User Reviews for Humira

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Humira.

Humira Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 84 medications used in the treatment of Ankylosing Spondylitis.

Reviews for Humira to treat Ankylosing Spondylitis

"Scared to take would rather live in pain then take a chance of getting cancer or dying for an infection caused by a cut or scratch"

Mike26711 (taken for less than 1 month) November 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Began Humira with high hopes 3 months ago after stopping sulfasalazine. After 1st injection, it took only 5 days and got symptoms of flu. Flu developed into chronic sinutitis and come-go laryngitis. Next episode was super high blood pressure and frequent urination 24/7. Third one was more serious, white blood cell count began to rise. This is not normal (may lead to blood cancers or lymphomas) and Humira was stopped. Be careful, you are not going to die with AS, but serious side effect like cancer is a true alarm that drug might not be suitable for everyone."

Nikamatsu (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Dear all, I am a 26 year old Dutch man who has been living with AS since 18, but got diagnosed just 4 years ago at 22. Because Humira is so expensive they made me use NSAID's like diclofenac and naproxen for two years. Before I used humira I dropped out of college, couldn't do any sports and was bed ridden most of the day. If I would for instance do the dishes, I would be broken for the rest of the day. A little over two years ago they started me on Humira and it has completely changed my life. I was very wary of the medicine because it involves shooting yourself up and I was hesitant as I had just taken these heavy painkillers which did not benefit me at all. I couldn't walk and now I play football three times a week and am back to work/uni"

papi050 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have just been diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis in November 2016 at the age of 20 years old. I've begun the humira injection 40 milligrams April 2017 and still currently using. Just the last couple of weeks my pain has dramatically gotten worse I'm a lot more pain in my hips and legs and in my back, I've also just been diagnosed with bursitis in both my shoulders. Out-of-the-blue pain in my hips my knees my legs back, I've spoken to my GP and all I can do is wait until October to see my rheumatologist as he doesn't want to change my medications. With the Hamira I still felt the same but only my pain cramps has stopped, pain is still their too."

JJJ018 September 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Helped a bit but not even close to being worth it considering the very dangerous possible side effects which may include death. Much better alternatives are now available without the high risk."

hhw (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"36 year old female, diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis at 34. Started Humira every 14 days in February 2016. Noticed a huge difference the morning after taking it. I got my life back! It started to last fewer and fewer days so added Methotrexate in April 2016 and it helped stretch out the time it helped back to 2 weeks again. Had major side effects from the Methotrexate so went off of it in March 2017. The Humira started to decrease again in the time it would last. Took it by itself until April 2017 when I got sick with Bronchopneumonia. Stopped it until the infection was gone and when I went back on 6 weeks later, it wouldn't help anymore. I am now switching to Simponi."

RUnruh (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had severe insomnia that is very possibly related to Humira."

Owee July 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm a 53 year old male, have had Ankylosing Spondylitits since I was a teenager, undiagnosed until a bout of Uveitis (inflammation in my eye) in 2010, the blood tests revealed I was HLA B27. From there my illness steadily progressed until hospitalisation in 2016, by the end of 2016 I was having more frequent episodes of uveitis followed by debilitation reactive arthritis that left me unable to move. The last episode in Feb 2017 saw me hospitalised again, due to the pain of my ribs expanding when trying to breath. I received my first Humira injection pen injection the day after being hospitalised in Feb...... It's a miracle. Within 24 hours I was feeling better than I had felt in 8 years. Humira has given me a second chance."

bez March 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My reaction to Humira seems to be unusual. Within 2 hours of each injection I would sleep so soundly I was not wakened even by drilling in the next room. I generally wanted to do nothing but sleep for about 36 hours after each injection and overall I was unnaturally sleepy while on the medication. For the first 2 days after each injection I experienced burning joints and a flu-like feeling with more prominent pain in my lower back. The only positive symptom was experiencing less nausea than I did prior to treatment. It was a relief to stop and "wake up"."

Creaky Cailleach (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 24, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My first injection was friday. By sunday morning i felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulders. I felt no pain. NONE! As someone that is on their feet for 12 hours a day, i cant believe i can come home and play with my daughter again without wincing in pain and struggling to function after 7pm. This is a miracle. The price of this drug is frustrating and i hope that may change over time, but if that is the price to pay to feel well, ill deal with it. I hope this was informative."

