User Reviews for Alprazolam to treat Anxiety

Also known as: Niravam, Xanax, Xanax XR

Alprazolam Rating Summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 164 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Alprazolam

Xanax (alprazolam): "Do not use these daily or you'll become addicted. They are great for the occasional anxiety as they work fast. But the half life is so very very short that you can easily start going into withdrawals after a few days. Be careful with this benzo!"

Pocariboy (taken for less than 1 month) February 5, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam): "Best medication for anxiety. Kills anxiety instantly and makes you feel good. It’s sedative but it’s worth it."

TJ (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 3, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam): "Jewels411. No, you're not crazy. I took Xanax 35 years. Yes it definitely helped. But warning, extremely addictive. It can ruin your life. I would recommend Valium. It will relieve your anxiety, yet doesn't have near the addictive traits. Good Luck."

KM (taken for 10 years or more) January 16, 2019

"Xanax has helped me through some tough situations with anxiety. I was originally prescribed as a child and it didn't really work for me at that time. I was having attacks in high schools. Fast forward to 30 years later and my anxiety really was getting worse. A psychiatrist prescribed me 0.50 mg (30 pills) about 3.5 years ago. After that initial prescription my medical doctor has prescribed it as needed over the last 3 years. I have 60 pills (.50 mg) and take as needed. They really work and I am NOT addicted to them. I think its important to understand that sometimes people need help and just having the pills is sometimes enough for me to relax."

Anxietymale (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 13, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam): "Hey there I'm new to taking xanax and to this site. I'm 31 years old got married in June to a man who doesn't believe in anxiety so it makes me feel worse. I have been so scared to take it due to the fact I have taken stuff as a teen that made me feel really out of it and depressed. I have been to every dr and emergency room late at night, sick to my stomach, my chest feeling heavy and my head heavy and fuzzy, can't focus, dizzy, hot, tingling feeling numbness my face, my lips, my arms and everyone says it's anxiety or a panic attack. I feel so alone in this and I'm scared that there is something really wrong with me and the dr's are just not finding it. I feel hopeless I hope the xanax will help do something. I can't function in society and I'm tired of faking that I'm ok when I'm dying inside does anyone else feel like this or am I just crazy."

Jewels411 January 13, 2019

"Without this medication I cannot sleep. My life and medical issues are very complex. I take 1 mg. a day. I've tried to titrate down to 0.5 mgs. but each time I find myself grinding my teeth, muscles tense and fixating on a barrage of problems. I have not had any side effects. It's my miracle pill that keeps me focused."

Grace (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 5, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam): "I've had severe anxiety all of my life manifesting in different forms. I take Pristiq which works well for my generalized anxiety. I have horrible situational anxiety that make me sweat feverishly and it's so embarrassing. Xanax is a miracle for this. If I have an event going on that I know is going to take my anxiety over the edge I can take Xanax and it makes me totally comfortable and not sweat uncontrollably like I'm in a sauna. I don't take everyday. 1mg maybe 4x a week if needed. Its a shame how people can abuse this drug ( I don't get how) and promote it in rap music which gives it a terrible reputation. This ruins it for people who need it."

June22 January 1, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam): "In my teens, I developed a fear of what I thought was nausea/vomiting. The feeling would overwhelm me to the point where my body shook sometimes. I was especially concerned this feeling would occur when I was somewhere I couldn’t escape/where people would see me. I didn’t eat much for two years. No one seemed to understand. Over time, the feeling seemed to subside, until it came back with vengeance at a job interview during college. My gyno was the first to prescribe me Xanax after I was diagnosed with pelvic muscle spasms. I didn’t take it until that feeling crept up on me one night. Xanax made it subside almost immediately. It was then I realized I had been suffering with anxiety/panic all this time. I now take Xanax on occasion when my panic comes back, but even just knowing what this feeling is now has helped so much. If you have a similar “feeling” of fear that makes you feel frozen/helpless, don’t suffer alone. There are ways to overcome it."

Dkvidn December 19, 2018

Xanax (alprazolam): "I was placed on 2 mg xanax 3 times daily in 2002 for anxiety panic disorder and my nightmare begun, sure this medication may seem to help you in the moment, but in reality it zaps your life away becoming so depended on it, all the warning signs about the wicked medication should alarm anyone, IT'S ALL true, after years of being co-depended on this medication, today I am free from it with little to NO help from doctors, if I could offer anyone help getting off I would, this medications effects of long term use out weights any benefits one may get from it. Trying to stop taking it is terrible, but with constant positive reinforcement it can be done, I did it, so can others."

