User Reviews for Alprazolam

Also known as: Alprazolam Intensol, Niravam, Xanax, Xanax XR

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Alprazolam.

Alprazolam Rating Summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Alprazolam to treat Anxiety

"I’ve been taking Xanax for a few wonderful months it’s been nothing than a magic pill for me. I have had severe anxiety and panic disorder for many years. Tried lorazepam in the strengths of 0.5mg, 1mg, and 2mg tablets but with not with a lot of success. I’ve tried Valium helped a lot but lasted to Long. But Xanax 1mg tablet 3 times a day works wonders. Thank God for Xanax"

Fun me408 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 6, 2018

"Very peppermint tasting"

Bodog69 December 29, 2017

Xanax (alprazolam): "I took Xanax at a party about a year ago, & I was so surprised with the outcome. I was shocked to find out that it actually relieved me of my anxiety. It actually benefiting me in a positive way. I’ve been on Sertraline for about 6 years now, and I’ve thought about talking to my therapist about switching me to Xanax due to the experience I had with it. I may sound really dumb, but it worked like magic."

Anonymous December 27, 2017

Xanax (alprazolam): "I have an overreaction to stressful situations. A situation that the average person takes in stride might put me into panic mode. Xanax is the only thing I've found that calms me down effectively. Depending on the situation it may take 0.25mg - 1.0mg to do the job. Because of it's addictive nature I don't take it every day, just in certain situations, maybe 3-4 times per year. I did have a situation recently where I took about 1.0mg every day for about 1 month. When the situation resolved I quit taking it and I had no withdrawal symptoms."

Warhawk97 (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 25, 2017

Xanax (alprazolam): "The pills that say Xanax on the front and 2 on the back and they are rectangular, they are fake. Be aware"

Don't have nickname (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 23, 2017

Xanax (alprazolam): "I was taking 2mg Xanax XR in the morning and before bed. I took 1 mg Xanax XR in the afternoon. If I would forget to take my meds in the morning, by 1:00 in the afternoon my head would start buzzing, I was agitated and in horrible shape. For years I was living in a fog. I was safely detoxed in the hospital for three days a little over a week ago. The doctor prescribed me 10 mg of Librium 3x day. This medication is mainly used for alcohol detox. It has worked wonders for me. It is another type of benzo, but for the first time in years I am happy and feel alive again. Please do not take Xanax lightly, it is an addictive viscous cycle that can make you feel worse in the long run."

only34me (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 16, 2017

Xanax (alprazolam): "I take xanax to help me sleep and I also take it for anxiety when needed. I haven't really been having problems with either sleep or anxiety for the last 8 months or so. So I have just been taking .25 mg (a half-dose for me) at bedtime. I have been taking xanax on and off for about 10 years. My experience with it has been nothing but positive. I have never had any negative side effects. It just calms me down a little bit and makes me feel feel a little more relaxed. I have never needed to take a bigger dose than .5 mg. It has not been addicting to me at all. But that is probably because I have rarely had to take it more than once a day. A few times when I had bad anxiety, I had to take it twice a day, but those times have been very rare."

SteveGriswaldd December 13, 2017

"I had always suffered from stress, panic attacks, fear of leaving my home or being around people. Fear of going to the grocery store or being judged, attacked in one form or another. I never felt comfortable or that I fit in anywhere. I have PTSD and severe anxiety disorder. I fear the worse all the time. I didn't get started on benzodiazepines until later in life and they helped me in so many ways. Xanax works best for me. They have made it so I want to live. They don't make me tired. I sleep at night without having nightmares and wake up ready to face the day. Yes, I have become dependant on them and what is wrong with needing a medicine that has such a positive affect on my life. My doctor is gone so I have no one to help me."

62 (taken for 10 years or more) November 20, 2017

"I suffered (Idio Pathic) seizures, begining when I was about 14 years old. No lesions on my brain! Then came the Panic Attacks! I was always hyper, as well as my entire family. I thought it was "Normal". Never understood how others where so "Calm". I became a Hair Stylist, and began to make lots of money, goergous women,Yes I am straight),however the attacks kept on coming! I moved from N.J. to Miami. Finally I wound up at a clinic. The shrink gave me a little pink pill and for the first time in my life,I felt like everyone else!!!!! I am now 60 years old! If it weren't for xanax,I would be Searching for illegal alternatives. WARNING. Never take more than prescribed! 30 something years later, I never abuse. Also don't mix it with anything ."

dommo (taken for 10 years or more) November 18, 2017

"This medication is only one for stress panic attacks and more. Others do not work as well. Especially if you're going to work or sleep it makes you relax. But only take it how doctor prescribes for you."

