User Reviews for Alprazolam

Also known as: Alprazolam Intensol, Niravam, Xanax, Xanax XR

Learn more about Alprazolam.

Alprazolam Rating Summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Alprazolam to treat Anxiety

Xanax (alprazolam): "I was diagnosed with panic disorder and generalised anxiety disorder 24 years ago. I suffered for many years during that time and did not take any medication with the view that I would fix the issue naturally. I tried the natural way for years, avoidance behaviour became the norm and a way of coping. 9 years ago I was at tipping point in a very stressful job and finally was prescribed xanax (alprazolam) by a GP. For the first time since my teens when the anxiety began, I finally had relief. This medication has been a complete game changer for me and has improved my quality of life by 1000%. I have been taking 0.5 mg twice a day for the past 8 years and haven't had to increase the dosage. This medication is now sadly classified as a level 8 drug in Australia due to people who don't need it abusing the drug and ruining it for those who really need it. My psychiatrist is now trying to switch me to Ativan. I have been taking it for approximately a month now and it makes me feel depressed and empty and I have never had depression. I need 2 mg to ease my anxiety (double the dose of xanax) and it basically makes me feel like crap. Feeling incredibly overwhelmed and annoyed that this medication which has helped me so much will probably no longer be available in Australia."

Emma1818 October 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Alprazolam & Prozac for anxiety/depression. Lamictal for Depression Cocktail is a "10""

XRay&7 (taken for 10 years or more) October 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xanax (alprazolam): "STAY AWAY FROM XANAX. Please!! It will help you -- in the moment. But literally hours later, the rebound anxiety and insomnia will hit you and make you regret taking it at all in the first place. And before you know it you'll go from half a bar to multiple bars just to sleep at night. Oh, and the increased despersonalizion and dark thoughts are not potential "side effects" -- they are some of the many very real, consistently DIRECT EFFECTS of taking Xanax. Benzos should be used as rarely and as short-term as possible. Even in these cases the withdrawal is VERY real...it hurts just to live. Please. Take my word for it. I'm going through it for the TENTH time right now. ADDICTIVE"

Cal Student (taken for less than 1 month) October 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xanax (alprazolam): "Xanax has been great for me! I have suffered horribly for years from GAD, PTSD, bipolar disorder, fibromyalgia... and many more health problems. It actually gives me energy to get things done, and allows for peace and tranquility. I'm prescribed 3mg per day and it also helps me sleep at night. I've had trouble sleeping for years, but this medication has helped so much."

DrGonzo07 September 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xanax (alprazolam): "Xanax has helped me with my activity's anxiety, I have a hard time going out being around people especially, when going places like the doctors, shopping, I have a hard time being around people or even just going outdoors also just going outside in general. I don't like being away from home that's my safe zone. I get scared when I here loud loud noises, I'm afraid people are going to hurt me or the ones I love, I am happy with my dogs and cats want to be left alone, Away from the rest of the world. here are only a few that I can trust, my mother, father, My Dave plus my children, plus my therapist Mark."

Anonymous September 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xanax (alprazolam): "I got prescribed 0.5mg of Xanax, that I take once a day. My wife had just died. My anxiety was so bad I would not leave the house nor would I barely eat. It made me feel alive again and I'm able to function, and get out and socialize like a normal person again. I actually have a appetite now, and I'm getting good sleep again, which I haven't felt in a long time. Xanax really saved my life."

nobodyyspecial September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xanax (alprazolam): "Been on xanax .05 for about two years. Doc put me on just an anti depressant for the first month didn't help ANY, went back and she saw how anxious I was and put me on xanax because I was honest with her and told her a friend gave me a few of hers and it helped my anxiety tons. I get thirty .05 a month and I can go days without them and some days a have to take two or three. Anyone with anxiety disorders know some days aren't easy at all. It helps me just knowing I have them. I still currently take celexa daily I don't know if it really helps my anxiety at all but the combo with the xanax seems to work. I know a lot of ppl don't wanna use pills but I'd much rather have medication than panic attacks."

