User Reviews for Alprazolam

Also known as: Alprazolam Intensol, Niravam, Xanax, Xanax XR

Alprazolam Rating Summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 177 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Alprazolam to treat Anxiety

Xanax (alprazolam): "From my experience with Xanax it ruins lives, period. Xanax was made for 14 day use for acute crisis but is grossly misprescribed. Xanax is more addictive than heroin and turns normal people into weird and angry shells of who they previously were. The drug causes the brain to stop producing chemicals it needs and the half life is so short that you go into withdrawal every time the drug “runs out” every 4 hours. You believes the feeling is “anxiety” and take another pill to treat it! However the feeling is just withdrawal. You will need more and more of the drug just to get the original effects and you will not really be aware of how you’re acting. The longer you take the drug the worse it gets- and eventually the doctor who got you hooked on it will stop prescribing it. A safe way to get off of Xanax is the Ashton method (Benzodiazepines How They Work & How to Withdraw)- switching slowly from Xanax to Valium. Valium like a longer acting form of Xanax which then is easier to cut down on. I urge you never to start the drug."

NoToX (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 9, 2018

Xanax (alprazolam): "Been on Xanax for almost 10 years. It has saved my life and I mean that. I couldn’t function from the severe anxiety that I would get everyday. I recently moved and my new psychiatrist won’t prescribe it to me. I am just thankful I still have 3 more scripts I can fill. He’s trying to get me off it by putting me on Buspar. What a mess this drug is. I can’t sleep and am nauseous all day long. Still take a low dose of my Xanax while on it but it scares me having to give up the only thing that has helped me over all theses years. People who abuse it have given it a horrible reputation and it’s not available for the responsible people that really need it."

BW (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 9, 2018

"I have taking this medication for almost three decades, suffering with severe anxiety and OCD on a daily basis which crippled my life, I was prescribed four capsules of 0.25mg Alprazolam to be taken daily and I began to see immense benefits immediately, also taking an SSRI called Anafranil. Some days I take less, some days I take more, and at times I don't take the medication whatsoever, I have not felt any withdrawal symptoms. I live an incredibly stressful life and this medication has allowed me to live an ordinary life, take care of family, become more social and undertake general daily tasks. I have also tried numerous other Anti-Anxiety medications such as Ativan and Valium however I always find myself returning to Alprazolam, found that it always works much much better."

Fatima (taken for 10 years or more) October 8, 2018

Xanax (alprazolam): "I don’t remember a time when I wasn’t severely depressed & anxious & without obsessive thoughts. I had severe emotional abuse/twisted mental abuse from my first memory at 3 until I was an adult. I’m 43. There are times I’ll go for days & not need Xanax or take it. But when the panicking & anxiety start I can take 5-6 mg (no, not .5 - actually 5) and finally function. I only use it as needed although I’ve been told I should take it daily. Drug seekers have hurt people like me SO bad. This is the only medication that works when I panic or feel anxiety to the point of wanting to die. I have & never will abuse it, but if I didn’t have it I would for sure be dead. I’ve NEVER had a withdrawal feeling or problem at all. But at that level of panic and obsession I am crippled. My daily meds (esp the anafranil) work very well now to prevent this , but when I get triggered, it’s a wrap. So there ARE some people who aren’t abusers, & who couldn’t function without it."

D October 5, 2018

Xanax (alprazolam): "This medication make me really happy with stress relief, anxiety relief and lot of energy, love it no side effects. First few days might cause drowsiness but then it goes away."

tayshalee October 2, 2018

Xanax (alprazolam): "I had severe postpartum anxiety to the point of no sleep for 3 months, which made me lose touch with all reality. I couldn’t take benzos as I was determined to breastfeed. Once I got through another bout of insomnia when I stopped breastfeeding I was suicidal from lack of sleep and panic/anxiety. I was put on xanax, .125 to .25 per day before bed. 4 years later I still have anxiety around sleep, so I take half the lowest dose 45 mins before bed. I struggle with sleep at times but I have not increased my dose over the 4 years and don’t freak out or withdraw if I miss a dose. My doctor hired a new nurse who seems bent on getting me off it, makes me plead my case to get refills. I don’t understand this thinking-a low dose of Xanax forever is better than a strung out suicidal insomniac. I have tried all SSRIs, hypnosis, counselling, meditation, CBTI for insomnia and hormone therapy. Nothing works as well as half a xanax 45 mins before bed. It’s just reality for me."

