User Reviews for Exparel

Pain
5.9

Reviews for Exparel

kristie tom · Taken for less than 1 month June 2, 2021

For Pain: “I had a full rotator cuff tear, also ended up w/a slap tear and bone spurs to be operated on in my right shoulder. I read horror stories about pain management after this surgery, so I was naturally very anxious. I asked my doctor about Exparel. She had never used it, but agreed. I woke up from surgery and my whole arm was numb, yes my hand too, but I’ll pay that price any day. It continued to stay numb all the way thru my first therapy appt, in which my therapist was shocked that I couldn’t feel a thing as he manipulated my arm. That was 5 days after surgery. I was able to use very little pain medicine once I got feeling back. I am so thankful this worked so well for me. I just wish it had for everyone, bc it can be a game changer.”

B · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 29, 2021

For Pain: “Exparel has been a life saver for me. I’ve had 6 intensive colorectal surgeries in the last 3 years. I had exparel for all but 1, and it was the worst pain I had ever experienced. The rest I had exparel and it was life changing. By the time I was in pain again, I didn’t ever need to reach for the narcotic painkiller (that’s the last thing I would want to take for a multitude of reasons) and pain was easily controlled by 600mg ibuprofen. I can’t imagine how my last 3 years would have been like without Exparel. It’s a game changing product.”

Jen · Taken for less than 1 month March 13, 2021

For Pain: “I was given at Exparel while under sedation for surgery. I had a very negative reaction to it upon waking up in the hospital. It made my entire left side go numb including parts of my face (injection site was my pelvis), my limbs were shaking uncontrollably, it made me extremely warm then cold - my temperature wouldn’t regulate correctly, it caused ringing in my ears, weakness and a sensation like I was going to die. It was akin to a very severe anxiety attack. The worst part is that I am five days post-op and it is still happening even though the drug is supposed to be completely out of my system by now. I wish someone had told me ahead of time that this was going to be administered to me.”

Minina · Taken for less than 1 month September 11, 2019

For Pain: “Exparel is complete joke for pain! I threw away $370 which is out of pocket for an injection that didn't work at all. I went through a complex hemorrhoidectomy, perhaps the most painful post surgery that exist and was sold on this miracle med that would provide 48-72 hrs of no pain. As someone who has horrible side effects to opioids, didn't think twice about going with it. Frankly, this practice should not be allowed if not enough studies have been done on specific surgeries. I really think its a big business between Pacira, the pharmaceutical company, and the hospital/doctors. I feel cheated and regret not having enough time to do more research. 48-72 hrs no pain? Really? The post surgery relief was the same as when anesthesia wears off. In summary I do not recommend Exparel please do not fall for false advertisement.”

Rosie · Taken for less than 1 month February 10, 2021

For Pain: “Given as a nerve block for breast reconstruction. Administration was very painful. After surgery it caused insomnia. I haven’t slept in 2 days! I have severe constipation. So far MOM, Miralax, Colace and suppository have not worked. No BM over 2 days! Arms and legs are shaky. I have had 5 previous surgeries and never was nauseous post op. I’ve been nauseous for 2 days. I am retaining water. I weigh 8 lbs more than normal. My pulse is 20 bpm faster than normal, it takes a long time for me to urinate, itching and crying for no reason. This med did not help with the pain at all. I’ve had to take hydrocodone for the pain. I’m angry that the anesthesiologist did not tell me the side effects first. This med has only made my post-op experience miserable. I would have been better off without it and it’s nasty side effects. I should have just taken hydrocodone post-op as I had in the past.”

Kelly · Taken for less than 1 month September 26, 2020

For Pain: “I was given 266 mg injection during foot surgery to provide up to 96 hrs of pain relief. I was unprepared for it to only last 18 hrs. To say it was a disappointment is an understatement. I woke at 4 am in terrible pain that took hours to control using opioids that I’d hoped to delay, if not avoid. I will say it worked well for the initial 18 hrs though.”

Addy July 30, 2019

For Pain: “Great medication for me, used after tummy tuck. It didn’t take all of the pain away, nothing is going to do that after a surgery in my opinion, but it did significantly reduce my pain, thus allowing me to take less oral narcotic meds, not to mention no unnecessary opioid induced constipation. I’d say it was super helpful!”

Melissa · Taken for less than 1 month December 5, 2019

For Pain: “I was given this drug Exparel for post-surgical pain for a pelvic reconstruction. It did not work. At all. I woke up in so much pain I couldn't breathe and thought I would have a heart attack waiting for the morphine to kick in. Please don't let them talk you into this, it is a useless drug that won't help you.”

