User Reviews for Alprazolam to treat Anxiety

Also known as: Xanax, Xanax XR, Alprazolam Intensol

Alprazolam Rating Summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Alprazolam

kappa kappa gamma May 31, 2020

Xanax (alprazolam): “I’ve had benzodiazepine prescriptions (ativan, k-pin, & xanax) since 15 y/o until now (20 y/o). Over the past 5 years, it’s been rough managing physical and psychological dependency issues. I’ll blackout for a week at a time and proceed to buy fake xans from friends (usually cut with fentanyl and other bad stuff). During my attempt to wean off the drug, I ended up having a grand mal seizure at a party (Dec. 2019). Since then, managing sobriety from all benzos has lead to self medicating through other substances (cannabis, ketamine, cocaine, kratom, norcos). I was living in my sorority’s chapter house but moved into a fraternity house about 3 months ago, in which 3 brothers are active xanax users. It is really rough Basically, if you’re prone to addiction (runs in the family, other psychiatric conditions, etc) watch out dude”

Reinier · Taken for 10 years or more April 17, 2020

Xanax (alprazolam): “I have used Xanax for 20 years. Always taken it as needed, and it works wonderfully, no side effects at all, no getting used to it as evidenced by not using it for days and no withdrawal. I tried everything else suffering severe side effects like Seroquel. I only need 1mg twice a day, maybe on real panic day three times.”

Noel Garnet · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 10, 2020

Xanax (alprazolam): “This drug has saved me on a thousand occasions, from generalized anxiety to panic attacks or somatic tension, up to situations of severe insomnia where the next day I had to get up early in the morning. I have always considered it a godsend, it is an excellent anxiolytic and it is very useful also for those suffering from sleep disorders, because it does not leave heaviness or numbness the next day, due to its short duration of action in the body. My average dosage is 20 drops (0.50 mg). What can I say, to me it is the best anxiolytic!”

Vin · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 9, 2020

Xanax (alprazolam): “I have Poliaradiculoneuropathy (when polyneuropathy and polyradiculopathy occur together). Xanax is not so great for general anxiety, but I appreciate this drug, since I discovered its off label use for my terrible neuropathy. It reduces my legs pain and stiffness by ca. 70% and set me free from being bedridden. Now I can walk several km with the help of crutches and feel more like human again. I am getting addicted to it, but I could care less.”

PANICATTHEDISCO · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 26, 2020

Xanax (alprazolam): “3yrs on and off as needed. Not sure why this is a popular recreational drug? It really just make me feel normal again when I start getting high bp spikes from anxiety and panic attack symptoms. It definitely works, no side effects that I have been aware of.”

Brokey · Taken for 10 years or more February 25, 2020

Xanax (alprazolam): “I have been on xanax for 30 years and it worked great for my anxiety and panic attacks. I am not addicted but it help with everything bothering me. Well my Dr. just cut me off abruptly ! The withdraw is terrible. I was willing to wean myself off of them but cut off.”

LB · Taken for 10 years or more February 25, 2020

“I was given kalma (generic alprazolam) for anxiety, panic attacks and agoraphobia, I've been on it now since 2004 after the Dr finally talked me into taking them as I didn't want to be taking an addictive medication. Started on 1mg 3 times a day and increased to 2mg 3 times a day. After all these years I am 1 million times worse than I have ever been, totally addicted to the kalma, severe anxiety disorder, severe panic attacks and agoraphobia like you wouldn't believe. I haven't left my house now for over 6 years and totally house bound. The fear the panic attacks has left me so scared that I can't handle being on my own so I have someone with me 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I've lost my wife, my 2 beautiful children all of my friends. This would have to be one of the worst medications I have ever had.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 16, 2020

Xanax (alprazolam): “I have been on xanax for over five years. I am not addicted. I take them as prescribed. I don't drink and I have positive results. I have no side effects”

Sandy February 7, 2020

“Had first anxiety as a young child and then sporadically throughout puberty and into adult life. Was not diagnosed until I was in my 20's. My first medication was Valium for the first 40 years. Became ineffective, then prescribed alprazolam 1 mg as needed. I have no side effects whatsoever and and have continued with alprazolam up to and including present time. I am very functional with it. My life is good, normal, see my PCP regularly. This drug has basically been a great help for a very misunderstood chemical reaction in my brain.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 2, 2020

