User Reviews for Humira

Learn more about Humira.

Humira Rating Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 80 medications used in the treatment of Ankylosing Spondylitis.

Reviews for Humira to treat Ankylosing Spondylitis

"Severe back pain while sleeping started over a year ago... Assumed it was work related, so I started looking for a new job. Then the foot/ankle pain and joint swelling came. I was in terrible pain and could barely walk around at my new job. Finally after seeing seeing my pcp multiple times, I went to ortho. She referred my to a rheumatologist. I thought I was a healthy 30+ year old, but after 6 months of blood tests, X-Ray's mri's and multiple follow ups... I now have the official diagnosis. I noticed an immediate difference as soon as I took Humira. I have had 3 doses And symptoms are gone... Although my feet get sore just as I'm due for the next treatment. I'm worried about the long term side effects, but for now just happy without pain."

RN with ankylosing spondylitis (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 22, 2016

"They told me not to expect any results for at least 3 months. 36 hours after my first injection, I felt great. My worst symptoms had gone away, and the remaining symptoms are slowly going away."

Bill_Tr May 5, 2016

"I am 32, and as a child I was incredibly active. Around the age of 20 I started showing signs of AS, and was constantly in and out of the Drs, begging to be looked at- they shrugged me off as making it up, fibromyalgia, endometriosis, diabetes- it wasn't until at 25 I was completely incapable of turning my head & had trouble walking that someone took me serious. A specialist discovered I had AS. I only started Humira in Dec of 2015, a 40mg dose every 14 days. The morning after I woke up and just lay there in shock- I hadn't felt like this since I was just a kid. I sat up in bed and just sobbed. I am so thankful for Humira every single day. I walk everywhere, I can skip up the steps- my neck may be permanently frozen, but I am hopeful"

Oceanj (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2016

"Took the pen injection once every 2 weeks for 4 years. Went from 18 inches from the ground vertically bending over too touching my toes. From partial flex of my neck to full flex. Still have common arthritis problem such as inflamed vertebra and joints. Humria cleared my psoriasis completely. Wonderful working medicine. I can now do many more physical things and a lot more flexable without pain or stiffness. But for warning, let the pen warm to room temperature to reduce bruising."

James Conner Smith December 17, 2015

"I am a 46 yr old male. Diagnosed 16 yrs ago with psoriatic arthritis and ulcerative colitis. Treated with meloxicam and sulfasalazine but I have been prescribed so many different NSAIDs over the years. Have had iritis, and small patches of psoriasis on knees. Recently, disease has progressed to AS. Pain in hips, lower back and neck was terrible. Months of pain. My RA Dr suggested Humira. I researched and initially was nervous of side effects but honestly, the pain was so bad I needed to try something. I took my first injection two days ago and already my pain is nearly gone. What a difference in such a short time. No side effects yet but I am staying positive."

Andyzx (taken for less than 1 month) December 16, 2015

"Prior to taking Humira, I competed in marathons, triathlons and an Ironman. Additionally, I was a swimming coach. All of a sudden, I could not walk. I spent days in the hospital with no answer. After one back surgery, and a second one being planned, my rheumatologist prescribed Humira after testing positive for Ankylosing Spondylitis. Within two months, I had no more back spasms, I could sneeze with out a spasm, I could stand long enough to wash dishes. I began walking normal again. It was a long two years of pain and suffering. Now taking Humira, I have my life back. I feel great! Do know, it does 'turn off' your immune system. I found, taking a probiotic with immune support (and lots of hand washing!) it was not a problem."

BMR4 November 13, 2015

"After 36 years of pain, stiffness and inability to exercise comfortably, I was put on Humira injections.This was because the long term use of Diclofenic high dosage caused problems with my liver. I have had a year on Humira and felt so much better, the pain and stiffness were significantly reduced. I came off Humira for six months due to health problems (which were not connected to Humira), After 3-4 months of not taking it, all symptoms returned with a vegenance. The worse being inbetween the ribs and lungs. I am now starting back on it, so hopefully will feel well again soon. I am worried however about long term effects."

