User Reviews for Azelastine nasal to treat Allergic Rhinitis

Also known as: Astepro

Azelastine Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 351 medications used in the treatment of Allergic Rhinitis.

Reviews for Azelastine

"I had taken several other nose sprays and oral medication. And this worked immediately and now I only take it when needed."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 13, 2019

"Using azelastine 3 days now, after I use it my nose is completely congested for about an hour then gets better. My Dr. gave me this with an antibiotic. I wouldn’t recommend it for congestion!"

Eunice (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2019

"Was given this to assist with Flonase. Unfortunately, I only experienced side effects while on the medication and cut it out, ultimately, after realizing it was the cause. Side effects made both nostrils completely close up, and I would be unable to breathe through them for hours - it would also cause some slight swelling and itchiness. I recommend trying it, but if it's not helping right away, it won't suddenly start working. I was on it for over a year before giving up."

Chris (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 10, 2019

"I want to give this medication a try based on the rave reviews, but this stuff makes me sneeze like crazy when I use it. And I mean these are BIG sneezes. one after another til I hit like 10. Then my nose runs for 20 minutes after. So, while I enjoy reading the rave reviews, I'm not so certain this is a "normal" side effect. I definitely don't sneeze like this on a normal basis"

BP (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 5, 2019

"I’m only giving this an 8 because I’ve been on it for 5 days. I was scheduled for major sinus surgery and rather than doing N.C. the surgery, I decided to see an allergist. He prescribed Azelastine and Singular. So far I’m experiencing incredible relief!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2018

Astelin (azelastine): ""Year-round congestion, sneezing, runny nose, and sinus infections lead my complaints. I began Azelastine per my ENT's strong suggestion, and am now in my tenth month of use and feel virtually allergy-free. Most surprising for me has been the dramatically reduced congestion, something no antihistamine has ever done for me. And no side effects for me--a first among the most effective allergy meds I've tried--and no steroid worries. Actually makes me a bit worse for 5-10 minutes right after spraying, then rapidly better and hitting full stride for hours 2 - 10, sometimes longer. Mildly bitter taste until I improved my spray technique. I have rarely thanked a doctor so sincerely for recommending a med. I'll likely be using this spray and technique (1 spray/side, twice daily) every day for many years to come. How nice to breathe fresh air again, without drowsiness.""

Howe (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 20, 2018

"It doesn’t clear up my congestion so breathing at night is difficult. It makes my eyes dry especially at night and has a funny after taste. I’ve tried it for a couple of months. I used Flonase previously which worked better. Afrin spray pump spray works the best. Neither is recommended for long term though."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2018

Astelin (azelastine): "As a Pharmacist I tried everything I knew for chronic postnatal drip and dry (usually non productive)cough. No oral Meds and/or steroidal products rendered relief. I tried everything from older tried and true decongestant and antihistamine meds to the newer generation antihistamines and steroidal sprays. Antigen skin testing from my Allergist -negative. No itchy eyes or throat. It appeared to be non allergic (vasomotor rhinitis) that is often misdiagnosed by GP’s but common in millions of patients in the U.S. The result was immediate. 2 sprays in each nostril 2 x daily was like a miracle cure. Educate yourself about this condition that exhibits itself in a similar fashion to allergic rhinitis but is treated completely differently due to a completely different mechanism . You may want to see an allergist for the antigen skin tests like I did to rule out allergic rhinitis. Hope this helps. I have absolutely no financial stake in this product."

Rx boy (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2018

"Year-round congestion, sneezing, runny nose, and sinus infections lead my complaints. I began Azelastine per my ENT's strong suggestion, and am now in my seventh month of use and feel virtually allergy-free. Most surprising for me has been the dramatically reduced congestion, something no antihistamine has ever done for me. And no side effects for me--a first among the most effective allergy meds I've tried--and no steroid worries. Actually makes me a bit worse for 5-10 minutes right after spraying, then rapidly better and hitting full stride for hours 2 - 10, sometimes longer. Mildly bitter taste until I improved my spray technique. I have rarely thanked a doctor so sincerely for recommending a med. I'll likely be using this spray and technique (1 spray/side, twice daily) every day for many years to come. How nice to breathe fresh air again, without drowsiness."

Howe June 26, 2018

"So I've been on this new nasal spray for 2.5 weeks and I've noticed some odd side effects. Mainly that my throat has been becoming increasingly itchy over the course of taking this medication. So itchy that I would wake up in the middle of the night because I'd be scratching my throat with my tongue during my sleep. In most recent days the itchiness has spread to my nose and I have to consciously make an effort to keep myself from scratching it in public. I've continued taking this medication because originally I thought maybe it was just allergies or hay fever but after switching back to Flonase the symptoms have subsided."

Christy (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2018

"I had three sinus surgeries and can not have anymore. My sinuses were out of control, running and dripping all over the place then within 24 hours of use of this medication, it was miraculous how it targeted my huge problem extremely effectively with far fewer side effects than taking orally...and works a 100 percent better.."

