User Reviews for Rifampin

Also known as: Rifadin, Rifadin IV, Rimactane

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Rifampin.

Bartonellosis

Mycobacterium avium-...ulare, Treatment
4.5

Summary of Rifampin reviews 8.0 9 reviews

Reviews for Rifampin

For Mycobacterium avium-intracellulare, Treatment: "This is my update from previous comment ; I've been on this drug, 3 150 mg caps daily, since 10/2012 with a 6 month break after 2 yrs, at which time I regressed and had to be restarted on it; there are side effects I listed in prev. Review; my diarrhea is better; Fast heart rate; currently experiencing high feelings of anxiety, intermittent fever and chills; periodic severe L side pain in pancreas area; increased lethargy, weakness, painful joints esp. hips, knees, finger joints; wt of 85lbs; are newer & becoming a bit problematic, but I was advised when taken off my drugs for 6 months, if I require restarting therapy, I would remain on them for life. I'm at the end of my 5th yr now! I tend to require hospitalization each November."

GONEAL (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nasal Carriage of Staphylococcus aureus: "I am finishing up a six-week cycle of Rifampin in 6 days and all I have to say is about 2 weeks into the cycle I started to develop a severe leg pain in my achilles tendon area that has progressively gotten worse so bad I have had thoughts of calling 911 in the middle of the night due to the severe 10/10 pain has anyone else experienced pain in their foot leg or even arms and hands while taking Rifampin?"

Tjak99 November 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Tuberculosis, Latent: "I've been on Rifampin for one month and I've had all sorts of side effects. Some days I'm fine, other days not so much. At night I break out in sweats, I got thrush so I had to take medicine for that. I go to doctor in a couple of days and I need to find out if I can stop it. I don't want to go through this for 3 more months."

turnover4585 April 25, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Tuberculosis, Latent: "I just finished a 4 month regimen of Rifampin. It was prescribed when I was tested for TB in preparation for starting on a biologic for Rheumatoid Arthritis. I have no idea how/when I was exposed to TB but I couldn't start the biologic until the latent TB was addressed. I will never know if it was "effective" since I will always test positive for TB antigens but I'm glad I took it-didn't have much of a choice! It was not an easy medication to take but I got through the course of treatment better than I anticipated. I did have slight nausea at the beginning and intermittent watery diarrhea throughout. I don't know if the other side effects (fatigue, primarily) I experienced were side effects of Rifampin or symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis."

LWD (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 17, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Mycobacterium avium-intracellulare, Treatment: "CURRENTLY on rifampin therapy along with ethambutol, zithromax, IV amikacin and prilosec for the MAC. experiencing numerous side effects to include diarrhea, nausea, intermittent episodes of severe vomiting, extreme fatigue, headaches (almost all the time), dizziness, double vision, generalized body aches, and severe cramps in my extremities. It is hard to tell which drug is the culprit. I have experienced two incidences of elevated liver enzymes, which have returned back to within normal limits so far. At this point in my therapy, there has been no documented improvement, but I am told to expect it to take up to two years of therapy for a cure. I will update my experience as time progresses."

GMCO February 7, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Tuberculosis, Latent: "Although it makes my urine darker yellow/orangish color, I rarely experience significant side effects. Occasionally it will upset my stomach, but once you eat that goes away. Hardest part is sticking to the schedule, but I'd rather worry about that for 4 months than 9 or more."

Anonymous January 26, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bartonellosis: "Wonderful antibiotic for Bartonellosis! Few side effects compared to some other antibiotics. High bilirubin levels is usually transient and just needs to be monitored. Has a very short half-life compared to Mycobutin but far less chance of getting a serious side effect. Much easier and less serious side effects than Bactrim."

Anonymous December 9, 2011

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Tuberculosis, Latent: "This is a very intense antibiotic with persistent side effects. I have been on this medication for one month and continue to experience nausea and vomiting. I have been fortunate to not experience reddening of my saliva or tears, but other body fluids have changed. My hepatic enzymes have more than doubled baseline values and continue to climb. It does its job well, but it is a tough 4 months to get through."

Anonymous September 17, 2011

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Rifadin (rifampin) for Tuberculosis, Prophylaxis: "This is very helpful to me. Thanks."

this is cool April 15, 2010