Q (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 2, 2018

Xanax (alprazolam): "Xanax has helped my anxiety and panic disorder for decades. Over the years, some doctors have tried to replace it with antidepressants which didn’t end well for me. One antidepressant even made me feel suicidal since depression is the opposite of anxiety. My Xanax dosage has been tapered in half over the past year and this past July I had a seizure. I am 56 years old with tachycardia and have never abused my medications. I sure wish they hadn’t started changing them again with my aging. I suffer anxiety and PTSD which I kept under control, living with a quality of life, enjoying my grandchildren, grocery shopping for myself living alone with my arthritis disability smiling through the pain. Not so much now, as my heart rate stays over 100 at rest so my GP referred me to a cardiologist. I’m aware of my leaky valve from birth lol. Good luck all. This has been a good medication for me."

Sybil1234 September 29, 2018

Xanax (alprazolam): "I have been on this medication for more than ten years and I have mixed feelings. It is VERY effective for anxiety (I have dissociative disorder), but there are many times I wish I didn't rely on it. I only take 0.5 x 4 per day, but if I stop taking it I will have a tonic-clonic seizure. I am at the mercy of my dr (who is wonderful). If a dr. decides not to prescribe it, I get very ill. It's been wonderful for me, but consider the severe, yet common, side effects for long term use."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) September 27, 2018

Xanax (alprazolam): "Xanax can be wonderful for anxiety. I am prescribed 0.5mg 4x a day but I don’t take it most days. I do have anxiety every day and think about taking them but if at all possible I try not to take them. If I take them every day or too often I get depressed. But proper use helps me to actually get things done that I would not have the energy or drive to get out of the house"

Hopeful September 23, 2018

"I have suffered from anxiety and panic attacks for a few years now. Recently my girlfriend of 6 years and I broke up and I've been flooded with anxiety again. My doctor prescribed me Alprazolam 0.5mg doses to be taken 2 times a day. I'm only 23 and don't want to become addicted so I only take a half, which is 0.25 mg, when I am having severe anxiety or a panic attack. It has helped me a lot when this happens. I would suggest only taking it when absolutely necessary to avoid becoming dependent. I honestly feel the best way to naturally help with anxiety, depression, and panic disorders would be to live a healthier life. Try a hobby, exercise, eat healthy, surround yourself with the ones you love and practice mindfulness to help push through the problems so they don't control your life. I'm currently in the process of doing the things I aforementioned so I will try to update on this as I continue along with it. Don't get discouraged and believe in yourself."

Don Juan September 13, 2018

Xanax (alprazolam): "I take a 0.5 mg pill about once or twice per week. I see a lot of people on here slamming the drug as exceedingly dangerous. If you take it every day for a while, your brain will begin to alter itself in response to the constant abundance of the chemical. This means if you suddenly stop taking it, after several weeks of daily use, you’re going to hate life for a while. It will take your brain a while to return to its previous state, from before you started taking the medication. I sometimes go weeks without taking it, and sometimes I’ll take it 3 times in one week. I have no problems, and it’s highly effective."

Bill September 11, 2018

"It worked!! But I got an headache afterwards. Dose 0.5mg is enough for me I am 21 male"

Ayush145ch September 7, 2018

Xanax (alprazolam): "Xanax is one of the hardest, if not the hardest drug to quit taking. Even harder than heroin according to my doctor. Was so hard for me for almost 3 months after using them everyday for 2 years. Will never take one of them again. They actually just takes away your anxiety while you are on them. Problem is that all of us are using them for a period. Then you get all the anxiety back again and the problem is now it is 5 x worse than what it was to begin with. Stopping my Xanax like I wanted to do the first day - just stop taking them - is dangerous my Doctor said that would not be possible, since I actually could die from it. So instead it is a slow painful reduction of dosage day after day. Just as warning take Valium, or in that range instead it is much less stress when you are quitting them"

Taptech (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 29, 2018

Xanax (alprazolam): "I've was diagnosed with chronic panic anxiety disorder almost 30 years ago and put on Xanax. I also have horrific migraines, so I cannot take antidepressants. I've taken 0.5mg 5 times a day for years with no problems working, thinking, or functioning. Now the feds have decided that Xanax is addictive and my insurance company is questioning my doctor on filling my script. I know all the dangers of tapering and cannot imagine what's going to happen to me. Just the thought makes me nervous. This form of anxiety runs in my family."

