User Reviews for Aripiprazole to treat Tourette's Syndrome

Also known as: Abilify, Abilify Maintena, Aristada, Aristada Initio, Abilify MyCite

Aripiprazole has an average rating of 6.3 out of 10 from a total of 11 ratings for the treatment of Tourette's Syndrome. 64% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 36% reported a negative effect.

Aripiprazole Rating Summary

6.3/10 average rating

Compare all 12 medications used in the treatment of Tourette's Syndrome.

DisasterMan · Taken for less than 1 month November 16, 2020

“I took aripiprazole for around two weeks for tourette's and it made me super foggy, so bad I was barely aware of what was going on. I slept horrible the whole time, probably around 3 to 4 hours each night. It didn’t help tics at all. It only made them worse because I wasn’t sleeping. I understand that some of the side effects I had were worst case scenario but I would be careful when taking this.”

ouauto July 27, 2019

“Life-changing medicine. Tried several different drugs for Tourette's Syndrome, prior to Abilify, even one in the same class ('anti-psychotic' range) and none of them helped significantly. Except this one. It almost eliminates the tics I have suffered for years. A true wonder drug. Minus one star for side effect of weight gain.”

C · Taken for less than 1 month May 22, 2019

“Please don't touch this aripiprazole med. I would give it 0 stars if I could. It has caused irreversible damage to my body from just one pill.... be careful what you take.”

inChrist73 October 15, 2009

Abilify (aripiprazole): “I've been on Abilify now for close to 5 years. I'm taking it for Tourette's syndrome and OCD and it has worked like a miracle. Of course I give God all the glory for this miraculous healing! Yes, God can use medications to heal us. The one setback is that I've gained some weight...so I just watch what I eat and exercise more frequently.”

Thankful and amazed September 16, 2011

Abilify (aripiprazole): “My son is 19 and has had severe tics (screaming, mumbling, spitting, punching motions to name a few) for 4 years after having moderate symptoms since he was diagnosed at age 4. Last Monday, at our new neurologist's office, he was ticing roughly once a minute. He was prescribed Abilify, and the next day noticed a remarkable decrease in his tics. Unfortunately, he also had an extremely uncomfortable sense of restlessness. The doctor cut his dose in half, and my son has been experiencing mild tics approximately four times an hour since. This has been a miracle for him. He does not take any other medications. In the past, he had tried Abilify, but was taking Orap at the time as well, and had an increase in tics.”

Anonymous July 16, 2012

Abilify (aripiprazole): “My son was on Abilify for the past year and he has been tic free. I am upset because we now are taking him off because his liver enzymes are to high. I wish this didn't happen because he has been tic free since he started taking it.”

Anonymous September 14, 2010

Abilify (aripiprazole): “I take Abilify and Lexapro together for Tourette's Syndrome and the results are excellent. If you have tics which make you uncomfortable in any way, I highly suggest going to a Psychiatrist who specializes in TS and discussing these medications.”

Anonymous July 21, 2011

Abilify (aripiprazole): “My children both have anxiety issues, probably Aspergers or Autism (PDD-NOS). After 2 years on Abilify, both of them developed tics and had to stop taking it, so I find it interesting that it's used to prevent tics. Abilify worked great to stop their temper tantrums for about 1.5 to 2 years, but then its effectiveness faded, and then the tics started. My son's dosage was increased when Abilify ceased to work as well, and it still did not work anymore, and then the tics started. We thought maybe it was due to the higher dosage, but my daughter's dosage was never increased. My son is on a similar medicine now (which causes alot of weight gain) after years of trying others not in the same family. Not sure what we'll do with my daughter's medicines.”

r.w. February 1, 2017

“I was put on 2mg of generic Abilify (aripiprazole) in June 2016 for tics caused by Tourette Syndrome, and titrated to 5mg after about a month. At 5mg, this medicine worked for my tics quite well, but some of the common side effects I experienced after a few months on the medicine is weight gain, blood sugar spikes (I also have type 1 diabetes), and the inability to sit still (i.e. the need to always be doing something, because everything I once enjoyed now bored me). I would also add that this medication is very expensive. I was uninsured for a month, and the pharmacy charged me $864.00 for a 1-month supply of GENERIC aripiprazole, made in India; needless to say, I did not buy it. This medicine is also difficult to withdraw from; TAPER SLOW”

DWAG · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 25, 2017

“After taking 2-5mg of Abilify, it dramatically helped my tics at first, but it progressed them long-term. Years later I am still severely physically and mentally disabled by new illnesses I never had before. It deteriorated my mental health by causing conditions including: ADHD, and anxiety/panic disorder. I also developed Tardive Dyskinesia and Akathisia. After about 2 months, I had developed such severe withdrawals I could not get off. It was so intolerable that it took multiple drugs to counteract its side effects, and even then, they still were nowhere near manageable.”

Bunbun5433788654 December 9, 2017

“Hello I'm on 5 mg Abilify haven't had much of a change yet only been on it for 3 days ... For tics, anxiety, OCD and depression. I'm also on 200mg zoloft. How long does it take to see improvement? Please let me know... I hope it works as I've bin struggling for awhile now. Any feed back would be great I've heard good things and some not so good about this medication... I'm hoping it helps.”

11farrukh22 December 19, 2016

“well tolerated in torrette syndrome with quick results”