User Reviews for Prevpac

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Prevpac.

Prevpac Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 49 medications used in the treatment of Helicobacter Pylori Infection.

Reviews for Prevpac to treat Helicobacter Pylori Infection

"Given Prevpac for H. Pylori. Within 48 hrs of ending the full course of medication I experienced an anaphylactic reaction. Large, round, flat hives formed on the soft of my arms and inner thighs. My hands began to swell, and then I felt my face begin to swell. The swelling moved from left to right across my face, and it eventually began to close my throat and enlarge my tongue. My husband drove me to an urgent care center where I received a shot of Kenalog and a Medrol dose pack. I always list Prevpac as a medicine of which I am allergic."

tulsa gal November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started the pack this evening. Within half an hour of taking the 4 pills, followed by a complete healthy dinner, my throat tightened up. Couple minutes later I started to glow and had a warm sensation all over. This turned to an aggressive itch and after about another 5 or so minutes I had trouble breathing. The skin sensation turned into an unbearable burning sensation all over. I ended up on the floor and my wife called 911. Paramedics came, blood pressure and pulse went OTT. Paramedics thought it was a allergic reaction, gave me benedril to counter the effect and about 15 minutes later my throat started to relax, the glow and red skin started to subside and he itching and tingling started to calm down. Better luck next time."

Rescue Ranger October 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Don't be afraid to take the PrevPac for h. pylori. I have suffered for a month with pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. I'm on only day 3 of a 14 day treatment and I am almost back to my old self again! Many people complain about the side effects, but all I have experienced is a slight metal taste in my mouth at times - so worth being almost well."

JEB* August 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am on triple therapy for 14 days, second time in 2 years. I'm 5th day in. First 3 were brutal. I couldn't even dress myself was too weak. My inside feel tender but I'm not as tired can work and sleep. My question is I have that metallic taste and now my tongue is light grey. Anyone experience this?"

Second time (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had bad reflux, night nausea and heartburn for nearly 7 months before being diagnosed with an endoscopy. Only on Day 3 of therapy (Amoxicillin, Clarithromycin, and Omeprazole). Side Effects : Mild nausea, no strange taste, but I do get thirsty and I have had quite bad stomach pain (bloating, gas etc) and back pain. I was also very scared to take these meds after reading all the comments but so far so good. Most annoying thing is having to take so many meds at one time! Hoping I have no new side effects. I do take a probiotic and anti nausea pills twice per day with the antibiotics and I do take the antibiotics with food. I really hope that after the 14 days I am cured as I don't want to have to do this again!"

SA Girl May 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am not fond of meds, so I wasted 3 months doing Dr Google on natural approaches. It didn't work, as I continue having stomach pain, reflux, bloated, etc. On desperation I went to the doctor and he confirmed I had HP. I'm on day 6, and feel miserable with the side effects. Insomnia, high pulse rate, stress,etc. However my gut seems to be better. Can eat better. I will take the probiotics, seems to help. Good luck"

Albert45 April 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had severe vomiting and diarhoea for 3 days caused by clarythromycin. After being treated for dehydration at the hospital, clarythormycin was replaced with doxycycline, and I have no problems since."

lornaland (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Day 4 and it's starting to work. I tested positive for H Pylori after noticing bloating and pain after a trip to China in 2009. I was given Prevpac in 2009 but never ended up taking it due to a separate illness (it was a bad year). Ended up ignoring H Pylori until recently due to it getting so bad I have begun staying bedridden on weekends and feeling nauseous all the time. Energy has been zapped as well as chest pains and other weird sensations. Went back to the doctor and got the script again. Started Friday - the first few days were a little rough with nausea (always take with food!) but it's getting better. I feel much more energy and the constant stomach pain has minimized dramatically. Fingers crossed this is the solution."

pleek January 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am on day 5 of taking this medication I was feeling fine but now I am experiencing severe lower back pain. It seems to come and go. I am going to call my doctor to see if this is a common side effect and if it means something bad is happening due to the meds. Whatever the doctor says I will report back here."

Kas123 (taken for less than 1 month) January 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After reading some reviews I was skeptical when I picked this medicine up from the pharmacy but decided to give it a try. I just finished my 14 day treatment of prevpac and I did not experience any side effects from the treatment. I took 4 pills every morning with oatmeal and toast at 6am, then took the other 4 with my evening meal at 6pm. When I arrived at work around 830am I ate a cup of activia yogurt with water. At lunch time I ate a small lunch and took one Phillips colon health probiotic. At 4 pm I ate another cup of yogurt. I hope this helps someone with the medication. Hopefully this treatment cured my H pylori!!!"

