Generic name: Guaifenesin Liquid [ gwye-FEN-eh-sin ]
Brand names: Guaituss, Robitussin Maximum Strength
Drug class: Expectorants
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on May 10, 2023.
Uses of Robitussin Maximum Strength:
- It is used to thin mucus so it can be taken from the body by coughing.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Robitussin Maximum Strength?
- If you have an allergy to guaifenesin or any other part of Robitussin Maximum Strength (guaifenesin liquid).
- If you are allergic to Robitussin Maximum Strength (guaifenesin liquid); any part of Robitussin Maximum Strength (guaifenesin liquid); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have a cough with a lot of mucus.
- If you have a long-term cough caused by smoking or being around smoke, or lung problems like asthma or emphysema.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Robitussin Maximum Strength (guaifenesin liquid).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Robitussin Maximum Strength (guaifenesin liquid) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Robitussin Maximum Strength?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Robitussin Maximum Strength (guaifenesin liquid). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- If you are on a low-sodium or sodium-free diet, talk with your doctor. Some of these products have sodium.
- If you have phenylketonuria (PKU), talk with your doctor. Some products have phenylalanine.
- Different brands of Robitussin Maximum Strength (guaifenesin liquid) may be for use in different ages of children. Talk with the doctor before giving Robitussin Maximum Strength (guaifenesin liquid) to a child.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Robitussin Maximum Strength (guaifenesin liquid) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Robitussin Maximum Strength) best taken?
Use Robitussin Maximum Strength (guaifenesin liquid) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
- Drink lots of noncaffeine liquids unless told to drink less liquid by your doctor.
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with Robitussin Maximum Strength (guaifenesin liquid). If there is none, ask the pharmacist for a device to measure Robitussin Maximum Strength (guaifenesin liquid).
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you take Robitussin Maximum Strength (guaifenesin liquid) on a regular basis, take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times Robitussin Maximum Strength (guaifenesin liquid) is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Cough that does not go away.
What are some other side effects of Robitussin Maximum Strength?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Robitussin Maximum Strength?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Robitussin Maximum Strength (guaifenesin liquid), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Frequently asked questions
- Does Mucinex help with Covid?
- Does Mucinex help you get pregnant?
- What is the dose for an adult for Robitussin DM? How many times a day?
More about guaifenesin
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Reviews (295)
- Drug images
- Latest FDA alerts (4)
- Side effects
- Dosage information
- Patient tips
- During pregnancy
- Support group
- Drug class: expectorants
- Guaifenesin drug information
- Guaifenesin Extended-Release Tablets
- Guaifenesin Tablets
- Guaifenesin Granules
- Guaifenesin Liquid
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.