User Reviews for Elavil

Fibromyalgia 22 reviews 20 medications

5.8
Summary of Elavil reviews 122 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Elavil

For Anxiety and Stress "It got rid of mine! Tried many meds over the years with various side effects. This is the only one that got rid of my anxiety and depression and gave me no side effects. Not to mention I sleep better on it. I was out of it the first few days until I got used to it and now I can't even tell I am taking something except that I have no anxiety, panic attacks or depression anymore. It was a game changer for me. I feel like a new, normal person again. I highly recommend trying it."

Dawn4373 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "was given for pain but works great for sleep, depression and anxiety. I love it"

seriousonly (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "Started 25mg for crippling panic attacks !! Had them for 6-7 months without even any relief from xanax ... first and only med that has worked for me without side effects ! Couldn't even take an SSRI felt so sick from them .. 25mg saved my life !"

Thanking meds (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia "I told my doctor about my symptoms and he told me that my symptoms did not appear in his medical handbook so he disregarded my symptoms completely. He said it was mandatory for him to report any symptom not listed in his book to the proper health authorities to update the handbook. However, he didn't report the side effects that I told him about because it was "too much paperwork." Instead, he tried to convince me that it had nothing to do with Elavil and in a threatening demeanour tried to change my mind about my symptoms so that he would not be forced to do any paperwork. After reading this site on Elavil, I see the symptoms that I told my doctor about. I find that my doctor acted in an unsafe, unprofessional, and negligent manner."

John AB (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "Today I am on 100mg of Elavil and it is working quite well. Best of all, Elavil has the added bonus of curbing my neuropathy which had forced me to be on fentanyl for over 4 years. Been about eight years now and it is still doing a great job. I have been on just about every drug they have for panic and other than Prozac this is one of the only drugs that has worked or worked without nasty side effects. paxil worked but TOTALLY wiped out my sex drive and ability to perform. Zoloft did nothing at all good or bad. Alcohol was good at knocking down the panic attacks but the bad there was the attacks became more frequent. Imipramine only masked the symptoms causing some nasty muscle tension that lead to migraines."

13crocs (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chronic Myofascial Pain "Been taking for pain in right side of my face. 1st month I would wake up like a Zombie now after 6 months I am fine. Pills don't work the same for everyone."

losier (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder "Keep you from wanting to kill yourself make you feel more comfortable just meadows you out keeps me from having back flashing. First time I didn't like bad side affects the Dr gave me 50mg a day but I take 50mg bed time then I cut pill in half late morning and early evening. First time taking make you sleep really good. I have know side affect. I like keeps you calm"

Grratfostbyji June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "I was given this medication to help my daily chronic headaches. Started it a little over a month ago. Three days in I had one of the worst headaches ever. After that the headaches started to diminish. I now have weakness and loss of feeling in my hands arms and legs and feet, seizure activity, confusion, and sleeping all the time. I don't feel like myself and I'm super miserable all the time. Dr doesn't want to take me off this medication but I cannot live life like this. I don't recommend this medication."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I was prescribed Elavil for depression and migraine prevention. After taking only two 10mg doses of elavil, I had a severe manic episode. (Note: I am not bi-polar.) I was shaking, pacing, unable to sleep, talking a mile a minute but making no sense, full of anxiety and rage, unable to eat or keep anything down and in a total panic. My husband took me to the ER when my heart rate went through the roof and I became short of breath. The hospital kept me overnight on a heart monitor and gave me sedatives to calm me down. My doctor wants me to try another medication but I am terrified at the prospect. Honestly, I'd rather be depressed and have migraines than try another anti depressant. One bad experience was ENOUGH."

MigraineMisery (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Interstitial Cystitis "39 years old, The 1st few days, no change, Urologist put me on 25 mg, twice a day, it made me so drowsy & thirsty, only took 1 pill at night, on the 14th day is when I had no more pressure or frequency on my bladder, I was back to normal, so I made the mistake of drinking coffee, huge mistake! Took medication the next day, this time morning & night, symptoms disappeared, I suggest taking Prelief before drinking coffee or any acidic food, be patient with this medicine, takes a little while to work but IT WORKS!"

Chica777 (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder "I am 52 years old I've struggled my entire life with anxiety phobias depression intrusive racing thoughts etc I was diagnosed with PTSD MDD and panic disorder. I have tried every kind of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor antidepressants. Sometimes with absolutely horrible side effects. I am disabled with disc and bone disease my pain doctor added amitriptyline to my meds. I never would have imagined my pain doctor giving me a drug that could change my whole life, especially at my age. I gave up on finding a medication that really helped. I have been home bound for the past 3 years I have become a recluse. Now, I look forward to getting out of the house! I actually feel happy! THANK GOD!!!! AND IT'S ONLY $4 CASH !"

TEXAN11 March 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "For many years I was very resistant to taking medications for my anxiety because I watched my mother who is bipolar try many types of medications without success. My anxiety was constant: racing thoughts, hypochondria, worry about my kids, etc. The stress was actually causing me physical pain. I was even tense in my sleep and woke up every morning feeling like I had been in a fight. Elavil was life changing. I started out at 10mg and was bumped up to 25mg after a couple of weeks. The only side effects that I experience are drowsiness (you take it at night, so no big deal) and sometimes weird dreams. I am so at ease these days. I no longer have any stress-related pain. My quality of life has been vastly improved."

