I did not suffer any side effects but I am also not on any other medication. I do not drink or smoke. I was opposed to medication at first, but now I am a believer.”

Theanxietyfreak · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2020

“I have had emetophobia since I can remember (the fear of vomit). For the past couple months I have been dealing with horrible stomach problems and nasty anxiety attacks. When I went to the doctor they suggested I take Zoloft for the anxiety. Zoloft was the first SSRI I tried and the first night I tried it I felt extremely sick. I went to the doctor again and they put me on prozac. I took that the first day and felt okay. The second day I took it I couldn’t even get out of bed. I was super nervous to try anything else (especially SSRI’s). So my doctor prescribed me BusPar. It is not an SSRI and doesn’t have as bad side affects. I’m taking this pill 2x’s a day and I started taking last night and am now on the third dose. I haven’t felt sick at all and I hope it stays that way!! But so far so good!”

Johnny America · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 6, 2014

“I was having ALL kinds of medical problems, severe cramps, inability to urinate, severe joint pain, headaches, insomnia, and more. I noticed an improvement immediately, most of my problems went away completely, and my joint pain subsided some. I've been on it for two months now, I feel happy, calm and 10Xs better all over. Generalized Anxiety Disorder is a terrible thing to TRY and live with, Buspar is the answer. I had tried lots of natural remedies, like 5HTP and many others. The natural supplements had far more side effects than Buspar! I hate taking medication, but I'm not sure how I'd get along without it. Buspar has changed my life. I'm not sure what started the severe anxiety because I have never had a problem with it, but whatever it was Buspar saved me.”

ALZ · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 25, 2019

“Out of the few meds I have tried Busapr has been helping me tremendously! I have initially started out on paxil then tried all three different doses of zoloft. I also had hydroxyzine added into the mix to slow down my panic attacks. My doctors were more worried about treating my depression more than anything. The anxiety was so crippling I was literally having panic attacks almost every day and sometimes more than once a day. I finally had enough and told my doctor to take me off of the SSRI drugs(I honestly don't think that class of drugs agreed with my body anyway) and treat just my anxiety. So far the results are amazing. I am now on 10mg twice a day and feel a lot better. Yeah I may have some of the random side effects that come with the meds but in my case the benefits outweigh the risks.”

Edie March 7, 2021

“Prescribed this by my PCP for Generalized Anxiety Disorder and was told that it’s an anti-anxiety drug with little to no side effects or withdrawal. Took it for 9 weeks before stopping it. The first week was terrible— it worsened my anxiety and I ended up having crying spells an hour or two after I took it. I also started to get jaw stiffness and ear popping but I’ve read that side effects would eventually subside, so I decided to stick with it. It started working at 3 weeks and my anxiety had been noticeably decreased. By the 4th week though, my sleep started to get worse and I couldn’t sleep through the night. While my anxiety was low, my mind also felt very foggy and slow and that was ratcheting my anxiety even more. Stopped taking it almost 3 weeks ago and there were definitely withdrawal symptoms despite what my PCP said. Definitely not the drug for me. That one week of being anxiety-free is not worth the 8 weeks I had to deal with terrible side effects.”

SB · Taken for less than 1 month February 3, 2021

“I won't lie, this medication metronidazole zapped my anxiety. It made it manageable after only a few days on it. I thought this was it, finally. And then it made my life a living nightmare. First it was fatigue and drowsiness so bad that I couldn't function. Then it was dissociation. Then it was an overall feeling of not being myself. And then, finally, the agitation and on-edge sensation that so many others have reported. I feel like I'm floating, detached, constantly in a fog, and that reality is no longer here. I wake up in panicked jolts, gripping my chest, unable to breathe. I have strange dreams, and that's only when I can sleep. Be wary when on this medication and listen to your body. Yes, in my case it drastically lessened my anxiety, but the slew of problems that came with it were not worth it.”