User Reviews for Alosetron

Also known as: Lotronex

Alosetron has an average rating of 9.0 out of 10 from a total of 30 ratings on Drugs.com. 93% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 3% reported a negative experience.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Diarrhea  Off-label
9.3
Summary of Alosetron reviews 9.0 30 reviews

Reviews for Alosetron

Tara Leigh · February 18, 2016

Lotronex (alosetron) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I am 27 years old and have been suffering from IBS-D for years especially after I had my gallbladder removed 5 years ago. I had a colonoscopy/ endoscopy done and came back with normal results. My GI started me on chlordiazepoxide and that helped a little. Then he gave me xifaxan which made it even worse. He finally prescribed Lotronex and it was going to cost $700 for 30 days 1 mg 2x a day with the discount card. I asked to have it changed to 0.5 mg 1x a day to cut the cost. The pharm tech called the number on the back of the card and got a code to make it $5.00 for the generic!!!! I literally started crying. I have been on it for 8 days. I have a movement once a day compared to 8 times a day. ASK YOUR PHARMACY ABOUT THIS CODE!!!”

Library wench · Taken for 2 to 5 years · September 7, 2016

Lotronex (alosetron) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Over 10 years ago I took Lotronex for severe IBS with diarrhea. That condition had crippled me so that I could not leave the house without taking an antidiarrheal and a motion sickness medication. That was to just get out the door. I had to know the location of every restroom in every store, on every road. You get the picture. I had no social life because I didn't dare go anywhere with this condition. I had been reading about meds that might help with the IBS and had taken several at various times but they all made me sick. I did some research on Lotronex when it first came out and asked my PCP if he would prescribe it for me. The FIRST night I took it, 99% of my symptoms were gone. Within a week or two I finally felt normal and alive again”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more · October 22, 2015

Lotronex (alosetron) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Lotronex has given me my life back. Before I could not leave my house, missed significant amounts of work, did not want to eat (lost a lot of weight), and became depressed. I took Imodium like it was candy. With my Dr. we tried many different medications and changes in diet, but nothing worked. Lotronex was the last option and it was the best decision I could have made. The benefits by far outweigh the risks of taking the medication. I have been taking it for years now and they just released a generic brand. It has worked so well for me that I could not be happier to be able to have my life back.”

jrtainny · January 23, 2012

Lotronex (alosetron) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have been taking Lotronex for almost 11 years (both before it was taken off the market and after it returned). Lotronex changed my life in that I became able to function as a "normal person." I can work, go out socially and eat most things without fear of sudden and embarrassing diarrhea. The pains and urgency are things of the past, unless I run out of Lotronex. Lotronex has been a God send for me.”

Murphy · Taken for 10 years or more · April 27, 2021

Lotronex (alosetron) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “This product is amazing! I have been taking it for many years now and l am 72. I take the 1 mg. twice a day and it has changed my life. I was diagnosed with IBS-D. I was afraid to leave my house, go to work, get away from the bathroom. My situation was quite severe and this has at least given me hope.”

JC24858611 · August 19, 2015

Lotronex (alosetron) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I suffered terribly for years with ibs d. I had years of testing with no answers. After doing my own research, I found lotronex, then a doctor who prescribed it. I cannot function without it. My doctors call it, the most underprescribed drug in the world. I agree. Please, erase the fear and try thus drug. Your life is waiting.”

christine1985 · December 17, 2014

Lotronex (alosetron) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I've been on this pill for over a decade (currently 29) and I am totally irritable bowel syndrome symptom free on this. I suffer from D-IBS and was told I'm in the top 5% of the worst. Before the pill I could barely function, lots of mucus. On the medicine I've achieved 2 degrees and a career as a teacher. It's literally a miracle pill for me. My biggest fear now is having to go off it when I get pregnant.”

Happy As A Clam! · October 24, 2011

Lotronex (alosetron) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “So far on Day 4 of Lotronex. This is so far THE ANSWER... I have had no urges to go the bathroom with intense diarrhea in 4 days. I have had irritable bowel syndrome for about 20 plus years (I'm 38). So far this is a MIRACLE. And I am only taking the 0.5 once a day! I have not had 4 days like this in literally years. And it's not placebo because I'm very self aware (I'm a psychologist). I hope this works for all of you as it is for me. I am hopeful after being near suicidal! Also, my doctor has also just started me on desipramine, an antidepressant that also is supposed to help irritable bowel syndrome and it is working too. I'm SO HAPPY! Rule out all other conditions and then get on this PRONTO!”

joeldk · December 5, 2011

Lotronex (alosetron) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have been taking Lotronex for nearly 10 years (before and after it was pulled from the market). I'm male in my early 50s and have had irritable bowel syndrome since early childhood. Lotronex has been remarkably effective at controlling diarrhea and reasonably effective at moderating pain and intestinal cramps (though I still take dicyclomine) to help with that. I was taking 2mg Lotronex a day with virtually no side effects. Occasional constipation but stopping the medicines for a day would fix that problem. I recently cut back to 1/2 mg a day because my new insurance will not pay for it because I'm not female (maybe I should have a sex change operation). If you suffer from IBS-D and have not considered Lotronex you should definitely talk to your doctor about it.”

monkeypop · Taken for 1 to 6 months · March 29, 2014

Lotronex (alosetron) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “This medication is a God send. My irritable bowel syndrome had gotten so bad that anything but water would trigger an attack. I couldn't go to school or karate, it was stressful thinking about leaving the house. With Lotronex I can now do all things I couldn't. I don't have to worry about where the closest bathroom is, I can enjoy myself. I am so glad my insurance authorized this medication.”