Mother of Cats · Taken for less than 1 month May 10, 2019

For Pain: “I was given Exparel for pian during Robotic assisted laparoscopic hysterectomy. My first words upon awakening from anesthesia were PAIN! I writhed in pain 45 minutes until I was given IV dilaudid which eased the pain some. I had no idea I was given this medication until at discharge, the staff said I had to wear a special bracelet for several more days. IMO Exparel for pain did not work well for me.”

Sausage Foot · Taken for less than 1 month October 3, 2018

For Pain: “I was given this medication to relieve pain after surgery for a broken toe. I will NEVER allow anyone to inject me with it again. After 8 hours, I can't move or feel my toes which along with my legs are now huge. As a result of the anxiety from this, I can't sleep. I would rather have had the pain and a regular, predictable pain pill. Awful experience...”

Flygirlzw · Taken for less than 1 month March 1, 2020

For Pain: “I was told the Exparel nerve block would last between 3 & 5 days after major left shoulder surgery to fix multiple issues. I got 12 hours of relief. I’ve had sympathetically mediated pain of my upper left side for over 13 years & it’s well known that failed blocks are a part of the confirmation of sympathetically mediated pain. I’ve had multiple nerve blocks over the years, all have failed, some before I even got home, so why a doctor would think Exparel would be any different is beyond me. So if you’ve already had several failed nerve blocks don’t waste your time or money trying this one. I didn’t like the “dead” arm side effect. Literally my arm just hung there, dead, no feeling except extreme tingling in my fingers for the first few hours. Frankly I think it’s potentially incredibly dangerous to have NO feeling or the ability to move my arm. I was quite happy it wore off so quickly.”

Sfix · Taken for less than 1 month December 28, 2019

For Pain: “We decided to pay the extra $200 for Exparel for my son's wisdom teeth removal. He had 4 teeth removed. We are on day two and he does not have any pain. My husband and I both had terrible pain with our wisdom teeth removals so we took the chance on Exparel. Not sure if he is in no pain because of the Exparel but it makes us feel better that maybe the $200 was worth it.”

KarenEdge September 29, 2013

For Pain: “I was injected with this at the close of my foot surgery (5th metatarsal oblique fracture). I experienced NO pain at all during my recovery. I wore an armband for 96 hours to alert others, in case of emergency, not to re-administer this medicine. This injection enabled me to rest comfortably, and prevented me from needing to take narcotics for pain relief. Friends who had previous bunion/foot surgeries had warned me of how painful it would be. I expressed this to my doctor and he said the Experal would provide relief for as short as 24 hours to 72 hours. I NEVER had pain so can't say how long the shot lasted. My foot and leg were completely wrapped with an icing system integrated so I really couldn't tell how long my foot was actually numb.”

Beth Ann · Taken for less than 1 month August 13, 2018

For Pain: “For pain after robotic laparascopic abdominal surgery I had the choice of Experal or an epidural injection (I had epidural in the past for open abdominal surgery). Because I use non-opioid Lidocaine patches to successfully manage post-surgical nerve pain around incisions, I chose to try Experal. Would not use again. When you get Experal, it turns out, you cannot use Lidocaine patches or cream on top of it for 96 hours -- five days -- as there is an interaction risk. Lidocaine can cause the Experal to release all at once, which is life-threatening. I did not find the Experal to make a significant dent in my post-surgical pain. At day 3 or 4 after surgery, I was counting down the minutes until I could use a numbing patch, and still taking opioid pills to manage pain. Experal may work for others, or for mild pain but is no replacement for opioid drugs immediately following surgery.”

pairsh1 · Taken for less than 1 month February 11, 2018

For Pain: “I had a Hemmroidectomy. When I came to, no pain relief whatsoever. My Doctor said a certain percentage of people get no relief. It would be nice if there was a test to see if it is effective, instead of waking up to no pain relief at all.”

KJSA · Taken for less than 1 month January 5, 2020

For Pain: “My teenage twins had their deeply impacted wisdom teeth removed 3 days ago and today is the first day one of them felt pain. Their mouths were extremely numb for about 8 hours after surgery and they had a hard time drinking because they couldn’t feel their lips or tongue. Exparel definitely worked and kept them out of pain so I recommend it for wisdom teeth removal.(They also are taking 800 mg of ibuprofen every 4-6 hours. They’re big boys)”

Concerned Dad · Taken for less than 1 month November 26, 2019

For Pain: “My son received an injection of this product after 4 wisdom teeth were removed. It did very little for the pain after about 4 hours and he needed to take the narcotics that we were trying to avoid in the first place as his pain suddenly became very severe. I wish we had just toughed it out with ibuprofen and Tylenol. Exparel is a waste of money and not very useful after tooth extractions. Don't waste your time if it is offered.”

