User Reviews for Alprazolam to treat Anxiety

Also known as: Xanax, Xanax XR, Alprazolam Intensol

Alprazolam Rating Summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 160 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Alprazolam

Xanax (alprazolam): "I've been on Xanax is for 26 years (and I am a certified Master pipe welder) I told my doctors that I've been for over 18 years that I have I am fine with it I've been diagnosed with severe anxiety. I do not want to take orbi I don't want to be taken off my Xanax but what can I do"

R. D. June 13, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam): "Never had a problem, until I lost my insurance and had to change Doctor"

Miss Kitty (taken for 10 years or more) June 13, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam): "I had been on paroxetine (Paxil) on and off for 15 years which worked great for treating generalized anxiety, depression, obsessive thinking, self-esteem, socialability. Without medication I feel like I'm going crazy with the nonstop chatter in my brain and constant worry and doubt.I have achieved so much while on paroxetine, but it eventually pooped out on me on the highest dose. For 2 months I have tried Lexapro now and I feel like it is just making things worse, but when I take a 0.25 Xanax I feel a lot better and the anxiety and constant worry, butterflies in stomach, dreadful feeling about life dissipates. The cloud over me lifts and I can actually feel positive emotions again. They say the benefits of Xanax only last a few hours which is why they can be so addictive, but I feel relief for about 24 hours on the smallest dose. It is making this transition in finding a new long-term solution for my anxiety and depression at least bearable on the days that I really need relief."

Nadethi June 12, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam): "This can be a good medication for many people but please be very cautious. I took it for about 5 years at 4mg per day. That is a relatively high dose. When I was ready to stop (which I did over a 2 week period and I don't recommend that) it took several months to really get back to myself. The interesting thing was that once I got through that period my anxiety and panic attacks stopped. They were at their worst while I took the medication."

Bristol (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 10, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam): "I have tried all possible drugs to relieve anxiety. I practice meditation and few walks per week. Xanax combined with trazodone, it is the only meds that make me normal. Without it, I am clumsy, fearful, afraid of life, paranoic sometimes and hypochondriac. I don't have tolerance problem, never asked to raise the dose in last 3 years. It saved my life."

ReaganFan (taken for 10 years or more) June 10, 2019

"Great for short term anxiety and panic attacks. I’ve been on Xanax 2-3mg 6 days a week for over 10 years now and it’s helped so much with my anxiety, that sometimes I feel fearless. But I’ve realized that I can’t be dependent on a pill for feeling great all the time my whole life, so I’ve been tapering down. It’s worked so well for me that I make sure I take 1 day off a week, make sure I never take more than my recommended dosage. I never drink alcohol on it and I’ve learned that only I am in control of myself, and what happens to me depends on my actions I take now. Xanax is just a tool to help me relax when I’m feeling overly anxious. The only downside of it is if I go 48 hours without it, I get super anxious. Overall a good medication for anxiety, but I’m always careful with it."

DPGC Muzik June 6, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam): "I’m scared I don’t want to be on any medication but I had one panic attack plus I'm deaf but my hearing aids work up to a point I just don’t know what to do"

Moe June 4, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam): "Many have said that alprazolam is a life-saver. I endorse that statement fully. If you panic or become anxious you'll be unable to process thoughts properly which affects ALL your decisions, from making coffee in the morning to DRIVING your car to fulfilling your employment. Also, highly endorse taking the 0.5 mg before bed. Wake refreshed by the benefit of uninterrupted sleep. Thirdly, I read from someone up above my post, and I've experienced this awful phenomenon too, so => DON'T share what prescriptions you take with anyone that is not a health professional. You'll leave yourself open to criticism that is detrimental to you by non-doctors ! Xanax is an important, very helpful, prescription. I'm sorry that some have the "addiction gene" (my terminology, not official). They should definitely 'watch it' if they know themselves to have an addictive nature. I believe the 'script can still help them. Sometimes I go for a few days without needing it and notice no withdrawal. Prescribed patient of 30 years."