Kerad44 November 9, 2017

"Helped mildly shortly"

Kris711 (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2017

Xanax (alprazolam): "I am prescribed up to 4mg a day and usually take 2 to 3 mg a day. I can't be given any SSRIs due to bad reactions on my maternal side of the family. Xanax just works for me. Was it overprescribed for years and given to people who had no business taking it? Yes. But this drug works wonders for some people. And it's not placebo. Am I dependent? Yes. Is my quality of life better on them? Yes. They don't make me sleepy or black out. In fact they give energy and on bad days motivation to get out of bed. I'm in good health, sleep 6 to 8 hours a day, and can interact with people better. Are they for everyone? NO. But they've helped me immensely."

YIKES! (taken for 10 years or more) November 5, 2017

Xanax (alprazolam): "Works excellent for anxiety. Have horrible social anxiety which I also take Zoloft for but xanax doesn’t really help with it. Not knowing cause my Dr’s didn’t tell me but after being on this a while and at a high dose (for me up to 3mg/day) if you don’t take it everyday you feel like rubbish. Took me almost 2 years to figure this out so regardless if I need it or not I take maybe 1mg as a maintenance dose in the middle of the day. Greatly helps to not feel sick. I also take 30mg of Temazepam at night which I thought would cover me. But for the past 10 days my mood has been really bad, the worst in years and a couple mg’s of Xanax greatly improves it but wouldn’t recommend it since it’s not prescribed to take it that way"

Liz Lemon (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 22, 2017

Xanax (alprazolam): "I was diagnosed with panic disorder and generalised anxiety disorder 24 years ago. I suffered for many years during that time and did not take any medication with the view that I would fix the issue naturally. I tried the natural way for years, avoidance behaviour became the norm and a way of coping. 9 years ago I was at tipping point in a very stressful job and finally was prescribed xanax (alprazolam) by a GP. For the first time since my teens when the anxiety began, I finally had relief. This medication has been a complete game changer for me and has improved my quality of life by 1000%. I have been taking 0.5 mg twice a day for the past 8 years and haven't had to increase the dosage. This medication is now sadly classified as a level 8 drug in Australia due to people who don't need it abusing the drug and ruining it for those who really need it. My psychiatrist is now trying to switch me to Ativan. I have been taking it for approximately a month now and it makes me feel depressed and empty and I have never had depression. I need 2 mg to ease my anxiety (double the dose of xanax) and it basically makes me feel like crap. Feeling incredibly overwhelmed and annoyed that this medication which has helped me so much will probably no longer be available in Australia."

Emma1818 October 15, 2017

"Alprazolam & Prozac for anxiety/depression. Lamictal for Depression Cocktail is a "10""

XRay&7 (taken for 10 years or more) October 11, 2017

Xanax (alprazolam): "STAY AWAY FROM XANAX. Please!! It will help you -- in the moment. But literally hours later, the rebound anxiety and insomnia will hit you and make you regret taking it at all in the first place. And before you know it you'll go from half a bar to multiple bars just to sleep at night. Oh, and the increased despersonalizion and dark thoughts are not potential "side effects" -- they are some of the many very real, consistently DIRECT EFFECTS of taking Xanax. Benzos should be used as rarely and as short-term as possible. Even in these cases the withdrawal is VERY real...it hurts just to live. Please. Take my word for it. I'm going through it for the TENTH time right now. ADDICTIVE"

Cal Student (taken for less than 1 month) October 3, 2017

Xanax (alprazolam): "Xanax has been great for me! I have suffered horribly for years from GAD, PTSD, bipolar disorder, fibromyalgia... and many more health problems. It actually gives me energy to get things done, and allows for peace and tranquility. I'm prescribed 3mg per day and it also helps me sleep at night. I've had trouble sleeping for years, but this medication has helped so much."