plodicus (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 16, 2015

"Made me feel terrible, didn't relieve pain and was given to me even though my family has a history of lymphoma despite my warning the doctor of this. Beware this treatment for AS, gives you worse health problems than the pain it treats."

aeon (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2015

"I was recently diagnosed with AS at 35, after developing severe iritis in both eyes following my hysterectomy. My inflammation was so severe, my eyes swelled shut! After rounds of testing, everything came back normal. Then my severe lower back pain, and everything that comes with AS came on fast and I got iritis back in one eye!! I could not walk, bend or sleep without crying and kept gaining weight! Finally they tested me for the gene, it came back positive. After seeing a specialist this past April, I began a variety of testing and was officially diagnosed! I started humira in May and wow, I sometimes forget I have the disease!! I lost 12 lbs in the first 2 weeks and now, not much pain. I am very thankful for this treatment and coverage!"

Ange C (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2015

"My back and hip pain started back in 2001. I seen soo many doctors for it and was told I was too fat so I dropped 100lbs and the pain got worse. Then I was told I was pill seeking. Told that doctor if a fricken Midol took away the pain I would take that! Finally after 10 years of pain my gastroenterologist tested me for AS and it came back positive. I was diagnosed with Colitis back in 96 so I'm not sure why they didn't put two and two together and as a result since I went untreated for a decade my spine and hips are really messed up. I was on Enbrel which was amazing. Just switched to humira. Praying it kicks in soon!!! Tired of the pain!!!"

CLE2004 (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2015

"I was diagnosed with Ankylosing spondilitis 8 months ago at the age of 49 although I had back pain and sacroiliac joint pain for many years which seemed to be getting worse and worse. I started getting inflammation in my eyes about 10 years ago. (uveitis) On my orthamogist's advice, I saw a reumatologist and even though white lines appeared on my SI joints on MRI scans she was unhelpful. I got worse and kept self medicating. After more bouts of uveitis I went to see the reumatologist again who tested me for the HLA gene. When it came back negative, she dismissed me again until 3 years later I could no longer walk even though I had been swimming and doing Pilates. Humira has given me my life back after 4 months. My mobility is back."

Leyla Murad May 6, 2015

"I'm not one for hyperbole but genuinely think its a miracle. I've just had a proper good sneeze. Full inhalation, full 'James Brown' "Owwww!" At the end. First time in over a year not been halted mid-sneeze by the pain of the inhalation or having had to control the sneeze to a mild 'heeewwwwww-Ouch' Sounds ridiculous to those who've never felt that way, but in addition to the normal yada-yada-yada of being able to stand up and walk etc a proper sneeze or laugh or cough is priceless."

JC.99 March 31, 2015

"I am a 43 year old male. I have been struggling with hip and lower back pain for about 5 years now. Been on NSAIDS for inflammation and pain. Don't really remember what a full night of rest feels like. To be honest I was scared to take Humira until I done my own research. On 2-11-2015 I had my first shot of Humira. I'm thinking this sucker is going to really hurt. Took me about 5 minutes to get my nerve up. Oh well I pushed the button and the rest is history. OMG!!!!!!!!! Why did I wait so long. To me the shot doesn't hurt but it does sting just a little. 2 days after the shot. No pain in hips and sleeping all night. I still have some tightness in my lower back when I wake up. So far its a miracle."

The Air Man (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2015

"I was offered Humira by a specialist in rheumatoid arthritis. I was iffy about taking this treatment, I have several discs that are damaged from 15 years of being a Union Flooring Installer, and I was seeking a more permanent solution for the pain, little did I know what kind of ride I was in for. The RA Dr. was very eager to put me on Humira, after seeing him just twice. After injected, I experienced a wide array of side effects; flu like pain in lower back (never goes away) caused my C2 pain medicine to have 0 affect (240mg Oxycontin), my entire body felt blotted, my taste-buds were messed up, I was not aware of my surroundings at times, insomnia, stomach aches, and gas! Feeling cold often."

AMD is GARBAGE (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2015

"I get Humira from the VA and have been on it for a couple of years. I only inject about once a month even though I am suppose to use it once every two weeks. It works well, but I am concerned about side effects. I got Shingles once after taking the shot. I am assuming because it lowers my immune system. However, it is worth the risk overall and significantly has reduce my pain and pretty much stopped the progression. I also take Piroxicam daily."