L1oness (taken for 10 years or more) May 18, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam): "I was first very fearful of taking any kind of medication. However, I eventually gave in & I am very happy I did. Xanax is a very effective drug. However, you must be careful because this medication is a benzodiazepine & it can be super addicting. Therefore, I personally only take it when I absolutely need it, mostly to sleep. This medication relaxes me, which makes me happy & especially hungry. It really takes the anxiety right out of your stomach if that's where you hold it. I do notice since I've started on birth control it effects me differently, not bad just different."

sabxbro (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 30, 2019

"I have complex PTSD. I have been told by more than 3 doctors that Valium was made specifically for me. However, now doctors fear prescribing it so I’m being prescribed Xanax. It does stop panic, but I feel tamped down & am frustrated at everything. I won’t complain, because it’s better nothing and I’m calm, in a heavy way. It is unfortunate how a new doctor arbitrarily assigned to me just decides to put me back to square one & how she decides she wants to “try other things” on me, not understanding that I’ve BEEN down ALL those dead end roads and tried ALL those unfortunate “treatments “ & I know what works. So this Xanax will have to do, as that is what she has decided. Begrudgingly, at that. It works, but I feel tired & sad. And very frustrated."

OhSnap (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam): "I have been on Xanax 8mgs a day for about 12 years. This pill saved my life."

Lindsay (taken for 10 years or more) April 27, 2019

"After trying all the SSRI'S, SNRI'S, AND some benzos, finally I got Alprazolam which saved my life.. I have been taking 1mg daily since last year.. Best medicine & easy to get.."

Rick April 19, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam): "This medication did nothing for me and I don't know if that was a good thing (since I didn't have any problems getting off of it) or if it was a bad thing (since it didn't help my anxiety at all). I have yet to find another person to whom this didn't work either. Overall I don't think this is worth the risk and even if you do take it, it only helps for a short period of time. Xanax will make anxiety levels go down but then once the medication wears off, your anxiety will spike higher than before, and the cycle continues."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 18, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam): "I have been on xanax since I was 22. (I am 39 now) I take it probably once or twice a year (yes year!) At 22, I got diagnosed with anxiety disorder. I couldn't leave the house it was debilitating. I was put on Prozac and told to take Xanax as needed only. So I started on 0.5 when I really really needed it. In the beginning I will say I took one about every week. Then Prozac kicked in and I was fine. I still get those moments where I can feel the panic attack coming, so I will pop one and I'm good to go. One bottle of 30 pills could last me years! But because they expire after 2 years, the doctor sends me for a fresh bottle. If taken responsibly, this medication is great. No side effects for me and 0.5 mg is more than enough to take the edge off. I tried Valium and Ativan and it made me sick (nausea, vomiting, hallucinations) Xanax was the only one that was gentle for me. Keep in mind, everyone is different and will have different experiences."

Dana79 (taken for 10 years or more) April 15, 2019

Alprazolam Intensol (alprazolam): "I have been taking .25 generic Xanax for over 5 years mostly to help me fall asleep. Sometimes every night or every other night. This drug has saved my life because I was staying awake till 3 am every night for most of my adult life and it took a toll on my physical and mental health. Some times I can fall asleep without it and won’t take it in fear of becoming addicted. But when I can’t fall asleep it relaxes my mind enough to give me a good 6 hours of sleep. It saved my life because I nearly had a nervous breakdown from worrying about my family and the bad conditions in our country. Thanks to Xanax I am still here. Most of those who have issues are taking way to much too many times a day. Taking just .25 is all I need to sleep better. And if during the day I get really nervous I will take 2 pills and get so much relief. Don’t think I can function without it."

Teebill (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 10, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam): "Really helps instantly, just remember benzodiazipenes are very addictive. DO NOT USE ALCOHOL WHILE USING THIS!"