City Pastor (taken for 10 years or more) August 13, 2018

Xanax (alprazolam): "I have been taking Xanax for a while now and it really controlled my anxiety. I also have afib and anyone who has it knows how annoying that can be. Now when I have afib I take a Xanax and calms it down I also spoke to several people who have afib and yes Xanax helps calm it down. So don't let any doctors tell you any different Xanax can be a wonder drug when used properly"

Mikeyboy 60 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 16, 2018

"This is the best drug for anxiety. The first few times I took it, it made me sleepy, but it's not as bad now. Perfect for just before socializing (for me). I think one bottle of 30 lasted me 18 months or more. Only needed once or twice a month, and that worked great for my needs."

rlcourtney (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 5, 2018

Xanax (alprazolam): "The negative reviews on here about this med are coming from people who take it everyday. Folks, DO NOT take this medicine every day it's for occasional use only. It's like alcohol; having a drink once in a while here or there is fine but getting drunk all day every day is obviously not a good idea. Same thing with the Xanax. Taking it once in a while when required is fine but using it every day will give you horrible withdrawals. I have the XR version that I literally take "once in a blue moon" for emergency situations only. It works great. Basic rule of thumb: don't take it more than once per week and if you have to don't take it more than 2 days in a row."

dustbunny123 June 25, 2018

"Alprazolam helped me through menopause, got me to retirement in a disorganized school district with nothing but behavioral problems. It is now helping with the anxiety attacks I have been having since I had a TIA, mild stroke, while in the classroom."

Dee Dee (taken for 10 years or more) June 19, 2018

Xanax (alprazolam): "Hello I've been taking xanax for 25 years and still going, it's done wonderful in my life. But also it's not for everyone."

Gretchen (taken for 10 years or more) June 17, 2018

Xanax (alprazolam): "Seriously I would be dead without this medication. Pop culture has given it the bad rep but as a prescribed user of this god sent medicine from the beautiful minds at pfizer I humbly thank you for saving my life. Had I known and addressed my severe depression, agoraphobia, anxiety & PTSD, (the alphabet goes on).. I would have NEVER SUFFERED FROM A STROKE IN 2010 DUE TO MY CONDITIONS that I had no idea there was a word for what's wrong with me. This is a quick acting short shelf life in the system type of medicine so it's a here, now, gone feeling. The low doses are like a mini invisible hug, the 2 mgs help me sleep and dream of a better life and wake up to my Starbucks feeling alert as the medicine did it's thing on my heart and mind. If during the day I feel sick with chest pain from anxiety it offers immediate relief. I am responsible in my consumption. Thank you to the hard working medical professionals for understanding the pain of the unseen sicknesses."

ShaolinXantastic (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 9, 2018

"This does't work"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) June 6, 2018

Alprazolam Intensol (alprazolam): "͏Li͏f͏e saver indeed. Sometimes I feel as if I can’t breathe and small places freak me out so this medication cures that !"

Orca (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 21, 2018

"After 23 years of severe anxiety/panic disorder alprazolam is a miracle drug for me. I went from avoiding phone calls and knocks on the door to walking into a room full of strangers."

Joe (taken for 10 years or more) May 17, 2018

Xanax (alprazolam): "Careful with this one. Very addictive. It was prescribed for anxiety but after a while I found myself habitually taking it and getting desperately anxious when I didn’t. Addiction to barbiturates in my mid forties was not part of the plan, so I stopped. Withdrawals were terrible. I also, experienced short term memory issues. I achieved safer results with anti-depressants, although they take a week or more to ‘work’ they are not addictive. Lifestyle changes also helped, no drinking, took up jogging, gym and watching what I eat and being more mindful of the spiritual aspects of life. Pretty obvious stuff really..."

GJ (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 13, 2018

"I’m a very anxious person and have frequent panic attacks. I also suffer from PTSD I’ve been abused as a child and during my marriage and I have been raped 2 times and my anxiety level is off the chart. In all reality this medicine has saved my life."

Chrissy (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 10, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...

Learn more about Anxiety