User Reviews for Elavil

Chronic Myofascial PainNot rated - Add rating1 review 42 medications
Summary of Elavil reviews 7.6 138 reviews

Reviews for Elavil

Nlil · Taken for less than 1 month July 3, 2019

For Pain "Was prescribed a low doses for my IBS related pain. It did help my stomach but suffered badly with the side effects. Would take at night before bed but in the the daytime I’d experience shakes, anxiety, had severe trouble focussing and could barely string sentences together so stopped taking it two days ago. Still suffering bad shakes and difficulty concentrating. Be very careful with it."

Sam · Taken for less than 1 month May 30, 2019

For Insomnia "This is a terrible drug. Took Elavil 25g as was prescribed arthritis pain which would also help with insomnia. Put me in a hazy not a full sleep with vivid scary nightmares which were very disturbing and terrifying. My heart was pounding loudly in my chest, sweating, unable to feel anything, felt totally spaced out until six the following evening. Shaky, nervous and very anxious. Could not safely drive as I felt drunk. Take my advise keep away from this drug it’s scary and frightening."

Jims May 29, 2019

For Fibromyalgia "Taking Elavil pills at bed time around 10 to 11pm. First pill made me sleep for two days. 2nd pill less tired but slept all day. 3rd pill slept all day. 4th to 7th pill less tired but no relief of pain, actually an increase of pain in lower back and tightness in shoulders and neck. Not sure If I'll take anymore! Other meds being used: Tizanidine, Armodafinil, Basaglar - long acting insulin (other diabetic meds make me sick) -lower back pain -muscle tightness -sweating - increased hot flashes -(I wish) fruit-like breath odor -increased hunger -loss of consciousness - lack of concentration, find myself just drifting off watching shows. I usually have a busy mind, even with brain fog, I usually have a show on while doing 2-3 other things. I have a high IQ and like to use it, but with this med it dumbs me down significantly."

Ell 2019 · Taken for less than 1 month April 18, 2019

For Interstitial Cystitis "Finally have relief of 3 years relentless pain from interstitial cystitis. The grogginess and constipation only downside. Made remarkable difference to urgency and pain. Feel a new women. Thought I’d never have relief ! Thank you "

smack · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 6, 2019

For Pain "I started this drug as a migraine prevention treatment, beginning with 10 mg and moving up to 50. I also have fibromyalgia. This medication did not help me whatsoever with the migraines or the fibro. Thankfully, it does help with insomnia but I was really super disappointed that I didn't get any headache relief. It also makes me feel stupid because I'm constantly hungover and tired during the day."

smack · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 6, 2019

For Insomnia "Amitriptyline has been a godsend for my insomnia. I get a really good sleep eight nights out of 10 with this medication. Started with 10 mg and moved up to 50 mg. It gives me a hangover during much of the next day and I always have to take a nap in the late afternoon but without it I can't sleep at all."

shawn zandi · Taken for less than 1 month September 7, 2018

"My experience with elavi 10 mg is that my chronic cough I've had for 40 years has almost gone."

Phoenix · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 26, 2018

For Interstitial Cystitis "I have had symptoms of Interstitial Cystitis for a couple of years. Started on 25mg of Elavil in the early evening. In ONE day the symptoms were mostly gone. It's the only treatment that has really worked for me. After taking 25mg per day for a couple of weeks I started cutting back on the dose and have finally settled on 5mg per night. It's enough to cut most of the symptoms. I still have to watch what I eat and do pelvic stretches."

SAm · Taken for less than 1 month August 17, 2018

For Insomnia "The worst pill I've ever taken for insomnia. I got prescribed Elavil 25mg to take before bed. I took the first tab and it made me very sleepy and dizzy, but I could not fall asleep. I was in a state between sleep and awake. Very dry mouth, very restless and the second morning I felt that I could not move. It also caused me headaches. Will be throwing the rest in the garbage. Terrible drug."

sirius1 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 5, 2018

For Insomnia "I'm 65 years old so when the benzo stop being effective, I used Amitriptyline ( elavil) to sleep. I have to take 3 X 10mg with half of a banana to make it smoother on the empty stomach, to make it work. It has some nasty side effects but they tend to go away after a while. Constipation will not be a problem anymore after a 1 months, drink a lot of water early in the evening to prevent constipation. Dry mouth will always be there, but will become less severe after a while, so chew some gum to fix this problem. Sex will also take a low profile :-) This drug can also be use to make the withdrawal of the benzos much easier to do. You will still sleep and will only need a small dosage of benzo which you can lower slowly but surely. I get a better sleep pattern than the benzos. Waking up ready to drive my car if I need to , unlike the Ambien. Cheap to buy also. My old mother still use it after almost 50 years of usage. She is 85."

CatLady · Taken for 10 years or more August 2, 2018

For Depression "It was the only antidepressant that worked for me way back in the 80's. They tried everything else but MAOI's. It has had no side effects for me in past 35 years. BUT, in the 90s a doctor (an MD) wanted to see if the newer SSRIs would work also so I said OK. Well, about 3 weeks into this venture, I got a headache so bad that I called her and said I can't live with this pain. Needless to say, she immediately got me back on the Eavil. Don't try going off this medicine because it has a very bad side effect. That is OK for me though. I'm now 79 and figure I will always take it. Told my doctor if I ever go into a coma, please always give me this medicine until I die! I do take the generic now because of the price and it works just as well."

Ann246G · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 12, 2018

For Depression "This helped me tremendously in the matter of a few weeks. I was so hopeless that nothing would work and that I would never be myself again. I’m so thankful for this medicine. It changed my life."

