User Reviews for Elavil

Fibromyalgia 22 reviews 20 medications

5.8
Summary of Elavil reviews 107 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Elavil

For Pain "Was prescribed Elavil mainly for chronic headaches. Also suffer from depression, anxiety and insomnia so my neurologist had me start Elavil to try and kill many birds with one stone, so to speak. Elavil worked great to reduce the intensity of my headaches. Although they were still going on it was much more tolerable. I had been on Elavil only one month and a week before I stopped. First week my insomnia and anxiety seemed to be simmering down (This stopped soon after week 2). As for my depression... Elavil put it under a magnifying glass. I was suicidal and crying on a daily basis, it was not the medication for me... It helped with the main objective but at a horrible cost."

Fal (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2016

For Depression "I am a mother of 3 kids 33 and have anxiety/depression I was on Effexor 150 mg " this should be illegal! " didn't work and If a dose was missed it felt like few hours of a drug "rush" like speed or cocaine...intense night sweats highly addictive AVOID! , Celexa " had bad sexual side effects", zoloft "robot drug". I am getting back to Elavil 10 mg. Elavil is great I feel happy on it . It makes me enjoy life and little things again. I don't need to take much for it to work and I have no side effects at all on a 10 mg daily dose. I felt sleepy for two weeks when I started but it resorbs and you can then feel its full beneficial effects quickly general mood elevation and good feeling". Anxiety is under control on it and I sleep better."

ladybug33 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 20, 2016

For Fibromyalgia "I was prescribed Elavil by my Rheumatologist and have been on it for 10 days. He prescribed a dose of 25mg but I am super sensitive to Meds and have only been taking 12.5mg. Let me just start by saying I have been on everything from Zoloft to Lyrica for depression and Fibro. I have had negative experiences with most of them. I was skeptical to even try Elavil after reading some user reviews but decided to give it a try. So far I have noticed that I have more energy and don't feel like I am in a fog.Other side effects I've noticed:1. Dry mouth 2. Weird dreams 3. Tired in am but more energy later on.4. Upper back pain in the A.M. This concerns me. 5.More social 6.No pain relief for Fibro. If anything I am more aware of it.Jury still out :/"

JenofJax (taken for less than 1 month) June 2, 2016

For Pain "Have been taking for over 1 week now fibromyalgia pain, I am sleeping much better and my pain is 1/2 what it was. I was told to give it 2 weeks but I felt better after one day of using it"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2016

For Insomnia "I have had insomia for months. Dr started me on Elavil 10mg for sleep, within a half hour I'm a sleep. I have not slept this good in a long time. I am not a zombie either in the mornings. I feel very good when I awake. Best thing."

Feefee40215 May 18, 2016

For Pain "Have been taking for over 1 week now and after have all over fibromyalgia pain as well as night sweats, I am sleeping much better and my pain is 1/2 what it was. I was told to give it 60 days to really work but I felt better after one day."

KYGrl133 May 6, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress "I have been on about everything you can imagine for my stress and anxiety. Nothing worked and for years I have been miserable. I was put on Elavil and didn't feel much of an effect but once the doctor bumped me up to 100mgs a day, I am a new person. It has changed my life. I wake up and feel like dancing!"

AngelWolf12 January 21, 2016

For Pain "Very good for nerve pain, helps with sleep but are slightly groggy in the morning."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 19, 2016

For Depression "I've tried about every medication out there for my anxiety and depression; welbutrin Zoloft Paxil , Cymbalta, Emsam, Xanax , etc.. At 75mg Elavil helped me sleep, I had more energy, I didn't feel restless, and I rarely got upset. I thought I had found the perfect cure until I started to gain weight. I decreased my calorie intake increased my exercise and the weight just kept coming. In 4 months I had gained 26 pounds. I also started to such severe dry mouth my throat was dry and my voice was hoarse, I also started to have blurred vision. I really like this medicine but know if I can handle the side effects."