Glad to be done (taken for 10 years or more) December 11, 2018

Xanax (alprazolam): "I have a crippling phobia of needles, as well as anxiety disorder. I’ve refused crucial medical treatment such as IVs and vaccines for deadly diseases, and it put my life at risk. So my doctor prescribed Xanax. At first dose (1mg) it didn’t make my mind any calmer, it just sedated my body so I couldn’t run away, but my mind was just as desperate and terrified as usual. My dose for such visits is now 3mg and I am doing so much better!!!! 3mg is not healthy for most, but since I have a severe case it is necessary. Granted, I need assistance walking during the time I’m on it, and it makes me ‘blackout’ (I don’t remember a thing from hours it’s in effect) but it’s worth it to be able to receive medical treatment. Please note that Xanax won’t make your phobias any less scary in the moment, but it will help you get you through life. All in all I think Xanax saved my life."

College student (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 27, 2018

Xanax (alprazolam): "Alprazolam is to me what glucose is to a diabetic. I’m an educated contributing member of society but am genuinely a disabled person without this drug. My anxiety without this drug is so extreme that I spend every waking moment trying to relieve a fear state, cannot experience peace of any kind, laugh, smile, or function in any state outside of terror. CBT, meditation, positive thinking, hot showers, faith, etc. just do not work for the level of anxiety I have. I have tried many other drugs and classes of drugs because I’m aware of what Xanax is, but this drug is the treatment for anxiety like mine. I would never abuse this drug, would never drink alcohol with it, and am highly aware of how it affects me. Xanax keeps me off disability and well, period."

Responsible male Xanax patient (taken for 10 years or more) November 26, 2018

Xanax (alprazolam): "I have been using this medication for over 30 years. I don't see how anyone can abuse this drug. It works wonders for me when I need it. Especially when I stress out. It will calm you down quick. I take .25 as needed. Usually 2x a month. Sometimes 3. At night or right after work."

Superman November 17, 2018

"I’ve been taking 2mg Alprazolam 2x a day for 7 years and it’s allowed me to get solid sleep. I started with a much lower dose, and the one thing I don’t like about them is that they are habit forming. I don’t wake up groggy, and when I have an anxiety/panic attack they literally work in about 45sec to 4min depending on your body. Everyone is different... but I highly recommended these for Anxiety, Panic disorders, Insomnia...etc"

Bells (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 13, 2018

Xanax (alprazolam): "I've taken .25mg Xanax for sleep for 29 years, with Wellbutrin and Trazodone for Major Depressive Disorder with Anxiety. Never increased the dose, never needed to. Now with the opioid crisis my doctor has refused to prescribe it any more. Never considered that I needed it. Afraid of the government, I guess."

snaarl October 27, 2018

Xanax (alprazolam): "Dealing with anxiety, panic disorder and now agoraphobia. Xanax helps my symptoms well. Manage, well that's the Catch-22. I was put on 1 mg 3x daily. I stopped for 9 mo. Started again recently but at much lower dose. I don't think I ever took 3 daily previously. I'm taking 1/2 or 0.5mg twice daily. But when needed I'll take a whole 1mg. Problem is I notice this med produces an "urgent" type of anxiety on it's own if I don't take it 3x daily. Makes it hard to manage. Before present doc, I had been told by 2 different doctors they'd give me antihistamines. For Panic, anxiety? Seriously offended. [Its like pain medication - the physician knows as soon as you ingest 1 pill : YOUR DEPENDENT. But they all blame the patient] Wish I could find Long Acting - slow release Xanax. Be wise, don't ever take more, ever ! Less is best if you can & your doctor agrees."

celavaba58 (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 22, 2018

"Alprazolam does help my anxiety better then other anxiety medication. It really helps me breath better , faster when panicked. The problem I have is the next day it leaves me irritable and sad. It feels like it is cancelling out my anti depressant when I take alprazolam."

irish2630 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 22, 2018

Xanax XR (alprazolam): "This is the only medication that has ever worked for my anxiety attacks, however it does build a dependency in the body but at this point it’s the only thing that continues to work."

Anthony (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 20, 2018

"Xanax works so much better for me than Klonopin which I am prescribed only 2mg per day after 15 years!!! I know I need an increase after all these years but no doctor will give me any more than that. I am SO fed up with doctors not prescribing the Meds that I need to function, I have GAD, a totally ruined spine with a failed microdiscectomy at L4-L5 which took out my S1 disc, leaving me almost completely crippled with extreme bilateral sciatica from my butt down both legs into both feet, ankles and toes (I also need bilateral knee replacements), I have over 16 herniated discs from my neck, thoracic and my lumbar spine is completely destroyed, causing me so much pain, which causes even more anxiety that are hitting all the nerves in my spine along with 4 spinal diseases and just turned 51. I can barely walk, stand, sit or drive more than 1/2 hour. The DEA has destroyed my life completely!!! "

Mskwik (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 19, 2018

Xanax (alprazolam): "I've been on this medication on and off for 30 years. Had terrible anxiety and agoraphobia. I take now 0.5mg up to twice a day. It helped in the beginning, but now, even while taking it, I'm having withdrawal symptoms. It's horrible. I can't go to work, I can't go to a store, I can't sleep. Please don't take this awful drug."

