User Reviews for Elavil

Learn more about Elavil.

Elavil Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 1857 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for Elavil to treat Pain

"I have been on multiple medications for the burning and tingling and shooting pains in lower legs. Finally have found the most rewarding relief. I seen a endoctronologist and she ordered a nutriotional drug called Metanex. I take 1 capsule twice a day and the Elavil 50 mg at bedtime. I give thanks to God and that's it. unbelievable relief in the symptoms I have suffered with for over a year. anyone with these symptoms should look into getting there Dr to order the Metanex for them in conjunction with the Elavil."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 19, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Was prescribed Elavil mainly for chronic headaches. Also suffer from depression, anxiety and insomnia so my neurologist had me start Elavil to try and kill many birds with one stone, so to speak. Elavil worked great to reduce the intensity of my headaches. Although they were still going on it was much more tolerable. I had been on Elavil only one month and a week before I stopped. First week my insomnia and anxiety seemed to be simmering down (This stopped soon after week 2). As for my depression... Elavil put it under a magnifying glass. I was suicidal and crying on a daily basis, it was not the medication for me... It helped with the main objective but at a horrible cost."

Fal (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2016

43 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Have been taking for over 1 week now fibromyalgia pain, I am sleeping much better and my pain is 1/2 what it was. I was told to give it 2 weeks but I felt better after one day of using it"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2016

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Have been taking for over 1 week now and after have all over fibromyalgia pain as well as night sweats, I am sleeping much better and my pain is 1/2 what it was. I was told to give it 60 days to really work but I felt better after one day."

KYGrl133 May 6, 2016

57 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Very good for nerve pain, helps with sleep but are slightly groggy in the morning."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 19, 2016

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed this after a severe TBI and broken neck, it was suppose to help my headaches. After about a week it turned me into a rapid cycling bipolar suicidal freak, one second driving singing happy, next second I was trying to swerve in front of a semi."

Kristara (taken for less than 1 month) June 2, 2015

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Very good"

Maiku December 19, 2014

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took Elavil 100 mg for migraine and sleep back in 90's wow solved my problems. Quit taking, and now I'm on 200 mg sleep and neuropathy from diabetes, sleep and stress. I take other medicines. I'm not healed just no more pain. Sometimes fall asleep and times just breeze through the day. Elavil helps for many medical problems. Don't like the new medicines. The old medicines work best for me."

pain and sleep and sleep and stress (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 19, 2014

137 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This was prescribe to me years ago in the late 1980's for pain, insomnia and stress. It was a blessing for me being able to sleep, no more pain and stress diminished. I slowly stopped taking it after being on it for three years with no problems after that. I was going through a lot of stress in my life, deaths, empty nest, break ups, job changes, etc."

Frugalone (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 30, 2014

192 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been experiencing tremendous constant pain in my right arm and shoulder caused by Multiple Sclerosis nerve pain. I've never experienced such pain before. Not being able to sleep for 5 days a doctor recommended that I take Elavil. I've only taken it for 2 days but I did sleep almost 6 hours last night with little pain. I'm confident that this is going to save my sanity and help with the nerve pain. So far very happy."

Anonymous March 19, 2014

228 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking this medicine 4 months ago for my nerve pain in low dose of 10 mg twice a day and maybe a bit for depression. It does not help at all for the pain but it does help to fall asleep faster and for my mood."

Transparent911 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2013

162 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medicine is AMAZING for pain. I have trigeminal neuralgia and I take it at night. It gives you a calm feeling and makes you not care about the pain. I just had my dose doubled and it takes a few days to get used to the medicine and/or new levels and the higher dose knocked me out for literally two days, just like when it was first prescribed. But I can't rave about it enough."

TN in TX (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 7, 2013

236 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After 12 years of dealing with EVERY DAY a tugging and pulling feeling in my brain, causing me to be determined disabled. I have a new doctor who yesterday started me on 10mg Elavil. I came to this website to read the comments to see if I dared believe that I could be feeling like I was finally given a miracle that might cure my diagnosed "transformed migraine" condition! TODAY, for the FIRST time in 12 years, there is no debilitating tugging and pulling, although I feel sleepy and I do feel a slight steady "pull"."