“I started having severe anxiety back in September. I think it was triggered by nicotine withdrawals, but I was horrified. I couldn’t believe this was happening to me at 27 years old. I was on vacation in Aruba and had to go to the ER over a panic attack! Once I got home, things were better UNTIL November... I stopped Juuling (electronic cigarette) again and the anxiety was even worse than it was before. I was having panic attacks daily that lasted for hours. My mind was I'm the darkest place. I even started to smoke cigarettes again to take off some of the tension. The only thing that made me feel better was alprazolam! I split a .25 into four little pieces and take them as needed (that is how it was prescribed to me.) I hate admitting this, but it’s really a miracle drug. I try really hard not to take it unless I desperately need to because I fear getting addicted. This stuff works, no doubt about it.”

Js · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 1, 2020

Xanax (alprazolam): “I've taken xanax to help me sleep for several years. I try to take it as little as possible so I won't get addicted. It makes me tired, even at.25 so I don't take it during the day. Luckily, I don't suffer from panic attacks very often. I probably take it a few times a month just before bed. It works better than it antihistamines although I frequently wake up after 6 hours which is all it seems to last. I have heard about it leading to Alzheimer's though. I'm afraid of that.”

tiger January 22, 2020

Xanax (alprazolam): “I have been on Xanax for about 20 years, 1mg for sleep. I am not addicted to it but dependent like a person with high blood pressure is dependent on meds., or diabetic dependent on insulin, or humans dependent on oxygen. I have had no side reactions and am 78 years old. It has saved my life. Try not sleeping for a week and see what happens. You will be inside your worse nightmare Why the uproar over physical dependence, I do not know. It must come from the Gov.”

sunnyrayod January 19, 2020

Xanax (alprazolam): “I have been using this drug for several years for my anxiety attacks, and it great. But anxiety has been getting worse and worse especially during work which causes heart stress (thanks so much anxiety..), so my doctor is now letting me take it during my 5-day work week. It works excellently. I am so much more calm and present at work. I will say I am a lot more lethargic, and that is noticeable. But otherwise I have no side effects, so I will continue with this treatment and I am so glad that it is so effective. The good outweighs the bad for me, but I will say that if you tend to be more dependent on drugs like these, I don’t recommend it for you. I have no addiction to it and no withdrawal symptoms when go days without after taking it for multiple days in a row. So just be aware, and pay attention to your body. If you are struggling with learning the difference between wanting another dose and needing another dose, talk to your doctor.”

Gomez · Taken for 10 years or more January 14, 2020

Xanax (alprazolam): “I have been taking xanax for 10 years. Through an alcohol addiction I drink while on Xanax not a good idea If used as prescribed It takes away my panic attacks. I couldn't even leave the house without. It also helped me stop drinking 3 years sober now still on xanax 1 mg 3 times daily. Some days now I don't even take it . With proper self control it saved my life. Hands down. I had a lot of stress since quitting drinking between family members dying. This last year has been hard to say the least 2019 was probably the worst year of my life and I stayed sober through It. No more alcohol”

Mn · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 11, 2020

“I was the one advising others don’t even think about taking it, is a trap that is hard get out of!! But when I started having severe anxiety, Xanax was the only one helped me not to end my life I don’t take it regularly. Take it as needed for 3 years.”

Vintage · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 6, 2020

Xanax (alprazolam): “Suffered major depression and anxiety when my father died when I was 18 years of age. I constantly considered killing my self. Antidepressants and therapy had little effect on my outlook on life. But then I was prescribed Xanax. I learned to calm down and to actually take a look at my life. Just don’t abuse the drug and it works wonders.”

JConrad · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 4, 2020

Xanax (alprazolam): “Well, I have mixed thoughts about Xanax. On one hand, it is a very fast acting drug, and seems to be more "powerful" than klonopin at the same dosage (0.5mg). On the other hand, it seems to have a very short time effect, with a more pronounced "knock out" effect. In short: at least for me klonopin works much better. I stopped cold turkey (not the right thing to do, I know) and had no issues at all. I had taken it for over a year for panic. Also, it seemed to boost my appetite beyond normal levels, but I leave this as an open question as to a plausible effect.”