Feeling better!!! (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Not too bad, this is my second time taking the medication. The first time I was given lansoprazole, amoxicillin and METRONIDAZOLE which I had major side effects and after reading horror story reviews I stopped at day 5 of 7. Later found out it was the metronidazole that caused my horrible side effects. Now I'm on the course again, but instead of metronidazole I was prescribed CLARITHROMYCIN which IS SO MUCH BETTER!!! Apart from the occasional nausea and metallic/bitter taste, I've had no other side effect and it's helped increase my appetite. I'm on day 4 of 7 now, and have high hopes for this drug. Will update after I finish the treatment."

VW (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had ulcers, stomach pain and digestive issues for 6 years. Doctors were no help always prescribing PPI's or H2 Blockers. Emergency Doc gave me Prevpac. I have experienced minimal side effects. I had diarrhea once so far. I'm on day 9 and I have been taking a 50 billion probiotic at lunch and a 20 billion probiotic at bedtime. My 50 billion probiotic has to be refrigerated. Overall I am feeling pretty good. No stomach pain and my bowel movements are normal for the first time in my life. Even though I hate antibiotics this on seems to be working well. I will however wean myself off the Previcid so avoid rebound acid. Oh and all meds affect me, but this one is ok. Anything is better that what I have had to deal with over the years."

MJEC November 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been prescribed this for the second time. (First time Metronidazole, Lansoprazole and amoxicillin with severe side effects so I had to stop taking it, including nausea 97% of the time, abdominal cramps, loss of appetite). This is a 7 day treatment. Just finished day 1 of the medication. Took my first dose this morning, had no side effects for 4 hours. I went back to sleep and woke up with a STRONG metallic taste in my mouth that I couldn't flush out. Taken my second dose after dinner and now suffering from upper back pain on my left side. Not sure if it's a side effect from the medication. Also my guts are moving a lot more as if there's wind trapped inside. These are side effects I can handle for 7 days, hoping I don't get severe nausea"

VincciW November 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am halfway through treatment for HPilori bacterial infection. I haven't experience side effects like some have mentioned because I was told to take PROBIOTICS while on this treatment to put good bacteria back in my system. I had previously had treatment for another problem and took antibiotics but not a probiotic and had awful side effects that took time to clear up. This time when I took probiotics with the BP Pac the results were excellent! I only have the acid taste in my mouth and feel a little tired but otherwise no other side effects. Wonderful!! The probiotic should be taken between the two doses and not with the dose."

Flygirl63 August 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First of all, believe that the doctor had evaluated and decided that this drug has more benefits than the side effects for you. Every medicine has side effects. I completed my 14 days of prevpac today. I was having unexplained upper right stomach pain and sometimes diarrhea once or twice in a week. Initially thought its gallstones - but ultrasound confirmed its not. All blood work was normal. Upper endoscopy did not figure out any ulcers. Finally,did a stool test and confirmed the presence of h.pylori antigen and i was recommended prevpac for 14 days. I had few side effects. Headache in the evening,Mild stomach cramps, Bitter taste in mouth (specifically in the morning). Im feeling perfect nw. Be positive and that supplements the med"

Muralilee2000 (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Reading these reviews and at least good to know im not the only one who has struggled with H. Pylori. Saw multiple doctors...all brushed it off. Was finally scheduled for an upper endoscopy. Prior to the appt felt the worst ever. Symptoms over months had progressed from stomach pain and acid reflux (managed with 40mg prilosec twice a day) to fatigue, burping, chest pains, liver and spleen pain, feeling confused and delirious, diarrhea. Finally a walkin clinic dr ordered a stool sample test. Im on day 3 of PrevPac and feeling better. Metallic taste in the AM bug goes away. Loading up on probiotics...highly reccommended. Definately need to take with food. Ill have to retest in about a month but hoping this works! Best of luck to everyone!!!"

Finally some relief August 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I will take this medicine the rest of my life if it means no more bacteria. I know that's an exaggeration. I have had diarrhea everyday, which is burning my skin around my Anus. I can live with anything as long as I'm on the right path to recovery. The diarrhea occurs all day long, without much time to get to the bathroom. But I expect many bowel movements since I'm ridding myself of a digestive bacteria. I highly recommend this medicine pack, with positive thoughts of 100% recovery in my near future."

