User Reviews for Zyban to treat Smoking Cessation

Zyban has an average rating of 8.5 out of 10 from a total of 105 ratings for the treatment of Smoking Cessation. 82% of those users who reviewed Zyban reported a positive effect, while 10% reported a negative effect.

Zyban Rating Summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Smoking Cessation.

62% 65
11% 12
9% 9
3% 3
1% 1
7% 7

Reviews for Zyban

Bout - ye - boy · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 30, 2020

“20 years and still going strong”

Shell · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 9, 2020

“I was prescribed Zyban for depression & smoking cessation. I had been on a different antidepressant immediately prior for 1 month (during which my depression had worsened) I had immediate relief from depression upon starting Zyban- for about a week (until other drug had left my system) In the last 3 weeks, there has been little effect in alleviating depression and NO effect in reducing craving for smoking, Somehow managed to put on a few kilos in the month I took it. Not a good drug for me.”

Joseph · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 10, 2020

“I used Zyban as prescribed in 2001 and quit for 15 years until 2016 when both parents passed away which I hit the hardest difficult time of my life. I tried hard to quit but its been 4 years and now its June 2020. Today I picked up my new prescription starting in the next couple of days and I'm going to beat this habit for a long time. All I wanted to say, the med works like a miracle. The 1st day, I had a small urge to lit up a cigarette and after puffing for couple of minutes, the taste was unbearable. Had no side-effects and loved the feeling of not being drawn to smoking every 10 min. Its one of the best meds out there to stop smoking but depending on your body chemistry, tolerance and nicotine withdrawal. Definitely worth taking it to get your life back to normal.”

Gert · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 21, 2020

“I stopped smoking on January 22, 2019. Used Zyban as prescribed for 2 months and had no need to take my prescription for a third month. This was my first quit attempt and today after 485 days of staying quit I am prepared to carefully announce ( never let the guard down ) that I think I have beaten a 30 year long addiction of 25 plus cigarettes a day. Together with a strong desire to quit, Zyban helped a lot, and I would recommend it for sure. As the King of Norway said upon quitting, I also want to say " It was disappointingly easy " ( Wonder if he used Zyban )”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 28, 2020

“I'm glad I'm not alone after reading some of the comments and side effects. The first week was fine with 1 pill a day, second week I took 2 pills a day, yes I had no cravings however I couldn't function normally, I felt mad, anxious, couldn't sleep, was grinding my teeth and couldn't focus. Today I didn't take the second pill and I feel normal for the first time in a week. I decided not to take it anymore I'll buy the patches. It's too bad because it does eliminate your cravings”

CIGYFREE · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2020

“Been on Zyban for 3weeks... have been smokefree for a week now.. still can't believe it!!!! No urges. No cravings. I'm done with cigarettes... Only take 1 pill a day...”

Emma · Taken for less than 1 month January 6, 2020

“My daughter after two weeks of taking this "medicine" spent on January 3, 2020 a day and a half in the Emergency Room after collapsing at home in an epileptic seizure when she stopped breathing. I do not wish anyone to feel helpless when you hold your limp adult child in your hand, eyes wide, without signs of life, without any movement of the diaphragm, and without heart action when you think this is the end. I would also like to thank all the rescue services that were involved in her rescue at that moment, from the fire brigade to the rapid ambulance, I am sure that without their help and quick action it would not work well! It was necessary to stabilize the heart because the heart rate was extremely fast and critically high. The brain CT then revealed four consecutive seizures, which led the doctor to decide to entrust the daughter to the care of a neurologist in a larger city. Please take this message as a warning against this medicine Zyban and its offspring Wellbutrin.”

Don’t have one · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 3, 2020

“I was warned I would loose 1 or both legs due to smoking in 1999 & my GP offered this drug only & only if I was serious about stopping smoking. As a 2 course treatment I was told I would be tested after 4 weeks for staying away from smoking. First course I tried & after 8 days began to smoke dramatically less after being a 40 a day for over 20 years. 2nd course went well and after 20 years I have not had a cigarette since. Some times I used to stand beside some one smoking for a quick sniff but never felt like restarting. If your GP offers this treatment grab it with both hands.”

Pounder October 20, 2019

“I will admit that the drug helps you quit. Unfortunately I probably slept only a couple of hours a night while I was taking the drug. It all came to a head when I had a seizure at work and fortunately my colleague found me under my desk convulsing and luckily I didn't choke myself with my tie. Scary times.”

namron October 19, 2019

“After trying everything I could find and following 40+ years of smoking, my GP helped me and prescribed Zyban. Now 11 years later I am so grateful after all my unsuccessful attempts with every kind of cessation aid I could find.”

Mike October 18, 2019

“I use Skoal (moist smokeless tobacco used to dipping) I took zyban for 8 days 1 first three days then two the rest I run out of skoal and said today’s the day I was dipping 3 cans a day I haven’t had a dip in 20 days I wish I’d done it sooner added it up I was giving tobacco company 3600 a year. Zyban 150 mg is a great drug to help stop you dipping tobacco.”

