User Reviews for Elavil to treat Pain

Elavil has an average rating of 7.4 out of 10 from a total of 29 ratings for the treatment of Pain. 66% of those users who reviewed Elavil reported a positive effect, while 14% reported a negative effect.

Elavil Rating Summary

7.4/10 average rating

Compare all 1431 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for Elavil

Prowler6b · Taken for less than 1 month January 28, 2021

“Was prescribed Elavil for sciatica pain that affected me painfully several times a night, waking me from sleep. Took 10mg dose at night for three days and had no pain from the first night. However, I read it interacts with Sotalol that I take for heart rhythm. So disappointed that I Had to stop Eavil.”

Joan · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 16, 2020

“My doctor prescribed this drug to treat my severe, chronic migraines. It was a horrible experience. I had vivid nightmares every night and stopped caring about anything. It felt like I was in a fog half the time.”

Nlil · Taken for less than 1 month July 3, 2019

“Was prescribed a low doses for my IBS related pain. It did help my stomach but suffered badly with the side effects. Would take at night before bed but in the the daytime I’d experience shakes, anxiety, had severe trouble focussing and could barely string sentences together so stopped taking it two days ago. Still suffering bad shakes and difficulty concentrating. Be very careful with it.”

Anonymous March 19, 2014

“I have been experiencing tremendous constant pain in my right arm and shoulder caused by Multiple Sclerosis nerve pain. I've never experienced such pain before. Not being able to sleep for 5 days a doctor recommended that I take Elavil. I've only taken it for 2 days but I did sleep almost 6 hours last night with little pain. I'm confident that this is going to save my sanity and help with the nerve pain. So far very happy.”

Anonymous March 20, 2012

“I have been on Elavil for 7 months now. I take 20mg every night for severe pain in my shoulders, arms and neck and also for depression. It's the best thing I have taken and I have tried loads of medicine but none have worked. I also couldnt sleep, but now I don't have pain. I am a lot calmer and I have never slept as good. I haven't put weight on either. It's the best tablet that I have been on.”

TN in TX · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 7, 2013

“This medicine is AMAZING for pain. I have trigeminal neuralgia and I take it at night. It gives you a calm feeling and makes you not care about the pain. I just had my dose doubled and it takes a few days to get used to the medicine and/or new levels and the higher dose knocked me out for literally two days, just like when it was first prescribed. But I can't rave about it enough.”

Frugalone · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 30, 2014

“This was prescribe to me years ago in the late 1980's for pain, insomnia and stress. It was a blessing for me being able to sleep, no more pain and stress diminished. I slowly stopped taking it after being on it for three years with no problems after that. I was going through a lot of stress in my life, deaths, empty nest, break ups, job changes, etc.”

Anonymous February 29, 2012

“I use Elavil for fibromyalgia...it has worked wonders for my sleep issues. My overall quality of life has dramatically increased simply because I am able to get the sleep I so needed and its helping with depression/anxiety. It works better than Ambien. My dose now is only 50 mg...so glad I tried this medicine. I am very scared of antidepressants due to a horrible reaction from Cymbalta but Elavil is an older medication and its chemical makeup is different than most of the newer SSRIs. I went from sleeping on average of 4 to 5 hours a night...now I can sleep 10 without ever waking up..literally something I haven't been able to do in 5 years. This medicine is the best medicine for me, and I've tried everything out there as I have had Fibro for 8 years.”

Transparent911 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 21, 2013

“I started taking this medicine 4 months ago for my nerve pain in low dose of 10 mg twice a day and maybe a bit for depression. It does not help at all for the pain but it does help to fall asleep faster and for my mood.”

pain and sleep and sleep and stress · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 19, 2014

“I took Elavil 100 mg for migraine and sleep back in 90's wow solved my problems. Quit taking, and now I'm on 200 mg sleep and neuropathy from diabetes, sleep and stress. I take other medicines. I'm not healed just no more pain. Sometimes fall asleep and times just breeze through the day. Elavil helps for many medical problems. Don't like the new medicines. The old medicines work best for me.”

megamaniac December 28, 2007

“This stuff works soooo good. I have IBS and I take 10 mg a night and it works wonders. I don't have pain in my stomach all day long anymore and I have harder bowel movements compared to before I started taking the amitriptyline. I also have bipolar disorder and it helps with my stress levels and keeps me calm. I love this medicine without it I would be lost!”

Tamz August 26, 2009

“I was given this for pain and insomnia. Didn't take it at first because I have a fear of drugs but after being on this for a week I wish I had taken it sooner. I am sleeping better and my pain is less. I have fibromyalgia along with Panic/Anxiety. This is a drug that helps it all with very few side effects for me (just dry mouth).”

Robbie D November 19, 2011

“No side effects other than some dry mouth. I have had pain in my upper mid right back for several years. The pain radiated to underneath my right rib cage. After 2 years and many CT scans, my surgeon removed my gallbladder. It was diseased and had small stones, but my condition did not improve. My surgeon said that he thought my pain could be skeletal and started me on a muscle relaxer with a low dose of Elavil at night. My pain has almost subsided and my neuropathy is much better. I am so glad to be taking it.”