garen · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 3, 2020

“Originally prescribed a dose of .25mg alprazolam once a day. I needed about 1-3mg to subdue a panic attack. My GP quickly increased the dose to "0.5mg 2x a day as needed". I've been at this dose for 5 years now without need to increase the dosage. I changed GPs. The new GP refused to prescribe me this med I was taking for 3 years. I saw a psychiatrist that reluctantly prescribed xanax at same dose (along with a string of different anti-depressants I have tried in good faith at their recommendation). I have felt since then (about two years) scared every time I have to go see these doctors again that they will want to take away or lower the dosage on me. While I am not physically dependant on the drug (there are times I can go days or a couple weeks without taking any), I do admit I am very psychologically dependant. I feel at the mercy of these doctors, and am terrified they will take it away from me one day. Even while not physically taking the drug, it is comforting to know it's there when I do need it.”

pbirm · Taken for less than 1 month December 30, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam): “I have been having sleep issues for years. At times its not too bad but lately it's been hard to fall a asleep. I also get up multiple times to urinate due to an enlarged prostate. I'm 51. My wife had some Xanax and she told me to try one before going to bed. I used it the last 2 nights. The pills are 0.5 mg. OMG, I slept like a BABY for the 2 nights and felt so refreshed. I also only got up once to use the bathroom. Most nights I get up almost every hour to urinate. That wreaks my sleep. I will not take the pill every night but I may periodically. Too bad it's not safe to take for a long period of time.”

CountryGal · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 28, 2019

“This has really helped me with anxiety. I first took it when I got on an airplane for the first time. Now, I’m going through menopause and have times with it. I take 0.5 mg on an as needed basis, and have really had not side effects from it.”

CaptainManerica · Taken for 10 years or more December 26, 2019

“I have a generalized anxiety disorder with panic attacks and depression. I have taken Xanax for at least a decade now. My PCP had me up to 2mg twice a day. However, I didn’t like the thought of having anxiety or a panic attack merely because I didn’t have my Xanax. It felt too addictive, and I’ve never been addicted to anything. I finally started tapering myself earlier this year and by Christmas I was down to just 1mg every couple of days. I honestly feel like the Xanax help level me out, but I feel that there are more long term side effects (such as dependency) if not taken as prescribed. I have never been red flagged. I have never filled a prescription early. I worked with my doctor over the course of a decade to get the proper dose, and I have spoken with my doctor about all side effects and issues.”

Tev · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 18, 2019

“It takes a act of Congress to get this help from this medicine anymore. So many people have abused it to the point doctors will force you to spend hundreds of dollars on trials of medicines that simply don’t work on a lot of people. I have chronic pain after several very serious surgery’s and have never in 12 years had a count issue I even had my medicine lowered in mg. Then I now am depressed and have several anxiety and the doctors treat you like a drug addict on the street. I’m very seriously thinking about just stop going at all anymore a 0.5 pill isn’t helping me and all the money I’m spending on the other medicines that don’t work why on disability actually makes the anxiety and depression worse. Your truly fighting a loss cause”

Lee · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 18, 2019

“I was prescribed alprazolam 10 years ago,I have bad anxiety, it let me lead a normal fun life, trips etc. My Doctor of 20 years retired recently. Now I have seen two doctors and they will not let me stay on it. Forced taper. Really scared. This med gave me back my life.”

JCD December 17, 2019

“4 years ago, my PCP put me on Xanax daily then changed me over to Ativan 1 mg 3 x a day. Then she took me off cold turkey and within 3 weeks I was so ill I thought it was the end. I did not know for 4 months that what I was going through was withdrawal. I went to a psych doctor and he put me back on Xanax and he eventually had me up to 3.5 to 4 mg a day. After a year, I stabilized. I had been having panic attacks and have PTSD as well. The Xanax started to make me have medical issues. I found a group online at Benzo Buddies and for the last year I have been tapering off this drug. I am now down to 1.5 mg. Each time I make a cut I have withdrawal symptoms for a few days and then I wait until I am better and make another cut. I will be so glad when I finally am off it for good. I have found other ways to deal with anxiety. I am a lot better since I have been tapering. Thank goodness I kept researching my symptoms and found Benzo buddies. They have helped me so much.”

Fitness freak December 15, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam): “Was prescribed Xanax .25 mg as needed about 9 months ago. After a few weeks I cut it back on my own to .125 as needed. I’m averaging .1 mg a day. I’m concerned about long term use, ( is 9 months considered long term?) Withdrawal is another fear( does replacing Xanax with another drug make any sense?) and mostly, the dizziness that I feel almost daily, especially when standing up or getting out of bed. Anyone have advice or personal experience that can help me? I’m 62, with 3 widow maker stents, but otherwise in excellent health.”