User Reviews for Elavil to treat Insomnia

Elavil has an average rating of 7.3 out of 10 from a total of 26 ratings for the treatment of Insomnia. 73% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 15% reported a negative effect.

Elavil Rating Summary

7.3/10 average rating

Compare all 81 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Elavil

Scooter · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 10, 2019

“I was originally prescribed Elavil for a chronic cough, and it was amazing. Within about one hour after taking the first 10 mg tablet my cough was gone. I have, just like my grandfather and my mother, always suffered from insomnia. My Doctor mentioned that it was also a really good medicine for insomnia. I had been taking 75 mg of Benadryl for many years to help me sleep. I was able to completely stop taking benadryl and the Elavil has cured my insomnia too. I have not suffered any side effects at all.”

Sam · Taken for less than 1 month May 30, 2019

“This is a terrible drug. Took Elavil 25g as was prescribed arthritis pain which would also help with insomnia. Put me in a hazy not a full sleep with vivid scary nightmares which were very disturbing and terrifying. My heart was pounding loudly in my chest, sweating, unable to feel anything, felt totally spaced out until six the following evening. Shaky, nervous and very anxious. Could not safely drive as I felt drunk. Take my advise keep away from this drug it’s scary and frightening.”

Matvei · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 19, 2020

“I've had insomnia almost every way you can have it, so I've tried the whole raft of sedatives and hypnotics. Only three have worked: diphenhydramine (Benadryl), doxepin/Silenor, and this. Just the fact that it keeps me asleep is such a godsend that I can't give it a bad review, but ... Of the three drugs that work, this is the worst. It has more neurological side effects, it puts me in a lousy mood that lasts most of the next day (not terrible, but maybe 25% grumpier than usual), and it leads to weight gain even at the lowest dose (10mg). If my hormones are out of whack (high cortisol) amitriptyline doesn't make me groggy, but if they're in line it really does, leaving me wool-headed until the middle of the afternoon. It also has negative interactions with a bunch of other drugs, so be careful to check it against your other prescriptions/recreational drugs.”

ManicCatAli · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 2, 2014

“Amitriptyline has helped my insomnia by a ten fold. I have issues staying asleep due to my fibromyalgia and anxiety. I sleep all night for once. Unfortunately it has side effects: - No Appetite - Impotence - Daytime Drowsiness - Constipation”

Anonymous April 22, 2008

“I was prescribed Elavil to help me sleep. I use to toss and turn and think about the day, the next day, and the day after. I take this medication and I am asleep within 20 minutes. I sleep all night without waking up. I also take it to get a complete night sleep to refresh my body to fight the next day with fibromyalgia.”

sirius1 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 5, 2018

“I'm 65 years old so when the benzo stop being effective, I used Amitriptyline ( elavil) to sleep. I have to take 3 X 10mg with half of a banana to make it smoother on the empty stomach, to make it work. It has some nasty side effects but they tend to go away after a while. Constipation will not be a problem anymore after a 1 months, drink a lot of water early in the evening to prevent constipation. Dry mouth will always be there, but will become less severe after a while, so chew some gum to fix this problem. Sex will also take a low profile :-) This drug can also be use to make the withdrawal of the benzos much easier to do. You will still sleep and will only need a small dosage of benzo which you can lower slowly but surely. I get a better sleep pattern than the benzos. Waking up ready to drive my car if I need to , unlike the Ambien. Cheap to buy also. My old mother still use it after almost 50 years of usage. She is 85.”

Feefee40215 May 18, 2016

“I have had insomia for months. Dr started me on Elavil 10mg for sleep, within a half hour I'm a sleep. I have not slept this good in a long time. I am not a zombie either in the mornings. I feel very good when I awake. Best thing.”

smack · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 6, 2019

“Amitriptyline has been a godsend for my insomnia. I get a really good sleep eight nights out of 10 with this medication. Started with 10 mg and moved up to 50 mg. It gives me a hangover during much of the next day and I always have to take a nap in the late afternoon but without it I can't sleep at all.”

KAT2603 · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 28, 2013

“I have really, really bad insomnia. I'm up for 3 -4 days straight and after my doctor prescribed me a combination of zopiclone and amitriptyline I'm able to sleep 4-5 hours but your body can become tolerant after a while meaning you may have to increase your dosage. I've had to do this but what I've started to do is try to keep really busy throughout the day and IF needed at night I'll take a smaller dose than prescribed to me or try to go a few days without it then take my regular dose. ”

Anonymous November 7, 2010

“I have a very high tolerance for a lot of pain medications due to pain issues. Your body always needs more and more to produce the same effect until almost nothing works. Fortunately, this type of medication doesn't affect me that way. Although I guess it is mainly used for depression. It has worked like a charm for me to get my body to sleep much longer. And I have never had to increase the dose. The only drawback for me with this medication is that when I do wake up I am pretty groggy for about 45 minutes.”