Beancounter53 December 22, 2009

“I developed near-total numbness in my thigh over a period of 2 months after which the surface pain was unbearable. I couldn't even touch the hairs on my thigh without gritting my teeth in pain. I saw a neurologist who couldn't identify the cause even after MRI, EMG and blood work. After trying Lyrica for the pain (which didn't help at all), he gave me Elavil. Using only a 25mg dose, the pain disappeared completely after one week. I did have some dry-mouth as a side effect for awhile, but that has subsided somewhat. Great stuff!”

Eliora · Taken for less than 1 month January 29, 2013

“After 12 years of dealing with EVERY DAY a tugging and pulling feeling in my brain, causing me to be determined disabled. I have a new doctor who yesterday started me on 10mg Elavil. I came to this website to read the comments to see if I dared believe that I could be feeling like I was finally given a miracle that might cure my diagnosed "transformed migraine" condition! TODAY, for the FIRST time in 12 years, there is no debilitating tugging and pulling, although I feel sleepy and I do feel a slight steady "pull".”

Anonymous March 13, 2008

“I have cronic pain due to neck and head pain. I have been taking elavil for 5 years 75mg a night. It doesn't help with the pain but I am able to sleep past the pain. If you have issues sleeping for what ever reason give it a try. I can sleep most of the night and I do not have a hang over the next morning.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 1, 2012

“I'm on 200 mg at night. I know it's more than most people. I have chronic pain from degenerative bone disease plus I'm bipolar. This med is old school but it has helped me more than any of the newer meds. It is worth trying if other meds haven't helped.”

Kristara · Taken for less than 1 month June 2, 2015

“I was prescribed this after a severe TBI and broken neck, it was suppose to help my headaches. After about a week it turned me into a rapid cycling bipolar suicidal freak, one second driving singing happy, next second I was trying to swerve in front of a semi.”

KYGrl133 May 6, 2016

“Have been taking for over 1 week now and after have all over fibromyalgia pain as well as night sweats, I am sleeping much better and my pain is 1/2 what it was. I was told to give it 60 days to really work but I felt better after one day.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 4, 2017

“I was given this medication to help my daily chronic headaches. Started it a little over a month ago. Three days in I had one of the worst headaches ever. After that the headaches started to diminish. I now have weakness and loss of feeling in my hands arms and legs and feet, seizure activity, confusion, and sleeping all the time. I don't feel like myself and I'm super miserable all the time. Dr doesn't want to take me off this medication but I cannot live life like this. I don't recommend this medication.”

smack · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 6, 2019

“I started this drug as a migraine prevention treatment, beginning with 10 mg and moving up to 50. I also have fibromyalgia. This medication did not help me whatsoever with the migraines or the fibro. Thankfully, it does help with insomnia but I was really super disappointed that I didn't get any headache relief. It also makes me feel stupid because I'm constantly hungover and tired during the day.”

Anonymous January 23, 2013

“I have been on a 75mg of Elavil for over a year now for degenerative disc decease and 2 bad knees, it helps me sleep but the pain is still bad even with a morphine patch and oxycodone, but maybe my case is a rare one.”

Fal · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 4, 2016

“Was prescribed Elavil mainly for chronic headaches. Also suffer from depression, anxiety and insomnia so my neurologist had me start Elavil to try and kill many birds with one stone, so to speak. Elavil worked great to reduce the intensity of my headaches. Although they were still going on it was much more tolerable. I had been on Elavil only one month and a week before I stopped. First week my insomnia and anxiety seemed to be simmering down (This stopped soon after week 2). As for my depression... Elavil put it under a magnifying glass. I was suicidal and crying on a daily basis, it was not the medication for me... It helped with the main objective but at a horrible cost.”

Best ever · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 11, 2018

“I started on the dose 25mg at bedtime so I wouldn't wake up with a sore back and shoulder. This was a year ago.Best pain regimen to date!!! Side effect of restful sleep and joint pain almost gone every day!!! Why did it take so long to find this???”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 19, 2016

“I have been on multiple medications for the burning and tingling and shooting pains in lower legs. Finally have found the most rewarding relief. I seen a endoctronologist and she ordered a nutriotional drug called Metanex. I take 1 capsule twice a day and the Elavil 50 mg at bedtime. I give thanks to God and that's it. unbelievable relief in the symptoms I have suffered with for over a year. anyone with these symptoms should look into getting there Dr to order the Metanex for them in conjunction with the Elavil.”

moosiepoo December 12, 2009

“After a car accident a year ago and having horrible life disrupting headaches everyday I finally got prescribed Elavil at 25mg once before bed. It has improved most of my headaches and I sleep like a champ...all the time! Only downfalls are I sleep more now than ever and I have gained 15 lbs. I almost think I'd rather have headaches than gain this weight.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 19, 2016

“Very good for nerve pain, helps with sleep but are slightly groggy in the morning.”

Anonymous April 14, 2008

“I started on 75mg at night for fibromyalgia about 3 weeks ago. I've gone from constant, excruciating pain, to almost none. So far so good though & no weird food cravings at all.”