User Reviews for Exparel to treat Pain

Exparel Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 1465 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for Exparel

Danny · Taken for less than 1 month September 15, 2020

“This Exparel was given as a post tooth extraction pain injection, in upper region. It has caused permanent burning and stinging skin, pins and needles and a horrendous rash...all permanent. This drug should be banned!”

Andrew July 21, 2020

“Had rotator cuff surgery 4 days ago, was given Exparel. Almost no post-surgical pain. Amazing. Given a small prescription of opiate that I not needed at all. Very pleased.”

Pilonidal Cyst · Taken for less than 1 month June 12, 2020

“I was given Exparel after a Pilonidal cyst removal and lift procedure. It has worked great. I only took one opioid pain pill just in case the first night of sleep. I did not even need it. I never took another and had absolutely no pain. Although it’s 7 days since surgery I am still numb. It has worn off some but still think I’m about 50 percent numb. Hope it eventually wears off.”

Flygirlzw · Taken for less than 1 month March 1, 2020

“I was told the Exparel nerve block would last between 3 & 5 days after major left shoulder surgery to fix multiple issues. I got 12 hours of relief. I’ve had sympathetically mediated pain of my upper left side for over 13 years & it’s well known that failed blocks are a part of the confirmation of sympathetically mediated pain. I’ve had multiple nerve blocks over the years, all have failed, some before I even got home, so why a doctor would think Exparel would be any different is beyond me. So if you’ve already had several failed nerve blocks don’t waste your time or money trying this one. I didn’t like the “dead” arm side effect. Literally my arm just hung there, dead, no feeling except extreme tingling in my fingers for the first few hours. Frankly I think it’s potentially incredibly dangerous to have NO feeling or the ability to move my arm. I was quite happy it wore off so quickly.”

WayneInIndy · Taken for less than 1 month February 5, 2020

“I have had two back surgeries. The 1st one (for a left leg issue) I did not get Exparel and the after pain was terrible. I could barely get my clothes on and off for almost 4 weeks. The 2nd operation (for the right leg issue) was virtually an identical procedure on the right side, but I was given an Exparel injection (only one). It was a night and day difference. I had very little pain and felt pretty normal after just one week. Great stuff.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 21, 2020

“Exparel was a huge blessing for me when I had hemorrhoidectomy and also helped with the pain of my spinal cord stimulator explant. For the explant they used it in the outer areas of the surgery not in the spinal cord area but for the outer parts of the incisions. Pain control was so much better with Exparel vs. without it. I never want to ever have any surgery without having Exparel. I did require some opioid pain relief but thoroughly believe that if I had not had the Exparel the pain from both surgeries would have been much worse requiring much more opioid medication. I think the healing actually went quicker for me because I didn't come out of surgery in extreme pain and felt like moving other parts of my body sooner which I think brought better blood circulation to the surgical sites.”

KJSA · Taken for less than 1 month January 5, 2020

“My teenage twins had their deeply impacted wisdom teeth removed 3 days ago and today is the first day one of them felt pain. Their mouths were extremely numb for about 8 hours after surgery and they had a hard time drinking because they couldn’t feel their lips or tongue. Exparel definitely worked and kept them out of pain so I recommend it for wisdom teeth removal.(They also are taking 800 mg of ibuprofen every 4-6 hours. They’re big boys)”

Sfix · Taken for less than 1 month December 28, 2019

“We decided to pay the extra $200 for Exparel for my son's wisdom teeth removal. He had 4 teeth removed. We are on day two and he does not have any pain. My husband and I both had terrible pain with our wisdom teeth removals so we took the chance on Exparel. Not sure if he is in no pain because of the Exparel but it makes us feel better that maybe the $200 was worth it.”

Jesse · Taken for less than 1 month December 24, 2019

“Was given an injection of Exparel 3 weeks ago to put a drain in my mouth after oral surgery. That area of my mouth is still numb along with 3 teeth. I hope it wears off at some point.”

Sam · Taken for less than 1 month December 20, 2019

“Was given Exparel during implant oral surgery. NEVER had any pain. For Oral Surgery would recommend always.”

Melissa · Taken for less than 1 month December 5, 2019

“I was given this drug Exparel for post-surgical pain for a pelvic reconstruction. It did not work. At all. I woke up in so much pain I couldn't breathe and thought I would have a heart attack waiting for the morphine to kick in. Please don't let them talk you into this, it is a useless drug that won't help you.”

Concerned Dad · Taken for less than 1 month November 26, 2019

“My son received an injection of this product after 4 wisdom teeth were removed. It did very little for the pain after about 4 hours and he needed to take the narcotics that we were trying to avoid in the first place as his pain suddenly became very severe. I wish we had just toughed it out with ibuprofen and Tylenol. Exparel is a waste of money and not very useful after tooth extractions. Don't waste your time if it is offered.”

