User Reviews for Azelastine

Also known as: Astelin, Astepro

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Azelastine.

Allergic Rhinitis
7.6

Summary of Azelastine reviews 7.6 61 reviews

Reviews for Azelastine

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Started working in a new office in basement manhattan. Immediately seemed like caught a flu. After month, realized it was allergies. When I wasn't there I would feel better. when I was there, the symptoms returned: runny nose, headache, head stuffiness, sinus pressure, lymph pressure, pain along sides of neck and ear infection pain. So I switched from exploring cold/ear medicines (theraflu and cioprodex helped) to allergy medicines. Flonase and Allegra didn't seem to do much of anything. Now trying Azelastine which seems to just to create more problems: head stuffy, ear pressure, headache, groggy, tired, muscle pain in lower neck (the ones connecting to torso). the best solution for me was leaving the job."

poiquergkjhafpogiuqerg;oihj (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I have had been through hell and back with my allergies and sinuses. I’m not sure what to do. I am too allergic for allergy shots, so the allergist put me on this nasal spray plus Flonase. I’ve been super sick for years now, and two sinus operations. Today after being on this nasal spray for two weeks is the best I have felt, because today I didn’t use azelastine. I think the allergy shot is residing and this medication is wearing off. I get super shakey and sick to my stomach with a lot of pressure in my stomach. Something isn’t right, my story is too long to tell. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. I just want to cry."

Pookiemama (taken for less than 1 month) October 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I have been on this medicine for 3+ months now and I am in love! I have a severe allergy to mould and was temporarily working in a home that definitely has mould issues. I started this nasal spray and had instantaneous relief from achy sinus pressure and a sore throat. It's my godsend! The only downfall is the taste in the back of your throat. However if you actually read the directions and follow them, it won't happen. If you lean your head forward and sniff gently ONLY AFTER spraying, you will not get it in the back of your throats and there won't be a bitter taste."

hollyheart721 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Astelin (azelastine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "Astelin has been a miracle drug for me. After months of severe post nasal drip resulting in a constant sore, irritated throat, this medication provided almost immediate relief. Flonase Zyrtec, and nasal rinses did nothing to resolve my symptoms. I'm so thankful to the nurse practitioner who prescribed this for me."

K8tey (taken for less than 1 month) June 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Not sure what this is suppossed to help. Still sneezing, couching, watery eyes. Feel like I'm drowning! Been several months and finally I give up. Need better medicine!"

Emerald777 June 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I have had a cough from allergies for almost a year now. I was prescribed an oral medication and flonase. They had no effect on my itchy throat. I was prescribed Azelastine and immediately after using it my throat stopped itching. This cough has been tormenting for a long time and now it is gone. It's unbelievably wonderful! It did have a really bad taste that gaged me but I don't care! Next time I will try to lean forward more when I use it."

NotItchyanymore1234 (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I've been on the drug a month, prescribed by my ENT for severe allergies & congestion. The taste is horrible. I see my doctor for a follow up, tomorrow. I get occasional sinus headaches that I'm not sure is attributed to the medication."

SistaReal (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "The taste is sharp, bitter, and nearly impossible to cover, but because I could barely breathe out of my nose, I wanted to see if the spray would help. After three days, the congestion wasn't decreased, and I developed a dull headache which would last all day. I stopped taking it, waited a few days, and used the spray again to see if the headache was just coincidental, but I got the ache almost instantly. I have also tried Zicam and Clear and they didn't help either; just to provide comparison, but the allergy season on the east coast has been fairly severe."

Josie212 May 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I wa prescribed azalastine for chronic sinusitis and non-allergic rhinitis. I used it for over 2 months without any change. If anything it made my symptoms worse"

Steveso (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Astelin (azelastine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "Azelastine nasal spray has finally ended the stuffy nose and coughing that I've been dealing with forever. Taste isn't an issue if used correctly. It's much easier to wake up in the mornings without the never ending drowsiness that comes with some of the other antihistamines."

JZeman April 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "The prescription was a terrible waste of money. First time EVER for allergies this spring (I'm 55), and as a rule I don't take any medication if I can avoid it. Eight weeks of near constant congestion in my sinuses from the allergies drove me to my PCP who prescribed Azelastine. This had absolutely no effect and it made the congestion much worse within minutes after the first use of the spray. I continued to use as directed for another day thinking it had to get better, but the congestion got so bad that I couldn't sleep at night, even with a topical nasal decongestant (I really HATE topical decongestants and avoid using them). I stopped using the spray after a day and half; I'm still searching for relief from the constant congestion."

Stuffy (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "My PCP prescribed Azelastine 7 days ago for my nasal congestion. It worked like a charm on day 1 and I was able to have a good night's rest finally after 2 weeks of pre-allergy season nasal congestion. But a few days later, not sure what happened. I am more congested than ever. It keeps me awake at night and then when it does kick in several hours later that's when it's almost time for me to wake up for work. And that bitter taste it leaves behind is horrible. I'm always trying to cough it up before it gets down my throat. I would not recommend this drug. Hasn't worked for me since day 2."