Rob3291 September 19, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Severe back pain while sleeping started over a year ago... Assumed it was work related, so I started looking for a new job. Then the foot/ankle pain and joint swelling came. I was in terrible pain and could barely walk around at my new job. Finally after seeing seeing my pcp multiple times, I went to ortho. She referred my to a rheumatologist. I thought I was a healthy 30+ year old, but after 6 months of blood tests, X-Ray's mri's and multiple follow ups... I now have the official diagnosis. I noticed an immediate difference as soon as I took Humira. I have had 3 doses And symptoms are gone... Although my feet get sore just as I'm due for the next treatment. I'm worried about the long term side effects, but for now just happy without pain."

RN with ankylosing spondylitis (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 22, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"They told me not to expect any results for at least 3 months. 36 hours after my first injection, I felt great. My worst symptoms had gone away, and the remaining symptoms are slowly going away."

Bill_Tr May 5, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 32, and as a child I was incredibly active. Around the age of 20 I started showing signs of AS, and was constantly in and out of the Drs, begging to be looked at- they shrugged me off as making it up, fibromyalgia, endometriosis, diabetes- it wasn't until at 25 I was completely incapable of turning my head & had trouble walking that someone took me serious. A specialist discovered I had AS. I only started Humira in Dec of 2015, a 40mg dose every 14 days. The morning after I woke up and just lay there in shock- I hadn't felt like this since I was just a kid. I sat up in bed and just sobbed. I am so thankful for Humira every single day. I walk everywhere, I can skip up the steps- my neck may be permanently frozen, but I am hopeful"

Oceanj (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took the pen injection once every 2 weeks for 4 years. Went from 18 inches from the ground vertically bending over too touching my toes. From partial flex of my neck to full flex. Still have common arthritis problem such as inflamed vertebra and joints. Humria cleared my psoriasis completely. Wonderful working medicine. I can now do many more physical things and a lot more flexable without pain or stiffness. But for warning, let the pen warm to room temperature to reduce bruising."

James Conner Smith December 17, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a 46 yr old male. Diagnosed 16 yrs ago with psoriatic arthritis and ulcerative colitis. Treated with meloxicam and sulfasalazine but I have been prescribed so many different NSAIDs over the years. Have had iritis, and small patches of psoriasis on knees. Recently, disease has progressed to AS. Pain in hips, lower back and neck was terrible. Months of pain. My RA Dr suggested Humira. I researched and initially was nervous of side effects but honestly, the pain was so bad I needed to try something. I took my first injection two days ago and already my pain is nearly gone. What a difference in such a short time. No side effects yet but I am staying positive."

Andyzx (taken for less than 1 month) December 16, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Prior to taking Humira, I competed in marathons, triathlons and an Ironman. Additionally, I was a swimming coach. All of a sudden, I could not walk. I spent days in the hospital with no answer. After one back surgery, and a second one being planned, my rheumatologist prescribed Humira after testing positive for Ankylosing Spondylitis. Within two months, I had no more back spasms, I could sneeze with out a spasm, I could stand long enough to wash dishes. I began walking normal again. It was a long two years of pain and suffering. Now taking Humira, I have my life back. I feel great! Do know, it does 'turn off' your immune system. I found, taking a probiotic with immune support (and lots of hand washing!) it was not a problem."

BMR4 November 13, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After 36 years of pain, stiffness and inability to exercise comfortably, I was put on Humira injections.This was because the long term use of Diclofenic high dosage caused problems with my liver. I have had a year on Humira and felt so much better, the pain and stiffness were significantly reduced. I came off Humira for six months due to health problems (which were not connected to Humira), After 3-4 months of not taking it, all symptoms returned with a vegenance. The worse being inbetween the ribs and lungs. I am now starting back on it, so hopefully will feel well again soon. I am worried however about long term effects."

plodicus (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 16, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Made me feel terrible, didn't relieve pain and was given to me even though my family has a history of lymphoma despite my warning the doctor of this. Beware this treatment for AS, gives you worse health problems than the pain it treats."

