User Reviews for Elavil

Chronic Myofascial Pain 1 reviews 42 medications
Summary of Elavil reviews 7.7 131 reviews

Reviews for Elavil

Don · Taken for 10 years or more May 14, 2020

For Insomnia: “Elavil is an OUTSTANDING DRUG for insomnia! Took 25mg 45 minutes before bed. Now after 20 years I take 50mg. Without it, I can’t sleep at all! I’d rate it a 15!”

Joan · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 16, 2020

For Pain: “My doctor prescribed this drug to treat my severe, chronic migraines. It was a horrible experience. I had vivid nightmares every night and stopped caring about anything. It felt like I was in a fog half the time.”

TOFLA December 1, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress: “This drug has been so helpful, I suffered for panic attack, social phobia and anxiety for over 15 years, I started amitriptyline 7 weeks ago and my life has since changed, I can express myself in public, no more panic attack nor anxiety. I really thank my GOD and appreciate this platform which is so encouraging. I should also say that I got inspired from other people who were sharing their experiences on this platform. I'll definitely rate this drug 10/10. No side effects. I an so thankful”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month September 28, 2019

“I had a terrible experience with these pills. I've never experienced side effects on a medication before and I trusted my doctor who told me that I was taking such a low dose I shouldn’t have side effects. This medication made me feel like a zombie all day no matter how much I slept. It caused me to feel spaced out and exhausted and also caused me to experience visual hallucinations before bed one night. Awful pills I would never try again. There’s a million people online desperately trying to taper down their dose and get off the pills but having withdrawal symptoms. To each their own, but I wish I never even tried it at all. by the way I was put on this for Functional Dyspepsia”

Scooter · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 10, 2019

For Insomnia: “I was originally prescribed Elavil for a chronic cough, and it was amazing. Within about one hour after taking the first 10 mg tablet my cough was gone. I have, just like my grandfather and my mother, always suffered from insomnia. My Doctor mentioned that it was also a really good medicine for insomnia. I had been taking 75 mg of Benadryl for many years to help me sleep. I was able to completely stop taking benadryl and the Elavil has cured my insomnia too. I have not suffered any side effects at all.”

Wen · Taken for less than 1 month August 14, 2019

For Depression: “I have been depressed for a very long time. I took everything and nothing worked. My doctor gave me Elavil I'm scared to take it. This whole summer I never went out. All the things I used to love to do. I don't do them no more. I feel so alone. I don't know if I should try it. I never heard of it”

Nlil · Taken for less than 1 month July 3, 2019

For Pain: “Was prescribed a low doses for my IBS related pain. It did help my stomach but suffered badly with the side effects. Would take at night before bed but in the the daytime I’d experience shakes, anxiety, had severe trouble focussing and could barely string sentences together so stopped taking it two days ago. Still suffering bad shakes and difficulty concentrating. Be very careful with it.”

Sam · Taken for less than 1 month May 30, 2019

For Insomnia: “This is a terrible drug. Took Elavil 25g as was prescribed arthritis pain which would also help with insomnia. Put me in a hazy not a full sleep with vivid scary nightmares which were very disturbing and terrifying. My heart was pounding loudly in my chest, sweating, unable to feel anything, felt totally spaced out until six the following evening. Shaky, nervous and very anxious. Could not safely drive as I felt drunk. Take my advise keep away from this drug it’s scary and frightening.”

Jims May 29, 2019

For Fibromyalgia: “Taking Elavil pills at bed time around 10 to 11pm. First pill made me sleep for two days. 2nd pill less tired but slept all day. 3rd pill slept all day. 4th to 7th pill less tired but no relief of pain, actually an increase of pain in lower back and tightness in shoulders and neck. Not sure If I'll take anymore! Other meds being used: Tizanidine, Armodafinil, Basaglar - long acting insulin (other diabetic meds make me sick) -lower back pain -muscle tightness -sweating - increased hot flashes -(I wish) fruit-like breath odor -increased hunger -loss of consciousness - lack of concentration, find myself just drifting off watching shows. I usually have a busy mind, even with brain fog, I usually have a show on while doing 2-3 other things. I have a high IQ and like to use it, but with this med it dumbs me down significantly.”

Ell 2019 · Taken for less than 1 month April 18, 2019

For Interstitial Cystitis: “Finally have relief of 3 years relentless pain from interstitial cystitis. The grogginess and constipation only downside. Made remarkable difference to urgency and pain. Feel a new women. Thought I’d never have relief ! Thank you ”

smack · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 6, 2019

For Pain: “I started this drug as a migraine prevention treatment, beginning with 10 mg and moving up to 50. I also have fibromyalgia. This medication did not help me whatsoever with the migraines or the fibro. Thankfully, it does help with insomnia but I was really super disappointed that I didn't get any headache relief. It also makes me feel stupid because I'm constantly hungover and tired during the day.”

smack · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 6, 2019

For Insomnia: “Amitriptyline has been a godsend for my insomnia. I get a really good sleep eight nights out of 10 with this medication. Started with 10 mg and moved up to 50 mg. It gives me a hangover during much of the next day and I always have to take a nap in the late afternoon but without it I can't sleep at all.”

shawn zandi · Taken for less than 1 month September 7, 2018

“My experience with elavi 10 mg is that my chronic cough I've had for 40 years has almost gone.”

