User Reviews for Aripiprazole to treat Depression

Also known as: Abilify, Abilify Maintena, Aristada, Aristada Initio, Abilify MyCite

Aripiprazole has an average rating of 6.4 out of 10 from a total of 305 ratings for the treatment of Depression. 55% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 31% reported a negative effect.

Aripiprazole Rating Summary

6.4/10 average rating

Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Aripiprazole

Ravenboy · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 2, 2021

Abilify (aripiprazole): “I can't believe after trying 4 meds, recovering from 4 disorders during my 10 years of depression I finally feel free. I never thought Abilify 5mg would be the one. (Although trying 5mg was the WORST so I went from 1mg to 5mg) I suffer from dysthymia (with major depressive episodes), GAD, social anxiety, OCD, hypochondria and I'm also autistic. Everything has gotten better. I fall asleep at 10pm and then wake up at 9am, refreshed and ready for the day. All my suicidal thoughts are gone. My irritability partly due to my autism is almost gone. I feel like I have a future, I feel like my life isn't just something to survive but something to live. I love hanging out with people, I have energy to do things, I like my hobbies. I cant believe it. You're gonna read horror stories about this drug - don't let them discourage you. It may not work for you but I almost didn't and look where the drug got me. I can't even say I have my life back only because I've never had a life so good like this before.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 3, 2021

Abilify (aripiprazole): “Truly life saving. Tortured by intrusive ruminating depressive and anxious thinking. Abilify 5mg is the magic bullet that I didn’t think existed. Return of calm peace of mind. Off all other meds. No side effects.”

Summer1 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 17, 2019

Abilify (aripiprazole): “I didn't want to go on Abilify, but decided to try it because my depression was extremely hard to live with. My ugly thoughts went away and I quit stress eating. I feel I have control over my life. It has saved me.”

Mozi · Taken for less than 1 month July 18, 2021

Abilify (aripiprazole): “Gotta admit I was on the fence about even trying this drug. I have taken 20mg Lexapro, 300mg Bupropion, and adderall for 15+ years. Experimented with reducing my meds to see if I still needed them a year ago, then my life fell apart due to circumstance. The combination put me into a major depressive episode (one of four in my life). Going to full dosage helped but was still in bad shape after back on for several months. Adding just 2 MG of abilify has made a shockingly noticeable positive difference in a couple of days and now that it's been a week it's even better. I may not even increase to 5 as I was planning. My recommendation - if you're unsure - give it a try and see. It has made a big positive change for me. Good luck.”

Nat · Taken for less than 1 month December 21, 2019

Abilify (aripiprazole): “Abilify has changed my life in less than a week. My anxiety and depression are gone. For months I suffered from consistent panic attacks, depressive episodes, crying spells. I had to drop out of college. This in combination with cymbalta has literally improved everything in days. My sex drive is back, my relationship is wonderful, I am smiling, laughing and happy all the time. I don’t have anxiety about little things anymore. I carry Ativan on me for anxiety and panic and was taking it every single day and since I started abilify I haven’t taken it once. I am so grateful for this drug. Tonight I’ll be starting on 2 mg instead of 1 (I’m a small person) to see if I can get even better.”

teeno · Taken for less than 1 month May 15, 2021

Abilify (aripiprazole): “Wow! For me, this medication is amazing! Already it has changed my life! My boyfriend said I am completely different. I feel happy now! Before I was very depressed and it was getting so bad that I was getting very angry and lashing out at people and being threatening.. so that's originally why I was prescribed this medication. I also take an antidepressant. But wow, it has helped so much more than my anger. I don't feel depressed anymore and I actually want to live. I am so happy! 10/10!!!!”

Exdancer · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 9, 2021

Abilify (aripiprazole): “I've had abilify added to my antidepressants for several years now and it really helps. This month it was suggested I try stopping the abilify and I've slowly become terribly depressed again. Still on my antidepressants but sad, tearful, like a lonely and lost soul. I’m going to restart it ASAP along with my antidepressants.”

Maggie · Taken for less than 1 month June 18, 2019

Abilify (aripiprazole): “I am very happy with Abilify. My doctor added 2 mg on top of the 20 mg Lexapro. I have been very depressed after my husband passed away 2 years ago. This past January I noticed more and more I wouldn't get out of bed or I would come home from work and just sleep. I hated everything and had a "I don't care" attitude. I sobbed all the time and I was starting to miss work. With Abilify I woke up and feel very happy. I am alert and life seems normal again! I know everyone is different but for me it works!”