KateB (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 20, 2018

"Stopped working about a week and a half after I started taking it."

oiseau (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2018

Astelin (azelastine): "I had misdiagnosed Pneumonia that led to chronic coughing and an eventual bleeding stroke. I spent 5 months in the hospital. I had a cough so bad I could clear a room. Finally an orderly suggested Astelin. I take Flonaise and Zyrtec already but within a week the cough, rattle and pain were gone. It was a "life saver!""

Allie Mama (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2018

"I was using this drips for 4 weeks , and my ayes burn and my allergic conjunctivitis always the same . In Mexico other doctors recommended Patanol or oleopathina here in Eeuu , and work perfect for me . Only one drops in the morning and my eyes are perfect"

I feel burn my eyes February 21, 2018

"I first took this medication when I had reaction to my allergy shot (at that time the dosage of the serum was increased) The doctor gave me this and it worked so I asked my allergist to prescribe me it. I've taken it twice and I still get the same reaction, stinging nose, dry mouth and sneezing fits as if I have a cold. I do have post nasal drip and sinus pain. It feels like I have a cold. The last time I took this was back was a month ago and I had the same reaction. I'm done with this."

Anonymous December 5, 2017

"Started working in a new office in basement manhattan. Immediately seemed like caught a flu. After month, realized it was allergies. When I wasn't there I would feel better. when I was there, the symptoms returned: runny nose, headache, head stuffiness, sinus pressure, lymph pressure, pain along sides of neck and ear infection pain. So I switched from exploring cold/ear medicines (theraflu and cioprodex helped) to allergy medicines. Flonase and Allegra didn't seem to do much of anything. Now trying Azelastine which seems to just to create more problems: head stuffy, ear pressure, headache, groggy, tired, muscle pain in lower neck (the ones connecting to torso). the best solution for me was leaving the job."

poiquergkjhafpogiuqerg;oihj (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2017

"I have had been through hell and back with my allergies and sinuses. I’m not sure what to do. I am too allergic for allergy shots, so the allergist put me on this nasal spray plus Flonase. I’ve been super sick for years now, and two sinus operations. Today after being on this nasal spray for two weeks is the best I have felt, because today I didn’t use azelastine. I think the allergy shot is residing and this medication is wearing off. I get super shakey and sick to my stomach with a lot of pressure in my stomach. Something isn’t right, my story is too long to tell. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. I just want to cry."

Pookiemama (taken for less than 1 month) October 6, 2017

"I have been on this medicine for 3+ months now and I am in love! I have a severe allergy to mould and was temporarily working in a home that definitely has mould issues. I started this nasal spray and had instantaneous relief from achy sinus pressure and a sore throat. It's my godsend! The only downfall is the taste in the back of your throat. However if you actually read the directions and follow them, it won't happen. If you lean your head forward and sniff gently ONLY AFTER spraying, you will not get it in the back of your throats and there won't be a bitter taste."

hollyheart721 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 4, 2017

Astelin (azelastine): "Astelin has been a miracle drug for me. After months of severe post nasal drip resulting in a constant sore, irritated throat, this medication provided almost immediate relief. Flonase Zyrtec, and nasal rinses did nothing to resolve my symptoms. I'm so thankful to the nurse practitioner who prescribed this for me."

K8tey (taken for less than 1 month) June 4, 2017

"Not sure what this is suppossed to help. Still sneezing, couching, watery eyes. Feel like I'm drowning! Been several months and finally I give up. Need better medicine!"

Emerald777 June 3, 2017

"I have had a cough from allergies for almost a year now. I was prescribed an oral medication and flonase. They had no effect on my itchy throat. I was prescribed Azelastine and immediately after using it my throat stopped itching. This cough has been tormenting for a long time and now it is gone. It's unbelievably wonderful! It did have a really bad taste that gaged me but I don't care! Next time I will try to lean forward more when I use it."

NotItchyanymore1234 (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2017

"I've been on the drug a month, prescribed by my ENT for severe allergies & congestion. The taste is horrible. I see my doctor for a follow up, tomorrow. I get occasional sinus headaches that I'm not sure is attributed to the medication."

SistaReal (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2017

"The taste is sharp, bitter, and nearly impossible to cover, but because I could barely breathe out of my nose, I wanted to see if the spray would help. After three days, the congestion wasn't decreased, and I developed a dull headache which would last all day. I stopped taking it, waited a few days, and used the spray again to see if the headache was just coincidental, but I got the ache almost instantly. I have also tried Zicam and Clear and they didn't help either; just to provide comparison, but the allergy season on the east coast has been fairly severe."

Josie212 May 8, 2017

"I wa prescribed azalastine for chronic sinusitis and non-allergic rhinitis. I used it for over 2 months without any change. If anything it made my symptoms worse"

Steveso (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 6, 2017

Astelin (azelastine): "Azelastine nasal spray has finally ended the stuffy nose and coughing that I've been dealing with forever. Taste isn't an issue if used correctly. It's much easier to wake up in the mornings without the never ending drowsiness that comes with some of the other antihistamines."

JZeman April 15, 2017