User Reviews for Aripiprazole to treat Depression

Also known as: Aristada, Abilify Maintena, Abilify MyCite, Abilify, Aristada Initio

Aripiprazole Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 188 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Aripiprazole

lipelips · Taken for less than 1 month September 12, 2020

“I started aripiprazole about 2 years before. In the beginning I hated the drug because I still felt pain, but I noticed my mental activity more solid. I kind of experimented other psych drugs. Today, I take it every day in the morning 5mg. It is amazing that only that little dosage makes me feel much more active and with the right mood to work. But of course each case is each case. And I don't take only aripiprazole, i take quetiapine at night and sedoxil or other anxiolytic in s.o.s. I took Invega and I think it is the worst medication ever, especially for people more weak or unstable. Take care!”

itssimplyhannah September 10, 2020

“I have yet to taken Abilify but I just got prescribed 2mg of it today along with my Zoloft. I have been taking 25mg of Zoloft because lately with the pandemic my depression/anxiety have been getting worse. I've been drinking etc.. so my doctor upped my dosage of Zoloft to 50mg for two weeks to see how I feel and added the low dose of Abilify. I'm just hoping it works. If anyone else has taken these combinations please let me know. No rating yet.”

namjoon · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 30, 2020

Abilify (aripiprazole): “I was on this Abilify for a month or so for depression to enhance my anti depressant and I had the worst experience. It made me have the most awful night terrors/nightmares and I starting hallucinating, seeing little tiny people run around my room and I thought they were going to hurt me if I went to sleep. I still don't understand why I was given this as a minor”

Slick · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 29, 2020

Abilify (aripiprazole): “If you want to get fat take Abilify.”

Sugar Magnolia · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 21, 2020

Abilify (aripiprazole): “Abilify works great for me, I couldn't even get over a bridge without freaking out, not any more. I have Epilepsy, so I can tolerate a lot of anti psychotics, but this one really works.”

Sunshine332 · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 19, 2020

Abilify (aripiprazole): “This drug Abilify made me gain 60 lbs over 3.5 years. It did nothing for me. Be aware. It will make you want to eat!!! This did absolutely nothing for me. Finally came off of it and feeling better then when I was on it.”

abilified101 May 26, 2020

“I have only been taking 2.5 mg of Abilify for 4 days so far, along with 50 mg Luvox for OCD and Depression (that I was on for about 10 weeks prior to adding Abilify to augment its' effects). Somehow I feel an EXTREMELY noticeable improvement in the deep depression I had. Unfortunately, you just have to test out these drugs for yourself. The second day, I noticed I had a newfound sense of calm and drive to do various activities like running and playing piano and hang out with people instead of spending the entire day alone in bed with no drive or ambition. Even with a migraine today, I am out of bed and more functional. For my severe OCD, I am still suffering, but I have a feeling ERP therapy I am about to start will be most beneficial in changing my brain (and the meds will make this easier). I can't believe this could be a placebo, because of the HUGE difference. On Luvox alone, I was moody, and deeply depressed/hopeless too often, and so exhausted.”

Sally · Taken for less than 1 month May 22, 2020

Abilify (aripiprazole): “This is my first day taking Abilify 5 mg. I am at work and I feel HORRIBLE. I'm thinking about going home. I am dizzy, sweating, and just feel out of it. I took it 2 1/2 hours ago and wish I had the ability to make myself barf to get it out of me, but it was such a small tab it has probably dissolved. I hate my dr. for putting me on this. I feel like a zombie. Actually found myself staring at my computer with my mouth open. Awful, horrible rx.”

Yanni · Taken for less than 1 month April 8, 2020

“I took this medication aripiprazole for about 2 weeks for depression. I saw no improvement with my depression. I stopped taking it due to insomnia, restlessness and fatigue. It seemed to help with my productivity though.”

Sonny · Taken for less than 1 month February 25, 2020

Abilify (aripiprazole): “I was on Abilify a grand total of 10 days before I had to stop. It’s hard to describe how anxious/claustrophobic/panicky/nauseous I felt in that short about of time. My suicidal thoughts spiked due to the intensity of the fever dream-like delirium. It felt like I was trapped on a roller coaster inside my own head, nauseous and ready to hurl, yet I couldn’t get off. I guess you could say my depression subsided, but that’s because my mind simply couldn’t focus on anything besides how horrendous I felt. I’ve only ever suffered from anxiety and depression, but abilify made me feel truly psychotic.”

Catathome · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 21, 2020

Abilify (aripiprazole): “This is a very motivating medication. I get out of bed and am motivated to make the most of my day. It is like a miracle for me. I was switched over to the generic, Aripiprazole and felt about half of the effect. Even though my doctor moved my prescription up to a 5mg it still does not work like the original. The generic is not the same.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 15, 2020

Abilify (aripiprazole): “Abilify is absolutely amazing. Life changing. Can't believe how much better I feel.”

Stephen · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 24, 2020

Abilify (aripiprazole): “Been on Abilify 7.5 mg in conjunction with Cymbalta and Lamictal, and boy has it made a difference in my mood. I've had major unipolar depression over the years, and am in process of recovering from a severe episode. I am able to function so much better in life. No apparent side effects from Abilify either.”

