User Reviews for Elavil

Fibromyalgia 22 reviews 20 medications

5.8
Summary of Elavil reviews 112 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Elavil

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder "I am 52 years old I've struggled my entire life with anxiety phobias depression intrusive racing thoughts etc I was diagnosed with PTSD MDD and panic disorder. I have tried every kind of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor antidepressants. Sometimes with absolutely horrible side effects. I am disabled with disc and bone disease my pain doctor added amitriptyline to my meds. I never would have imagined my pain doctor giving me a drug that could change my whole life, especially at my age. I gave up on finding a medication that really helped. I have been home bound for the past 3 years I have become a recluse. Now, I look forward to getting out of the house! I actually feel happy! THANK GOD!!!! AND IT'S ONLY $4 CASH !"

TEXAN11 March 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress "For many years I was very resistant to taking medications for my anxiety because I watched my mother who is bipolar try many types of medications without success. My anxiety was constant: racing thoughts, hypochondria, worry about my kids, etc. The stress was actually causing me physical pain. I was even tense in my sleep and woke up every morning feeling like I had been in a fight. Elavil was life changing. I started out at 10mg and was bumped up to 25mg after a couple of weeks. The only side effects that I experience are drowsiness (you take it at night, so no big deal) and sometimes weird dreams. I am so at ease these days. I no longer have any stress-related pain. My quality of life has been vastly improved."

M. Bear February 24, 2017

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder "The first time I was aware of the existence of this drug, a gastroenterologist gave it to me for sharp stomach pain. The cause was idiopathic and/or overdetermined by a variety of problems, especially some damage to the hypothalamus. That was in 2001, and worked IMMEDIATELY. Stomach pain? Gone. Only had about a 2-week supply and stopped with no ill effects. In fact, it perked up my mood! I always remembered that this was the drug that solved a serious pain problem. In 2015, I had severe anxiety & my appetite was completely gone. I knew what I needed. The psych. gave me Elavil, even though he was inclined toward Effexor. I ate! I felt good again. I am still on it. I am concerned re: withdrawal. Short-term use recommended if possible."

High Anxiety (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 20, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain "I have been on multiple medications for the burning and tingling and shooting pains in lower legs. Finally have found the most rewarding relief. I seen a endoctronologist and she ordered a nutriotional drug called Metanex. I take 1 capsule twice a day and the Elavil 50 mg at bedtime. I give thanks to God and that's it. unbelievable relief in the symptoms I have suffered with for over a year. anyone with these symptoms should look into getting there Dr to order the Metanex for them in conjunction with the Elavil."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 19, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Interstitial Cystitis "Unfortunately this medication had a very negative effect on me. I was supposed to take it for occasional nerve zaps that I get from having IC. When I took it, it didn't take the pain away. Instead it changed it into a CONSTANT burning pain which is way worse than the previous zaps. I stopped taking it, and although I was on a low dose 25mg a night, I got horrible withdrawal symptoms and am still dealing with panic attacks upon waking up. I know this drug has been a godsend for some people, but please be careful because it has the potential to make things way worse."

Adre6918 (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain "Was prescribed Elavil mainly for chronic headaches. Also suffer from depression, anxiety and insomnia so my neurologist had me start Elavil to try and kill many birds with one stone, so to speak. Elavil worked great to reduce the intensity of my headaches. Although they were still going on it was much more tolerable. I had been on Elavil only one month and a week before I stopped. First week my insomnia and anxiety seemed to be simmering down (This stopped soon after week 2). As for my depression... Elavil put it under a magnifying glass. I was suicidal and crying on a daily basis, it was not the medication for me... It helped with the main objective but at a horrible cost."

Fal (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2016

41 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I am a mother of 3 kids 33 and have anxiety/depression I was on Effexor 150 mg " this should be illegal! " didn't work and If a dose was missed it felt like few hours of a drug "rush" like speed or cocaine...intense night sweats highly addictive AVOID! , Celexa " had bad sexual side effects", zoloft "robot drug". I am getting back to Elavil 10 mg. Elavil is great I feel happy on it . It makes me enjoy life and little things again. I don't need to take much for it to work and I have no side effects at all on a 10 mg daily dose. I felt sleepy for two weeks when I started but it resorbs and you can then feel its full beneficial effects quickly general mood elevation and good feeling". Anxiety is under control on it and I sleep better."

ladybug33 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 20, 2016

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Fibromyalgia "I was prescribed Elavil by my Rheumatologist and have been on it for 10 days. He prescribed a dose of 25mg but I am super sensitive to Meds and have only been taking 12.5mg. Let me just start by saying I have been on everything from Zoloft to Lyrica for depression and Fibro. I have had negative experiences with most of them. I was skeptical to even try Elavil after reading some user reviews but decided to give it a try. So far I have noticed that I have more energy and don't feel like I am in a fog.Other side effects I've noticed:1. Dry mouth 2. Weird dreams 3. Tired in am but more energy later on.4. Upper back pain in the A.M. This concerns me. 5.More social 6.No pain relief for Fibro. If anything I am more aware of it.Jury still out :/"

JenofJax (taken for less than 1 month) June 2, 2016

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain "Have been taking for over 1 week now fibromyalgia pain, I am sleeping much better and my pain is 1/2 what it was. I was told to give it 2 weeks but I felt better after one day of using it"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2016

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia "I have had insomia for months. Dr started me on Elavil 10mg for sleep, within a half hour I'm a sleep. I have not slept this good in a long time. I am not a zombie either in the mornings. I feel very good when I awake. Best thing."

