User Reviews for Adalimumab to treat Crohn's Disease, Maintenance

Also known as: Humira, Hulio, Abrilada, Hyrimoz, Amjevita, Cyltezo, Hadlima

Adalimumab has an average rating of 7.6 out of 10 from a total of 51 ratings for the treatment of Crohn's Disease, Maintenance. 73% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 16% reported a negative effect.

Adalimumab Rating Summary

7.6/10 average rating

Compare all 33 medications used in the treatment of Crohn's Disease, Maintenance.

Reviews for Adalimumab

Bjorn · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 19, 2020

Humira (adalimumab): “This stuff is straight up witchcraft, 6 months of awfulness and then this bad boy comes in to my life and I don't feel any pain the next day and now 6 months after the first dose I'm nearly normal.”

Bert January 18, 2020

Humira (adalimumab): “I was on imuran for 30 years and symptom free. Doctor switched me to this and have been ill since starting back and abdominal pain and headaches a lot of pressure to go on this makes me think doctors get compensated for prescribing”

Lu · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 18, 2019

Humira (adalimumab): “I’ve had Crohn’s disease for 3 years now and have been on Humira for 2 and a half years. I love this drug. I am currently 19 and it has let me go to college and live a regular life. The only problem I had with it was the stinging pain I felt when it was injected but they have recently changed that so now it’s painless.”

GAW February 3, 2014

Humira (adalimumab): “My husband has had a severe case of Chron's since he was 33. He was on and off of Remicade for 7 years. Last January we found out he built up antibodies to the Remicade and it was no longer working properly. Humira has been a God send for him. He loves that he decides when to give himself the shot and he only has side effects for 24 hours compared to 48 or 72 hours after an infusion of Remicade. He has been in remission for a year for the first time in years. We feel very blessed there is a new medicine helping patients with this very difficult disease. He also has learned to eliminate gluten and dairy. As his diet gets better he feels better.”

proten July 26, 2013

Humira (adalimumab): “Diagnosed with Crohn's 15 years ago. Medicine varied with poor results for 9 years. Over 60% of my colon is bad. Prescribed Humira 6 years ago. On Humira I have recovered and stayed in remission. I have had no negative side effects. I have been able to manage the shot every two weeks very well. (Previous medications, such as pentasa and prednisone, did cause significant and bad side effects along with no help for the crohn's symptoms.)”

doctorshaps · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 24, 2014

Humira (adalimumab): “Humira has really been a life saver. I wasn't sure if I was going to see another day in my life without pain and then I was introduced to Humira..it truly is a blessing, I don't have any side effects from the shot at all.”

Rena1118 February 25, 2008

Humira (adalimumab): “My name is Serena. I have had chron's disease for six years. I had surgery a year ago. I had a flare up a few weeks after surgery. My GI put me on humira and it has been a miracle drug for me! NO pain or flare ups. I get to lead a normal life :)”

Squelia · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 9, 2015

Humira (adalimumab): “As a new Crohn's patient I had read a lot of horror stories about this disease and the medications used to control it - myself, I went on Azathioprine first but it stopped working gradually. Humira has honestly been a God send so far, I have my life back and no symptoms 99% of the time, I'm so thankful! Only thing I'm worried about now is if it stops working, but nothing has happened yet and I am past the danger zone apparently.”

Stephanie125 March 6, 2011

Humira (adalimumab): “I have been taking Humira for 5 months after having had surgery for 3 fistulas. Humira has changed my life drastically. I am a senior in a high school and prior to humira I was constantly in pain and when i wasn't in pain I was worried about when i would be in pain and I had fistulas for 2 years without any surgeries. Since I have been taking Humira I almost forget i have any disease because I feel normal again. I can go out without worry and am pain free. I haven't gotten any fistulas since then either, I really can't say enough good things about Humira. Love it!!”

TNPMEDIC · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 22, 2016

Humira (adalimumab): “I have been a Crohn's sufferer since I was 18, I'm now 47. I have had two bowel resections, multiple blockages and bowel symptoms that left me house bound for days at a time. I have been on Prednisone so much that I have maxed out the lifetime exposure limit, have tried Methotrexate (nausea+++), Pentasa (no change) and Remicade (serum reaction). I have been on Humira now for over 8 years and aside from a few minor flare-ups, I have a life back. Bless all of the programs and benefit companies that have recognized that this medication has restored some people to being productive once again.”