Sway January 23, 2020

Abilify (aripiprazole): “I benefit from abilify for MDD. I noticed a huge improvement in my functioning and am able to get more things done. It's not that I have extra energy, I just feel less overwhelmed by doing things and therefore am able to do them. It's helped me lose weight by increasing my ability to be active, and also decreasing my stress/emotional eating. It increased my sex drive, which was something I was struggling with in depression. Overall I recommend this drug for MDD. However, I just recently increased from 7.5mg to 15mg and am starting to feel dizzy and get head aches. Maybe this will lesson or pass soon. If it gets worse then I'll reduce my dose. But I've found this medication to be particularly helpful whereas I've tried a LOT of other meds and find no results. I am also taking lamicital 200mg for BPD/PTSD.”

Nat · Taken for less than 1 month December 21, 2019

Abilify (aripiprazole): “Abilify has changed my life in less than a week. My anxiety and depression are gone. For months I suffered from consistent panic attacks, depressive episodes, crying spells. I had to drop out of college. This in combination with cymbalta has literally improved everything in days. My sex drive is back, my relationship is wonderful, I am smiling, laughing and happy all the time. I don’t have anxiety about little things anymore. I carry Ativan on me for anxiety and panic and was taking it every single day and since I started abilify I haven’t taken it once. I am so grateful for this drug. Tonight I’ll be starting on 2 mg instead of 1 (I’m a small person) to see if I can get even better.”

Magnus · Taken for less than 1 month December 15, 2019

Abilify (aripiprazole): “A few days in of taking abilify and my depression was literally blown away after 15 years in a depression. My mouth got very, very dry so stopped using it. Now the effect has gone away but I'll start today again.”

Anonymous December 7, 2019

Abilify (aripiprazole): “Was on it for 3 weeks. During this time I had insatiable appetite. I remember going into the cafeteria and getting a chicken sandwich meal from a fast food place and then 20 minutes went back in starving and ate another meal from another fast food chain. I gained about 15 pounds in three weeks lol. Pdoc decided to pull me off it based on this. Also my tongue swelled up 2x or so it’s side and my mouth constantly watered to where I carried a cup with me just to spit into. Also I felt like I was detached from reality on it I guess surreal. During all this I managed to finish up my studies despite this disruption to my life. Currently I choose taking no meds in this family of medication and I switched pdocs. We weren’t on the same page.”

Nikki November 28, 2019

Abilify (aripiprazole): “Terrible, made me feel out of body, doctor started me on 30mg each night, way too much. I hate how it makes me feel.”

AP · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 6, 2019

Abilify (aripiprazole): “Abilify caused my eyes to roll to the back of my head, convulsions and completely killed my personality. It removed my desire to self harm but it also removed every trace of personality that made me myself. Enough to make my peers notice when I finally got off it. The side effects are horrid and have left me terrified of prescription meds.”

Emma November 4, 2019

Abilify (aripiprazole): “Abilify usually pulls me out of major depression within about a week. A life saver for me.”

Henna · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 28, 2019

Abilify (aripiprazole): “I wasted a year of my life on Abilify stuff. It turned me into a zombie, made me gain 10 lbs, and compulsively shopped -even on just a 1mg dose. It was added to my Wellbutrin to help with anxiety and agitation and sure it did help with that but I found myself becoming more depressed from my side effects. Wouldn’t recommend. It’s an antipsychotic and it feels like one. I was not myself on it. I’m not suffering from psychosis so why take an antipsychotic at all? I don’t believe in this at all as an add on drug to augment treatment for depression.”

Smile 23 October 23, 2019

Abilify (aripiprazole): “Abilify and cymbalta 90mg were such great match for treatment of depression however abilify cause such strong anxieties which we sorted out by using lorazepam 0.5g morning and evening. But abilify did help cymbalta to work for my relative, give ability 8 weeks to see it's full effect, the side effects are horrible but they all went away after 4 weeks except for the anxiety.”

pnc · Taken for less than 1 month October 17, 2019

“Did nothing.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 11, 2019

Abilify (aripiprazole): “I’m presently weaning myself off of 2mg of Abilify. I’ve been on it for 8 years and in those 8 years I lost interest in things I enjoyed such as reading and hiking. My mind races so I can’t concentrate if I try and read. I feel out of touch with the outdoors. I’m just existing. I’m not depressed or manic just numb and my sex life is a disaster . I have to force myself to have sex with my husbands and pretend everything is fine but I’m just not into it. My mind is numb. I want to feel again.... live again. My concerns are that I may go hypomanic and crash into a depression . If I crash into a depression I would use it just for those months only. I’m currently taking Wellbutrin and clonazapam. I really hope this works out.”

Natalie · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 1, 2019

“Worked great for a few months during which I exercised everyday. Then it just seemed to stop working, so I increased it to 3mg which just gave me a lot of hideous dark thoughts. Been on 2mg and I'll be getting off of it.”