Anonymous September 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have gone on and off Xanax for a few years now and all I can say is that it WORKS! I take 0.5-1 mg as needed. It kicks in pretty quickly and it's the only med I've tried that can stop a severe panic attack in its tracks. It has helped me regain control of my life and think clearly in stressful situations. I don't get drowsy or feel impaired as long as I don't take more than my dose. Works better for me than Ativan and clonazepam. Make sure you properly taper off this med if you take it for more than a few weeks- I tried to stop cold turkey once and it felt awful."

stephlyudmila (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xanax (alprazolam): "Dad always had some amount of general anxiety but managed it reasonably. In approx 1982 he was prescribed Xanax after his Dad died unexpectedly and he was instructed to take X as needed. He's been on and off X ever since then and has needed progressively more. About 20 years ago he "graduated" to other medications including anti-depressants and at one point was on a combo that resulted in a nearly-successful suicide attempt. He never had suicidal thoughts before or after that particular combo. He's now old and his life is in ruins. He takes X throughout the day but is at the max and cannot take more. Please be aware once you start on these medications you're in it for life. Dr's know this -- job security for them!"

Son1696 (taken for 10 years or more) August 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xanax (alprazolam): "Since my dad got sick and eventually passed away my anxiety depression and fears were just over whelming. I've been having so many intrusive thoughts since then. I had mild depression before he passed its been 5 years and its finally just has destroyed me. I finally went and got help two weeks ago and xanax not only completely calms me down it helps me focus on thing I need to focus on and not let my mind wonder with anxiety and weird thoughts. Miracle drug. Don't abuse it. Use when needed its amazing."

Kingcotten (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xanax (alprazolam): "I have severe anxiety I started out with 0.5 mg of xanex my Dr just upped it too 1 mg twice a day I have a very understanding Dr. He makes sure I always have 6 months worth I am not addicted because I've gone days with out it"

Lisa 8253 August 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xanax (alprazolam): "I have been on SSRI's and benzos for probably 3 or 4 years. SSRI's for depression and on top of that benzos for anxiety and panic attacks. Was on ativan for 3 years and it eventually stopped working. Would take 2 0.5mg pills and it would not affect my anxiety at all. Psychiatrist switched me to xanax 0.5mg everyday as needed up to 3 pills a day. It actually works. It takes a few minutes and wipes away any panic attack and softens my anxiety. I am very careful though because I know it can be very addictive. I was clean off the ativan for months and had no withdrawls so I know I was not addicted to that. Have only been on the xanax a few months and I only take it AS NEEDED so not to get addicted."

LumpyNoodle August 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The one medication that has helped so drastically with depression and anxiety but so addictive if other methods can be found I suggest going down another road"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Alprazolam Intensol (alprazolam): "I suffer from severe depression and anxiety brought on by cancer and anti - hormone drugs. This drug helps me with the panic attacks and anxiety I tend to get almost daily. When I take this medication my attacks are less severe."

Moe12 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xanax (alprazolam): "Until yesterday, I was prescribed .5 mg. Alprazolam(xanax) for panic, anxiety and irregular sleep patterns. I took them for four years. I went to my psychiatrist yesterday for my monthly suboxone appointment(6 yrs). The same psychiatrist who prescribed my .5 mg.xanax. I am taking suboxone for chronic pain issues from a MVA. I had been on prescription oxycontin 60 mg, 2x's/d for 11 yrs. and that doctor retired...no doctor would prescribe a full opiate agonist and that was 5yrs. ago. So I was told yesterday that he could no longer prescribed both xanax and suboxone due to state and federal guidelines. This type of inappropriate prescribing is outrageous. Has anyone else come up against this? I never abused either medications."

(jjul) July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xanax (alprazolam): "I was given an extremely low dosage of this, don't know if that was part of the problem but it didn't do anything for me good or bad."

5150Aries (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xanax (alprazolam): "I'm a 19 year old girl and I've been diagnosed with Anxiety for a long time but never had an anxiety attack until now. My doctor prescribed me this medicine yesterday after I told her I had an anxiety attack 1 day ago. My heart was literally at a speed of 100 but she gave me medicine to slow it down. It really helped me sleep last night too. This medicine took me about 30-45 minutes to kick in and then it knocked me out and I was fast asleep."