aeon (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was recently diagnosed with AS at 35, after developing severe iritis in both eyes following my hysterectomy. My inflammation was so severe, my eyes swelled shut! After rounds of testing, everything came back normal. Then my severe lower back pain, and everything that comes with AS came on fast and I got iritis back in one eye!! I could not walk, bend or sleep without crying and kept gaining weight! Finally they tested me for the gene, it came back positive. After seeing a specialist this past April, I began a variety of testing and was officially diagnosed! I started humira in May and wow, I sometimes forget I have the disease!! I lost 12 lbs in the first 2 weeks and now, not much pain. I am very thankful for this treatment and coverage!"

Ange C (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My back and hip pain started back in 2001. I seen soo many doctors for it and was told I was too fat so I dropped 100lbs and the pain got worse. Then I was told I was pill seeking. Told that doctor if a fricken Midol took away the pain I would take that! Finally after 10 years of pain my gastroenterologist tested me for AS and it came back positive. I was diagnosed with Colitis back in 96 so I'm not sure why they didn't put two and two together and as a result since I went untreated for a decade my spine and hips are really messed up. I was on Enbrel which was amazing. Just switched to humira. Praying it kicks in soon!!! Tired of the pain!!!"

CLE2004 (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with Ankylosing spondilitis 8 months ago at the age of 49 although I had back pain and sacroiliac joint pain for many years which seemed to be getting worse and worse. I started getting inflammation in my eyes about 10 years ago. (uveitis) On my orthamogist's advice, I saw a reumatologist and even though white lines appeared on my SI joints on MRI scans she was unhelpful. I got worse and kept self medicating. After more bouts of uveitis I went to see the reumatologist again who tested me for the HLA gene. When it came back negative, she dismissed me again until 3 years later I could no longer walk even though I had been swimming and doing Pilates. Humira has given me my life back after 4 months. My mobility is back."

Leyla Murad May 6, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm not one for hyperbole but genuinely think its a miracle. I've just had a proper good sneeze. Full inhalation, full 'James Brown' "Owwww!" At the end. First time in over a year not been halted mid-sneeze by the pain of the inhalation or having had to control the sneeze to a mild 'heeewwwwww-Ouch' Sounds ridiculous to those who've never felt that way, but in addition to the normal yada-yada-yada of being able to stand up and walk etc a proper sneeze or laugh or cough is priceless."

JC.99 March 31, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a 43 year old male. I have been struggling with hip and lower back pain for about 5 years now. Been on NSAIDS for inflammation and pain. Don't really remember what a full night of rest feels like. To be honest I was scared to take Humira until I done my own research. On 2-11-2015 I had my first shot of Humira. I'm thinking this sucker is going to really hurt. Took me about 5 minutes to get my nerve up. Oh well I pushed the button and the rest is history. OMG!!!!!!!!! Why did I wait so long. To me the shot doesn't hurt but it does sting just a little. 2 days after the shot. No pain in hips and sleeping all night. I still have some tightness in my lower back when I wake up. So far its a miracle."

The Air Man (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was offered Humira by a specialist in rheumatoid arthritis. I was iffy about taking this treatment, I have several discs that are damaged from 15 years of being a Union Flooring Installer, and I was seeking a more permanent solution for the pain, little did I know what kind of ride I was in for. The RA Dr. was very eager to put me on Humira, after seeing him just twice. After injected, I experienced a wide array of side effects; flu like pain in lower back (never goes away) caused my C2 pain medicine to have 0 affect (240mg Oxycontin), my entire body felt blotted, my taste-buds were messed up, I was not aware of my surroundings at times, insomnia, stomach aches, and gas! Feeling cold often."

AMD is GARBAGE (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I get Humira from the VA and have been on it for a couple of years. I only inject about once a month even though I am suppose to use it once every two weeks. It works well, but I am concerned about side effects. I got Shingles once after taking the shot. I am assuming because it lowers my immune system. However, it is worth the risk overall and significantly has reduce my pain and pretty much stopped the progression. I also take Piroxicam daily."

LadduNick January 31, 2015