IncognitoOmen (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam): "I would rate this drug a 10/10 if it wasn't for the fast tolerance that you develop the more frequently you take it, and the very high risk of dependency, because it really works like magic and I felt no side effects. I tried my best to be careful while taking this, and although I definitely developed tolerance as I feel the lower dose (0.25 mg) does nothing for me, thankfully I didn't become dependent on it because I tried to minimize usage as much as possible. I would say Xanax can be like magic when you feel like you're going through debilitating anxiety and have frequent panic attacks, but it is a quick fix and should be used as a short-term treatment while finding a long-term treatment, because I can see how physical and psychological dependency can easily develop - if the issue isn't addressed and use is frequently continued. I'm currently taking an antidepressant which seriously made such a difference to my mental health, and now rarely need to take Xanax."

danaaq92 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2019

"I have been on alprazolam for years as a when required for panic attacks. It is a miracle and does not slow me down, make me sleepy or cause any other effects than the relief of anxiety, panic, catastrophic thoughts, freeze-or-flight reactions, and accompanying somatic symptoms. My psychiatrist prescribes 5 pills a month. I've never had to increase the dose/amount or felt any "craving" this drug in the 8 yrs I've taken it. I have briefly tried the newfangled expensive meds that don't even help anxiety (like antihistamines and antipsychotics--what are the pharma companies thinking?!) and can cause terrible side effects like EPS, RLS, akathisia and metabolic symptoms b/c I was sick of hearing the anti-benzo party line. I'm glad I chose to think for myself and that my doctor doesn't buy into scare tactics manufactured for reasons other than people's health."

AnxiousAutistic March 16, 2019

"Medication works great when used as directed. Developed crippling anxiety after a traumatic life experience and loss of a close family member. Xanax saved me, but I started to become dependent. So I came off it. It is easy to see how dangerous it is, even with responsible patients."

Mikey (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 27, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam): "Do not use these daily or you'll become addicted. They are great for the occasional anxiety as they work fast. But the half life is so very very short that you can easily start going into withdrawals after a few days. Be careful with this benzo!"

Pocariboy (taken for less than 1 month) February 5, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam): "Best medication for anxiety. Kills anxiety instantly and makes you feel good. It’s sedative but it’s worth it."

TJ (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 3, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam): "Jewels411. No, you're not crazy. I took Xanax 35 years. Yes it definitely helped. But warning, extremely addictive. It can ruin your life. I would recommend Valium. It will relieve your anxiety, yet doesn't have near the addictive traits. Good Luck."

KM (taken for 10 years or more) January 16, 2019

"Xanax has helped me through some tough situations with anxiety. I was originally prescribed as a child and it didn't really work for me at that time. I was having attacks in high schools. Fast forward to 30 years later and my anxiety really was getting worse. A psychiatrist prescribed me 0.50 mg (30 pills) about 3.5 years ago. After that initial prescription my medical doctor has prescribed it as needed over the last 3 years. I have 60 pills (.50 mg) and take as needed. They really work and I am NOT addicted to them. I think its important to understand that sometimes people need help and just having the pills is sometimes enough for me to relax."

Anxietymale (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 13, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam): "Hey there I'm new to taking xanax and to this site. I'm 31 years old got married in June to a man who doesn't believe in anxiety so it makes me feel worse. I have been so scared to take it due to the fact I have taken stuff as a teen that made me feel really out of it and depressed. I have been to every dr and emergency room late at night, sick to my stomach, my chest feeling heavy and my head heavy and fuzzy, can't focus, dizzy, hot, tingling feeling numbness my face, my lips, my arms and everyone says it's anxiety or a panic attack. I feel so alone in this and I'm scared that there is something really wrong with me and the dr's are just not finding it. I feel hopeless I hope the xanax will help do something. I can't function in society and I'm tired of faking that I'm ok when I'm dying inside does anyone else feel like this or am I just crazy."

Jewels411 January 13, 2019

"Without this medication I cannot sleep. My life and medical issues are very complex. I take 1 mg. a day. I've tried to titrate down to 0.5 mgs. but each time I find myself grinding my teeth, muscles tense and fixating on a barrage of problems. I have not had any side effects. It's my miracle pill that keeps me focused."

Grace (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 5, 2019