Ken · Taken for less than 1 month October 31, 2019

“i was in the post op recovery room after having olecranon fracture reconstructive surgery and was having trouble managing the pain. They recommended the Exparel one time injection which under the circumstances I readily agreed to. It was administered in the upper pectoral/left shoulder region. I was told that the pain relief would last two days. It relieved the pain, but for only 6 hours.”

Minina · Taken for less than 1 month September 11, 2019

“Exparel is complete joke for pain! I threw away $370 which is out of pocket for an injection that didn't work at all. I went through a complex hemorrhoidectomy, perhaps the most painful post surgery that exist and was sold on this miracle med that would provide 48-72 hrs of no pain. As someone who has horrible side effects to opioids, didn't think twice about going with it. Frankly, this practice should not be allowed if not enough studies have been done on specific surgeries. I really think its a big business between Pacira, the pharmaceutical company, and the hospital/doctors. I feel cheated and regret not having enough time to do more research. 48-72 hrs no pain? Really? The post surgery relief was the same as when anesthesia wears off. In summary I do not recommend Exparel please do not fall for false advertisement.”

Mike September 5, 2019

“This was used (without explaining risks) during oral surgery. My entire mouth area was and is numb. I can't eat, speak or drink. It does not wear off as the dentist said it would. I would NOT recommend taking this.”

Addy July 30, 2019

“Great medication for me, used after tummy tuck. It didn’t take all of the pain away, nothing is going to do that after a surgery in my opinion, but it did significantly reduce my pain, thus allowing me to take less oral narcotic meds, not to mention no unnecessary opioid induced constipation. I’d say it was super helpful!”

Melissa · Taken for less than 1 month June 13, 2019

“They gave Exparel to me after surgery. I'd say it was joke, of it wasn't literally torture. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. ”

Exparel Believer · Taken for less than 1 month May 16, 2019

“I had a vestibulectomy and was terrified of the recovery. All I have to say is wow. Exparel was a miracle. I had no pain for a week after. By the time Exparel wore off all I needed was ibuprofen. This drug has made me no longer fear the aftermath of surgery. Just had a wrist surgery and requested the doctor use it. It’s only 24 hours out but again I have no pain. Bonus points in that my insurance covered it!”

Mother of Cats · Taken for less than 1 month May 10, 2019

“I was given Exparel for pian during Robotic assisted laparoscopic hysterectomy. My first words upon awakening from anesthesia were PAIN! I writhed in pain 45 minutes until I was given IV dilaudid which eased the pain some. I had no idea I was given this medication until at discharge, the staff said I had to wear a special bracelet for several more days. IMO Exparel for pain did not work well for me.”

Sausage Foot · Taken for less than 1 month October 3, 2018

“I was given this medication to relieve pain after surgery for a broken toe. I will NEVER allow anyone to inject me with it again. After 8 hours, I can't move or feel my toes which along with my legs are now huge. As a result of the anxiety from this, I can't sleep. I would rather have had the pain and a regular, predictable pain pill. Awful experience...”

Beth Ann · Taken for less than 1 month August 13, 2018

“For pain after robotic laparascopic abdominal surgery I had the choice of Experal or an epidural injection (I had epidural in the past for open abdominal surgery). Because I use non-opioid Lidocaine patches to successfully manage post-surgical nerve pain around incisions, I chose to try Experal. Would not use again. When you get Experal, it turns out, you cannot use Lidocaine patches or cream on top of it for 96 hours -- five days -- as there is an interaction risk. Lidocaine can cause the Experal to release all at once, which is life-threatening. I did not find the Experal to make a significant dent in my post-surgical pain. At day 3 or 4 after surgery, I was counting down the minutes until I could use a numbing patch, and still taking opioid pills to manage pain. Experal may work for others, or for mild pain but is no replacement for opioid drugs immediately following surgery.”

Sally · Taken for less than 1 month June 29, 2018

“Thought Exparel was great, did not need any pain meds for 2 days.”

Random May 22, 2018

“Exparel is INCREDIBLE. I have chronic pain that cannot be cured. If I have an injection of Exparel, I feel fantastic for days. Regular bupivicaine lasts only 12 hours - I am on day 2 of Exparel now and my pain is 1 out of 10. It is usually a 6! Loving this right now, but worried how bad I will feel when it wears off.”

EG · Taken for less than 1 month March 23, 2018

“My son was given exparel after having his wisdom teeth extracted. It did not provide him much pain relief at all. I would not recommend for oral surgery.”

GM Estes · Taken for less than 1 month February 22, 2018

“I had a hip labral tear repaired and resurfacing of my femur. I waited for the pain to show up after surgery and it never did. I did not have to take a single pain pill which was especially helpful since I have mast cell disease and narcotics can cause serious allergic reactions. This medication is amazing.”