Eliora (taken for less than 1 month) January 29, 2013

136 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on a 75mg of Elavil for over a year now for degenerative disc decease and 2 bad knees, it helps me sleep but the pain is still bad even with a morphine patch and oxycodone, but maybe my case is a rare one."

Anonymous January 23, 2013

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm on 200 mg at night. I know it's more than most people. I have chronic pain from degenerative bone disease plus I'm bipolar. This med is old school but it has helped me more than any of the newer meds. It is worth trying if other meds haven't helped."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 1, 2012

131 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"No relief. Just made you completely wiped out."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2012

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on Elavil for 7 months now. I take 20mg every night for severe pain in my shoulders, arms and neck and also for depression. It's the best thing I have taken and I have tried loads of medicine but none have worked. I also couldnt sleep, but now I don't have pain. I am a lot calmer and I have never slept as good. I haven't put weight on either. It's the best tablet that I have been on."

Anonymous March 20, 2012

264 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I use Elavil for fibromyalgia...it has worked wonders for my sleep issues. My overall quality of life has dramatically increased simply because I am able to get the sleep I so needed and its helping with depression/anxiety. It works better than Ambien. My dose now is only 50 mg...so glad I tried this medicine. I am very scared of antidepressants due to a horrible reaction from Cymbalta but Elavil is an older medication and its chemical makeup is different than most of the newer SSRIs. I went from sleeping on average of 4 to 5 hours a night...now I can sleep 10 without ever waking up..literally something I haven't been able to do in 5 years. This medicine is the best medicine for me, and I've tried everything out there as I have had Fibro for 8 years."

Anonymous February 29, 2012

218 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"No side effects other than some dry mouth. I have had pain in my upper mid right back for several years. The pain radiated to underneath my right rib cage. After 2 years and many CT scans, my surgeon removed my gallbladder. It was diseased and had small stones, but my condition did not improve. My surgeon said that he thought my pain could be skeletal and started me on a muscle relaxer with a low dose of Elavil at night. My pain has almost subsided and my neuropathy is much better. I am so glad to be taking it."

Robbie D November 19, 2011

159 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm 27 yrs old and have been through 2 back surgeries for a couple of herniated discs in my lower back. Over time, as my back pain worsened, I started developing migraines, which started at maybe one a month and soon developed into one a week, lasting 2-3 days at a time. I was forced to take a leave of absence from my job due to my worsening back pain coupled with the nuclear bombs (migraines) erupting inside my head on an almost daily basis. Needless to say, my mood and overall disposition deteriorated rapidly and I had little to no hope that I'd ever return to a normal way of living. That is until my neurologist prescribed me Elavil. Two words: GOD, SEND. Migraines - GONE. Back to work - FULL TIME. Life = AMAZING."

TuTenKommon May 21, 2010

302 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I developed near-total numbness in my thigh over a period of 2 months after which the surface pain was unbearable. I couldn't even touch the hairs on my thigh without gritting my teeth in pain. I saw a neurologist who couldn't identify the cause even after MRI, EMG and blood work. After trying Lyrica for the pain (which didn't help at all), he gave me Elavil. Using only a 25mg dose, the pain disappeared completely after one week. I did have some dry-mouth as a side effect for awhile, but that has subsided somewhat. Great stuff!"

Beancounter53 December 22, 2009

182 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After a car accident a year ago and having horrible life disrupting headaches everyday I finally got prescribed Elavil at 25mg once before bed. It has improved most of my headaches and I sleep like a champ...all the time! Only downfalls are I sleep more now than ever and I have gained 15 lbs. I almost think I'd rather have headaches than gain this weight."

moosiepoo December 12, 2009

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was given this for pain and insomnia. Didn't take it at first because I have a fear of drugs but after being on this for a week I wish I had taken it sooner. I am sleeping better and my pain is less. I have fibromyalgia along with Panic/Anxiety. This is a drug that helps it all with very few side effects for me (just dry mouth)."

Tamz August 26, 2009

201 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Elavil is also great for preventing migraines. If taken on a daily basis, you will experience less headaches. It is also great as a sleep medication and for nerve pain."

Anonymous June 18, 2009

147 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Have been using it to treat Trigeminal Neuralgia, 10 mg at night, and it works great for keeping the pain away at night and to get a good nights sleep."

Anonymous July 8, 2008