User Reviews for Rifampin

Mycobacterium avium-intracellulare, Treatment 4.5
Summary of Rifampin reviews 6.6 16 reviews

Reviews for Rifampin

Mon · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 25, 2020

For Tuberculosis, Latent: “Prescribed rifampin for latent TB infection. The first month the only side effect was headaches. Followed by insomnia, fatigue and the odd severe stomach cramp. Not a particularly nice drug!”

ayada72 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 30, 2020

For Tuberculosis, Latent: “I have been on Rifampin for three months now for TB and I have one month left. The side effects of the medication are not severe, but they are annoying. At first, I noticed a decreased appetite, but that lasted only a month. I do, however, continue to have upper stomach pain and a feeling of extreme fullness after almost every meal (I take an OTC antacid and gas relief pill and that helps relieve some of the pain). I have developed a pretty bad acne rash on my forehead that was never there before I started Rifampin. I have also noticed frequent lightheadedness after standing up, which never happened before this medication. Lastly, I have experienced a weight loss of about 15 lbs since starting Rifampin. Overall, the medication is bearable, but it has been annoying and I will be happy when I no longer have to take it.”

Mini Granny · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 17, 2020

For Tuberculosis, Latent: “I was prescribed Rifampin in January of 2020 for latent TB. I have about 3 more weeks. When I first started taking it I only had headaches. The headaches subsided. As the months go by it gets worse. I now have no appetite, consistent diarrhea, extreme fatigue and nausea. I had to take this medication to be able to continue taking my RA medication. I will be so glad when this is over. It seems as if there is nothing that can be done.”

Mon · Taken for less than 1 month March 2, 2020

For Tuberculosis, Latent: “I was advised to take the rifampin treatment 3 weeks ago for latent TB and I am still taking it. My experience was terrible. I have fever everyday, nerve pain, I vomit, head ache and I also lose my appetite. Hope I will feel better, please pray for me.”

CAcat · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 9, 2020

For Tuberculosis, Latent: “I was on this medication for 4 months for latent tuberculosis not terrible at all and way better than the other 9 month treatment. Only side effects I experienced were the color change of fluids some lightheadedness and minor arthritis pain.”

Latent · Taken for less than 1 month September 2, 2019

For Tuberculosis, Latent: “I have been started on Rifampin 600mg every day for 4 months for Latent TB. First week was okay, but starting the second week, I’ve had severe headache and sore throat. I had to be rushed to the ER due to the severe pain in my head and neck with difficulty in swallowing. CT scan showed that I have enlarged lymph nodes on both sides of my neck. My blood sugar also is elevated. The doctor prescribed me Motrin as needed for my headache, and it has been working. It is true that Rifampin treatment is a tough one. I’m happy for those who experience only minor side effects. Please do pray for me. Thank you.”

Tb active. · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 26, 2019

For Tuberculosis, Active: “I have been on rifampin for 3 months for my tuberculosis and I have not experienced any negative side effects. I’ve felt really great with more energy.”

GONEAL · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 5, 2017

For Mycobacterium avium-intracellulare, Treatment: “This is my update from previous comment ; I've been on this drug, 3 150 mg caps daily, since 10/2012 with a 6 month break after 2 yrs, at which time I regressed and had to be restarted on it; there are side effects I listed in prev. Review; my diarrhea is better; Fast heart rate; currently experiencing high feelings of anxiety, intermittent fever and chills; periodic severe L side pain in pancreas area; increased lethargy, weakness, painful joints esp. hips, knees, finger joints; wt of 85lbs; are newer & becoming a bit problematic, but I was advised when taken off my drugs for 6 months, if I require restarting therapy, I would remain on them for life. I'm at the end of my 5th yr now! I tend to require hospitalization each November.”

Tjak99 November 11, 2016

For Nasal Carriage of Staphylococcus aureus: “I am finishing up a six-week cycle of Rifampin in 6 days and all I have to say is about 2 weeks into the cycle I started to develop a severe leg pain in my achilles tendon area that has progressively gotten worse so bad I have had thoughts of calling 911 in the middle of the night due to the severe 10/10 pain has anyone else experienced pain in their foot leg or even arms and hands while taking Rifampin?”

turnover4585 April 25, 2016

For Tuberculosis, Latent: “I've been on Rifampin for one month and I've had all sorts of side effects. Some days I'm fine, other days not so much. At night I break out in sweats, I got thrush so I had to take medicine for that. I go to doctor in a couple of days and I need to find out if I can stop it. I don't want to go through this for 3 more months.”

LWD · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 17, 2015

For Tuberculosis, Latent: “I just finished a 4 month regimen of Rifampin. It was prescribed when I was tested for TB in preparation for starting on a biologic for Rheumatoid Arthritis. I have no idea how/when I was exposed to TB but I couldn't start the biologic until the latent TB was addressed. I will never know if it was "effective" since I will always test positive for TB antigens but I'm glad I took it-didn't have much of a choice! It was not an easy medication to take but I got through the course of treatment better than I anticipated. I did have slight nausea at the beginning and intermittent watery diarrhea throughout. I don't know if the other side effects (fatigue, primarily) I experienced were side effects of Rifampin or symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis.”

GMCO February 7, 2013

For Mycobacterium avium-intracellulare, Treatment: “CURRENTLY on rifampin therapy along with ethambutol, zithromax, IV amikacin and prilosec for the MAC. experiencing numerous side effects to include diarrhea, nausea, intermittent episodes of severe vomiting, extreme fatigue, headaches (almost all the time), dizziness, double vision, generalized body aches, and severe cramps in my extremities. It is hard to tell which drug is the culprit. I have experienced two incidences of elevated liver enzymes, which have returned back to within normal limits so far. At this point in my therapy, there has been no documented improvement, but I am told to expect it to take up to two years of therapy for a cure. I will update my experience as time progresses.”

Anonymous January 26, 2012

For Tuberculosis, Latent: “Although it makes my urine darker yellow/orangish color, I rarely experience significant side effects. Occasionally it will upset my stomach, but once you eat that goes away. Hardest part is sticking to the schedule, but I'd rather worry about that for 4 months than 9 or more.”

Anonymous December 9, 2011

For Bartonellosis: “Wonderful antibiotic for Bartonellosis! Few side effects compared to some other antibiotics. High bilirubin levels is usually transient and just needs to be monitored. Has a very short half-life compared to Mycobutin but far less chance of getting a serious side effect. Much easier and less serious side effects than Bactrim.”

Anonymous September 17, 2011

For Tuberculosis, Latent: “This is a very intense antibiotic with persistent side effects. I have been on this medication for one month and continue to experience nausea and vomiting. I have been fortunate to not experience reddening of my saliva or tears, but other body fluids have changed. My hepatic enzymes have more than doubled baseline values and continue to climb. It does its job well, but it is a tough 4 months to get through.”

this is cool April 15, 2010

Rifadin (rifampin) for Tuberculosis, Prophylaxis: “This is very helpful to me. Thanks.”