Athena · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 30, 2019

Abilify (aripiprazole): “I have been using Abilify for a month due to depression and suicidal thoughts. This drug has turned things around for me. I no longer get suicidal urges and I feel better and have a more positive outlook. I have lost nearly 10lbs in a month because it has majorly suppressed my appetite. It does on occasion interfere with my sleep. It also does make me antsy and restless, as if I always have to be doing something. But that has been somewhat of a good thing because my focus has increased and now I can stay on task and see things through more so than before. I am so glad this medicine is working for me.”

HRubio2018 · Taken for less than 1 month June 10, 2021

Abilify (aripiprazole): “I have been on 2mg of Abilify on top of 450mg Wellbutrin XL for two weeks now… have been on Wellbutrin for a decade and it never seemed to truly nip my MDD down. Let me tell you, I’m the angry, irritable kind of depressed person and it has helped me quite a lot thus far but I’m increasing up to 5mg tomorrow. I’m excited to just take the medication because I know it helps me and I’m so stoked to go to 5mg! It’s a wonder drug for me and I feel like I’m getting my life back.”

Catathome · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 21, 2020

Abilify (aripiprazole): “This is a very motivating medication. I get out of bed and am motivated to make the most of my day. It is like a miracle for me. I was switched over to the generic, Aripiprazole and felt about half of the effect. Even though my doctor moved my prescription up to a 5mg it still does not work like the original. The generic is not the same.”

Liv March 11, 2019

Abilify (aripiprazole): “I cannot express how much Abilify has already changed my life and it has only been a week. I feel reborn. Before being prescribed this med I felt hopeless, depressed, and my anxiety was terrible. I thought I could never be happy, but I already feel like a new person. I see sunshine and look at life totally different.”

Rodisms November 25, 2014

Abilify (aripiprazole): “Abilify has worked wonders for me. I told my doctor that I just didn't seem to care if I did things or not, and that things just didn't bother me enough to make me want to fix them. She gave me Abilify and even though I had my doubts that anything would work, 3 days after starting taking them, I found myself not wanting to stay still long enough to watch a whole TV show, because I felt there was better things I could be doing. I have been cleaning, rearranging, and packing away things every day since it took effect. I have never been one to want to do stuff. I would do what needed doing, but nothing more. Now, I just want to do it all. Love this stuff.”

Happy · Taken for less than 1 month May 23, 2019

Abilify (aripiprazole): “I've only been taking Abilify ( added to Venaflaxine) for 16 days, but I LOVE it. I can't believe the difference it's made to my depression. I haven't felt this normal in YEARS!!! I'm actually happy again, I want to get out of bed and start my day, I want to do things instead of just lay in bed all the time. Obviously everyone reacts to medication differently but my appetite is actually less. I am losing weight. I actually go to sleep at night, now I only need 5-6 hours of sleep and I'm good to go, ready to start the day. Maybe this is why I sleep at night now. Lol! I don't know and I don't care I'm just so happy my doctor recommended this medication. I hope things don't change. I don't have insurance but with coupon was only $30.”

Regina September 7, 2016

Abilify (aripiprazole): “I read these reviews for over a month before even taking these meds. I will say this, you just have to go for it. Best decision I've made in a VERY long time. Abilify has helped me in so many ways! I was at my lowest point. I was severely depressed. I've been taking this medication for over a month & hands down I feel great. Yes I still have my days but they are for sure getting better.. All I want to say is do NOT let what other people say stop you from getting better. Try it for at least 6 wks & judge for yourself. At this point weight gain is welcomed for me. I lost so much weight I'd like to gain at least 30 lol. I am just happy to feel "NORMAL" again. I hope all of you get better. Stay Strong & never give up. Stay Blessed ”

Stephen · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 24, 2020

Abilify (aripiprazole): “Been on Abilify 7.5 mg in conjunction with Cymbalta and Lamictal, and boy has it made a difference in my mood. I've had major unipolar depression over the years, and am in process of recovering from a severe episode. I am able to function so much better in life. No apparent side effects from Abilify either.”

Sonny · Taken for less than 1 month February 25, 2020

Abilify (aripiprazole): “I was on Abilify a grand total of 10 days before I had to stop. It’s hard to describe how anxious/claustrophobic/panicky/nauseous I felt in that short about of time. My suicidal thoughts spiked due to the intensity of the fever dream-like delirium. It felt like I was trapped on a roller coaster inside my own head, nauseous and ready to hurl, yet I couldn’t get off. I guess you could say my depression subsided, but that’s because my mind simply couldn’t focus on anything besides how horrendous I felt. I’ve only ever suffered from anxiety and depression, but abilify made me feel truly psychotic.”