Allison Krug (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Yes, this drug works well regarding how fast my anxiety dissipated. My 1st prescription & experience with a drug in the benzo-class. It worked quite a while. My Dr. began my dose 3, 2mg 'bars' a day I had no anxiety. Instead, I felt an alcohol intoxication feeling. My body/brain built a tolerance. I was taking 5 to 7, 2 mgs a day. I functioned as well as anyone. Save for the constant anxiety, I felt great. I decided to stop. I never felt worse. My 5 yr anxiety trial was 10 fold. I began have seizures, cramping, not sleeping, anything, clothing touching skin made my entire body spasm. It is best taken in a low dosage & probably only when one feels an attack. I now take a medication, a benzo-class, lower dose, take less & in therapy. "

TJ3 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had problems driving over bridges so I got Xanax .25mg. I then read the product info, it said, "Do Not take this drug while driving." I also was waking up at 3 or 4 am, not being able to go back to sleep. I was prescribed Ambien but told to take it as I went to sleep. I still woke up after 5 hours even if I took the stronger 8 hour Ambien. I was depressed. Once I night walked & fell downstairs. I decided to take Xanax for my racing mind at 3 am, it works great. I have been taking it for 20 years; have none of the side effects described. When I travel or stay in loud places I take 2 Xanax & sleep better than ever. I have never taken more than 2 in 24 hours. I am 65 & can hike up & down for 8 hours. Still only sleep 5 to 6 hours a night, works for me."

Khaton (taken for 10 years or more) July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So hmmm tho medication has been good to me. But you have to get the dose just right or you will sleep for about ten hours lol. I take 1mg and it seems to work well for my anxiety and my Borderline personality disorder out bursts. You might not focus as well because you will be very relaxed. So if I have to work with my hands, (jewelry smithing, and nails) I only take a half a pill .5 mg. If I'm at home or it's a severe attack/episode I take 1mg. If it's a night terror or panic attack at night that causes insomnia I take 1.5. My dose is 1mg twice a day as needed. But I don't need them twice a day. Maybe once every week or two."

Face Here. July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xanax (alprazolam): "Xanax is like putting a band-aid over a wound that needs stitches. This med helped take the edge off my anxiety and am thankful for it. It will NOT treat GAD properly because you'll be dependent with too many doses, but is a godsend for panic disorders. I still struggle with anxiety (anger, headaches, worrying, crazy thoughts). It helped me be able to sleep, socialize, not have panic attacks at work, great sex drive and I feel calm. I was prescribed 0.5mg twice a day, usually took less otherwise I'd be sleeping all day, only could go about a day without it then I need it again for anxiety. The biggest downside is that it makes me REALLY tired, lazy, poor memory sometimes. When mixed with alcohol I get very angry. Will be looking into SSRIs."

Concavealexx (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xanax (alprazolam): "Xanax is a medication that must be taken seriously and with precaution. This is not a game. Taking it when you don't need to will only create addiction and the withdrawal is worse than living with the actual anxiety. Please don't take this med unless you suffer from anxiety and you are having a panic attack. It works well in these situations but my advice is to stay away from it and only take it in an emergency. I prefer lorazepam. When you take lorazepam the withdrawal symptoms are more tolerable than xanax. Xanax is awesome but it can become Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. You can die from this or get a DUI if you are caught in a driving accident. This is serious."

roxithefox (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xanax (alprazolam): "I was given this after trying several other meds. My doctor gave me 2 mg bars. The yellow ones (generic) aren't bad and the white one isn't either, but them green ones will wipe you out. They are at least 40% stronger despite being the same strength. The use to be very expensive, but are only $5.56 for a 60 pill supply with my insurance ( which is bootleg Obama care)."

Powerful AF (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Worked well for a month then showed its real face. Ended up with memory loss, poor concentration, light headed and feel like a corpse with no life, rather wish life had ended."

Johnycage June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xanax (alprazolam): "The most efficacious and useful anxiolytic I have ever had. Fast acting and requiring three times a day (chronic) administration, but also, along with the recommended 4mg lorazepam IV when actually suffering an attack and a doc is present, by a long way the best acute remedy for anxiety and panic attack."

zaborav (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 11, 2017