TammyLittell July 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For the first week I was in excruciating pain: nausea, severe abdominal pain, diarrhea, sweating, insomnia, confusion, extreme exhaustion and fatigue, battery acid taste in my mouth, etc. I reached out to my doctor and pharmacist who offered absolutely no help. Through research I found that taking probiotics/yogurt helps with EVERYTHING, stay as hydradated as you can. I ate a lot of Ramen noodles to compensate for actual food/water since my appetite was non-existant. I didn't think I was going to be able to finish the treatment. If I test positive again, I'm going with natural remedies."

Melana May 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"PEOPLE PLEASE DONT COME HERE TO GET FEAR INSTILLED IN YOU ABOUT THIS MEDICINE. Other People experiences may NOT EVER happen to you. I didn't take it for a whole year because of these kind of websites.. Let's put this out there I DO NOT LIVE A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE. I eat fried food, I eat out a lot (hence, why I think I got the bacteria) I barely workout and I'm considered overweight. (NOT BRAGGING JUST BEING TRUTHFUL) And the medicine still worked for me. If your dealing with horrific side effects 9/10 you we're probably dealt with those things one or another without medication. For the nausea (eat 1/2 a toast before taking it) For the insomnia ( don't take it right before you go to bed 2-3 hours in advance) Metal taste goes away after you eat"

READ ME!!! May 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Yearlong pain was gone by day 3. But on day 4, the horrible side effects started. The awful taste in my mouth at all times, worsening constipation, headband headache, and up all night with insomnia. If it wasn't worth it to get rid of this stomach infection, I would quit taking this med. That's how bad these side effects combined are for me. If it was just one, and not at all the up all night insomnia, I would be much better."

VanessaFas (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"On Day 6 of the 14 day treatment. The side effects I've experienced haven't been too bad: the bad taste in your mouth (usually at night and first thing in the morning), hard time staying asleep (insomnia), yellow stools, and some left side aches which I think may have to do with constipation. I'm sure I would be worse if I didn't take a probiotic with every dose of these meds."

H.S. MI (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Two years ago I began having symptoms of H Pylori. The first episode lasted about 20 minutes. It was a terrible pain in my upper abdomen. The pain was more intense than gas pain, but I wrote it off as such. After that, every 3 months or so I would be woken up by the same terrible pain and I always knew I wasn't getting sleep that night as it would last 4-6 hours and I could not get comfortable. I had one of those night episodes, but the pain wouldn't go away. It wasn't constantly the same degree of pain, some times it would be a churning pain, a bloated pain, or a general soreness. After a week, went to the doctor and was tested positive for H Pylori. There was a huge difference/day 3 and the pain was just about gone/day 4. Amazing"

42yo Female (taken for less than 1 month) December 27, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a 31 year old female. I was given PrevPac to get rid of H pylori, which was the underlying cause of my chronic gastritis & terrible pain and discomfort in my chest from reflux & inflammation. I just completed the 14 day PrevPac kit. This treatment definitely works and I feel 100% better now that it's over. It takes time for it to fully kick in though. I started feeling relief at day 5 & felt 100% better at day 10. To me, my experience wasn't AS BAD as some of the reviews I read prior to starting the medication. Based on suggestions I read, I took a daily probiotic, which helped a lot with the side effects, so I recommend that. The one constant symptom was the metallic taste in my mouth, especially when first waking up. But all I had to do was drink something and it went away. I had diarrhea a couple times, but nothing extreme. A few stomach aches/cramps as well. At the very end, I developed a little yeast infection (which can happen when taking antibiotics) but I easily got rid of it with over the counter meds. The side effects are very bearable. Overall, the most annoying thing for me was having to take so many pills at once and in one day and also the cost. After my insurance paid their part, I paid $75 dollars, which to me is a lot. But the packaging said before insurance it was about $750."

DMae November 24, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Today is day 1 of my treatment for h pylori "

Jeanette944 November 18, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm on day three of prevpac and was prescribed four pills equally for h pylori and costing $841.00.I haven't had any major side effects besides swollen eye lids that went away in the morning . I was scared to take it after reading alot of reviews, but it's worth the shot if it'll cure my stomach pains that I've had for 11 years!"

J Marie November 3, 2015