M. Bear February 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder "The first time I was aware of the existence of this drug, a gastroenterologist gave it to me for sharp stomach pain. The cause was idiopathic and/or overdetermined by a variety of problems, especially some damage to the hypothalamus. That was in 2001, and worked IMMEDIATELY. Stomach pain? Gone. Only had about a 2-week supply and stopped with no ill effects. In fact, it perked up my mood! I always remembered that this was the drug that solved a serious pain problem. In 2015, I had severe anxiety & my appetite was completely gone. I knew what I needed. The psych. gave me Elavil, even though he was inclined toward Effexor. I ate! I felt good again. I am still on it. I am concerned re: withdrawal. Short-term use recommended if possible."

High Anxiety (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "I have been on multiple medications for the burning and tingling and shooting pains in lower legs. Finally have found the most rewarding relief. I seen a endoctronologist and she ordered a nutriotional drug called Metanex. I take 1 capsule twice a day and the Elavil 50 mg at bedtime. I give thanks to God and that's it. unbelievable relief in the symptoms I have suffered with for over a year. anyone with these symptoms should look into getting there Dr to order the Metanex for them in conjunction with the Elavil."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Interstitial Cystitis "Unfortunately this medication had a very negative effect on me. I was supposed to take it for occasional nerve zaps that I get from having IC. When I took it, it didn't take the pain away. Instead it changed it into a CONSTANT burning pain which is way worse than the previous zaps. I stopped taking it, and although I was on a low dose 25mg a night, I got horrible withdrawal symptoms and am still dealing with panic attacks upon waking up. I know this drug has been a godsend for some people, but please be careful because it has the potential to make things way worse."

Adre6918 (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "Was prescribed Elavil mainly for chronic headaches. Also suffer from depression, anxiety and insomnia so my neurologist had me start Elavil to try and kill many birds with one stone, so to speak. Elavil worked great to reduce the intensity of my headaches. Although they were still going on it was much more tolerable. I had been on Elavil only one month and a week before I stopped. First week my insomnia and anxiety seemed to be simmering down (This stopped soon after week 2). As for my depression... Elavil put it under a magnifying glass. I was suicidal and crying on a daily basis, it was not the medication for me... It helped with the main objective but at a horrible cost."

Fal (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I am a mother of 3 kids 33 and have anxiety/depression I was on Effexor 150 mg " this should be illegal! " didn't work and If a dose was missed it felt like few hours of a drug "rush" like speed or cocaine...intense night sweats highly addictive AVOID! , Celexa " had bad sexual side effects", zoloft "robot drug". I am getting back to Elavil 10 mg. Elavil is great I feel happy on it . It makes me enjoy life and little things again. I don't need to take much for it to work and I have no side effects at all on a 10 mg daily dose. I felt sleepy for two weeks when I started but it resorbs and you can then feel its full beneficial effects quickly general mood elevation and good feeling". Anxiety is under control on it and I sleep better."

ladybug33 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia "I was prescribed Elavil by my Rheumatologist and have been on it for 10 days. He prescribed a dose of 25mg but I am super sensitive to Meds and have only been taking 12.5mg. Let me just start by saying I have been on everything from Zoloft to Lyrica for depression and Fibro. I have had negative experiences with most of them. I was skeptical to even try Elavil after reading some user reviews but decided to give it a try. So far I have noticed that I have more energy and don't feel like I am in a fog.Other side effects I've noticed:1. Dry mouth 2. Weird dreams 3. Tired in am but more energy later on.4. Upper back pain in the A.M. This concerns me. 5.More social 6.No pain relief for Fibro. If anything I am more aware of it.Jury still out :/"

JenofJax (taken for less than 1 month) June 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "Have been taking for over 1 week now fibromyalgia pain, I am sleeping much better and my pain is 1/2 what it was. I was told to give it 2 weeks but I felt better after one day of using it"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia "I have had insomia for months. Dr started me on Elavil 10mg for sleep, within a half hour I'm a sleep. I have not slept this good in a long time. I am not a zombie either in the mornings. I feel very good when I awake. Best thing."

Feefee40215 May 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "Have been taking for over 1 week now and after have all over fibromyalgia pain as well as night sweats, I am sleeping much better and my pain is 1/2 what it was. I was told to give it 60 days to really work but I felt better after one day."

KYGrl133 May 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I have been on about everything you can imagine for my stress and anxiety. Nothing worked and for years I have been miserable. I was put on Elavil and didn't feel much of an effect but once the doctor bumped me up to 100mgs a day, I am a new person. It has changed my life. I wake up and feel like dancing!"

AngelWolf12 January 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "Very good for nerve pain, helps with sleep but are slightly groggy in the morning."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I've tried about every medication out there for my anxiety and depression; welbutrin Zoloft Paxil , Cymbalta, Emsam, Xanax , etc.. At 75mg Elavil helped me sleep, I had more energy, I didn't feel restless, and I rarely got upset. I thought I had found the perfect cure until I started to gain weight. I decreased my calorie intake increased my exercise and the weight just kept coming. In 4 months I had gained 26 pounds. I also started to such severe dry mouth my throat was dry and my voice was hoarse, I also started to have blurred vision. I really like this medicine but know if I can handle the side effects."

Perfect, (except weight gain) (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 30, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I have tried almost every medicine for GAD (Xanax, celexa, paxil, wellbutrin, lamictal, seroquel, buspar) but it seems that Amitriptyline is the only drug that work for me. I also take 300 mg of Lyrica for chronic pain and 150 mg of Effexor Xr in the morning and 50 mg of Amitriptyline before sleep. It changed my life."

zeko23 December 7, 2015