Perfect, (except weight gain) (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 30, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress "I have tried almost every medicine for GAD (Xanax, celexa, paxil, wellbutrin, lamictal, seroquel, buspar) but it seems that Amitriptyline is the only drug that work for me. I also take 300 mg of Lyrica for chronic pain and 150 mg of Effexor Xr in the morning and 50 mg of Amitriptyline before sleep. It changed my life."

zeko23 December 7, 2015

For Depression "Elavil works in my case as a pain killer/anti depressant. I does have some cons that I was not warned about. I was told by my doctor to take 150mg before bed so I did as told and woke up only when my wife shook me for a second I would eat and go right back to sleep this happened for the first 24 hours the next I had no choice but to stay awake. being awake I had problems with balance and depth perception. my mind was racing with what felt like hundreds of thoughts. my ability to speak was reduced to short sentences. it felt like my jaw was not moving fast enough to make more than a few sentences. after taking that dosage down from 150mg to 37.5mg I am able to speak clearly but my mind is still a little foggy. and the back pain is not as bad"

Indigenous Soldier (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2015

For Fibromyalgia "I haven't started this drug yet, but am suppose to today, I'm scared to take it from reading everyone's reviews cause I'm a tired person and have IBS so any change can make me really sleepy or feel sick, I'm really sleepy. I'm 31 with 2 kids. I don't want to be more tired or feel like a zombie cause half the time I do anyways. I'm crying cause I'm so scared to take this drug cause the side effects seem so much and those side effects always affect me. I will try it so my doctor can't hound me about taking it. I really don't wanna lose my thoughts cause I have a bad memory as is. But what can you do when you have to be a lab rat for your doctor, not happy!"

Jennypaigeandfam September 11, 2015

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder "1st started taking for depression and PTSD and anxiety. Then I got in accident, now I take it for the above AS WELL AS headaches leg pain,nerve pain in legs. Great old school drug. Oh also helps insomnia"

rastonia (taken for 10 years or more) July 20, 2015

For Pain "I was prescribed this after a severe TBI and broken neck, it was suppose to help my headaches. After about a week it turned me into a rapid cycling bipolar suicidal freak, one second driving singing happy, next second I was trying to swerve in front of a semi."

Kristara (taken for less than 1 month) June 2, 2015

For Insomnia "Works wonderful for insomnia. Just the side effects are terrible. Headaches, drowsiness and WEIGHT GAIN!"

Tinkerbell007 March 2, 2015

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Pain "Very good"

Maiku December 19, 2014

For Interstitial Cystitis "I didn't think this medication was working at all, but when I went off of it, I was in more pain than I'd ever experienced before. When I'd been back on it for about ten days, my pain was not gone, but it was certainly more tolerable."

nantsyb3 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 3, 2014

For Fibromyalgia "Works great"

Danvic (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 24, 2014

For Depression "I'm 16 years old and I started taking Zoloft for depression about a year ago. I started off at 25mg then 50mg and things still didn't seem to be "right." I was constantly sick and throwing up, and I just felt like it wasn't working. So they bumped me up to 75mg of Zoloft, and then to 100mg. For my body and age, 100mg was a lot for me to take but it finally made me feel better. I wasn't as down, but I had awful side affects. I couldn't sleep, eat, or do anything but lay in bed and I had awful migraines. I was so sick of changing meds but I couldn't deal with being this sick so on top of the Zoloft I was prescribed Elavil. It was like night and day. Helped me sleep and took all my side effects away!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 4, 2014

For Anxiety and Stress "Gave me my life back"

marslites (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 8, 2014

133 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "This medication has been very effective for my anxiety. I've taken 75mg for the past 9yrs. No more heart palpitations or tightness in my chest. I have tried others prior to the Elavil, but found I woke up with a hangover and a out of body feeling. If Ii forget to order refill before I run out it takes a 3 days to feel the effects. "

anonymous1224365 September 23, 2014

144 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Pain "I took Elavil 100 mg for migraine and sleep back in 90's wow solved my problems. Quit taking, and now I'm on 200 mg sleep and neuropathy from diabetes, sleep and stress. I take other medicines. I'm not healed just no more pain. Sometimes fall asleep and times just breeze through the day. Elavil helps for many medical problems. Don't like the new medicines. The old medicines work best for me."

pain and sleep and sleep and stress (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 19, 2014

123 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Pain "This was prescribe to me years ago in the late 1980's for pain, insomnia and stress. It was a blessing for me being able to sleep, no more pain and stress diminished. I slowly stopped taking it after being on it for three years with no problems after that. I was going through a lot of stress in my life, deaths, empty nest, break ups, job changes, etc."

Frugalone (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 30, 2014

184 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia "Take at night, and once I fall asleep, it helps. Doesn't stop the pain/discomfort of trying to get comfortable to fall asleep."

Megcait (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 24, 2014

For Insomnia "Amitriptyline has helped my insomnia by a ten fold. I have issues staying asleep due to my fibromyalgia and anxiety. I sleep all night for once. Unfortunately it has side effects: - No Appetite - Impotence - Daytime Drowsiness - Constipation"

ManicCatAli (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 2, 2014

172 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 Next