CP343434 March 9, 2013

“I was put on Elavil to treat sleep deprivation and for pain relief. Took it for four days. It did not help with the pain and it kept me up instead of putting me to sleep. For the first two days I slept for maybe 3 hours total (slept for one hour, woke up for about an hour, fell asleep for an hour, up again, etc.) then the last two days I went for two days straight with no sleep. Very frustrating.”

SAm · Taken for less than 1 month August 17, 2018

“The worst pill I've ever taken for insomnia. I got prescribed Elavil 25mg to take before bed. I took the first tab and it made me very sleepy and dizzy, but I could not fall asleep. I was in a state between sleep and awake. Very dry mouth, very restless and the second morning I felt that I could not move. It also caused me headaches. Will be throwing the rest in the garbage. Terrible drug.”

John AB · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 2, 2017

“I told my doctor about my symptoms and he told me that my symptoms did not appear in his medical handbook so he disregarded my symptoms completely. He said it was mandatory for him to report any symptom not listed in his book to the proper health authorities to update the handbook. However, he didn't report the side effects that I told him about because it was "too much paperwork." Instead, he tried to convince me that it had nothing to do with Elavil and in a threatening demeanour tried to change my mind about my symptoms so that he would not be forced to do any paperwork. After reading this site on Elavil, I see the symptoms that I told my doctor about. I find that my doctor acted in an unsafe, unprofessional, and negligent manner.”

Pricklypear · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 10, 2018

“Elavil 10mg was prescribed mainly for my 24/7 migraine type symptoms and increasing nerve pain. But also for these symptoms now keeping me up at night. I was always a decent sleeper. But 2 yrs ago as the “head bounce” increased so did my upset over it, and it caused chronic insomnia. Elavil works well for nerve pain. I found even handling jigsaw pieces felt like knives cutting into my fingers. Pleasant right? Elavil allowed me to NOT feel that pain! Insomnia. - works! However a month ago- after the third night it increased my head pain. Like sharp stabs. Soooooo. I take 10mg once every few weeks. I realize that isn’t protocol but don’t care. I mix my bedtime routine with an occasional Benadryl and nothing at all. Then another Elavil. Took the Elavil after not taking it for a month last night. Was able to catch up after 2 bad nights. Ahhhhhhhh...... slept very well. Bottle goes back into drawer for another few weeks”

Anonymous August 12, 2011

“After my sister died when I was 12 years old I had a hard time sleeping. Only only getting 3 hours of sleep at a time. My doctor prescribed Elavil and it worked immediately. I can finally concentrate on task that I could not do before. I am taking 200 mg of Elavil.”

Scotishtess June 23, 2009

“I used this for a year for insomnia, but once my sleep cycle got better they took me off of it. I am going to ask for it again as I have been reduced to 3 to 4 hours of sleep once more. I hope it works as well now as it did 20 years ago.”

badkatz May 28, 2010

“It did not help me fall or stay asleep. I took this medication for 3 months. I started out at 25 mg and worked my way up (per doctors orders), to 100 mg. It still did nothing. I weaned myself off of it and it was like I had never taken anything in the first place.”

Cdontask · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 9, 2017

“I've had insomnia for 2 years now. I think I've been on every prescribed and otc meds out there. I was frustrated. Until I asked about elavil and it was a god send. The only side effect I noticed was constipation. Maybe increase in appetite too.”

Don · Taken for 10 years or more May 14, 2020

“Elavil is an OUTSTANDING DRUG for insomnia! Took 25mg 45 minutes before bed. Now after 20 years I take 50mg. Without it, I can’t sleep at all! I’d rate it a 15!”

wa9mrn October 1, 2013

“Helped me sleep through the night with no side effects.”

Tinkerbell007 March 2, 2015

“Works wonderful for insomnia. Just the side effects are terrible. Headaches, drowsiness and WEIGHT GAIN!”

Anonymous October 6, 2009

“I took Elavil for two years and slept like a champ! I tried everything else on the market, prescription, herbal, over the counter and nothing worked like this did.”

Anonymous March 18, 2012

“Worked wonders for sleep but I'm constantly hungry. I exercise 3 times per week to help keep the weight off. If weight is an issue this might not be the medicine for you. ”

SR · Taken for less than 1 month October 16, 2020

“After taking this the first time, I had the worst headache of my life all night long. Threw the bottle in the trash!”

Anonymous July 21, 2009

“I take Elavil for insomnia and without it I have a terrible time trying to fall asleep.”

Learn more about Insomnia