Generic Name: Ezetimibe and Simvastatin (ez ET i mibe & SIM va stat in)
Brand Name: Vytorin
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Feb 19, 2019.
Uses of Vytorin:
- It is used to lower bad cholesterol and raise good cholesterol (HDL).
- It is used to lower triglycerides.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Vytorin?
- If you have an allergy to ezetimibe, simvastatin, or any other part of Vytorin (ezetimibe and simvastatin).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you take any drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) that must not be taken with Vytorin (ezetimibe and simvastatin), like certain drugs that are used for HIV, infections, or depression. There are many drugs that must not be taken with Vytorin (ezetimibe and simvastatin). Your doctor or pharmacist can tell you if you are taking a drug that must not be taken with Vytorin (ezetimibe and simvastatin).
- If you have liver disease or raised liver enzymes.
- If you are pregnant or may be pregnant. Do not take Vytorin (ezetimibe and simvastatin) if you are pregnant.
- If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed while you take Vytorin (ezetimibe and simvastatin).
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Vytorin (ezetimibe and simvastatin).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Vytorin (ezetimibe and simvastatin) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Vytorin?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Vytorin (ezetimibe and simvastatin). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- If you have high blood sugar (diabetes), you will need to watch your blood sugar closely.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Follow the diet and workout plan that your doctor told you about.
- Do not take colestipol, cholestyramine, or colesevelam within 4 hours before or 2 hours after Vytorin (ezetimibe and simvastatin).
- Avoid or limit drinking alcohol to less than 3 drinks a day. Drinking too much alcohol may raise your chance of liver disease.
- Avoid grapefruit and grapefruit juice.
- If you are Chinese, talk with your doctor. You could have a greater risk of muscle problems.
- If you are 65 or older, use Vytorin (ezetimibe and simvastatin) with care. You could have more side effects.
- This medicine may cause harm to the unborn baby if you take it while you are pregnant. If you are pregnant or you get pregnant while taking Vytorin (ezetimibe and simvastatin), call your doctor right away.
- Use birth control that you can trust to prevent pregnancy while taking Vytorin (ezetimibe and simvastatin).
How is this medicine (Vytorin) best taken?
Use Vytorin (ezetimibe and simvastatin) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take in the evening.
- Take with or without food.
- Keep taking Vytorin (ezetimibe and simvastatin) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Not able to pass urine or change in how much urine is passed.
- This medicine may cause muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness. Sometimes, a very bad muscle problem may happen that may lead to kidney problems. Rarely, deaths have happened in people who get these problems when taking drugs like this one. Call your doctor right away if you have muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness that is not normal (with or without fever or feeling out of sorts). Call your doctor right away if you have muscle signs that last after your doctor has told you to stop taking Vytorin (ezetimibe and simvastatin).
- Liver problems have happened with drugs like this one. Sometimes, this has been deadly. Call your doctor right away if you have signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
What are some other side effects of Vytorin?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Vytorin?
- Store at room temperature.
- Keep lid tightly closed.
- Protect from light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Vytorin (ezetimibe and simvastatin), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Vytorin (ezetimibe / simvastatin)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 19 Reviews
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: antihyperlipidemic combinations
- FDA Alerts (8)
- FDA Approval History