Echrapy7 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 2, 2019

Abilify (aripiprazole): “My life has changed so much for the better, I am my self again!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I highly recommend this medication. I suffer with ADD, depression, and I take sertraline along with the generic form of abilify. I noticed a difference after the first week. Stick to it people, I promise you, you're missing out on a great life here”

Stanley · Taken for less than 1 month July 1, 2019

Abilify (aripiprazole): “My primary diagnosis is OCD with anxiety, but for the last six months I've been in a deep depressive episode, consumed by intrusive thoughts and hopelessness. Note: I was not on any medication at the time. My psych suggested that I try Abilify, taken alone. I was highly skeptical of it working, especially at such a low dose (2 mg). However, on day three, it was like someone had flipped a switch in my brain and suddenly I was able to see the positive or neutral side of things, not just the negative. I didn't realize just how depressed I had been until this medication helped lift me up. My OCD symptoms are still there but my improved mood allows for me to handle them much better. No weight gain so far. Decreased appetite. Mild insomnia that seems to be fading after two weeks. Some increased desire to shop, but I'm trying to be conscious of and stop any impulses.”

Morgan · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 26, 2018

Abilify (aripiprazole): “I have ADHD and treatment resistance Major Depressive Disorder. I have tried just about every medication to treat my depression and nothing worked for the past 15 years. This year my doctor rx'ed me 5 mg of Abilify to add with Vyvanse and Wellbutrin. I can say for the first time in my life; I'm not depressed. I have never felt this happy before. I'm not used to being happy and keep waiting for something bad to happen and relapse, but day by day passes and I still feel AMAZING!!!”

Sally · Taken for less than 1 month May 22, 2020

Abilify (aripiprazole): “This is my first day taking Abilify 5 mg. I am at work and I feel HORRIBLE. I'm thinking about going home. I am dizzy, sweating, and just feel out of it. I took it 2 1/2 hours ago and wish I had the ability to make myself barf to get it out of me, but it was such a small tab it has probably dissolved. I hate my dr. for putting me on this. I feel like a zombie. Actually found myself staring at my computer with my mouth open. Awful, horrible rx.”

J · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 8, 2021

Abilify (aripiprazole): “I took Abilify 10mg for several years. It really helped me stabilize my moods and get my depression under control and took away a to of my urges of self harming behaviors. I have found Abilify much more helpful than any other traditional SSRI/antidepressant I have tried in the past like Lexapro, Prozac, and Zoloft. None of those medications really made a significant impact. The reason I stopped taking Abilify is because of the weight gain. Personally, antipsychotic medications have always cause weight gain for me. I gained about 50 pounds while on Abilify. I switched to 50mg Lamictal and have started losing some of the weight. Abilify can really be life changing, but you just have to be aware of the possible side effects.”

Johnson232323 June 26, 2014

Abilify (aripiprazole): “I was really hesitant to take Abilify after being on Zoloft and later Wellbutrin without noticing effects, but I did anyways and within a few days I started noticing effects. I feel surprisingly good now. I find myself doing chores like washing dishes or my laundry and realize that usually I would just slump around saying "I'll do it tomorrow" until I'm nearly out of clean clothes or dishes. I find myself singing to songs on the radio and my mood is not only noticeably better -- but remarkably and incredibly better. I haven't noticed any side effects except maybe that I'm a bit hungrier than usual -- for instance, I'll feel hungry and get a meal but not be able to finish it. So far, excellent results. Only about 2 weeks in.”

Sway January 23, 2020

Abilify (aripiprazole): “I benefit from abilify for MDD. I noticed a huge improvement in my functioning and am able to get more things done. It's not that I have extra energy, I just feel less overwhelmed by doing things and therefore am able to do them. It's helped me lose weight by increasing my ability to be active, and also decreasing my stress/emotional eating. It increased my sex drive, which was something I was struggling with in depression. Overall I recommend this drug for MDD. However, I just recently increased from 7.5mg to 15mg and am starting to feel dizzy and get head aches. Maybe this will lesson or pass soon. If it gets worse then I'll reduce my dose. But I've found this medication to be particularly helpful whereas I've tried a LOT of other meds and find no results. I am also taking lamicital 200mg for BPD/PTSD.”

TexasSunshine January 10, 2016

Abilify (aripiprazole): “I've been suffering with dibilitating depression, anxiety, and OCD for over 20 years. I've was in remission for 8 years, but this time it came back with a vengeance! I was really losing hope. I have tried every single antidep out there, and the ones that worked very well before, don't work anymore. I've been on a roller coaster and fighting for over 7 years to get my life back. It's been a living hell. I could hardly get out of bed, taking a shower was too much, even putting my seatbelt on seemed like a chore. If you have ever suffered, you know what I'm talking about! I was put on Abilify to help with my Effexor just three days ago and I already feel like I can conquer the world...I just pray it lasts! ”