Cher33 March 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I've had a severe cough for approximately 2 months after getting over a cold. Cough is very dry there is a mucus build up in my chest. I finally went to the doctor and was told my cough was due to allergies and was prescribed codeine syrup for the cough. That didn't work. So I went back a couple of days ago and was prescribed the Azelastine Hydrochloride 137mcg. This was a miracle. The coughing subsided about a couple of minutes after inhaling it. It was such a relief. Over the last couple of days the cough has minimized substantially. The doctor told me to be aggressive with the allergies until they finally subside. So, I take the Azelastine, Flonase and Zyrtec everyday as the doctor suggested. So far, so good."

Works great!! (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Holy cow! Immediate relief. When I travel to the Virginia area from Miami to visit family, my allergies are debilitating. This is the first time I've tried Azelastine and it works. Who cares about a slight taste in the back of your throat? It's mild and fleeting and well worth it. Thank you, universe, for this antihistamine."

Lindi C. January 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Before starting this Azelastine I had severe pressure due to sinus congestion and was on antibiotics, 12 hour Zyrtec, fluticasone, medi saline sinus rinses and Tylenol. I called the Dr and he was not available and I saw another Doctor who said to stop the antibiotics, and he gave me a RX for Azelastine two sprays twice a day and for Sovereign Silver nasal spray two times and to do the fluticasone still. Right away I got relief and have been on this regimen for a few days now along with my medi basal rinse bottle. This Azelastine really helped my allergies and I will continue my daily doses along with everything else! I don't want the infection back and I have no unruly side effects! Thanks for this medicine!"

casaboo January 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Tried many different pills and Flonase and none ever worked and just made me sleepy. Azelastine is a miracle for me. I had horrible itchy nose and constant sneezing/runny nose all day, and my eyes felt puffy and we're watery randomly during the months. Azelastine is the only thing that has completely cleared my symptoms not even 5min after the spray. When I first used it, it did make my nose feel bubbly and it was uncomfortable but after continued use i don't have this issue any longer. The taste is bitter but I rather deal with that than the all day horrid issues I was dealing with. Also it seems to wake me up and give me energy when I take it. Very wierd since I don't see anyone else mention this but it's a nice effect for me."

Roniboboni December 22, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I don't know what I'd do without Azelastine. It significantly improved my severe allergy symptoms immediately. No longer waking in the middle of the night with itchy throat, can actually breathe throughout the day! I do wake up congested, but 10 minutes after my azelastine dose I'm good to go. I do take it in conjunction with an oral antihistamine as well, but not sure if I still need it...I just kept taking it since i was already using it before."

MedicineCabinet35 October 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I've had bad side affects dyspnea just walking up a few stair steps & going to my mail box up slight incline. I also had a bad experience after a alcoholic drink I thought I was getting a stroke-chest,shoulder,arms pain & shorteness of breath, after that I had some test done ekg, stress test and heart ultra sound no problem found.I stopped using azelastine for 1 week and can not drink alcohol yet because still have after affects and still have shortness of breath after any slight physical activity It also affects me breathing colder air gives me shortness of breath"

jrp378 October 22, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "It relieves my sneezes and nose itching just ten mins after using it,unlike most oral antihistamins its the only thing that has worked for my rhinitis !It has definetly improved my quality of life .Just have ur head tilted to your chin to avoid bitter taste"

Pennyp33 August 14, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Not Listed / Other: "Can this spray cause while spots inside mouth"

Anonymous August 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "it does eventually work, but immediately after using it, it causes intense sneezing fits. also, it causes the most unpleasant post-nasal drip--and try as i may (holding head down, sniffing less intensely), there doesn't seem there is any way to prevent this..."

circe801 (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Ive tried this for a month off and on. Have found some sinus relief for my non allergic rhinitis but seem to have what feels like my uvula is swollen and become very tired and feel difficulty swallowing. Still able to eat and drink but definitely notice a difference. Not sure if this side effect of medication."

456 July 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "Mold, grass, oak, ash, cedar all give me fits (mold in particular). Two meds control it all effectively (Clarinex -- brand name only -- and Veramyst) but formularies from the Govt took them away. I'd hoped Azelastine would work for me. If continued allergies, burning nasal passages, headaches, constant dripping nose and runny eyes are the intended outcome, then .... So, I'm headed back to my allergist (EENT) to try something else."

5thGenTexan (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I have pretty much constant allergies - all year I'm sneezing and clearing my throat. That has completely stopped by taking this spray twice a day. I cannot say enough good things about it. I initially had the bad taste and minor stinging. The stinging went away after a few uses. The bad taste was due to me not reading the directions! It clearly says to tilt your head downward when spraying. I started doing this and have had zero aftertaste. When it is severe allergy season, I use this with Nasacort. Works like a charm. If you're on the fence about taking this, give it some time. You'll be glad you did."

Texfan (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Allergic Rhinitis: "I had a very extreme adverse reaction to Azelastine. I took one spray in my right nostril. Immediately, I had intense nasal burning, terrible pressure over my sinuses and severe headache, muscle spasms in calves and shoulders, drowsiness, increased blood pressure. Days later I developed nerve irritation and occipital neuralgia and dizziness due to pinched nerves from the muscle spasms in my shoulders. My mouth became extremely dry with a bitter taste but luckily that only lasted a couple of days. The occipital neuralgia has been the worst part. It has been almost two weeks and I still have the neuralgia. Massage and stretching help relieve it temporarily but then the pain comes back."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2016