Mattie (taken for 10 years or more) October 17, 2018

Xanax (alprazolam): "From my experience with Xanax it ruins lives, period. Xanax was made for 14 day use for acute crisis but is grossly misprescribed. Xanax is more addictive than heroin and turns normal people into weird and angry shells of who they previously were. The drug causes the brain to stop producing chemicals it needs and the half life is so short that you go into withdrawal every time the drug “runs out” every 4 hours. You believes the feeling is “anxiety” and take another pill to treat it! However the feeling is just withdrawal. You will need more and more of the drug just to get the original effects and you will not really be aware of how you’re acting. The longer you take the drug the worse it gets- and eventually the doctor who got you hooked on it will stop prescribing it. A safe way to get off of Xanax is the Ashton method (Benzodiazepines How They Work & How to Withdraw)- switching slowly from Xanax to Valium. Valium like a longer acting form of Xanax which then is easier to cut down on. I urge you never to start the drug."

NoToX (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 9, 2018

Xanax (alprazolam): "Been on Xanax for almost 10 years. It has saved my life and I mean that. I couldn’t function from the severe anxiety that I would get everyday. I recently moved and my new psychiatrist won’t prescribe it to me. I am just thankful I still have 3 more scripts I can fill. He’s trying to get me off it by putting me on Buspar. What a mess this drug is. I can’t sleep and am nauseous all day long. Still take a low dose of my Xanax while on it but it scares me having to give up the only thing that has helped me over all theses years. People who abuse it have given it a horrible reputation and it’s not available for the responsible people that really need it."

BW (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 9, 2018

"I have taking this medication for almost three decades, suffering with severe anxiety and OCD on a daily basis which crippled my life, I was prescribed four capsules of 0.25mg Alprazolam to be taken daily and I began to see immense benefits immediately, also taking an SSRI called Anafranil. Some days I take less, some days I take more, and at times I don't take the medication whatsoever, I have not felt any withdrawal symptoms. I live an incredibly stressful life and this medication has allowed me to live an ordinary life, take care of family, become more social and undertake general daily tasks. I have also tried numerous other Anti-Anxiety medications such as Ativan and Valium however I always find myself returning to Alprazolam, found that it always works much much better."

Fatima (taken for 10 years or more) October 8, 2018

Xanax (alprazolam): "I don’t remember a time when I wasn’t severely depressed & anxious & without obsessive thoughts. I had severe emotional abuse/twisted mental abuse from my first memory at 3 until I was an adult. I’m 43. There are times I’ll go for days & not need Xanax or take it. But when the panicking & anxiety start I can take 5-6 mg (no, not .5 - actually 5) and finally function. I only use it as needed although I’ve been told I should take it daily. Drug seekers have hurt people like me SO bad. This is the only medication that works when I panic or feel anxiety to the point of wanting to die. I have & never will abuse it, but if I didn’t have it I would for sure be dead. I’ve NEVER had a withdrawal feeling or problem at all. But at that level of panic and obsession I am crippled. My daily meds (esp the anafranil) work very well now to prevent this , but when I get triggered, it’s a wrap. So there ARE some people who aren’t abusers, & who couldn’t function without it."

D October 5, 2018

Xanax (alprazolam): "This medication make me really happy with stress relief, anxiety relief and lot of energy, love it no side effects. First few days might cause drowsiness but then it goes away."

tayshalee October 2, 2018

Xanax (alprazolam): "I had severe postpartum anxiety to the point of no sleep for 3 months, which made me lose touch with all reality. I couldn’t take benzos as I was determined to breastfeed. Once I got through another bout of insomnia when I stopped breastfeeding I was suicidal from lack of sleep and panic/anxiety. I was put on xanax, .125 to .25 per day before bed. 4 years later I still have anxiety around sleep, so I take half the lowest dose 45 mins before bed. I struggle with sleep at times but I have not increased my dose over the 4 years and don’t freak out or withdraw if I miss a dose. My doctor hired a new nurse who seems bent on getting me off it, makes me plead my case to get refills. I don’t understand this thinking-a low dose of Xanax forever is better than a strung out suicidal insomniac. I have tried all SSRIs, hypnosis, counselling, meditation, CBTI for insomnia and hormone therapy. Nothing works as well as half a xanax 45 mins before bed. It’s just reality for me."

Q (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 2, 2018