LadduNick January 31, 2015

"Great medicine and Abvee/Abbott has great customer service, PAP and sharps Biohazard disposal programs. 50 year old male, diagnosed at 13, Tall 6.3 (6.2 in the morning). Humira has worked for me for many years. However my body became tolerant as my disease progressed my Doc changed it to 1x/10 days but this medicine is less flexible as it relates to dosage as opposed to Remicade. [The only downside to this, thus less then 10.] After trying all of the various biologics for Ankylosing Spondylitis (Remicade, Enbrel, and Humira) in my decades long journey with AS. I have found, it's back to Remicade again because of dosage flexibility."

timcaldwell1 (taken for 10 years or more) December 19, 2014

"This is a fantastic medicine. I'm 31 years old and have struggled with back pain since being about 25. Being very tall (6'4) many of the issues were put down to my tallness. When the back pain started affecting my breathing I knew something more that being tall was a play. After a number of differing referrals, I was finally passed to a Rheumatology specialist who spotted my symptoms very quickly and suggested my treatment. It took over a month to get the test results and approvals but when I started treatment the results were within a week for me. Now I have next to no pain and I have no real symptoms. The injections are uncomfortable but for 10 seconds of pain for 2 weeks of being able to move and breathe without being in pain is worth it."

Velta12 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2014

"I see some comments about painful injections, I had that too but I wasn't letting the medication warm up after taking it out of the refrigerator, if it warms up it's no problem. I've been on this about 4 months and I'm feeling better every week. It's awesome."

dagmastr12 June 30, 2014

"Humira is a miracle. Prior to being on Humira I had tried two previous solutions NSAIDs and a non-starch diet with lots of exercise. NSAIDs had absolutely no effect. The non-starch diet with some exercise did help bring the pain to what I would call manageable but flares would still happen and with them would come several day cycle of poor sleep, less exercise, and so on. My rheumatologist explained that some new research suggest Humira may actually help to stop the progression of the disease so I gave it a shot (pun, hah!). It took about 3 weeks to start kicking in and by week 5 my symptoms were totally gone. No back pain. No shoulder pain. No waking up in the middle of the night."

Sledge2k (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2014

"I am 19 years old and was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS) when I was 17. I was prescribed Humira very quickly because my AS caused severe back, hip and ankle pain and have been taking it for over a year now. So far, the medicine has worked very well and I feel no pain whatsoever. The medicine does make me feel tired, but this is a genuine side effect."

jakeepton January 10, 2014

"I'm a 43 yr female and have had Ankylosing Spondylitis since 15 yrs old. Started Humira a year ago and only lasted 6 months taking it as it made me sick, feverish, weak, sweating and confusion and generally feeling unwell but my pain was significantly reduced and had fatigue. Had to stop taking it, couldn't stand feeling sick."

Trace16 November 27, 2013

"Has worked wonders for my pain but the injection hurts so bad. Its pain keeps making me jerk and of course I had to mess up my last injection. "

DDFut November 22, 2013

"I have lived with Ankylosing Spondylitis since I was 14 (49 now). Did okay with NSAIDS until about 10 years ago when it began to really get bad. Started Humira 2 years ago. It took about 4 months to really help my back. Unfortunately lately it seems to be losing it's effectiveness. Hopefully this is just a blip in treatment."

cdris7319 September 15, 2013

"I am 38. After my total hip replacement, Doc. found sacroiliac joint swollen. I couldn't bend and had a lot of pain. Been in Humira for 2 1/2 years now. If you numb your site with ice before using your Humira pen. 1/2 hour before, is less painful. "

Mariale1992 September 11, 2013

"Before I was taking Pyrilin 6Kmg/day and Feldine 20mg and I had constant pain, some days were better than others but I always had something. Since being on Humira I am running again, I ran 8 miles the other day in a bit over an hour and I felt great after, tired but no joint pain, the next day I felt great as well, I have lost 6 pounds and I am active again. I have not been sick yet, but this is a worry still. I wish I had this 10 years ago!"

ZZ Top August 20, 2013