Generic Name: Rifampin Capsules (rif AM pin)
Brand Name: Rifadin
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Apr 11, 2019.
Uses of Rifampin Capsules:
- It is used to treat TB (tuberculosis).
- It is used to stop the spread of meningitis in people who carry the bacteria but are not sick with the disease.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Rifampin Capsules?
- If you have an allergy to rifampin or any other part of this medicine (rifampin capsules).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you take any drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) that must not be taken with this medicine (rifampin capsules), like certain drugs that are used for HIV, infections, or depression. There are many drugs that must not be taken with this medicine (rifampin capsules). Your doctor or pharmacist can tell you if you are taking a drug that must not be taken with this medicine (rifampin capsules).
- If you are breast-feeding or plan to breast-feed.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with this medicine (rifampin capsules).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine (rifampin capsules) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Rifampin Capsules?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine (rifampin capsules). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine may affect certain lab tests. Tell all of your health care providers and lab workers that you take this medicine (rifampin capsules).
- Talk with your doctor before you drink alcohol.
- If you have high blood sugar (diabetes), you will need to watch your blood sugar closely. Tell your doctor if you get signs of high blood sugar like confusion, feeling sleepy, more thirst, more hungry, passing urine more often, flushing, fast breathing, or breath that smells like fruit.
- This medicine may stain contact lenses.
- This medicine may affect how much of some other drugs are in your body. If you are taking other drugs, talk with your doctor. You may need to have your blood work checked more closely while taking this medicine (rifampin capsules) with your other drugs.
- A very bad and sometimes deadly reaction has happened with this medicine (rifampin capsules). Most of the time, this reaction has signs like fever, rash, or swollen glands with problems in body organs like the liver, kidney, blood, heart, muscles and joints, or lungs. Talk with the doctor.
- Liver problems have happened with this medicine (rifampin capsules). Sometimes these problems have been deadly in people who had liver disease and in people who took this medicine (rifampin capsules) with other drugs that may raise the chance of liver problems. If you have questions, talk with the doctor.
- Call your doctor right away if you have signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
- A very bad skin reaction (Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis) may happen. It can cause very bad health problems that may not go away, and sometimes death. Get medical help right away if you have signs like red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin (with or without fever); red or irritated eyes; or sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes.
- If you are 65 or older, use this medicine (rifampin capsules) with care. You could have more side effects.
- Birth control pills and other hormone-based birth control may not work as well to prevent pregnancy. Use some other kind of birth control also like a condom when taking this medicine (rifampin capsules).
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this medicine (rifampin capsules) while you are pregnant.
How is this medicine (Rifampin Capsules) best taken?
Use this medicine (rifampin capsules) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take on an empty stomach. Take 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals.
- Do not take antacids within 1 hour of this medicine (rifampin capsules).
- To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
- Keep taking this medicine (rifampin capsules) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- Take with a full glass of water.
- A liquid (suspension) can be made if you cannot swallow pills. Talk with your doctor or pharmacist.
- If a liquid (suspension) is made, shake well before use.
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with this medicine (rifampin capsules). If there is none, ask the pharmacist for a device to measure this medicine (rifampin capsules).
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of kidney problems like unable to pass urine, change in how much urine is passed, blood in the urine, or a big weight gain.
- Feeling very tired or weak.
- Feeling confused.
- Dizziness or passing out.
- Flu-like signs.
- Fever or chills.
- Sore throat.
- Swollen gland.
- Joint pain or swelling.
- Muscle pain or weakness.
- Shortness of breath.
- Chest pain.
- Sweating a lot.
- A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- Swelling in the arms or legs.
- Any unexplained bruising or bleeding.
- Purple spots or redness of the skin.
- Change in balance.
- Not able to focus.
- Change in how you act.
- Period (menstrual) changes.
- Change in eyesight, eye pain, or very bad eye irritation.
- Change in tooth color. These changes may be long-lasting.
- It is common to have diarrhea when taking antibiotics. Rarely, a severe form of diarrhea called C diff–associated diarrhea (CDAD) may happen. Sometimes, this has led to a deadly bowel problem (colitis). CDAD may happen while you are taking an antibiotic or within a few months after you stop taking it. Call your doctor right away if you have stomach pain or cramps, very loose or watery stools, or bloody stools. Do not try to treat diarrhea without first checking with your doctor.
What are some other side effects of Rifampin Capsules?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling sleepy.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Not hungry.
- Stomach cramps.
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Change in color of body fluids to orange or red.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Rifampin Capsules?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from heat and light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Store liquid (suspension) at room temperature or in a refrigerator. Throw away any unused portion after 4 weeks.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this medicine (rifampin capsules), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about rifampin
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 10 Reviews
- Drug class: rifamycin derivatives
- FDA Alerts (2)
- Rifampin Injection
- Rifampin Intravenous (Advanced Reading)
- Rifampin Oral, Intravenous (Advanced Reading)