Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jan 24, 2022.
- Drugs like this one have raised the chance of suicidal thoughts or actions in children and young adults. The risk may be greater in people who have had these thoughts or actions in the past. All people who take Tofranil-PM (imipramine capsules) need to be watched closely. Call the doctor right away if signs like low mood (depression), nervousness, restlessness, grouchiness, panic attacks, or changes in mood or actions are new or worse. Call the doctor right away if any thoughts or actions of suicide occur.
- This medicine is not approved for use in children. Talk with the doctor.
The Tofranil-PM brand name has been discontinued in the U.S. If generic versions of this product have been approved by the FDA, there may be generic equivalents available.
Uses of Tofranil-PM:
- It is used to treat low mood (depression).
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Tofranil-PM?
- If you are allergic to Tofranil-PM (imipramine capsules); any part of Tofranil-PM (imipramine capsules); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have had a recent heart attack.
- If you have taken certain drugs for depression or Parkinson's disease in the last 14 days. This includes isocarboxazid, phenelzine, tranylcypromine, selegiline, or rasagiline. Very high blood pressure may happen.
- If you are taking any of these drugs: Linezolid or methylene blue.
- If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed while you take Tofranil-PM (imipramine capsules).
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Tofranil-PM (imipramine capsules).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Tofranil-PM (imipramine capsules) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Tofranil-PM?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Tofranil-PM (imipramine capsules). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists. This medicine may need to be stopped before certain types of surgery as your doctor has told you. If Tofranil-PM (imipramine capsules) is stopped, your doctor will tell you when to start taking Tofranil-PM (imipramine capsules) again after your surgery or procedure.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how Tofranil-PM (imipramine capsules) affects you.
- To lower the chance of feeling dizzy or passing out, rise slowly if you have been sitting or lying down. Be careful going up and down stairs.
- Do not stop taking Tofranil-PM (imipramine capsules) all of a sudden without calling your doctor. You may have a greater risk of side effects. If you need to stop Tofranil-PM (imipramine capsules), you will want to slowly stop it as ordered by your doctor.
- If you have high blood sugar (diabetes), you will need to watch your blood sugar closely.
- Tell your doctor if you have signs of high or low blood sugar like breath that smells like fruit, dizziness, fast breathing, fast heartbeat, feeling confused, feeling sleepy, feeling weak, flushing, headache, more thirsty or hungry, passing urine more often, shaking, or sweating.
- Talk with your doctor before you drink alcohol or use other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- It may take several weeks to see the full effects.
- You may get sunburned more easily. Avoid sun, sunlamps, and tanning beds. Use sunscreen and wear clothing and eyewear that protects you from the sun.
- Be careful in hot weather or while being active. Drink lots of fluids to stop fluid loss.
- You may need to have an ECG checked before starting Tofranil-PM (imipramine capsules) and while taking it. Talk with your doctor.
- If you are allergic to tartrazine, talk with your doctor. Some products have tartrazine.
- A severe and sometimes deadly problem called serotonin syndrome may happen. The risk may be greater if you also take certain other drugs. Call your doctor right away if you have agitation; change in balance; confusion; hallucinations; fever; fast or abnormal heartbeat; flushing; muscle twitching or stiffness; seizures; shivering or shaking; sweating a lot; severe diarrhea, upset stomach, or throwing up; or very bad headache.
- If you are 65 or older, use Tofranil-PM (imipramine capsules) with care. You could have more side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Tofranil-PM (imipramine capsules) while you are pregnant.
How is this medicine (Tofranil-PM) best taken?
Use Tofranil-PM (imipramine capsules) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- If you feel sleepy after taking Tofranil-PM (imipramine capsules), talk with your doctor. Your doctor may change your dose or when you take Tofranil-PM (imipramine capsules).
- Keep taking Tofranil-PM (imipramine capsules) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- If you take 1 daily dose at bedtime, do not take the missed dose the next morning.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of high or low blood pressure like very bad headache or dizziness, passing out, or change in eyesight.
- Feeling confused.
- Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not there).
- Trouble sleeping.
- Bad dreams.
- Not able to get or keep an erection.
- Change in sex interest.
- Fever, chills, or sore throat; any unexplained bruising or bleeding; or feeling very tired or weak.
- Yellow skin or eyes.
- Chest pain or pressure.
- Fast or abnormal heartbeat.
- Shortness of breath, a big weight gain, or swelling in the arms or legs.
- Weakness on 1 side of the body, trouble speaking or thinking, change in balance, drooping on one side of the face, or blurred eyesight.
- Ringing in ears.
- A burning, numbness, or tingling feeling that is not normal.
- Trouble controlling body movements, twitching, change in balance, trouble swallowing or speaking.
- Severe constipation or stomach pain. These may be signs of a severe bowel problem.
- Trouble passing urine.
- Mouth irritation or mouth sores.
- Enlarged breasts.
- Nipple discharge.
- Swelling of the testicles.
- Hair loss.
- Some people may have a higher chance of eye problems with Tofranil-PM (imipramine capsules). Your doctor may want you to have an eye exam to see if you have a higher chance of these eye problems. Call your doctor right away if you have eye pain, change in eyesight, or swelling or redness in or around the eye.
What are some other side effects of Tofranil-PM?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling dizzy, sleepy, tired, or weak.
- Dry mouth.
- Constipation, diarrhea, stomach pain, upset stomach, throwing up, or feeling less hungry.
- Change in taste.
- Stomach cramps.
- Weight gain or loss.
- Sweating a lot.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Tofranil-PM?
- Store at room temperature protected from light. Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- This medicine comes with an extra patient fact sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it with care. Read it again each time Tofranil-PM (imipramine capsules) is refilled. If you have any questions about Tofranil-PM (imipramine capsules), please talk with the doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about Tofranil-PM (imipramine)
- Side effects
- Drug interactions
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Drug images
- Drug class: tricyclic antidepressants
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.