Feefee40215 May 18, 2016

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain "Have been taking for over 1 week now and after have all over fibromyalgia pain as well as night sweats, I am sleeping much better and my pain is 1/2 what it was. I was told to give it 60 days to really work but I felt better after one day."

KYGrl133 May 6, 2016

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress "I have been on about everything you can imagine for my stress and anxiety. Nothing worked and for years I have been miserable. I was put on Elavil and didn't feel much of an effect but once the doctor bumped me up to 100mgs a day, I am a new person. It has changed my life. I wake up and feel like dancing!"

AngelWolf12 January 21, 2016

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain "Very good for nerve pain, helps with sleep but are slightly groggy in the morning."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 19, 2016

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I've tried about every medication out there for my anxiety and depression; welbutrin Zoloft Paxil , Cymbalta, Emsam, Xanax , etc.. At 75mg Elavil helped me sleep, I had more energy, I didn't feel restless, and I rarely got upset. I thought I had found the perfect cure until I started to gain weight. I decreased my calorie intake increased my exercise and the weight just kept coming. In 4 months I had gained 26 pounds. I also started to such severe dry mouth my throat was dry and my voice was hoarse, I also started to have blurred vision. I really like this medicine but know if I can handle the side effects."

Perfect, (except weight gain) (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 30, 2015

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress "I have tried almost every medicine for GAD (Xanax, celexa, paxil, wellbutrin, lamictal, seroquel, buspar) but it seems that Amitriptyline is the only drug that work for me. I also take 300 mg of Lyrica for chronic pain and 150 mg of Effexor Xr in the morning and 50 mg of Amitriptyline before sleep. It changed my life."

zeko23 December 7, 2015

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "Elavil works in my case as a pain killer/anti depressant. I does have some cons that I was not warned about. I was told by my doctor to take 150mg before bed so I did as told and woke up only when my wife shook me for a second I would eat and go right back to sleep this happened for the first 24 hours the next I had no choice but to stay awake. being awake I had problems with balance and depth perception. my mind was racing with what felt like hundreds of thoughts. my ability to speak was reduced to short sentences. it felt like my jaw was not moving fast enough to make more than a few sentences. after taking that dosage down from 150mg to 37.5mg I am able to speak clearly but my mind is still a little foggy. and the back pain is not as bad"

Indigenous Soldier (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2015

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Fibromyalgia "I haven't started this drug yet, but am suppose to today, I'm scared to take it from reading everyone's reviews cause I'm a tired person and have IBS so any change can make me really sleepy or feel sick, I'm really sleepy. I'm 31 with 2 kids. I don't want to be more tired or feel like a zombie cause half the time I do anyways. I'm crying cause I'm so scared to take this drug cause the side effects seem so much and those side effects always affect me. I will try it so my doctor can't hound me about taking it. I really don't wanna lose my thoughts cause I have a bad memory as is. But what can you do when you have to be a lab rat for your doctor, not happy!"

Jennypaigeandfam September 11, 2015

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder "1st started taking for depression and PTSD and anxiety. Then I got in accident, now I take it for the above AS WELL AS headaches leg pain,nerve pain in legs. Great old school drug. Oh also helps insomnia"

rastonia (taken for 10 years or more) July 20, 2015

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain "I was prescribed this after a severe TBI and broken neck, it was suppose to help my headaches. After about a week it turned me into a rapid cycling bipolar suicidal freak, one second driving singing happy, next second I was trying to swerve in front of a semi."

Kristara (taken for less than 1 month) June 2, 2015

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia "Works wonderful for insomnia. Just the side effects are terrible. Headaches, drowsiness and WEIGHT GAIN!"

Tinkerbell007 March 2, 2015

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain "Very good"

Maiku December 19, 2014

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Interstitial Cystitis "I didn't think this medication was working at all, but when I went off of it, I was in more pain than I'd ever experienced before. When I'd been back on it for about ten days, my pain was not gone, but it was certainly more tolerable."

nantsyb3 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 3, 2014

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Fibromyalgia "Works great"

Danvic (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 24, 2014

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression "I'm 16 years old and I started taking Zoloft for depression about a year ago. I started off at 25mg then 50mg and things still didn't seem to be "right." I was constantly sick and throwing up, and I just felt like it wasn't working. So they bumped me up to 75mg of Zoloft, and then to 100mg. For my body and age, 100mg was a lot for me to take but it finally made me feel better. I wasn't as down, but I had awful side affects. I couldn't sleep, eat, or do anything but lay in bed and I had awful migraines. I was so sick of changing meds but I couldn't deal with being this sick so on top of the Zoloft I was prescribed Elavil. It was like night and day. Helped me sleep and took all my side effects away!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 4, 2014

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress "Gave me my life back"

marslites (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 8, 2014