Phoenix · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 26, 2018

For Interstitial Cystitis: “I have had symptoms of Interstitial Cystitis for a couple of years. Started on 25mg of Elavil in the early evening. In ONE day the symptoms were mostly gone. It's the only treatment that has really worked for me. After taking 25mg per day for a couple of weeks I started cutting back on the dose and have finally settled on 5mg per night. It's enough to cut most of the symptoms. I still have to watch what I eat and do pelvic stretches.”

SAm · Taken for less than 1 month August 17, 2018

For Insomnia: “The worst pill I've ever taken for insomnia. I got prescribed Elavil 25mg to take before bed. I took the first tab and it made me very sleepy and dizzy, but I could not fall asleep. I was in a state between sleep and awake. Very dry mouth, very restless and the second morning I felt that I could not move. It also caused me headaches. Will be throwing the rest in the garbage. Terrible drug.”

sirius1 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 5, 2018

For Insomnia: “I'm 65 years old so when the benzo stop being effective, I used Amitriptyline ( elavil) to sleep. I have to take 3 X 10mg with half of a banana to make it smoother on the empty stomach, to make it work. It has some nasty side effects but they tend to go away after a while. Constipation will not be a problem anymore after a 1 months, drink a lot of water early in the evening to prevent constipation. Dry mouth will always be there, but will become less severe after a while, so chew some gum to fix this problem. Sex will also take a low profile :-) This drug can also be use to make the withdrawal of the benzos much easier to do. You will still sleep and will only need a small dosage of benzo which you can lower slowly but surely. I get a better sleep pattern than the benzos. Waking up ready to drive my car if I need to , unlike the Ambien. Cheap to buy also. My old mother still use it after almost 50 years of usage. She is 85.”

CatLady · Taken for 10 years or more August 2, 2018

For Depression: “It was the only antidepressant that worked for me way back in the 80's. They tried everything else but MAOI's. It has had no side effects for me in past 35 years. BUT, in the 90s a doctor (an MD) wanted to see if the newer SSRIs would work also so I said OK. Well, about 3 weeks into this venture, I got a headache so bad that I called her and said I can't live with this pain. Needless to say, she immediately got me back on the Eavil. Don't try going off this medicine because it has a very bad side effect. That is OK for me though. I'm now 79 and figure I will always take it. Told my doctor if I ever go into a coma, please always give me this medicine until I die! I do take the generic now because of the price and it works just as well.”

Ann246G · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 12, 2018

For Depression: “This helped me tremendously in the matter of a few weeks. I was so hopeless that nothing would work and that I would never be myself again. I’m so thankful for this medicine. It changed my life.”

Best ever · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 11, 2018

For Pain: “I started on the dose 25mg at bedtime so I wouldn't wake up with a sore back and shoulder. This was a year ago.Best pain regimen to date!!! Side effect of restful sleep and joint pain almost gone every day!!! Why did it take so long to find this???”

Pricklypear · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 10, 2018

For Insomnia: “Elavil 10mg was prescribed mainly for my 24/7 migraine type symptoms and increasing nerve pain. But also for these symptoms now keeping me up at night. I was always a decent sleeper. But 2 yrs ago as the “head bounce” increased so did my upset over it, and it caused chronic insomnia. Elavil works well for nerve pain. I found even handling jigsaw pieces felt like knives cutting into my fingers. Pleasant right? Elavil allowed me to NOT feel that pain! Insomnia. - works! However a month ago- after the third night it increased my head pain. Like sharp stabs. Soooooo. I take 10mg once every few weeks. I realize that isn’t protocol but don’t care. I mix my bedtime routine with an occasional Benadryl and nothing at all. Then another Elavil. Took the Elavil after not taking it for a month last night. Was able to catch up after 2 bad nights. Ahhhhhhhh...... slept very well. Bottle goes back into drawer for another few weeks”

ez_writer · Taken for 10 years or more January 3, 2018

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: “I've had Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) for 30 years, then a random workplace mass shooting gave me PTSD about 16 years ago. I was on many different drugs from a psychiatrist (probably getting kickbacks). After I lost my job, ability to work, house, wife, etc. I was fortunate to be poor and prescribed a drug I could afford by a nurse practitioner with advice from a neurologist. To add to my klonopin they prescribed elavil. I slept like a baby for the first time in years. It helped with anxiety and depression, improved my libido, and I will be happy to take it the rest of my life. I have been on it over ten years now, I still struggle, but I would never have managed without it. It gives me a fighting chance at a real life. SSRI's and anti-psychotic drugs are demonic.”

Works Great · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 15, 2017

For Pain: “Prescribed for pain (arthritis/joint problems) more than a year ago. It works great and has the awesome side effect of normal sleep!!!”

Cdontask · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 9, 2017

For Insomnia: “I've had insomnia for 2 years now. I think I've been on every prescribed and otc meds out there. I was frustrated. Until I asked about elavil and it was a god send. The only side effect I noticed was constipation. Maybe increase in appetite too.”

Dawn4373 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 19, 2017

For Anxiety and Stress: “It got rid of mine! Tried many meds over the years with various side effects. This is the only one that got rid of my anxiety and depression and gave me no side effects. Not to mention I sleep better on it. I was out of it the first few days until I got used to it and now I can't even tell I am taking something except that I have no anxiety, panic attacks or depression anymore. It was a game changer for me. I feel like a new, normal person again. I highly recommend trying it.”

seriousonly · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 8, 2017

For Pain: “was given for pain but works great for sleep, depression and anxiety. I love it”