Best ever · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 11, 2018

For Pain "I started on the dose 25mg at bedtime so I wouldn't wake up with a sore back and shoulder. This was a year ago.Best pain regimen to date!!! Side effect of restful sleep and joint pain almost gone every day!!! Why did it take so long to find this???"

Pricklypear · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 10, 2018

For Insomnia "Elavil 10mg was prescribed mainly for my 24/7 migraine type symptoms and increasing nerve pain. But also for these symptoms now keeping me up at night. I was always a decent sleeper. But 2 yrs ago as the “head bounce” increased so did my upset over it, and it caused chronic insomnia. Elavil works well for nerve pain. I found even handling jigsaw pieces felt like knives cutting into my fingers. Pleasant right? Elavil allowed me to NOT feel that pain! Insomnia. - works! However a month ago- after the third night it increased my head pain. Like sharp stabs. Soooooo. I take 10mg once every few weeks. I realize that isn’t protocol but don’t care. I mix my bedtime routine with an occasional Benadryl and nothing at all. Then another Elavil. Took the Elavil after not taking it for a month last night. Was able to catch up after 2 bad nights. Ahhhhhhhh...... slept very well. Bottle goes back into drawer for another few weeks"

ez_writer · Taken for 10 years or more January 3, 2018

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder "I've had Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) for 30 years, then a random workplace mass shooting gave me PTSD about 16 years ago. I was on many different drugs from a psychiatrist (probably getting kickbacks). After I lost my job, ability to work, house, wife, etc. I was fortunate to be poor and prescribed a drug I could afford by a nurse practitioner with advice from a neurologist. To add to my klonopin they prescribed elavil. I slept like a baby for the first time in years. It helped with anxiety and depression, improved my libido, and I will be happy to take it the rest of my life. I have been on it over ten years now, I still struggle, but I would never have managed without it. It gives me a fighting chance at a real life. SSRI's and anti-psychotic drugs are demonic."

Works Great · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 15, 2017

For Pain "Prescribed for pain (arthritis/joint problems) more than a year ago. It works great and has the awesome side effect of normal sleep!!!"

Cdontask · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 9, 2017

For Insomnia "I've had insomnia for 2 years now. I think I've been on every prescribed and otc meds out there. I was frustrated. Until I asked about elavil and it was a god send. The only side effect I noticed was constipation. Maybe increase in appetite too."

Dawn4373 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 19, 2017

For Anxiety and Stress "It got rid of mine! Tried many meds over the years with various side effects. This is the only one that got rid of my anxiety and depression and gave me no side effects. Not to mention I sleep better on it. I was out of it the first few days until I got used to it and now I can't even tell I am taking something except that I have no anxiety, panic attacks or depression anymore. It was a game changer for me. I feel like a new, normal person again. I highly recommend trying it."

seriousonly · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 8, 2017

For Pain "was given for pain but works great for sleep, depression and anxiety. I love it"

Thanking meds · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 5, 2017

For Anxiety and Stress "Started 25mg for crippling panic attacks !! Had them for 6-7 months without even any relief from xanax ... first and only med that has worked for me without side effects ! Couldn't even take an SSRI felt so sick from them .. 25mg saved my life !"

John AB · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 2, 2017

For Insomnia "I told my doctor about my symptoms and he told me that my symptoms did not appear in his medical handbook so he disregarded my symptoms completely. He said it was mandatory for him to report any symptom not listed in his book to the proper health authorities to update the handbook. However, he didn't report the side effects that I told him about because it was "too much paperwork." Instead, he tried to convince me that it had nothing to do with Elavil and in a threatening demeanour tried to change my mind about my symptoms so that he would not be forced to do any paperwork. After reading this site on Elavil, I see the symptoms that I told my doctor about. I find that my doctor acted in an unsafe, unprofessional, and negligent manner."

13crocs · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 29, 2017

For Anxiety and Stress "Today I am on 100mg of Elavil and it is working quite well. Best of all, Elavil has the added bonus of curbing my neuropathy which had forced me to be on fentanyl for over 4 years. Been about eight years now and it is still doing a great job. I have been on just about every drug they have for panic and other than Prozac this is one of the only drugs that has worked or worked without nasty side effects. paxil worked but TOTALLY wiped out my sex drive and ability to perform. Zoloft did nothing at all good or bad. Alcohol was good at knocking down the panic attacks but the bad there was the attacks became more frequent. Imipramine only masked the symptoms causing some nasty muscle tension that lead to migraines."

losier · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 13, 2017

For Chronic Myofascial Pain "Been taking for pain in right side of my face. 1st month I would wake up like a Zombie now after 6 months I am fine. Pills don't work the same for everyone."

Grratfostbyji June 10, 2017

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder "Keep you from wanting to kill yourself make you feel more comfortable just meadows you out keeps me from having back flashing. First time I didn't like bad side affects the Dr gave me 50mg a day but I take 50mg bed time then I cut pill in half late morning and early evening. First time taking make you sleep really good. I have know side affect. I like keeps you calm"

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 4, 2017

For Pain "I was given this medication to help my daily chronic headaches. Started it a little over a month ago. Three days in I had one of the worst headaches ever. After that the headaches started to diminish. I now have weakness and loss of feeling in my hands arms and legs and feet, seizure activity, confusion, and sleeping all the time. I don't feel like myself and I'm super miserable all the time. Dr doesn't want to take me off this medication but I cannot live life like this. I don't recommend this medication."

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)