Danny · Taken for less than 1 month September 15, 2020

For Pain: “This Exparel was given as a post tooth extraction pain injection, in upper region. It has caused permanent burning and stinging skin, pins and needles and a horrendous rash...all permanent. This drug should be banned!”

MissVicki · Taken for less than 1 month July 26, 2016

For Pain: “I had a tummy tuck and heard about this drug to help with recovery. It certainly made the first 72 much more bearable. I paid an additional fee of about $300 for Exparel. It was a very good decision. I had no side effects. I prepared to be in agony and wasn't at all. Those 3 days post op can be the worst days. Exparel is a miracle.”

WayneInIndy · Taken for less than 1 month February 5, 2020

For Pain: “I have had two back surgeries. The 1st one (for a left leg issue) I did not get Exparel and the after pain was terrible. I could barely get my clothes on and off for almost 4 weeks. The 2nd operation (for the right leg issue) was virtually an identical procedure on the right side, but I was given an Exparel injection (only one). It was a night and day difference. I had very little pain and felt pretty normal after just one week. Great stuff.”

AsheMama · Taken for less than 1 month February 19, 2021

For Pain: “I’m 27 years old with a high pain tolerance. I had a total robotic hysterectomy. Exparel was given prior to my surgery while I was still awake. The administration was *extremely* painful, I wanted to scream but I couldn’t because I was so doped out on fentanyl while they were injecting/ stapling my abdomen over and over! It was a nightmare. I woke up from surgery in awful pain. They knocked me out with some kind of medication several times because I was crying out. I still don’t have any feeling at all in my upper abdomen and it’s been 4 days. I would not say this medication is worth it.. it didn’t help at all.”

Mike September 5, 2019

For Pain: “This was used (without explaining risks) during oral surgery. My entire mouth area was and is numb. I can't eat, speak or drink. It does not wear off as the dentist said it would. I would NOT recommend taking this.”

Ken · Taken for less than 1 month October 31, 2019

For Pain: “i was in the post op recovery room after having olecranon fracture reconstructive surgery and was having trouble managing the pain. They recommended the Exparel one time injection which under the circumstances I readily agreed to. It was administered in the upper pectoral/left shoulder region. I was told that the pain relief would last two days. It relieved the pain, but for only 6 hours.”

Exparel Believer · Taken for less than 1 month May 16, 2019

For Pain: “I had a vestibulectomy and was terrified of the recovery. All I have to say is wow. Exparel was a miracle. I had no pain for a week after. By the time Exparel wore off all I needed was ibuprofen. This drug has made me no longer fear the aftermath of surgery. Just had a wrist surgery and requested the doctor use it. It’s only 24 hours out but again I have no pain. Bonus points in that my insurance covered it!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 21, 2020

For Pain: “Exparel was a huge blessing for me when I had hemorrhoidectomy and also helped with the pain of my spinal cord stimulator explant. For the explant they used it in the outer areas of the surgery not in the spinal cord area but for the outer parts of the incisions. Pain control was so much better with Exparel vs. without it. I never want to ever have any surgery without having Exparel. I did require some opioid pain relief but thoroughly believe that if I had not had the Exparel the pain from both surgeries would have been much worse requiring much more opioid medication. I think the healing actually went quicker for me because I didn't come out of surgery in extreme pain and felt like moving other parts of my body sooner which I think brought better blood circulation to the surgical sites.”

Alyssa R · Taken for less than 1 month February 17, 2015

For Pain: “I had a rhinoplasty with turbinate reduction this past Friday and my doctor used Exparel on me. When I woke up I had no pain or discomfort and it wasn't until Monday (just about 72 hours after surgery) that I started to feel a headache and some pressure. I honestly couldn't believe the results. To not have any pain after a rhinoplasty was so surprising to me, and now I am just dealing with swelling/bruising that is regular. I did supplement Exparel with Percocet, so I'm sure the two together were helpful, but I wouldn't go through any other procedure like this without it.”

Anna B February 21, 2018

For Pain: “I had 2 surgeries down in my lady parts. A lot of stiches. I woke up in recovery and surprisingly NO PAIN!! I felt pressure and a sort of discomfort. I could handle it. Wear the armband (in case you have to go to the ER, it alerts the staff you have had this medicine), for 96 hours. Why aren't ALL doctors using this??? A long acting Numbing injectable in the site where you had surgery. This is a absolute Miracle Medicine. I have had NO side effects. Ask your doctor about this if you have to have surgery.”

GM Estes · Taken for less than 1 month February 22, 2018

For Pain: “I had a hip labral tear repaired and resurfacing of my femur. I waited for the pain to show up after surgery and it never did. I did not have to take a single pain pill which was especially helpful since I have mast cell disease and narcotics can cause serious allergic reactions. This medication is amazing.”