DrGonzo07 September 28, 2017

Xanax (alprazolam): "Xanax has helped me with my activity's anxiety, I have a hard time going out being around people especially, when going places like the doctors, shopping, I have a hard time being around people or even just going outdoors also just going outside in general. I don't like being away from home that's my safe zone. I get scared when I here loud loud noises, I'm afraid people are going to hurt me or the ones I love, I am happy with my dogs and cats want to be left alone, Away from the rest of the world. here are only a few that I can trust, my mother, father, My Dave plus my children, plus my therapist Mark."

Anonymous September 17, 2017

Xanax (alprazolam): "I got prescribed 0.5mg of Xanax, that I take once a day. My wife had just died. My anxiety was so bad I would not leave the house nor would I barely eat. It made me feel alive again and I'm able to function, and get out and socialize like a normal person again. I actually have a appetite now, and I'm getting good sleep again, which I haven't felt in a long time. Xanax really saved my life."

nobodyyspecial September 7, 2017

Xanax (alprazolam): "Been on xanax .05 for about two years. Doc put me on just an anti depressant for the first month didn't help ANY, went back and she saw how anxious I was and put me on xanax because I was honest with her and told her a friend gave me a few of hers and it helped my anxiety tons. I get thirty .05 a month and I can go days without them and some days a have to take two or three. Anyone with anxiety disorders know some days aren't easy at all. It helps me just knowing I have them. I still currently take celexa daily I don't know if it really helps my anxiety at all but the combo with the xanax seems to work. I know a lot of ppl don't wanna use pills but I'd much rather have medication than panic attacks."

Anonymous September 1, 2017

"I have gone on and off Xanax for a few years now and all I can say is that it WORKS! I take 0.5-1 mg as needed. It kicks in pretty quickly and it's the only med I've tried that can stop a severe panic attack in its tracks. It has helped me regain control of my life and think clearly in stressful situations. I don't get drowsy or feel impaired as long as I don't take more than my dose. Works better for me than Ativan and clonazepam. Make sure you properly taper off this med if you take it for more than a few weeks- I tried to stop cold turkey once and it felt awful."

stephlyudmila (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 21, 2017

Xanax (alprazolam): "Dad always had some amount of general anxiety but managed it reasonably. In approx 1982 he was prescribed Xanax after his Dad died unexpectedly and he was instructed to take X as needed. He's been on and off X ever since then and has needed progressively more. About 20 years ago he "graduated" to other medications including anti-depressants and at one point was on a combo that resulted in a nearly-successful suicide attempt. He never had suicidal thoughts before or after that particular combo. He's now old and his life is in ruins. He takes X throughout the day but is at the max and cannot take more. Please be aware once you start on these medications you're in it for life. Dr's know this -- job security for them!"

Son1696 (taken for 10 years or more) August 19, 2017

Xanax (alprazolam): "Since my dad got sick and eventually passed away my anxiety depression and fears were just over whelming. I've been having so many intrusive thoughts since then. I had mild depression before he passed its been 5 years and its finally just has destroyed me. I finally went and got help two weeks ago and xanax not only completely calms me down it helps me focus on thing I need to focus on and not let my mind wonder with anxiety and weird thoughts. Miracle drug. Don't abuse it. Use when needed its amazing."

Kingcotten (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2017

Xanax (alprazolam): "I have severe anxiety I started out with 0.5 mg of xanex my Dr just upped it too 1 mg twice a day I have a very understanding Dr. He makes sure I always have 6 months worth I am not addicted because I've gone days with out it"

Lisa 8253 August 8, 2017

Xanax (alprazolam): "I have been on SSRI's and benzos for probably 3 or 4 years. SSRI's for depression and on top of that benzos for anxiety and panic attacks. Was on ativan for 3 years and it eventually stopped working. Would take 2 0.5mg pills and it would not affect my anxiety at all. Psychiatrist switched me to xanax 0.5mg everyday as needed up to 3 pills a day. It actually works. It takes a few minutes and wipes away any panic attack and softens my anxiety. I am very careful though because I know it can be very addictive. I was clean off the ativan for months and had no withdrawls so I know I was not addicted to that. Have only been on the xanax a few months and I only take it AS NEEDED so not to get addicted."

LumpyNoodle August 3, 2017