Bob July 27, 2019

“Took this Zyban to help my pack a day habit! Yes it works cravings are gone. However spun me into a rage, angry aggressive couldn’t help myself... so yes I’ve quit smoking but almost lost myself and my family in the process!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 10, 2019

“Took Zyban as prescribed for 6 days and decided to quit smoking on day 7. Today is day 78 of my quitting and I stopped taking the pills after 2 months. This is my first quit attempt after 33 years of smoking 25 a day. I believe Zyban helped a lot and can recommend it for sure, but you still need to want to quit.”

Davey · Taken for less than 1 month March 9, 2019

“Zyban ave rise to 4 years of extreme panic attacks, ruined my life during that time. Only took for 5 days. Wouldn't touch with a barge pole.”

bello · Taken for less than 1 month January 18, 2019

“I took Zyban to help quit smoking after several other attempts including cold turkey and laser treatment. It took me 9 days to quit completely, I gave into the cravings the first week but by day 9 I wasn't craving at all. I couldn't have any alcohol at first while I was adjusting but also didn't really want any (I usually love my beer). I was able to have a social drink after about 2 weeks. I thought it would be hard as smoking is usually associated with drinking but to be honest, it wasn't and I smoked for 20 years! I also didn't really want to quit, I love smoking and the social aspect that comes with it but I guess enough was enough. it certainly helped the pocket book!”

Nebraskan · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 10, 2018

“Tried expensive Chantix first. Bizarre dreams and did really scary things in my sleep. Really a Psychotic's Drug ! Made me completely psychotic and angry. Then tried Zyban and read the interesting comments. Only needed the lower doses. I was on drug for 2.5 months. Able to gracefully quit 1-1/2 pack a day habit by Nov 2006. No angry responses. Not afraid to sleep. Even lost a few pounds. Have stayed off the butts since 2006. Good drug for smoking cessation--bad anti-depressant. Cheap. Generic available.”

CdnSoldr · Taken for less than 1 month August 1, 2018

“Smoked for 10 years, a pack a day for about 5 of them. Military doctor recommend I take Zyban to quit, I was skeptical but about 4 days into the medication it felt as though I forgot I was a smoker. No cravings after meals, wake up and don't even think to smoke, it truly is phenomenal. I quit 2 days after taking the drug and stayed on for 2 weeks to ween off. Life changing.”

Never again · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 19, 2018

“Used it for smoking cessation and depression but found it did not help with depression and landed me in the hospital hooked up to an EKG all night because my heart was racing and blood pressure through the roof.”

Ajax · Taken for less than 1 month June 8, 2018

“I had my first cigarette when I was seven years old, by the time I was 51 it had grown 35 a day . I tried patches, hypnotherapy and cold turkey, none worked. Cold turkey was the worse, it gave me pains in the stomach for 9 days in a row. I eventually went to my doctor for help and he recommended Zyban. Almost immediately it worked. Day 1 wasn't the best, but by day 4 I had the smoking habit licked. For me it is a miracle because I always thought that I would never beat it. But Zyban saved me. That was 12 years ago, I now know that under no circumstances will I ever smoke cigarettes again. I can' t thank the manufacturers or my doctor enough for my release of this evil addiction”

Arsi · Taken for less than 1 month May 21, 2018

“Ok, so I started taking Zyban about 2 weeks before my quit date. It helped me with cravings and also the anxiety, associated with not-smoking was gone. No side effects experienced.”

Bill B · Taken for less than 1 month May 2, 2018

“Here it is the 11th day and I am not interested in a cig. Even after I ate. It's really weird because I don't have that anxious feeling I would get if I even went for an hour without. I lit one up today just to see if the nicotine would make me feel different. You know how it does after you've gone a long time without a cig, at a movie or or eating etc... I felt nothing. I can't explain how it's working but it makes me feel like I never was a smoker. I've been smoking for 30 years a pack and half a day! This medicine is freaking amazing!!”

Hosey O'Grady · Taken for less than 1 month March 29, 2018

“Smoked 30 years. Took Zyban while smoking for a couple weeks and kind of just forgot that I ever smoked. Mentally it made me nauseous to even think of a cigarette. Never looked back. It's been 20 years and the funny thing is that while I could never smoke a cigarette, ( I've tried a couple times just for fun and YUK ) I can occasionally smoke a cigar. Not sure why but I will say, Zyban will kill cigarette addiction. Of course you can find reasons to start again but it will be very difficult after Zyban. Worked the same for my wife. Do It !!”

Idohair36 · Taken for less than 1 month March 23, 2018

“I took Zyban in 2001. The first 10 days was fine, but once I started taking 2 a day I went into anyphalactic shock and also had a seizure, which then landed me in the hospital. I was 20 yrs old and had no previous history of seizures. Also, once the hives went away, and the prednisone and Benadryl wore off from being in the hospital, I still had skin sensitivity and seriously bad joint pain for almost 2 weeks. I know this is rare but be careful. Now, just to be safe, I tell Dr’s and pharmacists that I’m allergic to Wellbutrin/ buproprion/ Zyban.”

Pauly · Taken for less than 1 month March 5, 2018

“Smoked 30 years Never thought I could ever quit! Tried this product recommended by my doctor Felt a bit high and forgetful a bit my general patience was less But after 1 month I have stopped using Zyban and have quit 100% Really is a miracle pill!!!!!”

Smokefree · Taken for less than 1 month January 1, 2018

“Loved this product threw the cigarettes and pills away 2 weeks after starting. Best product ever it’s been 16 years for me.”

Learn more about Smoking Cessation