Thank You Abbvie · Taken for less than 1 month November 1, 2014

Humira (adalimumab): “I had forgotten how it felt like to be normal and healthy. To have energy. I was experiencing this after three months on Humira only to be abruptly dropped from my insurance plan. So thankful for the Abbvie patient assistance plan which has now approved me for a full year! I am looking forward to getting better again in the months ahead. I was afraid I was going to lose my job because of the flares but now I am hopeful. Thanks”

Fionafire71 · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 12, 2013

Humira (adalimumab): “Humira gave me my life back. I was sicker than I had ever been and this is the first medicine that consistently made me feel better. I take it in conjunction with Pentasa which seems to be the magic formula for me. I don't like giving myself a shot but I am so grateful for how I feel. Diet is a big part too but this has been a miracle for me.”

Anonymous October 19, 2011

Humira (adalimumab): “This medicine has given me my life back. I was initially very afraid because of all the potential side effects and I tend to react severely to medicines. But my Crohn's Disease and rheumatoid arthritis progressed to the point where I couldn't function anymore. I started Humira in conjunction with Plaquenil and it has completely turned my life around. The pain and stiffness are gone, the fatigue is significantly reduced and I have lost weight and have the energy to exercise again. The injections are not pleasant, and the initial side effects of nausea and flu- like symptoms were pretty rough for the first couple of injections. I got worse after the first one, but I'm glad I stuck it out because I'm doing fantastic now.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 30, 2014

Humira (adalimumab): “I have had Crohn's disease for about a year and a half and Humira has been amazing. I felt relief within one month and was in remission within 9 months. Life is pain free..only side effect is yeast infections every week and feel like I have the flu the week right before due for shot. Shot is painful for 10 seconds, but it is worth it. Remicade is only other option, using it as last resort. Otherwise very satisfied.”

Riesy · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 8, 2013

Humira (adalimumab): “I've had Crohn's disease since 05' and I struggled through high school with flares, pain, and just off balanced white blood cell count. My doctor put me on Remicade when I was a junior. And a few days after I could barely walk, my legs were killing me, but to be it was worth it because I had somewhat of my life back. The summer I graduated we decided it would be easy to switch to Humira since I was going off to college. It's my senior year and this summer will be my fourth year on Humira and I'm actually just having my first flare since starting Humira. They say they don't work forever but I at least got 3 and a half years out of it. Plus Humira helped pay for the cost of the medication”

Breezy88 May 17, 2015

Humira (adalimumab): “I have had Chron's symptoms for about 10months. I was in severe pain with the constant inflammation. I was vomiting and the nausea was unbearable. I recently started humira. After one week of starting my injections, I immediately noticed that I had no more pain. I am able to eat without feeling awful afterwards. The only side effects I've experienced are headache and fatigue, but nothing too unmanageable.”

VimalRaiI · Taken for less than 1 month September 24, 2015

Humira (adalimumab): “I currently have severe crohns disease and started humira about 4 weeks ago. I got kind of scared when I saw all the reviews about the pain. My experience was the opposite. It just feels like a normal pinch. When having crohns, you endure much more pain than the shot.”

BMan1979 · Taken for less than 1 month July 2, 2016

Humira (adalimumab): “This medication has been a miracle for me. After loading dose, by day 5 it was like a light switch was toggled. I've been 95% better and feel normal again for first time in 15 years (I'm 36). Nothing else worked and I was miserable with low quality of life. I still have to change my automatic way of thinking: scouting out nearest bathrooms, foregoing meals before social events, etc. I'm gradually branching out from my safe foods list (very small by the time I started Humira). The only side effect had been more severe allergies than usual and a few headaches here and there. The shots are extremely painful for me, but 10-15 seconds of extreme discomfort for 15 Crohn's-free days seems like a very fair trade. So thankful for this medication.”

jaydownsouth · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 26, 2013

Humira (adalimumab): “Was on Remicade until October 2012, after my last colonoscopy and the Dr. saw blockage and he felt it was no longer working even though I felt fine. He moved me to Cimzia which didn't work for me, did that until January when I was switched to Humira. Didn't think it was working but now 3 months later finally feeling like it's effective. Wish they could make a pill form. The injections aren't extremely painful but they don't feel good. Maybe it's different for people with body fat but I have close to none and wont inject anything in my legs.”

talfor24 November 2, 2009

Humira (adalimumab): “I was diagnosed with Crohn's in 1993. In 2006 I began to flare really badly. I had a bowel resection, but was still having a lot of problems. Finally, after spending 21 days in the hospital, my doctor recommended Humira. It saved me. Since starting the Humira, I have not been back in the hospital for my Crohn's. I was even able to compete at a national sporting event this summer and deployed with my unit for the hurricanes last year. If nothing else works, its worth a stick in the belly every couple of weeks to be able to be as close to normal as possible.”