IBSforever · June 30, 2016

Lotronex (alosetron) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Lotronex was the answer to helping my IBS and making it possible to have a life out of the bathroom! I do not understand why companies make a drug and then make it so expensive that very few can purchase it.”

Anonymous · July 6, 2011

Lotronex (alosetron) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have been on Lotronex for seven years. My quality of life has dramatically changed. I can eat most of the time and not run to the bathroom. Without it I can't even get out of the house when I have to eat. Thanks to the maker of Lotronex.”

ZuzuT · January 1, 2018

Lotronex (alosetron) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I felt compelled to review this drug as it was responsible for changing my life! I couldn't go anywhere, including getting to work every morning, without stopping for a bathroom and being utterly rung out by chronic IBS-D. I started this drug years ago and while I am not completely free of episodes, it has made my life normal again! I would say I am 95% in good digestive health. I tried many other drugs and also had my gall bladder removed 'in search of' the issue. This drug really works/helped me. ”

ChuckO123456789 · August 31, 2012

Lotronex (alosetron) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Have severe D-IBS since childhood, have never been able to keep job or even get through school. Lotronex was my miracle when I had access to it for a year and a half. It was the best year and a half of my life! I felt like a normal person, living a normal life for a change. Medicare changed the plans and I've not been able to get it covered since. I'll always have hope though!”

stewie1 · March 31, 2010

Lotronex (alosetron) for Diarrhea: “This medicine is a lifesaver. It enables me to travel. It lets me do just about anything. I had a cholecystectomy 5 years ago and still suffer from chronic diarrhea. I was taking cholestyramine before this. The cholestyramine worked, but it is very difficult to take especially when traveling. You have to time your other medicines and be able to mix it in a drink. With Lotronex I just take one pill and I'm good for the day. I still have to take Lomotil several times a day, but you don't want to overdose on the Lotronex due to ischemic colitis. This medicine is expensive but definitely worth it!”

Zzz · Taken for 1 to 2 years · February 26, 2020

Lotronex (alosetron) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “This medicine is excellent for my IBS. Can cause constipation and hard stools. My monthly copay is $320.00, which is unmanageable. In the donut hole, it drops as low as $14.00. I think drug companies are criminals.”

Anonymous · February 21, 2010

Lotronex (alosetron) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have been taking Lotronex for almost 3 years. It has done wonders for controlling my IBS. I feel like a new person! I no longer have severe cramping and can actually leave the house in the morning to get to work on time. Lotronex, eating the right foods, and taking fiber has really made a tremendous difference. Some days, I can even take a half pill and still get the same results.”

102938 · December 29, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I was waiting until I had been on this for a few months to leave a review. This drug has been great (so far so good don't want to jinx myself). It does take some time to get used to and find the correct dose. Don't give up. I took a small dose at first then worried I was getting C and stopped then started then felt like I needed more...but after a few months my schedule seems to be a half of a .05 mg tablet every other day. I also go to the bathroom every third day. I was never a once a day person so every third is ok. I do keep a calendar and write down my dose taken and when I have a BM so I'm not getting C or I'd skip a days pill. Drink plenty of water, watch that you still aren't eating a high fat greasy diet all the time. Try it!”

Annapia · October 3, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have taken Alosetron for 6 months for IBS, was working ok depending on food, etc. Yesterday I was in the restroom many times with bad constipation, after which I had severe diarrhea...I don’t understand how I can work like this...I am taking .5 twice/day”

Stephen Cooley · Taken for less than 1 month · August 23, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I can not get insurance or use the discount cards because I am a male. My doctors said that they now are seeing great results on men with IBS. If anyone knows anything that will allow me to reduce the cost from $1200 a month please let me know I would love to try this drug to help with IBS...any information would be appreciated. Its crazy that I can not even use the coupons at GoodRX due to the fact that I am a male”

Babs · Taken for 5 to 10 years · March 3, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I was on this years ago and it worked. I felt like my condition was getting better. Now I need it again but is would cost me $1,500 a month for the prescription. Why did it get so expensive. I am not living in poverty but I cannot afford that.”

Honey · Taken for 1 to 2 years · April 29, 2018

For Diarrhea: “I have had to adjust the amount recently. The BIGGEST problem is the large price if you are on Medicare. I am in the donut hole and it is costing me over $1200. A month for 60. I am going broke trying to afford to be " normal". The discount cards don't work if you are on Medicare. That needs to be changed!”

rnlgh · Taken for 1 to 6 months · July 30, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “The only issue I have with the medication is that now I have a hard time going to the bathroom. Not really constipation, but difficulty having bowel movements. But on the other hand...... I now don't have severe abdominal pain and running to the BR 6 and 7 times in a day, nausea, and not being able to leave my home on bad days. The trade off is worth it.”

misslottie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · December 21, 2021

For Diarrhea: “I had nonstop diarrhea for almost 18 months for no apparent reason. I went to ER and got admitted several times to hospital and they did scope said I do not have UC and said I have IBS and go home and deal with it. I had to go to toilet 15-20 times every day. I had D whether I ate or did not eat. I am elderly and needed hip and knees replaced and I could not even leave home to go to doc to see about these things. I was weak. I had tried all OTC stuff and Lomotil and none of it worked. Then I searched on Google and there I saw it. I call gastro ask can he give it. He says it causes constipation and some have died blah blah blah. I suffer with severe C all my life from diet then later in life due to opioid pain meds so no prob. It cost me 95 for .05 mg 2x a day. I took a few doses and the D slowed and stopped. A miracle. It does cause C so I only take a few pills a week now. It took time to get the dose right for me. It stop diarrhea but does cause constipation .Its a thin line. I also take senna and softener with it.”

takpjr24 · February 27, 2008

Lotronex (alosetron) for Diarrhea: “lOVE IT- IT REALLY HAS CHANGED MY LIFE.”