Nicole MK July 28, 2016

Humira (adalimumab): “Humira has been amazing in treating my severe Crohn's. I used to suffer almost every time I'd eaten 7 days/week or unprovoked but now it's gone down to only once or twice. The only reason I'd rate it 9 instead of ten is because the initial injection burns very badly (the medication, not the needle) and can interrupt my day for an hour or so. The pain is worth the long term result. I highly recommend going for it if the option has been made available to you. I have two family members who use it too, one for Crohn's and one for arthritis and it's given them great success as well :)”

Anonymous July 21, 2010

Humira (adalimumab): “I am only 20 and have had Crohn's for about 3 years. I tried a lot but seemed to not work every well. I have never had a bad flare up, but Humira has made me feel almost completely normal again. It's a great drug and even if you are scared of needles it's worth it! ask your doctor about it!!”

Ohio Guy January 5, 2015

Humira (adalimumab): “Had ulcerative colitis/Crohn's Disease for 20+ years. Was on sulfasalazine, taking prednisone for flare-ups. Switched to Lialda 3 years ago. It had fewer side effects, but did not control my condition. After 2 serious bouts of anemia (one hospitalization and 5 units of blood), my doctor decided on Humira. That was 6 months ago. No side effects at first, but recently got a sinus infection (congestion, coughing, very sore throat). Took prescribed antibiotics, but it won't go away. I felt better while taking the antibiotics, but the symptoms returned after they were done. Hope this is not a sign of things to come! Decreased ability to fight infections, right?”

Sallz143 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 18, 2015

Humira (adalimumab): “I've not been on humira for long, for about 4 months, but for me it has not helped with anything. Sure, I might get a little less pain every now and then, but I still feel like I'm being torn apart from the inside out after I eat or when I try to sleep. I'm experiencing many side effects which aren't pleasant. A rare one which I have is being on my period for 2 months, coming off it for a week or two then it coming back on! I still get stomach pain, nausea, joint pain, soreness under my ribs, dry mouth and trouble swallowing, feeling lightheaded, night sweats, trouble sleeping and much more that my consultant decided to look right passed and keep me on this damn thing! I had higher hopes for this, I'm quite disappointed to say the least.”

lee April 8, 2018

Humira (adalimumab): “I've been on Humira for probably four years now. It's the only drug that has worked for me and I've tried many in the 20 years since being diagnosed with Crohn's. I'm in remission. Now I live an active life, raising kids and I'm very thankful because my life no longer rotates around my symptoms. It's very sad to think back to when I was so sick. Of course I worry about the side effects, but had minor ones and it completely outweighs having acute Crohn's flares and multiple complications, hospitalizations. I hate the shot but can't even complain compared to what I've been through in the past.”

cdaddy75 February 20, 2009

Humira (adalimumab): “This medicine caused me to have very high blood pressure over a period of 10 months and even though it helped with some symptoms of my Crohn's Disease, the disease itself continued to progress and led me to my resection surgery. ”

Claudia · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 16, 2018

Humira (adalimumab): “Hello everyone, I was diagnosed with Crohn's in 2015. I started on Pentasa which helped me for the first 6 months. I was having 4-5 loose stools every day and horrible abdominal pain. The quality of my life was going down. I lost 25 lbs at that time. In the beginning of this year, I decided to start Humira. I can say that now, after 9 months of taking it, my quality of life improved tremendously. I was able to gain my 25 lbs back, no pain, no diarrhea. The only thing I have to deal now, are the side effects. My headaches started a week ago and I am a little worried about it. Has anybody used Humira for longer than 4 years? Also, has anybody suffered from heart failure as a side effect of Humira?”

Siscin September 17, 2017

Humira (adalimumab): “Just 2 days after my 1st injection the bleeding, fever, vomiting stopped. With time the diarrhea settled down to 1 to 3 times a day, all the mucus and excessive gas stopped. Six months after starting my colonoscopy show the ulcers and inflammation had cleared and healed completely in the entire large colon down and there was just chronic inflammation in rectum.”

Learn more about Crohn's Disease, Maintenance